[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we as humans insist on such long workdays? Most people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

Why do we as humans insist on such long workdays? Most people can't focus and perform consistently for 8 hours+. It's a pretty known fact that performance quickly deteriorates as the day passes, in most cognitive abilities. 4-6 hours seem to produce more productivity and happier workers. We tend to perform better when we put constraints on ourselves. An intensly focused 4 hour day will usually produce better results than a half-assed 8 hour day. Factor in lunch, travel and getting ready in the morning and you're looking at around 10 hours+ a day that could've been reduced to anywhere between 4-8. Not to mention the extra fatigue and mental drainage we have to endure. Even if your passion is your job, it's still a job which slowly kills it for most people. I'm speaking from experience.

How are we supposed to have time, let alone have the energy to pursue interests that we truly enjoy? Are we trending towards shorter workdays, and if we are, how long will this trend continue?
>>
>>36686020
why not find a job you enjoy doing? then you get to have fun all day
>>
>>36686063

Like I said, turning a passion into a job usually removes the joy from it. It may not happen immediately, but slowly over time it happened to me.
>>
I usually start to fall asleep by 2-3pm. I usually don't do any work from that point on-wards until 5pm unless things are really hectic.

I don't think anyone's noticed yet.

Oh well, if I get fired, I go back to living with parents on centerlink - big deal lmao, I barely spend money anyway.
>>
Germans work 25 hrs per week and are still incredibly productive.
>>
9 to 5, so you don't have much time to do anything else, so you desperatly look for magic pills for other aspects of your life, which increases profit in other markets.
>>
>>36687691
Lol. No, 40 to 60 hours. 20 being unpaid in most cases
>>
Lol do you even contriboot to society. I work 9hr/day physical job and I still have time to gym 3 times a week, take care of my wife's child, make food, spend time with friends and get 8 hours of shut eye.

The fuck you do with your time?

>>>/r9k/ is that way neetcuck
>>
>>36688156
>take care of my wife's child

Why did you want to derail the thread with posts saying nothing but 'cuck'?
>>
>>36686063
I thought I had done just that.
>be me
>magic was my hobby
>started lifting because I wanted to be fit like Houdini
>Just do about 4 or 5 shows a year
>never paid for them
>volunteer shows at old folks homes
>volunteer shows at churches
>volunteer shows for friends kids Birthday parties
>one day I was approached to perform at a pizza place
>pay 36 an hour for 3 hours
>I'm ready
>the owner of the pizza place tells his friend at another restaurant
>next thing you know I am working as a close-up magician
>15 an hour 8 hours a day 4 days a week
>I am soon also working as a birthday magician on my days off from the restaurant.
>I no longer enjoy doing magic.
>It is not fun any more
>>
>>36686020
Change your life style, change your life
>>
>>36686020
I agree, OP. When I had half days at work I was much more productive than the 8+ hours. Everyone was, but I doubt it will change country wide unless a law gets put into place. Oh well.
>>
>>36688228
How long did it take for you not to have fun with it anymore? Same question towards you >>36686368
>>
>>36686020
>implying people work for 8 hours in their 8 hour work day.
People work about 5-6 hours or less once you subtract lunch, breaks, and goofing off during an 8 hour work day. If the work day was 6 hours, people would only work about 3-4 hours or so of their assigned 6 hours.
>>
>>36688156

And you have no time for anything else? You literally do nothing else than work and socialize you fucking pleb. No hobbies, no reading, no nothing.
>>
>>36688299
I'm sure some will take advantage of it, but I usually only have 4 - 6 of good work in me before I slow down mentally of the same task unless I'm hopped on caffeine or adderall
>>
>>36688299

You're missing the point. You can be a lot harsher with those rules once the hours shrink. You'd be allowed minimum breaks, no lunch etc. You'd work say 8-12 and take your lunch after if you want, or just go home and do whatever the fuck you want. Those 4 hours would be extremely productive because you'd remove all the nonsense and just force people to work.
>>
>>36688361
Lunch is there to give breaks, but after lunch my productivity plummets. I prefer this senpai
>>
>>36688350
>>36688361
You are both not accounting for the synergetic aspect of prolonged work relative to shorter bursts.

If you have 10 minutes to do a task that takes 1 minute to prepare for, 1 minute wrap up, and 1 minute for a break, your work time is actually 5 minutes of the 10 minutes (prep, wrap, break, prep, wrap). Obviously the example is extremely simplistic but the way it works is the same. When your time to work is reduced, the amount of work done decreases exponentially, not linearly. If your work day is reduced to 6 hours, you will likely not be able to do the same amount of work in your 8 hour day, and the relationship will not be a ratio of 6:8 (2:3). just something simple like getting "in the zone" for your work is something that takes time and the more instances of zone time required for a task due to repeated short interval work time rather than less instances of prolonged work time, the less time is spent on that task relative to non-work activities.
>>
>>36686020
I used to love 8 hour workdays... They were a real treat since I was used to 12-15 hour shifts.

Really, if you can't keep yourself working hard for 8 hours then there's something wrong with you.

Yeah, we'd all like to make the same amount of money by working less hours. But you just simply don't get as much done in 4-6 hours as you would 10. It's just simple maths...

Just because you're working for half the time doesn't mean you'll have DOUBLE the productivity efficiency. Because you fucking won't... There are very few jobs where you will get more work done just because you had half the time to do it in.
>>
>>36688538

Taking your example to an extreme: You simply don't get as much done in 10 hours as you would in 20. Do you realize how stupid this sounds? Just because something is counterintuitive doesn't automatically make it wrong.
>>
>>36688537
So what happens when you are out of the zone and you are just wasting company/your time. How do we meet in the middle?
>>
>>36688538
>>36688538
>just because you work more you will get more done
>>
>>36688079
thats called coffee
>>
>>36686063

If you enjoy doing it then it ain't a job
>>
>>36688537

In an ideal world where everyone actually WORKS for 8 hours a day, sure, but how often does that happen? The workflow of my coworkers (programmers) are usually like this:

1st hour in the morning, checking mails, assignments etc.
10-20 minutes breakfast break
3 hours doing actual programming, but usually some quick browsing for a few minutes here and there
1 hour lunch
last 4 hours of the day spent programming, grabbing a million coffee refills, toilet breaks, going around the office talking, browsing the web, reading news

this is almost identical day to day, how is this productive in any way?
>>
>>36688686
Lessening assigned work time does not mean they will spend more relative time on work. Just like how people spend more time towards end of work day on unrelated stuff, at the end of a 6 hour work day they are equally likely to waste time and spend less time working

Just look at part time workers or temps who have shorter work days. They still waste time in their shorter days and the time spent fits their shorter work day

This thread is not really even fit related >:^(
>>
>>36688686
As a programmer I can verify this. You need to fit at least an hour of useless meetings in there as well.
>>
>>36686368
> turning your passion into your job takes the fun out of it

This is true if and only if you've never had to endure a really long duration of working a job you were never passionate about.

I know where you're coming from on this; you get restless and start thinking of your job as a grind and possibly one particular part of it seems to stink up the rest of it (e.g. you may be really burned out from the commute, dealing with shit clients, etc). But the thing is, the part of your that's doing the whining is only doing so because it doesn't know any better. If you let it experience true misery - that is, get a real office job that you have you must commute to, you don't see as improving your worth at all, and forces you to work with "diverse" people who are so different from you that all you can do is be polite - for a year, then, when you go back to your passion job, you won't take it for granted anymore.
>>
>>36688561
But that's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying it's linear.

I'm saying that you can't reduce the average working day by half and expect overall productivity not to lower substantially.
>>
As someone who works in a office, I just much rather work 6-3 then my 8-5. Because I don't hit traffic or have to mess with crowds if I need to some where before work.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.