[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first time wanting to build a pc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: [email protected] (947KB, 1528x2160px) Image search: [Google]
PR2_01_1.31_BLUEPRINT@2160px.jpg
947KB, 1528x2160px
I've always been into gaming and video games even sense i was a little kid. I currently have a mac from christmas that my parents got for me s i kept it not just for the "not a horrible son part" but also thinking that i can play lots of decent games. NOPE. Long story short i want to build a pc does anyone have any tips or tricks they can help me with?
>>
pc parts picker.

building a computer is pretty easy, just look at a youtube video
>>
Whats your budget? What games do you play?

Building a pc has become just like legos today so it's not really difficult. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube that hold your hand throughout the build. But in my experience I would stay away from full ATX sized towers because they become a pain to move.
>>
>>1229074
falcon's guide.
>>
>>1229074
Try the new Atari TT030.

I heard it's bretty good.
>>
first consider what games you want to play, building a 1500 build with a gtx 1080 is retarded if youre planning on just playing low spec games
But generally,. i made a semi budget build last month that can run pretyy much anything 1080p at ultra setttings, ill upload my parts list later but it ended up being like 1150$ full setup
>>
>>1229074
>wanting botnet 10
>>
>>1229630
Please fuck back off to /g/
>>
>>1229074
>>>/g/pcbg
It's basically legos. Everything is labeled and keyed so that you can't possibly fuck up.
The most important part of the system is the PSU. DO NOT cheap out on it. Read jonnyguru reviews. I personally recommend EVGA's G2/G3 lineup. A bad PSU can shit the bed and take everything with it.
Also remember to install the mainboard standoffs.
>>
>>1229074
>I've always been into gaming and video games even sense i was a little kid
>but also thinking that i can play lots of decent games
Some major red flags there anon. Are you 14 by any chance?
>>
>>1229074
Bootcamp
>>
>>1229074
As other people in the thread have said, building a PC is basically legos.
As long as the part fits in the hole, it will work. This should go for any part, unless that part was designed by the Chinese.
Following this advice >>1229641 you basically cannot fuck up.

I'm going to say a lot about airflow, but keep in mind that your computer still will work jammed inside a closet. They aren't delicate.

Depending on how severe your autism is, you can make it more difficult. In other words, removing or simplifying variables.

Variable 1: Thermal paste application
This is basic thermodynamics. Air is an excellent insulator. It's so good that we use it in the walls of your house. Thermal paste is a product that can eliminate microscopic air pockets between the CPU die and the heatsink.
The idea is that you want to cover the CPU die hidden beneath the IHS entirely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ
Variable 2: Airflow
Air is a fluid. We have invented two general varieties of fans to deal with moving air.
1. Blower fans - You see these on laptops and reference GPUs. They're designed to be used in tight spaces. It should remind you of a vacuum in reverse, especially because they're loud as fuck.
2. Axial fans - These are casefans and aftermarket GPU fans. These are designed to move a lot of air in an open space. They do poorly in tight spaces.
Unless you are using a U1/U2 server chassis or suck air from the hard drives, you will be using nothing but axial fans. This means you should be doing cable tucking, and have a preference for wide-open spaces in your case.
Some cases like to direct airflow using ducting, these use blower fans for obvious reasons.

Variable 3: Case pressure
This is mostly about dust management. Your case fans are directional. Think about where you want air to come in or out from. Positive pressure causes dust to build at the inlet fans. Negative pressure causes dust to build literally everywhere.
>>
>>1229691
Also, fun story about thermal paste.
One time I was being assed to upgrade a PC with a GPU for a last minute thing for my university, and all we had were these shitty super proprietary Dell mini towers. At least the PSU was ATX.
So I destroy the locking mechanism to fit the new PSU in
I remove the ducting and the heatsink (they were connected) because the ducting was getting in the way of installing the GPU (a GTX 980 if you were wondering)
At this point the case is Frankenstein, and it was late, so I stopped giving a shit.
The original thermal paste is crusty as fuck and I don't have any isopropyl alcohol on me, so I apply new Arctic Silver 5 on top of the old thermal paste and just drop the heatsink on top of it. Taped it down with duct tape.

After clearing the case of any tiny metal bits that would cause a short, I plugged it in, installed Wangblows 10 using a SATA laptop hard drive as the installation media, and ran a benchmark. Worked great.
>>
File: 1498334016588.jpg (3MB, 3000x3934px) Image search: [Google]
1498334016588.jpg
3MB, 3000x3934px
the most important thing is not to be confused by the different third party companies re-branding the exact same products.

dont be fooled by companies trying to sell you fancy cooling products, cases, or fans

building a PC is very straightforward. The parts that you need

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
power supply
(this is a functional computer)
-----------------------
harddrive
graphics card (if you want to play games)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.