[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking Training

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 51swt6Afy4L.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51swt6Afy4L.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
Hey, fit.

So I am going on a hiking trip in the Alps this summer: one week in a Mountain cabin, doing day trips, 6-9 hours with a day backpack.

While I am not un bad shape, Im not as good at hiking as my friends. Im tall, heavy and have knee problems.

I do understand that the best for conditioning would be yo actually go on hikes, but Im booked all week long. I only have one ir two hours un the afternoon.

Would you consider It a good training yo put 20-40 pounds in my backpack and just go walking around the neighbourhood? Im surrounded by little parks and steep streets (Madrid), so the terrain would be pretty spot on.

Thanks!
>>
File: 1485754320498.jpg (232KB, 736x913px) Image search: [Google]
1485754320498.jpg
232KB, 736x913px
>>41768720
looked into hiking myself you can rather go /out/ for advice.
can't really give advice myself for a training routine, just as I said ask /out/ good luck fellow hiker.
>>
Well the alternateive is to mix sessions of hiking with some other cardio, but it would have to be very low impact given your knee.

You do hike/swim/hike/swim on alternating days
>>
>>41768772
That picture is wrong.

Wearing full warmers gear in a sleeping bag actually keeps you colder.
Your body heat needs to be able to heat the loft/down in the sleeping bag.

A hat, aye fair one. Unless your going to cats arse the top of the sleeping bag around your nose.
>>
File: 800px-Grindelwald_View.jpg (127KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Grindelwald_View.jpg
127KB, 800x451px
>>41768720
where in the alp are you going ? im going to do a 7-10 day trip near the Eiger Mönch Jungfrau area.

also yeah trips with weight will help you break in your gear and and get experience. try to go steep up hill a lot it's a different set of muscles. try to find your own pace. going to fast will tire you out a lot faster.
>>
Thanks for the replies, guys.

My main problem is that I can't really run due to my knee problems, so cardio options are limited and, let's face it, nothing gets your heart pumping like a fast run.

Anyway, my main problem while hiking, compared to my friends, is breathing: since they run and I dont, it doesnt matter how much I can lift: Im out of breath in no time. This was especially evident when hiking in Sierra Nevada in knee deep snow on a hot day (3.500 metres), near the end I had to stop every 1-2 minutes. I wouldnt have made it to the top if they hadn't egged me on.

Don't know where we're going in the Alps yet, but probably french side.
>>
>>41768720
Wear the hiking shoes you're planning to use beforehand, it's better to get blisters now than then. And just walk a couple days a week, 2 hours is plenty.
>>
>>41768780
>swimmming has enough carry over to train for hiking
if he cant endure impact cycling would be a much better option
>>
>>>/out/
And I mean that in the most constructive way possible.
Great board, great hobby. Much fun OP
>>
Go up and down in stairs with and without backpack.
>>
OP here.

Thanks again for the input, everyone!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.