/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's going to flop harder, Vega or Zen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: amd_s.jpg (52KB, 568x612px) Image search: [Google]
amd_s.jpg
52KB, 568x612px
What's going to flop harder, Vega or Zen?
>>
Nvidia's stock once DX12 becomes big
>>
Vega

I can already see the less than GTX 1080 performance after Nvidia releases the GTX 1080 Ti.
>>
>>55655652
>implying the certified shitwrecker will flop
>>
>>55655664
I'm hoping Microsoft's stock once Vulkan becomes big. I can only wish...
>>
>>55655652
Vega

Hands down.
>>
Zen obviously, intel are already moving to 10nm

Vega has priority on HBM supply so it will beat Nvidias response out the gate yet again.
>>
File: Coming Soon.png (52KB, 400x152px) Image search: [Google]
Coming Soon.png
52KB, 400x152px
>>55655652

Vega. Zen just needs to be good enough to saturate a decent GPU to become a sales success. Vega needs to compete against Pascal and Polaris shows that AMD's 14nm design is running too hot and performing terribly per watt compared to Pascal. Vega is going to be Fury v.2 where AMD has to slap HBM2 on it and watercool it to even get within 20FPS of whatever nVidia will wreck it with.
>>
>>55656011
>Nvidia wrecking it
Just like how the Fury X fucking destroys anything Nvidia has to offer in Vulkan?

You Nvidiafags do realize DX11 is outdated, right? You guys act like by supporting an old api instead of moving on Nvidia's somehow going to do better
>>
>>55656111

I agree, nVidia is surprisingly poor in Vulkan. However, their 16nm design is much better per watt which leaves them a lot of headroom to workaround this using the same method AMD used with Fury: overclock the shit out of it and hope for the best.

nVidia certainly could have killed Radeon this month if Pascal was as good on the nextgen APIs as it is on DX11.
>>
>>55655652
Zen is hyped to be +40% IPC, Skylake already has +50% IPC. Who knows what Canonlake will bring to the table.
Vega will be just like Polaris, not bad, not good, just "meh".
>>
File: shrug.jpg (23KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23KB, 500x310px
>>55655652
There's a market for server CPUs
There's not a big market for expensive GPUs which can only show good performance on games which are not out yet.

Both Nvidia and AMD seem to have only fucking dud cards out at this time.

>Poolaris DX11 performance
>Jewskal DX12 performance
Why even buy this crap?
Just wait for cards which aren't shit. If you need a card that badly just buy whatever. They're shit. You'll have to live with it.
>>
>>55656011
I am still getting a toasty $400 fury, it will play all my games nevermind that it has to watercool, that's completely fine
>>
>>55656882
...so buy a fury?
>>
>>55655652
I really just hope beyond hope that Zen is better than my current Haswell. I'd love to be able to get a true 8-core CPU for less than what Intel charges for.

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm more than prepared for the worst. Chances are my next full rebuild will probably be a Skylake-E or later generation, but I'd absolutely love for AMD to convince me otherwise.
>>
>>55655652
i think both will after we saw the 480 unfold,
sure its better in a pants to head insanely optimised vulcan nobody gonna optimise to that degree again and better in some dx12 game if you ahve async but I don´t think dx12 or vulcan gonna be relevant in the next 2-3yrs so welp might as well buy the 2nd gen or vidia or amd then.
atm nvidia also thinks the same, why build for something nobody supports yet appart from a very few games, its just not worth the R&D money. The 20XX gen of nvidia will show us what they can do with dx12/vulcan most likely.
And Zen is so overhyped already its gonna be a huge disappointment, I don´t think amd gonna be close at all to intel and try to go for the bang for buck way but its not gonna give amd that much marketshare.
Amd gonna gain maybe more 2yrs off not going bankrupt with zen and 2-3 with their gpus... they will do what they did the last few years. Die very slow because they don´t have the R&D money to develop better tech like vidia or intel sadly because with equal money they would be better im pretty sure.

my 2cents
>LOL SHILL >>>/trash/ >>>/out/
its ok i can live with that
>>
>>55655652
Zen.

http://lomand.xyz/websolutions
>>
>>55655709
>intel
>10nm

Kaby Lake in 2017 is 14nm.
Coffee Lake in 2018 is still 14nm.

Cannon Lake launching in 2018 is ultra mobile only, nothing but low TDP SKUs.
If AMD adopts the SOI FinFET process IBM is using for POWER9 through GloFO then intel has no process advantage by any metric.

>>55658076
Theres nothing wrong with how the RX 480 performs. Polaris 10 is a cheap, simple die, made to be cheap and have high margins. All of your post is gross ignorance.
>>
>>55658001
Fury was on sale for $275 this morning. Was ready to stomp kittens when I missed it. $225 1060 ain't too bad though.
>>
>>55658116
What is that site anyway? A joke take on a phishing site?
>>
File: 1439518411328.gif (1MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1439518411328.gif
1MB, 720x480px
>>55658152
ASS

AND WHERE IS THE 225 1060 FUCK

anyway since this sale happened once can we expect it again or should I just wait for Vega?

thinking of going 1440p anyway
>>
>>55655690
DX12 and Vulkan are literally the same though, so not much chance for that.
>>
>>55658116
I don't have noscript am i fugged?
>>
>>55658178
Call the number and see who answers lol.
>>
>>55658184
Yeah, it was a sapphire nitro too.

Don't think you can get the $25 off the 1060 anymore, seeing as it isn't in stock.
>>
>>55658260
What was the occasion?

this shit must come up again!
>>
>>55658260
tri-x not nitro, oops
>>
>>55656227
>Skylake already has +50% IPC

Yeah, compared to a Pentium fucking 4. They haven't had anything more than 3-5% IPC increase per generation ever since Sandy Bridge. Even if you add that up per every generation, it still doesn't come out to more than a total of 20-30% better IPC - and most of that increase is only applied to shit like AVX opcodes, which is used by maybe 2 games.
>>
>>55658274
I would have bought that and I have a Tri-X 290 in my PC right now
>>
>>55658285
He probably meant vs Excavator, which is ballpark accurate when not factoring FPU heavy workloads.
Excavator vs Haswell in X265 transcoding is 80%~ slower per clock.
>>
>>55655709
>Vega has priority on HBM supply so it will beat Nvidias response out the gate yet again.

It won't since they'll drop the ball and do something ridiculously idiotic like still only including 64 ROPs, bottlenecking the metric fuckton of shaders just like with the Fury. It'll be between 1070 and 1080 at best, and Nvidia can just drop prices on everything and have the 1080 destroy Vega in price/performance.

Unless Vega launches at something like $300, it'll be mediocre at best.

And I'm saying this as a guy who used Radeon cards for the past ten years. I'd buy NVidia now, but they have monopoly on the high end cards, so they can charge whatever asinine amount of money they want for their cards.
>>
>>55655664
in 3 years when they would've already had a better card?
>>
>>55658190
>literally the same
>im a misinformed moron
>microsoft and an open standard all the same right?
>>
>>55656111
>vulkan
>2 years into development
>Literally no games use it because consoles won't use new APIs until at least the next generation which comes at the earliest in 2017 holidays
Kek, by that time the new nvidia arch will blow
>>
>>55655690
never happen until we get down to 3 linux distros maximum. and since that will ever happen linux will always suck. nobody will properly get their shit together and focus on overall betterment of the OS. And that will never happen because there is little to no financial incentive to do so.

And their will never be incentive outside of servers because " muh open source freedom" commie bullshit which of course has nothing to do with actual freedom so much as dogged ideological pursuit regardless of cost.

look linux will never get better...ive been waiting over a fucking decade for it to get better.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.