[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LINUX GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: 2.jpg (67KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
67KB, 600x600px
What's happening in Linux right now?
>>
Front: VMware lawsuit; GNOME Newcomers; GTK+ Flowgraphs.
Security: Resisting the centralization of network infrastructure; New vulnerabilities in imagemagick, kernel, postgresql, squid, ...
Kernel: The stalled CPU controller; Filesystem mounts in user namespaces; Bus1.
Distributions: A report from Fedora Flock; OpenMandriva Lx 3.0, Fuchsia, ...
Development: Multi-threaded emulation for QEMU; Go 1.7; Ardour 5.0; WordPress 4.6; ...
Announcements: SPI officers, TDF and FSFE strengthen their relationship, FSF annual report, ...
>>
File: 100_1148.jpg (230KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
100_1148.jpg
230KB, 1600x1200px
SHUT IT DOWN
>>
a bunch of autistic middle-aged people making nonsense
>>
File: 100_1153.jpg (287KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
100_1153.jpg
287KB, 1600x1200px
DEBIAN
>>
File: hory shet.jpg (16KB, 399x303px) Image search: [Google]
hory shet.jpg
16KB, 399x303px
Why pajeet waste time with Gaynoo Rinux? Pirate window rike everyone in China do, is also free.
>>
>>56225018
Pretty sure they use L and not R in china
>>
>>56224397
Indians are diluting the quality of all software, but we need to pretend it is okay because "muh diversity". I fucking hate the cucks in the tech industry.
>>
>>56224397
>>>/g/fglt
>>
>>56224397
1. Systemd hate is currently the spiciest meme
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-Mount

2. Wayland on next fedora
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-25-Wayland-Default

3. Debcucks on suicide watch with their shitty package manager
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NysoCN9RR_c

4. Happy 25th birthday, Linux
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/on-linuxs-25th-anniversary-development-has-gone-corporate/

etc
>>
>>56226199
>Debcucks on suicide watch with their shitty package manager

Are you retarded, how is this any kind of news? This has been known for AT LEAST 4 years. Fucking search "uninstall gnome core" and find this as one of the top results:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/164941/why-removing-gnome-core-does-not-remove-all-of-its-dependencies

There's your explanation, along with a method for removing everything safely. You divisive, false-information spreading moron.
>>
File: 1468698974413.jpg (62KB, 750x736px) Image search: [Google]
1468698974413.jpg
62KB, 750x736px
>>56226307
>can install desktop and relevant packages
>can't install desktop and relevant packages
>TRYING to justify this
>>
>>56226389
>can't remove*
>>
>>56226389
Thanks for more false information. You can install a DE + relevant packages with a meta-package like gnome-core. You can also uninstall the DE and its packages, but it should be done manually in order to be safe and not break your system.

Why would it break your system? I believe meta-packages are setup this way because their dependencies can change over time (packages get removed/added/changed).

Can non-APT-based package managers remove entire meta-packages in the way you want? Is it safe to do, especially over time when the meta-package has been updated?
>>
>>56226868
You literally proved my claim in the first sentence
>>
>>56226868
>but it should be done manually in order to be safe and not break your system.
manually because apt can't remove what it just installed
>>
File: indian_debian_guys.jpg (273KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
indian_debian_guys.jpg
273KB, 1600x900px
DEBIAN IS BEST
>>
>>56227032
Shit repo structure, shit package manager
>>
>>56226921
My first sentence: "Thanks for more false information." I don't think that proves anything that you said. You just ignored everything I said.

>>56226938
>manually because apt can't remove what it just installed
You can use a command to view the dependencies, and then remove them yourself. It would take like 2 minutes to set up an alias/script to do it automatically. It isn't done automatically because the dependencies can change, which would cause major instability.

You act like this is some major bug/flaw that ONLY APT experiences, when in reality it's a known quality of meta-packages, and there's logical reasoning behind it.

Why don't you answer my question instead of mindlessly asserting "apt sux"? How do other package managers remove meta-packages automatically, and is it safe over time?

>>56227032
>>56227058
Nice memes. What's a better distro?
>>
>>56227090
>>manually because apt can't remove what it just installed
>You can use a command to view the dependencies, and then remove them yourself. It would take like 2 minutes to set up an alias/script to do it automatically.
There

>It isn't done automatically because the dependencies can change
If nautilus would be required by any other softwares (IDK why) it can stay. Is apt too dumb for this?
>>
File: debian.jpg (226KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
debian.jpg
226KB, 1600x1200px
DEBIAN IS THE FUTURE
>>
>>56227090
>What's a better distro?
One that doesn't come with 3rd party login manager and browser in desktop-core package
>>
>>56224418
>Resisting the centralization of network infrastructure
Sauce on that?
>>
Hi!
Is Bunsenlabs Linux a good distro for people who are new to Linux? thank.
>>
File: 1470796919588.jpg (14KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1470796919588.jpg
14KB, 203x209px
>>56225912
>Indians are diluting the quality of all software, but we need to pretend it is okay because "muh diversity".
No, Indians are hired because they offer to do the same job for cheaper.
Why hire an Electrical Engineer to draw circuits in eagle or a Mech Engineer to do CAD, considering they've expensive loans to pay and they're gonna want a salary to match?
Instead, just contract an Asian or Indian guy who has been doing Eagle or CAD since forever and pay him a fraction as much.

As far as Indians in the US goes, you'd not expect them to be diversity hires because a disproportionate number of tech startups are also Indian; it's no coincidence the cofounder of sun microsystems was Indian; if a minority is a founder of a tech startup, it's likely to be Asian Indian or East Asian. And they appear capable of climbing corporate ladder; with quota hires you usually get the receptionist that stays in a service position all their life.
>>
File: 1422944017466.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1422944017466.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>56227133
>>
>>56227032
Nice folks at the New Delhi Debian users club meeting, I'm guessing.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.