[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>le SSD shorter lifetime maymay http://arstechnica.com/g

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

File: samsung_840_15.jpg (226KB, 1600x560px) Image search: [Google]
samsung_840_15.jpg
226KB, 1600x560px
>le SSD shorter lifetime maymay

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/consumer-ssds-benchmarked-to-death-and-last-far-longer-than-rated/

Guess it's time for you fuckers to change your strategy. The only quoted downside to SSD's was just proven patently false. SSD's are objectively better than hard drives in every way.
>>
>>47031867
I kinda want to buy one but I don't want to reinstall windows...
>>
File: reddit user.jpg (27KB, 984x691px) Image search: [Google]
reddit user.jpg
27KB, 984x691px
>botnet
>>
>>47031877
>what is a drive clone utility
>>
>>47031867
>SSD's are objectively better than hard drives in every way

except when it comes to storing files, which is what a disk drive is for..
>>
And everything is ridiculously expensive in Canada right now, its hard to decide what's the most effective cost wise while still grabbing a respected brand.
>>
>>47031888
Doesn't always work.

Also, OP, stop shilling. 2nd thread about it
>>
>>47031894
>verything is ridiculously expensive in Canada right now
same here in Botswana, dude
>>
>>47031943
That sucks, our dollar is so shit against the USD right now.
>>
>my selective empirical evidence invalidates your collective empirical evidence

No it doesn't. How many people on /g/ have complained about SSDs randomly failing? Unless they're making it up, solid-state storage just isn't a very reliable technology.

>To make testing practical, we've limited ourselves to one example of each SSD

I would rather base my purchasing decisions on collected reviews and testimonials than one selective series of benchmarks. If these people decided to benchmark hundreds of SSDs over and over and then post their results, I'd be more inclined to take them into consideration. Currently, the empirical evidence from user testimonies and reviews outweighs this research by far.
>>
We already knew this, OP.

Hidden.
>>
>>47031903
>doesn't always work

>>>/b/

>Unless they're making it up, solid-state storage just isn't a very reliable technology.

I've never seen a "my SSD died" thread in the past few years and you have nothing to back up your claim. Prove your claim with modern data.
>>
I don't think I'd ever trust a full blown drive clone for a system install, the thought alone is giving me anxiety.
>>
yeah no shit OP.

SSD's are great. I'm a poor fag and I still have 2 of them suckers
>>
>>47031877
I actually got one so that I COULD reinstall windows. I started with vista and I've been upgrading this whole time and it was really gross. Buying the ssd was a great excuse to start fresh
>>
The SSDs with high failure rates were those with Sandforce controllers.

Crucial SSDs were recommended for a long time because they used Marvell controllers. Then Samsung SSDs were purpotedly a better alternative with their own custom controller. Now Samsung SSDs have been shamed, and it's back to Marvell.

Unless you have a business. Then it's Intel.
>>
>>47031990
>testimonials and people complaining on /g/ are empirical evidence
There is a technical term for people like you, I believe you're called "idiots"
>But muh failure rates!
Are around the same as HDDs. Lower, for specific models but you'd probably start screaming about cherry picking.
>But those horrible drives!
And the IBM deathstar. You'll find dodgy models in every product line. SSDs are not remarkable in any way.
>>
>>47032183
Is this the case? Everyone was recommending samsung when I looked into them
>>
>>47031888
Something that doesn't account for AHCI drivers, which are a pain to get working without simply reinstalling.

That said, reinstalling is good to get a fresh start, especially when you are upgrading to an SSD.
>>
>>47031990
can you throw your hdd at a wall and still have it work 100%?
didnt think so

and who the hell complains about their ssd dying? I dont remember seeing any posts about that
>>
>The only quoted downside to SSD's was just proven patently false
No it's still true, they're more expensive than HDDs.
>>
>>47032319
>No it's still true, they're more expensive than HDDs.
>this far better and newer technology is more expensive than my older much worse technology
Shocking! Ever consider there are people out there where money isn't so fucking tight that they don't care that they have to spend more for something much better?

Ever since I bought my 1TB SSD for $350 I will never go back to hard drives.
>>
Are Sandforce controllers still garbage?
>>
>>47031867
>price
>>
>>47031867
They are more expensive.

Then again anybody that builds their own PC or is into technology in general generally has the money to buy tech stuff.
>>
File: 1413999438532.jpg (41KB, 524x1009px) Image search: [Google]
1413999438532.jpg
41KB, 524x1009px
>>47031877
I reinstall windows every 1-2 months because I'm autistic and I it feels stale after that/I want to start fresh without all the shit that I install over that time.

I wish I could be you.
>>
>>47033090
This
>>
>>47031867
Why link shill Technica article when Tech Report is the source?
>>
>>47033247
i-if you could just spare 20GB at the end of your hard drive, you can use Window's build in image software and make a system image of exactly how it is at any time. You could then do one fresh install, do some updates, hell maybe even install some drivers. then make an image. 1-2 months later restore the image. i-if that's okay with you that is.
>>
>>47031867
yes goyim... 3 seconds faster boot is worth the price.

but remember to backup all the important stuff to the Cloud™
>>
>>47033384
I think it's cute that you're still trying.
>>
>>47032009
also their end of life is predictable and they just become read-only, not dead and clicking
>>
>>47032932
They will always be shit.
>>
>>47031867
>still posting that artificial test which doesn't apply to real world use
>>
>>47034079
how doesn't it apply to real world use
>>
>>47034111
because they didn't do power cycling that happens with normal use. and many ssds have problems with that, somehow it fucks up the sata interface/controller on the ssd.

google "[popular ssd model] randomly disappearing from system".
you'll be surprised at how often this happens.

nand flash memory endurance is not the main problem of ssds, it never was.
>>
>>47034166
>[Citation Needed]
Flash memory write cycles has always been the thing people are afraid of when they talk about SSDs. I've literally never heard anybody mention controller power cycles.

Meanwhile I do hear a lot about CLICK CLICK CLICK!
>>
>>47033247
I have way too much shit I need constantly stored or things I'm working on to be able to do that, I used to resinstall windows all the time just to keep it from slowly killing itself through inefficiency.
>>
>>47034243
crucial mx100, probably the most popular affordable ssd right now
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/MX100-Causes-Bluescreens-Disappears-from-system/td-p/162778
(they released a firmware update a few days ago, problem persists)

>b-but get something more reliable, like an intel
https://communities.intel.com/thread/44258?start=120&
same fucking problem

and many others
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ssd+disappears+from+system
>>
why would I spend three times the money? when I could get like 5TB harddrives?

I have no hurry.
>>
>>47034290
sheeeit brb updating firmware
>>
>>47032343
>he hasn't commissioned Intel to make a processor with 1TB L2 cache
Why are you so poor?
>>
>>47032223
>You're an idiot

Well, you sure proved me wrong.
>>
>>47034290
>Googling forum threads is now proof that a drive shouldn't be trusted
You have now proven every drive made since the dawn of the internet to be unreliable. What do you recommend we buy? Bear in mind that every drive from both western digital and seagate also has thread upon thread full of people complaining about issues.
>>
>>47034372
>Not addressing the point, just getting hung up on that you were called out as an idiot for saying that a testimonial is empirical evidence
Just what, exactly, do you think empirical evidence is?
>>
>>47031867
>The only quoted downside to SSD's was just proven patently false.
oh they cost less than $30/tb now?
>>
File: fallout.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fallout.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
So what's the best SSD I can get? I want something ~512GB Or so. Samsung SSDs are constantly shilled but honestly they just seem really expensive, what are alternative brands?
>>
SSD PROS
>Extremely fast, much faster than HDD drives. Even the shittiest shit heap SSD crushes a 10,000RPM raptor drive
>Lower power usage (HDDs don't guzzle power but it's still less usage)
>Next to no heat output
>Shock and damage resistant

SSD CONS
>Much more expensive
>Controllers significantly can impact performance
>Slows down over time, although this is time measured in decades it still happens
>>
File: dank.png (1MB, 878x738px) Image search: [Google]
dank.png
1MB, 878x738px
protip: MLC chips can be regenerated by heating them to about ~100 celsius dg
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/12/02/2222235/self-healing-nand-flash-memory-that-can-survive-over-100-million-cycles
>>
>SSD's are objectively better than hard drives in every way.

Except price per GB.
>>
>>47034697
nobody said SSDs are meant for poorfags.
You pay for the quality, you know.
>>
>>47034569
It depends, do you want something cheaper or more reliable? Samsung has a huge marketting budget so I wouldn't doubt paid shilling, but they also provide a fuckhuge warranty.

Crucial is good

Mushkin is cheap but uses shitty sandforce controllers (Look at reviews, some people report random drive dieing after a few weeks)

Intel is the top SSD but also super fucking expensive
>>
>>47034770
>intel 520 480GB
>expensive
kek
>>
>>47033247
I used to find formats fun, but now it's just a pain in the ass.
I don't want to bother doing it, I just want the spyware gone.
>>
>>47034796
Compared to other brands yes Intel is pricey
>>
>>47031877

buy an ssd, install windows, use your current hdd as a secondary drive. easy as shit.
>>
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/199673-second-patch-for-ongoing-840-evo-ssd-performance-issues-being-prepped-by-samsung

>SSD
>good

TOP KEK
>>
>>47031867
Kill yourself. Intel SSDs check out as soon as their SMART wear leveling count exceeds some threshold. So you are a fucking cuck faggot retard.

>>47031877
Fucking image the disk then.

>>47032043
Then don't do it.

>>47032183
Enjoy being Intel's bitch instead of buying Samsung DC SSD.

>>47032278
>what is preloading AHCI drivers
>are you migrating from PATA-compatible to AHCI? are you migrating a 10 year old pc?

>>47033384
>implying people buy SSDs for boot speeds
you're a fucking retard

>>47034697
no one buys SSDs for backup/cold storage

>>47034770
shilling or not, samsung SSDs are the best, check out every single benchmark out there.
>>
>>47034569
Try OCZ, particularly the ARC 100s. They're cheap and it uses a good controller (ie. Not sandforce)
>>
>>47031877
>Wait for windows 10
>Install it on the SSD
>?????
>Profit
I know I'm going to do it this way.
>>
>>47034957
Why the ARC 100s in particular?
>>
>>47034957
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K9HID1C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00K9HID1C&linkCode=as2&tag=hardwarevol03-20

How does it compare to this?
>>
>>47031867
I don't know why this "ssds don't last" bullshit came from, I still use a first gen 80gb intel drive on my workstation (~300tb written to it so far) and a 40gb x25v on my home PC (82Tb written) an no single fucks given. Since I don't use a UPS at home the X25v survived 800 or so unsafe shutdowns from power outages or BSODs.
Just don't buy cheap kingston V series shit and you will be fine.
>>
Ssd's aren't dense enough to be cost effective for mass storage
Can't beat 4x3tb reds in raid 10
>>
>>47035166
I already got my windows 8 license so I can do this.
>>
>>47033247
Do you even virtual machine, m8? Just install a super light Linux distro and run Windows within it. As long as you aren't using it for gaming, you should be fine.
>>
>>47031867
>>le SSD shorter lifetime maymay

This made me laugh really fucking hard for some reason.
>>
File: 1426393496245.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1426393496245.gif
2MB, 200x200px
Don't bother trying to reason with these ignorant hobos. They will always fall back on the "it only increases la boot time!!" meme that they fool themselves into believing because they'e so shockingly poor.
>>
>>47031867
>arstechnica

a faggots website

>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>47034900

9/10 actual quality post.
>>
>>47031990
>my benchmarks invalidate your anecdotes
It's almost 50/50 but I'd give it to the benchmarks
>>
From a french e-tailer:

HDD return rates:

- Seagate 0,69% (contre 0,86%)
- Western 0,93 (contre 1,13%)
- HGST 1,01% (contre 1,08%)
- Toshiba 1,29% (contre 1,02%)

SSD return rates:
- Samsung 0,24% (contre 0,54%)
- Intel 0,27% (contre 0,90%)
- Sandisk 0,29% (contre 0,70%)
- Crucial 0,57% (contre 1,08%)
- Kingston 0,63% (contre 0,72%)
- Corsair 0,87% (contre 0,91%)

Source:
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/927-7/ssd.html

Long story short, don't get kingston or corsair.
>>
a 128 gb ssd is like $100

a 4tb drive is also $100

basically paying the same price for 1/40th the storage
>>
>>47031867
Go back to reddit
>>
>>47040219
1/40th the storage at 10 times the performance.

Faster cars cost more too bro
>>
>>47033356
explain further, what to use etc..usb stick?
>>
>>47031867
Who fucking cares OP? I'm using SSD's as well and I couldn't care less about what techbabbies say about them.

They're faster, thats all what matters to me. Anyone who says SSD's are bad can go suck a dick.

Stop making these pointless threads...
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.