[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 36

File: 1456325107852.jpg (125KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1456325107852.jpg
125KB, 640x480px
Previously on: >>55681748

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s Videos
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s Videogames
>>
>>55693288
>Friends
Hi friend <3
>>
File: kdeneon.png (5KB, 90x89px) Image search: [Google]
kdeneon.png
5KB, 90x89px
Thoughts on KDE Neon?
Trying to figure out why this was necessary when Kubuntu exists.
>>
Beginner distro recommendation. Mint failed to instal last time I attempted shattering much of my faith in Linux.

My old standby mandriva is long dead.

I'm afraid I've been out of the Linux game for awhile and do not have A lot of time to relearn or deal with complications these days.

So what do? Was planning on building a system based around an fx 8350 and an rx 490...what's steam like these days? Has wine improved much? What sort of complications may I encounter?
>>
>>55693346
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>>
>>55693338
because kubuntu wasn't bleeding edge enough, always lagged behind
>>
>>55693346
Ubuntu is the answer. It has full support for gaming, and wine is good. Look at the pasta for GNU/Linux gaming for more http://pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H
>>
File: 1453788944549.png (377KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1453788944549.png
377KB, 640x480px
>>55693288
>>
>>55693371
How are drivers These days amd wise?

Just try in to get away from Windows and the creepy telemetry.

Is dependency he'll still a thing? Is there a copy I can buy with some customer support?
>>
>>55693400
Can't tell you much about amd drivers, dependency hell is not an issue in Ubuntu and I think Canonical provides technical support.
>>
>>55693424
Thx...guess I'll try installing that when I get my build finalized.
>>
"Ubuntu: The leading OS for PC, tablet, phone and cloud" http://www.ubuntu.com/
Soon.
>>
>>55693488
Eww no thanks.
>>
>>55693496
Ubuntu isn't a bad distro. It works well for the average joe, comes bundled with usable software and pretty much does what 90% of all users need from an OS.

And with Valve pushing Linux support more and more, gaming on Linux isn't what it used to be. Sure, my rig still runs Win7, but the support is getting better day by day.

And if you want to get a "better" distro, feel free to play around with Debian, Arch, Gentoo or one of the 1337distros you've never heard of before.
>>
>>55693549
>And if you want to get a "better" distro, feel free to play around with Debian, Arch, Gentoo or one of the 1337distros you've never heard of before.
Like devuan, support devuan.
>>
Has anyone here ever played any of the games that are bundled with kde-full?
>>
>>55693346
I'd honestly go for Ubuntu. There isn't really anything you can do wrong with the installer. In a VM, just select "Use the entire disk" and you're good to go
>>
>>55693578
kek no
>>
>>55693571
Go with whatever you please. I mean, that's the entire point of having like a bazillion different distros
>>
>>55693578
I don't know if Battle for Wesnoth is bundled with it, but it's a genuinely good Linux game
>>
>>55693608
I've gotta remember to check that out some time. I've been seeing the name for years but never gave it a shot.
>>
>>55693578
I don't know about KDE, but I've played these http://pastebin.com/rVwjEX9L
>>
>>55693288

You know how you can select a font size for XTerm by Ctrl+RMB and selecting from Tiny, Small, Medium, etc?

How do I make that setting permanent across terminal sessions? For whatever reason, Xenial upgrade made my terminal fonts MASSIVE but didn't touch ANY of the other X font settings.

Setting the font manually to "Tiny" is close to the font size I used to have before the update, but I have to do that for every session and I'd rather not do that for obvious reasons.
>>
>>55693649
You should. It's a great Turn-Based strategy game, well balanced, still in active development, muliplayer playable...
>>
>>55693655
Nice selection, thanks.
>>
File: snapshot20.png (485KB, 668x594px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20.png
485KB, 668x594px
>>55693608
It's not. I tried out KAtomic for about three minutes and it reminds me of those dumb WildTangent games that came with my Windows XP computer. Battle for Wesnoth looks pretty interesting though.
>>
>>55693672
Did you try changing the default profile's font?
>>
>>55693672
Set your .~/Xresources, mine is
xterm*maximized:    true
xterm*background: black
xterm*foreground: grey
xterm*cursorColor: green
xterm*cursorBlink: false
xterm*faceName: Tamsyn:size=14:antialias=true
xterm*faceNameDoublesize: WenQuanYi Zen Hei
xterm*termName: xterm-256color
xterm*locale: true
xterm*utf8Title: true
xterm*dynamicColors: true
xterm*borderWidth: 0

then do xrdb ~/.Xresources, maybe add that to your profile.
>>
>>55693715
Those games are more designed for a slow day in the office and should be compared to minesweeper instead of Battlefield.
>>
>>55693721
Yeah, the contents of both .Xresources and .Xdefaults are the same with regards to font settings:
XTerm*faceName: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
xterm*faceSize: 8
xterm*locale:true

In fact, it's the same across all of my machines. It's just the laptop with Xenial on it that's having this issue.
>>
>>55693740
Mandatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzY5Y6vBo7k
>>
>>55693740
What games can be compared to battlefield?
>>
>>55693760
In that case, I'd recommend you posting on askubuntu.com.

Include all related config files and you should get a response within a few hours
>>
>>55693655

Don't forget IVAN!

https://github.com/attnam/ivan
>>
Straightforward debian installation with gnome (default selection) - no login prompt, just a grayish screen

switching to another tty, login in and running startx goes past the gray screen but just show a debian wallpaper, nothing else, no mouse, no key works.

Is this a problem with gnome?
>>
File: Untitled3.png (221KB, 1395x948px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled3.png
221KB, 1395x948px
Whats causing these?
>>
Best pdf/documents viewer?
>>
>>55693813
The one I'm using.
>>
>>55693813
Chromium/Chrome. Just select them as default PDF viewer
>>
>>55693817
quality shitpost

>>55693813
I used mupdf
>>
>>55693802
Do they occur regularly/always?
If so, have you tried booting to a live distro?

If they persist, it might either be a.) a buggy driver, or b.) a hardware problem
>>
>>55693781
Haven't play it, speaking of which, FreedroidRPG needs our love, just hear their tracks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guMgUiqgW-w

The developer also made a presentation at FOSSDEM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icyE-S1NKIQ
>>
>>55693813
bloat 0: less
bloat 1: mupdf/zathura
bloat 2: evince/Okular
bloat 3: calibre

>>55693832
>quality shitpost
Nigger, what if anon A enjoys reading pdfs with less, but anon B want's a comfy gui? There is no such thing like "best" program.
>>
>>55693842
they seem random
>>
>>55693848
>not reading your pdfs in vim
>>
>>55693848
>providing bloat levels

Now this is a high quality post.
>>
File: truefacts.png (31KB, 417x173px) Image search: [Google]
truefacts.png
31KB, 417x173px
>>55693848
>bloat 0: less
>bloat 1: mupdf/zathura
>bloat 2: evince/Okular
>bloat 3: calibre
>>
>>55693799
Just realised, the laptop screen is broken so I'm using an external screen. Dumbo.

>>55693848
Just saying your post was useless compared to the list you just did.
Would love that kind of list for other things.

>>55693862
>math pdf
>>
>>55693863
Remember: Anything more than a shell, an editor and gcc is just bloatware in a distro
>>
>>55693848
I guess the winner is mupdf because the epub support.
>>
>>55693848
Is there a way to use less for epubs too?
>>
Why does using any sort of Live CD make your heatsink fan and exhaust fan sound like they're going to fly away
>>
>>55694002
Maybe you should try running a live image entirely from RAM.

This is probably one of the better ways to use a gorillion gigabytes of memory.
>>
>>55693913
vim

au BufReadCmd *.epub call zip#Browse(expand("<amatch>"))
>>
>>55693848
>>55693862
I don't think they would show images though, or do they?
>>
Will people laugh at my screenfetch if I have two screens with different resolutions?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-07-20_21-43-37.png (2MB, 3520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-07-20_21-43-37.png
2MB, 3520x1080px
>>55694703
No.
>>
>>55694703
To be honest I'd laugh if you WEREN'T using assorted $10 monitors from thrift shops.

Gamers with matching $900 monitors would be running windows anyways.
>>
(debian gnome) Just spent two hours or so trying to switch on which monitor should the login appear. What the fuck xorg.

Xorg -configure returns "number of created screens does not match number of detected devices"

xrandr never displayed anything else than "can't open display"

I'm switching the monitor, setting the primary option on xorg.conf but nothing changes! The only change is when there's an error in the file...

Starting to think gnome don't give a fuck about xorg.conf?
>>
arch linux user here
I'm trying to figure out how to patch my terminus font but for the life of me i can't seem to do it
i'm an xterm user, and this is for the vim powerline symbols (vim-devicons or something like that)
how do i go about doing this?
>>
>>55693549
This.
People seem to hate on Ubuntu for it being easy yet they complain about not enough people using Linux... hypocrisy at it's finest...
>>
>>55695042
Those are different people saying those things.
>>
>>55694831
xrandr --output ${name_of_display} --primary
>>
what is the pacman version of apt-listchanges?
>>
>>55695231

Pacman/Rosetta in your search engine.
>>
>>55695806
stop posting
>>
>>55695824

How do I stop posting?
>>
>>55693288 Now do one set nice/ionice/trickle for debian daemons? Is manualy editing init.d scripts good practice?
>>
>>55695188
>xrandr never displayed anything else than "can't open display"

Already tried that command : can't open display
The name of the display are LVDS1 and VGA1.
I'm pretty sure it's just gnome fucking up something at this point.
>>
>>55696255
And it says can't open display because I'm in a tty, I can't run a shell while on X, because I only have access to one of those screens.
>>
>>55693288
I just installed debian 8.5 Cinammon on my laptop. I'm trying to install the nvidia driver I downloaded with sh ./ driver.run from ctrl+alt+f1 but it still says i need to stop the xserver. How do I do it?
>>
>>55696440

>I'm trying to install the nvidia driver I downloaded
Stop using the Windows mindset and installing things outside of your package manager. Either use the free driver bundled with Debian or use some of those extra repositories to install the proprietary one.
>>
>>55696537
Should I try the jessie-backports one then?
>>
>>55696568
update: cinammon is now on fallback mode and won't start. I guess I'll reinstall and stop trying to use steam
>>
>>55696255
You know, I like linux.
But this kind of shit is so annoying.

It was indeed gnome reconfiguring the x server on its own and you can't do anything about it, it's fucking sad.

Hours of searching and the issue isn't solved, I guess I'll go straight to minimal.
>>
File: SOFXhd6.jpg (73KB, 1080x960px) Image search: [Google]
SOFXhd6.jpg
73KB, 1080x960px
I'm using Debian stable on a ARM device (Novena IMX.6). I want to move to testing but the 2D acceleration vivante/armada driver is provided by the makers themselves and doesn't support the latest xorg-server. I tried the regular modesetting driver and it wasn't worth it.

How can I move to testing while keeping my current xorg-server and not ruining everything?
>>
>>55693338
KDE Neon should be more stable
>>
>>55696929
maybe it should be but it's not, it's buggy as fuck
>>
How can I blacklist a package from updating (Debian)?
>>
I'm just wondering, for a storage only disk, is partitioning actually necessary?
Is there any reason not to just format the entire block device as a single filesystem?
I do that for disk images the whole time, why not with externals?
Partitioning may be necessary on boot disks so a bios can read the boot sector, but why bother on one purely for storage?
Is there anyone here who just doesn't?
>>
>>55697165
you have to have at least one partition even if it's the whole drive for an os to read data/write data, but yeah for a storage drive not only is there no need for multiple partitions, it's pants on head retarded, it's also pohr to have multiple partitions on a system disk unless you're considering the boot sector a partition. the only time it's not retarded is in the case of multiple oses on the same disk
>>
>>55697042
nevermind, found it
sudo apt-mark hold <packager>
sudo apt-mark unhold <package>
>>
Hi /g/, I'm new to linux, and I got stuck at installing xfce4. I installed arch but I think that the xfce is trying to install on my usb drive because it says that I don't have enough free disk space (the usb drive is full). How do I change the install location of xfce4?
>>
>>55693288
If ATI/AMD is the enemy of freedom and so is Nvidia, what graphics card should I buy?
>>
>>55697665

You find out into which directory the package's files are installed and then mount that directory on a different storage device.
>>
Do you guys use sudo often?
Can you make a command always run as root (like apt-get) without needing a password? (And is it good practice? for apt-get?)
>>
>>55697211
Wait, if I make a empty 500gb file, then format it with mkfs, would you call that partitioned? It doesn't have a partition table, but it is still one chunk.
I'd argue it's not. It's a formatted block.
>>
>>55698209
>Can you make a command always run as root (like apt-get) without needing a password?
Not really, that I know of at least.
But you can still install software by either using
apt-get source <package>
to get the source code and compile it yourself or just install every package with
dpkg -i <packages> --force-not-root --root=<path>
if it's dependent on other packages.
Also, include the specified <path> to your $PATH.
>>
>>55697665
post your $lsblk
>>
>>55698209
>>55698390
I forgot to mention, read through dpkg's man page BEFORE doing what I wrote. It's important to know what it does exactly.
>>
>>55698390
If I compile it myself, will apt-get be able to remove it?
If not this counts as manually installing stuff, which I've seen people advise against.

Well I'll just install sudo, I'm used to it anyway.
>>
>>55698506
>If I compile it myself, will apt-get be able to remove it?
No, it doesn't.

>Well I'll just install sudo, I'm used to it anyway.
What distro did you install that you don't have sudo pre-installed?
>>
>>55698518
Debian minimal
>>
File: arc-gentoo-striped.png (46KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
arc-gentoo-striped.png
46KB, 1920x1080px
>>
Hey /fglt/, I need an imageviewer that can scroll, zoom, pan, go to the next image, with one hand, preferably the left hand
>>
>>55698754
viewnior, feh if you don't use a tiling WM.
>>
>>55698754
really makes you think
>>
Is KeePassX the best password manager for linux? I don't like the idea of having all my passwords in one place, but it's a better option than only having 2-3 passwords that aren't as secure for all my accounts...
>>
>>55698970
Maybe?

Better than cloud shit at least.
>>
>>55698970
Yes.

But I use keepass2 cause I'm on windows too.
>>
What's the best network manager for debian?
less bloated, CLI, painless to use, multiple profiles
>>
>>55699051

I mean I'm not going to use anything that's cloud based, so it's probably my best option, and it's better than using the same password for loads of different stuff I think...
>>
>>55699075
>>55698970
>best
the one I'm using
>>
If I encrypt my main partition but leave the boot partition unencrypted, can someone get the key from a memory dump? Or is it otherwise insecure?
>>
>>55699153
waiting for the quality post that'll come after complains
>>
>>55699075
NetworkManager
>>
>>55699184
Can you use it with the command line?
>>
>>55699263
yes
>>
>>55699263

Maybe

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/sec-Using_the_NetworkManager_Command_Line_Tool_nmcli.html
>>
>>55699275
Landed on that as well, I'll try wicd instead.
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
>upgrade to new bluez version
>have to use pulse now instead of just alsa
>"well, at least pulse was designed to account for bluetooth audio so it should work better"
>bluetooth audio works even WORSE now

LENNART
>>
>>55699263
yes, both via TUI and CLI
>>
>>55695042
>People seem to hate on Ubuntu for it being easy
Wrong. Only idiots complain that it's "too easy". Ubuntu's entire appeal is that it's easy to set up and use.

Most people hate on Ubuntu/Canonical for taking all the credit for work that was mostly done by FOSS developers (despite their contributions). They basically want the Ubuntu-brand to replace all of GNU/Linux. Also because they're corporate shills who likely prioritize money over freedom, or even usability.
>>
Adding chinese/japanese characters support to terminal? Japanese kanjis seem to load fine while I ls ~/music but chinese characters won't display. Any help?
>>
Why does everyone use apt/apt-get/apt-cache when 'aptitude x' does the same? Is there any big difference? I mostly prefer aptitude because it leaves less output in the terminal, and it's just one command name instead of apt-whatever.
>>
>>55699785
aptitude and apt-get are not the same thing, use only one of the per system because mixing them up fucks you up.
aptitude is nice because of the dependency resolution. apt-get/apt is popular because it is mostly used in tutorials and is a bit more standard than aptitude.
i personally prefer aptitude.
>>
>>55699785
Welp, aptitude is an additional package.
apt works fine so, idc.
>>
>>55699785
afaik apt is now apt
>>
Hi, I installed arch with xfce4, I got Chromium and Safari but none of them would start so I switched to gnome (I've used gnome before) but the browsers still don't work, do you have any ideeas why?
>>
>>55699782
Seems like it is an encoding problem. Installed Thunar and it says 'Encoding invalid'. Is there any way to enable both encodings at the same time? I'm thinking the characters might be Big5, and I don't feel like having to enable one encoding and disable the other every time I need to work with this files. Maybe a more straightforward solution might be renaming the files?
>>
.. I don't understand why everything is so fucking obscure when trying setup wireless with the cli compared to clicking on a gui.
Why was rfkill set to block wifi?
Why is wicd-cli doing absolutely nothing? (can't even disconnect the wired network, can't scan even when iwlist can..)
>>
Hello, /fgl/.
Has anyone the pasta with all the information how Windows is spying and works with NSA with the articles about it?
>>
Ok so Asuka is xfs and Rei was xfs but was reformatted to ext4 using
sudo mkfs.ext4 -m 0 /dev/sdb1

Why are the sizes different? Should I have done mkfs on /dev/sdb instead of sdb1? Ive always used a gui like gparted when partitioning so this is pretty new to me
>>
>>55700451
Found it. In case you need this for an argument with a Windows normie:

Obligatory pasta.

Microsoft is part of NSA's mass surveillance program "PRISM":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

Microsoft informs the NSA about bugs before fixing them:
https://archive.is/OBGB1

Microsoft openly offeres cloud data to support PRISM:
https://archive.is/tW6fu

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption:
https://archive.is/2XIvX
https://archive.is/qLRZx

Windows snoops on the users' files, text input, voice input,
location, contacts, calendar records and web browsing history,
even after related settings are turned off:
https://archive.is/thsGd
https://archive.is/sz1nt
https://archive.is/g3QdQ
https://archive.is/ko469
https://archive.is/l6pmO
https://archive.is/zK93U

Micrcrosoft automatically downloads Windows 10 on PCs running
Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (between 3.5GB and 6GB), even if
users have not opted-in:
http://archive.is/CEvKh

Windows 10 scans for illegal/pirated software:
https://archive.is/vhjwm
https://archive.is/2jehd
https://archive.is/KQsBh

Microsoft proudly presents surveillance statistics:
https://archive.is/MB0Yy

> Over 82 billion photos viewed.
> Gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games.
> 44.5 billion minutes/month spent in Microsoft Edge.
> Over 2.5 billion questions asked of Cortana since launch.
> Windows 10 now active on over 200 million devices.
>>
Set up a Debian install on my desktop with XFCE, liking it so far but I'm now searching for some nice software. Any recommendations for video players (or is VLC fine on linux?), music players (I'm used to foobar2k) or image viewers (used to Honeyview on windows)?

Also any other software suggestions that'll just be nice to have would be much appreciated.
>>
File: 1442411725495.jpg (36KB, 313x313px) Image search: [Google]
1442411725495.jpg
36KB, 313x313px
>>55699705
>hate on Ubuntu/Canonical for taking all the credit for work that was mostly done by FOSS developers
Is this what FOSSfags believe?
I personally don't like ubuntu because of the out of the box setup, especially after they memed their by default "hard to configure" Unity and amazon spyware.

Now, for the "FOSS contribution", the deal is that "if you use a GPL licensed software, you've got to license your work under the same license". Despite this terms, """Dr.""" RMS estimates that he's been cheated and started his "it's GNU/Linux" propaganda although the license doesn't specify you have to mention GNU in front of your own project name.
>>
>>55700498
if you want a list of software, archwiki got a list here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
Best way is to try them yourself.
I personally use rhythmbox and mpv.
>>
>>55700570
You know, some day, when you read the same memes over the 9000th time, it just gets boring.
>>
>>55700587
linux
>>
>>55700490
Is there a pasta for finding pastas?

There used to be a website with various pasta but it was mostly various versions of "interject for a moment" and the like, not the "educating" ones.
>>
>>55700585
Ah that's perfect, thanks very much
>>
Today I want to make a separate partition on my SSD for Arch to create a dependency on Linux. I've heard that Windows 10 can screw things up with GRUB. Is this true?
>>
File: 1467763851138.jpg (141KB, 513x423px) Image search: [Google]
1467763851138.jpg
141KB, 513x423px
>>55700597
"""linux"""
>>
>>55700587
I still gets triggered everytime FOSS asks for credit despite their metastasizing license.

This, and rms calling himself a doctor
>>
File: 1446483834211.png (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1446483834211.png
19KB, 400x400px
>>55700598
just follow this guide
>>
>>55700636
Maybe you should do your own reasearches about him and GNU in general.
>credit
and
>doctor
are typical buzzwords out of the mouth of a guy who got all his knowledge from /g/ exclusivly
inb4
>rms eating something from his foot
>commie
>>
>>55700463
Disk /dev/sdd: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x1ac0f538

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdd1 2048 3907028991 3907026944 1.8T 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdi: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x63060f45

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdi1 2048 3907028991 3907026944 1.8T 83 Linux

sdd is Rei (ext4) the other is another 2TB disk formatted with xfs so does that just mean that ext4 even with reserved space for root set at 0 has less space than something formatted with xfs?
>>
wicd is shit ; shit cfg ; work at random (magically a reboot solved everything, wtf)
>>
>>55700701
I watched revolution OS, joined some foss events in my hometown and lurked the his blog.
I agree with the idea of opensource but I can't into foss mentality.

>credit
There isn't such mention in the gpl license.

>doctor
just read his mail signature

now, I know I won't convince you and you won't convinced me, but I'm definitely on the "just Linux" side of this shitpost war. If I am still getting involved in Linux meetups and share my code in opensource under opensource license everytime possible (under MIT license) but I don't want to be close to "do as we say or you're evil" FOSS line of thought.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-11-19-29-47.png (503KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-11-19-29-47.png
503KB, 2560x1600px
I'm running Manjaro using an older Nvidia GPU. Everythings fine. However, I removed the GPU (expecting Manjaro would detect the embedded garphics adapter) but upon reboot, Manjaro hangs.
How can I setup the embedded adapter, while keeping the Nvidia drivers and have Manjaro detect the switch like Windows does?
Thanks in Advance, -El Plebo
>>
>>55701022
>>credit
>There isn't such mention in the gpl license.
I meant that by using code under gpl, you're agreeing to share your code under the same license (*exactly* the same, because gnu/rms says "it's best for your freedom"). You're not tied to give credit through your project name, as the "it's GNU/Linux" people argue.
>>
>>55698506
>If I compile it myself, will apt-get be able to remove it?
Use checkinstall.
>>
I want a samsung notebook 9. But will it work with Linux? I can't find anything on it.
>>
>>55700646
Now that's pretty neat.
>>
>>55693288
Is there software that'll let me share a serial port from a linux machine over the network to a Windows machine? I've got an ancient phone mailbox system that can only talk through serial, and I want to be able to control it from my laptop rather than the aging laptop we have for the phone software.
>>
>>55700570
The GNU/Linux thing is mostly nitpicky nonsense. My point was more that Ubuntu doesn't give a shit about freedom or the benefits of open source. It just wants to be popular and make money (as displayed by the Amazon thing and Microsoft cooperation). It doesn't want to be thought of as "a linux distro," it wants to be a separate entity on its own.

They're completely within their right to do so, but I think they're sort of dicks for "riding on the shoulders of giants" and then ditching the giants because they got big, so to speak.
>>
>>55701529
Ubuntu still contributes a lot to debian, though.
>>
>>55701529
>Ubuntu doesn't give a shit about freedom or the benefits of open source. It just wants to be popular and make money (as displayed by the Amazon thing and Microsoft cooperation)
Can't argue against you on this.

>then ditching the giants
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>55701022
>thousands of free software projects
>let's everything call linux
ok kid
>>
fedora or debian (stable or testing) for a new desktop pc? I'm quite new to linux. Don't want mint, maybe ubuntu (nvidia drivers would be nice)
My torrent were gone (windows did reset all my settings of everything, all programs like freshly installed) i did try everything to prevent installation of this shit...still, came home, error messages, lost settings and a lagging updated windows w10....
>>
>>55701741
I know right. Let's call it systemd/X window system/.../gnu/linux instead.

>ok kid
:^)
>>
>>55701022
>but I'm definitely on the "just Linux" side
Disliking GNU (for whatever reason) shouldn't turn you into someone who ignores history and technical facts. Furthermore, the "Open Source idea" is actually nothing but a development model, coined to boost market share.
And that's the problem. I, personally, dont' want yet another half assed proprietary system. I want GNU/Linux to stay free as in freedom and the Open Source model with it's "locked down systems are okay" mentality can go jump in a lake.
>>
>>55701797
Yeah, why not adding a browser or your favorite terminal retard?
>>
>>55701819
linux isn't even free, it violates the gpl since 1996 with all that binary blob shit, but people don't care because ebin hardware support

get linux-libre https://www.fsfla.org/selibre/linux-libre/
>>
>>55701765
Fedora.
>>
Finding xterm a little limiting. Thoughts on other terminals?
>>
>>55702043
terminator, gnome-terminal and terminology are good. Maybe there is other terminals that I didn't tried and that are good.

>>55701765
debian is not a work out of the box distribution
You might like fedora or ubuntu.
>>
>>55702043
limiting how? what do you want to do with it?
>>
>>55702043
Anyone have this issue with Libreoffice? The fucking toolbar isn't visible. The buttons can still be used just fine, but the text doesn't show up
>>
File: ss-2016-07-22-201937.png (126KB, 1807x1007px) Image search: [Google]
ss-2016-07-22-201937.png
126KB, 1807x1007px
>>55702120
didn't mean to quote and forgot the pic
>>
>>55702043

suckless: CTRL+ALT+F1
lightweight: st
suckmore: xterm, termite
bloat: urxvt, tilda, guake, yakuake, terminator
more bloat: gnome-terminal, konsole
schway bloat: cool retro term
gangbang bloat: terminology
>>
>>55702112
Going to take a look at them. Heard about Sakura? Any one using it?
>>55702115
I had to copy and paste text from the browser to an ncmpcpp instance and had some trouble. Thought another terminal would handle this better.
>>
>>55702159
urxvt could be the best terminal if people would actually develop it and fix annoying bugs like the font width

wondering why nobody forked it
>>
Do you guys know of any utilities for checkboxes/lists within bash scripts for things like arguments? like a gui in ssh for options when running a script
>>
>>55702245
look into zenity
>>
>>55702245
or for tui: dialog and whiptail
>>
>>55702209
copy and paste to ncmpcpp? are you tagging stuff? shift+insert or the middle mouse button are all you need
>>
>>55701577
You're right. I am being unfair to Ubuntu/Canonical, and I was mostly just explaining why (I think) people hate on Ubuntu.

It's a bit of a symbiotic relationship between Debian and Ubuntu. Debian provides the stable (and ethically sound) base while Ubuntu provides a huge audience with its ease of use and marketing. And I think Ubuntu has also really helped push the easy-to-install wizard, which is awesome.

>>55701590
>What do you mean by this?
I meant that they kind of go out of their way to distance themselves from being part of the Linux (or GNU/Linux, if you care) community. Look at the main page for the "Ubuntu PC operating system":
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
The word Linux isn't even on the page. They're built upon a community that they mostly don't want to be associated with.
>>
xinput isn't working, what do?
>>
>>55700768
>does that just mean that ext4 even with reserved space for root set at 0 has less space than something formatted with xfs?

Yes.
>>
>>55702407
Yes I was doing that. Shift+Insert didn't work, middle mouse button did tho.
>>
>>55698970
>>55699150
Obviously the cloud options are retarded.

Your best options are keepassx, pass, and just putting all your passwords in a gpg-encrypted text file (don't let that file touch the disk in cleartext though).
>>
>>55702120
>>55702136
Fixed, had to run it with env SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk. Guess it didn't detect that automatically
>>
>>55700194

>not posting info on how you start them
>not posting any logs
>not posting any stderr messages from your terminal emulator upon starting them

No one will help you now even if you do post those, because of your attitude assuming that people are clairvoyant.
>>
>>55700418

>using an abandoned network manager

Serves you right.
>>
>>55702508

It did. Newer versions default to GTK3 and your theme obviously isn't fully GTK3/LO compatible. Using that workaround makes it use GTK2 for the interface.
>>
>>55702593
This information appears no fucking where except when you're deep in and searching for shitty answers.
Connman is the newest, right?
>>
>>55702630

>Announcements
>1.7.3 released on 2014-12-21
>This is a bugfixing release, with more than 30 bugs squashed. One new featur...
https://launchpad.net/wicd

Then you also check the bug tracker and see how fucked it is. Don't let the 1.7.4 release fool you, that's apparently only fixing one bug[0]

[0]https://sourceforge.net/p/wicd/mailman/wicd-announce/?viewmonth=201601&viewday=25

I don't know about Connman. You don't use software because it's the newest, you use it because it works and does the things you need.
>>
>>55702619
Do you know what's the most simple way to make qt4 and qt5 applications mimic the current gtk2 theme? I used qt5ct but after an update its gtk-like theme engine vanished
>>
>>55702691

The GTK style was moved to qtstyleplugins. Install that package and you can use it again. The value for the QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE variable changed. Set it to gtk2 now instead of gtk+.
I don't think you'll be able to use it together with qt5ct. It causes segfaults. There's a thread on the Arch forums which has answers.
>>
File: feels computer.jpg (318KB, 1102x967px) Image search: [Google]
feels computer.jpg
318KB, 1102x967px
>pacman Sy
works
>pacman -S iw wpa-supplicant dialog
command not found
Why?
>>
>>55702726
Okay, thanks
>>
>>55702834

Post the exact output with a screenshot and not that.
>>
>>55702682
I just want one that works on the cli.
I'm already missing netctl..
>>
>>55702834
wpa_supplicant
>>
>>55702956

Network Manager works "on" the CLI, TUI and GUI. You're using a web browser and posting on 4chan, which means you have X11 installed and there's absolutely no reason to shy away from Network Manager's GUI interface. Even then, the CLI is as robust and featurefull as the GUI version.
>>
>>55703022
Two computers obviously. I wanted a cli one that works well because I'll soon install on the raspberry and in general it's harder since I'll be installing it through ssh / I can mess up ethernet while setting up the wireless and would need to start all over again
>>
>>55702985
Just mistyped it here not in the consol.

>>55702956
When running
>pacman -Sy
it succeeded with checking for core updates

When running
>pacman -S iw wpa_supplicant dialog
I got
-bash: pacman: command not found
>>
File: 2016-07-22-142714_642x362_scrot.png (21KB, 642x362px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-22-142714_642x362_scrot.png
21KB, 642x362px
>>55703097
You broke something. Undo what ever you were fucking around with.
>>
File: 8En4179.jpg (88KB, 1018x911px) Image search: [Google]
8En4179.jpg
88KB, 1018x911px
>>55703125
>>55702935
Found out what was wrong... pacmam=/=pacman
Oops
>>
File: 5798457948.png (61KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
5798457948.png
61KB, 640x430px
>>55703417
No love for pacma'am
>>
Is it wrong that I want to do everything in Emacs?
I can just dump emacs on every machine and jump around buffers and terminals quicker than I could with terminal multiplexers

I also preserve all my shortcuts and extensions for quicker editing and navigation
>>
>>55703455
The patriarchate is behind this.
>>
>>55703492
>>55703455
The package manager for Toleranux ought to be called pacwoman
>>
>>55703537
pacnonbinarygenderedperson
>>
>>55703480
Go away stallman, you have some emails to download before ni ni time
>>
Good (read complete) icon themes for xfce please
>>
>>55703570
Come think of it, the term "package" may be considered an oppressive sexual innuendo. Casual misogyny is truly rampant.
>>
>>55703589
window managers are redundant for someone that spends the majority of their time in a text editor anyway
>>
>>55703778
tiling wm -> multiplexer -> editor

we must nest deeper
>>
>>55703628
>911 Operator: 911, Where is the location of your emergency?
>Triggered Anon: THERE IS A MAN EXPOSING HIS PACKAGE RINGING MY DOORBELL WITH A LARGE VAN AT THE END OF MY DRIVEWAY HEEEEEELP!11

They need to put shit like this on SNL.
>>
>>55703837
I wish we just focused on making one good thing instead of nesting layers of mediocre together but that is the curse of FOSS
>>
>>55703873
Well, we still end up with 3 nested layers of things that are each better than 1 mediocre commercial product.
>>
>>55703894
true
I will take something open that needs work anyday over proprietary abandonware
>>
>switched from Mint to Debian Jessie Cinnamon
>use xbacklight because my laptop consistently sets the brightness too high
>on Mint, xbacklight began after logging in; on Debian, it starts before

It's the little things, but I'm already happy with my decision.
>>
>>55698575
It has sudo if you don't use a root password.
>>
File: JBL.png (597KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
JBL.png
597KB, 1024x768px
Thoughts on Bieber Linux?
>>
>>55704102
Still better than Ubuntu.
>>
>>55704115
Top kek
>>
I am trying to learn how to conduct a man in the middle attack on my own network at home.

I have installed two virtual machines running Ubuntu on my windows box, but even when I turn on promiscuous mode on my VM's virtual NIC, they still do not capture packets.

Does the OS of my main computer (not the VM's) have to be a Linux distro as well? Or is it fine that I am running Windows?

I know this is a very specific question but I have spent hours trying to capture packets but I can't figure it out.
>>
File: 1466342076950.gif (3KB, 258x303px) Image search: [Google]
1466342076950.gif
3KB, 258x303px
Thoughts on Hitler Linux?
http://properfucked.net/hitlerlinux.html
>>
>>55704137
Delete this.
>>
>>55704137
Still better than Ubuntu.
>>
>>55704132
If you're using vbox then make sure the VMs NICs are set to Bridged mode, not NAT.
>>
File: 1462459431476.jpg (108KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1462459431476.jpg
108KB, 1600x1200px
Thoughts on Ubuntu Satanic?
http://ubuntusatanic.org/
>>
File: apacheconfigs.png (363KB, 1321x542px) Image search: [Google]
apacheconfigs.png
363KB, 1321x542px
Guys I need help.

Setting up an apache web server. Trying to make users' public_html directories... well, public. Somehow I keep getting permission denied errors, and at this point I have no clue what could be wrong/missing here.

The virtual host file and userdir conf file are both symlinked and included in the main config file. My directory is as simple as it gets
/home/~user/public_html

I made sure all directories give read permissions to all users.

Picture are my userdir.conf and blog.com.conf vhost files.

If someone has an idea what I could be doing wrong or missing, please let me know.
>>
File: 1459732776237.jpg (126KB, 801x600px) Image search: [Google]
1459732776237.jpg
126KB, 801x600px
>>55704191
I prefer the christian edition: http://ubuntuce.com/
>>
>>55704234
The error log says
AH01630: client denied by server configuration /home/~user

I can perfectly access /var/www/public_html btw
>>
File: 1468944821543.png (8KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1468944821543.png
8KB, 420x420px
>>55704161
How so? Humor me...
>>
>>55704262
what the fuck is this
>>
>>55704527
Hitler doesn't sell your soul to Amazon, for one.
>>
>>55704616
Ubuntu doesn't do that anymore either lassie
>>
added an account on mint 18 without a password and now I can't switch off that user. Every time I try to start a new login or switch user, the login screen flashes for a second before changing back to the account I made.
>>
>>55704636
>The “Ubuntu Software Center” lists proprietary programs and free programs jumbled together. It is hard to tell which ones are free since proprietary programs for download at no charge are labelled “free”.
, for two.
>>
>>55704761
They said they removed the Amazon shit dawg
>>
>>55704785
>http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/
three
>>
>>55704785
They bullied fixubuntu: https://micahflee.com/2013/11/canonical-shouldnt-abuse-trademark-law-to-silence-critics-of-its-privacy-decisions/
>>
>>55704816
three?
>>
>>55704816
That article never mentions anything about Amazon bro. Wasn't that wat we were talking about first?
>>
>>55704894
They tried to license their packages (which they got from Debian) to Mint: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2014/02/13/community-council-statement-on-canonical-package-licensing
>>
>>55704938
But they got rid of the Amazon shit right
>>
>>55704945
It's just disabled, the spyware is still installed.
>>
>>55704970
At least it's not active
>>
>>55704978
Who knows what comes next?
>>
>>55704994
Dunno, im not god lol
>>
>>55705003
lol
>>
>>55703596

There are no "xfce" icon themes. Most icon themes follow the Freedesktop specification and work on all environments and applications.

Faenza
Numix
Elementary Xfce
Adwaita
Cheser
Breeze
Luv
Paper icons
>>
shopt -s autocd
>>
>>55705156
I went with La Capitaine
>>
Should I ditch X entirely and just use emacs for everything?
>>
>>55700768
Ok I figured that at least the directory is actually accessible via ip/~user

anyone know what the correct documentroot has to be in the virtual host conf?
>>
>>55706328
you quoted the wrong person
>>
I'm trying to remove the games that came with my KDE installation, but when I tried to remove one, it said that kde-full and kdegames will also be removed. Am I safe to go on?
>>
>>55706440
These sound like meta packages, so removing one of their constituents will also remove these. I don't think you need to worry until it tells you it's uninstalling 200 other packages.
>>
>>55706400
Oh man. I need sleep.
Mean to quote this post
>>55704234
>>
>>55698118
use some string and sellotape

these are the only items that respect your freedoms
>>
what are the core differences when it comes to

>arch
>gentoo
>debian
>mint

particularly when relating to
>accessability (to beginners)
>features
>how "light" it is (how fast it runs)
>out-of-the-box experience
>>
>>55707674
responses with autistic amounts of detail appreciated.
>>
>>55707674
Everybody will not have the same point of view on arch but gentoo and arch aren't the most accessible when you're a beginner. Even debian since it's not a friendly user distro

>features
Define "features".

gentoo >arch >debian >mint
in this order

Only mint. Debian maybe according the point of view
>>
>>55707674
wiki, autism, wiki, autism
>features
>>
>>55707674
arch:
Low
>features
many
Light enough, very fast
Not available
gentoo:
Lower
>features
Close to Infinitely customizable
Very light, fastest possible
Not available
debian:
High
>features
many
Lighter than most, a bit slow on preconfigured desktops
Decent
mint:
High
>features
Close to Arch but not there
Slow
Best of 4
>>
>>55707717
>>55707746
so basically the lighter i go the harder it is to acclimate myself and get started?

im on the high dive and i want to jump into the pool of linux. i want a fast feature rich environment but am scared of drowning. someone push me with a good argument, ive switched between mac and win before so i know it will feel weird but i also know it will be tougher. im really attracted to what you say about gentoo but am also very afraid of a steep cliff. im a good learner and am very interested. just nervous.

should i pick arch, gentoo or debian?
>>
File: 8452926.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
8452926.png
29KB, 633x758px
>>55707833
im scared pls hold me
>>
>>55707833
Start with mint.

When comfortable use Either Manjaro or Ubuntu

Manjaro users:
>Switch to Arch
>Switches to Gentoo
>Switches to BSD ultimately

Ubuntu users:
>Switch to Debian
>Switches to Slackware ultimately
>>
>>55707861
Not true by the way.
>>
>>55707861
the slow part of mint is what worries me. im inheriting an older laptop (not ancient just "eh") and want a fast clean OS. which is why i want linux in the first place.
>>
>>55707833
I saw a few people going directly with Arch for their first distribution. Gentoo might be too difficult for a beginner. (You can still try to install it)
Now it depends how deep you wanna dive. I think debian will be more suited for you. Get some experiences with it, learn how to use the CLI and then switch if you want.
Compared to windows, whatever the distribution it will be faster anyway.
>>
>>55707916
Can you define features ? because I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing. Gentoo permits you to compile your packages using USE flag but I'm not sure that's the kind of features you're looking for.
>>
Anyone have any good ricing guides/tips? I'm running Arch and just installed i3 after a month of optimizing everything that doesn't involve X. I need some good (probably monospaced) font recommendations, config settings for i3/compton/urxvt/Chrome, and any other apps. Recommendations for a good multiplexer or any other tips also appreciated. I'm pretty new to Linux ricing, having previously only ever used mint and Ubuntu with pretty much default settings.
>>
>>55707674
They are exactly the same. If you dont want systemd, go to gentoo.
If you want a sane package manager, that will never dep hell you, go with arch. Literally copy verbaitem from the wiki and you're gold.

Anything else is the exact same, same packages,same configs.
>>
im thinking about making a "what distro is right for you" quiz thing (for fun) that will take your answers on your opinions and recommend a distro that may be best suited for you.

i was wondering if there were any recources like this already ant if there was any question you would like to see implemented in this. i want to make it universal as well (can be run on linux, mac OS and win) and was wondering what language would be good to use to make such a program?
>>
File: 1447700219642.jpg (146KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
1447700219642.jpg
146KB, 850x850px
Does Google drive work on Linux?
I use Google drive for a shit load of things and don't plan on stopping. I don't want to "free myself from Google" but I do want to switch over to Linux for good. Tired of Windows.

All of the articles on Drive on Linux are from years ago so I'm not sure what to think. Maybe it was updated better, maybe it wasn't?
>>
>>55707955
like whats available and obvious to a not very literate user. such as preinstalled programs and tools.
>>
>>55708003
EVERY distro is the same as the other.
The ONLY difference is the packmanger and how packages are handled
>>
>>55708022
Some workarounds sure, no native client.

Don't use it tho, so cant tell you how.
>>
>>55708022
>getting tired of windows
>continues to be in the botnet
>>
>>55708022
Doesn't the webapp work? I've only used it to upload Leprechaun movies so I could watch them with friends on cytube.
>>
>>55707861
>Switches to BSD ultimately
Literally who?
>>
File: Spectacle.S13765.png (22KB, 728x479px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.S13765.png
22KB, 728x479px
>>55708589
>>
Are there any benefits to using btrfs over ext4 for single storage drives?
>>
>>55708679
no
btrfs still fucks up randomly
It is an elitist file system, you can see this from their bug tracker

There is no reason to not use ext4 or xfs
>>
>>55708655
fucking around in a vm doesn't count
>>
How would i go as to using Window Managers. I like the look of those "anime ricer" type os'.
>>
How do I fix this in ClearOS webmin?

If not - how do I fix this with iptables in CentOS?
>>
I've got a Skylake processor. I want to run Linux but I've heard that Skylake is terrible on power management on it. A lot of people weren't getting more than two hours of battery life because of it.
>>
>>55708806
Reset rules
I hope you kept a backup

>>55708821
Powerful processors drain battery easily. If you are using a laptop use a lightweight DE and tlp
>>
>>55708777
for a beginner I'd start with AwesomeWM. Find the install instructions for your distro and have at it

You can also check out others if you're up for it, like bspwm (which I use) or i3.

ricing takes a lot of work though so don't expect it to look pretty right away
>>
>>55708868
>Reset rules
Why?

I want to ADD rules to drop basically all of these skiddies and also the great firewall of china.
>>
>>55708868
Thank you.
I'm only concerned because I'm getting nearly ten hours most of the time on Windows 10 but I'd hate for it to go down a lot on something else.
>>
>>55693872
Unplug laptops own screen from the motherboard
>>
File: 1430661462043.gif (424KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1430661462043.gif
424KB, 267x200px
I *just* discovered the wonders of Wine (yeah, I know, super slow poke) by downloading an old WoW client to play on a private server, and it works beautifully.

I just wanted to ask you guys: if I want to pull some more folders of old games from my small windows partition and run them with Wine, is it better practice to install winetricks and run wineprefixes of them? or is it just fine to just go on the terminal and run the .exe's with wine and nothing else?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>55708777
CWM is great. Just customize your terminal and you're set.
>>
>>55708877
>AwesomeWM
>for a beginner to tiling WM's

He kinda has to know LUA scripting for that one though.

I'd say i3's much easier for a beginner, seeing as the config files are plain text.
>>
>>55708877
>>55708985
Fluxbox
>>
>>55708985
>>55709076
I've been jumping between Awesome, i3, and Fluxbox for the last week or so. I'm settling down with i3. Awesome is good looking and really easy to use features out of the box, but not minimal enough. Fluxbox is fast and easy to use and configure, definitely the best *box WM. I think Flux has the best aesthetics for ricing and have a pretty desktop. i3 is great. It has just enough features to make it usuable. It's minimal, easy to use and configure.
>>
>>55709211
>calling for the a tiling wm.
>>
Help my audio is not working for any applications even though my volume is max and unmuted. System sounds work fine. I'm looking for a graphical sound manager that works with arch linux and pulseaudio. I have a feeling the sound output is just not on the right channel or something or not outputing to speakers.
>>
>>55709257
type alsamixer into your terminal, press F6, select the option after default, show us
>>
>>55709257
pavucontrol
>>
File: Selection_040.png (24KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_040.png
24KB, 650x400px
>>55709268
>>
>>55709285
huh. and if you press F6 again and select default that's maxed out too?
>>
File: Selection_041.png (17KB, 654x402px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_041.png
17KB, 654x402px
>>55709297
This is what your asking right?
>>
>>55709315
idk why it was muted in that shot.
>>
>>55709315
Yeah. well there goes my idea. Sorry mang, wait for someone smarter to help you
>>
Adding bindsym $mod+m exec ncmpcpp to i3 config doesn't do shit. Why? binding exec mpd works. Maybe ncmpcpp can only be started from a console?
>>
am i supposed to feel like i'm witnessing a rape whenever someone else uses my computer?
>>
>>55709369
I fixed it.

I installed pavucontrol, it was only detecting dummy settings so I ran pacman -Syu and then rebooted. It then was detecting the proper soundcard and my speaker volume was at like -12 or some shit? Idk it was low enough to where no sound was comming out but it wasn't muted. So I turned it up to 100 and everything works now. I hope I don't have to redo this every time I boot/make alterations to the conf file.
>>
>>55709472
Yes, the best way to spot a cuck is if they tell other people to use their computer while they watch.
>>
>>55708776
It is however a precursor to fully switching.
>>
>>55709472
>>55709504

I'd pull out a spare computer long before letting anyone come near my main two. What the hell sort of situations do you people get into where people need to touch your computers?
>>
I want to use a dynamic tiling wm again, and I can't decide between xmonad and awesome. I know a very little bit of lua and haskell, but I want to learn the language well, whatever one I pick. I want to be able to write new methods of how the windows are placed, which I can't do if I don't know the language.
>>
>>55710017
Underage
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1366x768px
What disadvantage from a freedom perspective am I at for using a cracked version of Windows 7? Microsoft isn't benefiting at all, they're not receiving my information, I don't have to re-learn anything and there are more compatible programs.
>>
>>55710530
>more compatible programs.
Oceans of shitty abandonware isn't something to be proud of...
>>
>>55710530
End of support soon. Run windows in a VM
>>
>>55710530

What >>55710610 said
>>
>>55709350
urxvt -e ncmpcpp
>>
>>55693388
Missing comma after GNU/Linux. Why can't meme makers get the language correct?
>>
>>55710606
>>55710610
>>55710629
I didn't stay with my own thought in my question, but what from a "freedom" perspective?
Is there a compromise from a "free software" ideology?
>>
>>55710751
Yes, 4 freedoms. You cannot view the source code so it may undermine your right to change the software and distribute according to your need
>>
>>55710782
So in the case that I don't have the need, is my freedom compromised?
>>
>>55710795
>your freedom
Extent of freedom does not vary from person to person
>>
>>55710821
I'm not speaking on extent of freedom, but my freedom can be infringed upon when yours isn't couldn't it?
>>
>>55709211

Is I3 faster to setup and stuff? I don't plan on scripting in lua, I just like the tiling and shortcuts of awesome.
>>
>>55711387
yes
>>
>>55711387
Yeah, it's pretty straightforward
>>
>>55711387
It's fairly easy, you don't need to know any code. The man page tells you how to do everything.

After using it for a bit now, I have to say it's a pain moving around tiled windows in i3. It's fine with 2-3 windows, but it just becomes fucking chaos trying to position 4+ windows around with the default keybinds.
>>
>>55711502
Hm I'll see. I wasn't a power user of awesome either, just enjoying the instant placement of 3 terminals or simply having the screen split between a pdf and some terminals.
I need to find a way to have this on windows too, I hate resizing windows manually
>>
>>55711527
>I need to find a way to have this on windows too, I hate resizing windows manually

Win+left/right will snap windows to half of the screen; that's about the best you'll get.
>>
>>55711634
Yeah that's what I use constantly.

Watched the I3 screencast, it has the basic features I used on awesome (and almost same shortcut.. perfect)
>>
>be me
>mostly win user but not unfamiliar with linux
>comfortable on cli
>get annoyed with win 10 forcing onto user and assimilating into botnet
>install ubuntu
>just found zeitgeist.sqlite
>everything I've ever touched logged into this db. Stuff I've deleted months ago.
>wtf?
>uninstall zeitgeist
>cripples unity
>unity is kinda shit anyway
Is there a linux distro out there that doesn't bring that bullshit and is still somewhat useable?
>>
>>55712111
Literally anything that isn't ubuntu.
>>
>>55712125
I thought zeitgeist was part of gnome?
wouldn't linux mint with cinnamon work?
>>
>>55708777

If you're reading and posting on here on Linux, then you're already using a window manager.
>>
>>55710629

>small vertical and horizontal resolution
>fucks it even more up with a horizontal AND vertical bar
>>
please someone before I blow my damned brains out. Why is Linux such shit with USB transfer speeds? I'm trying to move a 20GB file from my Linux boot disk (Samsung 850 EVO 250GB) to a 32GB USB 3.0 flash stick.

Speeds drop and drop the entire time the transfer is taking place. To the point where the stick is lucky to see a sustained 30MB/s where as in Windows I know the same exact stick can do 150MB/s read and write. This is driving me nuts. It happens with every single flash drive and even my external spinner.

Using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS MATE
Z170 motherboard using intel USB driver.
>>
Trying to partition a live usb for persistence with parted.When I do print it lists,

> 1 16.4kB 8003MB 8003MB primary

Now 8000MB = 8G which is the size of the usb. But according to most of the resource I can find the mkpart command is supposed to start at the end of the last one shown on print.

So where the hell do I start my partition without fucking up my shit?
>>
>>55712529

Just use cfdisk like a sane person.
>>
>>55712559
Its showing the same thing. Apparently dd-ing this iso took up 7.5G. HOW. .
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.