[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hpg/ - Headphone General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 47

File: Kuramoto.Kaya.full.387245.jpg (806KB, 2447x3518px) Image search: [Google]
Kuramoto.Kaya.full.387245.jpg
806KB, 2447x3518px
>Headphone purchase advice
http://pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread: >>56224142
>>
What are HD600 alternatives at that price point?

Looking at the 400is and wondering if I should open my wallet or not.
>>
>>56245166
>Wireless is frowned upon.
shit thread, report and move on
>>
Let me repeat myself:

I'm looking for wireless in-ear headphones that I can use longer than 8 hours. More like 12+... I don't want to fucking recharge my headphones during the day.

I work in a lab (boring work) for about 8 hours and would like it not to be straight out empty when I come home.
>>
>>56245237
There are none, a battery life of that size and duration would need you to carry a battery brick everywhere.
>>
>>56245237
People have advised me to buy a short extension cable to prevent my headphone cable from breaking.
>>
>>56245237
This doesn't exist. There is no reason you can't use wired headphones.
Even BT dac/amps with huge batteries last 8 hours or less.

KKYS.
>>
>>56245206
I was told here on /hpg/ that HD600 is the best headphone ever made and there is no upgrade, only sidegrades
>>
>>56245353
and when was the last time /g/ was right about anything?
>>
File: Dunu+Titan+5+IEM+review.jpg (335KB, 1000x514px) Image search: [Google]
Dunu+Titan+5+IEM+review.jpg
335KB, 1000x514px
>>56245308
I was talking about this. A higher quality iem lets you replace the cabels if they break.
>>
>>56245237
Contrary to what the rest of /hpg/ might tell you, the LG Tone models have quite the battery life to them. Some of them sound quite nice as well.
They are more bulky, and they have that neckband fit style.

>>56245132
>>56245206
>What are HD600 alternatives at that price point?
>Is the 400i better than the hd600s? About to open my wallet.
DT880, K612, K702, K712, Shure SRH1540, HD 650, X2 and many others.
There is always some sort of compromise to a headphone and some sort of flaw to them. Pick the one that bothers you the least and make the most of it.
>>
>>56245206
DT 880, Fidelio X2, HE400S
>>
what do you guys recommend for earbud?
I had some skullcandy, the sound was good but they always broke after 6 month.
Have any idea of a good pair for 40$?
>>
>>56246732
e10
>>
>>56246732
damn my skullcanyd earbuds have been going strong for 2 years now.
>>
>>56246763
gonna take the e10c since it's for listening to music and audiobook at work
Thanks dude

>>56247181
Got 3 pair of earbuds from skullcandy
1 titan, right bud died after 7 months
1 ink'd died after 3 months
another ink'd with a dead right bud after 5 months
I used them 9 hours per day while moving tho
>>
>>56245166
Shit OP for a shit thread.
>>
Is there a speakers general? I need some speakers for creation and music mainly.

I'm around the $300 range
>>
>>56248431
There's speaker threads sometimes and if you posted there they'd recommend you a jbl lrs305
Look into them
>>
>>56248485
Does it come with a sub and will it need an amp?
>>
>>56246732
JVC marshmallows, get 4 pairs of them and replace when necessary
Use real monitors for real audio
>>
>>56248431
Mackie MR5/6/whatever size you want
>>56248567
If you're creating music then you would rather have a large monitor (like 8") setup than small monitors+sub. Powered monitors are the only speakers you should be looking at for that price point so you won't need an amp
>>
>>56248656
Opinion on KRK RP8G3-NA Rokit 8 ?
>>
>>56248431
If you could go to $500, I would say the Emotiva Air Motiv 6 is a solid choice. Since the 6 is $500 I wouldn't recommend the smaller sizes because they're not much cheaper considering how much less powerful they are in general.

>>56248712
I've used them for a while at a small studio, they're pretty good for more bass-heavy music listening. If you're mixing on them you may end up with mixes that are slightly lean but you can adjust the bass on the units until you're confident you know where they are in relation to neutral speakers. This was with the Generation 2, not sure what is different in the new ones.
>>
>>56248712
They're actually great, but they're just overpriced yellow memes
>>
>>56248765
>>56248762
I'm looking for something with a decent amount of bass, not too much though.

And need some crisp sounding stuff.
>>
Current headphones (DT770 pro 32ohm) have hair in driver than I cant get out, chip in cup liner and a jack that ive had to replace. Ive repaired her ~4 times over the past 6 years and love her to death but Im thinking it may be time to have a second on deck when the dark finally takes her.

Budget: $200
Source: No DAQ, computer or phone
Preferred type of headphone ---
Open or closed: Closed (Work in loud lab & create content in quiet invironement so need good but isolating)
Comfort level : extream (im used to dt770pro cloud cushion lvls
Preferred tonal balance: As balanced as possible
Past headphones:
1st SteelSeries Siberia: fuck plastic: fuck built in mic, mmm i like big pads
2nd & current: DT770 Pro 32ohm:
Love the sturdy construction, wish the cups were made of a stronger material because they chipped where the pads attach to the cups (still usable).
Love the material and feel of the pads
Hate that hair gets in the drivers so easily
Dislike that the cable is not detachable (ive modded mine to be detachable, would do it on next pair if needed)
Like that they keep my ears warm
Like the sound of them but know little else
Like that they isolate well
Like the comfort of the leather wrap on the metal band but dislike that it gets oily & mats my hair down (I do clean them on the reg)
I dont really care about the lay down flat feature but I will be getting a hard case for my next pair.
Overall id give the DT770 pro a 9/10, wish hair didn't get stuck and wish the cable detached.

Looking for another headphone lover.
AKG K553 pro is on massdrop atm but Id be fine going elsewhere to get what would suit me the best.
Thoughts?
>>
>>56245166
>Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
>Wireless is frowned upon.
>Headset requests are frowned upon.

But why?
>>
>>56249019
Just... don't
>>
File: 084.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
084.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>56249071
I legitimately don't understand why that's in the op.

What's wrong with headsets? I'm using an LG one that's really good for the price.

What's wrong with wireless? I don't notice a difference in audio quality with my speakers when I use Bluetooth or an aux cable.

I am genuinely confused why it's "frowned upon "
>>
>>56249121
I'll pretend you're not baiting for a moment. Just ignore them because you can ask whatever you want that's headphone related here, ok?
>>
Don't buy ATH-M*0Xs. They're utter shit. They sound as flat as if you placed a couple of layers of printing paper between your ear and the drivers.

If you want bass get a pair of V-MODAS if you want neutral get a pair of Sennheisers.
>>
>>56249019
Why do you start this shit in every thread?
>>
>>56248872
anyone care to throw some info in?
>>
>>56249134
Alright, well, my earphones are frayed as fuck and I'm looking for a cheap wireless in ear replacement since it'll have less wire, so it'll be less likely to fray.

Do Bluetooth earphones under 30 usd sound decent? How about Chinese ones like meizu?

>>56249185
This is my first time asking though? I'm genuinely curious why op included those lines.
>>
>>56249121
Both wireless and headsets don't focus on audio quality as a primary focus.
>>
>>56249240
Audio quality shouldn't be the only factor you consider when buying earphones.

You can buy $5 chink earphones that sound just as good as $50 earphones but with significantly inferior build quality.

Plus wireless has other conveniences too. It being wireless so it can't get caught in nearby objects, or having 10m range from your device for example.

Headsets have much better microphone quality than regular shitty headphones with a tiny microphone, and are better value for people who need something to use at a computer for voice chat or recording shit than a dedicated microphone and headphone.
>>
File: simpsonsunemployment.png (297KB, 608x464px) Image search: [Google]
simpsonsunemployment.png
297KB, 608x464px
>>56245206
there is really only two things i would consider. for soundstage, akg k702. For something that splits the difference, beyerdynamic dt880. But for outright low distortion, you will not beat an hd600.
>>
>>56248897
besides the akg, MSR7 (not sure about extreme comfort) or HP50. Both aren't exactly neutral, but relatively balanced. Slightly over $200

Or maybe you can get an HM5 or XPT100? Neutral, comfy with huge pads, kinda big though

Just know the 770 has more bass than those mentioned above
>>
How good is sennheiser ie800? I need something close to hd800 for road trips and when I am at work. I am listen mostly heroic orchestra (TSFH, Audiomachine, etc.) And like crisp sound not mudded shit like in hd600. Would ie800 work?
>>
File: dont_feed_the_trolls.jpg (37KB, 350x435px) Image search: [Google]
dont_feed_the_trolls.jpg
37KB, 350x435px
>>56249240
That jackass tries to pick a fight every thread.
>>
>>56249296
That's like saying why have a Koenigsegg One when you can have a 1990 gold plated Volkswagen bug with a fog horn and light up rims for the same money.

You're fucking retarded.
>>
File: what_do_you_even_call_this.jpg (70KB, 960x952px) Image search: [Google]
what_do_you_even_call_this.jpg
70KB, 960x952px
>>56249502
That doesn't even make sense.
Have a cookie sandwich
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Does this look fake to anyone else? The wire can't be removed
>>
>>56249530
>That doesn't even make sense.
Not the same anon but it makes perfect sense if you pulled your head out of your ass. Headphones exist for one purpose: to reproduce sound.
>>
>>56249530
Google any of those cars and you'll understand what I mean you illiterate.
>>
My desk space is small as fuck, If I were to keep Rokit 8's behind me on some stands would that be fine/comfortable? or would it be better if the studio monitors to be in front of me and on my desk?
>>
>>56249502
How is that retarded?
>>
When the fuck did this wireless faggotry even start popping up in these threads? I don't remember people defending this crap even a few months ago. Fucking wireless, low fidelity garbage makes me cringe.

Soon enough we will have people legitimately defend Beats because they need a pair of headphones that's ''socially acceptable'' or some shit like that.
>>
>>56249571
If all you care about is sound reproduction, why aren't you using powerful speakers instead of tiny headphones?

Fact is, there's more to consider than just sound quality. Funnily enough though, modern wireless headphones can support lossless audio with aptx. So even if your argument is sound quality, that's an obsolete argument
>>
>>56249599
>When the fuck did this wireless faggotry even start popping up in these threads?
A week or two ago. We had this one jackass who ignored every argument and citation who filled multiple threads with shitpost after shitpost.

>>56249610
>If all you care about is sound reproduction, why aren't you using powerful speakers instead of tiny headphones?
You assume I don't use both? Speakers at home and headphones when not at home?
>>
File: world record breaker.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
world record breaker.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>56249530
>>56249591
>I want to substitute raw power and speed with bells and whistles and useless shit that no sane person cares for
>That doesn't even make sense
These are the people that are arguing for wireless headset shit.
>>
>>56249648
So you don't see the convenience in having 10m range with your headphones or not having a 1.2m wire dangling of the side of your head?
>>
>>56249648
>he thinks Bluetooth is still significantly inferior
What is aptX
>>
Maybe I'm going to catch flak for this but:
I have two sets of Vmoda headphones, the M100 which are in great condition that I currently use (got for $140 new on amazon)
Vmoda crossfade LP (or LP2 or M80, I forget) which are overused, but functional.

I'm thinking if reselling the M100s for ~$140-$170, and trading the old LP2s for an$85 coupon on vmoda.com, then using that sum + ~$90 to pick up the Crossfade Wireless.

I'd use the Wireless for the same reasons I use the M100s, primarily comfort, gaming (bluetooth with two sources would be really convenient), for mobile use (in between classes), and sleeping.

I use MSR7s + DAC/AMP for best SQ, so don't grill me on the importance of SQ.

Worth it? How do the Wireless compare to the M100s?
Wireless are hybrid so can be wired as well, figure SQ will be the same as M100s in that scenario.
>>
>>56249669
>>56249682
Show me a headset or any bluetooth crap that can rival HD800s or planar headphones that Audeze has to offer. Till then, fuck off.
>>
>>56249720
You want to spend money on something that _might_ be as good as the wired version and assume all the added burdens that comes with wireless?
>>
I'm new to this, what do these wires do? i'm seeing them in the customers also bought section when selecting my speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B005HGM1D6/ref=pd_bxgy_267_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CQEWGNT8Q6WR5GX8M5M2
>>
I can't follow who is pro wireless here and who is not. I can't even follow who is being serious when arguing against wireless because of the terrible fucking knee jerk reasoning and analogies that don't work. Everyone calm your autism and quit intentionally shitting up the thread.
>>
>>56249823
It's literally the first thing in the amazon description: "This cable is designed to connect an audio device with a mini stereo phone output to pro audio gear with unbalanced phone inputs. It is ideal for connecting an iPod, laptop, or similar device to a mixing console"
>>
>>56249823
They provide connection between stereo plugs and a 3.5mm plug, e.g. hooking up your smartphone to your home entertainment system.
>>
>>56249848
Yeah but these are very small and thin compared to normal audio jacks that I put into my phone and pc
>>
>>56249751
>might be as good
From what I've read, the difference is fairly close.

>added burdens
In most scenarios where I'd use them, SQ isn't the only factor, meaning I don't need the best SQ for that pricepoint. But here is my list of pros and cons so far
Pros:
>Battery life is 12 hours so not bad.
>Makes moving around the house while listening to music way easier.
>Don't need music source close to bed
>Easy dual-source setup. BT connection to TV or PS4 or receiver (for game sounds) + wired to DAC/AMP (for music).
>if wires break, not fucked. (I go through cables too quickly)
>gym life is easier (wired in ears worked fine for me except for shadowboxing, but with over-ears sweat will be a much bigger problem)
>Mobility

Cons:
>interference
>extra components prone to failure (Vmoda has lifetime warranty so this will be inconvenient but not costly)
>Wireless means can't use my own DAC. If onboard DAC is good (mine isn't high end) maybe negligible
>wireless means compression. Not sure how noticeable this will be.

That's where I'm at right now.
>>
>>56249682
>What is aptX
Something that you have to pay extra for which means lower audio quality.
>>
File: Butthead_Laughing.jpg (115KB, 525x809px) Image search: [Google]
Butthead_Laughing.jpg
115KB, 525x809px
>>56249751
You're an idiot
>>
>>56249884
>>Battery life is 12 hours so not bad.
Battery a pro?

>Makes moving around the house while listening to music way easier.
Enjoy your interference. I get the odd stutter with my bluetooth adapter and that's with the source two feet away from the adapter.

>I go through cables too quickly
Why?
>>
File: 1451960682235.jpg (110KB, 1024x569px) Image search: [Google]
1451960682235.jpg
110KB, 1024x569px
>>56249944
>comparing a shitty Bluetooth adapter to vmoda wireless headphones
>>
>>56249990
What kind of DAC and receiver do you think Vmoda uses in their wireless headphones? Something similar if not the exact same as you can get in a wireless adapter?
>>
File: 1368186822562.jpg (53KB, 372x356px) Image search: [Google]
1368186822562.jpg
53KB, 372x356px
>>56250006
Literally anything better than your piece of shit adapter
>>
>>56249944
>Battery a pro
No, what I meant is that at 12 hours, the battery life won't be limiting.

>interference
This was my biggest concern, and I'm not sure how bad it is with these particular headphones and the BT sources I have, I figure I'll use the wireless with my phone or smartwatch.

>cables
I'm a clumsy person, due to a medical condition.
I went through three cables in a few months.
Slammed plug into a car door, snapping it
Bent another plug with my ass.
Dropped laptop on it's side while plugged in, snapped another plug.
>>
>>56250029
How old is your image? I don't think you can find a 4.1 BT adapter with an antenna. At least not one made outside of China.
>>
File: 1468906430300.jpg (183KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1468906430300.jpg
183KB, 1920x1080px
>>56249669
>convenience
like the convenience of crouching next to a wall socket every time the battery drains on my wireless headphones?

Like the convenience of watching my phone battery run dry because of the massive bitrate that it's sending through bluetooth?

Like the convenience not even being usable with my Fiio X3?

I just want to fucking slap you.
>>
>>56250033
>No, what I meant is that at 12 hours, the battery life won't be limiting.
Less of a con isn't still a con?

>I'm a clumsy person, due to a medical condition.
Then perhaps you might go with a cheaper route and buy an adapter and a short cable (or just a male to male plug for your wired vmodas. IIRC they use a typical 3.5mm plug for the detachable cable.
>>
>>56250099
You're an idiot
>>
>>56250301
Feel free to fuck off if you're just going to shitpost.
>>
>>56250328
You too, idiot
>>
>>56250099
>less of a con
As far as I know, the battery only affects how long I can use it wirelessly without a charge. Since 12 hours is max, I'm going to estimate I'll get 9 hours. Since these would be my secondary set, MSR7s being primary, then I won't use them for 9 hours straight at any point. Fast charge is 30 minutes for ~3 hours of use, so I don't consider battery a con in this case, because the negative (limited use) is not, in my case, applicable.

>>56250099
>adapter
Considered this for sure. Concern is that adapter is clunkier and possibly of lower quality. But I'll look into it.
>short cable
I actually just bought another short cable, but the M100s have a recessed jack so if the housing for the plug is greater than 6 mm, the cable doesn't fit. So I need like..shitty beats or something.

Cost-wise, $10-$25 for an adapter + $7 for cable that fits (harder to find) or ~$12 for cable with mic/volume control = $17-$39 total out of pocket. Possibly have to replace cable/adapter in the future.

Alternatively, $85 trade-in value from unused LP2s + $140 from M100s +$90 for versatility of wireless plus included cable. $90 out of pocket, in this case don't have to worry about replacing the cable.
>>
>>56250510
Don't get the adapter, they have worse sound quality than legit Bluetooth headphones for some reason.

Noticeably worse
>>
>>56250510
>As far as I know, the battery only affects how long I can use it wirelessly without a charge.
The battery is another thing to break and an extra cost.

>of lower quality
Manufacturers of wireless headphones are not going to spend any more money on the circuitry for wireless headphones than it takes to adhere to the standards they advertise. The same holds true for adapters.

>Possibly have to replace cable/adapter in the future.
Aren't you just as if not more likely to break the headphones than a cable/adapter?

>>56250536
Source: My ass
>>
>>56250587
Your ass has some very nice sauce you're spreading on this thread ;-)
>>
>>56250587
>thing to brake
Not a monetary cost, Vmoda repair is free.

>Manufacturers
I agree with you, this is generally true. But I'm asking about this pair specifically.

>break the headphones
Scuff or otherwise nick them, yes. Not break though, especially not V-moda build quality.
>>
>>56250707
>Not a monetary cost
Why do you think you are paying an extra $90 for?

>Vmoda repair is free
I wasn't aware Vmoda sold headphones with a lifetime warranty.
>>
>>56245166
I'm going to be in Japan in a couple of months. Any recommendations on what I should pick up?

>Budget
$200USD

>Location
Japan (travel)

>Source
Probably pick up a nice DAC / amp combo while I'm there as well.

>Preferred type of headphone
full sized.

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Doesn't matter.

>Preferred tonal balance
Warm.

>Past headphones
At the moment... some crappy wireless in ears.
>>
I just bought myself HD 598, can my titan-x run this at 24000hz?

No, but seriously. I bought some HD 598 because I wanted open cans with huge soundscape and good overall performance without the need of an amp or something.

Now I knew these are not bass heavy, and I'm not a basshead, so I thought I would not mind it. But they have no sub bass at all. Like literally zero. Like, the part where the bass should come, it's just the background and no bass.

Are they broken? Can I do some EQ magic to fix it? Do I really need an amp for 50ohm cans? Have I fooled myself by going from sony mdr-xb500's to HD598's and thinking I wouldn't miss the bass?

How would you fix this problem? Or is there even a problem? Please help... This was a huge investment for me and I kinda regret it.
>>
>>56250853
Last time I was there even their domestic consumer goods (read: Sony and Audio-Technica headphones) were more expensive than you can get them in the US. Though you can go to any department store or electronics goods store (like Yamada denki) and have a good selection of headphones to audition.
>>
>>56250926
Yeah, I've bought some in a Yodabashi camera before. The rack of headphones is pretty nice to try out.
>>
>>56250901

If you didn't get the SE 598's that means you're probably using the long cable, get a shorter cable or get an amp.
>>
>>56251063
Nope, not the SE version.

Can the cable leangth really have that much of an impact on it?

Thanks anyway. What would you say is the cheapest bass boosted amp that would do the trick?
>>
>>56251144

I recently got the SE and it has the long cable and short 1.5m cable or w/e, and i definitely noticed that it sounded very differently.

but who knows i could be an idiot.
>>
>>56251144
>>56251199
Nice double-dubdubs

I'm currently reading myself into amps and stuff too see what fits my needs. But I think more than 50€ will kill my budget :/
>>
>>56250732
>extra $90
Full price breakdown. Extra cost=EC

Problems to solve
>mobility
>dualsource
Dual source is PS4 + DAC. PS4 spotify streaming is garbage, and the headphone jack through the controller is BT anyway. I've done PS4 optical into receiver, then output from receiver + DAC to headphones with a splitter cable. Got nasty feedback. Currently, I have no configuration that doesn't give me feedback using MSR7s. M100s have two jacks, so I could use two lines (receiver one side, DAC on the other) with presumably no problems, with another cable.

Solutions:
>$7 audio only cable, fit for M100 is nuisance to find but w/e

>$12 3-button control, inline mic and volume

Limited in mobility while dualsourcing. Likely a repeat purchase given my history. Cheapest upfront.

>BT adapter ($12-$30)
Can't find one that fits the M100. Moot point until I find one.

>Crossfade Wireless (~$90)
Most convenient. Wired to DAC for analog SQ with music, BT to PS4 for game sounds, OR analog to receiver for no SQ loss anywhere. Comes with cable with volume control on the headphones.

>lifetime warranty
it's 2 years all-inclusive (particularly manufacturer defects) , but mechanical repairs outside of warranty are free.

Ideally, I'd find a way to setup MSR7s with both the ps4 and dac but whatever.
In any case, I'll need to acquire a 3.5mm cable that fits the M100.

So EC for the Wireless is $90-$7 = $83, or $76 if considering mic + volume control cable instead.

If I want the mobility of wireless, adapter is $15. I can functionally forego a cable if I get an adapter so minimum cost here is $15.
EC is $75 against the adapter, $68 or $63 if I want a cable as well.

Based on what I am in the market for, extra cost is max $83 and min $63. Unique to the headphones solution is I make use of the trade-in value of my old headphones, which are otherwise worthless, custom engraving/color scheme from vmoda included, lifetime repairs, max comfort, remove need for replacement cables.
>>
>>56249884
Why are you trying to justify your purchase to /g/? It sounds like your headphones are a great choice for you. They suit your needs! That's awesome, seriously. So keep using them. Fuck
>>
>>56251539
Haven't purchased them yet. Wanted to know if there's something about them I don't know/if someone here has experience with them.

Then I tried to be as clear as possible about it because "wireless" triggers OP.
>>
>>56251645
If you're a gym guy you should definelty go with some blutooth
>>
Sound magic e80 ($55) or hifiman re-400 ($60) for a neutral IEM? I would get the hf5 but they are out of my budget. It seems like the re-400 might sound better, but it is it worth dealing with potential build quality issues?
>>
>>56245166
Why are headset requests frowned upon?
What's wrong with headsets?
>>
>>56251341
>Can't find one
You cannot find a BT adapter that connects to a standard 3.5mm stereo plug?
>>
>>56251750
"Gamer" tax
Fragile
Usually shit drivers
>>
>>56251873
Did you miss where I mentioned the M100s are recessed so anything with >6mm housing doesn't fit?
>>
>>56248897
The 770s are awesome, I have the 80 ohm version I love them. The 880s are better for mixing but for close headphones the dt770s are really solid
>>
Looking for a new headset that does well in PC gaming and is compatible with PS4

For over a year I was using PS Gold headset but it broke (due to me being a dumbass) and still worked even when broken, now it broke even more and is unuseable
>>
>>56249139
Finally someone who knows the truth about athm50s
>>
>>56251909
Because you cannot use the cable that came with the headphones?
>>
>>56251957
It's broken. I'm using the extended one with a splitter. I've said this.
>>
>>56251984
You cannot get another vmoda cable?

You know what. Never mind. You've already come to your conclusion and wasting everyone's time.
>>
File: h110-gallery.png (44KB, 652x560px) Image search: [Google]
h110-gallery.png
44KB, 652x560px
>>56251883
Also good for video and voice calls?

>fragile
That could be said for anything if you abuse it.

>gamer
Who cares?
>>
>>56252065
What are you talking about?
Of course I can get another cable
It's literally the first solution I mentioned in the long-ass post.

You should work on your reading comprehension and bedside manner.
>>
>>56252094
Are you the same jackass who posts just to pick fights? Fuck off, jackass.
>>
>>56252108
>What are you talking about?
Your "I can't find a BT adapter that works with the M100."
>>
>>56252299
If you mean getting a V-moda cable to plug the headphones into an adapter, I mentioned getting both as well.
>>
Need a headset for work, ask for a G35, get a G35.

I look like a fucking goober because they're massive, but goddamn they are kush.
>>
>>56252290
Why are you so triggered op?
>>
>>56252372
>>>/v/
>>
File: g35-crack.jpg (159KB, 1024x594px) Image search: [Google]
g35-crack.jpg
159KB, 1024x594px
>>56252372
You goofed it, they have a terrible design flaw.

The joint where they swivel is held together with plastic, over time that plastic fatigues and cracks and eventually breaks.
It is very common on all the logic headphones with that design.
>>
>>56252372
>headset
I AM FROWNING!!!
VERY FROWN!
>>
File: superior wired.png (630KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
superior wired.png
630KB, 1280x720px
Wireless will never look this cool.
Stupid wireless, needs to be stupid recharged every 2 hours.
>>
>>56252393
When are you going to grow up and stop lurking /hpg/ just to troll?
>>
>>56245166
Frown on me then OP

I purchased these recently and was not impressed by the Philips SHP9500 .

I missed the closed set feel and found that using a add on boom mike the people in my voice chat could hear whatever music I was playing, even though the volume was quite low.

So I plan on buying a wireless headset because Ive always wanted to try one and Im a sucker for surround sound.

Basically Im planning on buying a Logitech G930 Wireless Headset because convenience.

Or splurging on some Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless.
Thoughts? Recommendations for wireless headphones in the 100-200 range?
>>
File: gta-v-michael.jpg (63KB, 760x428px) Image search: [Google]
gta-v-michael.jpg
63KB, 760x428px
>>56252541
>wireless
>headset
Now you've done it. Prepare for autism.
>>
File: five_fingers_to_da_face.webm (268KB, 608x336px) Image search: [Google]
five_fingers_to_da_face.webm
268KB, 608x336px
>>56252541
>wireless
>headset
Kek
>>
>>56252541
Why is anyone supposed to care how you spend your money when it is obvious you aren't looking for help?
>>
>>56252541
>surround sound
>>
>>56252541
>wireless
Triggered.

>headset
GET OUT OF MY SAFE ZONE REEEEEEEE
>>
>>56252541
>>56252566
>>56252591
>>56252683
My samefag sense is tingling.
>>
How would you guys say the NVX XPT100 compares to the ATH-M40x?

I just got the NVX after a year or so with the ATH, my first decent pair of headphones. It sounds so... different, I'm not entirely sure what I'm hearing.
>>
>>56252762
Is it now?

We are elite audiophiles here and we won't tolerate your bullshit mp3 tier wireless or headset requests.

tl;dr
FUCK OFF
>>
>>56252851
Yeah. I've done that trick in the past. Used my mobile data plan to make it look like I'm a different poster than on my desktop.
>>
Should I get an SMSL SD793-II or is there something better for around the same price?
>>
File: IMG_20160825_142807.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160825_142807.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
>>56253052
No desktops here
>>
>>56253237
>I am a prisoner and cannot easily walk outside and take a picture with my smartphone.
You really convinced me.
>>
>>56248631
Damn, I just got some JVC marshmallows, they don't sound as good when I use to remember. They're still good
>>
>>56253281
I'm in a park fyi, weather is beautiful so I've been out on a stroll for the last hour and a half or so
>>
File: IMG_20160825_144156_HDR.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160825_144156_HDR.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>56253281
You should go out more, it's healthy.

Plus you can appreciate your beautiful, superior, wired headphones with some beautiful scenery.
>>
Hey nerds, looking for a decent pair of noise cancelling in ear headphones that i can wear in my helmet while riding my motorcycle, needs to be slim so it will fit in my ears and helmet.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>56253343
No.
Fuck off dyke.
>>
>>56253353
Rude.
>>
YOU HAVE TO EAT ALL THE EGGS
>>
>>56253343
That's illegal you dipshit.
>>
>>56253465
No it's not, I usually wear ear plugs anyway do reduce wind noise.
>>
>>56253482
FUCK YOU LAW BREAKER
MODS MODS MODS
>>
>>56253482
No, it literally is illegal in every state and all first world countries. If a cop tells you to pull over and you can't hear them then what?
>>
Sony mdr-v6 or ath-m50x?
>>
I'm looking for the smallest and cheapest speakers that are worth buying. I'm not looking for audiophile quality, I just need something better than my 15 year old tinny gateways.

Trouble is, I don't see anything on the wiki or pastebins regarding speakers. Does anyone have any personal anecdotes?
>>
>>56253711
Just post a budget and what you consider small, there are too many cheap speakers out there
>>
>>56253745
Oh right, I can't believe I forgot that.

I need thin more than I do anything else. 4 inches wide ideal, 6 inches maximum. Assume a hard limit of 100 dollarydoos.
>>
>ordered SHP9500
>received SHP9500S

They look the same to me, but the cable is shorter. Any other differences?
>>
>>56253711
>>56253762
Mackie CR Series CR3 are under 6" wide and just under $100
>>
>>56253847
>>56253762
>>56253745

Also, the Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II are $90 and less than 4" wide, they are pretty tall though at 9"
>>
>>56253847
Is an 80hz lower bound about the best I can hope for at this size and price? I'm no basshead and I'm certainly no audiophile, but that's worse than my old logitech headset.
>>
>>56254020
If you want lower, get a subwoofer
>>
>>56254020
Pretty much if you can't have it be wider than 6", that limits you to basically a 4" woofer at best. Without a DSP running like a KEF speaker there is no way you'll get much lower at that size.
>>
I've become the family "expert" on audio. Relative is buying her kid babby's first headphones for a audio tech class and the teacher has demanded that the student's have something better than beetz. Trying to compile a reasonable list with a few options at different price points focusing on the assumed goal of mixing (so avoiding closed-ear/in-ear, seeking neutral balance, etc.).

Is my list retarded, /hpg/?

"Cheap enough to buy multiple pairs" tier:
- Superlux HD 681
- Koss UR40

"My kid won't break these/get robbed at school" tier:
- Sony MDRMA300
- AKG K 240
- Philips SHP9500

"The professor said 'Sennheiser or Grado'" tier:
- Grado SR80e
- Sennheiser HD 518 (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see anything they offer under this price point that isn't closed-ear or buds/wireless/etc.)

I'm just not gonna mention anything >$100.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160824-232849.png (300KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160824-232849.png
300KB, 1440x2560px
Are these the best earbuds I can get for under 50 American dollars? I want something balanced or slightly warm but I hate shrill highs like my old rock zircons. Thanks.
>>
>>56254281
>Grado
If the professor actually recommends Grado as anything other than a bad example, they need to run like hell from that school
>>
>>56254404
Details? All I really know about Grado is they make expensive headphones.
>>
>>56254453
Not the same anon but you should be careful of whose opinion you take in /hpg/. Take any advice you get, even this one, with a grain of salt.

Hardcore objectivists bash Grados because it doesn't fit within their concept of "ideal sounding measurements."
>>
>>56254453
>>56254513
They sound awful, are built poorly, are uncomfortable, and are fatiguing to listen to for more than half an hour. I had a pair of SR225is for almost a year hoping to eventually like them but I just couldn't take it anymore.
>>
>>56253711
>>
>>56254513
>They sound awful
I had a different experience. They sounded fun, though the stock pads on the 225s were uncomfortable so needed a bit of modding. Had them for about three years before I sold them after getting my HD650s.
>>
>>56254649
>>56254671
Well, does anything else in the list seem egregious?
>>
I have two different cables that have broken plugs. Wires are fine.

I'm going to cut both broken plugs off, and try to fit one onto the other cable.

How best to do this?
>>
Jesus, I just ordered a tube amp. And I paid $40 extra for special tubes. I mean it's not magic rocks or a $4500 current purifier but I can't believe it's come to this.

I swear the whole industry's in on it together. Beyerdynamic aren't stupid, they know the T1 is fucking bright. They revel in my pain and laugh as another goy seeks out lush mids and tamed treble. Maybe amps sound different, I don't know, but it's too late for me. It's all over.
>>
>Budget: 50$/200PLN
>Location: Poland
>Source: ...Bluetooth.
>Preferred type of headphone: full-sized
>Open or closed: leaning towards closed
>Comfort level: sound quality takes priority - i can just tape some sponges
>Preferred tonal balance: n/a
>Past headphones: Sennheiser HD201

Mom's iPod Touch jack is dying. She doesn't want to risk destroying anything during the repair (dad's broke the digitizer in mine when my jack gave out, when ordered new one + battery they were shit - device is unusable basically), but she wants to keep using it. They can be used. I can order from aliexpress.

http://www.ceneo.pl/ - price comparison site for pollacks

Another thing - I was thinking of a bluetooth adapter from ali for 15$, just a receiver and a jack out. Are they worth any shit?
>>
My head is very large, recomend me a pair of headphones that will fit

I like full over the ear coverage, $50 and under ideally

also in ear phones that won't fall out while walking/biking
>>
Why do my phones only sound good when it's really high volume?
>>
>>56255357
Buedio turbines
>>
>>56255445
Depends on what signature they have and your preferences.
V-shaped headphones at lower volumes sound more balanced.
>>
I'm interested in replacing my old pro gaymen headset with something less plebeian. Not wanting to fall for that meme again... I'm after some seinheiser or similar headphones in the £50 range, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Is there a cheap desktop mic that will work well enough alongside?
>>
The ATH-M50x aren't meme headphones are they? Figured I'd better make sure.
>>
>>56252094
Post a gaming headset more durable than a V-Moda with BoomPro. Do it.
>>
>>56253343
And then se have faggots like you you ask stupid shit and risk killing inocent people...
>>
Anyone here have any experience with the mdr-1a?

Most reviews are positive, usually the only bad point brought up is it's price and that it's too expensive for what it is. It was like $300 at launch but here in the UK it's now £109.

These headphones tick all the boxes for me (comfort, portability, closed) but can someone who's owned these confirm i'm making a good purchase?
>>
I bought a Xiaomi Hybrid for 24 euros. Did I fuck it up?

I've only owned cheap ass earbuds (currently using Sennheiser MX160), I'm looking for something to listen while at work, not sure big ass headphone and with not much isolation (need to be able to hear colleagues speaking to me).
>>
>>56256430
They are good if you are looking for strong bass closed headphones at that price point.
>>
File: 20160825.jpg (416KB, 700x2628px) Image search: [Google]
20160825.jpg
416KB, 700x2628px
>>
>>56256430
>Sennheiser HD 518

They are kinda meme...

To be honest, they are not bad and you can certainly listen to anything on these, but they are also not the "holy grail of price/performance" like anyone praises it.

If you like bass/fun sounding cans, look for sony/beyerdynamic and make sure they are closed.

If you like neutral/analytical soundings with instrument seperation and a wide stage or you are a gaymer, go with open sennheisers.

Don't take this to serious tho. You should listen to some headphones and decide afterwards.

I'm happy with Sennheiser HD600 for classical/instrumental/slow music and gaming but also some cheap (35€) Sony MDR-XB500 just for bass heavy music.
>>
>>56245166
>mfw 3 days ago hpg helped me choose what Bluetooth earphones to buy
>wake up, check catalog
>wireless is frowned upon
???
>>
>>56257619
Are you enjoying your low fidelity garbage? Plebs like you are not welcome in these parts, here on /hpg/ we're serious about audio
>>
>>56257667
said the dude who just spend 40000$ for a curency purifier, 2000$ for platinum cables and another 400$ for a polish priest to bless his pre-pre-amp just to make sure there are no evil ghosts in your audio that that distort stuff...

Seriously, audiophiles are worse than bro-sience gym idiots...
>>
>>56257667
Well, they haven't come in yet cause it's from China, but I am looking forward to not having a wire flapping about on my morning jogs.
>>
>>56257722
placebo effect is directly related to how much you think something is worth.

Totally esoteric. Spend more than 1k for a non studio environment? You got shilled.
>>
What's the maximum I should spend on headphones if I'm not planning to use them with a DAC and an amplifier?
>>
>>56257768
$1,799.00
>>
>>56257778
250~, keep it under 80Ω and you should be fine.
>>
>>56257768
The price doesn't matter. The headphone is fine as long whatever device you plug your headphones into is fine with the electrical demands you place on it.

This is independent of price, but not of the headphone.

>>56257791
The impedance modulus alone is not enough.
>>
>>56257768
Price is irrelevant. Most dacs are good enough I'd say but when it comes to amplification it's pretty tricky. Anyhow the most important spec is output impedance and unfortunately when it comes to most gear it's a mystery.
>>
Reminder that you can achieve perflat for less than $80
>>
>>56249296
aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuutttttttiiiiiiiiiissssssssmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>56252541
Try a pair of better headphones first. You're turning away from good headphones because you bought cheap shit, and now that you want to spend more money you're buying headphones that will sound the same as the cheap shit you bought, but have added problems like multiple smaller drivers and wireless.

Just buy some hd 598's and then consider your options.
>>
>>56250901
You're probably just used to the bass on the xb's.

I have 598's and they're not bass shy at all. That said I have an amp with high output impedance so mine do have a bit of a boost, but even on my computer's onboard they're fine.
>>
>>56255548
Is that why the bassy dark phones like the HD 650 are so popular?
>>
>>56255165
Jesus why would you buy T1's if you don't like treble?

Buy the dt880 first and if you like it then go for their higher end models.

You're like those idiots who buy a cheap house in a shitty neighbourhood far away from their place of work and then complain that they don't get along with their neighbours who they have nothing in common with and have to spend a quarter of their pay cheque on fuel.
>>
>>56256885
If they're anything like sony's other fashion cans expect V-shaped with hollow midrange.

Would recommend buying something like the sennheiser px200 instead.
>>
About the HD 518 do they sound in anyway similar to HD598 or perhaps even HD600 or 650?
>>
>>56255445
Because you're used to shit sound quality and the only way the music has any energy is through volume and pressure. Good headphones sound best when you can hear what's in the mix, not when they're at their loudest.
>>
>>56258365
They're popular because not everyone prefers a neutral sound. A lot like a good bit of bass extension, and even more like headphones that aren't fatiguing which usually translates to smoother or lower treble.

HD600/650 are detailed and fit that category perfectly without over emphasising any one thing too much. They're excellent headphones, that's why they're popular.
>>
>>56258408
They're similar signature wise, but you get what you pay for - they just don't have the detail retrieval of any of the higher end gear.
>>
>tfw my $99 2014 black friday 598's snapped into 2 cause I was a careless idiot and brought them into my bed, fell asleep and rolled over on them.

gonna go with the K712's probably.
>>
>>56251713
RE400 is built poorly. The tips used are nice, but the cable construction is frail.
The Ety MK5 is the flatter option anyway.

>>56258365
Hardly any headphones are equalized along the equal loudness contour. The 650 has resonant frequency far too high to do that.
>>
>>56258482
Their resonance range is like their blind spot as it were?
>>
>>56258469
Have had the k712 and currently have hd598

K712 are far better, and I didn't notice any of the imbalances people talk about with earlier AKG models from the same line.
>>
>>56258468
I see. I tried out the HD518 at one point and I just couldn't stand them. The only thing I could hear was mid bass, everything else was veiled. In comparison I thought the DT990 sounded better but it gets fatiguing real fast. Now I have the K701 and while it sounds great, they just feel like they're missing part of the frequency, it's like listening to a pair of really good near field monitors that have 6 inch bass drivers. I'm really eager to try the HD600 and see how it sounds.
>>
I need cheap, comfy headphones with a detachable aux cable.
Something around the $70-ish range.
>>
>>56258583
Most of that problem is of the frequency magnitude. Not exactly hard to deal with.

>>56258494
The resonance frequency is the frequency at which the headphone is prone to storing energy. The consequence of the energy being slow to dissipate is a boost around the frequency.
The ear loses the ability to detect lower bass response from the pressure relief hole inside the inner ear. If the 650 were really loudness contour equalized, Sennheiser would have set the resonant frequency much lower, as low as they possibly could.
>>
File: mikucry.jpg (271KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
mikucry.jpg
271KB, 1280x800px
I want a bass heavy, v shaped, full size, low impedance headphone. Budget is 150 bucks.

By bass heavy and v shaped I mean it needs to have almost nigger bass but not awful highs & mids, especially I like crisp sharp highs because I listen to vocaloid and more japshit.
>>
Anyone knows a cheap dac or amp to boost some HD598. Bass boost would be excellent.

Budget is around 50€. I don't mind build quality as long as it gets the job done.
>>
>>56258875
You are filth... ...Sony mdr-1a if you can get them cheap they are around 150 - 160 bucks.
>>
>>56258905
598 doesn't need a dac or amp, I have it and even my phone can make it sound as loud as a speaker. I got memed into buying an amp for them so I bought the Fiio E07K but it made no difference other than being able to raise the volume to insane and possibly damaging levels.
>>
>>56259117
thanks buddy. that was the answer i was hoping for :)
>>
>>56259253
Actually I missed the part about the bass boost, the FiiO E07K has a bass boost that works quite well with the 598 to make them a bit more bassy, but it costs around 100€.
>>
File: mixer.jpg (150KB, 1200x897px) Image search: [Google]
mixer.jpg
150KB, 1200x897px
Heyo guys, I'm having a bit of an issue right here :

I'd like to have the sound of my computer AND the sound of my HDMI monitor at the same time but idk if there's a way to do it. I heard about those mixers but do they exist with jack ports ? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance family
>>
>>56259442
Is there any cheaper bass boost alternative?
>>
>>56258547
>>56258469

I used a FiiO E10k with my 598s and they worked very nice for my needs.

Would they be ok with the 712's or should I be shopping for a new DAC + Amp as well?
>>
>>56256430
They are meme phones when you consider that they are overpriced and overhyped, anon

But if you want some bass in a portable closed pair for ~150, not bad.
>>
>>56257768
As other anons said, there is not a max price if you don't plan on getting an amp/dac. The X2 had an MSRP of like $300 I think - does not need an amp. Cheaper Beyerdynamics do benefit from an amp (the degree depends on model)

No big deal tho. Get an e10k for about $60 and you're fine .
>>
>>56258848
XPT100 has a detach cable, comfy, about $70
>>
>>56250901
what
the bass on the 598's is definitely there. its not head thumping, but definitely noticable. try a shorter cable and/or an external amp. it sounds like its your source, not the headphones

i've personally noticed a slight difference in bass when switching between my phone and USB dac [oddly my phone sounds warmer]
so it may just be that your mobo isn't doing too great

though do note that the xb500's are pretty fucking heavy on the bass, so im not surprised youre kind of missing it.

otherwise you've got defective headphones
>>
>i fell for the SHP9500 meme

absolutely btfo by my trusty HM5's
>>
>>56260436
Not the anon that asked, but what would be the cheapest usb dac to use with them? I don't want to blow out money for a big dac that can't pull anything more out of my cans.

I once had some xb700s and they sounded horribly blasted with all the bass. So much, that listening to anything hurt after 10 minutes or so.

If the xb500's are anything near the 700's, maybe his ears are damaged to some degree?
>>
>>56254281
switch the HD 681's to the 668B's with velour AKG pads

otherwise they're uncomfortable as fuck

tho that fucks the price up i guess

m70x's do well as a closed back monitor, not sure if that'd fit the budget tho
>>
File: graphCompare.png (70KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
graphCompare.png
70KB, 1000x500px
>>56260570
if you want to test the headphones with a proper dac/amp, then go to an independent music equipment store and ask if you can test them. if they're a good store then they absolutely will let you.

and yeah maybe his hearing could potentially be damaged. look at the fuckin bass levels holy shit

I personally have hearing damage and highs in songs physically hurt. i bought 598's for them slightly rolled off highs, and i'm so glad.
>>
What DAC/AMP should I get that's under $100?
>>
>>56261049
e10k
>>
>>56261091
how does SMSL SD793-II compare?
>>
>>56261113
the smsl is better
>>
>>56261113
Who knows? There is no measurements of it
>>
>>56245772
dt880 is definitely a downgrade
>>
>>56261447
>objectively more neutral up to 2khz
>can be EQ'd more easily than hd600
>lower distortion across the board
>>
File: 1456923962142.gif (490KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1456923962142.gif
490KB, 320x240px
>>56261514
Prepare yourself for the HD600 defense force, lad
>>
>>56260757
Thats the exact same reason why I bought them.

I don't even use the xb700's anymore. They just sound so wrong. It's like a redneck trying to read shakespear or something. It's something, but totally wrong in some way.

Anyway, thanks. I will look forward to a good music equiment store in the near future.
>>
>>56261514
Is that... Did you just really... OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

HD600 IS A GODSEND AND PERFECT IN ANY WAY AND YOU ARE PROPABLY JUST GAY FOR LIKING SOMETHING ELSE!!!

But really my ears are to bad... I can't hear a difference between any of these headphones, unless they are made for something completely different. Like, closed or open.

I wish I could understand which magical differences all of you hear.
>>
File: 1326490207737.jpg (74KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1326490207737.jpg
74KB, 400x400px
>>56245206
k702/q701/k712. dt880 if you can stand the treble. haven't tried the 400i but I don't see it living up to the hd600, it still has upper mids planar problems and bass isn't that good without pad replacement. I love the X2 but overall it's slightly worse in terms of balance, but if you're looking for something a bit colored, like if you're coming from an m50 or dt770, you will love the X2. ma900 also looks very good, I would put that up there.
>>
>>56261514
problem with the dt880 is you can't nuke the treble enough to shake that emphasis from the signature. same way I feel about the v6 and to a lesser extent many AKG headphones. difference is I'm fine with a headphone being a bit upper-midsy, I even prefer it sometimes. that beyer sharp upper peak is too much for me though.
>>
>>56262287
Could you tell me which headphones have a signature that are the opposite of that? Just sennheisers or are there more?
>>
Are Sennheiser headphones a meme? I swear every single pair I used from this brand has been complete garbage.

I have or have had these Sennheisers:
HD598: literally no bass, musically awful, I just use them for gaming

Urbanite: claims to have nigger bass, but it doesn't deliver it compared to Beats which have true nigger bass, I was looking forward to a bass heavy can but these are just veiled boring and uncomfortable "fashion headphone" that sounds just as bad as my 30€ closed back JVC. I got these as a gift.

MX580 earbuds: mid tier earbuds that sounds worse than the $5 VE Monk, broke after a year, shit build quality, volume controls also started decreasing the volume unevenly after a few months

MX880 earbuds: supposedly high ends earbuds, costed me 60€, I thought they sounded good but then I got the VE Monk and it sounds better, again for just $5, worse build quality than my AKG Y15 earbud that costed me 10€

Momentum In-Ear: costed me 99€, sounded worse than the headset I got built in with my Sony Z3, had nigger bass when I was looking for clean bass, lack of detail, shitty mids, shrill fatiguing highs, shit quality plug, absolute garbage, even the headset buttons didn't work with my Sony even though silly Sennheiser said it was compatible. I sent them back.

HD555: friend of mine has them, I tried them for a day to compare them to the 598, they sound like complete garbage, manage to somehow have even less bass than the 598, and sound tinny as fuck

So am I unlucky or is there any Sennheiser headphone that isn't complete garbage?
>>
>>56262616
Seems like your taste/judgement is garbage, tbhwyf
>>
My Piston 3 decided to shit themselves and lower the volume in the left channel, welp, time to buy a new pair of IEMs, looking for suggestion.
>Budget: $30-50
>Location: Europe / Denmark
>Source: Phone
>Preferred type of headphone: IEM.
>Comfort level: Irrelevant, as long as they're not the monoprice 8320
>Preferred tonal balance: Slightly v-shaped.
>Past headphones: Piston 3, AWEI ES800M, Sennheiser HD-25-ii, Phillips Fidelio X2.
>>
>>56262616
Maybe your preference is just complete garbage.

You want nigger bass, then you probably listen to nigger music and edm only. Take some sony xb500 and never the fuck come back to this thread, because you obviously don't know anything about headphones but your own corrupted "opinion" about what is good.

Fucking edm/bassheads/edgelord faggots. I'm out... *triggered*
>>
>>56262814
Faggot I don't even want nigger bass. I expected the Urbanite to have it but it didn't, so it's completely worthless to me because it has the same shitty sloppy bass as my JVC I already own. Lately I don't even use any of my IEMs or headphones, I just bought 5 pairs of VE Monks since they sound adeguate for $5 and they just disappear in my ear.

Obviously the VE Monk doesn't have nigger bass, in fact it has slightly more bass than the 598, I'd just like a little bit more but I can just EQ it in unlike on the 598 which distorts like a pussy every time I try to EQ in some bass.
>>
File: QqE7I4X.png (85KB, 837x673px) Image search: [Google]
QqE7I4X.png
85KB, 837x673px
>>56262858
sorry dude... maybe we got off on the wrong foot.
guess my autism kicks in as soon as someone says something against sennheiser in general.

I used to have some 598's and the bass should be ok for most things. In fact, I could eq mine quite precise.

If you still have them. Try pic related.
>>
File: K553.jpg (408KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
K553.jpg
408KB, 900x900px
K553 for 120 bucks on Massdrop.
>>
>>56262616
>Are Sennheiser headphones a meme?
Truly a great way to ask something.
>HD598: literally no bass
Not much of it but there is bass. It's overall very neutral, slightly bass light headphone.
>musically awful
That doesn't mean anything at all. Headphones or your audio equipment isn't "musical". Sounds to me that your tonal preference is somewhere else than in neutral signature.
>Urbanite: claims to have nigger bass
Who claims that? They are dark/warm headphones, not all that bassy. Being completely honest their response is awful, near flat raw response, which would indeed sound veiled. Urbanite XL is more bassy. And not all Beats have nigger bass. Their product lineup is all over the place just like with nearly every other company making headphones.
>MX580 earbuds
>MX880 earbuds
Yeah those are bad, they are your standard issue earbuds afterall. Get EarPods or better yet one of the better Yuin offerings if you want quality buds. Even them lose in almost every single respect to a cheap pair of in-ears. Earbuds are decent for making calls and listening to speech without blocking you out from outside noise.
>Momentum In-Ear
You definitely overpaid. Nothing there what you cant get for one fifth of the price. They are your standard in-ears with bassy response.
>HD555
Response is very flat and close to neutral. Even more so than the HD 598 but these two should sound similar.

Out of these headphones you've tried I'd say the HD 598 and HD 555 are excellent but if their response is not enjoyable to you, maybe try out different kinds of headphones to see what really suits you. Philips Fidelio X2 maybe?
>>
>>56262616
Yeah, that's a lot of opinions you got there, and not well fundamented ones either.
>>
What's the point of 96k or even 196k bitrates? Like, all my music is 44100 at most. Is only some music released at those bitrates? Do they sound different?
>>
>>56263500
Makes audiophiles' nipples harder when they know it's high res, that's about it.
>>
File: caa825b9_monkplusfullfoam[1].png (28KB, 1202x798px) Image search: [Google]
caa825b9_monkplusfullfoam[1].png
28KB, 1202x798px
>>56263021
>Who claims that? They are dark/warm headphones, not all that bassy.
Sennheiser claims "Massive bass without compromised clarity". Yet the bass is not massive and the clarity is severely compromised.

> Being completely honest their response is awful, near flat raw response, which would indeed sound veiled. Urbanite XL is more bassy.

Actually I have the XL.

This is the frequency response for Urbanite XL
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserUrbaniteXL.pdf

Pic related is for VE Monk.

What can you tell me about it? I'm not audiophile enough to interpret these results. All I know is that my ears tell me that a shitty $5 earbud is my endgame, they're just a bit lacking in bass.

Who knows, maybe I have nigger ears, but if the VE Monk is meme earbud of the year all year on Head Fi maybe they aren't that bad.

Maybe you can recommend me a full size can with the same sound as the VE Monk but on steroids and with more bass.
>>
Looking for an IEM that gets sorta close to my HD650s
Does the SE535 compare?
>>
>>56263607
>Pic related is for VE Monk.
I'm fairly sure that graph is wildly inaccurate without having ever listened to the VE Monk.

>>56263777
Has less treble than the 650 and suffers badly from a total lack of upper treble.
The ER-4P/4PT/HF5 are arguably closer.
>>
>>56263825
>I'm fairly sure that graph is wildly inaccurate without having ever listened to the VE Monk.

Why?
>>
>>56263898
Bass dropoff like that is very, very unnatural. It doesn't fit with standard earphone acoustics.
I do know of a popular and inaccurate measurement kit that commonly introduces these types of errors. Where did you get the graph from?
>>
>>56264065
http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk-monk-plus/reviews/15998#comments-title

Anyway what can you tell me about the graph from the Urbanite XL? Are they complete shit or do I have shit ears?
>>
File: Setup (second version).png (2MB, 1617x723px) Image search: [Google]
Setup (second version).png
2MB, 1617x723px
>>56263500
That's actually useful during production, higher bit rate diminishes perceivable quantization error during Analog/Digital conversion, if you record music in 16bits you get about 93db of dynamic range, however, if you record the same piece in 24bits you are actually getting 115db of dynamic range, meaning you get an extra distance of about 20db of extra headroom to work with, keeping the noise floor even further away from your peak levels.
Of course you can (and most likely will) use a dither to introduce random noises and keep quantization error to a minimum, but for studios the jump from 16bits to 24bits and even higher is not that expensive and guarantees that your noise floor will be as far below the rest of the recorded music as possible.

With all that said, yeah, ripping music from a disc in 24bits isn't going to do much at all, giving that it won't change where the noise floor sits (this was defined in the production stage) and that 16bits/44.100Hz is already on the limits of human hearing.

I do understant why someone might want to rip a vinyl disc, giving that it will actually sound different from a CD (it's nothing exoteric though, they just receive a different mastering treatment), but that's it, going above 16bits/44.1KHz for home listening is silly.
>>
Don't be dumb like me and spend 100+ on headphones that don't have a detachable cord.
>>
>>56264248
Brooko's Veritas measurements. Of course it was.

>Urbanite XL
Has a very general high frequency reduction to it. The higher the frequency, the more reduced in level it is. There appears to be some issue getting it to fit properly on the dummy ears, although dummy ears and human ears have very different stiffness. Fit problems, on real or dummy ears, are very common for closed headphones anyway.

Boosted upper bass like most Senns. This be one the major causes of the the "veil" and unclear sound.
The XL doesn't look good, and that might be a merciful judgement.
>>
>>56264598
So I was right in saying they sound like garbage and that the Monk is better.
>>
>>56264461
>confusing sample rate and sample depth
Anon...
>>
File: 1385908463531.jpg (41KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1385908463531.jpg
41KB, 247x248px
>mfw I thought audiophiles were delusional before I discovered that rich musicians spend million of dollars on old instruments that literally sound the same as new ones
>>
>>56265150
Old instruments have value, audiophiles bickering over headphones and why wires are superior are just morons
>>
>>56265146
i'm honestly not sure if you are pointing at a mistake i might have made or just messing with me, but Anon was asking about bit rate differences:
>What's the point of 96k or even 196k bitrates?
>Is only some music released at those bitrates? Do they sound different?

Not sure why he menstioned all his music being 44.1KHz, but it's not like he's wrong about it anyway.
>>
>>56265150
many hobbyists spend on things that are just valueable because there is a hobby around them, some objects have artistic or historical value, some are just rare and therefore cost more among those who want it, some have prices based on the kind of study or engineering that went behind the production etc. Bottom line is: It's worth how much people with money are willing to pay for it.
>>
>>56265468
I thought he was asking about sample rates. But he's confused about something.

I disagree that wider bit depth gives more dynamic range. In theory yes, but with dithering nope.
>>
File: 61A2r5+nehL._SL1000_.jpg (122KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61A2r5+nehL._SL1000_.jpg
122KB, 1000x1000px
Are there any other headphones equal or better compared to the DT990's for the same price or less?

I've used these before and think they're pretty nice.
>>
>>56265704
A used X2?
>>
>>56265821
>used
Enjoy listening to music through semen and pizza crusts
>>
>>56265834
Clean headphones and replace pads. If not happy, return. Nothing wrong w/ buying used for budget since it can save you like $70 for a product in good condition minus a small scratch or damaged box. Who cares?
>>
>>56265627
Yes, he does sound a bit confused, and yeah, there's no much point in more depth with dithering, if i'm not mistaken a good reason to have higher bit rate is when you are recording more dynamic music with quieter parts than usual on pop music, some classic pieces for example, using dithering on something that's too quiet might not render a result as nice as stepping away from noise floor.
>>
I bought a new headphone and for some reason it's making a strange static/white noise that only happens whenever I move my mouse or if there's something bright on the screen. What could it be?
>>
File: 1471249135307.gif (2MB, 294x294px) Image search: [Google]
1471249135307.gif
2MB, 294x294px
>>56265876
>getting balls deep with semen crusted headphones to save $5
>>
File: 1472032692518.jpg (49KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472032692518.jpg
49KB, 640x640px
>>56265951
>>semen crusted

Why do you keep thinking they are covered in cum? Do you finish on your headphones when jacking off?

>$5 = $70

ebin
>>
>>56265996
>$5 = $70
Wow you're maths is bad
>>
>>56263500
They are useful during the signal reconstruction in DACs to allow using simpler and more effective low pass filter before Nyquist frequency. The term for this is oversampling.

All digital systems have to filter out the remaining audio band above Nyquist frequency to avoid it folding back below Nyquist as it causes aliasing distortion. Nyquist frequency is half of the sampling rate and the highest frequency that can be represented by the signal. In audio reproduction, we want to have a band which extends up to 20 KHz as it's a generous representation of the upper limit of our hearing. When using 44.1 KHz sampling rate, creating a low pass filter that allows the audio band to linearly extend to 20 KHz but drop down rapidly before Nyquist(22.05 KHz) has to be extremely steep("brickwall") to succeed. Creating these filters is hard, expensive and never fully succeed at filtering out the remaining band without affecting parts of the audible band. But if you have your sampling rate doubled or quadrupled, that extra octave or two makes creating these filters much more simple and effective.

They are also used as an intermediate production format because the extra sampling rate helps to lower noise, increases resolution and reduces distortion.

>Do they sound different?
No, if the filter is of decent quality and they tend to have been for good decade now. A sampling rate that allows us to create all parts of the audible band is not going to sound any different than a sampling rate that does that and goes above what we can hear. This is a simple limitation of our hearing and the reason for these higher sampling to exist lies in signal processing and production. It's no a meaningful part during listening.

I mentioned that the 20 KHz upper limit of useful band is fairly generous and I'm sure nobody lurking in this thread can't hear quite that high. With 44.1 KHz sampling rate you can create signals up to 22.05 Khz and that fully covers our range of hearing.
>>
File: 1469166166697.webm (2MB, 854x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469166166697.webm
2MB, 854x720px
>>56265996
>>
>>56262940
i can guarantee that you haven't lowered the preamp enough
>>
>>56265930
Interference from other devices such as the USB controller on your motherboard. My laptop and one phone I had did that.
>>
>>56266082
>DT 770

Are these actually any good? I heard the bass is a bit too strong
>>
>>56262940
Try adjusting the filter width(Q) and the frequencies where those filters are. You could do that bass boost with one filter but I'd use two to avoid rising the upper bass too much. I don't have an EQ to test with or the headphones but create two peaking filters: +7dB 20Hz Q 0.7(or adjust the amplitude of bass to your liking) and -3dB 100Hz Q 0.9. Remove other filters for bass you might have and keep preamp at negative 1dB more than the highest gain in the 20Hz filter used, in this case -8dB.
>>
I need over ear closed headphones for work/gaming/youtube.
Have to have decent sound and be as durable and cheap as possible. Velour pads a plus.

I already have 2 other sets of headphones for music and movies that I use from time to time, but my main headphones don't survive over 2 months of use, because I wear them for over 10 hours a day.
>>
DEAD GENERAL DEAD GENERAL
>>
>>56253343
lol at the autists here dude, look into etymotic earphones

if i see youtuber motovloggers listening to music with earbuds or built in speakers. you can definitely do it with in-earphones too.
>>
>>56266255
I love you anon! It's not a huge difference, but ever so slightly better than what I did.

>>56266363
Headphones with changable cables? Even without, this doesn't make sense... Do you smoke crack and whip your Headphones around in a blind rage or why don't they survive for 2 month? The cheapest usable headphones I know are the Sennheiser HD201. But I don't know your budget.
>>
File: 9_20_2012_4_57_28_pm.jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
9_20_2012_4_57_28_pm.jpg
16KB, 400x300px
>>56267473
>Headphones with changable cables?
It's not the cables. The fuckin ears just break off.

I'm currently wearing some Grundigs with metal headband and metal sliders, so the ears themselves are now cracked on both sides. I say they won't last more than another week.

I don't know, maybe I just have a big head or maybe putting them on an off 100 times a day is what makes them break.
>>
Guys can u help me? I posted in /sqt/ but figured out I could use some help from /hpg/

Looking for bookshelf speakers reccomendations, my budget is 300 usd for a pair, gonna be powered by a SMSL Q5 amp
>>
>>56267542
>>56267473
Also I have a pretty lose budget generally, but wasting money every 2 months just seems silly. So something under $50.
>>
>>56267542
I should of never gave those Sony XB headphones away.

Nothing was wrong with them(for me).
>>
hi cuties

>150 euros
>France
>Computer
>Full size
>Open
>As comfy as poissible, would be listening to it for hours
>HD 280 Seinheiser

I'm mostly looking for an open headphone because I think my closed 280HD raped my ears slowly but surely because of how long and how strongly I listened to music
I want to avoid that now, I was looking at the AKG K702 which seemed good, , I loved how everything is so clear when using my current heaphone
Thanks in advance
>>
>>56267542
I feel you. But it's the headphones that are build shitty. I fixed mine with epoxy-resin (you can see it on the screws). That was before my cable broke last week.

I still want to fix them, but these are just overall bad build quality. (that bass tho)
>>
>>56267621
>>56267542

Forgot the pix...
>>
>>56267634
And btw... Anyone knows how the fix the cable on these?
>>
File: tyllll2.png (69KB, 182x210px) Image search: [Google]
tyllll2.png
69KB, 182x210px
I-is he gonna make it?
>>
>USA
>150$ burgerbux or so
>Use: music at the office, vidya gaems, flying
Looking for decent headphones for the above uses. Currently looking at the DT770s, which are 150 on amazon. good idea? Hoping for some solid sound reduction from outside sources, and comfy to wear with glasses for extended periods of time
>>
So I just got my AKG K2400s but I'm having an issue when i plug them into the 3.5mm jack I still get audio out of my speakers. When I do the audio test on my computer the left/right audio played through my headset, the right plays though my speakers (it sounds like its coming from the jack more then the speakers) Ideas to fix this?
>>
>>56267621
99% of modern headphones have shit build, no matter the price. I had Grados snap after a month of careful use.
>>
>>56268122
Grados have been shit since the beginning and haven't changed for decades.
>>
Can we please agree that despite their currently existing faults, there are also some advantages to Bluetooth earphones and headphones and that they shouldn't be frowned upon?

I'm being serious here, I'm tired of all this shitposting. There's arguments for and against it but everyone's ignoring the opposite side and just spamming their own arguments every time it comes up.

Pros of wireless
>no wires
>longer range
>can still be used with an aux cable if hybrid

Cons of wireless
>needs to be recharged, but battery life has improved a lot since early headsets and hybrid ones can run off the aux
>has more parts that can wear out sooner
>slightly inferior sound quality compared to similar priced wired headphones

A couple of niche uses for wireless might be
>answer the phone while it's charging without needing to interrupt charge cycle
>wear them while swimming to keep your phone safe

So can we end this stupid frowning and shitposting meme and just be neutral about this?
Let's be adults about this.
>>
>>56268218
Also forgot some niche cases where wired headphones might be better
>drop phone
>held on by the cord
>>
>>56267950
Turns out its a hardware problem with my laptops sub. Rippo q_q
>>
>>56266124
Hey man, finally managed to solve the problem, apparently the audio driver was the issue since restalling it completely solved the problem, not really sure what happened.
>>
File: 1458734932450.gif (879KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1458734932450.gif
879KB, 500x400px
My DT990's kicked the bucket, looking for something to replace them, preferably open or semi open back, reasonably bright with a nice soundstage and not too heavy on the trebble but with powerful bass.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>56268765
Focal Utopia
>>
File: IMG_20160717_235707828.jpg (450KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160717_235707828.jpg
450KB, 2592x1944px
Found these walking a the park. Can anyone identify brand? I see no markings anywhere.
>>
feeling like this is a good place for this question.
I just want some blinkenlights for my audio setup.
Should I look for a Graphic EQ that has a built in spectrum analyzer? What would be a good one that won't cost me too much? looking to spend under $50 if possible
>>
>>56269315
I think you should make a seperate thread about that.
>>
File: 1326484204159.jpg (493KB, 700x989px) Image search: [Google]
1326484204159.jpg
493KB, 700x989px
>>56250901
bass is hard for the inexperienced. the 598 has quite well extended bass, it's rolled off but not in a big dip ala ad700. the bass is present and pretty tight actually. what you're hearing is lack of bass impact. try turning it up with eq, you'll see what I mean. people naturally associate bass quantity with impact, which is understandable but wrong (on a semi-objective not personal choice level). there are headphone that seem to have lots of bass or bass extension but when you actually measure them that's not the case. the v6 has high bass impact but isn't actually bass elevated on most measurements. 668b has objectively elevated bass but many people say it doesn't sound bassy because the impact is weak. the 598 has very light impact. if boosting it with eq doesn't do it for you, I would look elsewhere. the hd600 does improve on this a great deal, it actually has very good bass impact. if you want something that really rumbles try something like the X2, or the dt770. open dynamic headphones usually suffer in this area, so you might want to go closed.
>>
>>56269098
thieving nigger
>>
>>56268218
>>56268267
Fuck you're gay shit man
>>
>>56270006
Just end this shitposting, hpg is really degrading...
>>
>>56268218
>there are also some advantages
No one has ever denied that there are some advantages. Everyone recognizes that there is a benefit to not snagging wires, ie. convenience. But there has been too much idiotic shit and denial by at least one advocate of bluetooth headphones that justifies anyone who tries to advocate for them is either in denial or just a trolling jackass.

Fuck off.
>>
>>56269893

Cant seem to find that brand online.

Though, it brought up lots of pictures of your mom.
>>
New thread!
>>56270056
>>56270056
>>56270056
>>
>>56270053
>>56270066
>>
>>56270053
It's on both sides man.

Just leave it out of the op, there's nothing to gain by leaving it in.

How much of this thread got derailed by it? I'd guess one third almost.
>>
>>56270060
At least wait for the bump limit, faggot.
>>
>>56270098
And have another thread full of shitposting?
No thanks.
>>
>>56270090
>It's on both sides man.
Sure it is, faggot. Let's blame it on everyone so that we don't have to actually think about the issue.

Great idea! Let's just reward one faggot's complete asshattery that actually engenders both an incentive to dive to the bottom of creating new threads before there's a reasonable need for it AND a negative response to any innocent who sincerely seeks to understand the faults and issues with bluetooth headphones.

Seriously. Fuck off if this is how you think we should act in regards to intentional shitposting and one faggot's personal vendetta.
>>
>>56270105
How much "shitposting" was in this thread? Maybe a dozen of the first thirty posts or so? Your justifications for your asshattery is just as hollow as every other thread you have created a new thread before it was reasonable to do so.
Do you have any idea why I don't subsequently do the same bullshit you do and create a new thread before the bump limit? Because I actually care to have a worthwhile /hpg/ thread not just push a personal agenda. I've been around for years and I will be around for years so I don't care if you create the odd thread without giving fair warning to the innocent. Your creation of a new thread before the bump limit isn't going to change the truth about bluetooth headphones faults and limitations.
>>
>>56270179
Life must be difficult when you're this autistic.

No one wants you shitting up this general.
Kys.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.