[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain What The Appeal of Linux Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: Operating Systems.jpg (94KB, 694x599px) Image search: [Google]
Operating Systems.jpg
94KB, 694x599px
Is it just the feeling of unwarranted self-importance achieved from the >>>/diy/ aspect of it?
Because to me the interface just looks like an uglier version of OS X.
>>
I don't have to fight with my operating system to disable unwanted updates.

That alone makes it infinitely better than fucking windows.
>>
>>55861135
lets you be a nonconformsit edgelord

otherwise there is literally no practical reason to use linux over windows
>>
everything you want and nothing you dont opposed to some things you want, a bunch of things you'll never use, a bunch of things you dont want, and a bunch of things you can't get rid of
>>
>>55861181
>I don't have to fight with my operating system to disable unwanted updates
That's only a problem if you were stupid enough to get Windows 8/8.1
>>
>>55861202
(.005 poos have been deposited in your loo)
>>
>>55861211
>"everything you want"
>has nothing
You Buddhist?
>>
>>55861135
>the interface
which interface?
>>
>>55861223
he means gentoo
>>
>>55861238
Practically all, but for example Ubuntu
>>
>>55861212
So he should have stayed on Windows 7 with it being more and more outdated and unsupported?
>>
>>55861247
Ubuntu is not an interface
>>
>>55861247
you can literally make it look like windows/osx/whatever you want though
>>
>>55861202
Better performance, highly customizable, open shell/kernel, less susceptible to viruses and malware, can still run windows applications with WINE.

Id say its alot better
>>
>>55861135
your entire operating system doesn't crash when a program crashes
>>
>>55861269
>>55861238
That was exactly my point. "Which interface?" was a rhetorical question. The way the user interface looks is very far away from the point of linux.

Assuming there's a shred of sincerity in this thread, what people like about linux is that it's free and it's an extremely comfy setup for certain types of development and for running servers.
>>
>>55861266
Yes
>>
>>55861212
Ignorance is bliss isn't it? By unwanted updates he probably meant adware and telemetry updates which microsoft pushed both into 7 and 8/8.1. Don't get me started on 10 on which probably every update is unwanted.
>>
>>55861322
>it's an extremely comfy setup for certain types of development and for running servers.
Please elaborate
>>
I have a poorfag laptop. Windows eats a lot of my ram. But my linux and xfce setup just uses ~250 mb of ram when idle.
When I am not doing anything with my computer, my laptops fans just turn off. But when on Windows, it's working all the time.
Elantech touchpad drivers for Windows are shitty and doesn't feel good using. Linux synaptics drivers are just too comfy.
>>
>>55861360
Within minutes of OS installation, I can use a package manager to install databases, interpreters for interpreted programming languages if needed, and various frameworks, clone some repositories and have a web server up and running before I'd be done fiddling with installing motherboard or graphics drivers on Windows.
>>
What appeal? They do what they do. "Ubuntu" is an african word and means "stand together" or something like that. Only 2% of world's comps run Linux and this is the fact. The comp I use is created for XP/Vista, but not for modern Internet. Linux is for Internet users, not for gamers. As I know Ubuntu has a special distro for gamers.
>>
>>55861135
if you need to ask you don't need it
>>
File: load on Fedora 21 .png (393KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
load on Fedora 21 .png
393KB, 1024x768px
Interface? I use Gnome2. Gnome 3/4 are more pretty, but overload my processor.
>>
>>55861135
Lurk more before posting retard
>>
>>55862981
>Only 2% of world's comps run Linux and this is the fact
Only someone on /g/ would think that
>user-agent statistics equal actual usage
>embedded devices with general purpose CPUs (such as mobile phones) aren't computers
>servers aren't computers
>>
>>55862981
It's also a fact that all computer illiterate people use Windows.
>>
>>55861135
It's no "appeal", I've been using Linux for more than 10 years now, and by now it's the OS I'm most proficient in, I know its in and outs, I know how to fix things, I know how to configure things, I know how it works.

Also, it's the OS I use at work, which is a bonus.
>>
>>55863649
>being russian

CRIMEA IS UKRAINE, FILTHY SUBHUMAN SCUM
>>
>>55861211
Let me know when muh games are available on linux, because literally none of my favourites are.
>everything you want
Except fun
>>
none really
i can run a server off windows fine
play games on it. rice it as much as I please with regedit.
>>
>>55863811
Many people have their prefered games on Steam ports. If you want a gaming machine I highly suggest you buy a toy called PS4 or some shit
>>
>>55861420
I haven't installed a driver manually on windows since about 2010.
>>
>>55863745
>All idiots use lungs, therefore lungs are idiotic.
>>
>>55863823
I have a PS4 as well. Is Deus Ex: Human Revolution on PS4? How about Linux? No, and no.
>>
>>55863789
It's so obvious that you aren't Slav that it hurts. All Slavs are brothers despite the US attempts to make us go against each other
>>
>>55863727
I know it exactly. "Windows" gives media codecs and DirectX to play music, video and games. Touchphones mostly run "Android", but not "WinMobile" and "IOS", because I repeat - Linux or Android is for Internet users .
>>
>>55863849
>Deus Ex: Human Revolution
It's a shit game anyway, KYS for having such poor taste
>>
>>55863857
>muh media codecs
What codec isn't available on Linux in 2016? What codec is ffmpeg unable to transcode into something that is supported?

Only if you use a freetard distro would that be a problem.
>>
>>55863836
Don't get mad though, higher IQ is not a common thing, you shouldn't justify having low IQ
>>
>>55863849
I don't know if grown ups are so picky about these childish play though
>>
>>55863898
speak english faggot
>>
God, who cares? If you like to play games, use Windows. Its proprietary nature is exactly what makes it so widely used. You're not going to find Linux computers if you walk into your local Best Buy or Walmart, so you won't find modern, big-budget games on Linux. That doesn't make Linux bad. The small market share is irrelevant because the users tend to be more active in the community. It's used for its simplicity, its small footprint, and its availability (hardware compatibility, free and open-source nature, and software packages that are readily available).

Do whatever you want.
>>
File: upload3096.jpg (45KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
upload3096.jpg
45KB, 604x453px
It's easier in "Windows" to use media content, easier.
>>
File: player.jpg (315KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
player.jpg
315KB, 1024x768px
>>55863871
Transcoding to OGG takes time.
>>
>>55864023

>potable
>>
>>55864023
Why would you transcode TO OGG? Also, that wasn't my question.
>>
>>55864023
>[Play]
>3149 scratches
>>
>>55861135
awesome scriptability
nice command line
open source
customizable
package manager
doesn't spy on you
>>
File: 2_cute.jpg (28KB, 74x75px) Image search: [Google]
2_cute.jpg
28KB, 74x75px
>>55863985
That is one Grade A cat picture you posted there.
>>
>>55864093
kvm / xen
ext4 >>> ntfs and better filesystem in general
better networking
mostly standardized filesystem hierarchy where every file has its place
ld_preload
>>
>>55864142
fun fuse stuff (torrent-mount, sshfs)
package manager makes installing security updates for everything really easy
iptables
>>
>>55864208
better security in general
>>
>>55863829
Because you're still using 2010 hardware
>>
>>55864066
Because players in free Linux distroes don't play MP3, MP4, AVI, VOB. These codecs are for money.
>>
>>55861135
Linux still to this day suffers from tearing on my card. Windows does not. Until Wayland appears, I just can't use Linux.
>>
>>55861135
>Explain What The Appeal of Linux Is
It actually does what you tell it to
>>
File: Funny_Pig.jpg (15KB, 372x233px) Image search: [Google]
Funny_Pig.jpg
15KB, 372x233px
>>55863789
I know it, nazi.
>>
>people still think Linux has a GUI
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.