[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When do most CS graduates end up working? As programmers? Same

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_mpom23ODqH1qmm8t3o1_500.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpom23ODqH1qmm8t3o1_500.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
When do most CS graduates end up working? As programmers? Same as software engineering grads, informaticians and people who taught themselves? This seems to be a case but I'm not aware of the numbers.
>>
>>55717477
>>>/biz/
>>
>>55717501
Kek how is this for biz? Surely not all of you are neets?
>>
Post more of the qt
>>
File: who_chav.jpg (100KB, 438x810px) Image search: [Google]
who_chav.jpg
100KB, 438x810px
>implying /g/ was ever useful outside of generating memes
>>
>>55717477

Dude you need to get your shit straight.

Most CS graduates end up working as programmers, yes. There is more to computer science than programming, eg. research, hardware design, and so on, but most jobs are in programming.

Software engineering grads obviously will be programmers mostly, that's like the whole point of that major. I don't know what they teach but I guess it's like CS but more specialized in programming.

"Informaticians" can mean two things, IT as in tech support, maintenance and stuff like that, which is a whole different thing that computer science (people in those jobs can't program), but 'informatics' is also another word for CS in many european countries, if you mean the latter then yes "informaticians" are mostly programmers.
>>
>>55718072

I want to generate a boner and put it inside her.
>>
>>55717477
>When do most CS graduates end up working?
they don't
>>
>>55718462
The CS industry is basically all powerful unless you are from india or something
>>
>>55717477
GLASS EYED CUNT
>>
>>55718487
>The CS industry is basically all powerful unless
sure whatever
maybe you could have pulled that meme off a decade ago
>>
>>55717477
McDonald's.
>>
>>55718503
>>55718521

guys there are programming jobs everywhere for fucks sake, just take one.
>>
>>55718574
>programming jobs
mopping floors pays about the same
>>
>>55718595
where are you from m8?
>>
>>55718072
those tits are fantastic
>>
>>55718618
same stands true anywhere unless you're graduating from a top institution or have a secure spot in a good paying niche by some miracle

CS has been a saturated garbage field synonymous with the 50K/year codemonkey for a long time now. It's basically for those that can't into a real STEM degree at this point. CS was a useful degree when the computing industry was young and a the abstraction level was low.
>>
>>55718726
>miracle
nepotism. it is called nepotism.
>>
>>55718574
programming jobs? sure
programming jobs with actual salaries? Good luck!
>>
>>55718744
well what I considered the miracle is someone that actually knows what they are doing and has a clear focus on a high paying niche that is not saturated. That's close to a miracle
>>
>mfw my cs has literally 100K starting after graduating a year early
where the fuck do you guys go to school
>>
>>55719396
cs friend*
>>
>>55717477
>When do most CS graduates end up working?

you mean you didn't take CS so that you could write gnu software for free?

i don't think it works that way
>>
I work as a sysadmin at a large datacenter.

I studied CS at University of Washington, Seattle Campus.

Some of my peers from school are programming and make alright money, but they consistently say they rather be doing what I do. Programming can get dull overtime, it's not as glorious as what /g/ makes it out to be. Every shift at the NOC for me is different.
>>
>major CS
>minor Wimin studies
>sex change operation
>neon red hair paint and facial piercings
>latest macbook pro with top specs

Literally 200K starting anywhere I want
HR drools for me every time
>>
>>55719483
do you stand out at your workplace with a CS degree or is it common for sysadmins to be coming in from that academic route (as opposed to those doing IT/MIS)
>>
>>55718726

I got 60K right out of college unless your a europoor or have no job experience you are going to start at 60k which is a standard engineer salary everywhere that isnt new york or the california.
>>
>>55719540
>I got 60K right out of college
you went to college to start with 60K? What a waste of time
>>
>>55719536

I do sysadmin (devops) / pentesting / security assessment stuff with a CS degree. Pays pretty well. If you can use the current meme webdev tech thats where the developer money is though. Get good with docker, aws, react and you will make the same as me.
>>
>>55719555

Most places aren't willing to drop a ton of money for a starting salary but promote you pretty quick. Having a degree is useful if you want to get your MBA later which is what I want to do.
>>
>>55719575
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Do you feel like the market is moving too fast for sysadmin work? Are you constantly trying to keep up with learning the newest flavor of the month meemware?
>>
>>55718216
>SE end up as programmers

Every software engineering friend I had in college spent two years as a programmer and now manage teams of CS grads making double their salary.

t. A fucking CS grad that didn't ask for this life
>>
>>55719536

Being a sysadmin, you will be recognized for your skill not your degree. CS will get you an interview, but what you do with yourself after you are hired is entirely up to you. It's still important to have a Bachelors, you can't become a supervisor at my company without one. You cannot become management without a masters.
>>
>>55717477
Most people at my school will be going into programming related jobs once they graduate. Based on internship numbers I would say at least 90% of those that don't go do grad school will be involved in some kind of programming job.
>>55718750
There are plenty of places in the states that offer over 90k starting salary for new grads. If you went to any competent school and did internships you'll pretty much be golden for getting an interview at these companies.
Microsoft, Apple, FB, Google and tons of other large companies start at over 100k salary + RSU + signing bonus + performance bonus. You might have to move to a different state to work but it's worth it.
>>
File: bust.gif (497KB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
bust.gif
497KB, 500x262px
>>55719575
>pentesting
every time
>>
>>55719555
Quit shitposting, that's a perfectly normal wage straight out of college.
http://www.mtu.edu/engineering/outreach/welcome/salary/
>>
>>55717477
>As programmers?
yeah, those who failed to.
>>
>>55719608

The problem is finding your entry job. You will start low (50k-70k depending on internships), but once you have experience with ansible / puppet / chef and aws you will get hired fast. There are not many people who can use these technologies well and programming experience definitely helps with that stuff. I consistently see job postings for devops jobs in my city that pay 6 figures.
>>
>>55719598
>Most places aren't willing to drop a ton of money for a starting salary but promote you pretty quick
That depends on the job market of the field (CS being a saturated field does not allow for a higher starting salary and can be a problem in terms of job security with a large flow of grads)

Getting an MBA is probably the best plan and focusing on a highly specialized low competition niche related to your education and focus is even better.
>>
>>55719653

Yup pretty much what my dad did. After his mba got his first job over 150k, then kept getting raises. Ideally I want to start my own company but I need some capital and an idea.
>>
>>55719620
>Being a sysadmin, you will be recognized for your skill not your degree
I assumed as much. Sysadmin is heavy hands on work tailored to whatever the company has deployed.
>>
>>55719647
>perfectly normal wage
in a shit field with a large pool of grads and trends of outsourcing I guess that would be true
>>
>>55719689

This is definitely true but if a hone a diverse set of skills with different tech and can admin both linux and windows you will an asset wherever you choose to work.
>>
>>55719679
You will get plenty of time to think about what value you can add to your field of expertise once you get more accustomed to it during your MBA years. I'm basically sticking to the same plan as you except with data "science"
>>
>>55719650
>but once you have experience with ansible / puppet / chef and aws you will get hired fast.
I know those three are popular at this point but are you confident enough that they will become industry standards that are worth learning and can provide a respectable level of job security? I'm nowhere near the sysadmin route but I always have had this assumption that it is a fast changing field that requires constant relearning
>>
>>55719723
Makes sense. Thanks for the input
>>
I went and got my CS degree and went to the police academy so now I have a comfy job as a park ranger who works with environmental tech.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.