[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I get a job? Linkedin sucks, been trying there for months.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

File: jobcard.jpg (765KB, 1000x725px) Image search: [Google]
jobcard.jpg
765KB, 1000x725px
Where do I get a job?

Linkedin sucks, been trying there for months.
>>
>>56151397
Have you tried kneepads?
>>
>>56151397
>only using the worst place to find a job to find a job
How old are you?18?
Use the fucking Internet you dumb faggot, or go apply at a McJob
>>
There are no good jobs. The economy sucks, richfucks have controlled the job market to only allow people they deem worthy enter it, and your only choice is minimum wage slave labor, which you're supposed to be thankful to get for some fucking reason.
>>
>>56152062
>to only allow people they know enter it

>>56151397
>>>/biz/
>>>/adv/
>>
>>56152022
he is using the internet
>>
>>56152062
You sound bitter. The economy is booming right now by the way.
>>
>>56152185
>tfw no idea how to take advantage of all dat economic boom and land a job
>>
>>56152185
>The economy is booming
Hahaha, fuck off back to /pol/ CTR. That shit is even less believable here.
>>
>>56152062
>be me
>get home for summer from college after getting no internship responses
>be a normal person and drive to various manufacturing/industrial companies
>be cordial and friendly, hand out resumes
>two days later have a full time job at $12/hr
>>
>>56152334
The unemployment rate is literally as low as it can go. If you can't find a job, take a look in the mirror.
>>
>>56152554
Its inaccurate. They only count the small amount of people receiving unemployment benefits.
>>
>>56152554
>The unemployment rate
aren't the unemployment rates manipulated? from what I've read, they don't really consider all the unemployed people as such... which leaves a good % of people out of the statistics
>>
>"looking for a job"
>2016

what a fucking loser. the only people who "look for jobs" are desperate faggots who have no skills. Become an expert at something and start a business or create something and sell your product.
>>
>>56152616
it doesn't take into account all the people that simply said "fuck it" and stopped looking
>>
>>56152638
Woah there boomer. Some us here dont have trust funds. How do you propose we obtain thr capital to start out businesses?
>>
File: danny.jpg (76KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
danny.jpg
76KB, 480x640px
>>56151990
I hear this works.
Have you had any good luck with it?
>>
>>56152667
because small business loans don't exist
>>
>>56152616
>>56152607
>>56152554
The unemployment rate does not take into account people that are underemployed (e.g. college degree working part time / job not in their major / job does not require a degree / etc), and it also disregards those people that are not employed, were looking for a job, but are no longer looking (i.e. people that would work if they could get a job; have given up)
I think it also disregards people that are still looking but have been for over some certain period of time

Not to say the job market or economy is bad, but GDP is growing at the slowest rate in a long long time (globally), and the unemployment rate is definitely not reflective of the current market
Weird times
>>
>>56151397
Not. On. /g/.
>>
>>56152712
Yea you go to a bank with no proof of income and try to get a loan.

Dont you see how fuckes the system is? If you are at the bottom you are fucked. There is no way up.
>>
>>56151397
I been there.
Didn't get a job until 7months out of school to a place I applied and got fucked over by the interviewer.
Job is decent, 23 an hr and it's down the street so I don't have to socialize during lunch break. Benefits and taxs are a bitch though. 400$ out of my paycheck.
>>
>>56152444
>tfw cannot give off good vibes like that even if i try hard
>tfw talking to new people always ends up being weird
>>
>>56152743
Then work on your social skills man, it's a major part of being a functional adult. I'm not great at it by any means, but I still pulled it off.
>>
>>56152717
Thats what i refer to as "The grinder". Its a method the system uses to economically discard the unemployed without showing an accurate number thus releiving the burden of accountability to the system.

That way the system can look good because the real numbers never see the light.

Not unlike the way brazil looks great for the olympics because the favelas are hidden.
>>
>>56152789
too late it's been too long and i'm already bitter
also i wouldn't know how
>>
>>56152638
Kill yourself, basement dweller.
You couldn't tell the difference between starting up your own business and jacking off.
>>
>>56151397
craigslist
>>
File: 1471496135498.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1471496135498.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>56152444
>two days later have a full time job at $12/hr
A backroom truck unloader at Aldi's makes $17/hr
>>
>>56152789
How do you "work on your social skills"?

With a limited pool of people to practice irl skills with, how do you deal with failing in a social scenario? Do you go back to the people you had awkward conversations with?
>>
>>56152736
Your pessimism will do you no favors.
>>
>>56153207
Grow up
>>
>>56153230
Please learn how economy works you spoiled brat.
>>
>>56153251
Do I just grow up with time? I'm 24 and still bad at people.
>>
>>56151397
Jobstreet, Monster, other local job sites.
>>
>>56152185
ya it's about to fuckin boom alright...
>>
>>56151397
Dice + make a projects repository on Github
>>
>>56152879
So you're content with stagnation?

>>56153084
That's far heavier work than what I'm doing and manufacturing is at least peripherally related to my major.

>>56153207
Yes
>>
>>56153284
Over time I've found I'm just more happy if I secluded myself. This may not be true for you. I'm 34.
>>
>>56153334
>So you're content with stagnation?
no anon i'm just waiting out the bad feels phase. I think if i just keep distracting myself with tv and games, my inspiration will return eventually. It used to work in the past when i got tired, and this is sort of like being tired. At least i hope, although it's been too long.
>>
>>56153207
You're probably just not confident and insecure. If you have friends go out with them almost every night. Go to bars, talk to people. People are going to give me shit for this, but pick up smoking. I can't tell you how many times I've struck up conversations with people outside a bar or something over a cigarette.

Just ask a lot of questions, and then when people say something that you can relate to, tell them something anecdotal about how you relate to it. Then they will also respond anecdotally or with a question, usually. This is called a conversation.

It's really not rocket science just relax and talk to cunts
>>
>>56152062
I went from working a temp job waving signs in the streets where I get laughed at by passersby to being a software developer recently. If you think negatively all the time, your life will never improve.
>>
>>56151397
>Where do I get a job?
Most jobs are not advertised. Something like only 1/3 of job vacancies are publicly posted.

It's way more efficient to have friends on the inside. My first job, my dad knew the owner of a store. Owner was like "oh your Mr. Anon's son. Want a job?" Second job was because the owner knew my mum. Third job was because I was literally one of two people who applied. Fourth job was because it had the same boss as the third job. Fifth job is literally the only time I actually got a cold-call job and didn't completely luck out in the selection process.

My roommate's history's about the same. First job: dad's friend, second job: dad's friend's friend, third job: college teacher's friend, fourth job: literally the only person who applied who actually had experience, fifth job: his friend was literally like "yo you want to work with me? okay? cool, see you monday".

Sound unfair? Yeah it is. Make some friends in your industry of choice and you'll miraculously be employed. If you don't it will take months of full time work scouring the internet for positions nobody else has found or you somehow manage to edge out your competition.
>>
Any canadafriends out there that could assist? I don't even know the best canadian sites I've been using fucking monster and Indeed because DICE doens't have a canadian site.

I'm just scared and trying to get some entry-level IT job.
>>
>>56153474
fuck you, if there are any canadianfriends out there, help me first. I'll buy you a pint for your troubles eh
>>
>>56151397
My room mate got an interview with google because some guy was surfing linkedin profiles for our campus.

Maybe you're just straight up unemployable?
>>
>>56153484
>>56153474
There is tonnes of tech jobs in almost every city, most require some form of post secondary education tho.
>>
>>56153230
>Just keep your chin up ;)
wew lad, this is some baby boomer degeneracy if I've ever seen it.
>>
File: 1380770921120.png (228KB, 403x354px) Image search: [Google]
1380770921120.png
228KB, 403x354px
>>56152185
>booming
>>
>>56152847
truth

>That way the system can look good because the real numbers never see the light.
You coulda stopped here bitterfag
>>
On topic question. I am a software developer at heart who is in more of an implementation role right now, but want to go into development. I have professional development experience, but nothing that says "this guy IS a developer," only "this guy can and has developed stuff."

At my current company I have learned a fuckton about enterprise SaaS software development and product/business strategy, and I feel I'm capable of building a product that could actually be used by and useful for big companies. However, I think the chances of me actually making money from it are slim, so I'd just use it as a portfolio piece. Now I know people say a portfolio is good, but I doubt you could just walk up to a company like IBM or Microsoft with your self made business system no matter how good and expect to land a job. So how do I turn it into something more without turning it into a company? Ideally something like open sourcing or finding a way for some companies to use it for free or for cheap or just a way to get your name out there and possibly get some references. Assuming it's truly good, how would I go about it?
>>
>>56151397
Linkedin is recruiter bait if you post with some level of experience, but for absolute entry-level you likely won't be courted so you need to take the initiative.

Basically I just use linkedin/indeed, once you grow your network you can get by on connections and you won't need those tools as much anymore.
>>
>>56153561

I just meant what were the best places to look for them
>>
>>56151397
indeed

glassdoor

dice

linkedin

angellist
>>
>>56152185
It's not.
Well I mean, minimum wage slave labour is on the rise, but mid to high level employment is seriously down.
>>
>>56152736
That's not a fucked system you nigger, that's the safeguard in place so they don't lend to autists like you who will lose it all and default.
>>
>>56153474

Haha nah dawg you're fucked like me. Unemployed 1 year now out of uni. The world is pretty cancerous how it operates. The only way in is to know people or get lucky. Especially true in Canada. Bout ready to praise Allah and bomb some fuckers. ALLAHU ACKBHAR.
>>
File: 1466754763828.png (77KB, 491x541px) Image search: [Google]
1466754763828.png
77KB, 491x541px
>could have been somebody
>had a shitty IT job when I was in college
>quit both job and school
>now have no friends, no contacts, no skills, no experience in the past three years
>not even a good enough liar to convince people I've been working when I haven't

I'm literally surplus to requirements
>>
>>56151397
Everywhere, if you're not a lazy subhuman.
>>
>>56152660
unemployment is typically defined as having not actively looked for work in 2 weeks

so while unemployment is "low", the size of the workforce is miniature
>>
>>56151397

try construction
>>
>>56154591
>having not actively looked for work in 2 weeks
>tfw you take breaks between bad interviews that are longer than that
>>
>>56154527

dis is tha prize of da red pill
>>
>>56153408

Nah. You have to break the cycle and try something different. Being in the same routine with the same mind-state will only leave you stuck there.
>>
>>56151397
>Linkedin sucks
Really? Cause I get annoyed with emails constantly from recruiters because of Linkedin. As a result I've been interviewing with Google for the past couple months.
>>
All I want to do is spread my hatred of niggers across the planet. I think I'm going to make a racist app that allows me to do this. Maybe some malware that simply pops up a Toast that says Fuck Niggers. Yea, that will be a good one.
>>
>>56151397
Write and publish good open source software

You will be approached
>>
>>56153465

this this this

It's about who you know most of the time.
>>
>>56154272
>I doubt you could just walk up to a company like IBM or Microsoft
Not with the attitude, if you have experience, professional references then use them and apply for a company like the two you mentioned. It shouldn't be difficult to at the very least get an interview.
>>
I've also been looking, I am in college but honestly don't wanna go through the trouble of finishing my cs degree.

I've got enough knowledge to pass a+ exam and i went to a vocational school (just didn't take the test to get certified)

If i lie will they know? Can i possibly fake the certifications? I'm just looking for entry level shit here.
>>
File: wow.png (68KB, 992x1856px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
68KB, 992x1856px
Idiots, all of you.
>hurr just get a job unemployment is low
Only if you keep believing the official story you dumb slaves.
>>
File: 1471183801482.jpg (174KB, 1437x908px) Image search: [Google]
1471183801482.jpg
174KB, 1437x908px
>>56154723
Thank you for truthposting.
>>
>>56154717
Just finish the degree
>>
>>56154717
As someone who didn't finish his degree and is now too old to go back, I concur with
>>56154747

While it is possible to get decent jobs without degrees, the first few years aren't paid well and old-fashioned big companies still often pay by degree.
>>
>>56154559
Can you solve the problem of

>no past experience
>references are potato friends since no experience
>anon you need x amount of experience for this potato job we need to know your not a job hopper and we can't afford to train you to make burritos if you leave

Nobody ever hires somebody with no experience, slob or not, because all of this shit is online now and you'll never get a call if your resume says "just out of high school". Honestly, they should have you include a photo or something with your app
>>
Real unemployment rate is around 10% (or worse).

> Economists look past the official unemployment rate — known as the "U-3" number — to other metrics that provide more nuanced views of the employment situation.

>The U-3 rate is defined as the "total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force," but doesn't include a number of employment situations. A broader figure is the U-6 rate, which many economists rely on as a more accurate portrayal of employment in the country.

>The U-6 rate remained unchanged at 9.7 percent in May.

>The U-6 rate is defined as all unemployed as well as "persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the labor force." That means the unemployed, the underemployed and the discouraged.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/03/charts-whats-the-real-unemployment-rate.html
>>
>>56154723
>dat pic
how do i buy food and pay rent though
>>
>>56154636
that could take years
>>
>>56154821
have you considered lying?
the solution is to lie
>>
>tfw you wish you could just go to school forever
>>
>>56154952
isnt that called grad school
>>
>>56154871
NEETs take food, shelter, and living expenses for granted. To be taken care of is an entitlement to them. They see no shame in being a parasite on their family or friends. When you try to explain the reality of their situation to them, all you'll get is denial and angry responses.
>>
>>56154990
>tfw you wish you had a few years of real work experience before grad school
>tfw you wish you had some money saved also
>tfw none of that happened
>>
>>56154821
>no past experience

Get a job where they don't need experience. These are usually very physical since a lot of people nowadays these don't like to work these kinds of jobs.

>references are potato friends since no experience

Your first job will provide you with the first reference. Fastest way to get a lot of references is to work temp jobs.

>anon you need x amount of experience for this potato job we need to know your not a job hopper and we can't afford to train you to make burritos if you leave

Those are all lies. They're not really interested in hiring you if they say that.
>>
>>56155007
if you want me to stop, then shoot me. aim for the head so its quick and painless and I won't resist.

somehow you seem to hate me but be unwilling to remove me.
>>
>>56155034
I had two years of relevant work experience and a year and a half of non-relevant work experience by the time I had graduated. Despite having a ton of interviews, I either didn't have enough experience or I was too autistic to get hired. The job market is brutal.
>>
>>56153284
No, you grow up with experience. You complain that you're bad with people, but you actively avoid it. Very few people are just naturally "good" at dealing with people, it comes from active socialization. If you want to get better at it, you have to practice.

Of course you're not going to get better at talking to people by avoiding actually doing it, and instead trying to ask people for advice or reading books or some shit.

That's partially what high school and shit was for dude. All those years you spent being an introvert? Yeah, high school was there to teach you, how to interact with people.
>>
>>56155099
not him but I got sent to a sped school for 8-12. padded room and everything. There wasn't anyone around to interact with that wasn't also mentally ill in some way
>>
>>56152185
If by "booming" you're referring to the massive auto and student loan bubbles that are on the edge of bursting, you'd be right.
>>
>Be sysadmin
>get laid off on the 5th
>find replacement job on the 10th

Yeah the job market sure sucks. I also got a pretty good raise.
>>
>>56155125
They need to meet a certain quota for special ed students or else their funding would get cut. I was placed both special ed and afterwards the GATE program despite being not fit for either when I was in elementary school.
>>
File: 06 - wtbjPwx.jpg (91KB, 469x700px) Image search: [Google]
06 - wtbjPwx.jpg
91KB, 469x700px
>>56152120
>Anonymous 08/18/16(Thu)20:48:01 No.56152120▶
lol rekt
>>
Not him, but I don't really relate to people and I don't give a shit about some stranger's day or life.
>>
>>56155474
Meant to quote >>56153417
>>
>>56153465
What if you don't have any friends and your parents don't know anyone hiring?
>>
>>56155125
yeah you're fucked buddy. Go get some neetbux, thats what they're for.
>>
>>56154424
thank you anon
>>
>>56152667
>Muh boomahs
Quit blaming your own shortcomings on something else.
>>
>>56155502
Doing the job search with no leads is hard, but it's just a matter of persistence and momentum.
Even if you're just applying to things without knowing anyone on the inside. When you get into the rythm of regularly applying to things not completely beyond your competency, slowly but surely you'll start getting interviews.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.