[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Of phillips, torx and robertson, which screw drive strips the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1649-v2.jpg (65KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1649-v2.jpg
65KB, 1000x562px
Of phillips, torx and robertson, which screw drive strips the least? Does torx or robertson have advantages over phillips that would be useful for small wood projects?
>>
>>1233083
Every fucking week. There is a thread about drive types in the catalog. For sure. Fucking retard. Post something about shipping containers or gtfo
>>
with robertson you're more likely to break the head right off. it's generally the bits that strip not the screw. torx are great unless they rust then the cock suckers will strip every single time
>>
>>1233083

Why not flathead? They never strip if you use the proper driver and torque.
>>
Anyone who answers with anything other than square drive is memeing and clearly have never had to use screws in a workplace scenario.
>>
>>1233253
This
>>
Robertson > Torx > Phillips
Unless youre a builder and dont give a fuck about what happens to the screws in the future, then torx.
>>
>>1233253
I'll do you once better. As this is supposed to be /diy/ the best I recommend is "The Phillips/square screw drive, also known as the Quadrex or Pozisquare screw drive, is a combination of the Phillips and Robertson screw drives"
So you have the two most common types of drives so any bit you're currently using should work or any other person will have. It's the best of both worlds for most all things. (If you're doing high torque things why aren't you using a bolt?)
Also I've found impact drivers don't strip the head as much as a regular power screw driver.
>>
>Small wood projects

Square drive countersunk screws are asthetic as fuck.

Advantage of Phillips wood screws is that typically you find them in a myriad of sizes and finishes, also more economical.

As for stripping, idiots and the impatient will fuck up a good screw before the head type does.
>>
For small wood projects you shouldn't be using nearly enough of the force that is required to strip a screw, unless of course you picked up your hardware at the dollar store. Go with what you like best.
>>
Why not a rectangle version of robertson? Like flathead only with closed off ends. No stripping and minimal being caked with shit and rust.
>>
File: IMG_0918.jpg (18KB, 363x405px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0918.jpg
18KB, 363x405px
>>1233795
like this. I imagine the head might come off pretty often.
>>
>>1233083
robertson but you can only found them in canada.

i guess torx, is the most allen alike
>>
>>1233253
This
>>
>>1233236
Why not just use a nail? Cause I want control over where it's going, and I don't want to destroy the surface of what I'm working on with screwdriver marks.
Flathead is shit for everything.
>>1233797
I repeat: flathead is shit for everything.

>>1233733
>>1233253
>>1233741
Yes.

>>1233753
No. Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing. Pozisquare can strip with both Phillips and Robertson. Plus they look retarded.
>>
>>1235812
>you can only found them in canada.

What the hell are you talking about?
Every single hardware store has it and torx
>>
>>1236297
They're shit for everything if you're a cock gargling, ham handed mongoloid with an IQ that's less than your shoe size. As they would probably say on /pol/: flat heads literally did nothing wrong. And if they said THAT on /pol/, they'd finally be right.
>>
>>1236297
Nope, theres a reason flathead is used on old handplanes and shit. Theyre the most strip and rust proof there is. But they are shit when it comes to convenience and non screwdriver applications.
>>
Can someone make one of those brain expaning things that goes in this order.
>Phillips
>Torx
>Robertson
>Slotted
>Rivets
>>
To all the retards saying "flathead":

Find me a reputable deck screw that has a slotted head.

I won't say you won't find one, but I WILL say you're going to have a really fuckin' hard time. Think about why that might be, maybe.
>>
>>1236313
Retard, different screws have different purposes. Slotted is suitable for adjustment screws and shit you dont want getting stripped or caked with rust and dirt. Its why you see it on tools.
>>
>>1236299
>blatant, baseless ad hominem
/pol/ is where you should stay.
>>1236307
They're everywhere on older stuff because modern manufacturing for things like Robertson and Torx wasn't as cheap and quick as it is today. Look at all the plastic consumer crap we have held together with #4-40 Allen screws today; they're fucking everywhere. How many #4-40 Allen screws do you think existed on the planet before 1975? They're popular now because better manufacturing has brought the cost down tremendously.
>>
>>1236317
Have you seen the complexity of some old tools? They had the machining to make anything and they made slotted adjustment screws. Why? Because slotted is fucking awesome for adjustment screws. Useless for building screws and holding together electronics but awesome for adjustment screws. Get that through your thick skull.
>>
>>1236312
I fucking love riveting. They are horrible fasteners, but it gets my cock hard every time I hook my rivet gun to the air line.
>>
>>1236320
>Useless for building screws and holding together electronics
>but awesome for adjustment screws
What the fuck is the difference, Jeeves?
Anything a slotted could be used for, almost any other kind of driver (Phillips excluded) would do better. Allen is ok. Torx is ok. Robertson is godly. Why stick with the one that your driver will slip and slide out of of totally blow out if you use the indescriptly wrong size, when there are better options? Price used to be a bigger problem, now it isn't. Slotted should die. That's all I'm saying.
>>
>>1236314
>Retard, different screws have different purposes

The question was not "what is best". The question is "what strips the least".

There's a reason NO modern, high-torque fasteners use slotted heads, excepting some extremely niche cases which I'm sure exist, but that I'm not aware of.
>>
>>1236320
>They had the machining to make anything and they made slotted adjustment screws

Well it's a good thing cost isn't a factor in mass-manufacturing effective, inexpensive fasteners.

Oh, wait...

How about take a look at the retarded complexity of a modern VMC or turret lathe? Hex and Torx. Hex and torx everywhere.
>>
>>1236321
>pnuematic riveter
Why? Hand riveting is orgasmic, why take away half the pleasure.
>>
>>1236317
But it's not ad hominem, Anon. If you have screwdriver marks on your work it's because you are a ham fisted moron that doesn't care about his work. You were probably never trained to use a screwdriver correctly, and it shows by making you look like an amateur, because you are. Oh, and use both of your brain cells, re-read my post. I don't even like /pol/. However, I still maintain that flatheads did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1236325
Slotted is commonly used for adjustment on carburettors as visually they're easier to look at and see where they are set at
>>
>>1236326
He's talking about the adjustment screws on his EoTech. He doesn't realize they were meant for people who might not have a screwdriver readily available, and who aren't afraid of scratching everything up.
>>
>>1236336
>my post is literally ad hominem
>let me completely rephrase it so it's not ad hominem
>see? I'm not a retard you're a retard
>>
>>1233083
>yet another thread about screws
Look before you open another thread.
>>1227393

>>1233253
You can't find them in europe, at least where I live. They simply are not sold here. And things get done here as well. If they where so much superior to the others they would be sold here. I worked with robertson, torx, phillips and pozidriv, and they all don't strip if you pay attention and know how to drive a screw. It hardly ever matters.
>>
>>1236434
Actually, I HAD to rephrase because of your reading comprehension. I'm sorry you can't handle a flat bladed screwdriver for anything besides opening a gallon of paint (with a shot of black in it). You're right, flat head screws have no reason to exist, ever. That's why there aren't any left in the world. Oh. Wait...
>>
>>1236297
>I repeat: flathead is shit for everything.
Flathead > F-head, both in sound and performance.
>>
>>1233083
It depends on the purpose, but i just built a deck with Torx screws and it saved me a lot of agony. They don't slip nearly as much as a phillips head.
>>
>>1233253
Winner winner. Square drive dominates all.
>>
Ive never used square drive, but it seems like the corners would strip easily. What am i missing?
>>
>>1236575

Square drive in my experience has essentially zero cam out and I've used a lot of various sized torx bits as well. Only issue is that sometimes, especially with an impact, cam out is preferable to breaking off the robertson/square's head
>>
>>1233753

Meh. Youll see these a lot if you're doing electrical work, mostly set screws for fittings. They strip easy as fuck. Partially because of the low quality metal used for fittings, but also cause it doesnt accept either bit quite right.

The funny part is a lot of electrician have square-tip/philips bits on their drill anyways.
>>
Use an M8 bolt, they are god tier fasteners. I fixed all my kitchen together with them.

Best thing for decking too, you don't n ed to counter sink them
>>
>>1233777
>Square drive countersunk screws are asthetic as fuck
You can line the heads up better on Torx, since it only needs to rotate at most 30 degrees instead of 45 with square drive.
>>
>>1237291
But then you have the problem that Torx heads are ugly no matter which way they're turned.
>>
torx or you're a basement dwelling casual
>>
>>1233083

Friendly reminder that "how bad this strips" also depends on the quality material used to make said screw

I've seen screws strip right out the moment any resistance occurs
>>
>>1236298
>Every single hardware store has it and torx
Definetly no.
>>
>>1236298
Add:
Where I live

We don't have robertson. South east Asia had areas where torx is unknown. Only Philips. Boy did it suck to build over there.
>>
>>1233253
>hurr durr only woodworking peons ever use screws
I'd rater have a Phillips head screw cam out than have some monkey in a factory rip out a nutsert or clinch nut by over tightening a fastener. Fastener use is situational.
>>
>>1237219
>M8
>machine screws
>for a deck
Why wouldn't you use an actual wood screw? That makes no fucking sense. Also, M8 doesn't describe the kind of head you got, so maybe you need to countersink, maybe not. Figure your life out before posting here again.
>>
>>1237300
Dubs of truth.
>>
File: m5 socket head cap screw.jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
m5 socket head cap screw.jpg
16KB, 400x300px
>>1233083
How about rethink you methods of fixturing and use SHCS like a non-retard.

They are easily the best method of attaching one thing to another, because all the holding power is done on the shoulder and if you snap the head off you can easily just take the rest out.

Fuck your nigger-tier self tapping screws, use a nut and washer
>>
>>1238134
kys
>>
>>1238134
>The "I'm from the maker movement so I know what's best" poster

Empowering certain people to do it themselves was a mistake
>>
File: 1490430771148.jpg (6KB, 167x175px) Image search: [Google]
1490430771148.jpg
6KB, 167x175px
>>1238195
Nah just the drunk toolmaker rambling about having to deal with fasteners that millwrights chowder right to fuck.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.