[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /g/ justify piracy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 288
Thread images: 21

File: Caught.jpg (112KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
Caught.jpg
112KB, 950x534px
How does /g/ justify piracy?
>>
>>46920659
Don't get caught.
>>
As a moral crusade against the tyrannical US government for forcing me to pay for things.
>>
too poor, so I'm a non customer anyways but I can suggest it to others thus giving them more profit from my non customer product
>>
>having to justify shit to yourself to be able to do it
I do it because its free. If that reason isn't good enough for you, go fuck yourself
>>
Why do I need to justify it? I simply do it.
>>
The money loss we cause is so insignificant compared to streaming services
>>
>>46920659
By not giving a shit

But I'm also a poor student
>>
>>46920659
I download it, if I like it I buy it... I don't just say this I actually do it.

I support media I like in an effort to show I want for more media like it. If I don't like it I want it to show in their sales.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 182x277px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 182x277px
The Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 violated the social contract between the public and the media corporations that gave copyright protection enforced by the power of the state in exchange for content being given to the public for free use after a reasonable amount of exclusivity. With that social contract violated, there is no long a reason to respect the public's side of the obligations.
>>
where can I buy bluray quality digital copies of movies that doesnt require a god awful platform to play them from? used to pirate games but steam makes it very convenient so I only pirate what I cant demo
>>
1. 99% of the time I wasn't going to pay for it anyway. If I hadn't been able to pirate it, I would have simply forgone the use of the product or used a competitor.
2. It's literally free economic gains out of thin air as long as enough people buy it to continue development or production.
3. If the product is good, I give it word of mouth advertising which quite easily makes up for it. I pretty much shill for VMware, Adobe, and others despite never having given them a cent.
4. It's been shown that the biggest pirates are also the biggest purchasers.
5. In the case of movies and music, the only real thieves are the studios. Fuck them. I'd rather pirate an album and mail the artist one dollar because they'd get more money that way than if I had bought the album.
>>
>>46920659
Sharing information doesn't need justification, that's natural human behavior. Censoring other people's private communication needs justification. Early copyright actually did have good justification (limited temporary censorship is acceptable if it significantly improves progress in arts and science), but with modern copyright the balance has shifted far into the negative for the general public.

Copyright is only respectable when it serves society as was originally intended.
>>
>>46920817
>>Cause fucking HBO.
>>
File: mickeyinfinitecopyrightgoodger.jpg (6KB, 140x144px) Image search: [Google]
mickeyinfinitecopyrightgoodger.jpg
6KB, 140x144px
>>46920840
The original copyright act, written by the same people as the Constitution, granted copyright protection for 14 years, which could be extended once (and only once) for an addition 14 year if (and only if) the original copyright holder was still alive. Now Congress keeps extending the time period, making it essentially infinite, which is explicitly forbidden by the Constitution. But most of the SCOTUS justices think that's fine, though Justice Ginsberg has stated what Congress has done clearly violates the Constitution. She's just one vote so de facto perpetual exclusivity has been made the law of the land in violation of the Constitution. It's patriotic to ignore unconstitutional laws.
>>
I don't justify piracy as being right, I know its against the law, but wtf are they going to do?
>>
What I really don't get is why are people able to spend 2K on a gaming rig and then pirate everything and go "I'm poor".
>>
>>46920659
>being so much of a faggot that you need to justify all your actions
>>
basically this >>46920805

i still buy books but i couldn't possibly afford every thing i pirate
>>
>>46920980
>The original copyright act, written by the same people as the Constitution, granted copyright protection for 14 years, which could be extended once (and only once) for an addition 14 year if (and only if) the original copyright holder was still alive.

Life expectancy then was around 33 year.
>>
>>46921011
Why does it matter?
If I save $200 on software then go blow that $200 on a video card, I've still put $200 back into the economy.
The difference is that while it's not possible to get that hardware for free, I could easily get by without paying for that software. I could easily use Linux instead of Winblows, could easily use Vmware player instead of workstation, you get the idea.
>>
>>46921071
>I've still put $200 back into the economy.
Problem is you've gotten $400 worth of goods.
>>
>>46920659
I don't, software piracy, especially of operating systems is a crime and needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Run a pirated copy of Windows 7? You should get a $50k fine and 10 years jail time.

If you want free software, use free software.
>>
>>46920840
>>46921090
Boo fucking hoo
>>
>>46921048
So by your standards, back then if the copyright owner dies, noone even 100 years down the road can share that person's work for free.

It's sad that we've allowed our government to so thoroughly shred the Constitution
>>
i pirate cause i can. i have money but idc.
>>
I don't pay jews.
>>
>>46921096
?

I'm not the one trying to rationalize my theft. Own it.
>>
File: 1425537693780.jpg (33KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
1425537693780.jpg
33KB, 500x323px
>>46921092
>implying Window shouldn't be free.
>>
>>46921090
So?
And "worth" is subjective. Worth by what measure? If I make a piece of software that costs 10 billion dollars and someone pirates it, did they receive 10 billion dollars of goods for free? Of course not. Also this >>46921111
>>
I don't because I don't pirate anything. Too much free software and CC and PD media to have to pirate anything.
>>
>>46920659

I'm poor
>>
>>46921101
>So by your standards, back then if the copyright owner dies, noone even 100 years down the road can share that person's work for free.
Not sure what you're talking about. I didn't put forward any standards. Just saying you're comparing apples to oranges because of dramatic differences in life expectancy.
>>
>>46921110
this. even if I wasn't fuckbroke I'd still pirate.

Half the shit that comes out isn't worth half what jewcorps are demanding for it. There are some things that are worth paying for mind you, but they've been fewer and farther between lately.
>>
>>46920659
Why the fuck would I want to justify piracy? Mate, I was born in a country formed by convicts.
>>
>>46921132
The problem is people pirate consumer grade software, not stuff that costs 10 billion. There is a reasonable expectation that consumers will pay msrp because consumers do pay msrp.
>>
>>46920659
When the term is used incorrectly

Have subscription to Starz. Movie playback was broken on Comcast's website for only Starz and Encore movies for some time. Try everything to fix it.

Resort to downloading movie over bit torrent to properly watch movie I paid to watch on my computer.

This is technically piracy, but normal people wouldn't think so.
>>
>>46921048
>Life expectancy then was around 33 year
>citation needed

And most improvement in life expectancy comes from reduced infant mortality. Babies don't produce much copyrightable material.

And improved communication technology has also dramatically reduced the time needed for customers to find the copyrighted material, so the monopoly time should be less now not more.
>>
>>46920659
Prevent our culture from being hijacked by jews
>>
>>46920659
if the government doesnt obey their laws why should i? i dont have to justify shit.
>>
>>46921170
And look at your government now, utter fucking hypocrits the lot of you.
>>
>>46921137
Copyright back then didn't extend past death. Now it extends seventy years beyond death. So life expectancy is irrelevant.
>>
>>46921048
No, you dipshit, life expectancy has always been fairly long. AVERAGE lifespan was 33 years, which meant lots of people died very young.

God, this misconception. Do you seriously believe that most people entered old age at 30 back then? Hell, you dumb kids probably still think 30 is "old" today.

Fucking idiots. Keep your fucking mouth shut until you stop being stupid.
>>
>>46921048
First off, shit stats like that were for AVERAGES.

Please go back to school.

Because of childhood diseases, a good portion of people never lived to adulthood.

Even back then, if you lived to like 20 or 25, you had a great chance of living until you were 55 or 65
>>
>>46921124
The fact that so few PC enthusiasts pay for Windows is the exact reason that Microsoft has shifted their focus to Xbox, Surface, Phone, Cloud, and advertising.

If people actually paid for the product they wanted we wouldn't see any of that crap.
>>
>>46921178
But I do pay, just for other things. What's the difference to the movie studio between me paying for 3 movies and getting 3, and me paying for 3 movies and getting 5?
There's also the issue of availability. I get the vast majority of my stuff legally (I have netflix and amazon prime streaming) but not everything is even available.

And again, the biggest pirates are usually also the biggest consumers.
>>
>>46920659
Why pay for anything when I can get it for free?

Supply = Demand

My demand is for a supply of free content. And the supply exists.
>>
>>46921202
>Do you seriously believe that most people entered old age at 30 back then?

Not the guy you replied to, but before antibiotics were around, you could easily die from an infection or fever at 30 or so years old or younger
>>
I don't justify it. I do it because I can.
>>
>>46920659
I support an infinitely extensible copyright term, at a cost of 2^n dollars for n years. The first 5 years could be free to reduce bureaucracy.
>>
>>46921222
But that's wrong, because 90% of computer users DO pay for windows. It's just they do it in the form of buying a prebuilt PC with a forced windows license.
And again, there's people like me that would just use Linux if we couldn't pirate windows. And some companies like Adobe know that. Why do you think copy protection on everything pre-CS6 is such a joke? Because adobe knows people would just use alternatives. They're happy with having home users pirate and business users buy, because it gets the word out about their product.
>>
>>46921222
True, I mean, windows 7 was worth buying, but I think a lot of people did it because of the Vista fiasco, Microsoft OEMs were actually charging you to DOWNGRADE from Vista to XP, I mean who the fuck charges for a downgrade? Pissed a lot of people off, me included.
>>
Correct answer is: simply not giving a fuck.
>>
File: colonial life.png (32KB, 822x640px) Image search: [Google]
colonial life.png
32KB, 822x640px
>>46921048
>Life expectancy then was around 33 year.
Up to 40% of children died in colonial America. You should learn the difference between the mean and the median.
>>
>>46921275
>females had a higher life expectancy even back then.

also

>Cohorts
>>
>>46920849
+1
>>
>>46920659
I don't justify it, I just don't give a shit that it's wrong
>>
>>46921259
> 90% of computer users DO pay for windows. It's just they do it in the form of buying a prebuilt PC with a forced windows license

In the first world perhaps, but all those machines in China running Windows almost certainly aren't using legitimate licenses.

>there's people like me that would just use Linux if we couldn't pirate windows.

Exactly so you break the law despite knowing that there's a perfectly acceptable alternative, and in doing so you help keep the alternative marginalized. Companies shouldn't be allowed to encourage criminal activity in order to benefit themselves through lock in, and that's why pirates need to punished.
>>
>>46921289

Females always had a larger life expectancy because from a young age they are expected to do nothing but sit down and look pretty.
>>
>>46921090
But only $200 worth of goods was taken. The other $200 were literally copied.
>>
>>46921326
Who gives a fuck about China? While OP didn't specify nationality, he likely wasn't addressing his question to China.
>>
>>46921275
Hm, I know the difference. People live dramatically longer now than they did then, which was my point. So it's remains useless to compare what was the norm in 1800 concerning the duration of rights to today.
>>
>>46920659
personal use if you have the intention of buying the product. Every software whould come with a decent demo but it's not always the case.
>>
>>46921326
>boohoo muh alternative iz bein suppressed by corps enabling criminal scumz

Are you really this autistic sounding irl?
>>
>>46921344
The practice of looking at global figures of 'desktop' machines (computers with keyboards excluding Chromebooks, but counting Surface devices for some reason) helps keep Windows apparent marketshare figures commonly quoted when making business decisions about what platform to target artificially high.

Proper figures looking only at paying markets, and treating every common computing device equally would return very different numbers.
>>
>>46921326
>Reducing user choice is a good thing
No, it's really not. The current system is great because of how it's a win-win: I get to pirate software, while the corporation gets word of mouth advertising.
>>
I only pirate stuff that I cannot get online. I'll pay for it if they make it available without tyrannical copyright protection
>>
>>46920659
>Implying I need to justify getting an infinitely copyable number
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>46921244
>you could easily die from an infection or fever
If you were a kid, sure.
>>
>>46921435
Or if you had any kind of surgery, considering surgeons didn't scrub up until mid-century.
>>
>>46921450
>surgery
You do understand that this would not be very common correct?
>>
>>46920659
I only pirate things I'd never buy.
>>
>>46920659
I pirate TV shows because cable/satellite is too expensive for me to justify getting and I'd rather not wait months just to buy disks of shows that I don't know if I'd like. I could spend $2 per episode to stream some shows (like Agent Carter), but I very much dislike DRM.

I don't pirate movies too often, and when I do it's usually old stuff (where the profits are minimal now), or something that is currently unavailable legally (not in theaters but not available on DVD/Bluray yet).

I don't usually pirate games because Steam is great (though I pirate console games sometimes since I hate waiting for shipping on games and PSN game prices are high).

If I could get DRM-free downloads or a single affordable service to stream all of the shows I want (like Netflix but having everything), or if episodes of shows were only $0.99, I'd pay. Also, seasonal show subscriptions would work too if the price is right. It's just hard to justify paying $30+ per season of a show which only takes 10-15 hours of my time.

Also I don't get caught. I use a VPN, which is only ~$3 a month, substantially cheaper than any cable or satellite TV service.
>>
Chinese cartoons.
>>
>>46921477
One more thing: piracy is just as convenient as online services, if not more. I can literally load up a browser or PopcornTime and find just about anything I want and have it downloaded or streaming in a matter of minutes.
>>
>>46920659
Hollywood celebrities and musicians tend to be anti capitalist anyway.
>>
>>46921505
This. If you want me to pay for something at least put in the effort to make it better than the free alternatives.
>>
>>46921404
Except prosecuting pirates like yourself doesn't decrease choice. It creates more opportunity in the market for small players. More importantly by encouraging a more diverse software ecosystem we avoid the problems introduced by monoculture like a single bug rendering all systems vulnerable.
>>
I think information should be free. Zeros and ones cost nothing to be reproduced infinitely.

The problem is that most companies are reacting to this poorly, instead of embracing it as the future.
>>
>>46921544
So you do sound this autistic irl.

I bet you report people on facebook for violating the ToS.
>>
>>46921544
So are you saying it would be bad, for example, if Microsoft gave out windows for free to people with low income?
You can't say "X should be allowed to release a product for free, but Y should not."
>>
>>46921570
This.
>>
>>46920659
With lots of firepower and hanging my enemies on the yardarm by their bowels. Also my kickass hook, eyepatch, and foul-mouthed parrot.
>>
>>46921544
Your post makes me want to pirate something right now.
>>
File: Piracy.jpg (158KB, 825x820px) Image search: [Google]
Piracy.jpg
158KB, 825x820px
>>
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
>>
>>46921606
Is funny because actual pirates steal things, which is theft. Yet the modern term for piracy is unauthorized copying, which is different from theft.

the more you know
>>
Current American copyright law is a twisted abomination that contravenes the original goals of "intellectual property" legislation.

Stallman and Lessig have written some pretty good stuff on this topic.
>>
>>46921581
>So are you saying it would be bad, for example, if Microsoft gave out windows for free to people with low income?
If Microsoft wanted to give their software away for free, that would be fine.

However they shouldn't be allowed to insist that they are a proprietary software company that expects to be paid in court against companies cought pirating with one side of their mouth, while from the other side of their mouth encouraging software pirates to use their software for free with no penalty in order to lock out competition.
>>
>>46921606
>Imagine your car gets stolen, but it's still there in the morning

terrible analogy, more like

>imagine you're trying to sell your car
>but people come and just make copies of it for themselves
>>
>>46921606
Picture you as the owner of that nice ass ricemobile.

You paid a good amount of your hard earned monies for it, and slaved to build it. Someone steals it.

Now picture the same, except someone who cannot afford such a nice car, copies it.

Which would make you madder? The guy that stole your hard earned expenditure? He now has it, you don't, Or the guy who copied it because he couldn't experience it otherwise? I can understand you'd be a bit butthurt that he got his from copying yours, since you worked for it and he didn't, but chances are he'll tell others about how badass your car is and paying drivers will want to buy one too.

The future is here, don't fight it.
>>
>>46921648
[citations needed]
>>
>>46921648
you sound like a shill.

I just can't figure out what you're shilling.
>>
>>46921723
>Imagine you're trying to sell bread.
>One guy buys a loaf and then starts feeding everyone with it.
>Who does that fuck think he is?
>I should be making money.
>Fuck hungry people.
>>
>>46921777
trips for reality
>>
Piracy is a violation of intellectual property.

Intellectual property came to be by government intervention (force) instead of voluntary contract.

Contracts made involuntarily are invalid.

Intellectual property is invalid.
>>
>>46921723
>Getting something for nothing is somehow bad
>>
>>46920805
>I can't afford it therefore it is just that I illegally take a product without paying for it

Yeah, it sucks being poor. That doesn't justify theft.

That said, piracy really isn't that big of a deal. I don't do it, but I don't care that much for people that do. Just realize what you're doing is morally wrong.
>>
Media companies do not have the right to tell me what data I am and am not allowed to transmit to and receive from other people. It's as simple as that. I don't think anybody has that right, and I really don't give a shit if somebody's hundred year old business model is affected by technological progress.
>>
So those in favor of piracy, theoretically, if you could pirate computer hardware would you?
>>
>>46921827
>this is what jews actually believe
>>
>>46921872
>People who pirate are jews
Movie/music studios are the jews.
People who buy are the dumb goyim.
People who pirate are enlightened.
>>
>>46921864
Holy fuck. yes.
>>
>>46921864
Yes.
>>
>>46921883
fuck. I meant that jews actually believe getting something for nothing is bad.
>>
Just grow up and admit your stealing, I already have, its not that hard.
>>
>>46921883
so much of this! 100% this!
>>
>>46921723
>getting angry that there's free resources available for everyone
Hating other people must suck.
>>
>>46921911
unless they're the ones getting it, amirite?
>>
>>46921864
3D print my Lisp Machine.
>>
First of all, I try to be legal and all. I buy my games on steam, I watch animes on crunchyroll, I have netflix. I pirate my music, but mostly because of money issues than "wanting it".

And you can do it all you can where I live that you'll never get caught anyway.
>>
I gave up on trying to justify it an accepted that I am pretty much a morally bankrupt criminal.
>>
>>46921340
>fucking thread
>>
Insisting that software should be free puts most of you out of work. Why would you be in favor of that? Are you retarded?
>>
>>46922230
>Are you retarded?
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>46920659
How else am I going to get my obscure JAVs? also, the last thing I remember pirating are old PS2 games and oter console titles. at that point I'm hurting gamestop more than I am the game devs.

also, it lets me test a product before I buy it, since NOBODY puts out demos anymore.
>>
Gotta try before I buy.
>>
>>46922538
Bad Goy!
You should buy a product and sell it back for a fraction of the cost if you don't like it.
>>
>>46920659
the piracy debate is polarized by two extremes
there are people who think there is nothing wrong with it because it is just copying or they try to justify it by saying that they are testing out the product and they will buy it if they like it

the other extreme are bleeding heart capitalists who are basically patent trolls trying to force people to pay for things that people dont even want (microsoft needless upgrades). Also they cant see that most music and movie content companies punish honest people buy jacking up prices on honest people to cover costs they are losing to piracy ($25 music CDs, putting ads in movies that people paid for).

bottom line is that you cant have a sane, common sense discussian about piracy with either extreme. the music/movie/software industries keep punishing honest people making it impossible to buy things honestly and only driving more people into downloading that wouldnt have bothered had not the retail product become so high priced and shitted up with ads
>>
>>46922558
>selling back software
top kek, friendly merchant
top kek
>>
>>46922576
I don't pirate music from bandcamp. Sometimes I even pay a little extra if I really like it.

This is because I'm supporting the artists and not filthy kikes.

I don't even 'pirate' media because it's all shit. It's not worth taking. It's not worth my time to hear the latest nigger song about getting high and being promiscuous.

I get most of my music from bandcamp. It's nice.
>>
>>46922633
honestly I dont understand why most artists dont sell all their material online on their own website

they keep going to record companies and expecting people to buy CDs which are a dead format and then they complain no one is buying their material
>>
>>46920659
Because I want stuff but I don't want to pay for it.
>>
>>46920659
The software I pirate isn't worth its price. Simple as that.

When Steam sales happen I buy a fuck ton of games, I bought Windows after years of pirating because I got it for $15, etc. I am not paying thousands of dollars for the Adobe suite, so it gets pirated. I now no longer pirate Office because I have a college email for free Office 365.

I had a large collection of 3ds games but since Nintendo didn't want to bring the New 3DS (non xl) to the USA, I sold all my 3DS shit bought the Australian model console and bought a Sky3DS flashcard and pirated a shit ton of PAL region games so now Nintendo won't see a dime from me. I will pirate shit when I see companies doing stupid shit like that.

Movies/TV Shows I pirate because once again they aren't worth their price at all. Although streaming has mitigated actual pirating of shows.
>>
>>46922576
What about that poor programmer who wants to build software and sell it?
>>
It's wrong and never justifiable. If you are going to do it then just do it.
>>
>>46921812
Involuntary contracts to correct market failures are a valid function of governments. To achieve the benefits of copyright through individual private contracts would be much less efficient than having the government handle it. The problem is not that the contract is involuntary, but that the terms have been altered by political manipulation such that they can no longer be considered fair.
>>
>>46922901
It's about as wrong as speeding on the highway - everyone does it until they're caught, but then they keep doing it anyway.
>>
>adobe flash goes 64 bit
>used to cost $350 for a full version
>cc comes out
>monthly pay only
>that 350 isnt lifetime, its for a year of use, and if you stop paying your app stops working

Yea fuck you adobe.
>>
>>46923037
>app
>>>/out/
>>
>>46923053
App is short for application. Do you have mental problems or something?
>>
>>46923068
>>46923053
>>
>is piracy theft
No.

>is piracy ethical?
I don't think so, but I still pirate anyways because I like free stuff.

>but it isn't ethical to tell people what they can do with the software/media they bought!
I agree to a certain extent, but you have to recognize that software/media companies are in a strange position. They work in a time where anyone with access to a computer can reproduce stuff that they spent millions at almost no cost at all. I can't really blame them for getting mad when people do the stuff in my pic here. I believe it is necessary for the state to step in and help, but mainly for the purpose of taking down big fish, like a company that might upload their content to a streaming service without their permission and use the pirated media for monetary gain.

>but they're evil!
That's true, many companies are run by fucking assholes who often sue little guys just to try to scare others. That doesn't change the fact that the people they employ (Read: The guys who actually make the stuff) are the ones who ultimately end up getting shafted if the company doesn't get a significant return on their investments. The guys at the top just have to buy a slightly smaller yacht that year. The code monkeys end up getting fired and replaced by Indians/Chinks.
>>
Take a class in ethics. You'll learn that people have different morals based on many factors. What's immoral to you may be moral to me, so suck it
>>
If i pirate something and use it often then i buy it. If i pirate something and its a pile of garbage then no i don't buy it nor continue using it.
>>
>>46920659
I only pirate things to try them if I'm on the fence and a demo is not available or if it's legitimately not available to me in my region (I.E. most anime, customs sucks).

I don't see the problem with it, I would never buy a car without trying it first, I would never buy a computer without testing the keyboard first, why am I expected to dive into programs and media headfirst when half the time the advertised features are total bullshit?
>>
my justification is that I already spend all my money on non-software things like rent, I wouldnt have the money to spend on this software even if I wanted to. I still try to contribute to the services I actually use a lot
>>
>>46922664
People go to record labels because they have a marketing budget.
>>
File: piracy.png (37KB, 612x831px) Image search: [Google]
piracy.png
37KB, 612x831px
>>46920659
This is exactly how women lost their privilege
>>
Easy install gentoo Debian is for poor people
>>
Piracy saves me so much $$$ it's not even funny
>>
>>46921048
Oh look, another retard from /v/.
>>
>>46920659

My justification:

I do what I want because a pirate is free.

I am a pirate.
>>
>>46923403
Yar har fiddile de dee
>>
>>46922576
That's exactly what's so great about piracy.
As long as there are enough buyers to prop up the content producers, people can pirate away. Remember, piracy = free economic gains with the only downside being that too much piracy = content producers die. But that's not an issue since enough people buy.
>>
>>46922890
That "poor" programmer who most likely made 4/5 of his project through copy pasted stack overflow answers doesn't deserve jackshit. There are plenty of ways to structure a FOSS business model in a profitable manner, but the it'll never happen with all the Jews who control the companies.
>>
>>46923098
I think that copyright holders should be able to charge each other for commercial use, but that anyone should be able to posses, copy, and distribute any data they want non-commercially.

If there was a service that gave me access to any content I wanted lossless, DRM free, and on-demand I would definitely be willing to pay for it, even if its only advantage over piracy was reliability and consistency in terms of availability and quality. Services like that don't exist because media companies are greedy and stupid, and spend their resources fighting innovation instead of embracing it. If good and passionate artists can't make money working for media companies they'll be forced to find other ways and the media companies will become obsolete from both ends simultaneously. I don't believe for a second that there wouldn't be art without media companies. There's always been art.

The bread maker in your image is like an employee of a company who has been made obsolete by a robot that does the same job cheaper and better. Everyone in that situation is better of except for the person who's been replaced, and for the person to try to get robots outlawed so that they could keep their job at everyone else's expense is obviously stupid and selfish. Or an early automobile manufacturer, meticulously hand making each car, asking high prices required to pay skilled craftsmen, and losing business to a company with an assembly line. Outlawing assembly lines because "that's not fair, we can't make money that way, look how hard we work at what we do" is obviously the wrong thing to do in that situation.
>>
>>46920659
Why would I need to justify it?
>>
>>46923487
>4/5 of his project through copy pasted stack overflow answers
Do people really do this?
>>
I'm a fucking piss-poor student, that's why. Why shouldn't I pirate? I can obtain movies and games for free and in a more convenient and easy to consume way than buying them, why the fuck would I buy them? I don't give a crap about morally wrong or any of that shit. Any movie I pirate is literally $10 spent into food instead of something I won't enjoy enough to justify the money in 99% of the cases.
>>
Piracy is making money off what I download, right?

I'm don't pirate then, I just download.
>>
I don't. If I want, I get. Sometimes with, and sometimes without money
>>
>>46920659
Copying is not theft.
>>
it's more of a philosophical thing
I hate DRM that's implemented poorly, and I love how some places do their business, such as bandcamp and gog.
>>
>>46923487
>There are plenty of ways to structure a FOSS business model in a profitable manner
Please do share. The only way to make money off of software is to sell it. Just like any fucking thing else. You manufacture a car, you sell it. You write a book, you sell it. You manufacture hardware components, you sell them. You're a chef, you sell your food. etc etc etc Why does software have to be different?
>>
>>46923488
> but that anyone should be able to posses, copy, and distribute any data they want non-commercially.
And then there would be no reason to purchase anything, because piracy would be rampant. We'd end up with tons of restrictive DRM and other annoying shit like that.
Oh, wait. That's already exactly how things are right now. The chances of being prosecuted for piracy are absurdly slim even in the countries that enforce the law, so they might as well no exist anyway.

>that analogy
You what? This isn't comparable in any way to a machine that produces things. Artists create new content and sell it. Machines are only capable of replicating content that has already been created. Artists go to the big evil media companies in the first place because they can advertise and they have the legal clout to defend their products if the need arises.
>>
>>46923601
>You manufacture a car, you sell it. You write a book, you sell it. You manufacture hardware components, you sell them. You're a chef, you sell your food. etc etc etc Why does software have to be different?
Software is fucking intangible. That's why.
>>
>>46923601
You can sell support, like Red Hat.

The difference with software is:
1. It has zero variable costs (aka per unit costs)
2. If a software package is open source, it is better than if it is closed source. This is true for a few tangible things (e.g. a free road is better than a toll road because you don't have to stop moving to pay) but for the most part that's a software-specific thing.
>>
>>46923601
Because unlike the other examples you listed, software is pure information and can be replicated for approximately zero cost.
>>
Guess what fa/g/gots

I have pirated
I am pirating
I will pirate

and there is nothing that will stop me, you can cry all you want and cuck for Warner Brothers and it won't change a thing.

People will always pirate so long as there is a way to do so.

Imma go enjoy chappie now

Later chodes
>>
>>46923618
That's an implication that the nature of a product should determine it's value. Value is set by the right of producers, not consumers. And that right is protected by law.
>>
>>46923680
>That's an implication that the nature of a product should determine it's value.

>Value is set by the right of producers, not consumers. And that right is protected by law.
Fuck kikes that pass laws saying I should pay for numbers.

:^)
>>
>>46923695
You'll be more grateful for those kikes and laws when they deter someone from murdering your entitled fucking ass.
>>
>>46923709
If laws were deterrents, why do people still murder?
>>
I'm a poor, nearly moral-free bastard who probably wouldn't buy it if I was rich either. Plus I'm a data hoarder, and I love sharing my stuff with friends/turning a profit where I can.
>>
>>46923611
Way to miss the point. The point is that this is not the first time in history that a business model that used to be profitable isn't anymore as a result of societal progress. Whether you're a publisher or a coach builder, here's your situation:

>I have a skill, not everyone has this skill, I worked hard to develop it
>people used to require my skill
>they don't anymore
>I feel like they should still have to pay me

The fact that they spend lots of money and work really hard to provide a service that nobody needs does not mean that they deserve money. It means that they need to change their business model.
>>
>>46923731
Law deters most people. If you were allowed to just shoot everyone who pissed you of, you would do it as would most people.
>>
>>46923709
Laws don't protect anyone.

Faggot.

You're also accepting the idiocy of aspects of the law and treating that like it is inherent. You are saying that if murder is illegal, then it is okay to make certain numbers illegal and that's just how things are.

Nigger.
>>
File: 1372935089803.png (156KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1372935089803.png
156KB, 800x800px
Because the cost of media is monumental
Because the media is owned by like 3 different groups
Because I can't afford to buy every album/movie/game that I want

I still can't find a good way to get Wii isos. Fug
>>
>>46920659
If I payed for it in any way (ie movie tickets, a song from a game i bought), I own it in same or worse quality form.

Thats my stand on "piracy".
>>
>>46923680
>Value is set by the right of producers
No, Value is set by the free market. If a producer tries to sell their product for more than it's worth, they're not going to get many buyers.
The problem is that Copyrights and Patents are government granted monopolies, which imply that you don't have a free market.
>>
>>46923779
>Laws don't protect anyone.
stopped reading there.
>>
>>46923806
Faggot.
>>
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
>>
>>46923773
I would not because I am not a nigger.
You see, that's the difference between white people and black people. Black people have a much larger proportion of the population that will shoot you if they were allowed to.

If child abuse were legal tomorrow, would you start abusing children?
It's a load of shit.

Most people don't like murder.

Which is ironically why I'm for the death penalty for murderers. Multi-murderers anyway. There has to be some kind of line to prevent innocent people getting executed. If you got charged for two different murders then chances are you're black. I mean you're guilty.
White people have had the death penalty for a long time, so murder has been selected out of the population by punishments.
Black people never had that in the african bush, so we need to do the responsible thing and rid their societies of murderers permanently, so they can build their own part of the world.
You can't build a society where most people are okay with crime.
>>
I know its wrong, but I'm too poor to care.
>>
>>46923818
I wholeheartedly embrace the term "pirate". I think it's a bit funny.
>>
>>46920659
I don't like pirates, violent crime against another marine vessel is the lowest. It's like rape.
>>
>>46920659
Because I'm not stupid enough to pay for things that can be had for free.
>>
>>46923792
interesting...
>>
>>46923823
>I would not
liar. Also how did this turn into a white nationalist rally
>>
>>46920659
I don't pirate because there's so many services offering legit free music, almost endless video entertainment on Youtube and Open source software being more than adequate for casual to intermediate use cases.
>>
>>46923852
I think we should arrest you now since the only thing stopping you from doing crime is the laws.
Just lock you up so you don't do things that are legal, but still unethical.
>>
>>46923823
>You can't build a society where most people are okay with crime.
Jews should dictate crime too, right?

Copying numbers is a crime if someone owns that number.
>>
>>46920789
>As a moral crusade against the tyrannical US government for forcing me to pay for things.
Yeah. damn that pesky government for wanting you to play along and help society advance. It should instead accept your NEETdom without question.
>>
>>46923875
Says the pirate
>>
>>46923868
I've stopped pirating software, but for music, TV, and movies there just aren't any good, viable alternatives to torrenting. If companies get their shit together and created easy to use systems I'd be very encouraged to stop pirating.
>>
>>46921135
This is the only acceptable answer.
>>
>>46923763
Fucking what? You still aren't making any sense. Skilled people are still required to create the stuff that the machines produce. Artists are to media what engineers are to the automotive industry. Robots replace the low level craftsmen and workers. Not the guys who design the machines that they build.
>>
>>46923890
Exactly, someone who uses their own ethical code to decide what is right or wrong instead of using the legal system to tell him.

>>46923918
Problem is that it takes 1 person to maintain the machines that do the work of 10. Or whatever similar ratio- look at the threshing machine riots, or hell, General Ludd and his luddites who hated the automated looms since it took the job of weaving out of 10 peoples hands and gave it to the 1 who maintained the loom.
>>
File: Jesus_piracy.jpg (115KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus_piracy.jpg
115KB, 900x675px
>>46921777
>yfw Jesus did this

Jesus confirmed for pirate.
>>
>>46923763
Except it's not that the service isn't needed anymore. People still watch shows and listen to music just as much as they did before. The problem is that the market becomes less enforceable when people start to steal.

All piracy is doing is justifying the decision of any publisher to use DRM, which takes away from the freedom previously enjoyed by users.
>>
>>46923601
Unreal Engine (it's free now, just make an account and link your github account. They charge 5% for licensing once you make a certain amount per month), Red Hat, contracting and/or software support... there's plenty of companies that create open source software and make a profit from it by doing other stuff with it.
>>
>>46923544
When I programmed, I did ;-;
>>
>>46923954
You're a faggot.

Why do you even need to do that?

Do you just have no fucking idea what you're doing? Do you not know the language you're using? What?
>>
>>46923544
yes
>>
File: 38273_1551281028933_434398_n.jpg (120KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
38273_1551281028933_434398_n.jpg
120KB, 720x540px
Why do people keep mentioning the jews, big evil companies, etc? You have absolutely shit taste if the content you're consuming comes from these people in the first place.

It's when you apply that same logic to people who aren't evil, who aren't part of big corporations, that this childish "fuck the man" mentality really doesn't look to be in any way justifiable.
>>
>>46923636
I always see Red Hat as an example. Do they really make decent money selling 'support'?
>>
>>46923952
You realize this only hurts the little guy who can't afford to employ support staff, right?

Large corporations like Epic or RedHat don't need DRM because they have the power to enforce their licenses legally as well as a support staff to add value.

If I write a piece of software that I intend to sell to support myself, why is it fair for anyone to pirate it, pointing at RedHat and telling me I should already have the resources to hire helpdesk?
>>
>>46923972
>Why do people keep mentioning the jews, big evil companies, etc? You have absolutely shit taste if the content you're consuming comes from these people in the first place.
I'm >>46922633.

I agree with you. I still hate jews though.
>>
>>46923929
Your ethical code is shit though, because it entails your right to take from anyone whom you can. Don't pretend that you respect the hard work of the men who spent many grueling hours manufacturing your place of residence, or your car for example. The only reason you gave them your money, and not the nips who made your chinese cartoons is because you had to. An ethical code that says "thievery is okay when I say it is" is garbage. It's more like an excuse to steal actually.
>>
File: Algernon Download Code.jpg (159KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
Algernon Download Code.jpg
159KB, 800x598px
>>46923981
Your post is a drop in the hat compared to the entire thread, unfortunately.
>>
>>46923972
The problem isn't the artists who produce the content it's the Jews who distribute it with their greedy media companies. That's why there's so much piracy and that's the real problem.
>>
>>46923954
>>46923968
>lying shill fucktards
No programmer merely copies everything from StackOverflow. It's not like there are entire libraries of code put together and ready to go on there.

You go to StackOverflow for discussions on very specific problems to get help from pros. That is it. It's like reading documentation but for specific applied concepts rather than using a specific software or platform.

Is reading documentation considered plagiarism to you too?

Either that or you were hired to write one or two sort functions and then fucking fired.
>>
>>46923976
>Decent money
Billions
>>
>>46923997
Do you think Steam, Humble Store, Bandcamp, and others are run by jews/greedy people?
>>
Music: i buy vinyl, then torrent a digital equivalent.
Games: i don't pirate games
Software: trialling. If i like it i pay for it, if i don't i delete it. Or: i only use it once. Not paying €20 for single use.
Films: i visit the cinema like 5 times a month or more.
>>
>>46924014
I think that those are all great services and I use them on a fairly regular basis instead of pirating. But for may other types of content there are no providers like the ones you mentioned so I have to pirate stuff.
>>
While I'm on the topic actually, would someone recommend some bandcamp artists to me?

I used to go to /mu/ for that, but they have shit taste.
>>
>>46923995
Drop in the ocean.

Fuck it I'm posting the entire thing.

Remember to never split an infinitive. The passive voice should never be used. Do not put statements in the negative form. Verbs have to agree with their subjects. Proofread carefully to see if you words out. If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing. A writer must not shift your point of view. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction. (Remember, too, a preposition is a terrible word to end a sentence with.) Don't overuse exclamation marks!! Place pronouns as close as possible, especially in long sentences, as of 10 or more words, to their antecedents. Writing carefully, dangling participles must be avoided. If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is. Take the bull by the hand and avoid mixing metaphors. Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky. Everyone should be careful to use a singular pronoun with singular nouns in their writing. Always pick on the correct idiom. The adverb always follows the verb. Last but not least, avoid cliches like the plague; seek viable alternatives.
>>
>>46920659
I don't. I'm a thief, that's all there is to it. I know I'm doing wrong, but the things I pirate have always been worth it.
>>
>>46924043
>>46922095
>>46921921
why don't more pirates just admit they're scum instead of coming up with half-assed mental gymnastic "justifications"?
>>
>>46924028
What the fuck is a Bandcamp artist? Someone who just self-releases? That's oddly specific. Do you have an issue with labels who use Bandcamp for distribution or osmething?
>>
>>46924071
>What the fuck is a Bandcamp artist? Someone who just self-releases? That's oddly specific.
Artists who have their works available on bandcamp.
>Do you have an issue with labels who use Bandcamp for distribution or osmething?
What?
>>
>>46924055
I admit that what i'm doing is wrong in the context of our society, but when there's no viable alternative to pirating then ethically it's not necessarily wrong. Similarly to how certain acts are permitted in extreme situations. I wouldn't go so far to liken self-dense with pirating, but when faced with the choice of paying money to a massive company, .1% of which will be going to the actual content creator, I see very little wrong with pirating.
>>
>>46920659
I only pirate things because I'm poor. I can't afford $1000 software packs. You will not have my money in the first place, so why can't I just download it? I will not make money from it, so who cares?

Other than that, I get everything else (music, movies and games) legit.
I like how 90% of songs can be found on YT and just downloaded from there. Granted the quality will not be great.
>>
>>46920849
>...I would have simply forgone the use or user a competitor...
>...As long as enough people buy it...
>...biggest pirates are also biggest purchasers...
>...I'd rather pirate the album and mail the artist one dollar...

I think you are full of shit.
>>
>>46920659
I have a moral obligation not to support Jewish buisness and most entertainment media is simply Jewish business.

Why do you think literally no one likes any of the "studios" or "producers" while still maintaining support for content creators? bad financial practices, no ethical values, dishonest, manipulative, greedy ect ect
>>
>>46923944
And I seriously think in texas you can get the jury to favour you this way
>>
>>46924082
>Artists who have their works available on bandcamp.

You're asking the wrong question then.

You're just looking for music recs in general. I rarely find something that isn't on Bandcamp if it's actually a current release.

Here's a label whose 4 releases this year so far are all great: https://theflenser.bandcamp.com/
>>
I'm not a lost customer. I couldn't spend 20$ on an album or a movie or even more on a tv show. Still I do want to enjoy those every now and then. It's too much for a poor guy like me who still wants to enjoy entertainment and art. I might use spotify if my music player would have it. I might get Netflix also in future when I get a job.
I couldn't afford 90% of the stuff I torrent and so probably never even find out about some of my favourite music/movies and other stuff. I know that doesn't make it justified but I do want my life to have variety
>>
File: what tombstone.jpg (172KB, 660x509px) Image search: [Google]
what tombstone.jpg
172KB, 660x509px
>>46923929
>Problem is that it takes 1 person to maintain the machines that do the work of 10.
We aren't even having the same fucking conversation anymore. Copyright has nothing to do with Luddites for reasons I've already stated.
>>
>>46924120
Nope. I could easily get by with Linux since all I use my desktop for is shitposting, virtualization, and a couple games that have Linux versions anyway.
>As long as enough people buy it
Yes, what's wrong with that?
>Biggest pirates are also biggest purchasers
Been shown in many studies
>I'd rather pirate the album and mail the artist one dollar
Record companies generally pay the artists about 10%. So 10% of a $10 album is $1. And of course, if the artist is on an advance, they get literally nothing.
>>
>>46920659
Look up the common law definition of "judgment proof"
If someone is judgement proof then they can pirate away because they are not detracting from the economy.
People who cannot afford to buy because they are worthless are judgement proof.
People who can afford to not pirate are not judgement proof, they have money that can be taken away in a lawsuit, and therefore it is less risky for them to simply not pirate.
If you are judgement proof nobody loses
>>
>>46924244
Its easy to say you don't need a product when you have it available.

Before you said you didn't want to pay for a product you use in 5 different ways, how you shouldn't have to because you are doing them the service by simply using it and liking it.

Money is poured into advertising, your indefinable drop in the bucket is nothing compared to cold hard cash, which is what that advertising is for in the end.

You say you would pay the artist a dollar before paying an industry, which is great and all, but what about the whole infrastructure behind making that artists music, or whatever the product may be. I agree totally that there is a lot of bullshit in how the money gets divvied up but the main thing is I doubt you send the dollars to the people who need it most, and I'm pretty sure you don't send those dollars at all.

I am skeptical of the claim that the biggest pirates are also the biggest consumers, it seems like the biggest consumers would be the people who have enough money to not need to pirate. you can undoubtedly throw a study my way, but I'm confident I can throw a contradictory one back.

Pirate away, but by not coughing up the cash the only person you are helping is yourself.
>>
>>46924300
dubs for truth
>>
>>46924408
I'd rather help only myself than record companies.
With the "advance" system, most artists get absolutely nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. They get to *borrow* some money from the record company, in exchange for their music. They're required to pay every cent of it back before they get to keep any of their royalties. And yes, they have to pay it back with their measly 10% cut.

Take an artist that sells 1 million copies at $10 a piece, with a 10% royalty. Their advance would typically be 1 million dollars. They get 10 million in revenue. 9 million goes to the record company. 1 million goes towards paying back the artist's advance. The artist keeps $0. That's right, the record company got 10 million, the artist got zero.
>>
File: 1346021808827.jpg (29KB, 334x393px) Image search: [Google]
1346021808827.jpg
29KB, 334x393px
>>46924484
>>46924408
>listening to music put out by major labels

you're a part of the problem even if you're pirating this shit
>>
>>46920659
I need office + don't want pay the 500 euros it costs for full office = piracy
>>
>>46924484
>>46924408
Further reading
>http://www.salon.com/2000/06/14/love_7/
>>
>>46924597
Why not use LibreOffice?
>>
>>46920659
the same way you justify stealing - you get it for free
>>
>>46924610
I dunno, compatibility issues?
>>
i could get windows for free, because i am a student, so i wouldnt consider my pirated win 7 copy piracy (it was just easier to pirate it, than to download and activate it on the university-website).
most games i play i actually do pay for, because if you wait some weeks after the game-release you can get steamkeys online for like a fifth of the original price.
i pirate things to try them out sometimes. then i pay if its worth the price.
>>
Because if they make profits the product is overpriced. This is acceptable with physical goods because A: the profit is much lower per item, and B: I can't download a car.

You can't tell me that Murdoch, etc and his shareholders aren't rolling in the dosh, even with the so called 'piracy problem'.
>>
I don't like paying for things
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtI3ghO4jZ8
>>
>>46921090
>what is a sale
>>
By living in a third world country and don't give a shit #edgy #owtheedge #watchoutkid
>>
File: again.jpg (239KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
again.jpg
239KB, 1280x720px
>>46921848
>theft.
You made an error there, piracy is not theft, otherwise we wouldn't need anti piracy laws if it was theft, people wouldn't get sued for unauthorized distribution of copyrighted content, if it were theft they'd get sued for theft. Also theft and piracy offenses are treated on 2 completely different levels, downloading MP3s is not a criminal offense, unlike theft. If we really need to get real, this video is pretty simple to understand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

>>46920659
>How does /g/ justify piracy?
I don't, simply don't give a shit, if there's no free version of the software I need, I crack it, most of the programs I crack I use them only once or twice a year, it'd be retarded to pay 40$ or more for something I'm literally gonna use once.

I don't play mainstream games since my pc is ancient and can barely run visual novels, didn't even install Steam.

I watch fansubs though, because the region restrictions block a lot of stuff, also all the streaming services available to me just suck ass, I ain't gonna pay to watch off-screen subs, interlacing artifacts, macroblocks and wrong color levels.

The only music I listen is anime themes, ost and anything catchy from youtube or soundcloud, I could technically use iTunes or other DRM crap but, I don't wanna support any Apple shit and paying 2$ or more for a single MP3 feels like getting scammed, if I'm gonna pay for audio, it must be FLAC or WAV, just like physical CDs.

>inb4 autistic
I simply value my money and I spend only what I can afford to spend, since I'm currently a glorious NEET.
>>
File: Rickner.jpg (199KB, 474x330px) Image search: [Google]
Rickner.jpg
199KB, 474x330px
I don't need to pirate anything, I use a Mac.
>Itunes got all the best music for free or almost for free
>Most apps are free or ask so few it's insignificant
>I dont need Adobe products
>I dont need to pay for my OS, most upgrades are free
>I can watch the most recent movies anywhere, when I want for almost nothing on my iPhone, instead to watch them in theatres

Hacking is something from the past, get over it! You'll look like a nerd on linux with torrents and all kind of text codes and getting viruses with an old computer to get what you want for free, but you spent more time for nothing as I got it like, immediately and legally.
In fact, it's just like homophobia and a lot of old world behaviors, I'm not going to argue and fight it ; the simple fact of having more choice will make piracy ridiculous.
>>
>>46921606
Fallacy.
But let's keep on your logic

Imagine myself spending money to buy this Macbook (For once my parents helped a bit to afford it, I'm not rich)
I'm proud of having it because I know the VALUE of things
There's someone I meet on the campus who's got the exact same Mac
Kind of makes you think you're not the only one with a modern MBP retina
"I got it for FREE, i also got this car for free, my clothes for free thank to some high tech 3D photocopier!"

"But I paid for it, that's not right!"
"Haha; You're a loser!"

You think I wouldn't be pissed off? The thing I'd do is to pick a hammer and be violent and smash his free MBP

Go buy your OWN!
>>
>>46924643
Stealing has excitement to it, you need to plan your actions even if you are stealing candy bar from local super market.

Stealing is more exiting, it's nothing like piracy.
>>
>>46926364
>Fallacy.

Wait, how is explaining definition a fallacy?
>>
Because I'm not paying $400 for a 2/3-season animu Blu-Ray box set. Fuck the Japs and their brazen scapegoating trying to take the blame off their mid-90s pricing model.
>>
>>46920659
Depends on what i'm pirating

If it's games, i've paid the dev but i pirate to avoid DRM. I see nothing wrong with that

If it's movies, well it's morally wrong but i don't care. Maybe if they had streaming services that weren't region locked i'd actually pay for it. As it stands, the legal streaming available in my country is a joke. Same with tv shows btw

I don't pirate anything else
>>
>>46926364
>fallacy
No, it's not. Stop using words you don't understand. It only confirms your retardation
>>
I buy things that I'm really impressed with and pirate things that I only mildly enjoy.
At least, in terms of games and music.
I pirate the shit out of books and movies with no remorse
>>
>>46924408
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121126/00590921141/dear-riaa-pirates-buy-more-full-stop-deal-with-it.shtml
>>
>>46926364
kek you're just jelly and butthurt because you got scammed, but we can't compare piracy with non-digital goods, because copying a car (for example) still requires physical materials and a lot of time, copying a MP3 file doesn't require additional costs and is fast, you could use a batch script to fill a HDD with the same MP3 file if you wanted, it might require a hour and 2 cents of energy costs buy it's not even close to the effort required to literally copy a car.

If someone comes to me with an autentic ferrari and says "see I made this from zero all by myself" I'd fucking KUDO him and exchange numbers. Maybe we are too different, I tend to not envy the other people's achievements, so whatever they do I'm not jelly, if anything, I'd be curious to learn how to do it.
>>
>>46924108
And when you pirate, you'll give 0 to the actual content creator. You're a fucking moron if you don't realize this.

Streaming services pay a pittance compared to actual album sales whether digital or physical copies.

And content creators go to labels willingly in order to see a return on their hard work.

And no, you're not up against the fucking wall when you pirate. No one is threatening your family unless you download that copy of Photoshop CS6.

So fuck your shit.
>>
>>46926222
>I simply value my money and I spend only what I can afford to spend, since I'm currently a glorious NEET.
You mean the money you're stealing from your parents?
How's it feel to know you don't even pull your own weight.

You're a dumbass to boot. Keep on gaming, retard.
>>
>>46926532
Not sure why you're so angry at someone who's going to suffer in the future based on their poor decisions today.
It doesn't matter, man. Care about yourself.

NEETs are doomed creatures.
>>
>>46926532
>I've no arguments to counter-attack NEETs let's just show them how much more mature I am, using insults.

Fyi, I used to have a 1600€/mo job before becoming NEET, also I'm currently dealing with an illness.

You can rage all you want and show the internetz how mature you are for what I care :^)
>>
>Implying I need to justify it.
I want it.
>>
>>46921250
First good idea in this thread
>>
"Justify"?

I don't believe in Intellectual Property, there is nothing to justify
>>
piracy is actually good for the companies, they just don't realize this, the pirates would never buy the software, but if they use it, company has bigger market share ...

1) pirate will use the software
2) learn how to use it
3) recommend it to someone else (person / company? that will actually pay for the software)
(if it's actually good)
4) distribute it more, spread the werd
>>
>>46926697
>I don't believe in Intellectual Property
hurrrrr i don't believe in gravity
>>
>>46921222
> If people actually paid for the product they wanted

It's fantasy to think that people will pay for something that they can easily find a way to not pay for -- even if it's not entirely legal or ethical.

It's fantasy to think that corporations will refrain from making money every way they possibly can -- even it's not entirely legal or ethical.

Face it, people, ethics is total fantasy. People and corporations follow the law only if they're in real danger of getting caught. People and corporations strategically break the law, and they consider paying the penalty as a "cost of doing business" or "just another kind of tax". That's simply the way it is.

Now, you can spend your life wringing your hands about how we live in this horrible unethical cesspool of a society. Or you can calmly and dispassionately realize that this is just a fundamental attribute of humanity. I even go a step further and applaud everyone for shrewdly playing the game to maximize their own gains -- it means that we live in a society of smart people, and I'd rather live in a society that's smart+unethical and dangerous+free rather than a society that's stupid+ethical and "safe"+authoritarian.
>>
>>46926733
Don't even try, the shills here know it already but they ignore it because otherwise they wouldn't get paid to shill anymore.
>>
>>46926760
The two things aren't remotely comparable, Gravity is a universal constant

Intellectual Property is an invention of man
>>
>>46926912
>Intellectual Property is an invention of man

Correct.

Intellectual property is a false property right, in the same way that slavery was a false property right.

Eventually, we realized that people being free was more important than the financial health of plantation owners.

And, eventually, we will realize that ideas being free is more important that the financial health of publishing corporations.
>>
>>46920805
>>46921046
This, it's not that I'm that poor, but I prefer saving up.

I also buy books, I will never read them digitally, it strains my eyes and feels stupid. Meanwhile music, movies. games etc. is virtually the same.
>>
>>46920659
>How does /g/ justify piracy?
I don't.

I just don't care and exercise my lack of moral.
>>
It's my only choice
If they were setting up something EXACTLY like a TV Channel but on internet, airing animes, i would watch it
>>
>>46926938
Nowadays we're actually realising that being safe from terrorists is more important than being free.

It's more important that the military contractors get their money than healthcare, social services, education, any of that crap we don't need. We need more F22s.
>>
The cost of distribution is nearly 0. There's no reason information should be contained.

Vinyl killed the street performer. CD killed Vinyl. Internet killed the CD. Similar thing happened to theatre and then tape and then DVD. Stop shedding tears about it, there's no point. Stop jailing people for it, it's just reality and economics.

There's been art. There will be art. No need to worry about that.
>>
Who says it needs to be justified ya landlubber? I take what I want because I can.
>>
>>46926288
Kind of like saying "I don't need to pirate, I love getting assfucked"
>>
I don't.

I just like not paying for shit.
>>
File: 1379258956038.png (252KB, 511x428px)
1379258956038.png
252KB, 511x428px
I don't justify it because I'm not a thief.

Adobe CC subscriber, M-GO movie purchaser, Netflix subscriber, and books/music from Amazon (if unable to get on Amazon Prime).

If I want something and can't afford it, I hustle my ass off to make a little extra money so I can afford it. Shit is more rewarding that way.

With as easy as it is to make money on the internet, there's really no excuse for being 'too poor' even if you're a shut in hermit.
>>
>>46927345
In other words, you're American. You could have just said so instead of blogging.
>>
>>46927352

I would say there are more lazy Americans than hustling Americans. The internet has made being a thief easy, and people rationalize it in whatever way they have to to not feel guilty about it.

"The American Way" doesn't really mean what it used to.
>>
>>46920844
you can't.

bluray video bitrates are insane, like 25Mbps
1080p scene releases are around 10k Mbps
m720ps are 3k to 3500 kbps
web releases on Google Play are around 1500 kbps

the only way to quality is to buy the disc or download a BD25/BD50/BDRX
>>
>>46927374
>pirating
>being a thief
Do some people really thing like this?
Why not even call pirates gangsters or OGs? Ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw
>>
>>46920659
They have enough money.
>>
File: 1341462366843.png (194KB, 600x550px)
1341462366843.png
194KB, 600x550px
>>46927475

You are taking a product for free instead of purchasing it. Rationalize it however you want, I don't care, but that's the definition of being a thief.
>>
>>46928014
You're right. I got a DMCA notice , but just one and it was p2p (Derp, trying to be nostalgic) anyway.. it made me re-think pirating. It's not like I won't do it anymore, but it's that I'll pay for the product when I have the money.. I'm completely broke and poor, and a mental case. But yeah, it's theft. I'm on probation too so the last thing I need are criminal piracy charges. On the bright side, it's very easy to just use a VPN (although Ghostery which I like doesn't offer torrent traffic for free) and also I think it's important you spoof your MAC address and keep randomly changing it. Also, if you want to pirate why not use open wifi at cafes and shit where it's easy? Or go into a hotel and act like you're a guest and you need a password.. hah.
>>
File: 1425300734227.gif (262KB, 244x244px) Image search: [Google]
1425300734227.gif
262KB, 244x244px
>>46920659
That's sum nice equivocation you got going there feget.

Sharing is not a crime under common law, which is the only law that matters, thus the insidious machinations and false interpretations of today's oligarchical governments is of no consequence to the morality and righteousness of the act, as such there is nothing to justify.

The only thing you should concern yourself with in regards to file sharing is not getting caught.
>>
>>46920659
>justify

also as a tool against censorship or shitty barriers to entry.
>>
No job, very little spendable cash. I can't pirate food yet.
>>
How would you guys like if people stole shit from you?

I'm not sure how piracy became a socially acceptable form of thievery, but I do find it amusing how so many of the thieves are in denial about what they're actually doing.

At least some of you thieves here are honest with yourself. That counts for something, I suppose.
>>
File: loaves-and-fishes.jpg (84KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
loaves-and-fishes.jpg
84KB, 640x480px
>>46920659
Im a Christian
>>
> fish
>>46928189
>>
>>46920659
It's easy, It's free and there are 0 constituencies.
Piracy is also a great form of advertising.
Piracy also helps freedom (by forcing companies to release products for free, like unreal lately), or Visual Studio Express, or all of these free to play games.
At the end, piracy is actually good.
>>
>>46928949
*consequences
hahahaha
>>
>>46928949

>great form of advertising
No it isn't.
>helps freedom by forcing companies to release their products for free
About as unAmerican of a statement as you'll ever read.
>in the end piracy is actually good
Have you really convinced yourself of this?

People who work hard to create things worth purchasing shouldn't have their stuff stolen by someone who ISN'T willing to work hard to make money.
Thread posts: 288
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.