[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodworking DIY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0177.jpg (2MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0177.jpg
2MB, 1600x1067px
Hey, I want to take up wood working as a hobby and also to use for projects in the future if needed. Currently I know nothing any starting advice or informational resources would be appreciated thanks.
>>
>>1220325

Out of all the other woodworking threads in this board, you killed a thread to create this.

Neck yourself faggot
>>
>>1220325

oh look here's a wood and woodworking thread you stupid fucking nigger YOU DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT THE CATALOG FAGGOT
>>1217297

Here's ANOTHER woodworking thread where people are building shit out of other shit:
>>1219371

TV stands:
>>1216210

Desk building:
>>1219492

Deck building:
>>1217216

Trendy pinterest rings:
>>1210540

Cockmonglatsu identification:
>>1218025

Fucking wooden clocks:
>>1210936

You killed an innocent possibly good thread for this when you could have READ THE CATALOG AND JOINED IN ON WHATEVER INTERESTED YOU, you fucking idiot

Let this thread die in it's shame and go here where the OP is possibly as useless as you:

>>1219414
>>
Just an unexperienced fuck looking for some pointers I'll go somewhere else I guess.
>>
>>1220344

You could have just started reading, fuckwit
>>
>>1220352
Its pretty clear from the turds that have been dropped on multiple threads that you have a good quantity of sand up your vagina. How about you go address whatever the fuck is wrong with your life instead of taking it out on us you zero contribution cunt?
>>
>>1220378
>zero contribution cunt?

>implying
>>
>>1220325

This could be a good woodworking general. I'm planning to buy a planer but I can't decide if I want the fancy type or one that is more plain. My plans are incomplete, but ideally I plan to build my own plane to fly around the plains in my area.

tldr What is the best plain planer for my plans to build a plane to fly over the plains.
>>
>>1220325
>I want to take up wood working
>I know nothing

like all the other people who come here and post the exact same thing, I'm assuming you don't have tools ether, nor do you have any legitimate plans

go to your local library and find a book on the subject....preferably this one if possible: www.amazon.com/Woodwrights-Guide-Working-Wood-Wedge-ebook/dp/B004QMA22O

it's not easy, it's not cheap, it is messy, it's loud, and it takes space....one does not simply just "get into it"
>>
>>1220432
Hand tools aren't really that loud.

Then again, my workshop is at my country house, where I cannot see or hear my neighbours.

I'd also say it's not too difficult to churn out something which is "ok" - provided you have some common sense, general experience with tools, and some geometry and spatial thinking in yer nogging somewhere.

Thus this does not apply to millenials who have never held a hammer.

It is messy, and decent tools aren't cheap, though.
>>
>>1220439
a lot of people who ask are in an apartment and for some reason didn't foresee regular sawing, drilling, and pounding, being a problem

just take the number of desk threads....granted, some people actually think beforehand and have planned out what they want, but most just show up and say "I want to make a desk"

people with zero experience, tools, or materials expect there to be a magic solution to turn out a durable, decent piece of furniture while putting the absolute minimum effort and cost into it
>>
>>1220449
Yeah, I am somewhat perplexed as to the level of incompetence in general tool use I sometimes see in those threads. I mean, some are probably bait, right?

Then again, back in middle school I had a classmate in shop class who had clearly never held a hammer in his life, or a hand saw. Both his parents were in IT, as I later learned.

But yeah, I guess I am talking from my perspective, where my granddad taught me basics of engines, tool use, and everything when I was like 6 - so getting properly into woodworking over the past year hasn't really been that much of a struggle - more just really really fun.

The most frustration comes in acquiring decent material (or rather being unable to).
>>
>>1220453
the knowledge I have has been collecting since I was a kid, usually only just watching, but it sunk in pretty well

years of based shows like new yankee workshop, woodwright shop, and this old house helped too

I don't know what happened to the guy who taught in middle school when I was there, but he was one of the nicest, most patient teachers I ever met...he didn't stand for messing around but not having experience was never an issue in his class

of course in HS, most of the people got shoved in there by counselors who didn't want them dragging down more important classes....morons, lazy people, and burnouts should not be mixed with power tools....
I doubt they even teach it any more; I know the teacher who re-booted the program when I took it, left within a few years....I don't blame him for not wanting to constantly act as a babysitter, have to pay out of pocket for tools, and for the staff to think of the class as a dumping ground
>>
>>1220325
YT channels and other:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSellersWoodwork
https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/home/

Books you can check:
https://archive.org/stream/woodworkingtool00bostgoog#page/n6/mode/2up

https://archive.org/stream/carpentryforbegi00adam#page/n0/mode/2up

https://archive.org/stream/rusticcarpentry00haslgoog#page/n0/mode/2up

For more you can check https://openlibrary.org/ just type "woodworking" or whatever you need.
The older books that are in public domain are there in pdf form for you to read instantly (my previous links for example), for newer ones you need to register and borrow them.

>>1220429
No.5 jack plane.
>>
>>1220325
Took woodshop in highschool.

Get yourself a hobby tier planner, table saw, pipe clamps, tools, supplies, and get on youtube.

Not even being a dick. You can learn all you need and almost anything can be fixed with enough sanding.

Be sure u check the grain when gluing boards and olane the edges flat.

Get cattle syringes. If you ever find a big crack in some furniture pull on it and ahoot some glue in. Clamp the fuck out of it. Maybe hide a few nails or screws in if u can.

Gooder than new anon
>>
>>1220333
Possibly good thread.

Bunkerbro isnt hosting a q & a so fuckoff...
>>
>>1220572
>If you ever find a big crack in some furniture pull on it and ahoot some glue in. Clamp the fuck out of it. Maybe hide a few nails or screws in if u can.

I've been talking with few people that work in antique restoration. Big chunck of their work is fixing pretty much what you described - big mess made out of glue and nails after previous "restorations".

You usually replace cracked elements (whole element or you cut part of it). If you really want to save original part you inject resin, not glue.
>>
I don't live in a apartment though I am a millennial but I know how to use your basic hand tools. Im not stupid or lazy and am a willing learner. I've actually been doing landscaping for the past 3 years consistently under the table just looking for something different that I know I'm interested in to start off. I actually had a wood shop teacher in high school but he "liked" kids weirdest part was he was the P.E. teacher too. Thanks for the advice I'll defiantly check out the books, videos and articles.
>>
>>1220453
>Both his parents were in IT
Shit parent that can't teach their children something are just shit parents. Nothing to do with IT. But I agree with you on the other things. I have a friend who never needed to do anything. He didn't even knew how to do the laundry. Since he's living with my family he learned a lot.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.