[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 21

File: 1458038214029.jpg (3MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1458038214029.jpg
3MB, 3456x2304px
Previously on: >>55667654

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/713097### - /t/'s GNU/Linux Vidyo Thread
>>>/t/707928### - /t/'s GNU/Linux Vidya Thread
>>
>>55681748
Where does he live?
>>
should i use debian testing, opensuse tumbleweed, or manjaro
>>
Should we make this thread in 0net as well?
>>
File: Screenshot_009.png (111KB, 772x574px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_009.png
111KB, 772x574px
why does this only let me install 32bit iso's? i can't take a screenshot with that menu open for some reason.
>>
>>55682123
Specs?
>>
>>55682123
Just choose "other". Seriously.
>>
>>55682139
thinkpad x201 4gb 2.67ghz 1.5gb gpu. guess i'll have to emulate 32bit only?
>>55682168
"Other Linux (32 Bit)"
>>
>>55682187
Where did you get the thinkpad?
>>
>>55682326
from a guy in turkey. it was $215/650 ytl.
>>
>>55682379
Are you currently running a 64 bit OS? I would go for a alternative for the programm you're using.
>>
Trying out Trisquel for the first time and want to reset my password. Literally no string that I type in, no matter how scrambled, will yield anything but "Not good enough." There's even an option to generate an acceptable password but that just immediately closes the User Accounts menu.

What the heck do I do? Should I just reinstall the whole damn thing?
>>
>>55682421
yes. xubuntu x64. you mean virtualbox alternative?
>>
>>55682123
I had the same issue once when I tried installing a VM on Windows, I think I had to enable hardware virtualisation in the BIOS.
>>
>>55682440
Yes.
>>
>>55682187
not gonna have a good time with vms with that laptop.

i've got an x200 and didn't enjoy the little time i had virtualbox installed
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>55682471
shit, it worked mate. thanks for helping everyone.
inb4 image.jpg
>>
>>55681940
go with tumbleweed
>>
>>55681940
Manjaro OpenRC
>>
I'm getting ready to install gentoo on my thinkpad x201.

This is my first time with a source based distro, and I made this choice mostly for educational purposes (felt for the >understand linux better meme)

I'm planning to follow the handbook as much as possible and this link for the config http://www.robertspahr.com/text/x201/

Any last minute advice?
>>
>>55682712
Prepare your anus?
>>
>>55682712
install gentoo.
>>
The thread's speed makes me sad.
>>
File: vyCPIWn.jpg.png (485KB, 749x1920px) Image search: [Google]
vyCPIWn.jpg.png
485KB, 749x1920px
Reminder we have two threads on /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (torrents)
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097

Ported videogames (torrents)
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928

We need a thread on /vg/ for gaymers because year of the GNU/Linux desktop motherfuckers, here is the pasta
http://pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H
>>
I'd like debian on a 64bit pc without a windows manager (so I can choose my own and not have too stuff installed that I'll never use)

I tried to find debian minimal but there's nothing official? I heard about a server version? Maybe I'm not searching correctly.
>>
>>55683336
Download Devuan https://files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta.torrent
>>
>>55683398
I prefer to not wander away from the mainstream stuff. I also come from archlinux so avoiding systemd now doesn't make sense.
>>
>>55683336
it's called netinstall
>>
why is gpodder so slow?

want to like it, but it's just not good enough.
>>
>>55683465
Yeah but why is there no mentions of it on the site? Is it a choice you make when you use the installer?
>>
"I don't have either the time to debug systemd nor the inclination to touch that hairball".
Eric S. Raymond.
>>
>>55683514
friendly thread so i won't yell at you, but i'll just say the info is generally for new people and they wouldn't know what to do with a netinstall option.

now you know, so move on with your life and enjoy debian.
>>
>>55683565
I guess I'll start the normal installation and then redo it with netinstall.

Still isn't 3.7gib quite big for the complete install?
>>
Does RMS disapprove SystemD? Source?
>>
File: 1468113487806.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1468113487806.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
Where's the trash folder?
>>
>>55683711
What file manager?
>>
File: 13512024.png (149KB, 386x395px) Image search: [Google]
13512024.png
149KB, 386x395px
>>55683711
>>55683761
Anyways if you have xdg installed,
xdg-open ~/.local/share/Trash/
>>
>>55683761

I'm not using a file manager
>>
>>55681748
install arch with openbox and some minimum configuration .3 Gb of ram used, install chakra ram usage on idle 1.3Gb.. Any good alternatives?
>>
>>55683801
Arch lxqt
>>
>>55683801
yeah, you can instead download more ram
>>
>>55683711
Why are windows users so obsessed about the trash bin? Every time I see a windows screenshot, there's a least a trash icon visible.
>>
I guess this is the end of /g/. /flt/-/fglt/ was the last good thread here, but the shitposts have taken over. R.I.P.
>>
>>55683919
Just ignore them and participate when possible.
>>
How much does things change from one distro to another?
There's no specific guide for the X200 for debian, but there's one for archlinux. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Post_Installing_Arch_on_an_X200
>>
>>55683880

I junt want to know where it is
I'm not using a file manage so that means I'm deleting my files forever, right?
>>
>>55684001
If you're using rm, yes.

>>55683880
You can't remove the shortcut from the desktop.
>>
>>55684001
You are not moving to ~/.local/share/Thrash/ so yeah

>>55683983
What exactly are you looking for?
>>
>>55683983
arch needs a guide.

most other distros have guided installs

and since thinkpads are used a lot, the stuff should all work for the most part
>>
>>55684073
>What exactly are you looking for?

General advice, like making the trackpoint work (this point is covered more than once, so this is ok), maybe using the led?

If something's broken I'll be able to find info, but sometimes I didn't even know I could do that stuff. (fan controll and sensors for example)
>>
>using latest lubuntu on my x200s since 3 weeks
>everything I need just werks
>do the recommended update
>now mouse cursos get invisible after lockin in

nice """"update""""
>>
>>55684603
yeah been having some invisible menus after suspending my x200 too.

already have too much stuff on this, so sticking with it for now
>>
Why Freenode and not Rizon?

do you all have jobs or something
>>
>>55684603
Same thing happens to xfce. Go to tty with cntrl.alt.f1 and come back cntrl.alt.f7
>>
>>55684603
> remove light-locker
> install xscreensaver
> set it as default in lxde configuration
> ???
> profit, but have an ugly locker
>>
man is bloat
>>
>>55685303
man pages are like <2 MB, go shitpost elsewhere
>>
>>55685379

$ du -sh /usr/share/man
84M /usr/share/man
>>
i've read most of the listed resources and while this is probably one of the most asked questions, what is a very lightweight yet functional distro? got a pretty shitty notebook yesterday and i want to use it for web browsing and some programming, mostly web stuff.

TL;DR i want a lightweight distro that is functional and does not look like ass
>>
>>55685555
Debian/Devuan (as long as you don't use GNOME), Arch, Void, nearly anything will work well as a web browser. Just avoid the hyper-bloated DEs and the *buntus.
>>
I need a GNU/Linux distro to use a live CD. Is Linux mint safe to install?
>>
>>55685625
Correction, is it safe to use?
>>
I just got myself a VPS.

Setup ssh keys and then created a new user so I could deactivate root login via ssh.

Now something's wrong with that new user. There's no home directory and when I su I end up with my command line bottom prefixed with ONLY $, as if there was no user name for it. setting up a password for that uer worked though.

I have no idea what to make of this...
>>
>>55684041
>You can't remove the shortcut from the desktop.
Sure you can.
>>
>>55685656
useradd -m -s /bin/bash -g users -G wheel newuser

Without -m no home directory will be created. Without -s the default shell will be used, which depending on the distro may be POSIX /bin/sh rather than bash (or whatever shell you prefer).
>>
>>55685639
If you prefer stability over security, yes. Mint needs to block so major updates to work.
>>
>>55685702
thanks, but what's up with group "wheel"? it doesn't exist on my machine.
>>
>>55682712

You won't "understand" Linux better by installing Gentoo. Installing a distribution won't teach you anything about the kernel. Reading the kernel's source and following the mailing list might.
Neither will you learn more about "Linux" that way compared to using other distributions. The very fact that you somewhat seriously use the word "meme" shows that you might be an idiot.
>>
>>55685709
Cool. I just need a liveCD to test to make sure my wifi card works before installing slackware and my trust got broken after the website got hijacked.
>>
>>55683686

It's free software licensed under the GNU GPLv2. He doesn't disapprove of it.
>>
>>55683801

I suggest you don't use your computer at all. That way your RAM usage will be really minimal.
>>
>>55683686
His only concern is if it's free software or not, he won't care about details like if it's using systemd or not.
>>
>>55685596
Is Linux Mint a great option?
>>
>>55684237

The trackpoint should work out of the box. Instructions how to tweak it apply to all the distributions the same.
Fan control: just leave it be. It will work automatically.
Sensors: just install lm-sensors and that's it.
>>
>>55685699
You know what I implied : not in a straightforward way.
>>
>>55683983

>This page was last modified on 11 November 2010, at 07:52.
>>
>>55685755
Some distros name the group 'sudo' now but 'wheel' is a sexier name.

Either way with default sudo configuration that's the group of users who are allowed to use sudo.
>>
>>55685811
No. Showcase distros suck and are insecure. http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
File: desktop-icon-settings.png (40KB, 691x461px) Image search: [Google]
desktop-icon-settings.png
40KB, 691x461px
>>55685839
Yeah : ok
>>
>>55685811
Probably not the best for a shitty netbook, but not the worst.
>>
>>55685866
>implying the hordes of lusers he mentioned could find such a setting
>>
>>55685861
>techrepublic
The same people who think Ubuntu Unity is cool.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-truth-about-ubuntu-unity/
>>
>>55685861
If all I want is a quick liveCD to use, is linux mint good?
>>
>>55685882
Hey, if Hammad Rafique can find it, it can't be that difficult.
>>
>>55685850
Alright, thanks.

STill got the problem that when switching to that user I get s.t. like an empty user :/ doesn't even ask me for that users' pw
>>
>>55685819
Yes it works, on archlinux I just needed some scripts to make the scrolling work.

>>55685849
There's nothing newer anyway.
>>
>>55685850
Oh man, I thought newuser was a group. So I created newuser instead of the intended name
>>
>>55685959

What "scripts"?

>There's nothing newer anyway.
I didn't read everything on that page, but just seeing rc.conf made me turn it off. SysVinit isn't used in any modern distribution and certain not Arch or Debian (the ones you mentioned).
>>
>>55685510
mine are 30M
>>
Hey guys, I'm the anon from yesterday that was having trouble getting SSH from a public IP working. I still haven't succeeded and wanted to repost my problem in case anybody has any ideas.

Situation: I have a desktop in my local home network and a laptop. I'm using port 7851 as my SSH port on my desktop. I have cleared the 7851/tcp port in ufw and on my modem/router (ARRIS TG862).

When SSH'ing from the local network, everything works peachy. But as soon as I put my laptop on some external network (for testing purposes, my cell phone's internet), when I try SSHing through my network's public IP (which according to the router/modem rule should be forwarded to my Desktop's local IP), it times out.

I ran nmap in my local network and saw 7851/tcp was inded open, but running nmap from the outside network the laptop's on, it says it's "Filtered".

How can I go about fixing this? It's been driving me nuts.

Thanks very much in advance for any ideas you could provide!
>>
Ok so I've logged in via publickey multiple times to my server. It worked well so I turned off password auth.

Now I get permission denied when I try to login with the publickey.

wtf
>>
>>55686234
It sounds like the router isn't forwarding the port still.

Does the router have both "virtual server" and "port forwarding options". Some routers seem to use virtual server as a synonym for port forwarding while others seem to have both options with nearly identical descriptions.
>>
How to block internet access for a specific program? Does Linux have personal firewalls like on Windows for this job?!
>>
i was going to install debian but it looks like shit.
as i never used linux, is there stuff i can do to make it look half decent?
>>
>>55686314
This one has both a "Virtual Server" tab (which is the one in the previous screenshot, that claims it's for forwarding email ports, FTP ports, etc, so I figured SSH also went in there) and a "Port Activation" (not called forwarding for some reason) tab which only asks me for an inbound and outbound port range and whether it's TCP or UDP. I have made another rule for it there using 7851. Still shows it as filtered.

I also found these other two tabs. I don't know if they could have anything to do with it?
>>
>>55685510
42M    /usr/share/man

42M is nothing on a 20000G. Besides, man is comfy.
>>
>>55686365
Hello anon. First things first, I'd advise you take on a more friendly attitude if you wish people to help you out.

Second, you will soon realize that you can make any GNU/Linux distro look however you want it to look. And any two distros can look exactly the same if they're using the same configuration options, DE's, WM's or whatnot. So saying "Debian looks like shit" is the equivalent of saying "this motor looks like shit" when judging the beauty of a car.
>>
>>55686365
>i was going to install debian but it looks like shit.
Don't worry familia, I used to think that as well, but the difference between us is that I actually searched for shit. Install qt and gtk themes to make it better.
I'm on xfce and have:
gtk2-engines-murrine
gtk2-engines-pixbuf
kde-style-oxygen-qt4
kde-style-oxygen-qt5

from the top of my head.
>>
>>55686365
Would you care to show us what you saw that made you think it looked like shit?

Did you see a GNOME desktop? KDE? XFCE? LXDE? Using tiling WM's? What?
>>
>>55686403
uh well sorry for being rude, definitively didn't mean it. and thanks for the help, i'll give it a try
>>
>>55686420
I knew I missed something:
gtk2-engines-xfce
gtk3-engines-xfce

There has to be others I installed as well, but everything looks mostly clean now.
>>
>>55684073
So, I should move to ~/.local/share/Thrash/ instead of using rm?
>>
>>55686456
If you delete something using a file manager, the files go there by default. But if you shift+delete, they are removed permanently (same as rm). It works just the same as in Windows.
>>
>>55684776
I have although is not IT related, but hang out in here because GNU/Linux is my hobby since many years ago.
>>
>>55686002
xinput set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation" 1
xinput set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 2
xinput set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout" 200

This.
>>
Is there a way to install system wide pcf fonts? I'm trying to get tamsyn fonts to work, and they are a bunch of them in the file I've downloaded http://www.fial.com/~scott/tamsyn-font/

I'm confus
>>
>>55686681
Every file manager i have used the past 12 years, you have to enable the trash "feature".
>>
Why I would like to invest my time learning about Linux?
Doeas it have any monetary gain to learn it and install it?
>>
Is there any difference between 'poweroff' 'shutdown -h now' and the other "Turn your computer off" commands?

Do they all basically do the same thing in the same way, or is one more graceful than the other, etc?

I'm kind of puzzled as to why there are so many commands to do the one thing
>>
>>55687074
I guess if you're gonna be hired as a sys admin.
Or if you're gonna be a software developer
Lots of us aren't really in it for the money though
>>
>>55686986
Create a directory ~/.fonts and put your fonts there, then you do:

mkfontdir ~/.fonts
mkfontscale ~/.fonts
xset +fp ~/.fonts
xset fp rehash
fc-cache -fv
>>
Aside from providing a nice login screen, what else does a Display Manager actually do?

Figuring out how well I could do without it while using just i3
>>
>>55687103
You don't need one unless you're going to have multiple users signing in and out of the X session.

just put i3 into .xinitrc
>>
>>55687103
Managing your installed DE/WM sessions.
>>
>>55687094
I need the money I have family to support..
Do yyou recomend me to keep learning to program instead?
Maybe in the future I can learn about linux
>>
>>55687121
Is there any danger in just uninstalling it and setting up .xinitrc to startx right away?

Or is it a painless procedure?
>>
>>55687133
That sounds like a good idea, yeah
>>
>>55687040
I literally just tried it on Nemo, Thunar and Pcmanfm, they all move the file to ~/.local/share/Trash by default.

Suck my dick.
>>
>>55687146
Try starting your desktop from a tty manually, if youre able to manage that, there's no danger.
>>
>>55687133
Depending on what approach to programming you have you could use the knowledge from scripting and/or the Linux system calls.
>>
>>55687164
Thanks
>>
>>55687097
xset +fp ~/.fonts

throws
xset:  bad font path element (#0), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
>>
Please post aliases you use on your bashrc or bash_aliases, I'd like to see what cool stuff you guys have

I'll start with some basic ones I use. I haven't been using Linux for a long time so they're pretty simple so far

alias home='cd ~/'

alias sau='sudo aptitude update'
alias sai='sudo aptitude install'
alias sar='sudo aptitude remove'
alias sap='sudo aptitude purge'
alias sac='sudo aptitude autoclean'
alias safe='sudo aptitude safe-upgrade'
alias full='sudo aptitude full-upgrade'

alias off='sudo poweroff'

alias sup='sau && safe'
alias eyy='sau && full && sac'
alias bye='eyy && off'

alias hs='ssh -p (portnumber) -X 192.168.02'
alias pub='ssh -p (portnumber) -X (external IP)'
>>
>>55687082

If you're using systemd, use "systemctl poweroff". That's the cleanest way to shut down.
>>
>>55687249
Nevermind, solved by doing
sudo rm /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-yes-bitmaps.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-yes-bitmaps.conf

and logout
>>
>>55687451
Why? What's the difference with just sudo poweroff?
>>
>>55687419
More of a script than an alias, pls no bully
#!/bin/bash
# Author: svchost
# Date: 05.24.2016
# Purpose: Moves many files at once

BADARG="165"

if [ $# != 2 ]
then
echo two parameters are required!
exit $BADARG
fi

for file in `ls -A $1`
do
if [ -d $2 ]
then
mv $file $2\/$file
else
mv $file $file.$2
fi
done

#END
>>
>>55687599
Quote your variables or your script will break if filenames have spaces. Also: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
>>
>>55687628
k, thanks for the advice
>>
>>55687495
Maybe a bit late, but:

> Font pasta:

General informations:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts

Huge list of font resources:
https://github.com/brabadu/awesome-fonts

List of monospaced fonts for programming:
https://github.com/chrissimpkins/codeface

List of monospaced bitmap fonts for programming:
https://github.com/Tecate/bitmap-fonts

You may also need to enable bitmap fonts and rebuild the font cache:
rm -v /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf
ln -s ../conf.avail/70-yes-bitmaps.conf .
fc-cache -v -f

Fonts patched with shitloads of icon glyphs:
https://github.com/ryanoasis/nerd-fonts

The Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack:
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/

Premade fontconfigs:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality

Configure your own fontconfig:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration

Read the documentation:
file:///usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
>>
>>55687575

On systemd using distributions, poweroff is just a symlink to systemctl.
Do "ls -l /usr/bin/poweroff". The same applies to "shutdown" too.
>>
>>55687661
Howto pcm fonts, but system wide? As in, not in the ~/.fonts folder, but for all users.
>>
>>55687705
>system wide
/usr/share/fonts/
>>
Anyone here using Conky? I'm having trouble having it autostart. If I start it with .xprofile, it'll start up before the wm and doesn't work correctly. I got it to work a couple of times with (sh -c "sleep 6; conky &), but it doesn't seem to work anymore. Any ideas? I'm using Xfce4 with xfwm and compton, by the way.
>>
>>55687728
I should clarify that now it's not starting at all despite the startup script being run.
>>
>>55687705
Read this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts and you know everything in 5 minutes about fonts.
>>
>>55687728
Maybe you need to give it more time. Try 10 seconds.
>>
File: asfd.jpg (596KB, 1698x1719px) Image search: [Google]
asfd.jpg
596KB, 1698x1719px
>>55687726
I should put the Tamsyn folder in /usr/share/fonts/ then, thanks.
>>
>>55687772
I tried giving it like 15 seconds and it still wasn't running.
>>
>>55687728
>(sh -c "sleep 6; conky &)
Looks like you forgot a quote ".
Also a subshell () isn't needed. Try:
sh -c "sleep 6; conky &"
>>
>>55687810
Oh lol that's it. I must've made that mistake when I adjusted the time. Thanks and sorry for being a dumbass
>>
What's a good light-weight, bare-bones editing software for linux? All I want to do is place the cover art of an album on top of a song to upload it to youtube.
>>
Is there a way to connect my galaxy s7 to GNU/Linux? Does MTP work? All I can find information on is old phones like the galaxy s4.
>>
Could somebody explain to me the differences I would face in privacy-safety when browsing the web with:

-Debian with Firefox and a few addons (Ublock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere)
-Debian with GNU Icecat out of the box
-Debian with Tor Browser
-Tails with default Tor Browser

We can ommit the obvious part about using Tor, I'm just talking about the defaults each browser uses.

Thank you!
>>
>there are people who don't use noScript
>>
>>55688009
stop being a pedo lmao
>>
>>55687996
ffmpeg

>>55688009
Firefox needs a lot of about:config privacy fixes
Afaik GNU Icecat already comes secure
Tor browser is only secure if you dont use javascript and plugins like flash
Tails is secure as long as you download it over https
>>
>>55688048
Anon pls
>>
>>55688054
(and verify checksums)
>>
>>55686380
>UI not in English
Lost interest
>>
>>55688054
>>55688067

Thanks man
>>
>>55688070
I could translate any part, if you wish
If you're just being ebin that's okay too, I understand. Thanks for replying anyway
>>
>>55686234

Either your router isn't forwarding properly like the other anon said or your ISP is doing some fuckery to filter it. Try running a webserver and seeing if the behavior extends to that.

Alternatively, your router seems to have a DMZ option. That should forward all traffic to a computer on the LAN and can be useful for debugging if it's the router or something else.
>>
Install it, faggots: https://github.com/kkapsner/CanvasBlocker
It's good for you.
>>
>>55688033
>there are people who waste their time to write all the scripts we block
>>
>>55688033
I prefer umatrix. Less annoying, works better with (my) brain.
>>
File: njwildberger.jpg (103KB, 335x503px) Image search: [Google]
njwildberger.jpg
103KB, 335x503px
>>55688122
>>
Just installed Linux Mint. Like it, think it's pretty cool. Notice that I can access all my Windows files from it.

Will this cause issues? Does it take up extra memory or whatever? I don't want to port over ally my music, and want to be able to access it on both operating systems.
>>
I want to migrate my passwords from LastPass to KeePass2, as I hear it's the best password manager. I already looked up a guide on how to import them and it seems rather simple

I was just going to ask: are there any extra concerns I should have in mind when managing my KeePass2 stuff that are not usually mentioned in wikis or guides?

>>55688234
Prepare for an avalanche of hate. Don't let it phaze you too much. Mint is fine for starting out. You probably want to move to something better later on though
>>
>>55688234
So you're dual booting?
>Will this cause issues?
Will what cause issues with what?
>Does it take up extra memory?
What does? Accessing your Windows partitions?
>>
>>55688093
Your humbleness made me regain interest

Are you 100% sure the lan IP is the right one for port forwarding? Check ip addr show. And what's the checkmark next to the port forwarding rule in the servidores virtuales screenshot? Did (physically) reboot your router after adding the port forwarding?
>>
>>55688266
I'm 100% sure the LAN IP's are correct. I even set them fixed to be 192.168.0.2 for my desktop and 192.168.0.3 for my laptop so they're always like that. I can connect to local SSH with no issues

The checkmark next to the port forwarding rules is just for selecting if you want to remove some rule and then deleting it.

I'm gonna go physically reboot the router again. I did that yesterday but I guess there's no harm in trying again. Brb

>>55688097
I'll check this out after I do this, thank you
>>
>>55687999
Noone knows? It's the only thing preventing me from reformatting as GNU/Linux.
>>
I asked this question some months ago

why cant I install any linux distro on computers with a broken gpu.. my shitty hp laptop has a broken amd gpu and my father has a broken nvidia gpu
no matter which os I try, the boot always fails, on my laptop I get tons of errors which say something about the amd card, on the other pc the screen becomes colourfull

my refurbished chinkpad works fine with different linux os
>>
>>55688444
>Broken GPU
Well, why don't you just go to your BIOS and disable the GPU, so it only uses the Integrated Graphics on your CPU?
>>
>>55687999
Sorry, I know nothing about Android phones, but I'm sure some other anon will be able to help
>>
File: IMG_20160721_135643.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160721_135643.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
Can someone help me figure out why pic related happens when I startx into enlightenment on Arch? I get the feeling it's an X11-config issue, but I'm not experienced enough to know the keywords to search.

Basically enlightenment starts at the correct resolution, but in an X11 window, and every window I open after that has to be manually placed with the mouse. Also the pic related error message is "Cannot launch XWayland from X11 display", in case the picture isn't clear enough. Sorry for potato quality, I can't screenshot with it like this
>>
>>55688266
>>55688374
Yeah, rebooting doesn't seem to do anything for me. I guess I'll keep trying other things. Thanks though
>>
>>55688471
lel my bios (laptop) doesnt have such options
>>
>>55688735
Are you sure? I've literally never seen a laptop with a dedicated GPU that didn't have the option to switch to integrated GPU in the BIOS, and I've seen a lot of laptops
>>
>>55688263
Yes. Accessing the windows partitions.
>>
>>55688555
Also this is after uninstalling xfce4, if that makes any difference
>>
>>55688815
No, it shouldn't cause issues. Although maybe be careful that you don't write anything to the windows partitions, just do read-only stuff. And if you do want to modify something, copy it over to the linux partition to be safe. Windows is rather anal about that kind of stuff. Doesn't take extra memory either, because it's in your same system. So it's just a matter of mounting the windows partition whlie on Linux and you're in business.

So if you're for example going to listen to mp3's stored in your windows partition from linux, that's totally fine, you don't have to copy them. Again, as long as you don't *write* anything, you're ok
>>
I'm using Mozc with in Gnome Shell (through iBus) as an IME, but whenever I reboot it defaults to the "Direct Input" input mode rather than Hiragana and it's rather annoying to have to switch every time.

How do I make change the default?
>>
Best terminal emulator
and how to make it cuter
>>
>>55688952
install gentoo
>>
>>55688952
The one I'm using
with my settings
>>
>>55688970
>>
>>55688970
Same here.
>>
>>55688910
You can't. It's annoying but that's just the way it is. They have it set up for actual japanese people who have a button on their keyboard to switch it. For some reason you can't change that button in the settings. It's so annoying, I know. Just switch between english and japanese with I think it is mod+space, right?. Change it to hiragana everytime you reboot.
>>
>>55688979
How do you know that you like his settings/emulator? I know them and they are shit. Mine are the best.
>>
>>55688952
rxvt-unicode

urxvt*transparent:true
urxvt*background:Black
urxvt*foreground: #DDDDDD
urxvt*scrollBar:false
urxvt*borderWidth:0
urxvt*font: xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:size=8
urxvt*shading:25
urxvt*cursorBlink:true
urxvt*keysym.M-1: command:\033]710;xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:size=8\007
urxvt*keysym.M-2: command:\033]710;xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:size=10\007
urxvt*keysym.M-3: command:\033]710;xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12\007
urxvt*color12: RoyalBlue
>>
>>55689021
Fuck you two, MINE are clearly objectively superior.
>>
>>55689019
That explains why I couldn't find a way to change it. Well, thanks anon. That's real annoying.
>>
>>55689027
>>55689033
Just like looking at examples its how i learn
>>
So, I'm using ffmpeg to make videos using a song and the album cover of the album.

ffmpeg -i song.mp3 -i cover.jpg video.mp4

How could I systematically parse the file names of the songs that are in one directory and keep changing the output video name so I don't have to manually change the input audio path and the name of the video output?
>>
>>55689035
If you're on Arch fcitx-mozc is better. But only available on arch.
>>
>>55689044
go on youtube and look up Urxvt starter guide
>>
>>55689048
try

for i in *mp3; do
ffmpeg -i "$i" -i cover.jpg "$i".mp4
done
>>
I'm having trouble launching Velox WM.
I'm using Arch with Wayland and I can launch Weston and Sway. When I type Velox in the terminal, it says:

Velox Window Manager
FATAL: Could not open display

** Cleaning Up Modules **

I'm new to Wayland, coming from Xorg. I followed the Arch wiki as much as I could but obviously goofed somewhere. Any ideas?
>>
>>55689048
for file in *.mp3;
do
ffmpeg -i $file -i cover.jpg ${file:0:-4}.mp4;
done;
>>
>>55689125
This will break when filenames contain spaces.
Always quote variables.
>>
>>55689048
You maybe also want to look into:
-loop 1, -shortest and -tune stillimage
>>
>>55689083
There is no reason to use wayland, it is not even enthusist level usage.
>>
>>55688249
KeePass2 is written in Mono, there are several concerns about it as it is based on .NET, with all that implies, also the database is not that good.

Better use KeePassX, which is the better alternative. It has autocomplete, a CLI utility (kpcli), and you can use KeePassDroid with it.
>>
>>55688734
>>55688266
>>55688374
>>55688097
I am starting to suspect it's my ISP doing some fuckery with it.

I already checked the DMZ option as well and it's still showing the ports as filtered.

In fact, I went ahead and did an nmap of a bunch of different ports. Does this look weird to you?

Host is up (0.0042s latency).
PORT STATE SERVICE
1/tcp filtered tcpmux
15/tcp filtered netstat
16/tcp filtered unknown
17/tcp filtered qotd
18/tcp filtered unknown
19/tcp filtered chargen
20/tcp filtered ftp-data
21/tcp open ftp
22/tcp filtered ssh
23/tcp filtered telnet
24/tcp filtered priv-mail
25/tcp filtered smtp
26/tcp filtered rsftp
27/tcp filtered nsw-fe
28/tcp filtered unknown
29/tcp filtered msg-icp
30/tcp filtered unknown
80/tcp filtered http
2222/tcp filtered EtherNetIP-1
7851/tcp filtered unknown
8080/tcp filtered http-proxy
9999/tcp filtered abyss
>>
>>55689527
cgNAT?
>>
File: fail.png (49KB, 261x212px) Image search: [Google]
fail.png
49KB, 261x212px
>>55689083
>using meme wayland
>FATAL error
>>
>>55688249
Password managers over the last few years have been getting hacked or losing their masterkey

You dont need a password generator.
Becuase it is passworded by a password you remember.
Why not just remember passwords?
>>
>>55689537
I don't know, how can I check?
>>
>>55689566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-RbOKanYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjQ9b3pgIg
For shame, anon.
>>
>>55689527
Why is port 21 open? Is that an external scan?
>>
>>55689578
I don't think there really is an easy way anon. That nmap output is kinda a pretty good indicator, but might also mean that some kind of software firewall is blocking stuff(I haven't read your previous posts, sorry). If you're absolutely sure that no firewall is in place by you, it pretty much means that you're either getting NAT'd or your ISP employs their own firewall for customers(unlikely)
>>
>>55689593
>db full of 256 alpha-numeric passwords
>passwor to access ab
>bubbles
>my cat
>>
>>55689537
Jesus christ any ISP that does this can go get fucked by an etherkiller.
>>
>>55689566
>generalizing
>assuming password generators are the same than password managers
>advice the memorization of either forgetable or crackable passwords
>>
>>55689566
>>55689645
>not using pass or keepassx which don't have retarded web services
>>
I wanted to try linux so i thought i'd do it in a VM like OP suggests

>try arch
>get to the first screen with all the options(instal arch, memtest etc)
>keyboard doesn't work in it at all
>try mint
>automatic boot in 10 seconds...
>it just stays there, never counts down and nothing happens

help
>>
File: password_strength.png (91KB, 740x601px) Image search: [Google]
password_strength.png
91KB, 740x601px
>>55689645
>important passwords are unique 48+ alpha-numeric
>everything else dosent matter use one password

http://correcthorsebatterystaple.net/
>>
>>55689285
>>55689553
Why is it so hyped up then? Nothing works even when following the wikis. XWayland doesn't do shit. Seems like it requires a lot more programming knowledge than using Xorg. Maybe I'll just go back to Xorg, shit was so easy.
>>
>>55689050
>But only available on arch
Ubuntu has it.
I've been using fcitx for quite some time because ibus is making some problems with held keys.
>>
>>55689606
Yes, this is a scan from my laptop in an external network (my cellphone's hotspot). It seems to be open by default, I did not enable it in ufw or in my router/modem.

>>55689617
Summary: I use ufw and allowed ports 22 and 7851. I set my SSH to 7851. I can access everything perfectly in the local network. When I go outside though, the connection times out and the ports appear filtered. I enabled both 22 and 7851 in my router/modem options and directed it to my server's private IP, but that didn't do anything.

I DID see this option in the WAN settings saying
>NAT Mode
-Bridged
-RoutedwithNAT
-RoutedWithoutNAT

I already tried all three and nothing changed. The default was "RoutedwithNAT"

In my settings I appear to have a dynamic IP, but I've noticed that when I reset my router, the IP never changes. Is this a symptom of a NAT applied by my ISP?

I'm losing my mind here. Is there any way I could circumvent their NAT if this is the case? I'm fairly new to networking, so I'm sorry if the questions sound naive
>>
>>55689685
Try Fedora.
>>
>>55689689
>Using some shitty website based off of a dumb xkcd comic instead of just using diceware
For what purpose?
>>
>>55689689
You didn't watch the videos, did you
Go watch them, they reference exactly this
>>
>>55689708
The small vocal hipster group is throwing it around like it is gods latest program.
>>
File: the-cloud.jpg (336KB, 2146x1608px) Image search: [Google]
the-cloud.jpg
336KB, 2146x1608px
>>55689675
>trusting in "the cloud"
>>55689689
>believing you can use 48 length passwords everywhere
>>
>>55689722
Math and facts do not lie friend.

>>55689733
Im not wasting 20 minutes of my name on some random video, which i dont give a fuck about.
Math does not lie
>>
>>55689753
>Math and facts
>The video is precisely about math and facts

lol, ok then
>>
>>55689708
>Why is it so hyped up then?
Now that is the question. Or better yet, WHO is doing all the hype? And for what purpose.
>>
>>55689738
My bank,hmo,company,paypal,western union, all have unique passwords. None of which require a broken hacked program to remember

I dont give a fuck if little timmy hacks my forum accounts
>>
>>55689715
On the router config page, is the WAN IP the same as the one you're scanning, or did you get that by searching "what's my ip".

If those two IPs are different then your ISP is doing some NAT fuckery and you should burn their headquarters down.
>>
>>55689779
Red Hat/NSA and for the same purposes as the systemd deepthroating.
>>
>>55689753
>>Math and facts do not lie friend.
You're missing my point ENTIRELY.

Diceware did this before this shit meme site.
>>
>>55689779
>WHO is doing all the hype?
Redhat
>>
>>55689787
>bank,hmo,company,paypal,western union
What are your passwords for these?

They're probably not as secure as you think.
>>
>>55689809
>>55689819
Is nothing surprising for companies to have "troll centers", as they are called in my country. Mr President over here has one and has been denounced by a journalist (and another tv start), so why should be any surprising Red Hat does that too? We know Microsoft did (halloween documents).
>>
>>55689828
Why would i type my passwords on a website that datamines its posts and associates an ip to them?
Why would i type my passwords on a website, when my isp is required by the goverment to hold my traffic for 2 years?

They dont contain any personal information that could be guessed. They do not contain any daily use information that could be guessed.

exp:
4chanmootcockmonglerpeopleschampion
>>
>>55689789
If I look for my IP online, I get A

Under WAN settings, where it says "Enable DHCP" in Dynamic Configuration, the IP there says B

Under Firewall settings, in DMZ config it shows the WAN IP as B

If I nmap A or B, I get the exact same results

Game over, man? Can I do anything or am I jolly well fucked? Not really in a position to change ISP at the moment. (They're Cablevision in Mexico if anyone is interested in knowing to avoid them)
>>
>>55689916
You're pretty fucked anon.
>>
>>55689720
why?
>>
>>55689996
In addition, maybe you could call them and ask for them to remove NAT. They might ask for an extra fee or something, or they might refuse altogether. You're at the discretion of your ISP. If they refuse, or want an outrageous amount, I would change ISPs.
>>
How secure is my HDD crypto password, /fglt/?

(weird-foreign-first-name-but-not-of-anyone-i-know)(1 digit number)(uncommon english word)(symbol)(uncommon english word)(symbol) = 20 characters long. at least one letter in each word is capitalized

And how secure is this master passphrase?

(weird-foreign-last-name-but-not-of-anyone-i-know)(4 digit number that is not associated with me)(unrelated-long-uncommon-phrase-in-foreign-language)(two symbols) = 30 characters. some words have at least one letter capitalized.

I figure this is sane enough, but I'll let you judge. They're both easy to remember for me, and the second locks my whole password database of random strings of 20 characters
>>
>>55689916
>>55689996

Looks pretty bleak.

You could try opening it as a hidden service through tor or via a VPN service (should be safe enough if you set up ssh properly).
>>
>>55685656
should have used adduser then visudo.
>>
Hello, I have an intel 4965 AG wifi card and I'm using xubuntu. It's supposed to have open drivers, but xubuntu can't find my wifi card if I run lspci or ifconfig. What's going on? Is firmware missing?
>>
>>55690022
ieatmymomsmeatloafbecauseitmakesherhappy
>>
>>55690055
meat loaf is good Why wouldn't you eat it? Like seriously it's one of the best foods in the world. I never understood how anyone could dislike it.
>>
>>55690055
Freud called anon, he wants to analyze you because of your password
>>
>>55686288
add -vvv to see what is going on

hope you didn't pass the fail2ban threshold. this is why you test if it works when you fuck around with ssh/sshd_config before logging out completely
>>
Can someone indicate me some good looking themes for xfce? Getting tired of Greybird/Arc.
>>
>>55690123
There really are no 3.20 themes out still
>>
>>55687999
yeah my s7 worked with fedora and ubuntu.

i mean why wouldn't it in the first place, but are loonix devices, and easier to deal with the drivers on a gnu/linux machine than a windows one when it comes to android devices
>>
>>55690166
This really bugs me. I just want something bland but prettier than Greybird, the grey is depressing.
>>
Anyone tried to add launchpad ppa's to Debian? How? Does it work well with jessie?
>>
Why can't xubuntu find my wifi card? It doesn't list it.
>>
Was wondering if I can set MPD as a UPnP server to play files from, say, my TV. Didn't find much on the search engine. Can I use MPD or should I get another package to manage this?
>>
>>55689738
>>trusting in "the cloud"
you idiot, pass and keepassx are local fucking password managers/generators.

and if your adversary has gotten into your machine, you'd be fucked either way.
>>
>>55682439
Try using the passwd program from the cli
>>
>>55690231
pretty sure it gives you a guide on how to manually add the repo to your source.list.

but since they are ubuntu, probably the distribution argument will fug up your attempts.

anything package in particular you are trying to get?
>>
>>55685702
http://www.securitronlinux.com/bejiitaswrath/how-to-create-a-new-user-on-linux-and-add-a-password-in-one-go/
>>
>>55690331
ppa:transmissionbt/ppa for transmission and ppa:jd-team/jdownloader for memedownloader, and also playdeb.
>>
>>55686334
Not really, I think iptables has a pid matching module but what you want to do would probably be better done by starting the program up in a new network namespace. They are less of helpers and frameworks that can do this but the most basic is to make a new ns with e.g. ip netns new foo then to start a program on it ip netns exec foo bash, make sure you switch to your user instead of root before starting the thing
>>
I'm trying to run compton and it's just not having it. When I try to run it, it says another composite manager is already running, but after I ran it with the transition flag, the transitions started happening. Window transparency still won't work. All I want is window transparency so I can be hip among the other neets in /g/.
>>
>>55690391
yeah looks like it's just ubuntu on both those ppas, figured as much.

you could probably backport the testing/unstable versions of these and be ok, the debian wiki has a good page on how to do it, search for that.

worst case scenario would be having to compile them, but debian and debs are popular enough that with some digging you can get them somehow
>>
>>55690497
For jdownloader I have the old way I use https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=54725
which is basically
wget http://privatelink.de/?http://installer.jdownloader.org/JD2Setup_x64.sh
chmod u+x JD2Setup_x64.sh
./JD2Setup_x64.sh
>>
Installing Fedora on a Thinkpad X201, should I go with the XFCE spin or will the default DE not be a significant resource drain
>>
>>55690564
eh doesn't seem terribly secure, but that's the big open secret no one wants to really deal with.

>>55690643
can run gnome 3 on my x200, but after checking out MATE, i haven't turned back. you can try it and see how it goes anyway.
>>
>>55690695
I see acetoneiso is not available in the Debian I'm installing, can I just mount iso archives? There are no other applications that can do this.
>>
>>55690747
Nevermind, checked.
>>
>>55690254
use minidlna
>>
Im new here a lot of people seem to hate unity
can some one explain why and give me better alternatives
>>
>>55685773
Hmmm... And how should I read you? An asshole?
>>
>use lubuntu because it just werks
>emulators work just fine
>try to play terraria
>CPU usage fuckery
Its the drivers, right? My computer ran games just fine before changing my OS
>>
>>55689689
LC_ALL=C grep '^[a-z]\+$' /usr/share/dict/words | shuf --random-source=/dev/urandom -n 4 | paste -s -d-
>>
How do I tell firefox to youse my font(terminus) so i can see the moonrunes. i can see them in the top but not on the page
>>
>>55691445
You need a glyphed font(term isnt one)
>>
>>55691488
so even if i told firefox to display everything in terminus it would still show the boxes?
>>
>>55691509
Correct.
>>
>>55691514
ty, i guess i had it mistaken because once in a desktop thread i saw some anon with terminus on 4chan but it could have just been 4chanX or something
>>
>>55691220
Probably game optimization. Terraria runs fine for me but that might be because my computers are better.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-07-20_21-43-37.png (2MB, 3520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-07-20_21-43-37.png
2MB, 3520x1080px
>>55686365
This is a Debian desktop.
>>
>>55690858
Thanks.
>>
>>55691647
are you impying that looks good in any way
>>
File: snapshot18.png (687KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot18.png
687KB, 1920x1080px
>>55686365
This too.
>>
>>55691666
It has animu tho...
>>
Hi guys, if I wanna dual boot linux and windows how much space will I need for linux?
>>
I'm trying to get wine running. I have tried three games.

What are you supposed to do when it asks you to insert the disk when installing from a disk image? In winecfg I added an entry that points to where it's mounted but it doesn't detect it. The symlink is there.
>>
>>55691647
Delete this
>>
>>55691548
get this shit here http://wenq.org/wqy2/index.cgi?BitmapSong_en
>>
>>55690123
Try vertex, it looks nice
https://github.com/horst3180/vertex-theme
>>
>>55691761
Did you check appdb for those games?
>>
>>55692109
Yes, some I want to play are pretty unknown. asairo works, fraternite works if manually installed and Devil on the G-string installs, but requires the disk to start, which it can't detect.
>>
>>55689872
>>55689819
>>55689809
Seriously? What's wrong with Wayland? It's just not ready for average use yet.
>>
Best tiling wm for debian? (a stable one)
>>
File: download.jpg (3KB, 233x216px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3KB, 233x216px
Hey i just install linux mint on a late old macbook and i mostly use it for programming and virtual box stuff so do i need an antivirus program for my macbook eventhough it only has linux mint on it?
>>
>>55692403
No, though if you're really paranoid install Clamav and scan every week or so.
>>
Just finished installing arch but grub won't read my /boot/grub/grub.cfg, it just loads up its shitty shell and i have to select hte kernel/shit from there. I can boot into my main system but how do I get grub to work with my config file?
>>
>>55692519
edit your grub so it isnt shit?
Use UUID
>>
>>55692519
do you have a conifg file? if not generate one else generate a new one and start praying to rms
>>
>>55692519
>>55692523
nah actually I just had to regenerate my grub cfg, was retarded and didn't generate it with the kernel in the right place
>>
>>55692380
The one I'm using.
>>
>>55692583
Is it awesome?
>>
>>55692595
Absolutly.
>>
if you know lua -> awesome
if you know haskell -> xmonad
if you know C -> dwm
if you know lisp -> stumpwm
else -> i3 herbstluftwm bspwm

"if you know" could be replaced with "if you are willing to learn" for very ambitious people.
>>
File: 1468288147945.gif (674KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
1468288147945.gif
674KB, 245x180px
>>55692685
>>
>>55692695
wmutils is pretty cool too for people who love scripting
>>
>>55692695
Neat way of recommending them, glad I asked.
(I'll check how basic things are done in each and try them)

>>55692726
What do you mean?
>>
File: bouncing heavy.gif (2MB, 350x315px) Image search: [Google]
bouncing heavy.gif
2MB, 350x315px
>>55692696
the only thing that can install easily except for ubuntu because for some odd reason late 2008 macbooks have issues with every OS , couldn't even with kali for some dumb fucking reason. Mac is basically that clingy girlfriend that won't leave you alone or try to limit you all the way when dealing with installing OS's
>>
>>55692695
fluxbox
>>
>>55692744
https://wmutils.io/
>>
How hard is to install jack in debian? I mean from netinstall.
>>
Im going to buy a braswell chromebook which probably will never be able to boot anything except chrome due to lack of uefi gop in seabios.
So how bad is chromeos with crouton compared to generic linux distros? In crouton wiki they do everything manually which is a bit alarming.
>>
>>55692900
how to install what?
>>
>>55693065
Jack audio server. I want to install and configure it.
>>
>>55681748
There was a distro that managed programs similar to windows, I can't remember its name, does anyone know?

What I mean is instead of putting everything separately in different directories it put everything under a folder with the name of the program.
>>
Is Kali Linux a decent beginner distro.

Also are drivers for amd rx 480 any good? And finally how is steam support and wine these days?

If it's good I'll fuckin switch come my next build.
>>
>>55693210
Guaranteed replies.
>>
>>55693210
>Is Kali Linux a decent beginner distro.
Where do people get this idea? This question is asked far too often. And people actually do it.
>>
>>55693241
Just one that pops up a lot.
>>
>>55693210
>>55693252
Just use debian if you don't want Ubuntu or Mint.
>>
>>55693210
Kali is a good distro but there are some defaults which aren't good for starters like networking/bluetooth is disabled by default, root as default user, etc. More about the differences: http://docs.kali.org/introduction/should-i-use-kali-linux
>>
>>55693279
Thx. A real answer is appreciated.

Just tired of Windows and the telemetry Bullshit.
>>
new thread: >>55693288
>>
>>55683161
Are the games just wine wrappers?
>>
>>55689753
You're full of shit. You think it becomes all words to the power of the amount of them? It would take forever as well. There are some rules and quirks they can follow that even breaks the little correct horse battery staple
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.