[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CALLING ALL NEWBIES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 43

File: image.png (555KB, 541x558px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
555KB, 541x558px
This thread for any new comers that need some help starting or have questions concerning
>lifting technique
>diet
>supplements
>programs
>running
>>
is GOMAD a meme or not?
>>
I'm an impatient asshole. How long until I start seeing results with my diet/exercise?
>>
>>40045190
3 months for actual noticeable changes
>>
>>40045144
That depends.
I'd say do it if you're not lactose intolerant and if you have no other way of filling your macros.
I'm heavily lactose intolerant and I always just counted my calories and macros. (IIFYM)
>>
>>40045144

Yes and No.

It is a way to get a lot of proteins and calories into your system relatively easy, but it is a lot less optimal diet than getting your macros from eating a healthy diet (Chicken, vegetables, oats, etc etc)

I think it is more geared towards people who ONLY want to get stronger, have more or less NO idea what they are doing, and are fairly skinny.

These are just my opinions, that i have based on common sense.
>>
Been dieting and excercising for a few months (2 or so).
Dropped from 22 stone to about 20 (6ft 2)
Instead of lifting I've been focusing on cardio, and recently I've taken to swimming since my gym has a pool.
I'm doing about a quarter of a mile swimming per day, sometimes going up to half a miles or even 1km.

Is swimming good at burning fat? Attempting to get down to the 13/14stone range.
>>
>>40045079
I'm going to start cutting soon. Any tips on what foods to eat to avoid losing muscle mass?
>>
>>40045290
I'm not sure about it burning fat better than taking a run, but it will be better on your joints at that weight. All in all good job on your progress.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1484514430589.jpg (191KB, 1354x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1484514430589.jpg
191KB, 1354x2048px
I've been dieting for 5 months now, lost ~50 lbs running and doing bodyweight exercises

Where do I go once I'm finally thin? I only need to drip another 10 or so lbs to be at ~12% bf, where do I go to learn about bulking and proper routines? Can I keep doing cardio if I'm trying to put on muscle?

Losing weight was easy, just eat less and move more. Gaining muscle seems scary, complicated and daunting. Pls help fit
>>
File: myvega_.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
myvega_.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
>>40045079
is pic related good?

>https://myvega.com/products/categories/all/vega-sport-performance-protein
>>
I'm glad everyone's doing alright. I'm pretty much a NYR cuck. Been working with my diet and today isn't a good day. I'm trying not to starve myself but I try to hit a bit under my deficit. I'm trying to lose 30lbs ff my 220 by May. I implemented some cardio earlier last week so I hope I can continue
>>
>>40045469
labdoor.com
http://www.supplementlabtest.com/
>>
Going to the gym for the first time Wednesday to start SS. I'm 6'0 160lbs, not much muscle. How much weight should I start with for various exercises? I've been told to start with the bar for squats, but what about other exercises?
>>
Skinny dyel here. Been lifting for roughly 2 months doing only compound lifts every other day. Should I add isolation exercises to my routine? If so, when? And which ones?
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 392x399px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 392x399px
>>40045518
For your first time just use the bar for every exercise because you don't want to have one of those "oh shit" moments. The only one you should add weight to is deadlift and weight should look like >pic related. Those are bumper plates they're the same size as a 45 just with lower weight. Use the 10 one just so you can get good att our form.
>>
>>40045582
Forearms-farmers walks
Traps- dumbbell shrugs
Abs-really fast mason twist are pretty fun
Triceps-close grip bench or close/diamond push-ups
Biceps- iso dumbbell curl
Those are just a few, if you need more just tell me what area.
>>
File: beefsecurity.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
beefsecurity.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I literally signed up for the gym today. I'm at home gathering my things and I'm gonna go for the first time.

How's my routine? It's basically a modified SS with accessories.

Week1: Monday A, Wednesday B, Friday A
Week2: Monday B, Wednesday A, Friday B

A:

Squat 3x5

Bench Press 3x5

Deadlift 1x5

Cable Rows 3x12

Chin-ups till failure

B:

Squat 3x5

Overhead Press 3x5

Barbell Rows 3x5

Rear Delt Cable Flys 3x5

Dips till failure
>>
>>40045518
You should buy the SS book my friend. That being said start with the bar and do sets of 5 with increasing weight by 5 to 10 pounds until the bar path starts to slow.
Then do 2 more sets of that weight.
Also start at 135 pounds for deadlift, everyone starts at 135.
>>
I'd like to be strong and have muscles, but looking in the mirror I really could stand to lose 8 - 10 kg. Should I just focus on that for a few months? Like, eating at a big deficit even if I can't get stronger or lift heavier?
>>
>>40045621
>>40045827

Thanks for the help, I'll be getting the book soon, seems worth the investment. So to be clear, I should take a day or so with just the bar to get form down, then next time add enough weight that it slows my motion, then proceed with the +5lbs a day from there?
>>
What routine or program should I follow?
I'm 5'7
113lb
18 yo
I just want to be generally healthier and a bit bulkier. Never had food problems always been naturally lean.
>>
>>40045079

Been on the fence about getting /fit/ for a while.

I'm not too caught up in actual, practical strength, just aesthetics primarily. I'm ~5'11 and weigh around 110lbs, obviously with very little muscle.

With that in mind should I start with SS? I've been doing a bit of reading, and it seems to be tooled primarily for people concerned with dropping weight, and performance; essentially the inverse of what I'm after. It seems popular here, though, so I'm assuming there's something to it.

Given the fact that I'm practically a waif, is there any reason to be bothering with diet? Or is switching to healthy foods a must for looks?
>>
>"im doing ss"
>never read ss
>posts a routine not in ss
>>
>>40046044
>aesthetics primarily
>any reason to be bothering with diet
>must for looks?
Lifting weights wont get her back
>>
File: 1387386877471.jpg (60KB, 736x914px) Image search: [Google]
1387386877471.jpg
60KB, 736x914px
>>40046119
>>
>>40046044
I prefer 5x5 over SS, but everyone should have some decent strength behind them before just focusing on aesthetics. Also lifting is around 60% percent diet, if you you don't eat good how are you going to look good?
>>
>>40045960
Day 1: start with the bar. Add weight till it slows. You won't go to snap city squatting 95lbs your first day.
First ~3 weeks: add 10lb to squat/dl till it feels like too much, then switch to 5. Everything else is 5lbs.
After: Squat, dl, bench should increase in 5lbs. Probably have to do 2.5lb increases on press towards the end of ss. You should be on SS 3-5 months; any longer and you are fucking around too much.
>>
>>40046008
Please help
>>
>>40046192
GOMAD+SS
>>
>>40045836
I am also wondering about this sort of thing - I am a chick but i dont know weather to focus more on loosing weight at first or go hard into toning/muscle building and hope the fat comes off as I go
>>
>>40045212
>3 months for actual noticeable changes
nigga wat

Noob gains are real. Most people will start noticing changes by week 3.
>>
>>40046158

Alright, I'll have to look into 5x5, I haven't heard terribly much about it.

With regard to focusing on strength over aesthetics initially, I'm fine with that; however, given my height/weight, how long, very roughly, would you suggest staying on strength before moving onto the latter? Is there any concrete point where I'll know to make the switch, or is it more arbitrary and situational?

I'm a little bummed about diet, I had hoped that talks of that were for people looking to cut weight, but I'll have to start looking into nutrition as well, I suppose.
>>
>>40046236
I was in the same boat as you, femanon as well, so I ate at a slight cut, put effort into hitting my macros daily, and started lifting heavier. I stayed the same weight at first but was visibly more toned and lost an inch around my waist.
>>
File: Untitled.png (340KB, 784x872px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
340KB, 784x872px
>>40046268
Depends on how fast you can escape auschwitz and when your noob gains stop.
>>
I have been doing SS for 6 months, I get really tired after squats which makes me perform poorly on the presses, and they are really lagging back compared to the DL and squat gains. Some friends told me to do presses first, except on Deadlift day. Any advice?
>>
>2017
>running a "aesthetic" routine full of isolation fluff and pump shit

Aesthetics is all about bone structure, shape of muscle bellies and low body fat. You will get just as aesthetic on a strength focused program.
>>
>>40046268
You can cut whenever you feel like you have enough muscle to look good. I don't really know of any concrete line that could tell you when you could stop.
>>
>>40046366
Sounds good.
>>
What were your 5 rep maxes when you hit 1/2/3/4 for the first time?

I really wanted to hit them before mid February when the semester starts. My deadlift is shit so I know that's not happening though
My 5RM are 50kg/75kg/110kg/120kg

Doing SS basically since Novemberl

Only ever missed two bench reps, one at 60kg and one at 67.5kg so that's been going pretty well. Deloaded once on squats from 97.5kg when I learned to hip drive properly. Deadlift sucks and is stalling ATM, feels terrible. Pretty sure I'm doing something awfully wrong with that
>>
File: IMG_4440.jpg (167KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4440.jpg
167KB, 720x960px
I want some more protein in my diet and I'd like to introduce shakes in there. How does that work?
>>
>>40046431
How does what work?
>>
im 17 180-90 lbs 5'11
joining the marines in a few months on delayed enlistment what would you recommend to prepare and get in better shape
>>
>>40046448
SS and light cardio in between lifting days would probably be a decent start
>>
>2 weeks in
>Dieting is going good, eating at a pretty decent deficeit without feeling hungry, already lost about 4ish pounds
>Going to the gym is no longer scary, I've learned to not give a fuck

Am I going to make it bros? My goal is to lose 40 pounds this year. Currently sitting 5'9", 204lbs.
>>
I'm 6'5 and squatting parallel means I'm a few cm from ATG

Is there anything I should be doing to help this or am I just doomed to hard as fuck squats cause of my height?
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 500x500px
Hey /fit/. I'm a fat slob who wants to start losing weight. I've already cut out soda and plan to keep that going as long as I can. I decided to start losing weight because in about 4 months I'm gonna be marching in a parade and it's about 3 miles long. I'll have a 20 lb drum attached to me and it's gone be in the upper 90 the temp. I was wondering if you guys had any tips to help out. Don't want to embarrass myself on tv by passing out infront of the cameras. Currently 6'2 and 280 lbs
>>
Are the heart rate calories burned calculators the best way to estimate how many cals I'm burning with exercise? I'm morbidly obese.
>>
>>40046477
Squat shoes with a decent heel
>>
>>40046504
Start taking long walks, eat less, better food. Start doing back exercises.

I was in the marching band as well in high school. Played the tenor drums, those things were like 20lbs, never had to walk more than like 2 miles, though. I feel your pain, that shit sucked major dick. I was always completely exhausted by the end.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
I'm concerned with showing my power level.
Will I be able to have a healthy body while maintaining a facade of a neet?
How would I go about doing so?
>>
>>40046301
Yes, same, not losing weight but seem to be fitting better in my clothes! Good luck and thanks for the inspiration.
>>
>>40046531
I'm just really worried about dropping out of the parade and being the laughing stock. Last year I was barely able to math a Disney parade that wasn't even 15 minutes with a 5th bass and this one is gonna last about 2 or 3 hours
>>
>>40046509
Just eat less and exercise a little bit. Don't worry about how many calories you're burning, the less you eat, the less you calories you consume.

It's significantly easier to not eat than it is to burn off calories.
>>
>>40046448
What the other guy said. Also do 100 push-ups to failure when you wake up and before you go to bed.
>>
I'm 6ft and 170lbs with a trash bench (3x5 120lb). Is it possible to improve it by benching every other day? I've read that 48 hours of rest is the minimum. Doing redditppl if that matters.
>>
How the hell am I supposed to hit all my macros on a cut? Some calculator said I should be getting 170g of protein a day, but I can only manage that if I eat almost entirely meat. Collegefag btw so I have to work within the confines of my meal plan and whatever the dining hall is serving.

Also, what kinds of things should I be doing to improve deadlift form?
>>
>>40046561
Eh, it's tough. At least with the tenor drums I could fold it up when I could barely walk anymore.

Just do a bunch of cardio, and try to build your leg and back muscles, especially the lower back. Try to lose weight, but just a little at a time because the last thing you want to lose is muscle. I don't know man. Just work your ass off for the next 4 months, you'll be fine.
>>
Whats a respectable distance or time to target on the rowing machine? Like beginner intermediate advanced levels
>>
>>40046611
Any workouts I can do at home? Cheap fucker and don't want to shell out the money for a gym membership
>>
>>40046569
I'm walking 6km in an hour 6 days a week, lifting 90 mins 6 days a week and eating between 1500-2200 cals a day. I can see a difference in the mirror but the number on the scale has only dropped a bit. Surely I'm not putting on muscle at this low of a deficit. Are my eyes deceiving me?
>>
>>40046595
>Is it possible to improve it by benching every other day?
Yes, this is what ss and sl have.
>>
>>40046704
I should be more specific, I mean literally once every 2 days, not every other workout in a 3 sesion per week routine like sl or ss
>>
File: bike.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>40045079
I'm a fat fuck with confidence issues, so I don't really want to go to a gym or go jogging in the streets until I've lost a bit of weight.

Is it possible to lose weight by buying an exercise bike and just using that for a couple of hours every day? I don't want to post a picture, but I mainly have weight on my belly and on my thighs, will a bike help me lose weight in those areas?
>>
>>40046544
Huge beard and baggy, fluffy clothes.
>>
File: FarmersCarry.jpg (61KB, 639x720px) Image search: [Google]
FarmersCarry.jpg
61KB, 639x720px
>>40046441
Nevermind mate I found on out by my own. But what are some essential supplements to become /fit/?
>>
File: 130.png (1005KB, 882x534px) Image search: [Google]
130.png
1005KB, 882x534px
>>40046549
This is not a pic of me, but this girl's weight is 130lbs in both pictures - one before starting lifting, and one after a year of lifting
>>
>>40046836
wow what a transformation... and definitely shows number on scales doesn't always mean the same thing. goals!!
>>
>>40046431
yea bro just like jump up and down shake your hands around jiggle your belly fat this all increases your bodies rate of photosynthesis which is the way body turns fat in protein muscle
>>
>>40045378
>>40045290
Swimming should be way better for losing weight as long as you're really putting in effort.

Ever hear how the Ironman came into being? Some run fag, cycle fag and swim fag got to arguing which is the most bad ass. So they made a race combining all 3 activities. The cycle portion is 112 miles. The run is a full marathon at 26.2 miles. The swim is 2.4 miles. These are supposed to be equally challenging activities.

Swimming can kick your ass and drain your energy because the water conducts heat. So on top of you kicking your legs and moving your arms and back and shit your body is also burning more calories to keep your core temperature up while you're doing all of this.

And yes it's much much much easier on your joints. If you're a big fat fuck run on sand ideally as it will absorb shock and keep you from shredding your ankles and knees. Grass is also much better than running on concrete or black top. But swimming and cycling are great for losing that initial weight without wrecking your body.

I actually used to be a runner but got depressed and fat again. I've just started swimming today to lose enough weight to start running and cycling again. Will aim for a half Iron Man either late this year or early next year.
>>
I've been doing cardio in the mornings and want to start to add body weight in after work. Would you recommend /r/bodyweightfitness or startbodyweight.com for a relative beginner?
>>
>>40045799
why are you modifying a tried and tested program before you've even lifted a weight?
>>
>>40046431
...urm.

Keep tabs on your protein intake from normal meals and supplement with protein shakes so your protein intake is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.

I think that answers your question?
>>
>>40045420
Bulk slowly and clean. 200+ calories over your tdee. Don't fuck up and get fat again.
>>
File: received_1430483220317831.jpg (214KB, 769x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_1430483220317831.jpg
214KB, 769x2048px
>>40046633
>>
>>40046240
Upboated, kind stranger.

I just got comments that I looked bigger after only 2 months. Went from ~135 auschwitz to ~150 at 5'8"
>>
What, in your opinion, is the best starting exercise program to lost body fat? I just started Starting Strength maybe a week ago, and I keep seeing shit about people saying it's not great for slimming down.
>>
>>40047191
Turning fat into muscle tones down, muscle is denser than fat and it helps you lose fat in the long run as it increases your metabolism.
>>
>>40046813
same problem
just ate healthy for awhile lost about 30 pounds
then seemed to hit a wall and was much harder
to lose weight. Started going to gym lost another ten and been staying at 360 for awhile.
I hope it's because I'm gaining muscle now.
>>
>>40047288
So I should be fine on SS? I'm also eating on a calorie deficit as suggested by some other anons in another thread a week or so ago, as I surely shouldn't be eating more as Rippetoe seems to suggest
>>
>>40046813
>>40047361
This. Just eat on a calorie deficit and be cautious of what you eat, and you'll lose a bit of weight that way.
>>
>>40045079
I'm looking for gear. I don't have any clothes to work out with.

I need shirts, shorts or pants? (legs are scrawny, arms are scrawny, i look like a fag.), shoes.
>>
I'm following the instructors routine.
Should i do it? Most /fit/izens say that gym instructors are a bunch of memesters that just give you some meme routine
>>
>>40047433
Light shorts.
Those stretchy shirts are really nice. Breathable and dry quickly.
If you're lifting converse or flat shoes. Running you need running shoes.
>>
>>40047440
Post routine
>>
>>40045420
>Can I keep doing cardio if I'm trying to put on muscle?
yes, the only draw back is that you'll have to eat more to offset the excess calories lost from said cardio. I would recommend that you start weight training now and do a slow and clean bulk (ie. don't do gomad, dont eat over 400 calories of your TDEE). SS along with supplementary calisthenics and Olympic lifts should serve well for a beginner. perfect form and flexibility before you really get into your training.
>>
>>40047514
For now it hasn't been nothing serious since i started recently and he has been evaluating me. (i go early in the morning and there's no one there so he can focus enterily on me)

He said this wednesday he'll give me the routine but for now i've been doing some chest press, legs press, shoulders press, back press and squats as well as a bit of cardio.

I'm tall and skinny btw
>>
File: 1465272075291.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1465272075291.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Doing SS, did my 3rd workout on Saturday (doing GOMAD). On Saturday and Sunday my groin (left and right) was in some pain. I'm not talking DOMS, but it was pretty minor pain. Last night I finally elevated and used some ice. Woke up today and have been at 95% since. What most likely caused this? Not enough warmup, too much weight, too inflexible? I think my form is _okay_ all things considered, but I have been pushing myself pretty hard.

Also, if I want to go to the gym first thing in the morning, what should I eat before I go and how long should I wait?
>>
>>40047608
Most likely flexibility or lack of.
I don't eat before the gym. If you want to, a banana with a little PB right before is golden. Get some carbs.
>>
>>40047129
Question about the planks: should that also be 3 sets?
>>
I was doing my 6th SS workout today, and I failed on the 5th rep of the first bench workset. It's strange because last time i did bench it felt great. Was this a nutritional problem and/or caused by trying to cut while doing SS?
>>
>>40047381
Yeah. You'll be fine. Depending on how fat you are you might not make as many gains if you were on a surplus ofc. That said a lot of people are scared to put weight on the bar when they're on a deficit, don't think like this. You can still make great newb gains on a deficit
What's your height/weight?
>>
>>40047660
Shit happens. Don't worry about it atm unless you start stalling
>>
>>40047644
3 sets is standard yes. 30-60 seconds. Personally I do them till I can't hold it for 15 seconds anymore.
>>
>>40047704
6'1", 207
About a 36" waist, maybe 38 with some brands
Half of my shirts are large, half are medium
>>
>>40047764
Good to know. When can I expect to start seeing abs I can be proud of? I have low bf% but my abs aren't defined at all.
>>
File: 1484453524150.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484453524150.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
21 5"11 230lbs noob on a new year's resolution dedicated but lost. I'm dieting because I'm fat but my workouts suck I need a plan and routine can anyone help me
>>
File: 12-18-16 copy.jpg (174KB, 988x1782px) Image search: [Google]
12-18-16 copy.jpg
174KB, 988x1782px
>>40047704
>>40047783
This was taken December 18 last year, so almost a month ago. I just started the diet and program a week ago, though
>>
>>40047807
Abs are half genetic. If you put in serious work you might see starting definition in a few months.
>>
Should i keep going ham on weights if im trying to lose fat. Getting mad strength gains but seems like a waste since not gaining much mass. Mass I could be gaining after I lose 20lb. Thinking of more cardio little less weights? But I don't wanna lose the decent mass I do have?
>>
All my lifts are complete fucking garbage after a year of lifting and I don't know what to do. I can't even bench one plate still.

I was 270 pound fatty, now a 200 pound fatty, so I'm in perma-cut mode. Is that why or am I just pathetic?

I eat the same exact thing every single day:
>oatmeal (90g exactly)
>4 eggs

>chicken breast
>rice
>veggies

>protein shake

>can of tuna if lift day
>>
>>40047867
You fucking what mate
Now is the best time to lift. Your noob gains will guide you through the 20lbs and help if you start bulking.
>>
>>40047905
Get more diversity in your diet.
If you want to lift more you need to eat more.
>>
Hey guys do you do your lifts without spotters? I'm starting at my local gym soon after not having lifted in like 8 years and I don't have a gym buddy. What do I do?
>>
>>40047987
Lift weight you know you can do.
Use safeties when squatting.
>>
I'm skinnyfat, but not really fat. Just some extra fat. I weigh 65kg, 1.74cm. I see some gains, but I'm never able to go much heavier in the gym. I also have a massive problem with sleeping schedule, I can't seem to fix it. I also don't really eat alot, I don't really have the appetite to eat more. Please help.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-17-04-07-16.png (256KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-17-04-07-16.png
256KB, 480x800px
I had to zoom in real close for this one since you fags want to be spoonfed.
>>
Ok just wasn't sure if I would waste my gains since I'm eating at deficit and not making much muscle gainz anyways
>>
>>40048004
Eat anyway.
>>
26 virgin first time gym goer. 6' 200lb.

Is it too late for me? Will I be able to reliably slay pussy before I hit 30?
>>
>>40048030
There is no such thing. Lifting during a cut is essential to keep any muscle you have. Along with lots of protein.
>>
How do I count my calories? I can't just estimate how much rice or meat I eat. Should I buy a small food scale?
>>
>>40048072

This shit confuses me too. I understand what I'm supposed to eat, but how the fuck do I measure this shit? How many calories are in a handful of broccoli ?
>>
>>40047844
>>40047783
Yeah you can probably make good gains on a deficit. Keep it a small one though.
You don't want to lose more than 20lbs
>>
>>40048100
>>40048072
Get myfitnesspal.
Scan the food.
Guesstimate but ALWAYS overestimate if you don't want to measure. Look at how many servings are in one bag or one batch of chicken. Split up the entire bag in to equal portions and compare to the amount of servings.

Seriously just downloaded myfitnesspal. It's easy as fuck.
>>
Do I have to stretch before or after my workout while I do SL 5x5?

Should I drink protein powder every day if I'm not hitting my protein goals (200g)?
>>
>>40048106
Currently doing about 1900kcal/day. Is that too low?
>>
>>40048141
Dynamic stretching before.
Static stretching after.

Foam roll all day every day.
>>
>>40048072
Yes buy a scale. On the back of the bag or whatever with the nutrition info it should give an exact weight in grams for the amount of calories/macros in one serving
>>
Okay, so I have a scheduling question. I've got school and other obligations from 12-4pm 5 days a week. When should I get up/go to bed, eat, and then lift? What would you recommend? Mornings will probably fucking wipe me out since I'm new, but later in the evening I've got papers and shit to write.
>>
I went from not even able to hang in the air for a couple of seconds to actually be able to do chin ups.

My only problem is that I am not able to do them from deadweight, I can lift myself almost halfway there but I can go beyond that. If I do a tiny little jump or impulse (like really tiny, even the top of my toes) I am able to do the full chin up and some reps if I am not tired (Not from deadweigh obviously)

Should I keep doing this and try to control myself all the way down till I can do one or just keep doing negatives?

Yes, I am weak as fuck
>>
>>40048304
Lookup negative pullups. But yes keep doing that.
Something is better than nothing.
>>
>>40048345
Oh you said you're doing negatives.
Do both. As many as you can with a little push. Then negatives.
>>
Have any of you guys accidentally developed an eating disorder while cutting? I'm not sure what my caloric intake is but I know its low.

I started a diet with approximately a 600kcal deficit, I kept track closely to what I ate, and don't keep as close track now that I am in the swing of things but I eat a high protein low fat and reasonable amount of carbs from vegetables and rice.

But it seems like after a week or two I almost lost nearly my entire appetite, I just have no desire to eat and I find myself forcing myself to eat now and am clearly at a much bigger deficit of calories.

I'm cutting, just fine, I'm still making gains in the gym it feels like, am I just retarded?

TA

pic related, someday
>>
>>40047764
>>40047807
also make sure to have good form, your upper arm shouldn't be perpindicular to the ground,
>>
>>40048372
Sounds like a good thing to me.
>>
>>40046676
Dude how the fuck are you lifting 90 mins/6 days a week? What is your routine? That sounds like a one-way ticket to overtraining.
>>
File: skelly.jpg (221KB, 1200x839px) Image search: [Google]
skelly.jpg
221KB, 1200x839px
hey /fit/ first time ever on this board. I'm 5'10 and 150lbs and have always been a relatively skinny guy. not skelly exactly but definitely look like i can be pushed over easily. i'm fine with all of this but i guess I just want to find a gym routine that will help me get more toned and shit. (btw absolute fucking noob about anything fitness I have only ever worked out at home)
>>
>>40048372
I'm actually going through that right now...

all I eat is broccoli chicken and oatmeal with the occasional fat free tortilla and avocado

I wonder if our stomachs are shrinking or the reduction of all the bad carbs makes us less hungry.
>>
>>40048443
Starting strength for 4-6 months.
Then research PPL routines.
>>
>>40048455
idk, at this point though I'm definitely not really eating shit

I guess whey protein shakes are good for something, its an easy 500/60g protein to add ontop of the nothing I feel like eating
>>
>>40048473

feels good man
>>
>>40048464
google is my friend tonight. thank you.
>>
>>40048481
The cut is working though, I never thought it would be this easy
>>
I got a question.
Why the fuck does it take so long for my fat torso to go from no chest muscle to chest with muscle? God it's taking me forever
>>
Do you guys believe this, its hard for me to believe but I get these tortillas (Not Whole Wheat forgive me)

but it's

Calories 105
Sodium 180 mg
Total Fat 0 g
Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g
Total Carbs 18 g
Protein 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 8%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 8%

I know it's pretty much empty calories but I stuff that fucker full of chicken and a bit of avocado, Is this ok if I'm cutting?
>>
File: 1475613061821.jpg (49KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1475613061821.jpg
49KB, 500x667px
>>40045079
I'm not necessarily a beginner, but I'd like to start doing Olympic lifts and have no idea where to start. Do I need a coach or anything that a normal gym might not have?
>>
>>40045079
I can't squat as low as I'm supposed to, I'm psychically incapable of reaching that low
>>
>>40048591
It's fine if it fits your calories for the day.
>>
>>40048611
Less weight until you can
Thighs parallel to the ground or as close as possible
>>
>>40046240
if your a skelly who just started lifting, you won't notice changes in your body until month 3.
>>
>get to gym
>10 mins of cardio
>usually approx 4-5 different exercises/machines/free weight activities, usually all for 10 reps each, 3 sets
>do another 30 mins of cardio

Which one of these activity levels best suits me? At work I walk around a little but not a lot, and I drive pretty much everywhere. So I exercise for around 75 minutes per day, five days a week but I'm not sure how much this website refers to and if I go one up, it says I can eat like an extra 250 calories per day....
>>
>>40048443
followup question to this, how should i change my diet if at all for gaining strength/muscle mass? or is this something i should just figure out myself?
>>
>>40045079
i need a vid that shows a proper curling technique, my friend says im doing it wrong and i dont want to hurt myself
>>
>>40048719
That's lightly active. Everyone on /fit/ is either light or moderate if they're dedicated, unless they work an intensely physical job on top of working out.

Read the fucking sticky.
>>
>>40048789
>exercise sports 1-3 times a week
>exercising 5 times a week
>these are the same things

read the fucking post.
>>
>>40048545
>>40048481
w2c this feel?
I have a really hard time cutting. What are your diets like?
>>
>>40048802
doing 40 minutes of light cardio and fucking around on some machines does not qualify as 'moderate' activity. Especially not '3 sets of 10 reps' where he's probably barely even pushing himself. Each workout probably burns a total of 200 calories.
>>
>>40048784
youtube
o
u
t
u
b
e
>>
>>40048611
Get squat shoes. Yes they are worth $69-$100. They'll last you forever.
>>
>>40048719
Always do sedentary or light. Doesn't matter if you're bulking or cutting.
It's a guideline, not set in stone. You start with it and adjust as needed.
>>
>>40048840
Pot of coffee is all I have from 5am to noon, if I'm starving at lunch I'll have a single sandwich for about 500 calories

Rice, vegetbles, lean meat. multi vitamins.

I gorge every once in awhile still but the first week was miserable when I went from eating like a pig whenever I wanted to this heavy of a diet.

I just make a point to eat a ton of protein and whatever is left in my calorie bank after that I put equally in rice and some vegetable, I change up the vegtables but rice is my filler
>>
>>40048840
Same guy, I'm at a 600kcal deficit a day
>>
Should I eat at surplus amount at the start of SS program or just to maintain?
>>
>>40048934
Look at your body and ask that question.
Are you a skeleton or are you a fatfuck?
>>
>>40048901
>>40048912
Thanks, that's an impressive deficit.
I need to get over nighttime hunger and start cutting for real.
>>
I've been on a strict, 1500 caloire cut for four weeks, with an hour cardio and lifting a day - lost a grand total of 2kg. I weight 107kg. I am so worried, no idea what I am doing wrong, blood tests are all clear so no thyroid issue.

Help.
>>
>>40048997
you're eating more than 1500 calories ... or your TDEE is lower than calculated. Either way you're eating too much.
>>
>>40048975
And I'm still able to be a reckless black out drunk on the weekends, lol
>>
>>40048953
I'm neither, I'm what some would call a skinnyfat here, disgusting desu
>>
>>40049009

I'm weighing my food extremely strictly and I only drink water. I promise you I am not.
>>
>>40049014
Then slowly bulk. I mean SLOW.
Lift hard, don't miss days. Eat ~200 calories more than your TDEE calculated at sedentary.

Height/weight?
>>
after trying some whey today I realized I was very intolerant of pure whey
What's a good protein supplement alternative?
>>
>>40049024
Then your TDEE is lower than what you think it is.
You're not breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

And anyway 4.5lbs in 4 weeks isn't bad.
>>
>>40049034
Tuna
Chicken
Greek yogurt plain
Peanut butter
>>
>>40049046

I know, but everything I tried in terms of calorie testing gave me a much higher estimate, even at a sedentary level. I just worry there's something wrong with me.
>>
>>40049074
There is nothing wrong with you. You're out of shape.
The more muscle and endurance you build the higher your TDEE will be naturally. Just keep going, you've seen results already. It'll only get better.
>>
I started lifting around 4 weeks ago how long until I see obvious muscle growth?
>>
>>40049098

My states on lifting are pretty high, but I have never cut before. How often should I weigh? Should I expect a strength loss?
>>
>>40049107
Weigh every morning after shit/piss. Factor in that your weight can fluctuate 1-3lbs based on food in you, water, and other minor factors.
Expect to not go up on lifts. You'll struggle with normal weight, and possibly go down on some depending. If any lift is going to go down, it'll be OHP. This is normal. Keep cutting, lift heavy, hard, and often. Eat lots of protons. The numbers of your lifts don't matter if you're trying to look good.
What matters is you finish your cut, then you can begin bulking again for more muscle.
>>
>>40049142

Alright. I'll try. My aim is about 80kg. How long if I am like this would you think it'd take?
>>
>>40046599
you don't need that much protein.

100-150 is heaps for most people to make gains
>>
>>40049156
That's going to take awhile, which is fine. You're looking at about at least 20 weeks if you hit it hard. Realistically about 30-40 weeks. Might make it in time for late summer, and then you can begin bulking in ~October.
>>
File: 1484364006559.jpg (175KB, 850x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1484364006559.jpg
175KB, 850x1202px
>>40049194

Thank you anon, I bulked until I was able to pull 190kg off the floor, now I gotta slim down for that 5plate.
>>
>>40045079
masturbating before workout bad or good?
started going to the gym last week. surprised i liked it so much to desu.
was a borderline alcoholic so im making this my new addiction
>>
>>40049234
Bad.
Masturbate AFTER.
>>
File: Conn-Sousaphone-20K-2.jpg (153KB, 1000x853px) Image search: [Google]
Conn-Sousaphone-20K-2.jpg
153KB, 1000x853px
>>40046504
Do lots of cardio, anything that gets your heart rate up for an extended period of time. You want to drop as much excess fat as you can. Fat is an insulator, which is no good in 90 degree temps.

At least you don't have to worry about getting out of breath playing a percussion instrument. I marched tuba in hot weather while overweight, shit sucks
>>
>>40049239
thanks, how tf did desu sneak in there
>>
>>40049253
Because desu is the god of gains.
>>
>>40049253
You said "to tbH"

When will hiroshimoot lift this filter?
>>
>>40049275
Never hopefully. Twitter/ebonics speak is fucking cancer.
>>
I'm really skinny and weak, how can I add a small amount of muscle but get stronger?
could somebody show me a decent routine?
(preferably bodyweight if possible)
>>
How do I learn to not hate cardio? Running makes me feel like I'm going to die and I despise it as a result.
>>
>>40049330
see
>>40047129

Lifting weights would be your best bet though.
>>
>>40049350
by doing more of it, same as everything else in life you weakling
>>
Should I supplement calcium?
I don't eat any dairy products since it gives me acne.
>>
Help, is glutamine a meme?
>>
>>40049026
68kg 1,81m
>>
File: 1484593455060.png (975KB, 3223x4745px) Image search: [Google]
1484593455060.png
975KB, 3223x4745px
>>40049364
if I lifted weights, what routine would you recomend? Ive been thinking SS,SL, or pic related
>>
desu
>>
>>40049494
You are good to bulk my friend. Slowly bulk to 80kg. Cut to 75kg. Bulk to 85kg.

This should take a long time. You're looking for .5kg a week at most.
>>
>>40049515
Your pic related is a lot of volume for a beginner. Stick with SS for 4-6 months but then get off it and find something else, or add accessories.
>>
I have been fooling around these couple of months doing pull ups, L sits and things like that but tomorrow I want to start doing the proper Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine.

The thing is I am terrified of Squats, deadlift and the such. What should I do?
>>
>>40049547
Squats you squat with safties on. They should be just high enough to where going ass to grass the bar almost touches.
Deadlift you do 1pl8 for higher reps, and burn correct form in to your body. Give time for your central nervous system to build up. If it takes you a month, fine. Safety is more important than high numbers.
Bench is easy. You can't fuck it up unless you try to do more than you can handle. Literally every dyel does bench just fine.
>>
>>40045079
is there a beginners /Confidence-selfworth/ routine?
Cause I have negative in that department and it's killing me
>>
>>40049534
What accessories should I add for strength and not size?
>>
>>40049596
It's called lifting till you make it.
>>
What is the best way to warmup?
Also, Is running and skipping rope good for cardio?
>>
File: IMG_0364.jpg (119KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0364.jpg
119KB, 750x1334px
I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 270 pounds. Is it possible to lose 70 lbs by August?
>>
>>40049624
Dynamic stretches and foam rolling.
Sure, all about consistency and intensity though.
>>
>>40049608
got really sick, and healths still fluctuating so it's been ages since I've been to the gym and I've been just feeling shitty since.
but yea, lifting is/was one of my favorite things to do. No lying, weights the weight
>>
>>40049633
That's about 10lbs a month which is 100% completely possible.
However you shouldn't worry about strictly the number on the scale and you also shouldn't set such long stretching goals. Start with trying 2lbs a week, which is about what you'll need to do plus some change. The first 20-30lbs will fly off but focus on lifting weight and cutting.
>>
>>40049588

Okay thanks a lot.

Last thing, does the order matters with that routine? The weight should be all the same with all sets, right?

They sticky also says to increase weight after every workout. How much should I ncrease it?
>>
What is the Manlet cutoff height?
>>
>>40049588
what is 1pl8
>>
>>40045144
Personal experience here:

I'm currently 2 days away from 4 weeks GOMAD. I've gone from 194 to 204 and have stayed relatively lean. Gained a little body fat but not too much.

I don't have any issues with digesting milk, and gaining weight has always been my struggle. Almost two years in to lifting and I finally got over 200. Worked for me, but I'm probably not going to do again because it isn't very much fun. Going to try to maintain with staright food now.
>>
>>40049659
Order doesn't matter but ideally you do whichever is hardest for you first. Weight is the same for your WORKING sets. I highly advise starting with the bar and doing one set, then adding a bit of weight and doing another warmup set. Do 2-3 warmup sets, and then get to your working set.

For a beginner it really depends on your starting point. I'd aim for 2.5-5lbs on each side. (5-10lbs total).

>>40049661
1pl8 is the bar plus a 45lb on each side. So 135lbs.
>>
>>40049658
Thanks man
>>
>>40045420
Ready sticky and start with a beginner weight routine. SS plus accessories worked great for me

>>40045582 when I was on SS I added pullups, chinups and dips and it really helped. Also added curls for biceps

>>40046236 there's no reason you can't lift while eating at a slight defect. You should still see strength gains. Worst case is you maintain muscle while losing body fat
>>40046595
This may not be true for you but my bench started increasing when I did 2 things: worked on form and squeezing my glutes at the bottom of the rep, and tricep strength. Heavy skull crusher's with the EZ curl bar really helped my bench go up
>>40047608
Work on your hip flexibility. Can you maintain weight on your heels and hold below parallel for 30 seconds?
>>40047843
Read the sticky at top of page
>>
File: smith-machine-bench-press-01.jpg (56KB, 920x518px) Image search: [Google]
smith-machine-bench-press-01.jpg
56KB, 920x518px
Proper form for doing squats in a machine like this? I like doing squats but I can't get the positioning right so I often end up doing them just by holding dumbbells and squatting.

Do I rest the bar on my shoulders? Should I be leaning forward so it stays off my neck?
>>
How do I load beta alanine? If I don't load it how much should I be taking daily?
>>
When Should I have a protein shake?
And should I do cardio before, after a workout or on a different day?
>>
>>40050075
>When Should I have a protein shake?
Have one post workout. If you missed your protein macros for that day have another one before bed

>And should I do cardio before, after a workout or on a different day?
If your body can handle it you could probably do all three, but if you're focusing on your lifts you should do it after your workout
>>
>>40046044
Start eating and eat fucking everything.

That is an unhealthy weight my side
>>
Do you burn more calories if you sweat more? If I workout in a hot room vs an airconditioned room will I burn more in a warmer environment?
>>
>>40045144
1%
>>
File: 1484617902669.png (35KB, 765x758px) Image search: [Google]
1484617902669.png
35KB, 765x758px
My weight went from 366 to 254 since August if I start lifting will I maintain my weight loss at 1500 calories per day? Thanks in advance
>>
Fatty here. Should I lose weight first and then focus on building muscle or slim down and then focus on building muscle?
>>
>>40050814
just get straight into strength training. eat at a calorie deficit but don't sacrifice protein intake in the process
>>
>>40045144
it's designed for skellies and auschwitz survivors, so idk
>>
>>40045469
Vega is quality

It better be, too, considering price
>>
>>40045290
One thing about swimming, it makes you hungrier. I dunno why, it just does. Something to do with your body's reaction to being submerged perhaps. Anyway, be careful you don't cancel out your progress by eating too much as soon as you get out.
>>
>>40046836
This is one of my greatest fears. Sure, losing all the weight would be great, but what if I'm fucked genetically and I still look like shit? So many girls at her body fat % are sexy as fuck, but she has this weird fridge mode shit going on.
I guess some people arent meant to make it. I hope I'm not one of those.
>>
Trying to get a good diet, but I'm pretty poor
Can I get results eating 2000 calories of chicken veggies and rice every day?
>>
I think i hurt my neck muscles. Does anyone know if damaged neck muscles causes extreme vertigo? Plz reply.
>>
What is the best time to workout?
before/after what meal?
>>
>>40049469
>Nope. That shit is cash for me.
>>
>>40049900
Don't try to squat in a Smith machine. You will only get hurt. Basically do anything OTHER than that.
>>
>>40045079
My thighs rub against each other when I jog and eventually cause redness/discomfort. I have good posture so I'm not running like a retard. Just wondering if there's any sort of briefs I should buy.
>>
>>40050049
You don't load it - it's an amino acid. 3-6 grams a day for most people. The upper end of that will produce a pretty good tingle so don't freak out.
>>
>>40052415
That depends on your current size and ability level.
>>
>>40052503
A recent study from North Texas indicates greater volumes of work can be performed in the evening when test is the highest. Your mileage may vary but I only lift in the evenings - early mornings suck.
>>
>>40052600
I'm biggish and can only lift 12kg
>>
>>40046008
Currently 20 years old, 5'7 150 lbs who was around the same weight as you last year. Honestly start eating like crazy and do any decent novice programs, you'll see crazy results in the first year if you're doing things right
>>
File: 1484660521833.png (86KB, 201x190px) Image search: [Google]
1484660521833.png
86KB, 201x190px
Fat fuck checking in 5'10" 196lb. Been working out for the year and have successfully cut down 33lbs. s/b/d 315/185/375. Can somebody estimate my body fat and let me know if I'm progressing too slowly or not?
>>
>>40046474
Yeah man, you got this.
>>
Ive been doing a routine where i do all big lifts every workout. Really liked it. Now im not doing any other sports anymore, so would a routine like that be too little?
>>
>>40048142
It's alright
Adjust your intake to what the scales show ofc
Something like -2lbs a week is what I'd go for, roughly
Eat a little more if you stall early
>>
should fat people lift or do cardio
>>
Aside from the classics, what are some good exercises to put some mass on the chest?
>>
File: IMG_1709.jpg (49KB, 600x843px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1709.jpg
49KB, 600x843px
i can only go to the gym twice a week and spend one hour there.
how do i make sure i make the most out of that little time i got?
my goals are to lose weight (need to drop about 15kg) and to get thicc, honestly.

i've read the sticky and i also asked the trainer at the gym (he gave me loads of cardio & some low weight/high rep on various machines).
i'm going to the gym again tomorrow and would be very happy if i could go there with a clear goal and routine.
>>
File: 1466248423319.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466248423319.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>40045212
>34 yo here
>Started hitting the gym 3 times a week 17 days ago (2017 thing, ya know)
>Noticeable bigger arms and less belly
>Feels good
WE ARE ALL GOING TO MAKE IT
>>
>>40053492
do both.
>>
Can I skip rest day if I do only cardio instead that day? Pretty average strength and I've got a few pounds to lose.
>>
I am kinda skinny and I like to drink milk.

Should I get 1% milk or skim?
>>
>>40045079
How long should it take generally speaking to put an inch on the diameter of my arms and what should I be doing?
>>
>>40053716
>only mentions arms
>gonna make it
>>
>>40046008
SS.
>>
Fucking dumb question but is my caloric intake for losing 2 lbs a week post workout or pre? I've been keeping it on the pre side but feel drained.
>>
>>40046595
The more volume /plg/ meme worked for me. I bench every work out now and switch between 5 sets of 3 and 4 sets of 8. I was doing SS before. After a while it lacks volume. Dunno about ppl though
>>
>>40045079
I wanted to start lifting for my NYR (new year's resolution) but lately I've just been feeling tired so I kinda don't feel like doing it anymore. Is this normal for one week in?
>>
>>40055437
It depends on how you calculated your TDEE.
>>
>>40046954

>blacktop not tar

R u a civils eng?
>>
>>40045079
I'm losing weight so I can get the best results of my chest reconstruction, aka man boob removal. Is it bad if I cut too low so I lose weight faster? Will I fuck up my metabolism permanently?
>>
>>40055766
It's very normal. In the gym, I might see the same people on January 7th again on the 21st. After that, I don't expect to see them ever again. Gyms make their fortune on NYR people that have no intention of returning.
>>
>>40055775
I used literally the first calculator that comes up on Google.
>>
File: 1483884821014.jpg (24KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
1483884821014.jpg
24KB, 243x207px
Auschwitzmode here, I've read the sticky and reread the part about dieting and what foods to eat and supplements to take and stuff but I was curious about something.

What'll happen to me if I follow ss but just stuff my face with whatever food I can get my hands on? obviously I'll avoid things like junk food, soda, ice cream, and all that shit but I'm full time employed and don't really have the luxury to cook my own diet
>>
>>40049607
Chins, Pullups, GHR, Romanian deads, dips, weighted situps

Add weight the body weight stuff when you get to 12-15 unweighted in a set.
>>
>>40052610
What kind of lift? I'm assuming curls.
>>
i only have 4 simple questions.
>Are carbs bad4u or is this a meme?
>Does eating different sized meals matter?(small breakfast, small lunch, big dinner and different varities).
>What is the proper way of working out? reps with weight thats comfortable or slitghtly above your threshold and max out?
>what can i do to heal my muscles because i take a week to recover.
Ive been working out for a month now at [spoiler] planet fitness [/spoiler] and im getting addicted to exercising and just want some pointers. Im trying to lose some weight as well as build muscle
>>
fatass wagecuck poorfag here.

I can't afford going to the gym. and I only have around 3 free hours 3 days a week.

Can I make it only running/doing cardio?
>>
>>40053559
anybody?
>>
I've been lifting for a while.

Can bench 235
Squat 225
Deadlift 185

But I'm a fat fuck. 5'9'' manlet at 245.

I know my diet is my biggest problem. What's an EZ mode diet I can go on and a cardio routine I can introduce since I do none
>>
>>40053559
if your main goal is losing weight heavy cardio sounds good, especially on a schedule as limited as yours, stick with what the trainer told you and drop isolation exercises if you feel like you dont have enough time
if you're going to do some exercises make sure they're compound ones

losing weight is more about diet desu
>>
>>40056351
How is your DL so weak and your bench so strong lmao

check the sticky
>>
>>40056371
I have anxiety about fucking my back up.
>>
>>40056295
Do some bodyweight exercises along with cardio
You can even do cardio in your home with no equipment
Getting an inflatable exercise ball and some resistance bands can help too.
Total cost will be like $15-20 and is more versatile than you'd think.

Make do with that until you can make your situation allow for a gym or building a home gym.

Cardio is great for losing weight but doing at least some sort of resistance exercise is gonna benefit you greatly.
>>
>>40056351
ez mode diet is meat and eggs diet eat as much or as little as you want
>>
>>40056401
You're much more likely to fuck your shoulders up with a heavy bench from my experience
>>
>>40056409
thanks bro.
>>
fat fuck who needs to lose weight and do some lifting. What dumbbells/barbells should I get? Does it matter? It would be cool if there was a good set on amazon
>>
>>40056237
Pls respond 5'5 manlet ready kms
>>
>>40056541
Invest in a good barbell.
A good quality barbell will last you years and years without issues.
A cheap barbell will not unless you take ridiculously good care of it and even then you've just got a sub-par barbell.

Texas Power Bars are a pretty good all-around bar except maybe if you want to get serious about WL, and they're also not even really expensive as far as barbells go. Under $400 iirc.
>>
I fucked up my back last month because of "poor form" apparently. I bet it was from trying to do squats. What are some tips for not fucking up my back and paralyzing myself from the waist down?
>>
Any good youtubers that quickly teach you how to lift and proper technique?
>>
>>40056582
Tighten your core. This sounds dumb, but it's really important, and you need to learn how to do it. For Squats: improve your hip and ankle flexibility and don't lean forward at the bottom of your squat.

Otherwise: move up in weights SLOWLY, rule of thumb is to not add more than 10lb to your max weight in the space of a week, even if you feel like you could do it
>>
>>40056650
This was completely without weights and the bar is on the sliding rack frame. How does one go about "tighten your core" Is that chest strength?
>>
>>40056745
Your core is your torso area, roughly speaking. Flexing your abs and all the muscles in that general area is "getting your core tight". I don't like the expression very much, the point is just to not let your upper body get soft at all, keep it hard while you're doing the reps.
Big compound exercises require you to move in one specific spot, either your hips, your knees, or your shoulders. The rest can't be wobbly and move too.
>>
>>40056745
Smith machine squats are awful don't do them.
>>
>>40045144
no if you are skelly
made great gains on gomad
>>
>>40055766

This is what 99% of all NYRs do mate. They dont stick long enough to make noticeable differences or get past the first two weeks of DOMs and quit, just like youre going to.
>>
I am 5 11", 160 pounds, and about 18% body fat. Doing Stronglifts 3 times a week.

Should I be cutting or bulking?
Would I benefit from doing cardio?
Is leaning so far forward during squats right, as per Mark Rippetoe?

Thank you
>>
>>40056794
>>40056848
I understand now. So do the ab machine more. I just started gymming and cleaned up my eating habits but I'm still a chunky guy so I guess I'll read the sticky over and see. Should I practice the movements for exercises without weights so I can get used to the range of motion?
>>
>>40056936
do squats with just a regular barbell, meaning the bar with no cables or weights attached to it.
If that's to heavy do body weight squats for a while until you can handle the bar
>>
Is my diet okay?

Female
5'4
170~lbs (I have decent fat distribution and no one fucking believes me until I step on a scale in front of them)
Pretty sedientary lifestyle, no deliberate exercise while I'm on a calorie deficit but I'm up/walking most of the day

I've been restricting myself to 1200~ calories per day and focusing on eating enough protien and healthy fats

I don't really have horrible cravings throughout the day but I've noticed I get a little more tired than normal although I'm only 1 week in.

Is there anything I'm missing?
>>
>>40056965
I'm just worried about messing up my lower back again. I was practically bedridden when it happened.
>>
File: 1482087144821.jpg (348KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1482087144821.jpg
348KB, 800x1200px
for all the newbies, good luck!
>>
QTDDTOT looks like it's about to die. Could someone critique my form here >>40056964
>>
File: 1460992000326.jpg (150KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1460992000326.jpg
150KB, 720x540px
Doing SS, 4th workout was today.

Any tips for knowing when I have the bar positioned correctly for the low bar squat? I think my shoulder flexibility is making it hard - it's pretty uncomfortable.

Also, how do I know when I'm trying to lift too much (weight, not frequency)? I'm having trouble "feeling" it.

Last workout session my squat was 95 lbs, with what I think is poor form (went below parallel), my deadlift was 155, but I "bounced" on a couple reps, and didn't lock many of the reps out.

This morning I payed extra close attention to my form - and I think my form was a lot better, but I wasn't able to increase the weight at all.

I guess what I'm asking is should I back the weight off, or go for an increase 2 days from now?
>>
>>40057007
>1 week in

come back in 3 weeks, before that you'll not be able to reliably judge the results
>>
>>40056964
looks like a high-bar squat to me.
also, record from the side. back view doesn't allow you to properly gauge either back angle (is it straight all the way, if it bends, where?) or bar path (straight all the way, sticking points etc.).
>>
>>40057059

you can't be serious brah
>>
181cm 70kg, is 170g of protein too much? If so why and how much should I take ?
>>
File: 1458149148865.gif (4MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1458149148865.gif
4MB, 350x197px
>>40057102
I know, I know, they're supposed to figure all this shit out on their own, but I think we can at least give them some starting pointers to get them going properly.
>>
>>40057105
kek

1 g/lb of LBM is advised and that's just to be safe. .86 g/lb of LBM is enough.
>>
>>40045079
first day of the gym today niggas
my knee is twitching a bit, but i'm ok, feeling quite good
my question is: should i eat something after the training? and before?
>>
>>40056891

Could someone please steer me in the right direction?
>>
Been at it for about 5 ish months now, noticeable improvements in my arms/shoulders/thighs/calves

I can't seem to get much on my pecs

I can't seem to lose anything off of my gut

all are 3setsx8reps except pullups which are 3setsx5reps at which point I fail

A)
Bench
Squat
Rows

B)
Deadlifts
OHP
Pullups (can only for 3x5)

I work out every 2 days

I've been eating 2200 calories a day, or less, I'm 5ft10in and 190 lbs and my lift progression hasn't stopped but my aesthetics have totally stalled

Should I add more to the routine? Cut more? Stay the course? I don't really use protein shakes.

I really want to see my pecs grow.
>>
when to do rotator cuff exercises? and how many?

ok rotator cuffs are important, i get it, but when should i train them? how many sets and how many different exercises for it? do i have to do internal rotations even when we all've fucked up doing all that pressing? do i need to do something if i already do facepulls on pull days? if i do a ppl, when to train them. on pull or push days?

PLEASE, /FIT/, ENLIGHTEN ME ON ROTATOR CUFFS
>>
>>40057059
thanks, man.
>>
>>40056891

Cardio just lets you eat more and gives you a better resting heart rate.

Only reason I jog every morning is because it allows me to eat another 300 calories that day while cutting.

Also, no reason to bulk until you reach 10% BF, yes you could bulk but you'd look like shit. Personally I always cut to 10% then bulk to 15% ad infinitum.
>>
File: 2 months.jpg (57KB, 690x456px) Image search: [Google]
2 months.jpg
57KB, 690x456px
I've started doing weights 2 months ago and even though I've made progress, I've started barely being able to do bench pressed without weights to do 45lb, I feel like I'm doing things wrong.
I go 4 times a week and of assorted exercises, what things should I keep in mind to progress more efficiently?
>>
>>40057331

Thank you! I find it hard to cut BF even with a calorie deficit ... could it be that I'm just not anal enough with tracking?
>>
>>40057349
Recovery is the most important thing. So sleep at least 8h per night.
You can eat clean or dirty, as long as you eat something
>>
Skinny fuck who have done compounds for a few months here. Currently doing 3-4 gym sessions per week (with min 48h rest between) but have the time and will to do more. Is there some way to structure your gym schedule to see significant benefit from maybe 5-7 sessions per week compared to 3-4? (without roids that is)
>>
File: cb8143bda347ec9af2e301eabf18e276.jpg (135KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cb8143bda347ec9af2e301eabf18e276.jpg
135KB, 800x1000px
Is there any fitness program using exercise machines instead of barbell training? I joined a gym that has just one bench and cage but lots of machines.

>triceps press, chest press, shoulder press, pec
deck, seated lat, triceps pull down, cross chest pulley, triceps-French press

My legs are very developed due to long walks and running for years. So I want to focus on everything but my legs.
>>
How much of a requirement is getting protein in when building muscle or burning fat? It's pretty much essential? I have a gym and pool membership and have access to plenty of food, but a low ratio of it is good protein, and I'm not sure I have the money to be buying good protein
foods for the next months. If I can't afford protein, is it pointless to cut or bulk?
>>
>>40046504
NO SUGAR
O

S
U
G
A
R
>>
>>40057258
pls help
>>
Is the lb/g of protein a meme?
>>
File: IMG_7382.jpg (94KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7382.jpg
94KB, 768x960px
>>40046448

Don't listen those other guys.

Run a fuckton, it doesn't matter how much you squat, your endurance is what matters. Push-ups won't help you as much as practicing for pull-ups. Core exercises to help you with sit ups as well. Those are what you should focus the most on. Good luck, future devil
>>
>>40054091
Are you considering skim 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted.
>>
>>40053375
Alright. Squats are already proving to be a bit difficult with these weight increments...
>>
>>40058873
Top zozzle
>>
How should I adjust my macros when bulking/cutting? Also whats a reasonable amount of carbs to eat every day?
>>
>>40057059
There is some truth in this which makes it believable enough. If I knew literally nothing about fitness and someone told me this, I would probably believe it
>>
best bodyweight exercises?
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.