[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting /fit/ for PT Test

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: pt.jpg (38KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
pt.jpg
38KB, 640x400px
/fit/izens and military anons, I'm a civilian who has been accepted to Air Force Officer Training School and should ship in either January or March. I've just started training more intensely, what can I do to improve each category?

>run 1.5 mile
In a week I've gone from less than two laps around the track and running out of steam, to a 10:10 minute mile, to 9:49, to 9:18 today. It feels like I'm making progress quickly, and as long as I keep running daily I should have no problem getting up to 6 laps. 13:36 is the minimum time for the 1.5 mile.

>abdominal circumference
This is fine already. I'm 6'1", about 180 pounds with a 34 inch circumference.

>push ups in a minute
I think I'm fine here too, but what is a good way to improve how many pushups you can do?

>sit ups in a minute
I feel most confident about this, but still want to improve.

I'm sure a bunch of you will say the pt test is EZPZ, but I'd like to do my very best.
>>
File: pt test.png (286KB, 579x713px) Image search: [Google]
pt test.png
286KB, 579x713px
And here is how the test is scored (hopefully its not different at OTS).
>>
Stop being a lazy shit and run 1.5 miles. At your speed, you shouldn't be looking for tricks or better methods. Just go run. When you get your 1.5 to 11 minutes, maybe you can consider intervals.
>>
LMAO Airforce.
>>
File: image.png (26KB, 527x409px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
26KB, 527x409px
>mfw joining as anything other than grunt.
>>
>>35211506
I have been running 1.5 miles anon, just haven't been able to do it all at once yet. Feels like I'm ready to do 5 laps in a row tomorrow, maybe I can succeed at 6.

>>35211530
>not going straight to rated officer when you have a college degree
>>
>>35211576
>Wanting to be the shitbird butterbar that everyone despises in the branch that nobody takes seriously.
>>>/lgbt/
>>
If you're not going special forces or some similar job like rescue diver, military phyiscal fitness tests are easy as fuck. The key is, you stop being a fucking faggot thumb-up-your-ass civilian and go run and push the ground. It's not even hard, any fitness hobbyist would blow this out of the park.
>>
>>35211631
Not sure why you're so mad. I'm doing this for myself and my future, not your opinion. Plus I get to be a CSO which looks pretty cool.
>>
don't listen to the faggot calling you a butter bar. dumb ass is just jealous he didn't do it and get all the benefits. again who cares what branch it is, officer in a shitter branch you get less to do, get paid the same as those who work 10x harder and live the fucking skate life. fuck that jelly faggot
>>
>>35211643
Alright, I'll just keep at it. Feels good to improve tbqhwy.
>>
>>35211659
Thanks for the support anon. I had a contract for 1A8X1 (airborne crypto) but decided that CSO was the better decision.
>>
>Can't Google how to meet low standards
>Lacks the discipline to finish the run that his job depends on
>Will be put in charge of people
This is why I left the army after one contract
>>
>>35211479
bro... if youre already running a mile a day... why the fuck are you not just running a mile and a half...
>>
>>35211479
and the best way to improve on number of pushups... is by doing pushups lol
>>
>>35212124
I should have explained it better in my OP. See what I said to this anon >>35211576

>>35212130
Thanks m8, I was hoping there were other exercises to do in conjunction with pushups, but looks like I'll just be doing more pushups.
>>
>volunteering to die to make the elite more powerful
>volunteering to die for pointless wars fought for purely political reasons
>putting your life on the line for oil

Literally beta as fuck. Unless you're defending your homeland, joining the military to fight for a corrupt government is one of the most shameful things you could do.
>>
>>35211479
Officers run like rabbits. I was in the Marines and the only thing that matters was that the officers could keep up with their fastest Marine. 9:18 for a 1.5 isn't bad, but you should aim for sub 9.
>>
>>35212150
I was waiting for this post :^)
>>
Armyfag here. Do pyramid workouts for pushups.
10-9-8-7 etc, then back up from 1. Form is everything. Try not to take more than a few seconds between. Went from 45 to 90+ in a few months.
Situps and running...just do situps and run.
>>
>>35212151
I'll keep pushing myself to improve.

>>35212173
Sounds good, I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>35212150
This tbqh senpai

Only those who cant fond a real job enlist.
>>
>>35212150
>Air Force
>volunteering to die
Nice meme, worst thing that'll happen to you in the Air Force is you work 16 hours washing jets all day. Unless you're SOCOM, then you're pretty much army.
>>
This helped me max out my pfa score. AFROTC fag here.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/
>>
>>35211479
Sorry mate but you've got the worst of both worlds
>air force
>officer
You'll probably be living the dream but prepared to be ripped on by everyone you fucking piece of shit do a real fucking job officer cunt
>>
Military here. DESU, unless you are trying out for the SEAL/SWCC nothing in the military is remotely challenging.
>>
>>35211631
>literally getting tricked into being a grunt to be able to call people POGs, fobbits etc
>only downside- zero transferable skills, having all your buddies get blown up, sleeping in the rain and getting shit on constantly, having a terrible life, retiring to be a mall security guard

>not being an officer pilot and living the dream while still serving

Shiggy
>>
>>35211645
Just ignore them all.

Trust me they're just pissed (me too) that I didn't just get my degree, then join the military to get them to back pay my loans, as a butterbar so I could fuck around and do whatever I want basically.

In reality you're smarter than all of us.
>>
>>35211576
>I have been running 1.5 miles anon, just haven't been able to do it all at once yet

Then you aren't running a mile and a half. Do it all at once. Slow your place if you need to.
>>
>>35212151
lol. 9:18 is his one mile time, which is bad.
>>
>>35211502
How many miles at the Cardiorespiratory Endurance.?
>>
>>35211479
Just go run a mile and a half every day, do some pushups. The biggest thing is to run the full 1.5, not just 1 mile, otherwise you aren't properly preparing yourself for the full distance. I had an 8:00 minute mile and ran exactly 12min 1.5 mile, nothing special but half decent, but I gassed right out because I was only prepared for the one mile
>>
>>35211479
Holy fucking kek.
Bitch your a lanklet airforce wannabe. You're getting the easiest job in the DoD and you still want to complain about running A MILE IN A HALF.... a 9 minute mile, you suck ass. OTS is gonna wreck you. GOMAD + run x F..
Pull your head out of your ass. You're a flyboy so everyone already knows how much of a foggot you are.
- A Marine Sgt
>>
>>35211479
Nice anon I wish you luck. I'm going to speak to a recruiter today since I just finished my last final.

Might even see you in there.
>>
>>35211479
run 3 miles at a time. 1.5 will seem easy. As for push ups just do 5 sets til failure every other day, same with situps. Got a 98 on my PFT. Maxed everything but the run
>>
Hey there OP,
Long story short I'm leaving in a few months for Navy Boot camp and was part of SEAL challenge. We would all do the Stew Smith method of doubling push ups and sit ups. Take your max that you score in 2 minutes and times that by 4. So lets say you can do 50 in 1 minute, so do 200 a day. Not all at once but as long as you do 200 everyday even if its just 25 every few hours for 12 days, rest for 2 days and you'll have about doubled your max. It sounds ridiculous but we all did i went from
40 to 80 push ups
50 to 90 sit ups
3 to 7 pull ups
With my PST being on day 15
>>
>>35213482
Thanks anon, that is just the kind of thing I was looking for.

>>35214431

>>35214171
Will do. Funny how ridiculous everyone always is about the AF/officers. I just want to better my future and have a cool job while doing it.

>>35215364
Good luck anon. Seems like everyone is always salty towards the Air Force but it seemed like the obvious choice for me.

>>35215557
>>35215673
Those seem like good suggestions guys.
>>
>>35211479
>chairforce
>>
>>35211479
Do Yoga and improve your breathing.
>>
I'm in the air force.
Just keeping running. Don't stop at a mile and time yourself on it. Everyday run the full 1.5. I would actually say run 2 miles at once. Just try not to stop at all. It'll become comfortable.
Push ups and sit ups, if you're not worried about them then just maintain by doing like 25 every hour or whatever.
>>
>>35211479
Waist is fine, you have another inch you can go, and they're usually generous with the measurement. For the rest, if you want to improve, just do the exercises and run. Honestly, I follow my own general fitness routine, and come test time I max everything but the run.

Don't sweat it, it's only a problem for the lazy asses who don't PT at all. As long as you're active, you'll be fine.
>>
>>35217889
This.

At first you're best off training specifically for the test until you get to passing. After that just do whatever, as long as you brush up on it before the test I just lift and run sometimes and my 2 mile is like 14mins, which is ok for never running.

Throw in some chin ups so you can at least stay a little balanced. Or, lift on the side.
>>
thank god youre going airforce. the slowest motherfucker in bct ran a 2 mile at a pace faster than your 1 mile. be a fucking man and push yourself to go more than a pussy ass 4 laps jesus christ
>>
>>35211479
I went through enlisted basic a few months ago for a different branch. I was in decent shape when I showed up and it helped a lot, I'm guessing they will go easier on you at OTS but you should be as prepared as you possibly can. If you are training for the minimum you will wash out of the program. Keep running and start doing a literal fuckton of bodyweight excercises- pushups, squats and core work were what they usually used to punish us when we screwed up. I would start doing longer runs every other day, with bodyweight training and crosstraining on days when you don't run. Also, not sure about whether they do this at OTS, but practice holding objects straight out ahead of you for extended periods, it may come in handy.
>>
>>35211645
I want to do exactly this job through OTS. Any advice? I'm going to a very good college right now
>>
>>35219891
Sure, anything in particular you're interested in finding out? Its a pretty long process. What are you studying?
>>
>>35211479
As a guy who can run 5 miles at a 7:40 minute per mile pace.
It's all about keep moving.
Keep running until your can't keep pace anymore, switch to a light jog, walk, doesn't really matter.
Keep moving
When your heart rate has dropped enough so you don't feel like your gasping, start running again.
That's all there is to it, eventually you won't need to walk, you'll jog, eventually you won't need to jug, you'll run, eventually you won't run. You'll sprint the entire mile.
Just takes a while.

For pushups (since the military allows cheats by switching hand position) you can easily obtain the passing score doing just regular pushups.
Switch over to wide arm and push a couple more out.
Rest.
Switch back to normal and do a few more, switch back to wide arm.
They work out different muscles and count on the test.

The easiest way to get better at situps is learn to do them without propping your feet against something. Once you can reach your goal without someone holding your feet.
It's just cheese mode when someone is holding your feet.
For the Army PT test I regularly got.

2 mile run
>14:32
Pushups
>71
Situps
>105
>>
>>35220124
>Keep moving
Thats what my runner friend said. I've been walking and not sitting still when I catch my breath, and continuing to run once I do. I'll push through the entire 1.5 miles tomorrow one way or another. Thanks for all the tips anon. Its interesting that they let you change stance for pushups.
>>
>>35220650
Run for a certain amount of time. Run for 20minutes. Take note of your distance. Then rev up to 30-40 minutes. Take note. Then test your 1.5 mile. You'll greatly improve. I ran a 13:45 two mile in basic. Later, ran a 12:58 in airborne school. It's just something to try out that helped me.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.