[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 28

File: 1460379149407.jpg (74KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
1460379149407.jpg
74KB, 640x478px
Previously on: >>55638901

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/713097# - /t/'s GNU/Linux Vidyo Thread
>>>/t/707928# - /t/'s GNU/Linux Vidya Thread
>>
>>55650765
>Adblock
Use Ublock Origin
Also HTTPS Everywhere

As for the rest of your question: the problem is that Windows has exponentially more attack vectors than GNU/Linux. There's all sorts of clever attacks that can root your computer and run malware against your will, they don't even have to be zero days. And Anti-virus software isn't impenetrable, far from it. One common example to spread ransomware are Microsoft Word macros. And there was an exploit back in the day (like in 2006) that rooted your computer if you loaded a fucking icon (.ico) file. So that's the level of vulnerability we're talking about. Windows is broken code built on top of broken code. Not even the Microsoft devs know the shitstorm they're dealing with.

Attacks on Linux that try to root your computer simply don't happen. The system is hard built to always require admin permissions either through the root user or the sudo command for temporary permissions. To get malware on Linux, you have to willingly install it yourself.
>>
>>55650815
OP, do you have loads of these images premade, or do you make a new one yourself for every thread?
>>
>>55650867
Thanks for answering.

So do you mean,

1. That hackers can remotely install malware on a Windows laptop even if I only use a limited user account all the time? (along with all the measures I mentioned in my original post.)

2. Do you mean Linux is simply more secure because it is less common? Or is its structure inherently more secure than Windows? (I'm guessing both are the case. I'd like to know which factor is more critical to enhancing Linux's security.)

If the first factor is the principal reason why people recommend Linux for security, I have got to say I am not impressed. I would like to know if there are fundamental structural difference between Linux and Windows that makes Linux a inherently more secure operating system.

>The system is hard built to always require admin permissions either through the root user or the sudo command for temporary permissions.
Isn't only using a limited account on Windows basically the same thing? You log in as either administrator (root user of linux) or enter admin password in prompt windows as a limited user for temporary permissions (the sudo command of linux)
I don't see why they are different.
>>
What are some good resources to learn about setting up a server? Should I just searx and go have a look at a few links?
>>
>>55651017
Not him but after a while on /g/ they build up and there are a few people that usually create OPs for /fglt/ once the old one reaches the limit. A good starting point is to wget the entirety of rms.sexy
>>
>>55651080
By disabling Flash and Java, you're certainly reducing your attack surface, but you're still vulnerable simply by being on Windows and relying on an anti-virus when push comes to shove. You're downloading installers for programs over the web, putting an awful lot of trust into this random guy for his exe to not fuck up your computer (and more often than not, no one can even audit his code because it's propietary and he's just giving you a binary and no source code released). If your system is compromised by malware (that got in through an install of something, through a USB, through a macro, through absolutely any of the many vulnerabilities you could have) and it roots your system, you're screwed. Any malicious agent can do what he wants on your machine in the background because he's got you, figuratively, by the balls.

Linux is simply more secure because it was designed from the ground up to follow strict user permission systems. Windows only adopted it and morphed itself into having user permissions until much later in its versions. So they're always going to be vulnerable to exploits that allow malicious users to circumvent them without the little pop up of "user acccount control" appearing for you. The fact that it's less common is only incidental, but sure, that provides a certain buffer as well. Any script kiddy with the right tools can get into a Windows machine. You have to have some serious knowledge to trick someone into compromising his Linux machine.
>>
>>55651163
What kind of server is it? Reading some administration books helps.
>>
>>55651207

Pretty basic, just to act as a Dropbox sort of thing (fileserver?- I think seafile is suitable for this), to stream video to my laptop/phone (I hear VLC can do this but I need to investigate), act as a Vpn and be a NAS basically, so not exactly really high tech stuff but I'm pretty new to Linux
>>
>>55651282
Well some distros have metapackages for webserver stuff. You should look into kodi, openvpn and owncloud(I think it is called differently now).
Vlc can do it, mpv can too.
>>
>>55651204
You are really helpful. Thank you for educating me.

>you're downloading installers for programs over the web, putting an awful lot of trust into this random guy for his exe to not fuck up your computer (and more often than not, no one can even audit his code because it's propietary and he's just giving you a binary and no source code released).
But how is installing .deb files different to this?

>If your system is compromised by malware (that got in through an install of something, through a USB, through a macro, through absolutely any of the many vulnerabilities you could have)
Are you saying that these vulnerabilites are not present in Linux? What aspect of Linux neutralizes them?

>Any malicious agent can do what he wants on your machine in the background because he's got you, figuratively, by the balls.
Let's say I just accidentally installed a malicious application on Ubuntu by running a .deb file. Are you saying that this app cannot sit in the background and do shady stuff unlike in Windows? Is it the sandbox feature that is preventing the malware from wreaking havoc?

>o they're always going to be vulnerable to exploits that allow malicious users to circumvent them without the little pop up of "user acccount control" appearing for you.
Have there been any examples of this happening? Do they happen often or rarely and your assumption is theoretical?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-19_13-57-11.png (1MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-19_13-57-11.png
1MB, 1360x768px
Whats a good xfce theme? The default one is meh.
>>
>>55651386
>But how is installing .deb files different to this?
It isn't; don't download .deb files from random untrusted sites.
>>
>>55651386
>But how is installing .deb files different to this?
Downloading an .exe from some web page on the internet is granting them a lot of trust, because typically (unless it's an open source project) no one apart from them can see the source code. An analogy could be: let's say you have a friend who is sort of notorious for withholding information. He asks if one of his buddies can crash at your place, and he vouches for him. He says his buddy will cook for you in exchange for the couch while he's at your place or something. When you go to work, you're trusting that this buddy guy is only going to stay on the couch, in the kitchen cooking, and maybe doing harmless activities like watching TV. You're trusting he's not going to go through you house looking for valuables. That's the amount of trust you're putting into your friend and by consequence, his buddy.

In GNU/Linux, distros offer official repositories that exist for this very issue. Repositories curate packages, hundreds of people review their code and maintain/patch it to fit the distro. You're not trusting your friend, in this case. It's like your trusting your whole hometown vouching for this guy AND you can read his buddy's mind, because he's transparent. You can install .deb packages outside the official repositories, sure, but unless you trust the uploader, you don't have the same level of security. Installing software directly from the internet is therefore seen as an insecure and bad practice, not to be done often if you can help it.

Continuing in next post
>>
Posted this in the previous thread but I was too late -

Hi all. Want to install a distro on my desktop for some software development, shitposting and VM stuff. I'd also like to try a hardware passthough to a kvm VM.

I'm fairly comfortable with linux as I've used it plenty at work and I've tried lots of VMs - what's my best option? I really want something that won't get in my way and need shit tons of configuration and reconfiguration after every update - but I don't want to wait months for new packages either. I was thinking Debian just because it's a simple distro that I can bend to suit my needs, but I just want to check in for some advice as I haven't used it as a "daily driver" before.
>>
>>55651490
>it isn't; don't download .deb files from random untrusted sites.
guessed so.
so repositories are reliable and random .debs could be dangerous, i take it. (right?)

>>55651549
>An analogy could be: let's say you have a friend who is sort of notorious for withholding information. He asks if one of his buddies can crash at your place, and he vouches for him. He says his buddy will cook for you in exchange for the couch while he's at your place or something. When you go to work, you're trusting that this buddy guy is only going to stay on the couch, in the kitchen cooking, and maybe doing harmless activities like watching TV. You're trusting he's not going to go through you house looking for valuables. That's the amount of trust you're putting into your friend and by consequence, his buddy.
>In GNU/Linux, distros offer official repositories that exist for this very issue. Repositories curate packages, hundreds of people review their code and maintain/patch it to fit the distro. You're not trusting your friend, in this case. It's like your trusting your whole hometown vouching for this guy AND you can read his buddy's mind, because he's transparent. You can install .deb packages outside the official repositories, sure, but unless you trust the uploader, you don't have the same level of security. Installing software directly from the internet is therefore seen as an insecure and bad practice, not to be done often if you can help it.
This really cleared it up for me. Great analogy. Thanks.

Now I just hope the rest of the questions could be answered. Then I will go on a Google journey to learn about this all and stop bothering you with my noob questions.
>>
What's the difference between Debian Unstable and Debian Testing? Which is better for average use?
>>
>>55651386
>Are you saying that these vulnerabilities are not present in Linux? What aspect of Linux neutralizes them?
GNU/Linux comes from an UNIX background. Like I mentioned earlier, it handled user permissions from the get-go. Strict rules are hard-coded into the system which cannot be circumvented. You simply can't trick your computer to do an administrative action, even in the background, without explicit user input of the password. The one vulnerability your system could have is if someone gets their physical hands on it. But by that point, anybody would be screwed (unless you encrypted your drive, which you should!)

>Let's say I just accidentally installed a malicious application on Ubuntu by running a .deb file. Are you saying that this app cannot sit in the background and do shady stuff unlike in Windows? Is it the sandbox feature that is preventing the malware from wreaking havoc?
If you accidentally installed a malicious program, that's on you. It very well can sit in the background and wreak havoc if you let it. It may be possible to recover, but I certainly hope you have backups anyway. Running things in a sandbox definitely helps, but depending on the implementation, it can be rather easy to break out of. Are you talking about chroot?

For truly secure sandbox environments, you gotta go to Qubes OS. But that's waaaaay beyond the needs of most people.

>Have there been any examples of this happening? Do they happen often or rarely and your assumption is theoretical?
Literally any virus/worm/malware/keylogger/ransomware/etc that has infected any machine since Windows account control was introduced. They didn't really go ahead and ask, did they? They just kind of bashed the door down and went in.
>>
>>55651682
Testing is basically where they build up the next release of Stable.

Unstable is where they do testing of bleeding edge software. If you want a highly reliable system take Testing over Unstable.
>>
>>55651696
>unless you encrypted your drive
AND fully powered-off the machine.
>>
>>55651696
>>55651666
And one amendment:

Of course, this doesn't mean Linux is absolutely impervious. Clever shit can also mess with it
For example the BadUSB exploit a few years back.

But fortunately the fix was as simple as telling your Linux system to not automatically connect to USB's (if you had to plug in a shady as fuck USB. Which meant for normal users this is a non issue)

This however still puts it miles away from Windows

>>55651761
Yes, if you wanna be extra careful
>>
>>55651682
This depends on you, testing goes through a freeze phase and is a bit later with security patches than sid or even stable but has newer software than stable. The good thing about testing is that almost all bugs are already known by the time it hits testing. I would recommend upgrading to testing and using it until you encounter a bug or issue and then upgrade to sid if it is already resolved there. Make sure to have apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges installed.
>>55651747
Actually experimental is the real bleeding edge release, but nobody other than maintainers use it. Unstable is fairly stable for a rolling release distro if you are not completely new.
>>
>>55651696
Thanks so much. I'm so glad Warosu is archiving these posts. I can refer to them later to revision.

>Literally any virus/worm/malware/keylogger/ransomware/etc that has infected any machine since Windows account control was introduced. They didn't really go ahead and ask, did they? They just kind of bashed the door down and went in.
Yeah you have a solid point there.

But please permit just one more stupid question: Can malware somehow skip Windows Account Control prompt windows and install itself when a limited user account is using the computer?

As you said, malware has been installing itself surreptitiously without triggering WAC prompt windows all the time. But most of those cases were when an admin account was using the computer, right? (which is like at least 95% of the instances Windows is used in the world, i take it)

For malware, is skipping WAC prompt windows and installing itself when a limited user account is using the computer basically the same as doing ditto when an admin account is using the computer?

Or does the difference (the limited user account is using the computer, not the admin) pose some more (however minimal) huddles for malware to jump over ?
>>
File: 1435455508322.jpg (39KB, 352x370px) Image search: [Google]
1435455508322.jpg
39KB, 352x370px
Does anyone have any experience using OSx as a linux user?

I do a lot a of programming and graphic design for work, currently I have a dual boot of windows for the graphical stuff and linux for daily use and programming. However this is a really cumbersome set-up as I'm constantly having to switch between the two, and I simply prefer Linux over windows for mostly anything.

OSx seems like a nice middle ground since it has pretty much all the proprietary software I have to use for work while maintaining a unix like environment.
>>
>>55651995
Sounds like you should run a Linux VM over the Windows/OSX and do all the work not requiring the special software in there.

If you're dual-booting already you could literally just point a VM at the other partition, with minimal setup needed.
>>
>>55651995
File browser is 10/10 but I don't really like anything else about the UI other than notifications.
>>
>>55651958
It may pose a minimal hurdle in some cases, but very insignificant.

Even if your current account has very limited permissions, it is still vulnerable. Of course, you're reducing the attack surface again (because if you can't install an .exe that is bundled with malicious software, it can't get to you. But you also won't install the program anyway so it might as well not exist), but you're still weak to several other methods of intrusion (like Word macros, infected USB's, drive-by-downloads, etc etc). Remember that Windows is always vulnerable to being rooted and circumventing all the preventive measures you put in place.

The act of using Windows on a limited user account is not really something that makes a more experienced user safer. It's something you use as an admin to prevent your users from doing things you don't want them to (like installing .exe's you don't know about). It's a precaution more against people that "can't into computer", more than an active self-defense measure as the owner of your computer. It's more something you do in your house to make sure your mom doesn't install cooltoolbars.exe
>>
Software help
Best music player
Best image viewer
Best Video player

Can some one give me a solid list im new
>>
So I'm not a technology illiterate and I'm planning to learn programming soon and its time to Install a linux distro
The problem is that I dint know which distro is best for programming environment and the wiki is too neutral
Which distro should I go for /fglt/? bonus points if its dual bootable
>>
>>55652093
> Best music player
mpd+ncmpcpp
> Best image viewer
feh
> Best Viedo player
mpv
>>
>>55652117

is mpd+ncmpcpp new user friendly
>>
>>55652137
well he asked for the best not the friendliest. Just because he is new does not mean he is incompetent
>>
>>55652093
>>55652117
mpd
sxiv
mpv

>>55652137
None of the best software is. You gotta git gud or you'll be stuck with point and click garbage your whole life. ;)
>>
>>55652093
The ones I'm using

But to give you a few to check out that are easy to use
>Music
Clementine, Rythmbox, Banshee
>Image
Viewnior, feh
>Video
mpv, GNOME mpv, totem
>>
>>55652156
can sxiv open gifs
>>
>>55652093
>music player
No one will agree on this.
>image viewer
I think most just use the one that's built into their DE. That's what I do. I use GNOME's called eog AKA EyeOfGnome and it's nice.
>video player
VLC or MPV

>>55652094
I'd say just start with Ubuntu if it's your very first time using Linux. Once you get your feet wet with Ubuntu, then you can try other distros easier. All the popular repos have access to all the compilers and tools you need for programming, if they aren't already installed by default.
>>
File: jet.gif (3MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
jet.gif
3MB, 960x720px
>>55652180
Yes. I wouldn't bother with an image viewer that couldn't animate my dank maymays.
>>
>>55652093
>Best music player
Clementine, Amarok, Deadbeef, Banshee
Try them all out to figure out which you like the most
>Best image viewer
Nomacs
>Best Video player
mpv, definitely
>>
>>55652094
>Best distro for programming
There is no best distro for programming. What you will soon realize is that most distros are pretty much the same. And most of the popular ones come installed with everything that you need anyway.

I don't know of a single distro that is not dual-bootable. As far as I know they all are. It's all about partitions, bby.

>>55652188
Ubuntu is a good choice, like this guy says. There are plenty of flavors like Ubuntu GNOME, Lubuntu, etc that just use a different DE to Unity, which many people dislike, but that's personal preference.

Another good choice if you want to have your hand held a bit less but learn more in the process and end up with a much more robust system is Debian
>>
>>55652188
>All the popular repos have ...
Also to clarify, I meant "popular software/package repositories"
>>
>>55652057
Thanks anon God bless you
liking my gnome
>>
>>55651644
go back, you got answers there
>>
So I'm by no means a beginner to Linux, been using it for a couple years now and can usually troubleshoot on my own. Right now I am just trying to install Kali on a laptop (I know I could run it in a VM but I'm doing it for a friend who specifically requested it and blah blah blah...). The problem is once I try to boot into the installer it juts goes into a black screen and stays that way. Once I try and boot into the live image it takes around 5 minutes and then finally winds up on a black screen with a blinking cursor.
>>
>>55652093
foobar200 on wine (please no bully)
ahoviewer
mpv
>>
>>55652093
>best
The one I am using
>>55652117
Music player highly depends on user preferences, some may prefer quod libet, cmus or just mpd
Some people may think of feh as bloat since imagemagicks display exists and it should be installed on every desktop system anyway. Or others may like viewnior or another gui viewer better. You could even use --loop-file in mpv for images.
For video some people might want some kind of frontend for mpv or another gui thing. Only because you like it doesn't mean it is the best.
>>
>>55651696
>You simply can't trick your computer to do an administrative action, even in the background, without explicit user input of the password.

Unless you configured your system to not ask for the password each and every time.
>>
>>55652330
>a black screen with a blinking cursor.
That's some haxx0r shit right there brah
>>
>>55651995
OSX is it's own little thing which does tons of things a bit differently so it's annoying to use for seasoned Windows and Linux users.
>>
>>55652364
Help me anon:((((
>>
>>55652454
>>55652330
Maybe you burned the ISO as UEFI when his computer only uses Legacy BIOS? Or maybe the other way around: maybe his computer is configured as UEFI-only and you burned the ISO as MBR
>>
>>55652454
Install debian, add the kali repos, install gnome-core, install all the kali bullshit, set the kali wallpaper and add a root password during install.
>>
>>55652411
Could you give me some practical examples?

>>55652017

won't a vm impact performance? I do some pretty heavy 3d rendering from time to time
>>
>>55651433
arc-theme?
>>
Installing Debian - what DE should I use? This is for a dual screen desktop, so I'm not inclined towards LXDE. Perhaps XFCE? Or KDE.
>>
>>55652536
>DE
GNOME
>No-DE
i3
>>
>>55650867
Windows is shit and it's only getting worse. Microsoft spends like 90% of their R&D on Azure now, they know their shitty desktop OS is only good for games and excel spreadsheets.
>>
>>55652506
keyboard shortcuts are different (@ is on right-alt+l for example, also in some shortcuts ctrl and alt are flipped)

General Window controls like resizing and moving Windows.

Menus on top of the screen vs on top of the window

Not like on of those would be inherently better than the other, it's just annoying if you're used to one of them and then have to use the other.
>>
>>55652536
>DE for multi monitor
gnome 3.20
>WM for multi monitor
dwm compiled for multi monitor
>>
>>55652592
The hell's Azure?
>>
>>55651433

>xfce theme

There is no such thing. Your screenshot is irrelevant and shows nothing. There are xfwm4 themes, there are GTK themes, there are Plank themes (your dock). There's a bunch of other themes for various things too.
>>
>>55651433
Numix
>>
>>55652570
>>55652614
Thanks both of you!
>>
>>55652506
I'd encourage you to not use mac.

They have an extremely shitty closed-garden policy. They actively make it difficult for 3rd party repair people to service Apple products, and prosecute them legally sometimes. They charge insane amounts of money for repairs

Besides, using Macs is rather annoying. Apple always has *their* way of doing things, and if you don't do things *their* way then you can fuck right off.

In your case, GPU passthrough would be a fantastic yet complicated solution, so you can have only your Linux OS and inside, a VM with Windows with full GPU access. But again, this is complicated and it's better if you have two graphics cards for this. It's doable with just one, but still.
>>
>>55652482
But I can still get to the start screen?
>>
>>55652623
MS's "cloud" hosting platform
>>
>>55652638
see
>>55652633
>>
Is there a simple and good Window manager
>>
>>55652691
Anon, that's the "Elementary" distro using the "GNOME" desktop environment.
>>
>>55652675
The heavy proprietary nature of macs is a huge turn off for me, I was mostly considering it for how much it would help my work flow.

Thank you for the answers, do you have any reading I could do on the VM with full gpu access?
>>
>>55652093
Or install Elementary OS :)
>>55652633
>>55652709
I have no problem with it, it just works and I don't have to install and tweak million of stuff on it to make it "workable"*. I know it's objective but still, it is a good start distro for normies and new people.
>>
>>55652741
I didn't say anything against it. I was stating which distro it was and which DE it was. Calm down
>>
>>55652741
Elementary is so bad it made me start using GNU/Linux one year later than I would have if I tested any other distro first.
>>
>>55652729
Unfortunately I don't have much for you as I haven't personally tried to do it. You're gonna have to do a lot of legwork

But here are some resources nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19knRjL9w3Q
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LnGpTrXalwGVNy0PWJDURhyxa3sgqkGXmvNCIvIMenk/edit#gid=0
>>
>>55652770
ok kid

>>55652753
sorry anon, my bad.
>>
>>55652729
>>55652804
And please, before you do anything, back your shit up. Both your Windows and Linux stuff. I don't wanna be responsible for ruining your day
>>
>>55652815
>ok kid
Why do people feel the need to post this?
>>
File: college group projects.jpg (584KB, 693x1569px) Image search: [Google]
college group projects.jpg
584KB, 693x1569px
>>55652093
I would like to know about some of these as well.
I'm using Clementine for music, ahoviewer and mcomix for images and mango, and mpv for video playback.

What I liked about foobar the most is the file searching. The results weren't the dumbshit artist or albums, but the folders they were in. It made it very convenient to include a folder of several albums or artists at the same time without overlapping with other albums with similar titles.

Ahoviewer is nice in that it can read compressed files and it has the handy booru browser, but it has problems. I don't know why, but it refuses to recognize my up+down/left+right keys. It also takes its damn time opening up when I have several thousand images on the same directory. Also, the Booru browser is a huge memory hog. Several hundred images on *booru will make it hog all of the memory.

mpv is amazing. I had to read some of the manual, but it's super comfy.
>>
>>55652829
Because children are inherently inexperienced and dumb. People say "ok kid" to imply that the person they're talking to is equal to a stupid, inexperienced child.
>>
>>55652829
Because kids like you get super butthurt about it and that's fun to watch.
>>
>>55653012
>>Because children are inherently inexperienced and dumb
t. someone who has never worked or been around children
>>
>>55653156
found the teenager
>>
>>55653186
absolutely ERIC. :^)
>>
>>55653012
>>55653156
>>55653186
found the ageists
can we go back to talking about linux again?
>>
>>55653213
>uses the term 'ageists'

inb4 underage b&
>>
File: 1423363766709.png (49KB, 390x314px) Image search: [Google]
1423363766709.png
49KB, 390x314px
Can we go back to acting like adults please
>>
Battery life on my laptop (a little over 2 years old) has gone to shit and it's overheating, beginning to think I need a distro/DE that's less of a resource jew than Mint Cinnamon

Was considering Xubuntu, but XFCE doesn't seem to like my Fn shortcut keys, it won't map them (actually one of the great things about Cinnamon is that it does)

What else should I try? Wouldn't mind learning how to use Linux a bit better, but I'd like to avoid a distro where shit breaks every other day
>>
I've got a Pi that will never see the luxury of a safe shutdown, so I want everything to remain read-only at all times. I tried specifying ro (options defaults,ro - will reversing the order of those help?) in the kernel line for the root filesystem options, and even setting ro in fstab don't seem to work.

For now I've got /etc/rc.local remounting / as ro, which works, but it leaves the fs writable during boot, which leaves a window open for possible issues if the power is cut at that point.

What's a proper way to keep the root fs read only at all times?
>>
>>55653902
>I'd like to avoid a distro where shit breaks every other day

The people who say that Gentoo/Arch/sid have this problem don't actually use them. You won't have major stability issues just because of your choice of distro.
>>
>>55654032
Implement your own init and never mount / as rw.
>>
fedora keeps freezing the display after running a while
restarting the display manager unfreezes the screen again, but that seem like an inconvenient way of using a desktop system
resizing the virtualbox window, in which fedora is running also updates the screen once
this shit happened on multiple display managers already and I have no idea what causes it.
The terminal opened by C-A-F2 works, however, so at least it's certain that this happens somewhere in the graphics system.
Which parts of the system might be involved in this?
>>
>>55654194
>resizing the virtualbox window, in which fedora is running also updates the screen once
try running it on real hardware and see how it runs.
>>
>>55654051
>never mount / as rw
This is the goal, but something in the boot process is ignoring the kernel line and fstab and mounting as rw anyways.

It's Void with Runit, btw.
>>
I am new to linux, if I type clang --version and this happens:
clang version 3.8.0-2ubuntu3 (tags/RELEASE_380/final)
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin
Does this means I finally was able to do it(install it)?
Now how do I use it in visual studio code, I click the debug green arrow and it says
Unable to start debugging. Program path '/home/devlin/Desktop/Source.c' is missing or invalid.
This is how the launch.json file looks like:
{
"version": "0.2.0",
"configurations": [
{
"name": "C++ Launch (GDB)",
"type": "cppdbg",
"request": "launch",
"launchOptionType": "Local",
"targetArchitecture": "x64",
"program": "${workspaceRoot}/Source.c",
"args": [],
"stopAtEntry": false,
"cwd": "${workspaceRoot}",
"environment": [],
"externalConsole": true
},
{
"name": "C++ Attach (GDB)",
"type": "cppdbg",
"request": "launch",
"launchOptionType": "Local",
"targetArchitecture": "x64",
"program": "${workspaceRoot}/Source.c",
"args": [],
"stopAtEntry": false,
"cwd": "${workspaceRoot}",
"environment": [],
"processId": 6666,
"externalConsole": false
}
]
}
>>
File: 1458860891936edited.jpg (954KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
1458860891936edited.jpg
954KB, 1296x968px
>>55650815
>not using this version
SHAME
>>
>>55654247
>the GNU/Linux pharmacy
Nice.
>>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Conky#Gmail
Isn't this a little risky? Also, whats a good document viewer that handles heavy pdfs without trouble and it's riceable? Setting up my Debian for productivity while I study.
>>
>>55654225
is there a quick way to copy over the whole system to a bootable medium?
because reinstalling the OS and every piece of software I installed seems to be a bit much to reproduce the bug
>>
DD-wrt + Cantenna + xfinitywifi = Free Internet?
>>
>>55654325
http://askubuntu.com/questions/32499/migrate-from-a-virtual-machine-vm-to-a-physical-system
>>
>phoronix is the unique website where you can find linux benchmarks
>he test the 1060
>he doesn't test it with dota 2 vulkan
>for the AMD gpu he used the open source drivers instead of the new drivers that amd are currently doing

Is phoronix the unique guy doing linux benchmarks ? Is there someone more serious ?
>>
>>55654753
he literally asks for help every other day, do benchmarks yourself and add them.
>>
File: 1*jUNDeTEvI8L-iWHG0NnPrA.jpg (241KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1*jUNDeTEvI8L-iWHG0NnPrA.jpg
241KB, 2000x1125px
>>55654049
Still though, I'd prefer something a bit less hardcore than Gentoo but less vanilla than Mint.

Something that works well with MATE would be good, seems to be working well so far.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>55654974
any, but i always recommend debian and fedora so there's that.
>>
>>55654974
As >>55655020 said. Debian masterrace.
>>
>>55655072
>masterrace
please don't start this
>>
>>55654974
>less hardcore than Gentoo but less vanilla than Mint.

Debian or Arch are both solid choices.
>>
I feel like upgrading mint 17.3 to 18. I don't want to fuck up my /home in the process. /home and / are on separate partitions, so everything will be okay, right?
>>
>>55655169
>so everything will be okay, right?
is it encrypted? you will be able to access stuff from a live usb usually even if you fuck it up.
>>
>>55654225
instead of running it on real hardware, I copied the VM to another computer and ran it there, seeing the same bug, which is odd, since I run a virtualbox fedora on there as well.
currently copying said working VM to the virtualbox host where I experienced the bug first to test wether it isn't encountered there as well.

should the error not occur in there at all, I believe that Virtualbox can be ruled out as the problem. What kind of software that isn't the display manager or the DE could be causing such an error though?
>>
>>55655262
running it in a VM could be the issue (most likely), a compositor could have similar issues, some driver could be the issue. but for real, before you locate the logs or replicate it on a real install nobody can do much to help you.
>>
>>55655239
no, it's not encrypted
>>
Setting up a GPU passthrough system - I have a Radeon R9 390 and an old Radeon X1950 Pro. Want to pass the 390 to a VM, and use the X1950 as the hosts GPU.

So far I've managed to get the 390 bound to pci-stub, however I can't then get the system to work with the X1950. Startx causes a segfault every time, I can't make sense of it. I get no output on the X1950 but the 390, despite being run by pci-stub, shows the console.

Any suggestions on what to try? The only thing I can think of is that the 390 is the "boot GPU", but I don't know how to change that except for putting it in a different PCI port (which would then limit the speed to x4, making the whole thing pointless)
>>
What a good FREE IDE for Linux?
>>
File: Titan Z height.png (128KB, 470x510px) Image search: [Google]
Titan Z height.png
128KB, 470x510px
What do I have to install so that I can read chink, gook, moon, etc?
>>
>>55655904
what language?
>>
>>55655904
I forgot to add non-bloat

>>55655918
Python
>>
>>55655904
Geany, KDevelop
>>
>>55655937
>non-bloat
Your favorite text editor
>>
>>55655937
nano
>>
>>55655945
Thanks

OK Whats a good FREE (free as in open sores) IDE for Linux?
>>
>>55655996
Are you stupid?
>>
>>55655996
Both of them were free
>>
>>55655916
well first you should learn the languages, after that you might want a font that supports the characters. a good goto font for other languages is noto.
>>
>>55656016
>>55656017
Srry I meant gui text editors with like keybings
>>
>>55656070
Both of them are gui text editors with keybindings
>>
>>55656088
rekt
>>
>>55652614
Is there a way to get the top bar on both monitors?
>>
hey, i've got a thinkpax x201 and it fucking huffs and puffs with windows.

which linux distro will be the easiest and idiot-proof for me?

i just want to go online, watch youtube, and do some light text editing. nothing more.
>>
>>55656138
yes
>>
>>55655303
tested the other fedora VM.
I can't reproduce the problem there. The Virtualbox settings are literally the same.
The Virtualbox logs of the buggy system show nothing at all when the bug occurs. I have no idea where I fucked up so I'm just moving along to the other VM and call it a day.
Thanks for all the help though.
>>
Anyone know what determines what shows up here?

I have a samba drive mounted, but it doesn't seem to show up.
>>
i was thinking how to make a custome segment to send over ethernet, idk if thers a program or some package for c or python perhaps
>>
>>55655937
>Ide
>non-bloat

lelwat

Use vim or emacs. Just don't ask anyone which of the two you should use.
>>
>>55656148
Linux mint would be pretty good, maybe Ubuntu.
>>
>>55656070
>>55655996
>>55655904
At least you tried
>>
>>55656151
Where is the setting at?
>>
>>55656160
tcp or udp , both work for my objectives
>>
>>55656185
Probably the config file under ~/.config. You should search in the Arch wiki for that kind of stuff.
>>
>>55656214
Would that still be relevant, I'm on Fedora 24?
>>
>>55656230
Last time I checked DE ans WM were independent of distro.
>>
any1 know how to make custom tcp/udp segments ??????????
>>
How do I configure vim's autocomplete? I hate pressing key combos. How do I set it use tab key? I couldn't get youcompleteme to install
>>
>>55656461
use python or curl or more question marks ??????????????????
>>
>>55656692
one more for fun ?
>>
>>55656044
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>55656494
Have you tried supertab?
>>
>>55657192
Use anki, and lurk on the /djt/
>>
>>55657208
Anki is a waste of time. You're better to spend time reading. It's really only good for absolute beginners, like the first month.
>>
My rtorrent keeps crashing where can I find info why?
>>
>>55657445
Same here, stopped using it because of this.
Works for a while, but after some time it freezes and doesnt respond to anything..

Try transmission or aria2 for cli.
>>
>>55657503
ive been using it for years though it would be too much work to switch now
>>
Probably a dumb question, but if the Brain Fuck Scheduler overall improves responsiveness, why hasn't it been incorporated into the kernel?
>>
>>55657543
It doesn't necessarily and certainly it doesn't in all situations and that isn't a good thing for all implementations of linux. Basically the kernel is far too broad in its use cases for BFS to be added, it would be a bad thing for a server for example. That and it's a buggy as fuck patch.
>>
>>55657517
>download transmission
>run transmission
>done
>>
>>55657617
He's quite obviously on a private tracker seeding lots of files which he doesn't want to or can't set up from scratch again.
>>
Do you think I could run into any hiccups installing debian onto this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Stream-13-3-Laptop-2-16Ghz-2GB-32GB-Windows-8-1-Blue-13-c010nr-/351738905487?hash=item51e545c38f:g:COMAAOSwxndXTuX7
>>
>>55657650
Look on the debian wiki, lots of laptops are listed there. If not on there then try arch and gentoo wikis as well just to check potential problems.
>>
http://www.linux.org/threads/linux-for-new-hp-stream.7520/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinuxActionShow/comments/31d4ua/my_linux_experience_with_my_hp_stream_13_laptop/
>>
>>55657714
That was for you obviously
>>55657650
>>
I'm sure this is an incredibly basic thing, but how do you change your terminal font to something that you can't select through the dropdown menu in the terminal emulator itself.
>>
>>55657808
It depends on the terminal emulator.
>>
A tip for my Debian Testing KDE Plasma 5 brothers:

If you can't access your context menu when right clicking on the desktop or if your notifications no longer work, install version 5.23 of libkf5plasma5.
>>
What command(s) can I use to view what version of intel graphics i have installed. Also, whenever you update to a new kernel do you also update to new intel graphics?
>>
File: snapshot14.png (53KB, 709x474px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot14.png
53KB, 709x474px
>>55658355
If you want to be one of the cool rice kids, you can install screenfetch.
>>
>>55658355
>new kernel
>graphics
Youll need to install it again, so it is a module in the new kernel
So kernel update to 4.7
But graphics drivers are still the same, make syre you reinstall them
>>
>>55658452
neofetch is what all the cool kids are using you loser
>>
I use Windows and want to use Linux for tinkering a programing, but I want to use it in a virtual desktop instead of dualbooting, would that be feasible and convenient?
>>
>>55658827
yes
>>
>>55658827
Absolutely.
>>
So I want to copy about 1TB of data over my LAN is cp my best option? Does cp do any verification with checksums or anything? Lets say I am copying to a Windows share what happens if cp encounters a forbidden filename character like :?
>>
>>55658895
use rsync; it can resume a transfer if (when) something interrupts it, and provides better progress indicators than cp. Plus it's compatible with ssh among other protocols eg.
rsync -ruvP local/file [email protected]:remote/dest
>>
>>55658812
Yeah, the Arch Reddit cool kids.
>>
>>55658966
Ill try it out
how about the forbidden characters in filenames though? Ill be mounting a windows drive to copy this data to
>>
>>55658993
>Debqueen in full shitposting mode
>>
File: 1453830474790.jpg (92KB, 1356x831px) Image search: [Google]
1453830474790.jpg
92KB, 1356x831px
>>55659024
There are no forbidden characters on linux
>>
>>55658452
>oh no, they know my host and username
>>
>>55659128
Yeah I know but there is in Windows. I want to know what happens when you copy something with forbidden characters to windows.
>>
>>55659152
Use windows if you want the whole world to be able to see all your shit.
>>
On firefox there used to be another column in the inspector, you used to be able to see the font the website is trying to use and then in the next tab the font that is being used by your system. It seems the second tab doesn't exist any more. What happened, can it be enabled again?
>>
File: snapshot11.png (91KB, 1366x455px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot11.png
91KB, 1366x455px
>>55659293
pic related
>>
>>55659152
I'd hate to be called by my first name every time I post that screenfetch.
>>
new to linux
what are some cool ways to customize my terminal
>>
File: DDDDood.jpg (560KB, 855x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DDDDood.jpg
560KB, 855x1000px
Void, or Alpine?
>>
>>55660198
Spend the time learning how to use it first.
>>
>>55660210
For what? They are aimed at completely different use cases.
>>
>>55660215
Fucking with it results in you learning about it, though.
>>
>>55660225
No it doesn't. Changing fonts, colors, and prompts doesn't teach you anything about using the terminal.
>If I learn how to change the wheels on my car and to repaint it then I will know how to drive it.
>>
Hey /g/, any specific benchmarking tools you'd recommend using from a Live boot? How about gtkperf?

I got a free laptop and I'm curious if it outperforms my older 2008 laptop. Unlike the old laptop however, it uses integrated graphics. Shouldn't matter much but sometimes I like to play games so I'm curious if it'll run everything my other one did.
>>
>>55660225
what this guy said customizing can teach you a lot
>>
>>55660225
no, you will just end up fucking up and not knowing how to fix your shit, installgentoo also has a page about this IIRC
>>
>>55660439
And thus will have to learn how to fix your shit.
>>
>>55660253
Phoronix test suite
>>
>>55660264
samefag
>>
>>55660439
>>55660439
>installgentoo
>taking the memetic ravings of a bunch of 16 year old 4chan autists as a reliable source of information

wew lad
>>
>>55660264
>"customize my terminal"
Yeah if I didn't know urxvt-specific xresources settings i would have never been able to configure a gentoo CUPS server

Userland rice and actually using linux are two different things.
>>
>>55660574
>configuring gentoo CUPS server is "actually using linux"

k then
>>
>>55660585
Actually using linux to accomplish something in the real world

Something as simple as a print server for your home or office network is leagues ahead of ricing a shitty 80s terminal emulator for people that measure performance by running "cat".
>>
>>55654321
No one?
>>
>>55660601
If you'd ever been to the real world you'd probably have noticed nobody uses gentoo in production.

Of course you'd also realize that CUPS configuration won't change whether you're using gentoo or any other distro.
>>
>>55660622
I use gentoo for production of anime tiddies
>>
File: frogtard.png (67KB, 1180x1084px) Image search: [Google]
frogtard.png
67KB, 1180x1084px
>>55660646
ayy lmao
>>
so i am inheriting a laptop soon that has old hardware so win10 runs slowish on it. im considering win7 and linux, leaningore towards linux, but want more info on linux first so i have a couple questions.

1)what distro is a) good for beginners and b) flexible and customizable that i wont get bored in six months? i hear mint/ubuntu are good for beginners but wanted to know if there were other choices that you recommend.

2) is there a good no cost video editing software for linux as an alternative to premier? and a DAW?

3) how discouraged will i get?
>>
>>55660990
Fedora or Debian should be good choices too. Don't worry too much about picking a distro, they all get the job done.
>>
>>55660990
Debian is nice if you can read.
If you will be bored or discouraged depends on you. I like learning new stuff so it stays fun for me.
The first 2 weeks are usually just getting familiar with the terminal, checking out DEs and installing random software.
Check out the installgentoo wiki on recommended software and use a search engine like searx.me to find alternative programs. Alternative.to is also a thing even if they are kinda stupid.
Have fun.
>>
I tried to use /gif/ on gNewSense 4, but Iceweasel (the Firefox rebrand) could only play a few WEBMs before the players stopped working. Maybe it's related to the WEBMs that have audio. Is there something to do about this?
>>
>>55660990
If Win10 runs slowish, Win7 probably won't run much better.

As for the distro, take one of the big ones.
They are all flexible and customizable.
>>
>>55661025
>>55661148
>>55661182
thank you guys very much.

what about the video editor? thats very important to me and may be a dealbreaker.
>>
>>55661206
http://openshot.org/
Also Blender has some video editing capabilities IIRC.
>>
>>55661206
Can't advise you on software I never used
>>
>>55661206
>>55661218
I tried openshot and it was crashing left and right. I've heard Kdenlive recommended but haven't personally used it. Just try out a bunch and see which one sticks.
>>
>>55661151
Install the plugin "open with" and add mpv to your options with it.
>>55661206
There are a few. For advanced stuff blender is good but it is quite hard. Cinelarra in new but popular, kdenlive can do quite a few things and is relatively easy to use. Just don't expect any of them to be similar to adobe premiere in usage.
There are of course even more video editing programs.
I would recommend you to use a lightweight Desktop Environment (DE) like xfce or lxde for your slow computer.
>>
>>55661252
>I would recommend you to use a lightweight Desktop Environment (DE) like xfce or lxde for your slow computer.

This is very important! Don't use the default Ubuntu or Debian DEs (Unity and GNOME3, respectively) as they'll run very slowly on old hardware and likely frustrate you.
>>
>>55661252
>Install the plugin "open with" and add mpv to your options with it
There is no way to play webm inside the browser?
>>
>>55661270
Debian has a default DE?
It offers all major DEs in the installer afaik.
>>
How does /g/ feel about the usability of most Linux distros for the average human? Do you think most people could function about as well in Linux as they could in Windows?
>>
>>55661275
Yes, but why would you do that if you can just use a more suitable tool?
Look into mediasource extensions in about:config if you have to.
>>
>>55661280
Who gives a shit about them?

Though yes, the majority of computer users could just as effectively use Facebook on Linux as in Windows/OSX.
>>
>>55661280
If they have the same time learning it, they will probably function better on GNU/Linux after that time. My parents like it.
>>
>>55661289
It's not suitable to leave the browser just to play a shot video, close the player, go back to the browser, play another video, close, go back to the browser, etc.
>>
>>55660990
1. Debian. More often Ubuntu and Mint are recommended but you can install all the same software. When installing I recommend choosing "XFCE" desktop environment. On Ubuntu you need to get "xubuntu" for Xfce.

2. Absolutely, I recommend "lightworks" video editor. It has been used in the making of Pulp Fiction, and the King's Speech, two of my most favorite movies. The UI is a little bit convoluted to look at but you can modify the hotkeys and such to make it operate similarly to Vegas or Premier.

3. If you use the "easy" Distros with little to no set up, probably not. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR LAPTOP'S HARDWARE WILL RUN LINUX JUST FINE. At least google your laptop's model + linux to see what comes up.

>>55661206
It's worth noting I have LITTLE experience with them, and I do recommend lightworks just because I can see it's been used in the industry, so take other people's recommendations into mind.
>>
>>55661279
Using net install, the default is GNOME3 I believe. And it's both bulky and hideous to use imo. I used it like once and it looked like I was using fucking Android, you have to browse applications in the same obnoxious, unsorted way.
>>
>>55661315
Why would you need to close or open anything? You just right click the video or a link to it, select open with mpv, watch it and either do something in the browser while it plays in the corner or watch the video until you either close it from boredom or play it till the ends.
>>
>>55661412
I like gnome3 a lot but use a very lightweight wm instead. I only knew that the netinstall gave you options, never saw that gnome was selected by default.
>>
Is there an open source alternative to plex?
>>
>>55661369
You don't need xubuntu to install Xfce, and I don't think Debian supports ppas like the buntus
>>
>>55661521
Seriously why should I have a fucking account to stream stuff around my LAN?
>>
>>55661524
PPA is literally just adding a line of text to a text file.
>>
>>55650815
i do not know what clipboard i have how do i check?
>>
I'm thinking of installing Arch, but I only have access to a Wi-Fi connection, is it possible to install it using only Wi-Fi?
>>
I am on Gnome on Firefox and every YouTube video has a black line to the right side of it.

Why does this happen? How do I remove it?
>>
>>55661952
Yes, since archs kernel has every module in it anyway it should be quite easy.
>>
Why do sheeple use Windows?
Do they just want to be hacked any day?
Moreover it is even paid. I don't get it.
>>
>>55662595
Because you're an insufferable cunt that puts others down for ultimately meaningless things.
>>
>>55661521

Kodi probably.
>>
>>55659293
>>55659306

I had the same issue and found no answer. At least we know it's not a bug, but a "feature".
>>
>>55662623
Forgive me for the use if the derogatory word "sheeple."

Substitute it with "most people." thanks

i am just genuinely curious. i don't get why Windows is most popular when it is very insecure and its GUI isn't even pretty. Gnome's and OS X's are better. It is also expensive.
>>
>>55662595
Gaming, photo editing.
"Ease of use."
Just out of curiosity I googled whether or not Linux was supported by embroidery machines. Before 2012 they were not, until some faggot contacted someone begging them to license their software under GPL3 so he could port it over.

In other words, someone in 2011 with a very "old-person" hobby probably tried Linux then briefly abandoned it because it doesn't do everything that Windows can do.
>>
>>55662673

> "Ease of use."

Stop perpetuating that misconception. If you give someone who has never used a computer before in their lives (my parents) Windows, they wouldn't find it easier to use than a Linux distribution.
>>
>>55662701
That's why I put it in quotes.
But imagine a waito piggu finding out traditional Chinese was written top to bottom and getting upset cause it's "NOT EASY TO READ THAT WAY."

Are you >>55662669 ?
If so you stated that Gnome is better. Meanwhile, I happen to think it's shit. You go to the 'applications' which requires 2 clicks from the desktop instead of 1. Then you get to sift through an unsorted mess where things like games that are preinstalled with Debian 8 are scrambled in with maintanence tools such as the fucking thing you have to check how much hard drive space you have. It's unorganized.

Xfce and Windows share the trait where you can simply click a button and access your installed applications, and I happen to think Xfce does this better because it sorts them out for the user.

I also can't help but notice that you only fucking responded to ONE line in my post. Gaming on Windows is better. Photo editing on Windows is better. Those are the only two things I can think of, but like I said, before 2012 Embroidery might as well have been on that fucking list.
>>
>>55662772
i am not him. you are responding to two people.

>Gaming on Windows is better.
Wine?

>Photo editing on Windows is better.
Wine can run most design programs like photoshop illustrator etc just fine
You only not get to use the latest version. which is not really an issue. they only contain a few more fancy "additional features" you rarely use

the fact that windows is popular thanks to wider support of apps is because windows is popular so used by many people so developers tend to opt for windows development for wider recognition.

it is sorta of a stupid cycle. a bad OS lives on thanks to this cycle. It needs to be euthanized.

Fortunately Android and iOS killed Windows in mobile markets. Hope it happens soon on desktop too.
>>
Setting up gentoo, everything is going fine but...
When I run emerge-webrsync, it says 20160719 snapshot was not found. It then went to the previous date, which should be present... but that wasnt found either. Then it continues, and it takes longer and longer for it to check the previous day for a snapshot.
What do?
>>
>>55662888
Wait, I figured it out, it's because my fucking internet is running at 5B/s
Seriously, fuck you Cox Communications.
>>
File: WineHQ.png (56KB, 1516x507px) Image search: [Google]
WineHQ.png
56KB, 1516x507px
>>55662852
>Wine
You can search WineHQ for all applications with a "GARBAGE" compatibility rating. If someone wants to play a game made for Windows, an already shitty operating system, why the fuck do they want the extra headache of fucking with a compatibility layer?
Current Dark Souls 3 rating: Garbage
Current Overwatch rating: Garbage
These are two of the "HOTTOST NEW GAMS" and I'm sure everyone is happy to save $200 or whatever the fuck just so that they can spend endless hours fucking with things and wishing they could play the game they just bought. Even if a game has a "Gold" rating on WineHQ does that mean the game runs just as well as if they were using Windows on the same hardware? I kind of doubt it.

I understand it's a cycle, but that's Microshit's entire legacy. Family member told me their bank's website required them to use Microsoft Edge.. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft wanted to pay businesses money to enforce this kind of jewry.
>>
>>55662772
>Two clicks

One mouse movement and one click, like desktop icons, except you don't have to go through the show desktop click to access them when you have applications open
>>
>>55662921
Wow you too? What region you in?
Had constant disconnects this entire week and now I'm getting garbage speeds tonight, I am fucking livid
>>
>>55662989
suburban california north of san diego
>>
>>55659293
>>55659306
>>55662648

Found the reason.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1247723

You can enable it via about:config, see the bug report page for how.
>>
>>55662975
Are we still talking about the untweaked gnome?
It's been a while so I wanted to verify it by searching youtube so i found this thing:
https://youtu.be/LpG9QvYRDpQ?t=16
16 Seconds in he has to hit the "ACTIVITIES" button and then it brings up a hotbar with some icons. But in order to view all of the applications you have to click that "grid" icon which sorts them out by alphabetical order. That's two, am I looking at this wrong?

This is already nitpicky as fuck, but it's the kind of thing people might care about if they're used to using a different desktop environment, so I'll keep going: You have both the ability to search and the ability to sift through pages of applications that are sorted in alphabetical order.

The problem I have with this is none of it is sorted out by it's utility. For example, in XFCE there's an "INTERNET" tab that would contain email, web browser, and the like. There's a "GAMING" Tab. Neither of which contain a text editor. Hypothetical situation: let's say you wanted "text editor" but didn't know it was called "leafpad." You now have to search through the entire page of applications containing every game, system tool, etc, just scattered about. If you knew the application started with "L" you could simply type "L" into the search up top and find it in there.. So why the fuck is it in alphabetical order?

The entire thing looks like a combination of Android's "Apps" menu and the home screen, neither of which are suited if your computer is going to have a lot of different applications. What's worse is in this video this guy is showing you how to use the command line to sort things out in folders like "Media" and "System tools." Nobody who's never used a computer before wants to fuck with that to sort the applications when other DE's do it for you, IMO.

Gnome seems like it would be perfect on a tablet.
>>
>>55663187
>hit super
>type start of the programs name
>enter
I really don't understand what is hard about using gnome
>>
>>55663312
Windows:
>hit super
>type start of the programs name
>enter

You're the one who said it was so much better, nevermind the fact that there's no way to easily find an application if you dont know what letter it starts with like I said.
>>
>>55663510
>everyone that replies to me is the same person
No
Also you can search for type as well. I don't use gnome, I use dwm with dmenu and still think gnome is nice, fite me.
>>
>>55663530
The only reason I was talking about gnome was because of
>>55662669
I still don't like Gnome but the only reason it came up at all was because someone claimed it was significantly better and easier than Windows, when it really seems about the same except maybe slightly better looking.
>>
I'm a lazy fuck (with some mental issues to boot), so I never learned (been bothered to learn) how to properly back up my data. I have exactly zero external hard drives. I have one 8GB flash drive, that I'm pretty sure is not functioning properly at this point. I'm looking to start fresh with a new distro and would love to keep all of my documents, pictures, videos, config files (for vim, bash, etc..). What is the "correct and proper" way to backup my data before "starting over"? I'm running Linux Mint 17 Qiana if that matters at all.
>>
>>55663582
Well gnomes launcher doesn't freeze, lag or randomly crash as much for starters. Also gnome is way easier to customize, has nice plugins and is overall really consistent which can not be said about windows.
>>
>>55663598
Also, I should add, it's fucking terrifying knowing that some bullshit could happen anytime and I'd lose all of my data because I never back anything up.
>>
>>55663690
I just have a PC with two hard drives and I copy important files over. If I were you I'd consider learning how to run an FTP server or something if that isn't enough for you.
>>
>>55663732
Eh, I've read about setting up a FTP server before. I could probably do it with little issues, but it wouldn't help me any. I've only got one device at the moment, my laptop with one hard drive. Isn't there like a free cloud option I could go with for now?
>>
>>55663788
Mega, Mediafire, Dropbox, etc. If I were you I'd invest in an external HDD though. I don't really use them but you can always get a hard drive 'enclosure' so if the HDD dies you can stick another one in.

After Megaupload I'd be cautious and upload your files to more than one website at a time.
>>
>>55663788
personally would encrypt any files i upload on 'free' cloud options, just a heads up that maybe you should too.

hear some stuff about git and private repos on -lab/-hub, but don't really do those myself so couldn't recommend it.
>>
>finally finished configuring linux colonel
>make && make modules_install
>as kernel compiles i remember
>UEFI is used to boot the system
>forgot to make the filesystem fat
oh for fucks sake
>>
back to page 1 with you
>>
>>55663061
Ah nice, thanks a lot.
What a retarded thing to disable.
>>
>>55664335

>bumping threads with nothing to contribute
>bumping general threads
>caring about pages when everyone uses the catalog and search feature anyway
>>
>>55664752
>using the catalog
found the newfag
>>
>>55650815
/dpt/ doesn't seem to be active right now, so I'll ask again here.

I'm a bit confused about creative commons license, specifically the share alike license. If I license software or art under cc 4 attribute share alike license, does the specific art or code only have to be under the same license or does the entire thing have to be under the same or compatible license? Can i mix code or art under share alike with code under licenses like BSD or MIT?
>>
>>55650815
Someone know a nice preview package for kde like is sushi to gnome?
>>
>>55664778
What's wrong with using the catalog
i'm not >>55664752
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 311x162px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 311x162px
How can you tell people Linux is secure when the very website of Linux Mint is hacked and filled with images containing malware?

http://thehackernews.com/2016/02/linux-mint-hack.html
>Last night, Some unknown hacker or group of hackers had managed to hack into the Linux Mint website and replaced the download links on the site that pointed to one of their servers offering a malicious ISO images for the Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Edition.
>Hackers believed to have accessed the underlying server via the team's WordPress blog and then got shell access to www-data.
>From there, the hackers manipulated the Linux Mint download page and pointed it to a malicious FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server hosted in Bulgaria (IP: 5.104.175.212), the investigative team discovered.
>The infected Linux ISO images installed the complete OS with the Internet Relay Chat (IRC) backdoor Tsunami, giving the attackers access to the system via IRC servers.
>However, the Linux Mint team managed to discover the hack, cleaned up the links from their website quickly, announced the data breach on their official blog, and then it appears that the hackers compromised its download page again.
>The hackers are selling the Linux Mint full website's database for a just $85, which shows a sign of their lack of knowledge.
>The hack seems to be a work of some script kiddies or an inexperienced group as they opted to infect a top-shelf Linux distro with a silly IRC bot that is considered to be outdated in early 2010. Instead, they would have used more dangerous malware like Banking Trojans.

TL;DR Linux Mint website got hacked by SCRIPT KIDDIES for people to download .ios containing a Trojan.

Explain yourselves Licucks

One of the biggest Licucks' website got hacked this easily and
How can they say Linux is hard to hack into?
>>
>>55665247
It's not like we didn't warn /g/, but people didn't listen and keep installing Mint.
>>
>>55665247
because the vulnerability was with wordpress which is buggy php pajeet bullshit.
>>
Old news: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
>>55665308
>>55665247
>>
>>55665240
Not him but using oldschool index is IMHO better, since it keeps you updated about all threads current state. The catalog gives you only the OP, but threads change, twist, derail - with using the index (and being able to see the newest replies) you just have a better overview.
>>
>>55665247
cracked*
>>
>>55665358
good answer
>>
File: DJI_SeptDoodlers_ABC_c.jpg (166KB, 1319x620px) Image search: [Google]
DJI_SeptDoodlers_ABC_c.jpg
166KB, 1319x620px
Is there a package or some other way that will enable spellchecking in Arch across all programs and windows?
>>
>>55661486
>Why would you need to close or open anything?
>You just right click the video or a link to it, select open with mpv, watch it
You just instructed me to open the player!

>and either do something in the browser while it plays in the corner
Something what? If I type "ESC", the player will close?

>or watch the video until you either close it from boredom or play it till the ends.
The problem is that I like to loop porn videos.
>>
>>55665707
enable loop then, jesus
>>
What is easier to hack between a server of a website or a personal computer?

Assume both run Linux.

(/sqt/ is dead so I beg your pardon)
>>
>>55665752
If I loop, I will need to open and close an external player. There is no way to play the WEBMs inside the browser? It's what I'm asking since the beginning.
>>
>>55665799
install libvpx
>>
>>55665799
gstreamer
>>
Guys I have a question regarding SSH

I can connect to my desktop from my laptop in a local network with no problem. But when I tried accessing the SSH through my public IP when I was somewhere else, the connection timed out.

How can I troubleshoot this? I tried looking around but found no answers that worked

Thanks in advance guys
>>
>>55666065
to clarify, I can troubleshoot it from my house right now, just connecting to my phone's hotspot so it's a different IP
>>
I am trying to install the terminus font on arch linux. I can set it as the default font using lxappearance but the font wont show up as a choice when I try to set the font in the terminal (gnome-terminal) or when I try to change i3status font.

xset q has shows the proper font path. I already tried rebuilding font cache and xset -fp rehash. Any ideas?
>>
Anyone know when the mouse vanishing when coming out of sleep shit will be fixed on 16.04?

Considering going back to 15:10 because it annoys me that much.
>>
>>55665707
How about you actually try it instead of looking like a retard on purpose?
>>
>>55666065
ports nigga, you gotta open 22 up on your router.

also look into getting something like noip, or duckdns set up since some isps change your ip and you wouldn't be able to log on if they do it while you are out.
>>
File: Archlinux-Nya.png (900KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Archlinux-Nya.png
900KB, 1920x1200px
Does anyone have the Arch install infographic?
>>
>no screensaver
>just simple dpms settings
>fullscreen html5 video in firefox doesn't prevent the screen from blanking

That's just one example. How come there's no standard way for programs to deal with that shit? Only mpv seems to somehow disable all DPMS settings when playing video.
>>
File: image.jpg (519KB, 2170x1070px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
519KB, 2170x1070px
>>55666219
>>
File: arch install infopgraphic.png (985KB, 1212x6812px) Image search: [Google]
arch install infopgraphic.png
985KB, 1212x6812px
>>55666219

Got you covered.
>>
>>55666237
thanks
>>55666259
:^)
>>
>>55651644
Arch or maybe Fedora. I used Debian for years, but it has very old packages to the point of archwiki pages being less helpful due to major changes in software. I just found out the other day that tons of my tmux config on my Debian server used deprecated functions, so I rewrote it for my Arch machines.

I can recommend Arch from using it for a while now on many computers and having friends using it as well. Fedora I heard has nearly as new packages, and I assume is easier to get up and running. If you do choose Arch, though, it can be made easier to install by using Architect.
>>
>>55666185
I changed the port to another number, and I already opened it on my router and on ufw

I'll look into those services later, but for now I'd just like to get the barebones working

What other info can I give you that would help?
>>
>>55666363
Did you never use Debian testing / stable, m8?

That basically addresses your only issue with Debian.
>>
>>55651995
You will feel fairly at home in the terminal, but it needs a third party package manager and much of the built in software such as bash is older than you might be used to.
>>
>>55666379
*meant testing / unstable
>>
>>55666366
i dunno pham, did you open that port for the ip address your device uses? i know i had to do that on my router.

afterwards it just werked
>>
>>55651644
Debian testing/sid is nice and easy to work with. Just make sure you install stable then upgrade
>>
>hey gais i've been using linux for years and am pretty comfortable
>which distribution should i use gaaais? pls
>i claim to have years of experience, but somehow i still haven't realized that there is only a handful of valid choice and i have to ask a stupid question in here
>i don't really know if i'm lying about my past experience or just asking really retarded questions
>or both
>thx gais

meaningfless, bike-shedding question #471471146
>>
>>55666553
Where do you think we are
>>
Do you guys use any sync software to sync between Android and Linux?

I wanted to try out Syncthing but I heard some anons saying it was botnet or something
>>
>>55666219
Don't be a pleb, follow the beginners guide.
>>55666237
retard
>>
>>55666714
That word has lost all meaning.

Syncthing is fine anon
>>
>>55666714
Try SSH fileserver
>>
>>55666427
>>55666366
>>55666185
>>55666065
I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Here's a screenshot showing my ufw status and my router config. It says "Virtual Servers", and since in the description it talks about it being for FTP, web servers, etc, I would think it's supposed to be here.

Also tried http://canyouseeme.org/ and indeed the port doesn't seem to be open from outside

Pls advice folks
>>
>>55666820
Isn't that more of a manual thing? I'm looking for something more automatic
>>
>>55666945
Update: using nmap on my laptop while connected to another network shows me that my SSH port is "Filtered", despite me having these settings on my server and router.

What else could I enable/disable in hopes of making that port Open?
>>
>>55667235
It's gotta be a router thing because nmap in the internal network shows it's open, but on the outside it's closed.
>>
>>55666945
>>55667235

Seems like it's still the router causing the trouble and not forwarding the port.

Is there a "Port Forwarding" section in the router config as opposed to Virtual Servers?
>>
>>55665851
Thank you, this solved the problem.
>>
Please help me /fglt/. How do I produce a bootable USB of Windows 7? I've got the .iso file but all the .iso to USB applications I've found just limit themselves to Linux distributions.
>>
File: w.jpg (33KB, 418x359px) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
33KB, 418x359px
>>55667611
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=install+windows+7+from+usb
>>
-> >>55667654
>>
>>55667641
>providing no help
>>>/out/
>google
kys
>frog
dumb frogposter
>>
>>55667641
Alright, so I have downloaded the .bin file of Unetbootin 494. How do I use it?

Help me with this please.
>>
File: ptm.jpg (36KB, 960x783px) Image search: [Google]
ptm.jpg
36KB, 960x783px
>>55667675
>asking for windows help in a linux thread
>>
>>55667675
>kys
Unironically kill yourself and go back to YouTube.
>>
>>55667699

Good thing this derailment is occurring in a dead thread or people might actually care.
>>
>>55667714
I can't open or use a .bin file what the fuck do I do now
>>
>>55666714
Can't you just use SSHFS? That's what I use on my Sailfish phone
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.