[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 31

File: 1470762839769.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1470762839769.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Previously on: >>56022045

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
I posted this in the other thread. Can anyone help?
>>56030604
>>
File: 1470706032163.jpg (10KB, 191x252px) Image search: [Google]
1470706032163.jpg
10KB, 191x252px
Reminder we have two threads on /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (torrents)
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097

Ported videogames (torrents)
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928

We need a thread on /vg/ for gaymers because year of the GNU/Linux desktop motherfuckers, here is the pasta
http://pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H
>>
File: 11.jpg (366KB, 800x1161px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
366KB, 800x1161px
rare stallman incoming
>>
>>56030744
Fuck off with this shit
>>
>>56030320
>Broken CrunchBang login. What do?
Can you login via the virtual terminal, or some form of recovery? Hopefully there's some way to access your files, if your #! is irreversibly broken.

I'm sure you saw the big goodbye post the #! author made where he recommended Debian as an appropriate alternative. It's pretty simple to do a minimal install and then use a WM similar to #!.
>>
i think i have breast cancer
>>
File: 1453223695199.jpg (17KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1453223695199.jpg
17KB, 500x334px
>>56030772
Friendly thread.
>>
>>56030772
I'm not that guy, but I like that he posts them. There isn't enough Linux gaming info/sources out there. Also what >>56030791 said.
>>
>>56030791
When someone posts a reminder to links which are 2 posts above his own I stop being friendly.

>>56030808
People who play games and want to talk about that do so in the threads for the games, the Linux gaming thread would only be useful as a tech-support thread, and as such has no place on /vg/ or /g/
>>
>>56030872
>implying people can't be updated when new content appears
>implying /fglt/ doesn't help each other too
>>
threadly reminder to support a libre, crowd sourced computer.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
>>
I'm looking for a new distro currently but am having trouble choosing.
I want something that isn't completely advanced like Arch but can still be customized to be very secure.
I would choose Debian but here most of the packages on there are incredibly outdated so it's making me rethink my decision.
Any other recommendations?
>>
>>56031001
just use the more up to date repos on debian, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>56031001
>completely advanced like Arch
Arch isn't more advanced than others

>can still be customized to be very secure.
Any distro should be able to do that.

>most of the packages on there are incredibly outdated
Don't use stable
>>
>>56031011
How would I go about doing that?
Sorry, I'm a complete fucking noob.
>>
>>56031001
Use Debian, edit one text file, have fresh packages just like Arch.
>>
>>56031001
openSUSE Tumbleweed is very up-to-date (more bleeding edge than Arch in some cases) while being retard proof and out of the box.

I don't use it because of the bloat but it gives you a lot of options.
>>
>>56031055
Read this web page very carefully and thoroughly: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

(basically you replace ALL instances of "jessie" with "testing" in the /etc/apt/sources.list and then 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade', but there are other things to be aware of, so you should still read that page)
>>
>>56031001
Manjaro?
>>
If someone could answer this >>56030604 it would be awesome. It's such an annoying issue.
>>
>>56030985
This is the kind of think I ask to be reminded often.

I am serious when I say you should post this on every thread.
>>
>>56030788
whats that
>>
>>56030985
>CortexA7 dual-core
What were they thinking?
>>
>>56031098
I think everyone here has seen your post, bro. I don't think it's a very common issue, so no one has a solution for you. It's probably related to a package that got updated, or a driver issue, or your hardware. But who knows? I'm just guessing.

Does it still happen when you reboot? Is it only the terminal that leaves this trailing effect? When did it start happening?
>>
How do I use an autism font with urxvt?

Downloaded the tewi font from lucy-overlay in gentoo and want to use it with urxvt

What lines do I add to ~/.Xresources?
>>
>>56031144
It's happened since I decided to use OpenBox instead of Plasma as a window manager. It was happening the moment I installed Arch which was a week ago. It happens to every window; they just leave a trail behind for a very short amount of time. Rebooting does not fix it. It also sometimes fixes itself where it doesn't happen at all, and then there are moments where it just won't stop leaving trails.
>>
File: shit.png (47KB, 360x223px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
47KB, 360x223px
>>56030584
Hello friends. What's your preferred way of backing up your system?

I'm running Debian Testing, and I'd like to be able to reinstall the entire system exactly as it is via a USB or single file in case something goes wrong. Is this possible?
>>
>>56031213
http://www.aboutdebian.com/tar-backup.htm
>>
>>56031243
forgot to mention that I use this with Gentoo and it werks,

Just make sure you don't have anything mounted tbqh
>>
>>56031205
-lucy-tewi-medium-r-normal-*-11-90-75-75-p-58-iso10646-1
>>
>>56031206
>use OpenBox instead of Plasma as a window manager.
That might be the problem
>>
>>56031243
Perfect, thanks. So just to clarify, in order to restore my system, I would do as minimal of an install as possible, and then
tar -xvpf /fullbackup.tar
to put all my files back?
>>
>>56031276
>tar
>works with more than debian
who woulda thunk it.
>>
>>56031205
xft:Tewi:pixelsize=11:antialias=false
>>
>>56031205
Make sure you have enabled bitmap fonts. Check the copypasta in the OP for how to enable them.
>>
>>56031205
>can install gentoo
>can't install a font
wut
>>
>>56031298
with gentoo I just delete everything except the folders excluded and untar it with a livecd tbqh

it's as full of a backup as possible, exclude home if you want to keep that in a different backup or don't want to delete

>>56031315
I know, right?

>>56031282
>>56031319
>>56031336
Thanks family
>>
How is Manjaro in current year? Is it more comfy than Arch? I don't want to have to "maintain" my system as I have actual work to do, but I would like to stay relatively up-to-date and have a lot of packages available to me.
>>
>>56031349
Even retards can install Gentoo
>>
>>56031350
>I just delete everything except the folders excluded and untar it with a livecd tbqh
Will do. I love that everything is a file in Lunix.
>>
>>56031402
>Lunix
what did she mean by this??
>>
>>56031385
>I don't want to have to "maintain" my system
I can't follow you, what do you mean?
>>
>>56031430
check Arch news every time I want to update my system

deal with breakage
>>
>>56031422
I just misspelled it on purpose, it doesn't mean anything, but apparently it's a real thing already: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LUnix
>>
how do i figure out which login manager im using?
>>
>>56031213
Get an external drive and set something up to clone your main one at the end of each day or whatever.

I freely admit I don't know how to do that. Something about shell scripts and polkit rules.
>>
>>56031576
Post a screenshot of it, and we can tell you?
>>
does anyone know if it's possible to enable gallium nine on a per-executable basis?
>>
>>56031385
Running pacman -Syu once a week is considered maintainence?
>>
>>56031612
I can do that in Manjaro as well.
>>
>>56031627
So what's the issue? Either try arch or fuck off.
>>
What is the most stable linux distro? And what is the cleanest windowmanager, that has the taskbar etc. on bottom?
>>
>>56031576
depends on your distribution
for debian based look in /etc/X11/default-display-manager
for RHEL / fedore
/etc/sysconfig/desktop
for suse
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
>>
>>56031438
> a just werks distribution
Can't speak to Manjaro, but any of the *buntus and Fedora are good in that capacity. Or Debian, but you have to use Testing or Sid if you want to have anything resembling a current year system.
>>
>>56031612
>>56031638
>the Arch community

Another reason not to use Arch.
>>
>>56031642
> most stable

Probably Debian Stable, but it's boring and outdated.
>>
>>56031662
I'll bite. What should I have said?
>>
>>56031662
Agreed. I was honestly shocked at how terrible the Arch community is.
>>
>>56031676
I simply asked how Manjaro was and alluded to the well-known fact that Arch isn't the most stable distribution out there. It's not my fault that you got triggered and upset.
>>
default kde is pretty ugly. what themes does /g/ use?
>>
My downloads are slower on linux any ideas on why?
>>
>>56031726
we don't use kde so we don't have that problem
>>
>>56031576
systemctl | grep .service

will list all services including your login managers service
>>
File: memjaro.png (43KB, 1508x98px) Image search: [Google]
memjaro.png
43KB, 1508x98px
>>56031712
More stable than Manjaro.
>>
>>56031746
you on wifi? linux might not have the best available drivers for your wifi card
>>
>>56031764
Is that a documented case or is that guy just making it up? That seems like it would be a major error.
>>
>>56031773
Nah on ethernet
>>
I want to give Arch Linux a shot, do I go with the regular one or try Manjaro or Antergos?
>>
>>56031875
If you have some experience with Arch Linux, then I'd say go balls deep and try straight up Arch Linux.

If you're trying Arch for the first time. My recommendation would be Antergos, it's basically an Arch Linux installer, so you get the feel of arch without having to go through the trouble of installing it for the first time. Once you're more experienced, then you can install plain Arch.
>>
>>56031875
If you want to try Arch you should start with installing Arch. You're not gonna try out Debian by installing Ubuntu either.
>>
Should I use XFCE? I am going to put ubuntu on my laptop, and would like a nice, customizable, clean windowmanager.
>>
>>56031968
XFCE is a DE, not a WM.
>>
>>56031968
If you're going for XFCE, just install Xubuntu

For what you're looking for. XFCE does sound like a good choice for you. Another decent option to look into would be Cinnamon.
>>
>>56031968
i just installed did a fresh install of xubuntu on my laptop xfce is very fast and customizable.
Would recommend
>>
>>56031789
Just using anecdotal evidence like you.
>>
>>56032052
Manjaro's reputation was murdered for the expired SSL certificate fiasco. If they were responsible for what that guy is claiming nobody would be using it anymore.
>>
>>56032088
And if Arch is as unstable as you make it out to be no one would be using it, yet it is one of the most popular distros on /g/. I goes as far to argue it's even more stable than Debian testing.
>>
Daily reminder. https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>56032127
To be fair /g/ is far from a collection of average computer users. It's a collection of tech enthusiasts, so it's to be expected that some unstable software would be supported by enthusiasts. /g/ isn't the pulse of the Linux community.
>>
>>56032156
/g/ is a collection of frogposting windows users, maybe 10% is using linux overall
>>
>buy thinkpad
>buy SSD
>install ubuntu
>get used to it
>install audacious around 5 minutes ago
>discover it has winamp theme compatibility

How can I finally be free from microsoft? The only reason I don't use thi machine all the time is because I occasionally go back to type out an essay on my old windows machine with Word.

Can usb devices be accessed from within a virtual machine? If so, I think I'll be able to switch for good.
>>
>>56032197
>Can usb devices be accessed from within a virtual machine?
Yes.
>>
>>56032127
>yet it is one of the most popular distros on /g/
monkeys following the herd
The lack of a graphical installer doesn't make a distro magically better than others, but it makes you cool.
>>
>>56032149
WTF I hate Arch now!
>>
If I map my network drive by using the system's IP address then won't that fuck up as soon as DHCP refreshes?
>>
>>56032127
it's not only popular on /g/
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/users/statistics
>>
>>56032284
WTF I hate WTF I hate %s now! now!
>>
>>56032265
>>56032293
Leave me alone.
>>
>>56032304
no
>>
>>56032293
>gamingonlinux.com
>>
>>56030584

any distributive that doesn't use any newfangled layouts, just some good old desktop/panels/dropdown start menu?

------------------------------------------------------

have been using Ubuntu quite a lot about 5..10 years ago, then they switched GUIs (from Gnome to Unity I guess - excuse inexact terms, I'm not up to date on terminology)
I didn't like that, so I switched to using Ubuntu+Gnome shell

used that for some more time
tried installing plain Ubuntu, then Ubuntu+Gnome just now (16.04 both), didn't like both

any recommendations - should I try Ubuntu MATE? Seems they stick to old ways
I considered Xubuntu/Lubuntu as well

inexperienced to mid-level user
>>
>>56032197
>word
1. you could use playonlinux, it works almost perfectly (some of the extra copy paste functionality doesn't work because nothing on linux uses that)
2. you could use something else. kile is a much better alternative IMO.

Dualbooting is a waste of time and virtual machines uses too much resources.
>>
>>56032332
>any distributive that doesn't use any newfangled layouts, just some good old desktop/panels/dropdown start menu?
for the last time DE != distribution
>>
>>56032156
Isn't the Linux community a collection of tech enthusiasts?
>>
What's with all this Linux Mint cancer? If you want an Ubuntu derived distro, go wit Bodhi or Trisquel.

Bodhi doesn't come with anything but a web browser, file manager, terminal emulator, and an image viewer if I remember correctly. It's based on stable Ubuntu LTS. It has it's own DE which I don't like, but the point of Bodhi is you generally get to build your distro from the waist up, instead of the ground up, ideally for newcomers that don't want a lot of bloat that "noob" distros add. It's community is also full of older people who have decades of experience with linux, not some underage frog poster on 4chan that uses Arch with anime wallpapers and i3.

Trisquel comes with more bloat, but it's a fully free distrobution.
>>
>>56032127
Are all Arch kiddies this sensitive?

I'm not claiming that Arch is flat out unstable, but Manjaro lags a week or two behind Arch for testing. It should theoretically be more stable. That's why I'm asking this thread about their experiences with Manjaro.
>>
>>56032335
I thought about going the wine route, but I don't know if I want to.
Doesn't enabling usage of windows programs pose a security risk?

Would I be okay on my t430 with 8gb of ram for a vm, or should I get 16gb of ram?
>>
>>56032367
>Are all Arch kiddies this sensitive?
No, just me. I'm a special snowflake.
>>
>>56032363
People go to distrowatch and pick a distro on rank 1-5. The mint hack basically made Mint even more popular, kek.
>>
>>56032367

Manjaro is a good distro. The NET install is basically a nerfed Arch for noobs. And 99% of what is on the Arch wiki applies to Manjaro.
>>
>>56032298
>triggered
>>
>>56032352
okay - I'm fairly new
so what DE should I use then, and are there any distros that include it by default?
>>
>>56032367
>but Manjaro lags a week or two behind Arch for testing
No, it get's synced 4 times a day. Where do you get those memes?
>>
>>56032399
None, you only need a WM.
>>
>>56032404
He means Manjaro stable.
>>
>>56032363
Mint is used by people who don't want to build their own system but want everything to work ootb but don't want *buntu for some reason.
>>
>>56032404
Wow, so I can essentially have Arch with the extra goodies Manjaro offers?
>>
>>56032380
I guess in the same way using java is a security risk.
You still have to make .exe files executable (like all other files you download)
But I am not sure what happens if you open a doc file with embedded malicious software, if it works and executes correctly or what happens.
I haven't tested that.
If you open a lot of word files from strangers, maybe you want to use the virtual machine, so you can clear it after every restart
>>
>>56032399

You can make a nice looking desktop with LXDE if you set the panels transparent and use modern fonts and icon packages. It's very underrated. It's being merged with QT to make LxQT but it's still in beta. You could test that.

XFCE and Cinnamon also give you a traditional Windows feel. MATE as well.

I'd personally go with LXDE or XFCE. I personally use XFCE with i3 WM.
>>
>>56032435
But it doesn't work out of the box? Check the last thread for full Mint horrors.
>>
>>56032422
No it isn't. All they do is hold packages. They can't afford to maintain SSL certificate, how can they maintain thousands of packages in two weeks?
>>
File: 1454354573464.png (709KB, 1232x908px) Image search: [Google]
1454354573464.png
709KB, 1232x908px
>>56032380
8 is enough
>>
>>56032456
What Minu users want and what they get don't have to be the same thing
>>
>>56032420

You're going to make him rage quit linux. Why would you do that? I did a NET install of Debian and somebody on here told me I only needed to install i3. So I booted up, and I didn't even have a termnial emulator. I rage quit linux and /g/ for years. Now I know better on how to install packages I want, but for a beginner, he should at least install LXDE if he wants to use a WM like i3, so he already has most of the things he needs.
>>
how do I pimp my dwm?
>>
>>56032442
Manjao does it like Debian, there are three repos:
stable, testing and unstable
The difference is, Manjaro only checks the core packages to keep everything stable, not all packages like on Debian. That's also why the packages jump faster into testing and stable.
>>56032472
You're stupid, go away.
>>
>>56032502
write the features every other wm has
>>
>>56032502
Go to their website, dl some patches, and learn C.
>>
>It's an Arch vs Manjaro thread

*grabs popcorn and gets comfy*
>>
File: linux-header.jpg (192KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
linux-header.jpg
192KB, 1920x1080px
I'm thinking about grabbing the XPS 13 9350 and putting Debian on it. Are there any compatability issues with it other than the wifi card?
>>
>>56032506
>Can't argue
>lol u stupid

What a retard
>>
>>56032488
And what has you being a failure at life to do with that other Anon?
>>
>>56032448
okay, thanks!
now, I'm new-to-midlevel user; don't want to experiment too much, just nned something that works (M$ updates rendered my Vista laptop unusable, and I was going to switch to Linux anyway...)

so the question is - I don't care for bells-and-whistles, want something that has older approach ("look and feel"), but would also want something more established, to have good driver support, forum discussions for problems that might arise, etc

will do some webdev, so the ease of Java (for IDE) and Python support would be big pluses

so, which distro would be the best? Looking at some Ubuntu MATE videos, looks good
>>
https://www.rt.com/usa/355558-linux-vulnerability-websites-attacks/

loonix btfo
>>
>>56032632
>It's over, Linus is finnish!
>>
>>56032448
PS Also, should I care about WM? Would rather have something that'd "just werk" for now, and leave experiments for later
>>
>>56032632
Dumb winbabby learn how to read. It's been fixed

>The team notes that because only version 3.6 or later of the Linux kernel has the flaw, systems running older software are not affected. They distributed a patch to fix the vulnerability, but they note a large number of individuals and networks will still be left exposed to miscreants, since the exploit only requires one unpatched party for the attack to work.
>>
>>56032630
Debian with Cinnamon sounds like a good choice.
>>
>>56032632
> lets hackers inject malware into downloads

>go to compromised website
>download malware
>my computer is broken, help
>>
>>56032488
hey, thanks for consideration!
but no worries, a single wannabe troll's not gonna stop me
>>
>>56032675
They just had to install Gentoo.
>>
File: 1457066669870.jpg (53KB, 650x596px) Image search: [Google]
1457066669870.jpg
53KB, 650x596px
Why don't people attach pictures to their posts here? This is an imageboard!
>>
>>56032656
Ignore this DE stuff. Install xmonad, it just works and is ready to extend later.
>>
>>56032726
because we don't have thumbnails in our filepickers
>>
>>56032750
Get out. This is a Linux threat, not a YLYL thread.
>>
>>56032750
XD
>>
whats the best way to share the android screen on linux (Fedora) and controlling it trough the PC.
Thanks
>>
>>56032750
THIS

When the flying shit will someone create a gtk fork that doesn't suck?!
>>
Anyone have anecdotal battery life for a T420 running Ubuntu or Mint Cinnamon?
>>
>>56032812
Get on with it
>>
>>56032667
thanks! any reason to take Debian over Ubuntu? the latter seems a bit more beginner-friendly
>>
>>56032630
Ubuntu MATE should be perfect for you. All the support you could want with a google search and MATE is really comfy.
>>
>>56032812
Someone already contributed a patch, but it's only for GTK2. (see OP pasta)
>>
>>56032847
Canonical is niggers (marketshare hungry microsoft partners, added spyware in the past).
>>
>>56032630
ubuntu m8 is great.

also use ubuntu make for easy ide/environment install.
>>
>>56032884
>>56032900
>ubuntu is gret
>ubuntu is shit
t-thanks
>>
>>56030710
It looks like GPU driver issue. What hardware are you using? AMD has shit support since xenial iirc
>>
>>56032931
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
>>
>>56032750
Well memed! 9gag/10

>>56030584
Stupid questions, but any Ubuntu net installer apart from the Lubuntu alternate install one? This one is pretty decent, letting you install any DE you want on setup, even though it's Lubuntu, but any other official one?
>>
>>56032931
honestly, do your own research with some info you get here.

some stances here are purely ideological, see /flt/ v /fglt/, i would just use what works best for me after reading up on it.
>>
Speaking of file picker memes
Is there alternatives to gtkfilechooser?
>>
>>56032863
yeah, watched some videos, looks good indeed; downloading it now

>>56032900
>use ubuntu make
looks cool, thanks! will check out
>>
>>56032931
Install any non-Unity Ubuntu derivative if you're a beginner. I'm a normie, so I just keep using Ubuntu as my daily driver, and it's great since most of my uni teachers frown upon Windows/OSX.
>>
Why use fedora over debian testing or even sid? Are there any clear advantages? I've test driven it for a couple of hours and it just felt like i replaced apt-get with dnf and everything else was the same
>>
File: 1470790819323.jpg (231KB, 1668x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1470790819323.jpg
231KB, 1668x2500px
>>56030584
Questions for Linux masters:

1) I custom-built a new PC. It has a loud chassis fan. Is there a way to slow down the fan, throttle it, with software of BIOS (I think my MoBo has UEFI)?

2) How do I remap Caps Lock to Esc key? Because fuck CAPS LOCK.

I'm using Mint FWIW.

THANKS!
>>
>>56032994
Qt one is worse

KDE fixes it. BASED KDE MASTER RACE
>>
>>56033076
Well there isn't much difference now that they've both swallowed Poettering's pickle.

I'd go with Fedora because Debian had a choice, and choose poorly.
>>
>>56033076
probably for studying for the redhat test?

i was testing fedora 24 on my desktop, and it just werks, so no point in moving if it werks.
>>
>>56033093
I tried KDE once, and it feels slower than windows.. What did I do wrong ? Is kde that bloated ?
>>
>>56033157
Yes.

Just avoid all DEs. Such to a simple WM and the terminal.
>>
>>56033157
I used KDE in a VM it was garbage. However I installed Arch/KDE on real hardware and it was smooth and efficient

>>56033175
Shut up
>>
>>56033157
>>56033175
Avoid work too. Switch to a simple bridge and the begging.
>>
>>56033192
Shan't
>>
File: conky.png (44KB, 1121x37px) Image search: [Google]
conky.png
44KB, 1121x37px
How is it possible that this shitty conky bar makes the laptop super laggy every time it updates?
>>
>>56033110
>>56033112
I did not have any driver issues and stuff worked just fine, that's true. I'll keep it around, no reason not to right now.
>>
>>56033091
>is there a way to slow down the fan, throttle it, with software of BIOS (I think my MoBo has UEFI)?
Yes

>How do I remap Caps Lock to Esc key? Because fuck CAPS LOCK.
yes

Google them, you'll find tons of results
>>
>Mono doesn't support WPF
>with winforms the display is all fucked up unless you use the shitty monodevelop program to make it
Why does Linux suck so much?
>>
>>56033251
Microsoft's fault their shit is not cross platform. You are crying in the wrong place
>>
I just did a minimal Debian netinstall with no DE because I plan on installing i3. I can't really do anything. I don't even have sudo, and because my laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port, I don't know how to connect to WiFi. Can someone help me? Also, does anyone have any general tips for what I should do/install?
>>
>>56033268
ncmpcpp
mutt
>>
>Arch is about bleeding edge packages. Expect breakage. KISS. If you don't agree with The Arch Way and bleeding edge then Arch isn't for you ;) (smug face) (haha look how advanced and intelligent I am for using Arch!)
>"Then why is Arch not using the latest kernel?"
>Pushing the newest kernel isn't smart. Things tend to break and I agree with what the Arch devs are doing. KISS. The Arch Way! If you don't like it then get out

Is there a worse Linux community?
>>
>>56033323
What I've never understood. Is this: How is common breakage of packages keeping it simple?
>>
File: 1448134312211.gif (218KB, 390x400px) Image search: [Google]
1448134312211.gif
218KB, 390x400px
>>56033233
Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.
>>
File: 1372038985491.jpg (228KB, 1100x914px) Image search: [Google]
1372038985491.jpg
228KB, 1100x914px
>>56033346
>Manjaro stable is on Linux 4.7
>""""Bleeding edge"""" Arch is stuck on 4.6
>>
>>56033323
>Then why is Arch not using the latest kernel?
Arch has both 4.7 and 4.8-rc. Stop crying about what others use and don't try to raise a shitstorm faggot
>>
> close laptop
> appears to go to suspend
> open it again
> black screen
> won't come back
> have to reboot

Why? Kernel 4.6.5.
>>
whats good about openbox over something like xfwm4?
>>
>>56033323
What invokes your chronic autism? People's choice of distro? Haven't you got anything better to do with your miserable life?
>>
>>56033393
>>56033410
Hey Arch users. I thought Arch was supposed to be bleeding edge? You idiots never shut the fuck up about how edgy you are.
>>
>>56033430
The one bitching and moaning is actually you, mouthbreathing retard
>>
>>56033213
Nvm found out myself. Apparently measuring the cpu temp eats up like 50% of cpu each iteration :/
>>
The only problem I have with Arch is that it forces systemd up your ass.
>>56033346
You should read up the word "simple". The Arch user looks up if something may break himself, he also checks what he installs via the AUR and he installes his distro himself. Everything without additional, retard-friendly bloat.
>>
>>56033470
>The Arch user looks up if something may break himself, he also checks what he installs via the AUR and he installes his distro himself.
In a perfect world, yes. 90% of stupid questions in this thread are arch users who can't even look up a solution in the wiki themselves.
>>
>>56033503
That's because Arch is one of the most popular distros in /g/? Isn't that obvious?
>>
>>56033392
arch is on 4.7
>>
>>56033470
>Everything without additional, retard-friendly bloat.

Yet pacman attempts to install every dependency under the sun when I just want simple functionality from my software. I don't know why Firefox requires wayland as a dependency when I don't use wayland.
>>
>>56033503
Most stupid questions fall under the category of "Which distro should I use?"
>>
>>56033470
>Everything without additional, retard-friendly bloat.
Like systemd?
>>
>>56033578
>init system is a bloat
so 1337
>>
>>56033596
Read this: http://suckless.org/sucks/systemd
>>
>>56033548
about fucking time
>>
>>56033608
Read this
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
>>
>>56033550
Could someone explain this to me?

Does KISS refer to choice and minimalism? Does it refer to retard-proofing everything with unneeded packages? Does it refer to keeping it easy for lazy devs? Which is it?
>>
>>56033404
there could be many, MANY reasons...
what graphics drivers?
>>
>>56033550
>Yet pacman attempts to install every dependency under the sun
Wrong. Also, even if it did it's would be the fault of repo maintainers.

Newfag
>>
>>56033647
Yes, I'm sure Lennart will be completely honest about something he wrote
>>
File: capture.png (9KB, 657x138px) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
9KB, 657x138px
>>56033647
I don't really care about all the other incorrect bullshit on that page, but this shit is the tits. You won't even be able to fucking run a desktop environment in a couple years because it will be so ingrained in systemdicks.
>>
File: 1470793268865.jpg (20KB, 329x357px) Image search: [Google]
1470793268865.jpg
20KB, 329x357px
>that awkward moment when you realize you don't need an adblocker anymore, because the only site you actually truly visit is 4chan

browser launches so quick suddenly
>>
>>56033683
>Wrong

Again, why was it trying to install wayland packages when I don't use wayland?

Why are repo maintainers allowed to do this? Do the Arch devs have no control over this?
>>
>>56033678
Intel HD graphics 5500.

Kernel module in use is i915.
>>
>>56033719
What, afraid of standardised systems?
>>
>>56033910
Enjoy your Windows registry replacing /etc.
>>
>>56033754
Because people are moving to wayland, many DE and browsers actually use some wayland libraries for complete functionality.
>>
>>56033970
>registry
disgusting

Glad I use MemenRC
>>
>>56033970
Wat
>>
>>56033982
Great, and when Wayland becomes usable and I decide to use it then software I install can include Wayland support.

But I'm not using Wayland. It's just taking up space on my disk.
>>
File: ?.png (7KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
7KB, 120x120px
where do you guys listen music?

do you save them in your computer or listen on youtube/ spotify?
>>
File: wewlad.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
>>56034118
I could make an install gentoo joke
but gentoo doesn't have to deal with problems like that because of USE flags
>>
>>56034198
all of the above actually.

not an ardent floss advocate, so i'm not listening to ogg files on emacs or anything like that.
>>
>>56034198
I save them in my server
>>
>>56034241
ogg files are the shit though
super small file size and since i'm not an autist I don't hear the difference
>>
>>56034241
which songs do you save on your computer?
any criteria?
>>
>>56034274
not really, just what i like and will be listening to. otherwise ok looking it up on yt and playing mpv, or on spotify.

>>56034267
ah, you know what i meant by that. they are nice if you need the space, but too lazy to convert my shit over.
>>
>>56033552
I don't think "which distro?" is a dumb question, it's just an incredibly common one so it comes off as dumb after you see it so often.
>>
>>56034521
I wonder if /o/ gets a thousand threads a day with just 'what car should i buy?'
>>
File: america.gif (2MB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
america.gif
2MB, 640x492px
Just installed and my 980ti doesnt work with neuevo or whatever the open source drivers are called.

Tried this couple days ago and fucked it up somehow. Linux doesnt even have straight closed source drivers I have to install manually.

Last time I added the nvidia repo and got the newest drivers then I blacklisted a bunch of stuff.

Couldnt get it to give me a screen after that. It didnt like having the card installed either. Got hung.

So now I have a fresh copy what is the best practice for this?Usually I at least have closed source drivers to enable through additional drivers/ Have nothing now.
>>
>>56030584

Recently I had a power outage in my computer room. The computer has been having problems since. First of all, my computer started only displaying Fedora 24 booting then the signal would cut off while my computer stayed on.

I tried my 750 Ti but every kernel would boot into Terminal and that was it.

So I Reinstalled Fedora 24 using my 970 and it worked. I had to reboot my computer to install an update, but after the reboot my computer started voting and lost signal. I gave up and used OpenSUSE instead. Yet when I click install it loses signal.

Is this a motherboard, monitor, GPU, cpu or PSU problem? My computer doesn't turn off - i can leave it on all night and it won't turn off itself. But it keeps losing signal.

Please help
>>
> laptop crashes when I try to suspend
> Tried three different kernel versions, none work

Could KDE have something to do with this? Or systemd? It was suspending fine this morning, I didn't change anything.
>>
In the terminal, how would I make a backup of a folder to a external drive?

I think that I would use cp folder but how do I give the destination?
>>
>>56034676
cp (source) (destination)
>>
>>56034676
man cp check the page

its cp <current location> <new location> btw.

Also where you drop it stop at the folder and use a period. Like this cp ~/file.txt ~/new_place/.
>>
>>56034640
No
>>
>>56034676
rsync
>>
>>56034591

Well I just added the ppa for nvidia and installed the 367 driver. Might just do that and not blacklist to see what happens.
>>
>>56034640
sounds like user error to me
>>
>>56034780
>Also where you drop it stop at the folder and use a period.
The fuck?
>>
>>56031456
Bookmarked.
>>
File: 1470748368255.jpg (2KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1470748368255.jpg
2KB, 126x126px
how do you guys organize your porn?
>>
>>56032197
>discover it has winamp theme compatibility
Don't forget the original skin is available for Audacious http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Winamp+Classic+skin+for+Audacious?content=135799
>>
>>56035067
Name of the slut.
>>
>>56034910

Well I shutdown put the card in and now I amd still running off onboard graphics but at least the ubuntu/gnome did not lock up.

What should I do? Now that the card is in maybe unistall the driver and reinstall it? Should I just reboot and uplug the screen from the onboard port?

Should I blacklist nouveau?
>>
>>56035088
>>56035067

This but I have terribytes with shit names. I dont supose there is software that identify the scene? And then name it for you?
>>
>>56035136
That needs to be written.
>>
How to automount and make persistent connection to ssh server? sshfs? autofs? with fstab?
>>
>>56035067
Very very poorly
>>
File: 1451171794034.jpg (4KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1451171794034.jpg
4KB, 160x160px
>>56030584
What's the best tool for creating Linux images? I've heard mixed opinions on Clonezilla. I'm looking for something semi-straightforward, just gonna build my next desktop environment in a VM before I move it to my main machine so all it needs is an option for generalization (if linux even needs that?).
>>
>>56035181
I don't understand your question.
>>
>>56035067
i don't
>>
>>56035036
Why do people feel the need to remove the word "slave" from code nowadays?

It's literally just a word in coding
>>
>>56035181
gnome-disks, but only have used it for raspberry pi images, so ymmv
>>
>>56035279
have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>56035332
Yep
I vaguely remember something about feminism and firefox or something, but that's about it
>>
>>56035279
You also have master and slave boilers.
>>
>>56035036
Dropped. I guess it's back to Windows where these things don't exist.
>>
File: ParalleltoUSB.jpg (113KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ParalleltoUSB.jpg
113KB, 500x375px
>>56035233
Like disk imaging, you know where you capture a systems configuration to install on other computers.
>>
>>56032933
And foss drivers are pretty damn good.
>>
>>56035036
Any loonix alternatives to mpv?
SMplayer perhaps?
>>
How the fuck do I disable the webcam on my thinkpad t420?

I've blacklisted the uvcvideo module in /etc/modprobe.d and did rmmod uvcvideo but it still shows up when I do lsusb. The fuck?
>>
>>56035570
Don't be an idiot. mpv is the best player around.
>>
Have been using Lubuntu for about a year now and I'm getting bored with it. I've tried about 9 distros over the past week on live USB drives, and have narrowed my choice down to Manjaro. I really like bspWM and JWM. Which one should I go for? I mostly program in Eclipse and play CS:GO or Minecraft occasionally.
>>
>>56035422
so long anon, save yourself while you can
>>
>>56035585
bios?
>>
>>56035611
option not there
>>
>>56035640
rip it out then.

next question
>>
>>56035590
don't want it now because muh sjws
If you don't enable their behavior they'll die off eventually
>>
>>56035344
Most of western culture has been invaded by so called "Social Justice Warriors" AKA SJWs, who are overly sensitive about everything to the point of ruining it with their horrible logic
>>
>>56035668
pls just help disable it

How can it still appear if i blacklisted uvcvideo
>>
>>56035463
>Like disk imaging, you know where you capture a systems configuration to install on other computers.
you can copy the whole disk with dd, send it through the network and dd it back to a new computer
remember this: in linux, (almost) everything is a file
>>
First post on /g/, so let me know if this is written down anywhere, but I'm interested in dual-booting my PC with Win7 and some Linux distro, but I'm unsure of which I should go with. I'd primarily just be using it for Ruby/Rails and programming in general, so I would probably want something that's pretty basic, but not so basic that I can't do the basic stuff. Which should I go with?
>>
>>56035891
;^)
>>
>>56035891
Fedora or some version of *buntu besides the default one

Just remember that if you choose Fedora people will constantly make *tips fedora* jokes instead of answering your questions
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sddefault.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
Somebody just fucking reverse engineer Red Star OS so we can have that look.
>>
>>56035891
>>56035917
Really though all you need is a basic distro that's stable

Fedora, OpenSUSE, and the *buntus are the best for that
>>
Is Gentoo really all that great? I've been using Arch for about a year now, but I'm getting tired of all the shit it gives me. Also, how long does it take to install Gentoo? Is the wiki guide good? Would emerging take a long time on an i5-4690k oc to 4.6GHZ?
>>
>>56035891
In the OP there's http://fglt.nl/guides/picking-a-distro.html

I'd say it's accurate, but do not pick Mint, everything else is fine. You can do any type of programming on any distro.
>>
>>56035934
too hard to get rid of the best korea botnet

just help the designers defect instead
>>
>>56035939
What kind of problems have you been having in Arch?
>>
File: 1470937864537.png (170KB, 403x393px) Image search: [Google]
1470937864537.png
170KB, 403x393px
I'm trying to really like Linux and for most things, I do.

But god dammit I can't stand this "GTK File Picker". It's just fucking terrible and pales in comparison to Windows' own file picker in every way. Forced List view with tiny as fuck thumbnails ( that sometimes don't even generate ) is retarded.

Is there any way to change it so its not shit?
Why can't you just use your file manager of choice for file picking as well?
>>
>>56035592
bspWM is a nice tiling window manager. JWM doesn't know if it wants to be a tiling or floating manager. I never liked it, but it's very lightweight.
>>
File: 1464666210419.jpg (40KB, 618x459px) Image search: [Google]
1464666210419.jpg
40KB, 618x459px
>>56035951
Can I go in parachute for their rescue?

Just fucking reverse engineer that thing.
>>
>>56035917
>>56035936
>>56035946
thanks a bunch
>>
>>56035939
I've installed Gentoo many times, and it takes some time getting used too, but I'd say it's better

USE flags are pretty based, but you might get a program that's missing a feature if the USE flags aren't configured properly

And it's nice to easily choose what programs get unstable updates and which do not, by editing some config files, or just using porthole (The GUI version of portage)

really though your mileage may vary, suggest testing it out in a VM, or using Calculate Linux, which is the Antergos of Gentoo
>>
>>56035952
Xorg keeps fucking up on me, without me touching it. I have a feeling that I may be doing something wrong without knowing though, so it probably isn't Arch's fault.
>>
>>56035975
Don't go for Fedora, is a buggy piece of shit.
>>
>>56035999
My experiences with lememehat distro were pretty great, had all the drivers I needed, and never really encountered a problem

What was bad about Fedora for you?
>>
>>56036037
Besides rpm hell and crashing all software? Oh yes, the memes, and don't bother thinking I don't know about yum.
>>
>>56036052
Alrighty then
Only used Fedora for about 6 months before switching to Xubuntu, so I don't know everything about it
>>
>>56036078
Remember, if you plan on using rpm go for CentOS or RHEL.
>>
>>56035939
>Is Gentoo really all that great?
Yes.

>how long does it take to install Gentoo?
I did it on and off, and finished with a system I could log in and do normal stuff in three days. Obviously it was not installing the whole time.

>Is the wiki guide good?
Yes, it even has a lesson of ip addresses. But configuring the kernel takes a lot of time, and solely depends on what you want and your hardware, so it can't hand-hold you though the entire process. Remember you can recompile your kernel very fast. You can also use genkernel though, as the wiki suggests.

>Would emerging take a long time on an i5-4690k oc to 4.6GHZ?
I have i3-6100 and it's not that bad. My longest merge (download, compiling and installing) times are pypy, on 50 minutes, and ghc on 45 minutes. My average merge time is 43 seconds.

My advice is to install it from Arch instead of the live cd. That means you can do other stuff on your computer while it's compiling. Which is nice when you only have one computer.
>>
980ti is not covered by the nouveu open source linux drivers. I am having a pain in the ass of a time getting a 16.04 gnome/ubuntu machine up.

Is there some way to change the live cd? Add a driver to it or blacklist nouveu or something? Any distros that work with it? Right now I tried installed with a 390x and then installing the nvidia drivers. I blacklist nouveu and switched cards. But when I bring the machine up it locks up right before letting me decrypt the hard drive. If I could get passed this at least I could get a terminal.
>>
What are the benefits of using opensuse over something like arch or fedora? Ubuntu's packages are too out of date for me but I don't want complete instability either
>>
Guys, if you want an image editor faster and quicker than GIMP, use either RawTherapee or darktable. You won't regret.
>>
>>56031642
>stable
the latest slackware
>>
>>56036181
>tfw I can't choose between Arch and Gentoo

Arch is easier but has incredible amounts of bloat that its fanboys refuse to acknowledge for whatever reason.

Do you run Gentoo with or without systemd? If without systemd then why not Funtoo?
>>
>>56035965
Dolphin.
>>
>>56036282
>Gentoo vs Funtoo
Gentoo has a larger community that can help greatly and all you need to do to get rid of systemd completely is devote a few extra minutes adding "-systemd" to your make.conf and masking two packages in package.mask

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Without_systemd

Plus I like the logo for Gentoo more tbqh
>>
I'm trying to manually mount my external drive. Should I create a folder inside my /home/? Archwiki is telling me to create a folder in /mnt/.
>>
>>56036282
Really though the differences between Gentoo and Funtoo are so minimal now it's nonexistent
>>
well after fucking with ubuntu 16.04 for two hours I have figured out that I cant get into ubuntu with my 980ti running drivers and everything all three screens through display port if I get into recovery mode then boot into normal mode.

Otherwise I lock at the disk decryption page.

Anyone know why?
>>
>>56036326
Not him but thanks for that.
>>
New T420 just arrived today;

Debian sid V Fedora 24?

The DE will be KDE
>>
>>56036282
I don't use systemd, but using Gentoo doesn't mean you necessarily hate it. You have the choice to use it.

I don't really know enough about Funtoo to switch. The limit of my knowledge of differences is that it's led by Daniel Robbins, it uses git to sync the portage tree by default and uses debian-sources as the default kernel.

Masking systemd packages and adding -systemd to your use flags is unnecessary, but you can do it if it makes you feel safer.
>>
>>56036326
>tfw choosing a distro based on the screefetch aesthetics

fuuuarkk
>>
Hey boyz, have you tried blackarch tools?
I wanted to add repo but i get
warning: database file for 'blackarch' does not exist
>>
>>56036492
>blackarch
3edgy5me
such 1337
much h4ck3r
>>
>>56036404
Fedora, even Debian unstable doesn't have up to date packages and lacklustre security
>>
>>56036506
:DDDD
>>
>>56036216
you can add blacklist stuff to the grub boot entry while booting
>>
Is there an equivalent of
apt-file search file
for dnf (or yum)? It's basically a command that searches the repositories for a package that contains the file. Web search gives me nothing.
>>
>>56036488
I know that feel
Want to download exherbo for the autism cow logo, but can't until the developers stop being autistic
>>
File: 1468621717811.png (765KB, 698x840px) Image search: [Google]
1468621717811.png
765KB, 698x840px
So browsing /fglt/ threads lately and some people talk about how you should always check the packages on AUR before downloading them. As a newfag who installed arch only a week ago, came from using windows for pretty much my entire life and have had no package issues whatsoever, what percautions should I be taking?

One more thing: How often should I be doing this?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance

Also the Arch wiki mentions backing up before upgrading or editing config files. Is it completely essential?
>>
Which distro has the best logo?
>>
>>56036704
Arch is for advanced users.
>>
File: Autism Cow.png (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Cow.png
27KB, 200x200px
>>56036709
>>
>>56036704
dumb weeaboo
>>
>>56036404
Fedora 24
>>
File: 1467622521922.png (54KB, 568x542px) Image search: [Google]
1467622521922.png
54KB, 568x542px
>>56036709
>>
>>56036704
archkiddies everyone
>>
>>56036728
I fell for the meme, but Arch is doing great for me right now. I have a desktop setup that I like and games run on it well. Should I wait to fuck up or should I be taking precautions right now?

>>56036747
this is a friendly thread faggot
>>
->
-> >>56036804
->
>>
File: SMEAGOL_NOT_DEAD.png (16KB, 327x192px) Image search: [Google]
SMEAGOL_NOT_DEAD.png
16KB, 327x192px
>>56036709
>>
>>56036704
>maintanence
You need to pacman -Syyu atleast once a week, check the front page for new things that require manual interventsion. That's it.
>>
>>56036788
What?
>>
>>56030777
There was nothing really of value on the PC anyway. The most interesting things were some uncommon pepes and some schematics that I already have had saved on an other computer.

None of the solutions that I have tried have worked, so I'm probably just going to format the drive and install some other distro
>>
>>56034198
>listen on youtube/ spotify?
Stallman does not supports Spotify. It has DRM and violate the user privacy.
>>
>>56035972
>Can I go in parachute for their rescue?
How would you get out of the country after "rescuing" them? Using the parachute? Who said they want to be rescued? They are on Best Korea!
>>
>>56035934
>reverse engineer
Interesting, Communism/Linux is proprietary!
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.