[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Powering 4 LED strips + Controller

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: SKU127209t(1)[1].jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
SKU127209t(1)[1].jpg
133KB, 600x600px
So I'm great with computers, work in IT and all that but this electrical stuff is just not making sense to me. This is why I'm not an engineer.

So I need to get about 17.4 metres (57") of led strips setup and with a wireless controller. I've found these cheap Chinese ones which look like they'll be good enough, but I don't get what kind of power I need for them.

I guess I just need to multiply the wattage by 4? That would be 240w and so I just get a 240w power supply? And what kind of wiring do I need to do to get this kind of supply working?

Will connecting 4 of these together even work in the first place and all be controllable by the one remote? Is there any other parts I'm missing? I'm completely out of my element here.

Strips: http://www.banggood.com/5M-RGB-Non-Waterproof-300-LED-SMD-5050-LED-Strip-Light-DC-12V-p-925678.html

Controller: http://www.banggood.com/Wireless-Dimmer-Touch-Panel-Controller-RF-Remote-For-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-DC12-24V-p-1050313.html

Power Supply: http://www.banggood.com/240W-110-220V-to-12V-20A-Switching-Power-Supply-For-Strip-Light-p-73834.html
>>
>>55793258
>>>/diy/
/g/ knows nothing about technology
>>
Last time i tried doing exactly that, i broke my led strips.. and then bought philips hue like fucking casual piece of shit that i am
>>
>>55793532
>i broke my led strips
Our only real skill here is being able to google. You couldn't google how to use LEDs? That's fucking sad.
>>
>>55793532

If I was doing one bulb then sure, going the plug-n-play way would be way easier, but I'm going for 57" of this shit. If there was a pre-made version (that's not fucking expensive) then sure, I'd go for that.
>>
>>55793574
well, just being able to use is not the case, i wanted to controll them through wifi with my raspberry pi
>>
>>55793687
Makes no difference. You google pin-out specs and google fucking resistance calculators and google the simplest of electrical engineering equations if you're that far behind. LEDs with RPi is probably the most common use of BOTH LEDs and RPi these days, which means absolutely shitloads of information and "tutorials" available.
>>
>>55793258

You need rgb repeaters, 1 per 15m of strip, 10A power supply for each 15m
>>
>>55794375
If he's only using 18m, shouldn't he put the controller in the center and 9m in each direction to avoid repeaters?
>>
>>55794429

You are loading the controller and that you don´t want to do, but certainly, putting the controller in the middle solves the voltage drop, at least partially (the strip´s pcb are pretty damn thin = lot of resistance = voltage drop?

The controller should in theory be able to support 6 strips of 5m each, but I just don´t trust the chinese and their ratings.
>>
File: IMG_20160728_121133.jpg (1023KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_121133.jpg
1023KB, 3024x4032px
>>55793258
The wattage on the led strips is bollocks, my 10m take about 50W on max, and this is with wall watt meter - including all losses in PSU
>>
File: IMG_20160728_121422.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_121422.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>55795046
Actually, I think I have more like 15m.
Also, DIY controllers for lyfe. ESP8266 and you have got yourself internet connected LEDs.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.