[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 37

File: oh-get-a-job-charlie-day.jpg (143KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
oh-get-a-job-charlie-day.jpg
143KB, 500x333px
ITT: we talk about our experience getting jobs and having jobs

I'm sick and tired of constantly being told I did well in the interview but I'm lacking experience.

>entry level job available
>requires 14 years of experience
>only pays 30k a year
>wtf.jpeg
>>
Your portfolio is shit.
>>
>>52389940
Of course it is, no one will give me experience.
>>
>>52389911
I have all the root login of all the server and computers from my last job. They let me go because they are retarded and wouldn't take any of my suggestions to improve the computing structure of the company. They wouldn't have change the passwords because they are retard.

I can really screw them over if I wanted to but I don't know how yet.
>>
You're a fucking retard, man. I have 3 years experience and one cert and I get 1-2 calls a week. Get a LinkedIn and join the illuminati
>>
>>52389952

Contribute to open source projects and create a git.
>>
>>52389957
should use an SSH and ssh into the machines and just rename all the files to penis.
>>
>2 years of experience as an IT technician
>been told by interviewers that I did better than many candidates but I don't have any certs
>have shown them projects demonstrating I can do what I say I can do but they still need muh certs
>forever stuck as a $12-15hr cuq

/g/ tells me that certs are a meme. Should I just get my A+ and CCNA?
>>
>>52389973
The only thing I don't have is a cert. Even have an AA degree in networking.
>>
>>52346373

Didn't see this thread, I guess we can migrate over there? or whatever.
>>
>>52389988

Get your certs. /g/ is a meme. Everything thread is about consumer tech or Linux v. Windows.

>>52390035
>AA with no certs

You're not going to make it. Get your ass back in school. Even if you can do the work, you won't make it past HR with those credentials.
>>
How big is your city? If you're on /g/ I assume you want something computer related.

Computer jobs of any form simply don't exist in a city that's less than 50,000 people. Grunt work of blindly reinstalling windows doesn't count.

>but they have computers there that I could manage...
outsourced to a company in a city remotely. every time.
some firms even have a hardware vpn for this, I worked with a local honda dealer once and even all of their internet traffic was routed through it. Some of them even forbid their employees to get hardware locally and force them to wait for it to be shipped to them. Or best when a PC fails and they have to wait two ways for it to be shipped out to corporate and sent back.

It's hard to just say this, but you need to move now, since you're not somebody's son or some dipshit's friend. Keep in mind that the cost of living in or around a city is going to take a large chunk out of a possible job you do land there.

I live in a city that's just on the very edge of being too small and it was extremely frustrating when I was trying for places. Just as soon as I said I had had enough and was planning on moving ANYWHERE ELSE I got an offer for web developer with a real company from an interview I had done a week before. Not like a millionaire dream job but it's certainly better by leaps and bounds from the rest and living expenses around here are quite low.
>>
>>52389988
Once I got my Net+ my job offers went from $20\h to around $55,000-$65,000/year

Get certed, fàmìlìá
>>
>>52389957
If they figure out you did something, you could find yourself unable to get an it job ever again.
>>
File: 1447738185135.gif (2MB, 200x148px) Image search: [Google]
1447738185135.gif
2MB, 200x148px
i make $25/hr as a tier 1, 2 and 3 help desk tech/backend systems admin. i have no degree and no certs. How did i land this job you ask?
>>
>ITT: we talk about our experience getting jobs and having jobs
I get calls from recruiters that have seen my LinkedIn profile all the time, but 99% of them want to hire me for some Java or C# shit.

How do I make myself unattractive to them while still being attractive for the relevant stuff?

I have a job right now btw, and I'm not looking to change any time soon.
>>
itt: people smart enough to understand that companies ask for people with solid resumes and evidences, and yet too dumb to realize that they need certs to make it into fucking technology
>>
>>52390071
I'm not going back to school just to go farther in debt.
I'd rather just get my net cert or a+ cert.

>>52390074
80k city, 120k with surrounding area's. There isn't a ton of IT related jobs here, but there are enough companies that are worth working for.
>>
>>52390186
what technology is fucking
why would I want to get between them
>>
>>52390115
Because you are a secretly a little girl?

>>52390211
Big data and the cloud are fucking. I would advise you stay away from them as they have a tendency to leak private data all over the place.
>>
>>52389952
Kek
>>
>>52390105
They would be too dumb to know I would assume. As it stands, they don't even know how the mail server works and if I just delete the server, all they would know would be that the wouldn't be able to email.
>>
>>52390128
Delete your LinkedIn account.
>>
>>52390325
Why?

>inb4 botnet
>>
>>52390128
You are literally eating /g/ shit. Java and C# are relevant.
>>
>>52390349
So you stop getting emails.
>>
>>52390350
>You are literally eating /g/ shit. Java and C# are relevant.
Except they're really not, considering how I'm doing my PhD and my field is in embedded and systems programming.
>>
Um.. I've always had to shew away recruiters. Since maybe 2002. I'm not saying that were good IT jobs they were trying to place me in, but they've always been available.

Get help with your resume. Find good recruiter that will fix it up, and send you out on interviews for jobs you can get. You're applying for the wrong jobs, either ones your underqualified for, or your resume isn't reflecting.

Get help.
>>
>>52390369
But aren't there any other way? I obviously do want to get in contact for relevant stuff, just want to avoid recruiters that have no idea about anything and will fire off emails simply because C++ has one similar character as C#.

I guess I could write "please no contact about open positions" or something in my summary and restrict who can send me these mails.
>>
>>52390383
C master race?
>>
ITT: op's mom yelled at him
>>
Perhaps this is not the right thread, but I'll give it a go.
I'm a uni student in Sfwr eng, GPA of 3.9 at an OK uni - not MIT but not shit tier either. Am a TA for 24/hour but very little hours. Looking for coop/ internship. What can I do to stand out?

I always see people going to hackathons but I have never gone. Are hackathons the only way to really grind through code for a portfolio? I know plenty of languages and tech, but have comparatively little experience.

Wat do?
>>
>>52390409
I'm probably applying for jobs above my level, but even the entry level jobs I'm applying for I'm still met with the same resistance.

I have a good looking resume, but no certs, one AA degree and little to none experience in IT due to not being able to get an entry level job
>>
What do certs actually teach you?

Are they worth getting if I have a CS degree and math minor?
>>
>>52390424
If you want a new job then search for one yourself. Don't rely on recruiters to contact you. Third party recruiters are pretty much all scum. Apply directly to a company.
>>
>>52390426
Mostly C yes, but not exclusively. I also have experience in the past with doing web dev in Python and C++.

Oh, and the stage I'm at right now in my PhD entails fiddling around with some CUDA applications too.
>>
>>52390462
>What do certs actually teach you?
Depends on the field, but mostly standards.

>Are they worth getting if I have a CS degree and math minor?
If your employer pays for them, then yes.
If not, then no.
>>
File: image_7.jpg (42KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
image_7.jpg
42KB, 472x472px
I answered an ad for a FULL TIME position at a company in Tampa, and they gave me a three fucking hour interview.

The first hour and a half was an "aptitude" test followed by a "personality" test, and the other half was the actual interview.

Both department heads I interviewed with seemed to like me a lot. They said my test scores were great, and the one said that if the other didn't hire me, he would.

Two weeks later, they offer me a fucking FREELANCE position.

After a week of emails back and forth with me constantly reiterating that I applied and interviewed for a FULL TIME position, they gave me another interview with the founder ave CEO.

She must have been on the rag or something because she came off like a huge bitch, and that I was wasting her time by being there.

Never heard from them after that!
>>
>>52390452
Just apply to jobs. There's no need to spend 1000 hours working on some shitty github project or going to hackathons.
>>
>graphics designer
>apply as junior designer
>minimum of 2 years work exp needed
>oh boy
>apply for internships
>cant get internship because MUH MINIMUM WAGE WAS SET IN PLACE
>cant get a job because why would companies get some fag for an internship for 1,2k€ monthly when they used to pay 400€ monthly

so this been my life since last year march
i gotta admit, deep down inside i already gave up i feel like my life is over already
>>
>>52389911
Got a Master's degree in computer science, moved to glorious 'Murricah where I'm being paid 125k/year (plus bonus and stock)
No student debt either because I graduated in Europe.
>>
>>52389911
>not NEET
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>52390452
apps
>>
>>52390509
do work for free and then use it on your resume as work experience.
>>
>>52390550
Don't ever do this.
>>
>>52390461
Something probably isn't right then, either with your resume, your interview, or your location. If they feel comfortable asking for years of experience for an entry level job, odds are the market is over-saturated where you live. Or your resume or interview was off-putting enough for them to stick strictly to the requirements.

>>52390498
That is definitely not a company worth working for.
>>
>>52390105
not only this but you could land in jail + bankrupt from damages they claim. You think your last job is retard about computer wait to you see the legal system.
>>
>>52390511
Wow. European trophy trap for an American, in exchange for the green card marriage?
>>
>>52390509
Yup.

I kind of fucked myself not getting certs in school but I'm only skipping basic ass certs like net+ and A+ yet it's biting me in the ass and I don't really feel like studying for them again because fuck school
>>
>>52390555
Why not? Graphic design experience is really easy to get if you do it for free.
>>
>>52390511
>glorious 'Murricah

That's right bitches.
>>
>>52390581
Most of the interviews I get tell me they're looking for someone with more experience.

For example, had an interview at a networking place here that specializes in PCI compliances. Had two separate interviews with different people each time. The last interview ended on, "if anyone who applied had their CCNA, we would have hired them instantly".
>>
>>52390555
The 5s have it.

>>52390509
Find a start up.
>>
>>52390383
>implying that whatever he's doing is relevant just because he got "muh PhD in embedoo systums"
>>
>>52390595
Well, I got married in Europe with an American when I was still penniless. Going through the green card process now so I can stay permanently.
>>
>>52389911

>working at a computer parts store
>roomie recommends me for a helpdesk position
>send resume, interview is arranged immediately
>get to interview, they ask be how to start diagnosing outlook issues under certain conditions
>wut.jpg-large
>"I gotta tell you the truth I do not know"
>two people interviewing me have a side chat for a second
>"How would you like to learn phone systems"
>sure
>first week they make me install centos and asterisk on top, then integrate freepbx from source

keep in mind freepbx has a distro and people dont usually roll their own

>take ALL WEEK to install it
>working PBX with tftp provisioning
>i can keep my job

and now im a sysadmin (jr)
>>
>>52390659
What are you even trying to say?
>>
>>52390659
if it's not relevant to him it's not relevant... that's how relevance works in communication
>>
>>52390128
you have to list your certs and specialities in plain English and then it's up to you to filter out the noise from the signal. Run a filter on your inbox that looks for the stupid generic shit the copy and paste you dont like
>>
Computer jobs belong to Pahjeet from India and the trades are dominated by Paco from Mexico. The best a white American can hope for is answering phones and filling out reports in an office somewhere.
>>
>>52390778

>Run a filter on your inbox that looks for the stupid generic shit the copy and paste you dont like
Good idea.
>>
>>52390788
THANK GOD FOR CANADA, DODGED THAT BULLET

--Bad with forms
>>
>tfw probation period

Fuck I hate it so much. I lost my job twice last year and now I'm so paranoid. I can't afford to lose it again. Fuck every time I see my manager walk away I think he's discussing my performance or talking about firing me. God damn what do guys? I can't take this anxiety any longer
>>
>>52389911
Currently a senior in college but I already have a job lined up for $75k a year. Not really that hard if you're not a retard and aren't autistic.
>>
>>52390473
CUDA is pretty neat stuff
>>
i live near DC and theres plenty of entry level jobs/internships in IT or Programming fields. Just gotta relocate.
I only ever worked retail and was able to get an IT desk job at my school, first shift is next week haha
>>
>>52390667
>marrying an American
>going through the green card process

It's OK. You may as well admit you are going to leave your partner the second you get comfortable and stable.
>>
>Be me
>Get out of military
>Go to college for mechanical engineering
>Don't enjoy it as much as I thought
>Drop out after a year
>Go back home to community college for IST
>Start a computer repair service shop
>Get hired by logistics company
>Get associates
>Profit with no portfolio or experience
>>
>>52390894
Nah, like I said, we got married when we were both penniless. Also against his homophobic family's wishes.
The green card is mostly a way of not having to deal with USCIS for 10 years.
>>
>>52390931
Damn I got excited because I'm an ME too but then you fucked up
>>
File: 1439868019007.jpg (36KB, 826x339px) Image search: [Google]
1439868019007.jpg
36KB, 826x339px
> company goes out of business so I need a new job
> go through dozens of different recruiters
> they desperately try to get me hired, I'm going through interviews and interviews
> 30 minute drives back and forth numerous times a week
> almost a year later I apply for a job on a recruiters site
> almost no money left, many bills over-due
> I need this fucking job
> recruiter literally does nothing except schedule the interview
> go to the interview and joke around for a bit
> I get hired
> okay witchcraft I'm cool with that
>>
>>52391028
Were these two different companies or the same one?
>>
File: Mike1.png (95KB, 329x343px) Image search: [Google]
Mike1.png
95KB, 329x343px
>>52391066
Two different jobs probably should've specified that
>>
File: adult_exhausting.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
adult_exhausting.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
Okay, mine is pretty amusing.

I graduated with an art degree, specializing in 3d modelling for games. Normally this means eternal unemployment and crippling debt. However, my portfolio wasn't complete shit, and I did some freelancing during studies, so I had some replies to my applications.

First reply was a few months before graduation. Did their art test, passed, was scheduled for the interview, but then they changed their mind about hiring a new artist.
Well then. Two more companies invited me for interviews after graduation. After, one of them declined without explanation. The other said that they liked me, but the other applicant had more commercial experience.

After that my rent contract at the uni ran out, so I returned to my parent's place and carried on applying. Finally, a company replied, I passed their test with flying colours, passed the interview, and moved to their city for work.

The job was pretty fun, although most things I had to do were below my skill level. Coworkers were a bunch nerdy guys like myself, mostly programmers. A lot of fun had been had.
After about half a year, their 3d art lead decided to quit and I was promoted to the lead myself. That meant managing other artists, direct communication with the management, and hiring/interviewing other people.

This was a bit less fun, because management was constantly on my ass with their requests, and replying to a bunch of unskilled applicants with the reasons why their application sucked. Still, I worked with some really cool people, so all in all it was worth it.

Fast forward a few months. The owner of the company decides to hire a new manager and concentrate on another business venture. The new guy has no fucking clue about game development, is really nosy, tells everyone how to do their jobs. Demands from the management gradually become more and more unreasonable. In the span of about a month employees become really stressed and upset.

Cont.
>>
>>52391122
Seems like there might have been some reason they couldn't give you a job at the first company. Either way congrats on your job. Hope you like it
>>
>>52390615
graphic design you can build a portfolio at least, maybe they mean for things that are less cleanly placed in a dossier or zip file
>>
>>52390720
>>52390743
Samefagging done wrong. Try again.
>>
>>52391135
Finally, after a particularly weird lead animator and myself have a confrontation with the new manager and the company owner.
Next day we are fired. Two more people quit on their own accord. Next week two more lead people quit.
What I hear over the next few months is not fun as well. A lot of people are either fired or have quit, weird replacements coming in.

In any case, the first thing I do after being fired is writing a letter to a couple of studios that develop very similar games, and are main competitors of my former employee.
One of them hires me after a small test.
Work is remote, so I moved in with my parents to help them out.
Payment is better.
Tax rate is lower where I live now.
Management is really nice and are very happy with my work.
Work hours are entirely up to me - as long as I make required stuff fast enough employer doesn't care.
Oh, and I am the lead artist as well, so I set up the visual style, give advice and create pipelines for other artists.

All in all, worked out quite well for me. Now I'm just saving money for potential future business endeavors.
>>
>>52391236
actually im >>52390695
but tell yourself what you want, no point in arguing with you

">implying that whatever he's doing is relevant just because he got "muh PhD in embedoo systums""

fox and grapes much
>>
File: 1451993118822.jpg (13KB, 379x384px) Image search: [Google]
1451993118822.jpg
13KB, 379x384px
>be an engineer working on important projects that impact the lives of thousands of people
>some cuck with a macbook writing fart apps in HTML for a fart app website makes triple my salary
>>
>>52389952

MAKE EXPERIENCE YOU FUCKING DUMBFUCK

Sit down at your computer and make something - a website, an app, a little script, a program, whatever. It can be really tiny and simple - actually the smaller and simpler the better. Don't bite off more than you can chew

Then you will have something that you can show off to employers. "Hey I made this little e-commerce website, using PHP and a MySQL database. I made a fully functioning shopping basket using the session, and the products catalogue is dynamic, as all the products are stored in the database and retrieved by PHP every time you visit the homepage."

See? It doesn't have to be something difficult, just something simple.

If you can't even be that proactive then you deserve to stay unemployed you lazy piece of shit.
>>
File: 1436231519337.jpg (71KB, 720x602px) Image search: [Google]
1436231519337.jpg
71KB, 720x602px
So /g/, my current resume should be this:
- Computer engineer (have two awards because I get the biggest grades in my class).
- I got a special condecoration when presenting my thesis (I did an expert system which could diagnosticate neurological diseases).
- 1 year of experience (merging my internships and my current job).
- I'm a programming analyst in the payroll area, do some helpdesk shit from time to time, junior sysadmin and DBA, a Java SE/EE with Spring programmer and also mess a little with networking.
- I've 4 certifications in total: 2 for Linux Admin, 1 for application design in Java with Spring and 1 is for mobile app design (this one was online and sponsored by Google).
- Also, I'm about to finish a workshop about ETL, Data Warehouse and Data Mining with Pentaho.

So, here is the question: do you think I'd get some nice eyes at my resume with this? I'm planning to migrate to Europe (starting with Spain since I've the residence).
The certifications are not international awarded like Cisco's ones and I don't know if this matters but I'm 22 yo and can talk español (native), english (really?) and 日本語 (because I'm a weeb when I'm home).
>>
>>52391520
I'm in networking, not programming, gtfo.
>>
>>52390971
how far are you along ME?
the math in uni is killing me
>>
>>52391427
>build software that is helping to innovate the entire internet
>on a macbook
sucks to be you
>>
>>52391520
>>>/b/
>>
>interview with a company.
>they had some test on their website that is to basically set up a basic MVC environment in Visual Studios from scratch in their VM and basically have a page that can put data into the database using AJAX.
>not too hard, did it in about an hour (including jerking off time)
>they call me in for an on-site interview
>5 different people, each testing me a different thing (one tested me C#, one tested me HTML and CSS, one tested me Javascript/jQuery, one tested me database and LINQ, and the last one just asked me general questions).
>each person takes an hour. total interview time: 5 fucking hours
>each person was either satisfied or impressed with what i knew
>oh this job pays 45k/yr

Fucking waste of time.
>>
>>52389911
tell them about the projects you put together by yourself

tell them about making pppoe services work for a test network, all the shit you know how to configure and when you did it

tell them about wireless projects with metered traffic, qos, rate limiting, etc etc

try out a bunch of different vpn setups

set up mpls or something and tell them about that

log everything in a journal or a blog for proof if they ask (they wont)
all they want to hear is that you've done it and understand what you're doing they dont actually expect you to have been employed
>>
interviewed at aerospace company for software development position
got turned down
now working at grocery store
>>
>>52390964
A love story just for /g/

Good on you.
>>
have got an a+ cert and linux server experience from hobby stuff i've done and cannot get a job in IT. ended up having to work from home as google's bitch
>>
>>52390186
People still get certs and think that is all it takes to not only get a job but also qualify for promotions? Cute
>>
>>52390822
Stop being a shitty employee.

Find your niche and make yourself irreplaceable
>>
>>52390852
Lined up don't mean shit till you get it boyo
>>
>>52389911
which is better, a summer research helper position at my university (paid) or an internship at credit suisse (paid) for summer after my junior year?
>>
>>52392381
You should have graduated by the end of your junior year.
>>
>>52392420
that's weird, because the internship is only available to people who have finished their junior year and haven't yet graduated
>>
>>52392435
1. Which ever one will give you the best experience and knowledge

2. Which ever one will give you the best fodder on your resume to get a better job

Pick one
>>
>>52389988
Just get em, it's not so bad
>>
>>52390498
Never trust anyone in Tampa dude that place is a fucking shit hole come to based Space Coast
>>
>BA in Linguistics
>Study abroad, fluent Mandarin
>Graduate
>Receptionist, $11/hour

Going back to school for a Master's in Computer Science.
>>
>>52389911

This code for we would prefer to hire a female and unfortunatley you have a penis
>>
>>52390695

The Chad Chronicles
>>
I got a graduate developer position straight out of uni with no experience; it was my first interview too. it only pays 50k AUD but I am thinking of it like a sort of internship. I didn't even get fantastic marks so I don't know if I got lucky or if I just did really well in the interview somehow.

Maybe the job market here just isn't as bad as I thought. It has given me a bit more confidence in my skills, but I can't help but wonder how shit the other applicants must have been for me to get the position.
>>
How fucked am I?

>Half a year shy from a CS bachelors
>No internships/work experience
>Shit portfolio
>$20,000 in student debt

I rarely get past the initial interview stages or I'm prob phased out due to lack of experience. Should I work on my portfolio? Get muh certs? Sudoku?
>>
>>52393309
Not that fucked. $28k in debt with only an AA.

Took a year and half to get myself back in form to actually do college level stuff and then 2 more years to get my AA. Went part time most of the time though and took out loans because my mom is a giant piece of shit whose a drug addict. It's whatever though.
>>
>>52393309

Probably want to get a part time job to pay off that debt asap.

That being said, I was offered a job with a CS Degree and math minor 2 months after officially graduating with no experience at all. (I didn't take it though cause I'm not in debt though lel)
>>
>>52390076

I have my net+ and I make $11.25 an hour at a fucking help desk. What is this shit?
>>
>>52393348
Dude, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

I keep seeing all these people with no certs getting sick jobs and then people with certs either getting lucky with some sick paying job or a shit paying job like yours.
>>
>>52393377

Yeah, its all about luck. I fucking hate my job, I have to travel an hour to and from it, I get paid shit, I hate the work environment. I only took it because they are the only people that would hire me.

I interviewed well on every other job as well. I feel like I have to stay for at least 6 months at this job or it doesn't count.
>>
>>52393399
I'm literally in the same boat.

Finished my AA
Getting decent amount of interviews, they all go well, but no one will hire.

did get an offer to work at apple servers but it's an hour away for $17 an hour and they wanted me full time right in the middle of school, so, I said no.
>>
>>52393447

I wish I was offered $17 an hour. The only thing keeping me at this job I'm at is the people are really nice for the most part. I feel like I would break the manager's heart if I just left without putting in much time.
>>
>>52393463
I'm glad I didn't take it though. The experience would have been great, but driving an hour and half every day and basically ditching my schooling or making 3 times as difficult to finish didn't sound appealing for only $17 an hour. And, the recruiters were fucking ass hats too.
>>
File: 1446964459597.jpg (657KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446964459597.jpg
657KB, 1600x1200px
>>52390885
Seconded
>>
>>52389957
Don't. Just don't.
>>
>>52389980
Do. Just do.
>>
File: 1452329472248.jpg (670KB, 1273x973px) Image search: [Google]
1452329472248.jpg
670KB, 1273x973px
Ah this thread is a painful reminder of getting into the system. Once you're in though, then its golden. Its the getting in is just so painful.
>>
>>52393572
That's funny, because I went through my AA constantly being told there are more jobs than there are people.
>>
>>52393609
That is true indeed. The problem is all employers want the best of the best. They're paying high salaries so they want to know they're getting their money's worth.

Just work on side projects and build your code portfolio. It speaks louder than grades.
>>
>>52389911
>work for a friend's dad at a computer repair store from when i was 17 to now (i'm 21)
>i'm the only employee
>making $9/hr
>friend's dad decides he wants to do something else w his life
>tells me I can have computer repair store
>what.jpg
just dropped out of uni and signed a lease, i'll be making $60k a year, feelsgoodman
>>
File: 1444588347089.jpg (506KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1444588347089.jpg
506KB, 720x720px
>>52393650
My story btw. It took me 5 months from my comp sci graduation to land a $50k job. 3 months later getting fired (fuck that slave working place) and then 2 months later landing a $60k job and been at it ever since. I'm an hour late sometimes and nobody cares. I code at my pace and I get no harping to hurry up. Its the life.
>>
>>52391243

no one wants to hear success stories.

we want to hear how unreasonable businesses treat marginally skilled workers so that we can take comfort in the fact that we're not alone in our sorrows.

>at uni
>last year of CS studies
>constantly hear that you need to work on getting experience during school, not after
>I took a week off school to apply to every IT job on campus
>nothing
>financial aid running out, parents not too happy about giving me money anymore
>I stretched every dollar I could
>finish school
>no job, no experience
>6 moths pass, loans due, i'm fucked
>I had been crashing at a friends dorm at uni, got kicked out
>travel back home broke af, parents pissed.
>craigslist helps to get me a shitty Chinese warehouse job.
>wageslave for a YEAR, while holding a CS degree.
>be me now, sad depressed
>making enough to get by, paying rent at home, not enough to move out.
>no CS jobs for miles from where I live.

I'm stuck in perpetual nothingness.
>>
>>52390128
Post your face
>>
>>52393730
That's because you need to fight. Its a valuable skill to know any tech knowledge in this day and age. People will pay for your skills.
>>
>>52389911
>>requires 14 years of experience
They only say this. if you aren't a babbling idiot and can talk the talk you can get a job.
>>
>>52393530
>>52393542
I can do both in like 6 months when they've forgotten what I even did in the company
>>
>>52393730
get something going in your spare time, doesn't even have to be cs related
>>
In Marine Corps, almost through ground radio repair course then it's onto the fleet
>>
>>52393274
ow lol what was that
>>
>>52391427
they successfully identified an untapped market.
>>
I was arrested by the FBI when I was 19 for hacking. I'm 25 now and done with my sentence. I'm going to assume there's a zero chance of ever going the career route, even if I get the certs and degree.
>>
>>52394132
Why not work for the FBI?
>>
>>52393730
ty anon. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who fell for the meme.
>>
>>52389988
Don't bother with your a+. CCNA and RHCE are all you'll need to land six figures. Shit's not hard, we're glorified plumbers. Read manuals.
>>
>>52393730

Where the fuck do you live? Also, you dun goofed by not networking/workin them job fairs
>>
>>52394180

They offered as part of a plea deal and I declined. I've got a conscience, anon. I'll just create a consulting company and compete for contracts or do freelance work.
>>
>>52393309
Fuck, are you me? You literally described my situation to the T, correct debt amount and all.
>>
>>52392731
I've moved back to WNY since then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>be me
>obtained bachelor of computer science degree this past summer
>decent gpa (3.7) at decent university
>very relevant courses (ai, mobile apps, databases, etc)
>always had better finished projects than peers
>but never had internship so I have no connections
>apply for entry positions for past months to all sorts of different places, small or large
>only smaller companies reply and interview me, not a single large company responds
>make it all the way through every interview processes (phone screens, code tests, 3+ hour in person interviews) at multiple places
>someone else always gets the job
Shit fucking sucks, at least I don't have any debt. Thanks mom and dad.
>>
HERE ARE SOME FUCKING TIPS FOR YOUR RESUME
If you don't have much related work experience, make a large related skills area.
If you do have work experience, but not much is related, try giving vague points about the jobs (Customer service skills, quick data analysis, flexibility in schedule, et cetera). Don't go into the specifics of your job if they aren't related.
If had previous work experience in related field, feel free to specify on related projects/work.
4 or 5 points per job, that's it.
At the interview table, don't be afraid to ask for what you want. Don't be a dick about it, but companies like seeing people take initiative.

Of course, you need your proper requirements for a job. But after that, it doesn't matter whether you were the smartest or hardest working bastard in the class. The person who gets the best job is the one who can sell themselves the best.
>>
>>52394311

Sorry to hear. All throughout college I was hearing bout people saying CS was an in-demand market, etc. Posts in this thread definitely feel otherwise. I want to feel cheated, but it's my own fault for not networking better I guess

Hope your shit works out
>>
I'm at an info sec job here in the Midwest making 85k
>>
>>52394433
bachelor of science in computer science, or a bachelor of computer science?

because there are serious differences in the value of the education you recieve
>>
>>52394582
bs cs
>>
>>52394132
Move to russia/china
>>
>>52394298
>Networking
This shit right here. And even with networking, you don't need as assload of school. I went to a 1 year college IT and Network support (set us up to write CompTIA A+/Linux+/Networking and/or CCNA Routing and Switching or CCNA Security), and people actually came to our school looking to hire us. Mostly because at community college, it's actual fucking experience and lab testing, as opposed to "theoretical" shit at uni. Most work places are also willing to keep you certified and pay for new certs, but ALWAYS try to find a way to throw some initiative their way during work. Most people just do their job, nothing more, then expect raises/promotions.
>>
>>52394621
don't forget sales jobs.

i graduated may 2014, clear 145k+/yr now and work mostly from home/customer offices
>>
>>52394636
Nice.
What were the job requirements for that, anon?
>>
>>52393722
That's awesome. Are you hiring?
>>
>>52393722
Enjoy sinking in debt when your business fails
The PC repair business is declining because everyone uses tablets and smartphones now, or goes to Geek Squad.
>>
>>52394829
This. Repair is great if you work at an office, but even then, you really gotta have something else if you wanna move anywhere.
As sad as it is to say, there's a reason people in hardware/Windows repair don't get paid much. Because it's so damn simple, and repair "experts" expect people to fucking praise them for doing said simple job.
>>
>>52393727
What's your job title
>>
My story

>Studying EE. Hate it, but too late to switch
>Start programming and working on random projects on my own time (End of sophomore year)
>Build enough small projects to make my resume not look retarded
>Apply EVERYWHERE
>End up getting software development internship at huge tech company (end of junior year)
>Do well at internship and get full time offer
>Finish off last year of college and barely graduate (2.6 GPA)
>Go back to company now making around 120k total compensation
>Job is comfy, but generally interesting. Work is super customer facing.

I think what caused me to stand out over other people is I had a good amount of projects (3 completed, non trivial projects) on my github. I got pretty good at building out systems and making them work together. Being able to do this will make you stand out quite a bit from the mass of CS students who are only able to write up a simple single method solution to a homework assignment

Note: A lot of people who go this route forget to brush up on algorithms and other CS stuff. You will have a really hard time getting past interviews without having a decent grasp on this.
>>
>>52390964
>his
>>
>>52390636
Experience =/= Certs.
Even Cisco certs are affordable on a low income, so why not just take them?
>>
File: kukuru.gif (683KB, 500x482px) Image search: [Google]
kukuru.gif
683KB, 500x482px
>uncle is it project manager at large company, worked for others and still has friends there
>other uncle is vp of another company
>mfw both said to call them for a job when i graduate
>>
>>52389911
Welcome to being a NEET, going on 3 years here at probably somewhere close to 700 applications
>>
Trying to get a job in networking
What can i do at home for little money to add to my resume?
>>
>>52393722
Start specializing in smartphone and tablet repairs and you will stay in business.
>>
>>52389988
Certs aren't a meme, they're quite important. Just get them and deal with it.
>>
>Only have HS diploma
>3 classes away from AA but it's math, public speaking and English 102
>been working for the past 3 1/2 years making electronics
>have taught myself Linux basics, basic c/c++, python, HTML, CSS, and JS
>fix friend's computers all the time
>know how to solder
>could probably pass A+ with a few weeks of studying
>can't even job shadow the help desk

What the actual fuck? I applied and got pretty far, and I know my stuff... I just want out of my current position.
>>
>>52390550
This is the worst thing he can do
>>
>>52394785
not until I know I have what it takes to keep the business afloat!
>>
>>52395504
why?
>>
>>52395519
It makes you a kek.
>>
>>52395308
that is one of the first things I plan on doing. was also considering doing house calls, custom pc builds, recruiting a small army of advertisers to look for business on all the local college campuses.
>>
>>52395523
stuff you can put in your portfolio is always good
>>
>>52389973
>I have 3 years experience and one cert and I get 1-2 calls a week
I wouldn't fucking want to get bothered by calls ever other week if I'm already employed.
>>
>>52391520
But I don't get paid for that
>>
>>52394498
Story time.

Back when I was in high school in '06, bachelor's degrees were being pushed like no other, and going to college was the most important thing in the world and a guaranteed meal ticket. I was pumped. When people asked me what I would major in (or what I WAS majoring in, in college), I eagerly told them that I would major in a CS-related field. They were always so impressed, "OMG Anon, you're going to get a great job!"

Now that I've graduated with the illustrious degree in CS (and $20,000 in debt), I can hardly find work. And none of the work I find is in CS. No amount of networking helped me either. Plenty of other people with far more experience and contacts than I had were struggling to pick up IT monkey positions. The only people who were really hiring were call-centers and big-box stores.

I feel like I've been lied to this entire time. Like everyone bullshitted me, or perhaps everyone was simply ignorant of the future. Like the last few years of my life were a waste. Fuck me if I've never felt like putting a bullet in my head. I guess I can't really blame them for not knowing what the world would be like a decade down the road.

If there's one thing I've learned from this mess, it's to never put much stock in someone else's assessment of what it takes to be successful in the future.
>>
>>52395541
Why would a company pay you a decent salary when they know that you're a beta kek who will work >for free?
>>
You know what's funny about all this, if you gotta do some of it for free. Get those hot pockets ready boys
>>
>>52395582
You're not looking five years down the road right note, you're looking at the present. And yes, doing that won't help present you, but it well help you in 2021. You'll know shot and will make 60k a year because you say down and learned how to make "Hello World" in ASM. Just fucking do it, anon; future you will thank you.
>>
>>52395593
If you want to be conspiratorial (and reasonably so in this case) you can tell why people were saying things like college (and CS in particular) being a meal ticket and that's because silicon valley companies were tired of paying their employees large amounts of money. Saturate the field and increase the competition by spreading the idea that everyone should get a CS degree and you reduce the wages that your employees are willing to work for- after all there's always someone else who'll take their job.
I consider this a bit extreme to be the only explanation but if you combine it with the perceptions of the past where college really was a gravy trains and you have 'speaking about the labor market as if it was 20 years ago' mixed with actual industry conspiracy.
Today the industry isn't hiding the fact they're shilling CS degrees to force wages down.
>>
>graduate
>apply for entry level programming jobs
>no replies
>swallow pride and ask dad if he has any contacts
>get internship at ones of his acquaintances companies
>im supposed to be doing web stuff
>i have never done web stuff in my entire life
>after a month, boss walks in
>"you're a weird guy anon but i like your style, you want to work at one of my startups?"
>"yes sir"
>im now hired fulltime as a web dev
not what i expected but at least i got a fucking job
>>
File: 1422006674916.jpg (42KB, 374x325px) Image search: [Google]
1422006674916.jpg
42KB, 374x325px
>all the qualifications in the world mean nothing because of severe social anxiety
>>
Worst case scenario, get a job in Japan. They need all the IT engineers they can get. They even set up your work visa and get you a place to live. You need to learn japanese though.
>>
>>52395603
Doing work for free reduces the pool of labor overall. It's a tragedy of the commons kind of thing- you do work for free to increase your chances of getting picked in the good goy lottery, reducing the pool of work to be done overall, decreasing the amount of jobs available.
>>
>>52395644
Nigga, really? Do you not want money? Do you not love IT? If both answers are true, then just do it.
>>
>>52395593
I thought the point of getting a degree was just to back your git
>>
anyone in this thread have a BS math or applied math? I think it seems neutral enough for me to go into and could allow me to shoehorn a position in whatever company I want
>>
>job hunting for weeks
>finally get an interview for a decent job
>hour and a half drive
>shitty car that I doubt would survive that kind of commute
fuck me
>>
File: 00606_6JcqBIu6S1Q_600x450[1].jpg (31KB, 600x220px) Image search: [Google]
00606_6JcqBIu6S1Q_600x450[1].jpg
31KB, 600x220px
I keep seeing this shit on Craigslist when I look for jobs.
>>
>>52395664
Wow I can't believe you just found a cure for all psychological disorders.
>>
>>52395631
Heh, I see your point and I do see some merit in that conspiracy theory. Everything just seemed to fit together so nicely, too. If there isn't any conspiracy, the effects are all the same. A flooded job-market with degrees that no longer give anyone an edge because everyone has an edge. For the past few years, I've said it was an employer's market, even in my field. My peers didn't believe me, but, then again, they aren't looking for work with worthless CS degrees (they have worthless liberal arts degrees).

Right now, though. I'm just exhausted and jaded because of all this bullshit. Ah, there has to be more to life.

As an aside, I used to say that a network security degree offers the most financial security of any degree. If it can't get you a job, you can always turn to a life of lucrative cyber-crime.
>>
>>52389911
14 years? SAP dev?
>>
>>52395745
In sorry, anon. I'd help you out if we were neighbors.
>>
>>52395728
>I thought the point of getting a degree was just to back your git

There are a few points. The point that was always pushed on me, and the rest of my high school graduating class, was that it was a guaranteed meal ticket. Too bad I was just a dumbass kid who didn't have any life experience or intelligent mentors. I wish someone would have smacked me upside the head and told me to think a little more about what I was getting into.
>>
File: lenovo314_1.jpg (150KB, 1600x710px) Image search: [Google]
lenovo314_1.jpg
150KB, 1600x710px
>have bachelors and masters degree
>graduate feb 2015
>find full time role in Aug 2015
>replacing a manager leaving in 3 days
>only hired me because I'm bilingual (guess which one)
>get assistant manager title after 3 days training
>get 40k
>the IT guy teaching me shit about computers and the server all day so that he has replacement when he goes on holiday
>people now coming to me for help with their shit laptops (everyone has the lenovo yoga 3 with useless touch screen)
>people now blame me for IT problems
>feel bad for IT guy going through this shit daily
>>
>>52395794
Well feel good anon, cuz you just did that for someone else.
>>
>>52395763
The only people who are allowed to have any kind of psychological disorder are those who have been in a war, witnessed the untimely death of a loved one, or have been raped.

Have you ever bombed a village of civilians? Did mom or Dad get shot in front of you by a crook? Has your anus been forcibly probed by another man?

No?

Then get off your ass and live life.
>>
>>52395765
There's a lot of solid ground to work a theory out of. Silicon valley has been caught in wage-fixing and anti-trust shit with employees before, CS workers aren't unionised at all, and you can just look at the whole push for women to get into CS. It's to decrease wages and get PR points at the same time.
Well that and all the promotional material that silicon valley shits out to get people in CS. It's increasing now as the truth about the job market is getting out.

It's fairly sad though because there's still a shittonne of money in CS theoretically, but it's not translating into vast employment. People who code were thought to be making the new world but the money is now in analysing data to serve ads to sheep.
>>
>>52395422
they won't look at anyone without a degree these days
fuck even my dad with 20+ years in the company he works for can't move up past where he is because he never finished college
>>
>>52391520
>not using rails
>>
>>52395797
Only 40k for a managing position? Yikes.
>>
>>52395818
I've had my dad leave me, been surrounded by death including one of my only friends, my brother, and my grandfather, and have actually hit a pedestrian while driving. Am I allowed to have severe suicidal depression and mild anxiety based by your standards?
>>
how do I unJust myself?
It's not too late to change my cs major, but what else do I do that won't have an oversaturated market?
>>
>>52395797
The pain of being an IT monkey. No respect. I still haven't figured out why, either.
>>
>>52395858
The market isn't oversaturated.
>>
>>52395818
OW THE EDGE
>>
>>52395837
Shit, that sucks. Looks like I've got some studying to do in order to shell out $200 for an A+.
>>
>>52395818
>The only people who are allowed to have any kind of psychological disorder are those who have been in a war, witnessed the untimely death of a loved one, or have been raped.

Well can you tell that to my brain, it seems to want to be depressed and suicidal all day, it's annoying
>>
>>52395852
Mybad Anon, I'm sorry. My friend died last year too. I know where your coming from. But still, don't give up.
>>
>>52395874
It wouldn't be the worst 200 bucks you've ever spent, trust me
>>
>>52389957
Make them do your intensive computing for you, pal
>>
>>52395850
I only got the title so the clients the manager was looking after don't feel bad when a new kid takes over his role
they treat me like an intern
make me moves boxes and shit

lucky its a global company and after 2 years just going to use title as assistant manager in global company to get higher paid roles (hopefully)
>>
File: mfw.png (499KB, 691x520px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
499KB, 691x520px
>mfw I shelled out the money for an A+ test voucher

>mfw that voucher is now expired
>>
>>52395862
Because everyone is onto how simple the job is. but too lazy to do it themselves...
>>
>>52395835

Yes, I noticed the push to get women into CS and, especially, get women into colleges for CS degrees. I figured there was more than PR and good feelings behind all that bullshit.

>People who code were thought to be making the new world but the money is now in analysing data to serve ads to sheep.

Hell, my degree isn't even in coding and that is depressing as shit.
>>
>>52395858
If you have a few thousands, flip houses in low income neighborhoods. My uncle does that (lives in the south). Makes hundreds of thousands a year and barely does shit.
>>
>You need your certs
But I need this job to get the money to get my certs, I demonstrated that I know what I'm doing
>You still need your certs
;_;
>>
>>52395916
Work fast food until you get your certs, then get the fuck out to do what you dream of doing.
>>
>>52395908
Don't tempt me, anon. I'd probably end up bankrupting myself.
>>
File: 61206775.jpg (99KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
61206775.jpg
99KB, 400x400px
>>52390498
If you're looking for a job in Tampa, Labtech Software needs technicians like a Lahey needs a drink.
>>
File: 1447693532062.jpg (63KB, 722x349px) Image search: [Google]
1447693532062.jpg
63KB, 722x349px
What job could I get that's related to autocad?
I remember enjoying the fuck out of that back in high school and consistently getting A's
>>
>>52395858
Most markets are saturated or soon to be saturated, by the time a market is said to be "unsaturated" it is well on its way to being oversaturated. My advice to you is to take your degree and specialize into some useful field.

>Do one thing and do it well.
>>
>>52395931
seconded
>>
>>52395930
I don't have a degree and 3 years experience in fast food services though
>>
>>52395862
work hierarchy
1. Project managers
2. Engineers
3. Sales/Marketing scrubs
4. Accounts plebs
5. Receptionist
6. The cleaner
7. Guy that brings our mail
8. IT Guy
>>
>>52395889
I appreciate the sentiment man, I just needed to vent. Shit like that's been happening my whole life and I'm fucking tired of it...

Sorry to hear about your friend.
>>
>>52395941
>powerful IT automation software
>litterally telling me to work myself out of a career
>>
>>52395953
Now you're just fucking with me.
>>
>working nights full-time at Burger King
>was going to community college but stopped because life
>no certs
>had an interview this morning
>for a fucking custodian position
>I'm "in the pool" because the school with the opening is full of old-ass custodians and it'd be "overwhelming" since I have no experience as a custodian
I just want something that's not fast food so Ivan have some extra money to enjoy things and save up for certt or something. I'm not even sure what direction I'd wanna go.
>>
>>52395945
https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?keyword=autocad&Location=&AutoCompleteSelected=&search=Search
>>
>>52395953
Ride never ends.
>>
>Get bachelor of commerce in finance from the top ranked school in my country
>Get recruited from the largest, oldest and most trust life insurance company in my country
>Should be able to pull over 250k this year and it's my third year working there
>Made over 140k my first working there
>I make my own hours and spend my days "networking". I'm only in the office like 10 hours a week.
>>
>>52395953
3 years in fast food means you can survive any bullshit at work
>>
> CS degree
> focus on ASP.NET MVC
> Get offered 5/7 jobs I solicited for

Maybe you're all just focusing on the wrong language/technology?
>>
It's been 2 years since I got out of prison n I still can't find a job. Thanks b for ruining my life.
>>
How hard is it to get a job without college education? My programming background is pretty shotty. Been programming Minecraft mods for almost 4 years now and I'm very familiar with Java. I also know a bit of C# making scripts for NinjaTrader. I just started learning C++ to make .dll injectors and hacks for video games.

Where can I get more professional experience? How do you get into "contributing to open source software"?
>>
>>52395930
I applied to fast food a block away from me, specified at the top that I'd work graveyard, they never called
>>
i was an engineer for some time

i have no interest in climbing the corporate ladder

is there anything productive that i can do that doesn't involve mindlessly climbing the corporate ladder?
>>
>>52390115
Connections?
>>
File: mfw.jpg (15KB, 254x316px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
15KB, 254x316px
>be me
>be of coloured skin variety
>be in Sydney
>feelsbadman
>>
>>52396010
>How do you get into "contributing to open source software"?
See github.
>>
I have a job as a c# "programmer"

but actually I do little programming because we use custom framework and libraries so I don't even get to do anything interesting other than design the UI with these frameworks.
There are days in which I don't write a single line of code.

I hate this, I'm stagnating, not learning anything new anymore, barely got time to do anything in the free time
>>
>>52396025
Explain yourself
>>
>>52396016
collect anime junk, starwars shirts

Visit the NEW J-LIST NOW!!

Amazing selection for Star Wars fans!
>>
File: MTIwNjA4NjM0MjAzODMzODY4.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MTIwNjA4NjM0MjAzODMzODY4.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>52396036
im japoreanese
>>
>>52391427
Why not just become a webdev? Sure you're gonna hate it, but with your superior skills you should be able to do twice the work the San Fran hipster does in half the time
>>
>>52393463
You should ask for a raise Anon.
>>
>>52395896
Their server is weaker than my desktop desu. They aren't exactly a large, high tech company.
>>
File: rarepepe.jpg (329KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rarepepe.jpg
329KB, 1600x1200px
>>52390071
fuck certs and fuck the system
things won't change until anons refuse them
>>
>>52395598
You don't have to tell them if they don't ask.
>>
>>52396007
/g/ is trying to look for work programming haskel
>>
You guys still have good life.
What if i tell you Im dirt broke,living in eastern europe where working as a waiter gets you 1 $/h,virgin,24,and just finished hard uni that wont land me good job for at least two years because of government laws requiring for me to work under some existing business which of course will pay me minimum wage of $150 a month.

Im fucking crying here
>>
File: 1352163629086.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1352163629086.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>3 out of 4 years into degree
>get job entirely relevant to degree, decent salary, full time, little to no experience
>they throw me in the deep end from day one and i'm basically doing what someone with minimum 5 years experience would be doing
>stressful as fuck
>already questioning my life decisions two weeks in and considering another career path
is this what a real job feels like because i'd rather go back to being a mooch
>>
>>52396059
What's wrong with being a jap in Sydney?
>>
>>52394303
>They offered as part of a plea deal and I declined
I would've taken that. Getting paid to do illegal stuff legally sounds like fun
>>
>>52390498
How badly did you want this job? Clearly not enough to do a month or two of freelance work.
>>
>>52391590
Spain isn't the best country to work. Source: I'm living in spañistan.
>>
>>52395123
>non trivial projects
when do projects stop being trivial and become non trivial?
>srs question
>>
>>52396173
you must be white
>>
File: 1452298421289.jpg (179KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
1452298421289.jpg
179KB, 980x735px
Is programming fucked up where you guys live?
Here in the Canadian Maritimes, we have so many university students who get a bachelors in CS, and they have no clue how hardware works, and they can't program their way out of a wet paper syntax error.
So many of them graduate with no real experience making anything useful because university (at least around here) is all about testing, not about applying skills. The market for programmers got so oversaturated, and the ones who do get jobs spend their time making shitty VB projects. They then go back to university to get another degree to see if they have good enough marks to continue into a masters program, and if not, salvage some transferable credits and take another 2 or 3 years.

By the time they start, any normal person would already be well off in their career path.
>>
>>52396217
When you can talk about it to the interviewer in some detail and they don't think you are retarded. Half of it is being able to market the project and not actually any of the difficulty involved in actually doing it.
>>
intervier: what are your hobbies?

/g/ook: i collect anime figures and posters

interviewer: thanks for your time, we'll update you if you got the role
>>
>>52396157
Keep working at it, man. You got it lucky if your employers are giving you that. Most people would kill to have work out of their field. Most the times, people get jobs lower than they'd be qualified to do. Working hard is good for learning.
>>
>>52396261
I don't know what to say to this bullshit. I always say generic shit like reading, watching movies and going to the gym.
>>
>>52396218
Thank you for enlightening me
But I really don't see what the problem is
>>
>>52396244
>market the project
does this mean setting up a selling pitch like
>this app is jerking you off who doesn't want to be jerked off
?
>>
>all these people struggling to get jobs
>complaining about $12/hr
>mfw I work as a server at a busy sports bar
>it's not uncommon for me to rake in $150 for a 6 hour shift
>I do this 6 days a week and make around $750 minimum a week doing the easiest shit possible
>made $355 last Saturday on a 10 hour shift

You autists just need to apply yourselves, goddamn. Just because you don't get the first job you apply for doesn't mean there aren't other opportunities in the meantime.
>>
>>52396553
>works at sports bar
>tells others to apply themselves
>>
>>52389988
/g/ is a meme
>>
I failed nearly 20 interviews in a row.
Get on my level brah
>>
>>52389957
>screams about how the upgrade to windows 10 is a waste of money and they should all use gentoo
>tries to force legal to use libre office
>amazon is stupid we should use our own servers in house

i'd fire a /g/ fag too
>>
File: feel2.gif (145KB, 680x846px) Image search: [Google]
feel2.gif
145KB, 680x846px
>>52396630
>drop out of college
>apply for dual apprenticeship kinda thing (german ausbildung)
>send out 120 applications for different positions in development and system administration
>15 interviews
>all but one decline afterwards, the one that i get accepted on is done after 20 minutes
they were okay with me not knowing what HTML meant
i drove 100km to disappoint them, show off my shitty grades but accept me anyway. i hate the job but it's better than eternal NEET-life and my family isnt as disappointed in me anymore
i dont even know if i want to continue working in IT after the apprenticeship is done in 1.5 years. this shit is just as soulless as the factory packing jobs i used to do during holidays, now it's just more complicated and my coworkers hate me
>>
File: jacquefrescoonlythefuture.png (103KB, 220x245px) Image search: [Google]
jacquefrescoonlythefuture.png
103KB, 220x245px
http://a.pomf.se/uehdiu.pdf
>>
>>52393447
Honestly, you an idiot. In networking it all goes down to experience and certs. That was a decent payed job that would get you experience. From a guy who dropped out of school for a job in networking I can say it worked a lot better than my classmates at the time who are mostly stuck without experience.
>>
>>52395848
>using rails
>>
>>52396217
This (>>52396244) is half right. Being able to spend some time talking in detail about the project and what technical obstacles you had to overcome to complete it is a good indicator the project is non trivial. Marketing the project is not really the right idea.
>>
>get internships in college very easily by simply applying, remaining consistent, and doing it early
>apply to a handful of jobs before graduating
>accept a position+salary offer in last year of uni

idk why people have such a hard time with this. but then i also live on the West coast where it's pretty easy to find work between start-ups, government, and the big tech companies.
>>
>>52399108
>now it's just more complicated and my coworkers hate me

are they all turks and syrian "refugees"?
>>
>>52395899
The certificates also expire now anyway anon, fuck em.
I got my A and N+ just before the changeover and for free no less.
Can safely confirm they have done absolutely nothing for me. Also have microsoft certs that mutate into a brand new acronym every few years for no real reason, I've got 4 acronyms now, none of them impressive.
>>
been NEET for 2 years, living with my GF. She wants to get hitched, which requires getting a job to get dad approval.

Went and grabbed my CCNA and started applying for network admin positions. Applied to *nix sys admin position at a datacenter and got the gig.

Only pays 50k, was shooting for 60 with the networking stuff, but it's good enough for me.

All of my IT experience has nothing to do with systems administration, so we'll see how my trial period goes.

Any tips for a first-time enterprise-grade sys admin?
>>
>>52400308
You already doing better than 90% of the people in this thread.
Enjoy your life.
>>
>>52396181
It was more a matter of them trying to take me for a ride right of the bat, but either way, I already had a full time position lined up elsewhere.
>>
>>52400308
>wants to get hitched
Don't fucking do it, anon. Keep your newfound money and your assets to yourself. If she doesn't want to stay with you regardless, then she doesn't love you that much.
>>
>>52394180
>Why not work for the FBI?
>>52394303
>They offered as part of a plea deal and I declined.

If only there were more like you, anon.
>>
>>52402066

Thanks. It was hard to turn down such a deal. Its a rare opportunity that such a deal is even offered - neither my judge nor my attorney had heard of such a thing before.

I have a fundamental problem with the way FBI "investigations" work. Namely, they find a target, use a paid CI and an unlimited budget to prod him towards breaking the law and then swoop in at the last minute to "save the day." This is especially true with domestic terrorism cases.

I didn't want to be a part of that, so elected to serve 3 years in jail and 3 years of probation instead.
>>
>>52402339
Seems like a movie. Could you tell a little more about what did you do? Stole money? Cracked any big company?
>>
>>52397848
The company would still be using XP if those XP computers they bought from bestbuy still functioned. They have no off site backup and before I was hired, no onsite backups either.
>>
>>52402766

Oddly enough, I was contacted by the Discovery channel shortly after to appear on one of those "I almost got away with it" shows. I declined.

I exploited firmware in ATM machines that allowed root access with a default password. It was a known bug that had been patched in newer machines. To get around this, I was able to reflash newer machines remotely to install the old, unpatched firmware. Once on the network I would alsi map the location of the all the ATMs maintained by that particular company based on -get this- a plaintext file on the network that correlated physical addresses with their network IP addreses.
>>
>>52393768
I have, or do you mean here?
>>
>>52393331
Been there brah. Keep your head up
>>
>>52397848
the last one is true though.

AWS is shit and setting up a generic openstack shit isn't fucking hard
>>
>graduated college with a shitty 2.5 GPA
>knew a dude that worked at a company
>take the interview and don't do amazing or anything
>still get hired
>years later still here being practically a star employee and being the supervisor to new employees that will be doing shit I used to do
Feels good. Don't forget to network. Assholes like me will get the job over you and your great grades if you don't know someone.
>>
File: 1430080460460.jpg (7KB, 267x267px) Image search: [Google]
1430080460460.jpg
7KB, 267x267px
>mfw I live in the Seattle metro
>mfw recruiters call me every week for jobs
>mfw

It's about location, guys. If you have to make the move, do it
>>
>>52389957
Same happened to me.. I didn't do anything really, but I did reword loads of shit on one of their bigger clients website's... Changed it from green energy terminology to deal green.
>>
>>52389973
Feels nice getting all these recruiters constantly hounding me.
>>
>>52389957
step 1: ssh dick@someserver
step 2:dick@someserver> sudo rm -rf /*
step 3: lolz at rekt company.
>>
>>52403230
Ultimately if you have an idea of what you're doing, played with stuff (and still do) in your off time with relevant technologies/tools, and express genuine interest in learning you'll make a good candidate.

If you don't, only bothered with classwork and barely went past that then you're setting yourself up for failure or a shit start.

GPA hardly matters unless you're going into grad school or some particular program.
>>
>>52403359
Doesn't matter to me at all anymore with 3 years development experience under my belt honestly. That plus the company is paying to get me a certification which should up my value even more.
>>
File: Person-using-the-Uber-app-014.jpg (620KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Person-using-the-Uber-app-014.jpg
620KB, 2560x1536px
>>52389911
I am in a middle of an multi-platform application project. Its has 60% similarity of any taxi/client software like pic related.

Do you guys know where can I find developers who have experience with GPS and GPRS?

You can contact me on
[email protected]
>>
>>52403402
Overseas payment btw
>>
>>52403402
I suggest getting your own domain and email hosting if you are serious about making a company.
>>
>about a year back an on campus tech convention talk to a few friends at the booth for the company they work at
>company sounds alright, give them my resume to give to their boss
>boss emails me, says he likes what he sees
>offers full time internship (paid) in summer with part time work in fall with remote work
>asks for what position I'd like to do mostly frontend or backend/administration and an interview date
>give both
>goes completely silent for 3 days
>day that I gave him for my interview he emails back that he already gave the position out

I'm still salty about it, seems like a dick move to just stop all communication when we were going back and forth every day.

>same company a year later
>friends hear of a position that might be appropriate for me involving Linux administration
>forwards me the current top dude's email address and whatnot
>email the dude about it, ask him if I can give him a copy of my resume to see if I may be a fit
>goes silent and haven't heard from him since

What is with this company and just going completely fucking dead silent?
>>
>>52403394
Yeah, just saying mostly for the other people reading.
>>
>>52403452
They are probably fucking with you specifically at this point.
>>
>>52403496
Eh, the two dudes I know wouldn't. The company probably is though.

Gonna try to go for a different company up north, at least that place seems nice and works with all the shit I like.
>>
>>52403452

If you have this experience with other companies then the problem is you.

If this is the only one, then they're just jackasses that treat people as disposable. You probably wouldn't want to work there anyway.
>>
>>52403606
>If you have this experience with other companies then the problem is you.
It's literally just this company, they're the only ones that have done this.

Pretty annoying, it's not like I'm asking for a lot, just want to ask about a junior position.
>>
>>52397848
> >amazon is stupid we should use our own servers in house
It's true. AWS is for startup hipsters. Serious biuisnesses have at least one rack filled with patch panels, switches, phone exchange HW and their own servers.
>>
I got pretty lucky

>Jan 2014
>Living in Germany, unemployed
>Say "fuck it", sell all my shit until it fits into a backpack and travel through the UK
>Do the RHCSA cert in between
>June 2014
>Out of money, start applying
>Get hired after three applications
>25k britbongs
>Job is nice, people are awesome
>2015
>Got pay rise to 32k
>This week
>Got a 48k offer, but declined because I dont like the tasks
>feels good

Thanks for reading my blog
>>
File: br_cr.jpg (35KB, 494x449px) Image search: [Google]
br_cr.jpg
35KB, 494x449px
I've couldn't get promoted to better position in an international Big Corp because HR wanted to hire a woman no matter what.
They have some stupid "30% women in workforce" program which is more important than experience and anything. Fuck this gay Earth.
>>
I have an interview next week for a tech support position. They'll probably ask me some times I've had to solve computer issues myself, but I can't think of anything that isn't either so basic and unimpressive like restarting the computer, or something too technical that isn't relevant to the position like upgrading drivers. Can anyone help with some good stuff I could mention?
>>
>>52404354
Tell them you know how to install adobe
>>
sorry /g/ you'll find something, i work for the corporate overloads and it's great

>offer before graduation $100k + bonus
>$130k total comp last year
>wfh whenever (like right now!)
>>
>>52404717
>wfh
????
>>
>>52404354
tell them you know how to open the control panel in 5 different ways.
>>
File: 21fc17da92a58e1f2a5b9a398ae5a55e.png (545KB, 732x1000px) Image search: [Google]
21fc17da92a58e1f2a5b9a398ae5a55e.png
545KB, 732x1000px
>tfw attended a job shadow at a bank's IT department recently
I know what I want to do w/ my life, /g/.
>>
>>52404789
I know how to fresh install windows 10, you think I can get a job in IT?
>>
>>52404777
work from home
>>
File: ff20f134e6f761490b82206d432aa165.jpg (540KB, 752x1062px) Image search: [Google]
ff20f134e6f761490b82206d432aa165.jpg
540KB, 752x1062px
>>52404354
tell them you know how to run apps as admin.
>>
>>52404717
> lying on 4chan
post github or stfu
>>
>>52404354
Install gentoo on a 15 year old thinkpad and do a show and tell in the interview.
>>
File: f238d5cb0637f34ca2e8589d0c7087.jpg (215KB, 850x1189px) Image search: [Google]
f238d5cb0637f34ca2e8589d0c7087.jpg
215KB, 850x1189px
>>52404354
tell them you can block hentai/porn on your lan
>>
>>52404354
tell them you can change set plug in 2 monitors to 1 workstation
>>
File: 1443240926963.jpg (85KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
1443240926963.jpg
85KB, 700x483px
>>52404843
oh sick, congrats then anon
>>
>>52404917
thx anon

>>52404857
all the work is proprietary code and not really interested in giving up my identity here
>>
>>52393348
Honestly, it's probably location. If you're not in areas where there's a lot of jobs in general.. then your IT jobs are going to have shit pay.

I was working construction loved the pay but hated the work. I got my A+ wound up applying for a school district in Houston as an entry level IT guy with no professional experience. I got the job and they started me at 40k.

Move to bigger areas with cost of living is lower. Move to Texas. We're throwing money at people compared to cost of living.
>>
File: cb67b0448c5cde2416fadf04b9.jpg (184KB, 850x1275px) Image search: [Google]
cb67b0448c5cde2416fadf04b9.jpg
184KB, 850x1275px
>>52404354
tell them you can lift over 50 pounds.
>>
>>52395874
Isn't it $400 now? $200 voucher per test?
>>
>>52395958
Work for an actual tech company and it's vastly different. If you work for a company whose main business is other than IT. It's been exactly like this in my fucking experience.
>>
>>52401775
This bitch was already supporting his NEET ass. I think she's a keeper.
>>
>>52404354
joke responses aside, tell them you've fixed a downed network, ssh'ed into a pc to fix something, had to reprogram a router etc
>>
>>52404391
Underrated post.
I loved that saga.
>>
File: 1446398289735.jpg (396KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446398289735.jpg
396KB, 1280x720px
Quitting my job soon, there was supposed to be 5 people working on this shit, but it's only me and management's bitching about me not meeting deadlines.
>>
>>52404354
Tech support will suck the life out of you. You will become a lieing, manipulative piece of shit. You will be paid based on your metrics, which will encourage you to fuck people over and/or cheat the system. The world is full of belligerent assholes who love to take out their frustrations on other as soon as they are given an anonymous forum to vent, and you will be that forum, and you will eat the corn out of their shit with a smile on your face.

That being said, tech support is more psycological than technical. Stress your people skills. The troubleshooting required is very, very minimal. Almost every problem you will find the solution on google, in the company's wiki, or otherwise you will transfer it to someone else. Also. don't worry. The only job requirement for tech support is 'do you have a pulse'
>>
>check out CCNA exam
>it's basically cisco: the test
>270 euro to take
fuck this i'm not even remotely near IT anyway
>>
Guys I'm 24 only worked in customer facing retail my whole life, I have good social skills and am not autistic but I really want to move into something tech related that will help me get into a career I want. How do I get a job at geek squad, I'm planning on just going into best buys near me and asking at the desk for an application. Should I make a resume with a bunch of unrelated retail experience? I don't have any certs or education past high school lately, but I am working on CCNA and plan to have that by this summer.

Seriously I'm tired of shit prospects at dead end jobs and it's time to do something with my life. What do?
>>
>>52406388
read the thread
>>
>>52406388
>Should I make a resume with a bunch of unrelated retail experience?
Yes. Do this right now and post a draft here.

>I don't have any certs or education past high school lately, but I am working on CCNA and plan to have that by this summer.

You need CCNA for networking, not for fixing computers.

Show us your resume.
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.