[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 38

File: a1X0d0b_460s_v1.jpg (37KB, 427x415px) Image search: [Google]
a1X0d0b_460s_v1.jpg
37KB, 427x415px
Holy shit I solved a captcha.
>>
What is the actual battery percentage when a phone says it's at 0%? 50%? 90%? Cause like, in a car the battery voltage doesn't go to 0 before it's useless, usually it drops by 1 volt out of 12 and then it's dead.
>>
Why doesn't running
awful.mouse.resize.set_mode("after")

Seem to work? I'm having problems with live updates during window resize on awesome being a little slow due to this being a VM and this sounds like a great solution for me, to update windows once I let go of the key but I get an error about trying to populate a nil field.
>>
this website says that I can only read an encrypted microsd from the same phone i encrypted it on

is that true?

if i encrypt a microsd on my pc (thinkpad with ubuntu), will it be readable and writable on my android?

or do i need to load the files i want onto the microsd first, then encrypt it from my phone?

no weird shit, I just do not like the idea that if the phone ever gets stolen, someone can see pictures of me and my family if they take out the card and mount it on a pc
>>
File: xinit.png (51KB, 754x517px) Image search: [Google]
xinit.png
51KB, 754x517px
>arch
>gdm
>.xinitrc exists and can be run manually
>.xinitrc does not run on startup

What the fuck is the disconnect here?

>>56377258
Yeah I know, I just need the fucking ThinkPad trackpoint configuration commands to run on login or startup, they don't get called unless I run them manually after I log in
>all the other xinitrc shit that should exist has been removed because I have to run it manually
>>
>>56377276
Phone battery percentages are largely artificial. For instance it's damaging for a phone to stay at fully charged, so when you charge it all the way up it will actually then let itself discharge 5% or so but keep saying 100% so people don't wig out.
>>
File: 12-120-613-09.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
12-120-613-09.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
WHAT THE FUCK DO I SEARCH TO GET THE OPPOSITE OF THIS

THERE ARE NO DP FEMALE TO DVI MALE RESULTS
>>
>>56377355
>Yeah I know, I just need the fucking ThinkPad trackpoint configuration commands to run on login or startup, they don't get called unless I run them manually after I log in
Have you considered using whatever method your wm has for autostarting programs and just adding a script for your wm to start?
>>
>>56377395
Just turn it around. I think the real problem is going to be having your monitor 2 inches from the back of your PC.
>>
>>56377355
.xinitrc is ONLY for startx. If you want something to run with your DE, let the DE start it.
>>
>>56377402
I'll try that, but isn't .xinitrc supposed to run every time x starts regardless?
>>
>>56377447
No, the issue is that I want a displayport to HDMI or DVI adapter. As in Female Displayport to Male HDMI or DVI.

Cannot fucking find one. Everything is the reverse of that.
>>
>So how about
>Order two intel cpu on amazon an i7 and a celeron
>Delid both
>Crack the die on the celeron and put the i7 HFS on it
>Return it as a faulty i7 and get refunded
>Keep the i7 with the celeron lid
>???
>What could go wrong?
>>
>>56377476
No, see >>56377451
>>
>>56377395
DP female cable is not allowed by DP spec.
>>
>>56377496
>DP female cable is not allowed by DP spec.
So the only solution is a DP male to HDMI male cable or just HDMI cable then?

I am trying to avoid using the DP port on my GPU because they are defective in Maxwell and cause Black Screen of Death if the monitor is turned off/low power.
>>
>>56377219
mmmmm this breed of dog is really tasty...
>>
how much JavaScript do you need to know to make chrome extensions ?
>>
>>56377603
more than you need to know for userscripts
>>
>>56377524
Sure. Or you could just turn that baby around like I said and throw in a nice hdmi cable. It's all the same. If you're not exceeding 1080p you don't even have to worry about resolution limitations.
>>
>>56377660
>If you're not exceeding 1080p you don't even have to worry about resolution limitations.
I am using 1440p.
>Or you could just turn that baby around like I said and throw in a nice hdmi cable
I really don't understand how this could work. I /do not/ want to use the DisplayPort port on my graphics card because it is fucked by design. I /do/ want to use that port on my monitor. I don't understand how I could do this with a DisplayPort cable because, as you said, female DisplayPort adapters do not exist.

Seems like my only solution is to buy an HDMI 2.0 cable.
>>
>>56377451
>>56377492
turns out it was just supposed to be .xprofile instead of .xinitrc which is sourced by most DMs on arch... I've been running .xinitrc manually on every boot for almost two years...
>>
>>56377524
>DP female cable is not allowed by DP spec.
I'm 95% certain I have a miniDP to female DP adapter somewhere that is a 6" cable
>>
>>56377684
There's no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable. All hdmi cables except hella legacy ones are the same. What you need to watch out for is a monitor that's not 2.0 complaint. If you're going DVI you just need to make sure it's a dual link cord.
>>
>>56377713
Yeah these exist
>>
>>56377728
Now if one of those existed with an HDMI male end it would be great, but they don't.
>>
>>56377219
Just how much free space does an SSD need? I have a 120g ssd for my OS and 1 very large steam game. The ssd is currently at 40g free but when the game updates it balloons to 15g free, then goes back down.
>>
I want to change the color of the background in transparent .png images on 4chan with custom CSS but I don't know what to change. They currently show up as the default light blue even though my style is set to mostly grey. Anyone know what to do here?
>>
>>56377896
I know 4chan X does this, but I don't know how.
>>
>>56377896
should note I mean the thumbnail, when expanded the transparent parts are properly transparent
>>
If you had physical access to my computer's hard drive, what information would you be able to find out about how I use my computer?
>>
I want to clean out my laptop because after 10 minutes it smells like burnt toast and turns off.

I got the case the case off and everything and everything appears to be fine but I can't go any deeper without tiny microscopic screw drivers.

Is there a set of these you'd recommend, preabl magnetized? I'm sure I'll need them again.
>>
>>56377912
>>56377896
You have to replace the png with the fullsize version scaled down, the thumbnails are jpg which don't support transparency and 4chan's thumbnailer just chooses blue for where transparency should be
>>
>>56377913
In that case, 4chan X does not do that.
>>
>>56377941
that's damn unfortunate, but thank you for the quick response
>>
File: arch.png (4KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
4KB, 150x150px
>>
>>56377936
I think a little eyeglass kit works fine, unless they're torx (looks like a sheriff's badge), in which case you can buy a little torx kit
To clean out laptops I usually use a vacuum or compressed air, just watch out that you don't destroy your fans.
also don't buy gaming laptops especially acer you're just signing up to have it die of heat after ~2 years
>>
File: png.gif (576KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
png.gif
576KB, 3840x2160px
>>56378077
>>56377978
It can
>>
How do I learn Japanese?
>>
>>56378077
ARSCH
>>
Using mpv, why do I see the counter of "VO", "mistimed" and "delayed" rising rapidly, as soon as the frame time (render+present) gets above the refresh rate, even though it's still way below the actual 24fps rate of the video itself, so there shouldn't be a reason to drop anything.

It's like mpv is re-rendering the same video frame for every vsync frame
>>
>>56378083
Yeah of course. This is a Dell, not sure of the model offhand. It's not a deal breaker it's definitely paid for itself over its long life, but I figured the experience would at least be educational and nothing wrong with an extra pc if I can somehow stop this.
>>
i wanna make a program that can access subtitle files, are they embedded in different video codecs? or is there always a .srt file?

What language would be best for playing a video and allowing me to access the subtitles
>>
>>56378116
rosetta stone
>>
What the fuck drains my tablet when it's not even doing anything and basically just waits for notifications?
It's at 50% while my phone is at like 90%
>>
>>56378230
apps in the background or wifi
>>
>>56378250
I've closed all my apps and why would wifi kill it so badly? My phone is about the same
>>
>>56377478
as long as the heat spreader fits on the celeron chip...i htink you may have just had a million dollar idea
>>
Is there any real reason to update windows? I have like 1.8gb's of updates because I turned updates off in 2014
>>
>>56378331
what version are you running?
>>
Want to know the best bang for buck go pro I can get. I am wanting to record a 32 mile bicycle music festival. Thanks in advance
>>
>>56378364
8.1 I have had little to no problems
>>
>>56378394
>measuring music festival in miles
what
>>
I just bought a cheap laptop for general usage (Ivy Bridge i5, 11.6") and I don't feel like putting Linux on it. Should I install Windows 7 or Windows 10? It has a touch screen but I dunno if I want the whole touch interface.
>>
>>56378413
>murrica
>everything is miles
>>
>>56378405
no reason to update
>>
>>56378394
what the hell is a bicycle music festival
>>
Just tried ctrlc ctrlv and few other shortcuts that dont work on win7 on ubuntu with bootable usb. Doesnt work there either. Is that confirmation that issue is definately hardware related. That doesnt make any sense because ctrl a works fine and c and v work as well.

How hard is to replace keyboard on dell latitude e5430. Do i need special equipment? I have few pieces and time to do it, question is is it possible with kitchen knife and couple of screwdrivers only?
>>
>>56378168
A lot of containers can have embedded subs, MKV and MP4 come to mind. I'm sure there are others but I don't know exactly which support it.
I recommend python for your project, because I'm sure there's a module for doing that.
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-01+at+04.55.09).jpg (124KB, 579x769px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-01+at+04.55.09).jpg
124KB, 579x769px
this mint swack or na?
>>
>>56378479
did you try the other control key?
Dell laptops have been known to only allow ctrl and c on the RIGHT control key
>>
>>56378468
thank
>>
>>56378416
10, ciz it'll run alot faster on the hardware
>>
>>56378538
welcome
>>
>>56378524
did you seriously black out a key to an 18 year old operating system
>>
>>56378559
i might want to use it for my 4chan computer in the future
>>
>>56378559
that doesn't authenticate online btw
>>
what's something that's comparable to the xps 13
genuinely considering a macbook because dells are retardedly priced in australia
>>
>>56378531
Yes. It doesnt work either. In fact looks like right ctrl doesnt work at all since when i hold ctrl and press c or v it writes c or v. When i try that with left ctrl it doesnt write c or v.
>>
File: 1433451445790.png (256KB, 636x708px) Image search: [Google]
1433451445790.png
256KB, 636x708px
nonsenseStr = '/g/ I know that you know that I don't deserve anything
I know that you know that 90% of these threads are questions, 9% anime, and of course, last, but not least, FINALLY theres that 1% of incorrect answers';

MemeCave:
mov eax,nonsenseStr
push eax //push base address where autismal string is written
call Autismal_Autistic_Autism
cmp byte ptr [GotHelp], 00//00 == no // 01 yes
jne Helped//if the value of GotHelp is anything but 00, jump to helped
push [Sadness]
call Feels
mov ebx, End_it
push ebx
call No_One
xor eax, eax //set eax 0
call eax //call 0......crash
Helped:
push [heppy]
call Feels
mov eax, Anon//anons house address
mov ebx, Me//my address
mov ecx, [ebx+08]//the value of me into ecx
mov [edx], ecx//move all of me into anons house
push [eax+08] //push me on to the stack
call Talk
push 12inches
call Buttsex
push 1000
call sleep

/g/ how do enable spell check on skype?
in exchange i gave some code and i even added comments to help you
>>
>>56378416
7 for "my computer"
10 for "this PC"
>>
>>56377919
bumping my question
>>
I downloaded a bunch of zipped albums, is there any way to unzip the files as a folder named the same thing as the zip archive? W7
>>
>>56377919
exactly everything
>>
Is there a way to download several Mega links with ~1GB files on each? MegaSync has a data cap of like 1.5GB, and the site won't let you directly download them unless you install a browser extension, which I'm sure will have the same limit
>>
>>56377395
Are you dumb?

Get a standard DVI to DP adapter and stick one of these on the end.

https://amzn.com/B003KQ6BMC
>>
>>56378750
Can you be a bit more specific? Would you be able to see the entire internet browsing history for that computer? What about if I'd been using Tor?
>>
>>56378783
if you save it, yes. tor or not
>>
>>56378783
>be more specific

Ship me your hard drive and I will be as specific as I can.
>>
My SSD just arrived today, and I used that Samsung cloning thing to get my OS in it.

Turns out it doesn't have the booting files or wathever.

Is there some turnaround to that or will I have to install a new windows there? Can I actually install windows 10 in it or will I need to install 7?
>>
>>56377747
>>56378779
You need an active converter to go from DVI to DP
>>
>>56378875
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Video-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0017K6BD2/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1472764946&sr=1-2&keywords=dvi+to+displayport+passive
no, you don't
>>
>>56378799
What do you mean by 'save it'? Assuming (a) that I'd simply cleared browsing history and cookies etc or (b) used Tor - would you, from the hard drive, be able to see what sites I'd visited, what I'd typed on chatrooms, and things like that?

>>56378803
The hard drive in question is being held by someone else, unfortunately. I'm asking for a friend who's in a spot of bother and is even less tech-savvy than me (and I'm not very tech-savvy). I'd like to be able to assist them by understanding the situation a bit better.
>>
>>56378909
That's displayport to DVI, not DVI to displayport
The reverse is a different matter
>>
>>56378926
if your delete all of your history there's still the possibility of data recovery from your hdd. assume that everything written unencrypted to an hdd and not overwritten after is recoverable, because it is
>>
Is my hard drive dying?

> Recently set up dualboot with Win10 and Debian
> OS' installed on SSD, no problem
> Also have 1TB drive
> Was previously used without issue for ~2 years for Steam games and downloads
> Now 2 partitions: one for /home - ext4, one for Steam games (only used on Windows) - ntfs
> Have zero problems using the drive for /home
> The steam partition constantly shits itself

Steam gets write errors, and then the disk goes dead. Folders are all still there, but when you go in, no files. I often reboot to Debian and run ntfsfix on the drive, which briefly fixes it until I write to it heavily again.

I gave up last night and when it was working, copied all the files to an external drive. I Initially thought it was just the filesystem shitting bricks cause of the two partitions somehow, so I wiped the drive completely and repartitioned it with /home at the start of the drive, games at the end. /home works absolutely fine, all my files are there etc no issue, however the ntfs partition died again as I was copying across the files from the external HD.

There's no clicking and no issues show up on SMART (however, tools such as CrystalDiskInfo and DiskCheckup cannot read the SMART info once the drive has "died").
>>
how the hell is my flimsy motherboard meant to hold my giant cpu cooler when inside the case against gravity?
I'm worried that it is so large it will fall and damage my other components.
Is this realistic?
>>
>>56379055
If you installed in properly and don't put it through a clothes dryer it should be fine.
>>
>>56379012
Sorry to keep pressing and sorry if this is obvious, but it's important I know exactly the situation here - (with respect to internet activity) exactly what information is saved to the hdd, and in what form is it recoverable? And regarding actual files, can files that have been 'permanently deleted' from the recycle bin be recovered from the hard drive? I should say here that I have no idea what the precise details of the incident are, I just want to assist this person so that they know all the information.
>>
Will Win8 drivers work on Win7? GF fucked her laptop installing Win10 and it came factory with Win8, but she hates it and wants Win7.
>>
Gonna upgrade my setup, should I buy another 2 matching monitors or pair of bookshelf speakers and amp
>>
>>56379104
Well one of the screws was giving me trouble during the installation
How bad would it be if I turned the computer on its side to prevent it falling and damaging anything?
>>
>>56379155
If you had your internet browsing history saved at all at any point it was written to disk. Anything written to disk and erased just by putting it in the recycling bin is potentially recoverable.
>>
>>56379179
If you're paranoid enough to do that then fine, it won't hurt anything.
>>
For games like Titanfall 2 and Doom at 1080p would a 1060 be enough or should I go for a 1070?
>>
File: 1470042505597.jpg (69KB, 712x750px) Image search: [Google]
1470042505597.jpg
69KB, 712x750px
Can someone comment on how to unfuck this build? Has a single "custom" part, an intel m.2 over pcie

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WZhLsJ

I'd appreciate comments on bottlenecks, cheaper but equally powerful alternatives, "oh shit nigga you need fans," etc.
>>
>>56378468
>>>56378394 (You)
>what the hell is a bicycle music festival
Tha KS for your help faggots. Google pedalors jamboree
>>
>>56379170
desu pls respond
>>
>>56379245
forgot to mention this should be for a 1080p gaymen build
>>
>>56379155
When you write to a disk through a filesystem, 0's and 1's are physically written on the platter(s).

When a filesystem (software) is deleting something (exclude the recycle bin from this, that's just something in the UI, basically) it just marks the space on the physical drive as being empty. It doesn't actually remove any data, just metadata (filename, directory, creation time, etc). The actual file is still there. There is software you can download right now to see deleted files (google photorec).
>>
going back to windows.
Should I get windows 7,8 or 10?

And can you tell me why that one over the others?
>>
How do I find out what elements on a webpage are taking up the most amount of memory?
This webpage is taking up 17.6MB. I know that thanks to a Firefox add-on.
But how do I inspect a page according to the file size?
>my goal, I want to remove elements from a page to make it faster
>>
>>56379306
7, better appearance and interface
>>
On a fresh W7 SP1 install. Windows Update gets stuck, trying to manually install security updates also gets stuck. After some google searching found it could be a trojan or other malware but an avast scan brought up nothing.

Should I try another quick free antivirus or try something else?
>>
>>56379191
So if the person was using a standard browser and then deleting history every month or two, all of that data would be saved to disk and recoverable? What about if they used incognito mode? What about if they used Tor? I have been told by someone who ought to know that internet activity on Tor is still recoverable to the police, but it is possible he might have been trying to intimidate me.

>>56379280
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, that means that there's actually no way of permanently deleting any file that has ever been saved onto your computer? Unless, presumably, the physical hard drive is permanently destroyed.
>>
>>56379306
8.1 is respectable, so far as windows is ever respectable, now that they've stopped whoring 10 on it, but it's pretty botnet given recent, ignorable updates

10 offers dx12 support if you're into that sort of thing, but it's botnet

7 is light and not as botnet, but doesn't support dx12. Probably the way to go if you don't want dx12
>>
>>56379326
You just installed windows 7, why would there be a virus?
I read somewhere about some update you have to manually install or something. Could be wrong though because that was a fix for updates in general, not security updates
>>
>>56379336
.there's actually no way of permanently deleting any file that has ever been saved onto your computer?
No, just by default deleting things through the recycling bin does not do this, you need a tool that will actually overwrite the file instead of just marking it as empty. Just look for something that does secure erase.
>>
>>56379326
OH I should mention that the search that led me to the possibility of malware being the cause was from an error message interrupting the manual install. I interrupted the "Windows Update" service through the Services GUI as per advice through a previous Google search to try and force the manual update to stop from getting stuck on "Searching for updates"

Sorry if this seems convoluted, I just want some fucking updates.
>>
>>56379336
>So, if I'm understanding you correctly, that means that there's actually no way of permanently deleting any file that has ever been saved onto your computer? Unless, presumably, the physical hard drive is permanently destroyed.

there is, overwrite the data with something else. either by complete accident or with intention
>>
>>56379354
What's dx12 for? Just for recent games?
>>
>>56379336
you can absolutely permanently delete files, there are programs available which will overwrite data 1, 2, 7, etc times using only 0s or 1s

windows does not, by default, allow this. you need a separate program
>>
>>56377684
>plug DP in to monitor
>run DVI cable from monitor to DVI port on computer

unless I'm missing something?
>>
>>56379378
yes, recent and upcoming games. your current library will almost exclusively use dx9, 10, or 11

shameless bump for my own question >>56379245
>>
>>56379358
That's my thought process, I've never gotten a virus in over 3 years of not having an antivirus. I'm not a dumbass but shit happens.

That's the first thing I came across but those manual updates also got stuck on "Searching for Windows Updates to install" or whatever the message is. That's what led me to installing a security update manually. Could be that interrupting the service as mentioned in >>56379365 was what brought up the error (makes sense that a simple trojan would interrupt updates through that method).

So I most likely don't have a virus but I manual updates still get stuck. Any suggestions?
>>
>>56379374
>>56379380
>>56379388
Do you know if CCleaner does this? That was mentioned to me, but I have no experience with it and I don't know what it can be used for.
>>
>>56379380
>overwrite data 1, 2, 7, etc times using only 0s or 1s
I never understood the point of that. If you've overwritten the data once with 0's, is there any scientific evidence that shows data can still be recovered from those overwritten sectors?
>>
is there anything wrong with either of these outside of the price?

how overpriced are they?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274083-REG/intel_mid_range_gaming_computer_build.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274084-REG/intel_kit.html
>>
>>56379446
I think there was, but it might just be pentagon number wanking. DoD standard is 7x rewrite
>>
>>56379424
yes, it has options to do that
>>
>>56379446
yes but it's pretty much only possible with professional equipment. zero writes are more than enough for stopping shit like recuva.

the problem is most people think just deleting the pointers to the data is enough.
>>
can someone give me most recent debian sources.list? i am on kernel 3.16 and it's been awhile sinc ei used debian.
>>
>>56379455
the 1060 build might be a bit overpriced, the 1070 build looks reasonable, but I'd put everything through pcpartpicker or whatever equivalent you use and see if you can get discounts on them because I'm a cheap bastard
>>
>>56379455
>is there anything wrong with either of these outside of the price?
Yes. Buying non DX12 capable cards right now is fucking retard mode.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/B3q8r7

For movies.anime and AAA games like Doom and BF1
>>
>>56379030
Bampu
>>
>>56377827

The answer is exactly 12.2GiB. It doesn't matter how large your SSD is, as long as you have 12.2GiB free it won't impact performance whatsoever. You can test this by filling your SSD all the way up to aformentioned limit and then running a speed test. You will notice your hard drive functions exactly the same as if it were half full.

The reason has to do with physics, the physics of silicon and quantum physics. As long as you have 12.2GiB free in the SSD the silicon won't experience quantum tunneling, which hinders performance. SSDs have an error correcting code built in them along with SMTA and other technologies that try to fix the error writes caused by tunneling, but using it makes the SSD slower. Because of this however manufacturers can sell their SSDs at 120GiB while effectively they have less space unless you want write and read speeds to drop 2/3.

Samsung actually found a way to go around this with their 850 EVO, the 3d nand thing refers to this technology. It uses a certain kind of cache for when you have less than 12.2GiB free so it doesn't experience decresed speed. This doesn't apply for large files, but pictures etc will load much faster. I think Kingston and other manufacturers are working on a similar kind of thing for their next gen of SSDs but right now Samsung is the best buy even though it's GGE TLD instead of JJE.

There's rumors that the Samsung 860 EVO will use quark treated silicon which doesn't have limitations at all but so far they haven't been able to produce a demo for the public.
>>
>>56379326
>>56379417
Sorry for being impatient but I would like some other suggestions if anyone else is up to it. I've been at this for almost a week now and I'm at my wit's end.
>>
Is it possible to drag and drop images from chrome into folders without a fucking context menu appearing?
>>
>>56379629
yes, on osx
>>
>>56379534
doesn't the 1070 support dx12?

i would be able to get a new card eventually either way right?
>>
>>56379629

Yeah, but you have to disable it from the advanced settings or just press ctrl w to shut it down.
>>
>>56379644
>doesn't the 1070 support dx12?
not async compute which is the most important part.
>>
>>56379629
Yes, I do it quite often every day. In fact I've never seen a context menu when I've tried to do this, what the hell are you talking about?
>>
What type of code will I be writing for the average employer?
>>
>>56379644

It's designed for DX11, if you use it with DX12 it will just run a virtual machine which hosts DX12. That's why you get less performance gains with DX12 compared to DX11. AMD doesn't do this so their cards benefit more from DX12.

The 1070 and 1080 are just rebranded 900-series cards. Sure, they are new, but their cores are only 10% different in design approximately and they are designed to run DX11 primarily.
>>
>>56379336
gutmann that shit if you want to nuke a drive
>>
File: IMG_20160901_181045.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160901_181045.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
How do I get into this shitty Windows Phone
>>
Why do people use Mac or Linux?

..Legit question.
>>
File: 1469757924286.jpg (64KB, 552x528px) Image search: [Google]
1469757924286.jpg
64KB, 552x528px
>>56379590
>quark treated silicon
>>
>>56379663
When I drag an image from 4chan into Dolphin, it gives me a context menu: copy, move or link
>>
>>56377393
>it's damaging for a phone to stay at fully charged

isn't that a meme?
>>
>>56379700
>drag an image from 4chan into Dolphin
why would you ever want to do this
how do you even do this?
>>
Trying to load a windows OS onto my computer from a bootable flash drive. Everytime that I try, the logo pops up like it's working, then it all shuts down and restarts itself, just repeating this cycle. Wat doo?
>>
>>56379737
It's moderately damaging for the battery, not nearly as damaging as leaving it at 0% though.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1472026598466.jpg (84KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1472026598466.jpg
84KB, 720x900px
I don't know if this is better suited for /v/ or here but my 380 is hitting 84c at 70% fan speed when playing the battlefield 1 beta. Is this temperature at this fan speed a concern or is it OK? Should I clean the card?
>>
Is it better to buy an i5 6600k with an overclock mobo and top coolers OR a locked i7 6700 with a okay mobo and stock cooler?
>>
>>56379689

Because they are technically superior operating systems. They are actually very similar, but where OS X is closer to BSD, Linux is more of its own design.

Compared to Windows, both UNIX-like systems are better in design. You have to understand Windows is mostly made by a bunch of Indians, where OS X and most big distros are made by people who actually understand what they are doing.

If OS X were to be released to all computers I think Windows, in its current shape, might lose the throne. OS X doesn't update by itself and break drivers, Linux doesn't do that either. Linux will never be mainstream because of the copyleft movement, but OS X isn't so tight about that.

If you want to know the main difference, try doing something with powershell. It's useless. Then learn to use the console in OS X or Linux and learn why people prefer those two for real work.
>>
>>56379788

You're actually better off buying the 6700 with a shit mobo because it has 8 effective cores and will turbo itself when you need the extra speed. The 6600K is just a meme.
>>
>>56379820
Nice. Thanks my dear friendo.
>>
>>56379820
>hyperthreading means 4 more cores

lol no.
>>
>>56379863

You better read up about HT.
>>
>>56379820
>8 effective cores
That's not how it works

>>56379788
Depends on if your load is single thread heavy or multithreaded
A 6600k overclocked will have much better single thread performance than a 6700, but the 6700 will probably have better multithreaded performance.
>>
>>56379660
why is it the most important part right now? what games are expected to implement it?
>>
>>56379926
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
>>
>>56379904
why are you telling me this?

logical cores are not and will never be physical cores. they're not the same thing nor do they achieve the same goal.
>>
>>56379925

Oh is that so? I imagine you don't have an i7 because you can't afford it but if you would stop wasting your money on wonderbread you might be able to ctrl alt del and open task manager and see it has 8 FUCKING CORES.

you can't even imagine how often I have to tell this to people...
>>
>>56379925
Would the stock i7 be more "futureproof" than a 6600k? Or is it the other way around? Lets say for gaming.
>>
>>56379926
>why is it the most important part right now?
Because it's one of the most important reasons DX12 is being lauded as much as it is.
>>
>>56379974
Okay, so bait is confirmed
Here's a final (You)
>>
just got a macbook for school and having issues with desktop backgrouds

I found a particular picture I want to use as my desktop background so I rightcliked or control clicked it or whatever you call it, I chose set as desktop background and confirmed it. The thing is is that the popup window stays like that saying "Saving picture" indefinitely. Ok, that's weird. I close out of that window and try doing it the long way. I saved the image to an images folder on my desktop then went to system preferences to change it there. The problem is my images folder doesn't show up. Eventually I figured out how to display the images folder but it shows no images in the box to the right. Even after navigating and double clicking the image I want it just opens it up in Preview.

Is there some step im missing to get a custom image to be set as my desktop background? As someone who has worked with computers for years I feel absolutely clueless
>>
I'm looking for a piece of software that works as an integrated dictionary.
When highlighting a word and right clicking, I want it to give me an option to Define (so it would be under Copy, for example, the define selection.)

Suggestions? Preferably the software be based on a respectable, actual dictionary, like merriam-webster.
>>
>>56379974
>A physical core is what it sounds like - an actual physical processor core in your CPU. Each physical core has its own circuitry and its own L1 (and usually L2) cache can read and execute instructions separately (for the most part) from the other physical cores on the chip.

>A logical core is more of a programming abstraction than an actual physical entity. A simple definition of a logical core is that it is a processing unit that is capable of executing its own thread in parallel with other logical cores. In fact you could say that a logical core is the same as a thread.

>You can have multiple logical cores per physical core. However logical cores share resources with other logical cores operating on the same physical core, so having more logical cores will not necessarily get you the same performance increase as having more physical cores.

google and you'll literally see how autistic you are
i'm gonna call bait before you say 'lel trolled' because there's no coming back from this amount of stupid
>>
>>56379746
I expand the image, and to save it, I simply want to drag the image to the destination folder. Its more efficient than clicking->save as
>>
>>56379978
nope, other way around because you can, given the proper cooling, overclock the shit out of the i5, while the i7 is locked to a certain max speed

a locked i7 will always have the advantage over a same generation overclockable i5 in multithreaded applications, just not single threaded
>>
>>56379978

The i7 is more expensive for a reason. Of course it will be better in the future because it effectively has more cores.

What do you think will matter more? 8 cores or 4 overclocked cores. 8 x 3.5 Ghz = 28 Ghz, 4 x lets say 4.4Ghz = 17.6 Ghz.

See now?
>>
>>56380022
Then just do it. I don't know what nonsense Chrome version you're on but since the first day I've used this and today on the most recent version I have not once encountered a context menu for drag-and-dropping images.
>>
I have a shitty Sentey Gs-6007 Cyberia case.
Can I stick a red devil 480 in it?
>>
>>56379788
gaymes still don't parallelize their workloads very well so the 6600k is probably your best bet.
>>
In performance the motherboard is useless right? Its all matter of more/less features like USB, RAM frequency, SLI/crossfire isnt it?

If im getting a locked i7 and a gtx1070 i might as well pick some b150/h110 mobo instead of z170 mobos right?

Is it true that DDR4 b150 mobos only run 2133mhz RAM?
>>
>>56380020

Uhh.. Did you read that yourself? It practically SAYS RIGHT THERE hyperthreading is effectively doubling the cores you fucking moron.

I can go on google and copypaste stuff I don't understand and present them as facts hoping the other guy won't realise I'm full of shit.

This is a stupid questions thread. People come here for answers.
>>
>>56380048
I am using chrome 53. I can't just drag and drop it
>>
srsly tho, can someone answer >>56379245?

want the better dx11 performance from nvidia and plan to mod skyrim as much as humanly possible, so vram is kinda important to me

what can I be doing better?
>>
>>56379978
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1554?vs=1544

Assume with overclocking the i5 will perform 20% faster than the listed scores, so the i7 still beats it in many multithreaded benchmarks, but not by much. The 6600k will win in all single threaded benchmarks by a large margin
>>
>>56380072
a stupid questions thread, not a stupid answers thread

don't samefag a question and answer just to bait
you should have better things to do
>>
File: damage control.jpg (72KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
damage control.jpg
72KB, 650x650px
>>56380092

Dude drop the ego
>>
>>56380033
>>56380040
>>56380068
I see. If I get the 6600k would the CM Master Hyper 212x and a Z170 be enough to overclock it to surpass the i7?
>>
>>56380115

No. Wake up, the cooler won't help anything. Again overclocking a 4 core is only overclocking 4 cores instead of having 8 cores.

The i7 has turbo clocking anyway.
>>
>>56380085
Nice.
Going to search more aboutt the 6600k then. I almost pulled the trigger on the i7.
>>
>>56380115
assuming you're talking about vidya and not media production then yeah
>>
Should I buy a pair of Asus PB258Q or a pair of ELAC Uni-fi UB5 and amp

Currently I have a 24" 1080p monitor a gtx 1070 and some 5.1 logitech speaker system
>>
>>56380115
>CM Master Hyper 212x
kek'd

yeah it's fine. we both know you're gonna use the ASUS overclock button so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>56380148
I see.

The 6700 is at the same price of the 6600k plus CM 212 cooler here.
>>
>>56380148
>The i7 has turbo clocking anyway.
intel turbo is little bitch turbo, it's meant for boring shit like "safety" and "legal liability" not fun
>>
>>56380158

The ELAC won't do you anything. You have to spend at least 2 times that much to gain any noticible difference in sound quality.
>>
>>56377219
my thinkpad hdd is failing, so i ordered a ssd to replace it. is there an easy way to get the image of the current hdd onto the ssd?
>>
>>56380114
stupid is as stupid does

>>56380148
then you might as well get the i7-k then rite
>>
>>56380174

Yeah well you get 4 more cores for that money. No cooler will be worth that.
>>
>>56380178
Thanks m8, didnt know

The 1070 would be enough for 1440p?
>>
>>56380079
Oh, the new update came out yesterday.

Well thanks for telling me so I don't install this mess.
>>
Does a video (graphics) card uses RAM memory?
>>
>>56380220

You need two if you want to play with ultra settings and experience no lag. You're better off buying two 970s and putting them in crossfire.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (32KB, 670x630px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
32KB, 670x630px
Is my shit under-clocked?
>>
>>56380257

Yeah. That's why you see the 16GiB ram meme on /g/. It's so effective because people who don't run high end graphics don't know what the fuss is about, but anyone with a GPU better than GTX 960 will experience lag when their 8GiB of ram gets all used up.
>>
>>56380257
A discrete GPU will not use system memory directly, integrated graphics does though
>>
>>56380294

If you look at the official numbers you'll notice you're 51Mhz down.
>>
>>56380282
>>56380303
>>56380072
>samefag giving bad advice
>>
>>56380220
>The 1070 would be enough for 1440p?
It's okay.
>>
File: 5512.png (6KB, 395x184px) Image search: [Google]
5512.png
6KB, 395x184px
>>56380353

At least you tried.
>>
>>56379245
It's fine. But honestly go for the gtx 970 and even a cheaper proc according to what you want to do with it.
>>
>>56380040
What the flaming fuck is wrong with you nigga?! Thats not how you compare cpus. If 8 runners run 10mph together they dont run 80mph, see how retarded this is?
>>
>>56380481
thanks
>>
>>56380575

They are collectively running at 80 mph. I don't know if I'm getting trolled here or not, you just said it your fucking self.
>>
My cheap, shitty wireless network adapter shuts off after extended periods of high traffic, and requires a system restart before it will work again. Is there any way to globally throttle bandwidth at the OS level so that I can avoid it overloading?
>>
File: 1470820200280.jpg (233KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1470820200280.jpg
233KB, 1536x1024px
Can I change out the graphics card, cables, and CPU cooler in my PC build without losing my OS install?

pic unrelated
>>
>>56380590
Don't get a 970, get a 480 or 1060
>>
>>56380617
Yes
>>
>>56380644
Thanks mane. What about the motherboard? I'm gonna guess probably not.
>>
>>56380617

No, because the GPU driver is embedded in the kernel once you have installed windows so that's immediately a no-go unless it's the same series like an R9 280 and R9 290 would be.

Cables don't really matter but the CPU cooler does. When you install windows it creates a fan profile for the CPU fan so it doesn't spin at full RPM all the time. If you change it to another fan that is different in size, it will either have a wrong profile for it, meaning it's loud or it doesn't rev enough to cool your rig while gaming.

If you are planning on updating that many parts better just reinstall windows.
>>
what's a good wordlist to use with aircrack for wpa
>>
>>56380671
Motherboard can be trickier, windows might need reactivation and there can be driver issues, but there are tools to help you prep your install for switching motherboards.

>>56380676
Ignore this troll
>>
If I disconnect from the wifi and use the mobile data on my phone, what will its IP address be? Presumably it has a unique one, compared to the devices which were connected to the wifi router?
>>
File: 124.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
124.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>56380734
>I have never changed a CPU cooler
>>
>>56380770
Yes, since you're going through cellular data your IP will be whatever cell tower you're routed through
>>
>>56380785
And I'm guessing there will be hundreds if not thousands of phones using that cell tower and therefore having the same IP address?
>>
>>56380803
Depending on where you live, yeah.
>>
Is Z170 worth it if youre not going to overclock or dual-gpu? Should I just get a B150/H110?
>>
>>56379670
Can someone please help me with this question?
>>
File: 1470878165833.jpg (157KB, 600x846px) Image search: [Google]
1470878165833.jpg
157KB, 600x846px
Overclocking woes

6700k, Asus VIII Hero

>auto sets vcore to 1.3v for 4.2ghz which is wayy too high
>manually set vcore to 1.14v for 4.2ghz
>c states are all enabled and despite frequency dropping to 800 mhz, vcore stays at 1.14v

I've tried adaptive and everything, I've pretty much given up at this point. My last Gigabyte motherboard was able to clock down on both vcore and frequency on a manual voltage.

Is Asus just shit, would switching to the Gigabyte equivalent make a difference?
>>
what is the name of the most current debian? repos or actual "toy story" name?
>>
My Mac's hdd has the smart shit as failing, how fucked am I?
>>
File: problem.png (13KB, 556x294px) Image search: [Google]
problem.png
13KB, 556x294px
I installed Windows 10 and theres a 2TB partition from Win7 i can't see from it
its still usable in Win7 but nowhere to be found in Windows 10

How do i see this partition again ?

screenshot from Win10
>>
So my laptop won't boot at all. There's no display on the screen.
I tried connecting it to an external monitor, then swapped the RAM but nothing.
This happened after resetting windows 10.
I don't even hear the fan come on.
What could be the issue?
>>
>>56381175
very fucked

My hard drive threw smart errors for reallocated sectors and failed the same day. The errors increased exponentially to failure

rip 2tb of hentai
>>
>>56377276
Its somewhere between 3.3 and 3.6 volts, depends on how much the manufacturer cares. Fully charged is 4.2 volts. Starts getting real risky when you drop as far as 3 volts. I don't think it makes sense to assign a percentage to that, total power losses useful meaning when the battery is on fire.
>>
>>56381193
I didn't even realise my hdd was failing, I was running a Windows 10 partition and kept having high active disk time, but no actual usage.

Also if I get Applecare, will they replace the hard drive, and if so is there an exclusion period?
>>
Why is it that when I add
 display: flex;
flex-direction: column;

to the body in my .css file that the clickable area for an image with a hyperlink extends passed the button and all the way up to the border?
>>
File: tmp_4412-images1583738312.jpg (6KB, 343x147px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4412-images1583738312.jpg
6KB, 343x147px
I'm currently running an Athlon 3 on a motherboard, just proving even a toaster can run Linux.

I'm considering building http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NYrBjc.

I'm tired of plebs running circles around me in game, g.

To get to the point:
A) Will this run Star Citizen
B) Do I need one of pic related

And also graphics card discussion
>>
File: IMG_20160901_195810.jpg (2MB, 5050x1210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160901_195810.jpg
2MB, 5050x1210px
How do I disable Digest-MD5, CRAM-MD5, and NTLM in favor of plaintext login?
>>
i mounted an iso the other week with daemon tools lite and forgot to unmount it for 5-6 days, now the virtual disk service in windows wont work when i try to start it. what do
>>
>>56381349
open daemon tools, click on unmount on the drive that has the iso.
recommend uninstalling daemon tools in favor of CDEmu nowadays
daemon tools is full with adware and bloat nowadays
CDEmu lets you mount isos in just a doubleclick once you have it installed
>>
780ti or Titan X Pascal?
>>
Is there any reason to not use a TV as a computer monitor?
>>
my laptop with a mobile i5, 8Gb RAM, and Windows 10 gives blue screen dozens of times a day, but has calmed down to once every now and then while watching videos. Simple things like Windows explorer crashes while opening. My CPU usage is maxed out at 100% always
What do I do
>>
>>56381656
low pixel density depending on how you use it, can sometimes have high input lag
>>
>>56381656
Latency, fat lag for a TV, quick response for monitor
>>
>>56380995
That's a really vague question. You don't even say what kind of work. Programming is used for billions of applications: embedded systems, mathematical modeling, building websites, SW for insurance companies, dumb little games for phones, etc.
They all use a variety of different languages for different purposes.
>>
>>56381683
>>56381694

I use my computer for "work", and anime, I don't use steam. I was thinking of getting a PS2, but don't have anything with AV inputs. Thought maybe I could just start using a TV for that, as well as my computer monitor to save space.
>>
How well would a i5 6500 and 1070 SLI manage at 4k in games like doom and titanfall?
>>
>>56381813
it might give a usable framerate on low
>>
I want to buy a 1070 GPU however there are many different version of it. Which one should i go with? Do they have any difference at all?
>>
>>56381867
yes
>>
How do I see the Javascript used by a webpage?
>>
File: 1470342041956.gif (115KB, 316x193px) Image search: [Google]
1470342041956.gif
115KB, 316x193px
Trying to boot up a windows 10 recovery disk usb on my comp. It loads up and flashes the logo for a solid 5 seconds before shutting off and starting back up again, only to repeat the process. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>56379534
>Buying non DX12 capable cards right now is fucking retard mode.

Why? No game worth shit is going to use DX12 for years. By the time it has any northworth adoption, you will have already replaced it anyway.
>>
>>56381988
>No game worth shit is going to use DX12 for years
Retard.
>>
>>56381996

>MUH QUANTUM BREAK AND AOTS
>>
Can't get the fucking backplate of my motherboard set in, the port on my tower has a huge lip around it. The size of everything lines up, including the motherboard mounts, so it's not a size issue, the damn thing just doesn't want to slot in right. I've already cut my thumb once trying to install the little fucker, and now trying to push the plate into position feels like I'm going to warp it before it ever sets in correctly.

Is there just some trick to this that I'm getting wrong? Am I retarded?
>>
>>56382003
Retard.
>>
>>56381996

The only games using it, or going to use it any time soon are 2 DX12 ports that get shitty gains, a bunch of Xbone ports which are already running like ass and an AMD tech demo pretending to be a game.
>>
>>56382020

Does your boss know you're wasting AMD shill funding on single word posts?
>>
>>56382024
>industry already adopting it even in its infancy
>new cards won't be out for another 2 years
>current cards suck shit at DX12
>hurrr it doesn't matter
Only buy the 1070 if you are going to stay at 1080p for an indeterminate amount of time. At 1080p it doesn't matter if DX12 is there or not.
>>
>>56382042
>>industry already adopting it even in its infancy

Like that one really good game... ummm, what was it called again?
>>
What's a good public tracker now that kat died a while back? tpb is fucking gargbo
>>
>>56381813
Instead of 1070 SLI just get 1080 or even 1080 SLI for meme points
>>
>>56382047
Star Citizen :^)
>>
>>56381875
Barely, some are overclocked more, some have better heat sinks, different i/o sometimes. For the most part no it doesn't matter
>>
Is there an addon for Firefox that will let me create customized, "intranet"-like addresses that redirect to real internet URLs? I was inspired be the intranet at work to create URLs like 4gc/ to get to this board's catalog, metrics/ to get straight to my work metrics online site (the URL is a fucking abomination and this would be even faster than a bookmark), etc.

I've tried searching all kinds of keywords but I just keep getting automatic link shorteners, linkifiers, and other shit I don't want.
>>
>>56382102
>square a negative number
>somehow result is a negative number
?????????????????????????
Should be 192,08
>>
>>56381888
bunp
>>
File: 1443115583945.gif (929KB, 264x320px) Image search: [Google]
1443115583945.gif
929KB, 264x320px
>>56381908
Plz respond
>>
>>56382129
deleted because i fixed it
s-sorry anon i'm dumb, thank you though

>tfw enjoy math but terrible at it
>>
Is this a good speed for a hard drive? I hear the head moving every 30 minutes or so now
>>
>>56382239
that's fucking terrible
>>
>>56382239
Random is about average for a HDD, sequential is fairly low. Good sequential is like 100-150 MB/s
>>
>>56382304
Gotcha. I tried it on another HDD and I'm getting this so far. Not sure if pic related in the other post is connected to SATA3 though.
>>
What's the best low requirements/lightweight distro(s) that aren't over the top like arch or gentoo?
>>
>>56382328
Even SATA II won't really bottleneck a mechanical drive
>>
how can I get past a user's password on a windows vista laptop?

the laptop is my mums
>>
>>56380617
>Can I change out the graphics card, cables, and CPU cooler in my PC build without losing my OS install?
Yes I did just that with my heatsink, changed it from a 212 hyper to a noctua, I'm on 7.
Windows 10 the key is tied to the mobo, so the OS might sperg out if you change graphics cards. Windows 10 has a tendency to sperg out on you with hardware changes.
>>
i plan on moving my HDD to a new rig

if i plan on having my OS on an SSD and the rest of my shit on a HDD does it matter if the HDD has my old OS still installed or can i just use it like a normal HDD?

i probably have to set it so it knows to always boot from the SSD in the settings right?

should i go ahead and dl the drivers and bios into the HDD ahead of time?
>>
File: Capture2.png (74KB, 597x382px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
74KB, 597x382px
downloading iTunes for my computer illiterate father who just wants me to put photos on his 6s.

I keep getting pic related.

I used the 'most helpful' suggestion here
>http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/apple-mobile-device-failed-to-start-verify-that/6f44588c-4896-48b0-bbe4-d0b67fc47205?auth=1
>4. go to itunes.com, download the newest version, save it to your desktop, RIGHT CLICK the icon and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

but still cannot do it. I cannot even get iTunes to being 'installed'.

He's a good guy. Can you help my father out?
>>
File: Capture1.png (21KB, 495x377px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
21KB, 495x377px
>>56382446
I also get this error (even before the error I just posted) - it's probably related as well
>>
>>56382436
You can leave it as-is, just change the boot drive like you said. Might as well preload the driver installers for convenience.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (207KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
207KB, 1920x1080px
Is Davinci Resolve a good editing software?

I want to know if it's worth itbefore I register and try it out. (It's free)
>>
>>56382477
ok thanks
>>
I want to buy a Chromebook and install Linux on it. Any recommendations on which distro I should use?

Link related is what im thinking of buying

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-Chromebook-11-6-Laptop-Rockchip/dp/B00VUV0MG0
>>
Is there a PC alternative to the gtranslate android app? I do finally have a shitty android phone now but fuck taking photos of my monitor.
>>
I'm getting the exact same speed on my USB 3.0 and USB 2 ports.

Is there a reason why that would happen?
>>
>>56382525
Install USB 3.0 drivers
>>
>>56382525
Are you using a USB 3.0 device?
>>
>>56382525
There are thousands of potential devices you could be using via usb, care to narrow it down?
>>
>>56382537
I will try that
>>56382541
Yes
>>56382547
Kingston SSD with a Sata to USB cable.
SSD and cable both work fine (tested on an ther computer)
>>
>>56377329
I've tried this

I used LUKS to make an encrypted USB drive with a fat32 filesystem. It didn't work even though Android uses LUKS internally for encryption
>>
>>56377827
10% should be good enough, Reece. It's what Samsung Magician recommends in the Over Provisioning tab.
>>
File: 1470687046951.gif (2KB, 50x50px) Image search: [Google]
1470687046951.gif
2KB, 50x50px
i want to use linux for the following reasons:
>ricing, extreme personalization, and a powerful interface
>keeping a database of general info like infographics, notetaking from educational shit, timers, alarms, to-do lists. i prefer something graphical, unlike emacs org mode.
>ban evasion. not from 4chan necessarily, but other places. i don't ban evade often. i'm not trying to harass anyone, either. i just like the ability to do so. maybe a simple vpn would be sufficient.
>backing up important/valuable files, like my database shit, music, videos, pictures, pron.

from what i've learned so far, i need to understand the following:
>wget
>curl
>python/bash scripting
>regular expressions, grep

i like the idea of using a computer as an extremely powerful tool for carrying out your goals. i'm a recovering addict, and i've always been a nerd, so i want to get really autistic about establishing goals, and achieving them.

the potential problems i have with this include having a sedentary lifestyle, worsening my carpal tunnel condition due to all the typing (i'm really fucking verbose in the first place, as you can see), and it seems time-consuming.

fortunately, i'm a hard worker.

so, give me your input. has anyone here been using linux in a similar way (to organize yourself), and how does it feel to use it?

and is what i want to use linux for realistic? i'm assuming it's more powerful (and more secure/private) than windows.
>>
>>56381414
i did unmount the drive, it was after that that i started having problems with the disk service
>>
I can't for the love of me upgrade my external micro sd card in a kobo aura h2o, I tried copying it's contents from the original micro sd card to the new one and the ereader shows the library empty
anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>56382614
If you want to kill time before you die and keep yourself occupied so you stay off drugs, sure.

You would probably be happier ripping people off and getting high with people that will listen to your rambling bullshit though.
>>
>>56382537
Yup, that was it.

I got too used to Windows installing them automatically to think about that...
>>
I'm upgrading to an SSD soon and one of the many reasons for this is that my HDD makes noise when I do stuff and sometimes when I'm not doing anything at all.
If I'm using the OS from my SSD will these noises continue? I assume if I'm storing or accessing something on the drive it will, but as long as I'm not using it it should stay quiet right?
>>
For those of you who are working in CS related fields, do you find your work challenging or are you on autopilot throughout the work day?
>>
>>56382708
Depends on if the firmware powers it down when not in use, or if the power settings in windows are configured as such

Normally some noise is common since there are moving parts, but if the head is impacting the platters or something there could be problems.
Run a SMART check or drive health check and if it passes I wouldn't worry about some noise. WD Black drives in particular are known for being loud
>>
File: Selection_436.png (522KB, 296x600px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_436.png
522KB, 296x600px
tried to change my default gateway using "ip route replace default via X.X.X.X" n various other things but it just won't change. I've tried refreshing. What should I do?
>>
File: 1440998983137_0.gif (999KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1440998983137_0.gif
999KB, 500x700px
can I use a gif as animated wallpaper on Android?
>>
>>56382508
Bump
>>
>>56382749
It's definitely not a dangerous sound and the health checks said its fine. I guess I'll have to see when I set up my drive and mess around with the power settings. thanks tho
>>
>>56382791
I don't think it will work. Would kill battery life if it did work.
>>
>>56382791
>>56382881
Yeah, live wallpapers are a gimmick that needlessly drains battery life
>>
I want to get a portable shitposting machine, also to get notes and some old games (like Counter Strike 1.6, Age of Empires 2, Arena, etc)

The only shit I might be able to get in this country for a logical price is a ASUS x201e.

So, how is it? It's a piece of shit?

(My other options are some local brand computer, which I don't trust)
>>
>>56381349
>>56382635
bump because things are getting worse, random applications that worked a few days ago are now encountering errors when i try to start them
>>
>>56382926
Don't expect much for gaming, even for things like counter strike

Otherwise, it's a portable laptop with average battery life and should do fine for most other things. Asus generally makes pretty good shit
>>
On my task manager my cpu usage never exceeds 30%, and neither does my memory... so why do my windows lock up for anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes from time to time?
Am I a part of a botnet?
>>
>>56382959
Run some malware checks. Reinstall if necessary
>>
are ace streams generally tracked by copyrighters?
what's the risk guys, got no vpn and i wanna ace my ufc fights
>>
File: problem.png (12KB, 418x330px) Image search: [Google]
problem.png
12KB, 418x330px
How do i fix these? The higher the numbers are the more i lagg in games...
>>
>>56377329
No it encrypts it using a salt in Android probably created through your passcode or pattern. Best way to get security and still be able to move files to and from the microsd just transfer them by mounting the phone via usb or using adb to copy files
>>
>>56383024
Shouldn't be throttling with those temps, you're probably just maxing out your CPU
>>
My computer keeps randomly doing it's low power action even though it is plugged into the wall outlet.
How could this be? Is my charger cable's AC adapter at fault, or could it be my battery/iGPU shitting itself?

Just doing basic shit like watching a video will trigger it sometimes.

I should really disable hibernation.
>>
Pair of JBL 305
or
2 more monitors (1080p)?
>>
Fabric or Synthetic leather? And why? Need to decide ASAP, going to order right now.
>>
>>56383024
Those temps are fine
>>
>>56383061
Change the power options retard

>>56383100
Fabric. Better breathing, and lasts longer. Synthetic leather is just cheap plastic
>>
File: 1460525777585.jpg (41KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1460525777585.jpg
41KB, 600x450px
Not quite /g/ related, but I might as well bother. Would there be any problems if I bought Steam keys on a heavily discounted sale, and then resold them via eBay and the like? Thinking about making some dosh with that Castle of Illusion game,
>>
>>56383122
Yea man, your right, thanks! Anything else?
>>
>>56381334
yes
no
>>
>>56381547
Why are you even asking this question?
>>
I wouldn't even consider this stupid, but rather not make a whole thread about it.

Is there a program or extension / addon for a web browser that can force a pop out window for any video so you can resize it.

My current computer situation doesn't allow for fullscreen to stay on one screen it stretches to all 3.

I found a chrome extension that does this to youtube videos but I was wondering if there was an all encompassing program that would work with any media player?

Follow up question: if this doesn't exist what would be the logistics of creating such a program?
>>
>>56381888
Surely this is an obvious question?
It's not a small but obscure question like everything in this thread, it's legitimately a stupid question.
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Why did so many old FPSes have such weird perspectives? It always seemed like your guy was either crouching or a midget, especially when you're near something 'your size'.
>>
>>56383522
Your view is moved to be close to where your gun in because bullets generally come out of your camera to prevent parallax issues
>>
>>56383545
Yeah, but modern FPSes seemed to have fixed this wonky perspective, it seemed to be a thing mostly in 5th gen shooters. It must've been related to technical issues, like the enemies or world at a proper scale wouldn't be correctly visible on lower resolutions of the day or something.
>>
>>56382956
Seriously, fucking Counter Strike 1.6?
>>
>>56384127
It might be playable, but at lower settings. The processor is an old Ivy Bridge mobile chip with integrated graphics, at least that's what google said
>>
Is there a way to make qBittorrent torrents always save torrents to the default incomplete/complete locations specified at the time the .torrent files were opened?

I'm trying to switch from utorrent and after I successfully checked a bunch of torrents on an external with qb and switched defaults locations on my internal, qb started transferring all the files onto my internal.
>>
File: 0901162253.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0901162253.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Building my first PC, trying to connect the tower fans together but they don't make any sense.

The front and top fans connect in sequence to pic related, which doesn't seem to fit anything on my motherboard. The back main fan has a standard 3-pin connector, which I assume connects to the SYSTEM FAN socket, but it's a 4 pin socket (though it does have a 3-pin bracket, is it usable for either?)

Seriously, no idea where pic related goes
>>
>>56384267
molex connector
goes directly to the psu
>>
>>56384339
My psu doesn't have any kind of slot for that thing. Is there a connector I need?
>>
>>56384360
Oh never mind, literally just picked up the connector cables out of the box. Thanks
>>
>>56384360
You're probably not looking hard enough
>>
>>56384368
The only cable I have that fits this is this monstrosity. Somehow I feel this is incorrect.
>>
File: 0901162312.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0901162312.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>56384412
Whoops
>>
1080p at 144hz or 1440p at 60? with a gtx 1070
>>
>>56384942
flip a coin
>>
>>56384942
Do you prefer improved motion clarity and the 3d meme, or more image clarity, screen real estate, better document/webpage viewing and awkward conversion for movies?
>>
>>56384966
might as well at this point
>>
>>56385013
Honestly i've never seen a montior with above 60hz. But I'm a big fan of image clarity and whatever will give me the best viewing experience of my media.
>>
>>56385056
Most people prefer the increased resolution, especially on the larger monitors. Makes doing shit easier, even in games. Also trying to play movies at higher framerates gives them the soap opera effect, although that's usually not to hard to disable. Only downside to 1440 is that 1080p isn't perfectly converted, but most people won't notice the difference.
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.