[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BIKE WORKSHOP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

What are the essentials for basic maintenance?

>hex keys
>degreaser + lube
>WD40
>cradle for taking off tires
>wrench set

What else?
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>1210708
>What else?

This might get more answers in the gay board for cyclists.

You might need a spoke tightener but then you need to learn how to use it so that the wheel is better when you are done and not ruined.

I don't know about bikes that much, but a thin coating of pic related on screw threads means that the nut will pretty much never seize. Just wipe all the excess off so nobodies dayglow leotard gets messy.
>>
>cassette lock ring removal tool
>chain whip
>cable cutters
>cable stretcher
>chain tool
>length of pipe of the appropriate size to hammer on the crown race to front fork (pvc with some duct tape to reinforce the end works in a pinch). You need to do this whenever you switch to a different front fork on the bike.
>wheel truing stand (this can be diy'ed easily)
>spoke wrench
>tire pump and pressure gauge that will work with both styles of valve
>tube patch kit
>square taper and isis/octolink crank pullers for removing the crankset and servicing the bottom bracket
>bottom bracket wrench

Not totally essential for general repair but a must for doing builds: bearing press. can be diy'ed with a threaded rod, nuts, and some big washers

That's the main stuff. The really annoying part about bike maintenance and assembly is the ridiculous quantity of specialized tools you wind up needing to buy along the way. It's worse than car maintenance. Oh, you have particular brand bike from particular year? You need this OTHER special tool because fuck you.
>>
>>1210739

also pipe cutter if you need to change forks. and some steering tube spacers.
>>
>>1210739
>cable stretcher

This is what we would ask first year electricians to go find for a laugh. Hilarious that it's a real thing
>>
>>1210768

ha! yeah, it's not really for stretching cables as such. It's mostly a third hand type clamp that holds the brake/gear cable under tension while you tighten it to the actual connection on the bike,
>>
>>1210708
pedal wrench and cone wrenches.

cone wrenches are so thin that there's no way substandard material could even work, and it's not uncommon to climb onto your pedal wrench and bounce while trying to bust a pedal loose. so buy good ones!
>>
>>1210708
hrm
BIG adjustable wrench. some nuts are over an inch.
theres also those really thin special wrenches for working on pedals + cones
pedros cable cutter is worth every cent
brass wire brushes are super useful
a bucket of carb cleaner can be helpful as well
nobody has said it but hell sometimes you need a hammer. deadblow can be helpful.
little 4 in hand file
caliper doesnt have to be too accurate, only need tenths of a mm so cheap one will do
fucking gloves, so you dont skin the shit out of your hands
shop towels

thats obviously not an essentials list, its pretty exhaustive. the only other things you could get would be like... every size and variety of freewheel and bottom bracket removal tool. you'll collect those as you go.

the last thing id really say is super useful is a fucking STAND.

you can make one out of some pipe, a flange, a $15 pipe clamp, and a piece of wood. and honestly it works pretty well.
>>
>>1210708
There's an entire board dedicated pretty much exclusively to this subject

>>>/n/
>>
>>1210708
Recomended non tool stuff
>>1186184
Bench grinder
Compresor (a small one is fine for our stuff)

also what stuff you want to do in the shop on the bikes?
>>
>>1211322
Not doing any builds or anything, just sick of paying for tune-ups so I'd like to have everything to keep my bike on the road and in good working order.
>>
File: IMG_8165.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8165.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
>not making your own tools

I thought you were cool, /diy/.
>pic related; my chain whip
>>
>>1211761
The fucks a chainwhip? Why havent I heard of it working in forestry?
>>
>>1210708

A bench to adjust rims. And a spoke twisty tighthy thing
>>
>>1211845
>The fucks a chainwhip? Why havent I heard of it working in forestry?

It looks like the kind of weapon that is illegal in civilized societies.
>>
>>1211845
>>1211873
I can tell you are no /n/igger.

It's for holding the cassette still when spinning the lock ring off.
>>
>>1212061
>It's for holding the cassette still when spinning the lock ring off.

thanks. it's still a brutal looking tool.
>>
>>1211053
>nobody has said it but hell sometimes you need a hammer. deadblow can be helpful.

Yeah I forgot about that. Rubber mallet is very handy for bike stuff.
>>
>>1212070
One other sort of niche thing is a shock pump for mountain bikes that have air based suspension as opposed to spring based. I say niche because shock pumps aren't useful for anything besides their specific intended purpose. They're useless for inflating tires as they are designed to push very small amounts of air at high psi, so trying to fill a tire with one would take ages. Only buy if/when you have a bike that has air suspension.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.