[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coil Whine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: evga750ti.jpg (115KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
evga750ti.jpg
115KB, 1200x1200px
Hello guys. I was stress testing my gpu (750 ti using furmark) and after tweaking some settings in the stress tester, I noticed a really audible high pitched noise coming from my pc.

I also notice that the voltage goes up when I can hear the noise, but when the noise goes down in volume, so does the voltage. So I think that the voltage might be the thing making the noise, but I can't be too sure. Is it safe to keep using my gpu? When I run a normal test with my normal settings, the voltage stays down, and I don't hear anything.
>>
>>56341543
Once a GPU starts making the Whine of Death you should stop using it immediately before the flourocapacitors erupt and spew conductive acid all over your motherboard.
>>
>>56341543
It's called coil whine which is normal, but you can use your warranty to replace it if it pisses you off.
>>
>>56341608
But it seems to only be because of it's voltage... It's not all the time or anything..
>>
>>56341636
Oh is coil whine based on voltage? It doesn't bother me that much since it's only when it goes up, but if it was all the time then I would probably go crazy.
>>
>>56341637
The more you stress and crank the voltage (and heat) up and down the more microfractures start to build up and weaken them. Once those things burst the big fans do a great job of flinging the acid on everything.

I reccommend buying an AMD FX brand GPU to avoid the problem next time.
>>
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>56341672
Stop.
>>56341650
As electricity goes through coiled copper wire it has a chance to vibrate making the high pitched whine. It usually happens with older gpus.
>>
>>56341672
Lol.. Really? I'm not sure because I'm hearing it's normal or whatever.
>>56341684
I don't really think it's that stupid of a question.
>>
>>56341672
The newfag is actually going to take you seriously stop shilling.
>>
>>56341764
Yeah I heard that before actually. So I guess it's normal then?
>>
>>56341805
Yes like as I said it's about as normal as grass is green but if you hate the whine you can replace it by warranty or get a new card.
>>
Coil whine and voltage. Hmm. Are you sure it's not your PSU? If your computer has onboard GPU, remove the 750ti and stress it to see if the whine is still there.
>>
>>56341543
>wasting time testing anything with a 750ti

Why even bother?
>>
>>56341773
the s in sqt is for stupid/small.
>>
>>56341834
It's cool bro. I can deal with it. My voltage is usually low anyways.
>>56341845
Yeah it's definitely my card. But I'll check to see if this works. Because I'd love to replace my current PSU because the amount of wattage it has seems too low to me for some reason. (275)
>>
>>56341873
Oh didn't think of that. I was kind of thinking this would be too "small" of question for a thread. I'll use the thread next time I guess. Thank you.
>>56341868
It's actually pretty nice lmao. If I was to liquid cool it it would be a fucking monster. Just so you know, I'm running 900p so it's hella good for what I play.
>>
Just put hot glue over the coils my man
>>
>>56341543
Coil whine is normal. Just ignore it, don't worry it's not a problem or anything.

Of course the noise increases when the card requires more voltage, electricity going trough the card's components is what causes the noise, so more electricity required = more noise.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.