[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bicycling = optimal leg gains.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 35

File: bicycle.jpg (849KB, 2100x1270px) Image search: [Google]
bicycle.jpg
849KB, 2100x1270px
Bicycling = optimal leg gains.
>>
Can't deny
>>
>>41293752
agreed. Plus it's extremely useful to be able to ride your bike places
>>
>>41293752
people who ride bikes on the road and hog the driving lane are a plague on society. I make a point to NOT move over for bikes when theyre on the road. Sometimes I drive so close to them my mirror almost hits them. I can't wait for the day where they fall and I drive over their head and pop it like a water melon. Fucking dumd cunts. Take your shitty bike and ride it on a trial, a dike, or some place where there isn't traffic. Poor fucking idiots.
>>
>>41293829
"A" for effort
>>
>>41293829
This. Faggot cyclists don't belong on the road unless there are bike lanes, it also doesn't help that they are all a bunch of whiny cunts
>>
>>41293752

I've been biking for fun the past few years and wanna get into it more.

What bikes would you guys recommend? I don't live in a city, if that helps, and somtimes dont have bike lanes or sidewalks.

I just wanna bike all over the place around here. The countryside is chill af, but my bike is old and doesnt fit me, so I can't go places.
Plus it clicks sometimes, which is annoying.
>>
>>41293854
>don't belong on the road

they do you fuckwit and obey all traffic laws. also the only whiny cunt here is u m8 get btfo :^)
>>
>>41293829
>>41293854
I can't wait until 5 years from now when only self driving cars will be on allowed on the road and manually driving a car becomes illegal. The cager tears will be so so sweet
>>
>>41293867
Road bicycle. Cheap bikes here.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm
>>
File: 1.0x0.jpg (241KB, 2914x1854px) Image search: [Google]
1.0x0.jpg
241KB, 2914x1854px
>>41293832
Protip to all the cyclists riding in traffic. Get an arrow and mount it somewhere perpendicular to your frame. The air drag is negligible and any cager trying to pass too close will get a nice memento on their paint job.
>>
File: 1493608746706.jpg (451KB, 1107x670px) Image search: [Google]
1493608746706.jpg
451KB, 1107x670px
>>41293867
Flat bar road bike.
>>
>>41293829
>people who ride bikes on the road and hog the driving lane are a plague on society
Obnoxious cyclists are indeed cancer
The rest of your post reeks of manchild
>>41293891
Is the bike insured? Does it have a license plate? If a biker runs a red and gets hit by a car, is the biker at fault?
If all 3 are positive then I want to live where you live, because here bikers are premium pedestrians that take up a lane for their obnoxiously low speed and bad road behaviour.
>>41293891
Fuck off
>>41293895
Why would there be any tears
What makes bikers on driving lanes cancer is the frustration of dealing with their entitled behaviour. On a self driving car, I'd not have to deal with any of the bikers' shit, the car would deal with it for me while I enjoyed my meal or something
>>
>>41293829
>>41293854

Chances are the laws where you live say otherwise.
>>
>>41294148
Is the bike insured? Does it have a license plate? If a biker runs a red and gets hit by a car, is the biker at fault?
If all 3 are positive then I want to live where you live, because here bikers are premium pedestrians that take up a lane for their obnoxiously low speed and bad road behaviour
>>
I've biked for years. My quads only grew when I started squatting
>>
I mainly just stay on the sidewalk, move over when people walk by; it's nothing much to worry about. As for leg gains: I live in a Colorado, so there's a lot of uphill, so you'll feel the burn for sure.
>>
>>41293867
I've been riding BMX for years but want to start hitting up some trails plus have an easier ride around my city so I pulled the trigger on one of these yesterday.
>>
>>41293867

If you plan on staying on paved surfaces all the time just get a road bike with a carbon fork+handle bars. If you are good with your hands at all you can get decently priced parts from china and put together a sweet bike from $1000-2000 depending on specs.

If you want to go offroad but not hardcore trails, you want a crosd country bike (XC). They have at minimum a front suspension anywhere from 60-120mm of travel. Rear suspension is optional, and adds a ton to the price of a bike, though it is really comfy on long rides in rougher terrain. You can build or buy second hand a good XC bike from $1000-$2000 depending on specs and suspension. Hardtails (no rear suspension) are cheaper. I'd reccomend a hardtail XC bike as an all purpose machine. Get set of road wheels and off road wheels and you are gold.

Look, dont cheap out on a cheap big box store bike. They dont ride well, parts are non existant, and to reiterate, dont ride well. You should enjoy biking, and not be fighting your bike. Look to spend $1000 US and you will get a solid reliable bike that is 10x better expierence than some cheapo $500 bike from walmart. Gonna last you longer becuase parts are available and swappable.

T.mountain biker.
>>
>>41294461

Get an extra set of wheels for road biking, they can be bought second hand and tuned up by a shop for under $200. Its worth it.
I only own a hog of a mountain bike, and sometimes Ill take it out on a ride at the beach trails which is all paved. Its fine but the wheels and tires are overkill and add alot of friction, a set of skinny road wheels+tires is like a 5-10km/h difference for the same amount of work.
>>
>>41293895
>5 years
try 40
>>
File: 1482467978691.jpg (50KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1482467978691.jpg
50KB, 550x535px
>>41293752
Fuck I used to love cycling but I hate having to buy tools and parts all the time. I'll literally put 120 miles a week on my bike if I have one. I can't part with my shekels so I've devolved to running.
>>
>>41295685
Thanks for the tip mate. Sounds like it would be worth it.
>>
>>41293829
>>41293854
>>41294112
>mad gasfags
you are literally spreading plague in the atmosphere. how do you even have an argument
>>
>>41295893
?... and what are you spending on shoes?
>>
>>41296176
good running shoes are like $70 and they last a long time
>>
Can anyone tell me if this would work with a 6'6 guy: https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-mens-Dolomite-Tire-Bike/dp/B00J7J40TM/

Is Mongoose a good brand?

Any upgrades I could do to make it work?
>>
File: bike.jpg (193KB, 1500x847px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
193KB, 1500x847px
>>41296294
>https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-mens-Dolomite-Tire-Bike/dp/B00J7J40TM/
>Is Mongoose a good brand?
>Any upgrades I could do to make it work?

Pic related is bike.
>>
File: bike.jpg (188KB, 1098x1500px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
188KB, 1098x1500px
>>41296294
>>41296305

Also thoughts on this bike for someone 6'6: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1N23ZN

Pic related.
>>
>>41296396
Get the 29er.
>>
>>41293867
every other recommendation is shit.
modern road bikes are useless for anything other than road riding in nice weather, and anything with suspension in the sub 1k range is going to be half assed because 1k is not enough to do a decent job with every component so everything suffers.
cruisers are heavy and slow.
if you can, get an old school steel road bike or:

look for a good all around steel frame in the "gravel grinding" category.
steel is a bit heavy but has amazing durability, reparability and ride quality.
a gravel grinder or cyclocross frame will be sporty enough for the road and stable enough for the back roads and gravel and dirt paths. the most it would take is a pair of thin slick tires for the road and fat slightly treaded tires for off road. that's a tiny price to pay for that much versatility

>IMPORTANT
if you want any kind of usability from your bike, get one with rack and fender mounts and at least some tire clearance, you'll be amazed at how quickly riding with a backpack gets old.

there are great frames like this available in the $500-$700 range. find all the other bits second hand or discount and you've got a bike for 1-2k depending on budget and how good your bargain hunting is. remember, spend more on getting a frame that will last a lifetime, and then you can upgrade the rest of that parts over time as you see fit.

I'd suggest looking at salsa cycles, kona bikes, van dessel, jamis renegade, raghleigh tamland or anything else under the steel category of this list
http://www.cyclingabout.com/complete-list-of-all-road-gravel-grinder-adventure-road-bikes/

tl;dr steel frame, big tires, lots or mounting points, check the link for the steel catagory
>>
>>41296305
mongoose does make some nice bikes, but those are in the the high end category and cost just as much as anything else out there
examples: mongoose selous (sport, comp, expert) http://www.mongoose.com/rus/selous-sport-20520

the dolomite fat bike on the other hand is built to a budget like you wouldn't believe. for $200 it's actually not bad. but you have to remember that not being bad for a $200 bike does not make it good in any way. if you just want something to play or fuck around with for cheap, go for it. if you don't believe me, listen to this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9JGxBJ5hw8

as for >>41296396
idk as much about bmx, but a good bmx should be bomb proof, especially considering that a real bmx bike takes a harder pounding than your mother. the alloy frame probably isn't the best choice
>>
File: cruzamento2.png (730KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
cruzamento2.png
730KB, 680x453px
>>41293829
>>41293854

>tfw i overtake dozens of butthurt drivers like these guys everyday
>>
I'm moving overseas and since I won't have a car, I would like to start riding bicycles more since I'm a curlbro with chicken legs. I feel like the heat and humidity will make me one soggy cunt before work though
>>
>>41295893
you're probably buying the wrong parts and tools, anon... i own 2 bikes, use them as my only transportation, and i spend around us$15 per month maintaining both of them.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (113KB, 842x792px) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
113KB, 842x792px
>>41293752
What about roller blading?
>>
File: bike.jpg (86KB, 736x688px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
86KB, 736x688px
>>41296833

What do you call these types of bicycles?
>>
>>41296993
scrap metal
>>
>>41296658

/n/ what are you doing here?
>>
>>41296833
What's the hardest part about roller blading?

Telling your dad your gay.
>>
>>41297445
oddly enough I've only gone there looking for help finding the kind of bike that fits my wants and needs and leaving discouraged.

I'm not into racing at all. I got a "real" bike a year ago and like to do things myself and have found the bike I got and most other offerings out there woefully inadequate and over specialized.

I just want a bike that's easy to work with, is very versatile, and is durable. Especially since I want to trek from the east to west coast of the US over the summer. and don't have limitless disposable income.

i've just noticed that in america bikes are seen as fancy playthings and expensive sports equipment instead of practical machines used for transportation. Fancy bikes are similar to snow boards or skis, or golf clubs.
I want more than that out of a bike
>>
>>41297533

lurk the /bqg/ thread on there for a week, it's hit and miss but decent enough.

us amerifats have a big country so biking everywhere isn't practical, but i keep my hybrid at the office and my road bike on my car. metro area fags might get by on a bike but for the rest of us that live innawoods so we can do /k/ and /out/ shit, we gotta have a car or motorcycle.
>>
>>41296993
that's a bonanza bike from the late 60s
>>
>>41297624
thanks for the advice freindo, although it's a little to late, I plane to leave in about two weeks so I can't just sit around waiting for the deal of a lifetime to come up. I'll just rig up some frankenstein shit with what I have.

I just wish I had the knowledge I do now when I bought my bike. Instead of spending 400 on a bike, and then another 200 on shop work over the year, and now figuring out it doesn't do what I want it to, I would have either just put down 5-600 on a good frame and put it together myself or snatched up a good second hand bargain on ebay for 8 or 9 hundo. oh well
>>
>>41297662

Bikes be like that yo. One day you think you'll go into walmart and buy a 'schwinn' to 'get into cycling', next thing you know you're piecing together dura-ace/ultegra/105 parts and geeking on gear inch charts. Not to mention the Strava whoring. Yes I'm one of those fags with my phone mounted next to the cycle computer.
>>
File: rain.jpg (134KB, 480x750px) Image search: [Google]
rain.jpg
134KB, 480x750px
>bike so much i sold my car
>you can find me inna gym (which i bike to) doing leg-presses, squats, and stairmaster every other day

am i gonna make it brahs?

I ride 30-40 miles a day on a XC bike to/from work + gym + appointments
>>
>>41297705

you eating 3-4,000 calories a day?
>>
>>41297704
eh, that's a bit much for me but I totally get the appeal.
I'll use the tools and things I have quite heavily so they better be able to take a beating, but I'll also make sure to learn about and be prepared to fix it when I need to.
for me, I'll be obsessing over an all out custom made steel frame. once I have that I should be set. I'll just slap on decent mid range components, nice performance but not too over the top to be impractical for the average joe, and I'll be set
>>
I ride my bike every single day because no car and the leg gains are negligible.
My legs are more conditioned now but they aren't bigger or anything.
And I'm one of those autists who stays in the hardest gear the entire ride no matter what.
>>
>>41294040
>flat bar
>road bike

pick one
>>
Are there any folding bikes worth getting?
>>
File: 1491142743312.jpg (14KB, 238x217px) Image search: [Google]
1491142743312.jpg
14KB, 238x217px
>>41296152
>mad gasfags
>unironically shows himself in public on a fucking pushbike
>>
File: 20170427_183436.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170427_183436.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Picked this up for $50 last week. Been riding like 5km every couple of days and love it
>>
get off the road faggot
>>
>>41293854
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y
>>
>all the mad carfags in this thread

Biking = fitness what are you even doing on this board you lazy spoiled cunts
>>
>>41296152
That doesn't excuse your shit road behaviour. Also, you cause me to unnecessarily brake and accelerate more often than if you just used the fucking sidewalk, and as such you are contributing to emissions too whether you like it or not
Also you didn't respond to any of the quoted arguments neither did you present your own
>>
Re: leg gains, cycling doesn't produce them.

I've cycled my entire life and had skinny legs. I ride fixed with 87inches in a hilly city, so if anything was gonna get you leg gains that'd be it. I also regularly go on longer rides and my commute is essentially a sprint. Cycling is great for cardio, for psychological and emotional wellbeing, for the enviornment, etc., and most of all for knowing youre better than plebs in metal coffins.

>>41298260
Get a brompton. First weekend I tried one I did over 250km. Savage things and the best fold by far.

btw, I also own 2 cars (because I only have space for 2). I come from a family of mechnics and car nuts (I learned to drive in my dad's 1980 911), I'm a member of my country's advanced motorist association, and have studied (and continue to practice) roadcraft (I'm a fucking nerd when it comes to driving, studying books and youtbe videos all the time).

The simple fact is though, that if you can override your cognative disonance, you should be be cycling. There's very few people in the world who would not benefit from more cycling. Similarly, the bicycle is an increible invention - every single bike in existance makes the world a better place, no matter how shitty - someone can gain from it - whereas there are only a handful of cars that make the world better; works of art, utility vehicles.

America is the most car-cucked country in the world and you see it by every metric measuring health, happiness, stress levels, commuting times, polution, etc.
>>
>>41293895
>dude the future lmao
>dude everythings connected to facebook lmao
>dude everything runs on big batteries lmao
>>
>>41298503

>every single bike in existance makes the world a better place

except for my shit fucking bike and its shit chain that decides to fall off the fucking gear every time i push the pedal down
>>
>>41298380
I like this, but of course it's nonsense...

In the UK there is not 'road tax'.
The notion that a bike 'emits' x amount of carbon dioxide in it's construction only further highlights how much better bikes are than cars, in this regard. There's no comparison between the carbon footprint of a car and a bike.

Also, in the UK, studies have shown that cyclists are less likely to break the law than motorists. However, when motorists break the law the consiquences are far more dier. If this animation had a driver mounting the curb in his car we'd think it was some GTA shit, but the cyclist mounting a pavement is only an issue if they are a characture with no brain.

This best thing about the posts on this thread, and the video you posted, are that they are the last paniced spasms of a bunch of people who's 'very way of life is challenged'. Comical stuff.
>>
>>41298531
Yeah, replace the chain, or the block. Easy. Cost you less than 20 quid.
>>
File: IMG_4903.jpg (800KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4903.jpg
800KB, 1080x1920px
Reminder to shave youre legs
>>
>>41298303
Yes, fellow goy! Driving is for real men: relaxing in your car, in traffic, as you travel from the suburbsā€”it's true freedom, and I enjoy paying for the privilege.
>>
>>41298559
>not wearing aero shoe covers with your Aeroad
>being this much of an aerolet
>>
>>41294112
>Is the bike insured? Does it have a license plate? If a biker runs a red and gets hit by a car, is the biker at fault?
>If all 3 are positive then I want to live where you live, because here bikers are premium pedestrians that take up a lane for their obnoxiously low speed and bad road behaviour.
Lrn2drive m8, you're obviously shit at it.
>>
>>41294172
A car is a 2,000 pound bullet you retard. Your questions are worthless.
>>
>>41296396
Rear brake only. Why.
>>
File: 43221321321.jpg (1MB, 1657x1469px) Image search: [Google]
43221321321.jpg
1MB, 1657x1469px
>>41298608
>car and pushbike cucks, when will they learn?
>>
>>41298503
I wanna be your friend. Do you live in NY?
>>
>>41298668
Would you prefer only being able to brake the front?
>>
>>41293972

Is this legal?
>>
>>41298531
Fix it jackass
>>
>>41298434
It is illegal in my country to ride on a sidewalk
God are you really upset at children on bikes because the road doesn't feel like it belongs to you ?
And how the fuck bikes produces CO2
>>
>>41298671
>laughs at you with panache
>>
>>41293972
>tfw driven my cargo bike into cars a few times
>pretty big scratches every time because of the rack that sticks out in at the front
>>
>>41298671
>pushbike
I don't even understand what you're talking about
>>
When fit said cycling is optimal for gains they didn't mean a bike you retard.
>>
>>41298728
A bike with no motor.
>>
>>41298671

>tfw I heard the other day that my friend was paralysed from the arms down in a motorcycle accident

Your smug sense of superiority is not worth the exponential risk of injury.
>>
>>41298656
I am great at driving, fuck off
>>41298662
>Drives his bike on the same lanes as 2000 lb bullets
>Expects said bullets to conform by his rules
>Calls others retards
If I were on a wheelchair I wouldn't complain the stairs aren't convenient enough for me, I'd just use the ramp or elevator
>>41298700
>is illegal in my country to ride on a sidewalk
Great. I hope there are bike lanes that bikers can use instead of clogging up the car lanes
>God are you really upset at children on bikes because the road doesn't feel like it belongs to you ?
What? No
If they use the bike lanes, they are good to go
If they use the car lanes it doesn't matter if they are kids or grownups, they are exhibiting poor road behaviour
>And how the fuck bikes produces CO2
Reread my post
>>
>>41298821
>>Drives his bike on the same lanes as 2000 lb bullets (in accordance with the law)
>>Expects said bullets to conform by his rules (in accordance with the law)
>>
>>41298912
>Just because something is deontologically correct it means that it is also pragmatically correct
It is also in accordance with the law Atjat fatties get proper health care despite making zero effort to lose weight, costing dearly to the national health care system
>>
>>41298927
>Atjat
that*
>>
>>41298697
Is passing bikes this close legal?
>>
>>41298559
Nice bike senpai
>>
File: brainlets need not apply.png (937KB, 1270x1580px) Image search: [Google]
brainlets need not apply.png
937KB, 1270x1580px
>>41298927
>>
>>41298955
>I am too dumb to carry on a dynamic conversation so I will keep on saying the same thing over and over again in hopes of convincing the other party
>An image macro is sure to aid in my success! Take that, gascucks!
Wow, I'm beat. When do I get to suck your cock?
>>
>>41298940
not in England, Scotland or Wales
>>
>>41298964
there's no conversation to be had. you are a driver who doesn't like cyclists, even when they abide by the spirit and letter of the laws. that is the content of everything you have said. there is nothing to discuss
>>
File: Screenshot_20170503-134724.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170503-134724.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>41299008
>>
File: IMG_0981.jpg (63KB, 447x571px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0981.jpg
63KB, 447x571px
>>41293829
>>41293854
Cage-cuck tears are the sweetest and saltiest of all
>>
File: IMG_0999.jpg (208KB, 720x774px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0999.jpg
208KB, 720x774px
>>41298731
Underrated
>>
wtf i heard that cycling kills your leg gains

look at pro tour de france riders, they mostly have skinny legs
>>
>>41299016
>Cyclists should break the law because I don't like cyclists and break the law by endangering them
>>
File: 140607_DSC_1512[1].jpg (248KB, 1001x661px) Image search: [Google]
140607_DSC_1512[1].jpg
248KB, 1001x661px
>>41299045
GC riders are usually pretty skinny because they have to be fast in mountains where weight matters
They can put out a lot of power relative to their bodyweight, road sprinters are pretty big because they just have to put out tons of power for the sprints. Track sprinters are even bigger.
>>
File: honk honk.jpg (27KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
honk honk.jpg
27KB, 480x480px
>>41293829
>>41293854
>these mad cageys
crying with laughter
rolling down the road and i notice an angry driver behind me. Oh, what's that? you want me to slow down? of course. Sorry, you think I should be more central in the lane? How considerate of you, no problem. Which direction are you headed? well what a coincidence! i'm headed the same way
>>
so much mad /o/ lads ITT
>>
>>41296833
>>41297445
No joke, rollerblading around as a way of transportation is fucking A+. It's so weird that it isn't more popular. It's fast as fuck, it's fun, and you can do it on sidewalks.
>>
>>41299112
only if your a girl tho

do you want to be called a faggot by everyone? get a fucking bike
>>
I cycle to work every day (NL), but cycling is low intensity exercise and not good for gainz. Even running is way more effective, not to mention HIIT or the best of all, Squat, the undisputed king of exercises.
>>
>>41299118

>Implying being called a faggot bothers me

I'm not an insecure bitch boy, so I'll just skate around at 500km/h while you walk places or ride around on your big dumb uncomfortable bike. Maybe it's just more accepted here in Canada because of the parallels to hockey but I've never once been mocked or yelled at or whatever for rollerblading.
>>
>>41299125
try cycling more than 5km
>>
>>41299064
1) nowhere did I say cyclists should break the law
2) am I supposed to like you if you ride on the bus lane and jump to the middle lane when the bus stops, causing me to slam my brakes and have the tailgater behind me crash on me?
3) I paid for the car and pay annual fees to use the road, insurance because there are other 2000lb bullets etc, so I am entitled to using the fast road. Does a biker do the same? Then why do they get to use my expensive road?
4) Cigarette companies are legal. Am I supposed to like them too? Smoking outdoors is legal. Am I supposed to like you if you legally blow smoke in my face?
5)
>I ran out of arguments. I know, I'll try ad hominem! That's a good trick!
>>
>>41293752
Indeed. I stopped squatting (its a meme and its bad for the back and knees). Now I bike every session for at least 30 minutes

Top feel
>>
>>41299158
can you post your legs? i wanna see what cycling does
>>
>>41299145
>a 30lb bicycle and a 180lb rider do the same damage to the road as my 5000 lb SUV with its 600 lb driver
More cars increase the need for more road maintenance.
>>
File: bobbyjulichlegs.jpg (44KB, 510x268px) Image search: [Google]
bobbyjulichlegs.jpg
44KB, 510x268px
dont fall for the cycling meme

yes its good for you but it literally eats up your leg muscles, you would need to do crazy sprinter training to get leg gains from cycling

pic related is your averege cyclist legs, you can get better by just squatting 10 minutes per day
>>
>>41299145
>Does a biker do the same?
Yes since those funds come out of taxes
>>
>>41298968
The other benefit of this rule is preventing massive single file lines that are p much impossible to overtake.
>>
>>41299182
>Strawman
>Projecting your mum on me
Keep making a fool of yourself
>>
>>41299207
I don't know what the case is in England but here there is an additional annual car tax based on motor size
>>
>>41299240
M8 I am not your wife's son.

The point stands that cars cause damage to the road and that has to be paid for. If everyone rode bikes road maintenance would be far cheaper and so road taxes would go down too.
>>
>>41299135
>rollerblades
>but I've never once been mocked or yelled
Because its a turbo progressive country
>>
>>41293752
this+leg day=beast
>>
File: IMG_4907.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4907.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
look what i just got lole

time for efficient training
>>
>>41299277
How much did you shell out?
>>
>>41299290

thoughts on this bicycle?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXC4QNR/?th=1
>>
>>41299290
>>41299304

Sorry didn't mean to quote you.
>>
why does my chain lurch when I'm changing gears or riding uphill in a high gear? i've come off my bike a few time because of it, cant afford to pay a guy to fix it
>>
>>41299145
autism inbound

>Just because something is deontologically [and legally] correct [such as cycling in the road] it means that it is also pragmatically correct
>nowhere did I say cyclists should break the law

the implication is that it wouldn't be pragmatic to cycle on the road. it is illegal (in the UK) to cycle on the pavement. not every road has a cycle lane. so what do you want?

2. if the cyclist doesn't indicate that he's passing the vehicle ahead, then they're breaking the highway code (in the UK) (Rule 67: "look all around before [...] turning or manoeuvring, to make sure it is safe to do so. Give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do")

3. (in the UK) road tax is not hypothecated and, even if it were, it's irrelevant. (low-emissions vehicles are also exempt from paying road tax.) cyclists don't pay insurance because a <100kg payload typically travelling at <40km/h is not a serious threat to your car or your health. expanding the DVLA's remit would cost a lot of money and give the public fuck all in return. it'd be tantamount to a cash transfer from poor people to the insurance industry and government. and how would you even enforce an insurance requirement for something like a bike?

4. you're not meant to like cyclists, even when they obey the law. but recognise that this is literally the whole content of what you are saying: you just don't like them
>>
>>41299330
Depends on the mechanism, but it's ultimately badly tensioned. If you have gears on both the pedal and the wheel, having both on the smallest sprocket is also bad practice and should be avoided (think about it, it keeps the chain at much lower tension).
>>
>>41299290
about 1000 euros for the power meter, new bb and new chainrings
>>
To the UK fags here, where should I look if I want to find a relatively good, cheap, second hand bike? I live in brighton if that helps, 200 quid range
>>
>>41299456
lfgss.com or Gumtree would be good places to start

for Ā£200 you should probably consider a single speed (otherwise you'll be getting trash)
>>
>>41299478
I'm 6'1, but how does something like this look?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/white-chill-bikes-men-s-54cm-single-speed-fixie-bicycle/1231676050
>>
>>41299456
>I live in brighton
oi oi me too, you a student mate?
>>
>>41299555
yeah brighton uni, I want something to get to preston park and falmer from coombe road
>>
>>41299507
it's a no-name brand and it'll have rubbish componentry; it'll work but don't expect it to last. as you're in the UK, it'd be worth looking for a Fuji Track/Feather, a Charge Plug, or a Dolan Pre Cursa. (i own a Feather as a beater bike and it's fine.)

as for frame size: i'm a 5'9" manlet. i have a 54cm frame on my road bike and i think i'd prefer 52cm. 54cm would probably be about right for you. bear in mind that you can always buy longer stems and seatposts but you can't shorten a frame (plus: pros often 'size down')
>>
File: 1466732998434.png (875KB, 1653x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1466732998434.png
875KB, 1653x1023px
>all these cagers mad as fuck
>>
>>41299572
Thanks for the useful tips, I'm checking those out now, how do these look, price wise?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/track-bike-fuji-track-comp-2016/1232520380
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/charge-plug-fixed-gear-bike-/1231269814
>>
>>41293752
Cycling=ultimate gainz
>>
>>41299565
im at sussex uni myself. wouldn't really want to cycle round here though cos its so fucking hilly. A bus can get everywhere you've mentioned
>>
File: 1490503899422.png (332KB, 847x832px) Image search: [Google]
1490503899422.png
332KB, 847x832px
started biking to class, feels good man
>>
>>41299628
Fuji Track: great price, barely used, clearly in near-perfect nick, and the guy was using clipless pedals (a good sign about the owner)

Charge Plug: i don't know how he bought it new for Ā£600, the frame (the most valuable part of the bike) is in terrible shape, the bar tape is awful (a bad sign about the owner)

if the Track's about the right size, go for it. fwiw, a few cm away from perfection is fine if you're not using it for long rides. my Feather is 56cm and it's still comfortable enough to get around on
>>
>>41299722
Hey thanks for the help, I'm also talking to my dad about this and he said the fuji looks great. Final quesiton, how would I go about haggling for it? How much do you think I should ask for it first/how much I should settle for
>>
>>41299685
Yeah but buses are expensive and are quite slow
>>
>>41299751
it's up to you. i've only ever sold stuff on Gumtree and potential buyers aren't shy about offering less than the asking price. the Fuji's been up on there for 15 days (somehow). i think Ā£200 as an opening offer wouldn't be an insult
>>
>>41299859
oh, and, if you do get a single-speed bike: they'll usually come with a flip-flop hub. you can switch (by flipping the back wheel) between it being a fixed gear bike (so that pedalling backwards turns the back wheel backwards) and it not (so that you can coast). ignore fixie cultists and use the freewheel side. coasting is so much more useful than the fixed gear's benefits
>>
>>41299304
don't buy bikes online. most important part is the fit. go to a store and try them out, got to see what feels best for you
>>
>>41298821
>car lanes
besides highways, there is no such thing.
>>
>>41299895
I know with coasting I can stop pedalling and it will still ride, but what benefits are there to using the fixed gear side?
>>
>>41299968
not that guy, but the only one I can think of is being able to brake by resisting the pedal motion. but then retards use that as an excuse to not put actual brakes on their bikes.
>>
Any decent complete mountain bikes under 500? I'm trying to get into mountain biking and I'd rather not deal with parts and shit
>>
>>41299968
upsides
>can brake by pedalling backwards (which is irrelevant if you have a rear brake)
>easier to do tricks (trackstand, bunnyhop, travel backwards, play golf polo, etc.)
>advocates talk about a greater "connection" to the bike
>slightly more aesthetic if you go without a rear brake
>very slightly less wattage leaked by the transmission?

downsides
>if you go downhill then i hope you enjoy going a lot slower or learning to pedal at >140rpm
>your heart'll jump up into your throat whenever you try to jump a curb and forget that you have to keep pedalling as you do it
>if you're not strapped or clipped in then there's a chance that your foot can slip from the pedal and have your leg smashed by the pedal on the next revolution, etc.

for most people, it's basically a gimmick
>>
>>41299145
>2) am I supposed to like you if you ride on the bus lane and jump to the middle lane when the bus stops, causing me to slam my brakes and have the tailgater behind me crash on me?
So you're playing like this, well all cars user are public dangers fuckers and should be gased

>3) I paid for the car and pay annual fees to use the road, insurance because there are other 2000lb bullets etc, so I am entitled to using the fast road. Does a biker do the same? Then why do they get to use my expensive road?
I pay taxes too retard
>>
>>41299859
I messaged the guy for the fuji track bike, and he said that the frame was 58, and not sure about the wheel size but i checked and for that model (2016) the wheel size was 700c. Is that fine for someone (6'1) like me?
>>
>>41299252
That's because you're producing gaz
>>
>>41300041
*bike polo (& having thought about it, it's probably harder to bunnyhop on the fixed sideā€”it's not something i've learnt)
>>
File: size guide.png (293KB, 1556x662px) Image search: [Google]
size guide.png
293KB, 1556x662px
>>41300090
pretty much all non-mountain bikes will be 700c. (there are some weird exceptions to that, e.g. there are a few gravel bikes that take 650b.)

fit depends on person to person and what you're comfortable with. it'd be best to see it in person and try it out, but at 6'1", a 58cm frame is the default recommendation (pic related is from Wiggle's size guide)
>>
>>41293972
>falls off bike
>impaled by own arrow

I can't wait for the news articles.
>>
>>41300090
For a road bike 700c is ideal.

If you're a big enough guy (unlikely desu) you may need to get some tougher wheels anyway for the longer term.
>>
File: DIC-26516-3.jpg (223KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DIC-26516-3.jpg
223KB, 1600x1600px
Why can't I bike without getting hemorrhoids bros?

My diet is fibrous and my stools aren't hard.

I think my anus is just bitch-made.
>>
>>41300254
Squat when you poo.
>>
>>41299193
Pro bikers just burn so many calories biking that they can't build muscle, nor would they want to and hurt their cardio.

Normal people will absolutely build muscle biking. Best calf gains out there.
>>
>>41299193
Those are legs normal people want, only /fit/ managed to convince themselves that walking on two hams is attractive or desirable.
>>
File: 1464939863808.jpg (822KB, 2100x1310px) Image search: [Google]
1464939863808.jpg
822KB, 2100x1310px
What does /n/ + /fit/ think of Mercier Kilo TT?

I'm only getting into biking, but this is appealing because it has relatively all the things I was looking out for in within my budget.

Or do you still think fixies are for fags and I should just get a regular commuter?
>>
cycling is good for nothing but moving around efficiently in cities

and it's fun
>>
>>41300041
Easier maintenance on the fixed-gear
>>
>>41298692
Yes, only front brake is needed. Look it up, provides most of the stopping power as your back wheel temporary lifts off ground.
>>
>>41300263
Is this real?
>>
>>41300515
Fixies are for fags, brakeless fixies even more so (rear doesn't count).
Get a flat bar single speed, you're not gonna go fast enough to benefit from the drop bars and you won't look cool on them because you're not gonna go fast enough.
>>
File: 1493677374525.jpg (787KB, 1024x1614px) Image search: [Google]
1493677374525.jpg
787KB, 1024x1614px
Cycling is really just good for cardio and fun unless you're doing track sprints.
>>
File: IMAG0108.jpg (3MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0108.jpg
3MB, 2688x1520px
Biking only builds up so much muscle, same thing as pushups but even worse since you cycle at 90rpm for hours on end. My legs only started growing doing squats and deadlifts. That being said, it's cheap efficient way to travel and get some daily cardio in when commuting.
>Pic related my bike
>>
>>41297705

>biking 3+ hours a day

What the fuck, do you not have a real job?
>>
>>41300757
A job is 8 hours a day, a 1 hour commute isn't unheard of and he said he rides other places as well.
>>
>Fixie Bike
>>
>>41300615
legal aside: some jurisdictions (e.g. the UK) require that your bike have two means of braking

if someone is riding on a fixie without brakes, then they're either in a velodrome or they're a faggot and a danger to the people around them
>>
>>41300615
You're retarded m8.
>>
>>41300647
drop bars are aesthetic. if you want to look cool with them without going quickly, mount a pair of drop brake levers (Dia-Compe if you're cheap, SRAM if you're not) and ride loosely on the hoods, Belgian style
>>
>>41300615
the front brake is more powerful but that's not the reason you bingbat

http://www.ilovebicycling.com/why-is-the-front-brake-more-powerful/
>>
>>41293829
You do realize it is illegal to cycle on the sidewalk in many states in the U.S.

That's why they specifically have a painted line about 3 ft from the curb, that is the "bike lane." Cyclists ride there, and it is nowhere close to traffic unless you're a dick who is trying to cause bodily harm to someone. If you are driving so far out of your lane that you almost go into the bike lane, you should have your license revoked.
>>
>>41301942

And, at least in my state (and most states, I believe) if there is no designated "bike lane" then the law very clearly states : Share the road. Bikes are basically treated as cars for all intents and purposes. You take up the entire lane, you stop for stop lights, etc.

Only fatties would actually get mad about this.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.