[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal defense sheild?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: polycarbonate-sheet-riot-shields.jpg (116KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
polycarbonate-sheet-riot-shields.jpg
116KB, 1200x900px
OK, /diy/ Let me begin by saying that I am not a sperg or autist. Now that that's out of the way; I'm considering building a bullet resistant Lexan sheild. Most of the designs I've seen show a large sheet of concave Lexan, .250" or less. If I were to build one with a sharp right angle rather than a gentle curve wouldn't the bullets be more likely to deflect rather than penetrate?
>>
File: Bulletproof Cuirass.gif (162KB, 776x560px) Image search: [Google]
Bulletproof Cuirass.gif
162KB, 776x560px
>>1200680
No. Because if the shield were shot more perpendicular to that face, the bullet would transfer more energy into the shield.
You want to minimize the area which exposes a full face of flat steel to that target. that's how deflection works.

You're thinking of tank sloped armor, which actually works by increasing the thickness of that steel relative to the height angle of the projectile. It's a completely different concept.

You're worried about small arms and not tank shells. You will want to go with a concave design.

For that matter, it's worth noting that during the days of gunpowder, most shields shrunk in size or were dropped entirely. Bucklers stayed in vogue for a very long time because of their relative usefulness.

Also, most shields were not bulletproof. But there were some African tribes that had bulletproof Rhino hide shields.
>>
File: Cuirassier.png (2MB, 890x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Cuirassier.png
2MB, 890x1160px
>>1200691
>inb4 some /pol/cuck
This is an example of what you will want. You still see the defined ridge, however it still mainly works by virtue of being round.
I also don't have any good pictures of shields and bucklers. Bear with me.
>>
>>1200680
Okay buddy, the reason why it has a gentle curve is to give it a greater surface area from which to deflect bullets. If you were to go with a sharp right angle (like you're suggesting), any bullet coming from 45 degrees to you will penetrate the shield as it is striking a flat surface rather than a rounded surface. This is the concept behind angled plating on tanks.
>>
>>1200691
Damnit, you beat me when I was typing
>>
File: happytubecat.jpg (342KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
happytubecat.jpg
342KB, 2000x1000px
>>1200691
Ideally I'd like to be able to be in a room with a guy with a Glock 17 and be able to smash him after he drains his clip.
Just like MW2...
>>
>>1200696
Thank you. I was only thinking head on. Are you Military?
>>
>>1200680
If you go with a horizontal ridge as opposed to a vertical one then you'd theoretically be more likely to bounce shots than with a flat plate of equivalent thickness, but we're talking about plastic here. What makes sloped tank armour better than flat armour of the same effective thickness is that it is hard enough to deflect bullets. I don't think any plastic will be able to be that hard without shattering on impact, but I'm just guessing from playing War Thunder.

The shield would also be a stupidly inconvenient shape, and might have a tendency to deflect bullets into your exposed face and feet. Have fun!
>>
File: SwordFightingPlate Grappling.jpg (178KB, 1000x1464px) Image search: [Google]
SwordFightingPlate Grappling.jpg
178KB, 1000x1464px
>>1200699
Your self defense fantasy will never happen in your lifetime. Just take some HEMA classes and accept the fact that any "self defense" or "martial art" you learn is purely for health and sporting purposes.

Just the same, those faggots doing "action shooting" and other "tactical" shit need to realize they will never actually live their home defense male validation fantasy.
>>
>>1200700
I wished I could've been, but I got fucked over at birth. Not allowed to join because I've been "blessed" with complete deafness in my right ear.
>>
>>1200680
In theory, yes, but not necessarily in practice. As people have pointed out, you seem to be assuming tank armor physics, which isn't totally stupid. A projectile trying to pierce a surface at a 45° angle will have to pass through a lot more material. But you are assuming all the bullets will come from head on, and not from other angles. It's also worth pointing out that a major mechanic of tank armor is using it's angles to bounce and deflect shots that hit at a shallow angle, and that's just flat out impossible when you are using plastic.

Additionally, shaping that shit with hard angles will create a significant stress point right down the middle, which can snap in half it it gets hit just right.
>>
>>1200720
Well, now you'll never get sent off to die for Israel unless the chosen people really need millions of men for a meat grinder.
Count yourself lucky. You can live a full life of American poverty and die poor.
>>
>>1200699
I'm the asshole who just shoots the floor and your feet.
>>
>>1200699
yeah, no. most actual humans are intelligent. and if all you have is a shield, im sure the desperate assholes out there wont be affraid to charge at you and shove a gun in your face around your shield
>>
>>1200782
Not if you have a machete.
>>
>>1200680
>concave
the outward facing side is convex.
the inside is concave.
any sharp angle introduces an area where stresses can't propagate and so reduces the area available to absorb the force. also in casting angles causes pretensioned areas in the plastic making it more likely to shatter explosively or crack from impact
>>
>>1200680
>Most of the designs I've seen show a large sheet of concave Lexan, .250" or less.

That's not bullet resistant. You need to do your fucking homework. You don't need to build a shield unless the goal is cosplay. Quarter-inch acrylic, any acrylic, won't stop bullets.

This is what actual ballistic shields, not mere riot shields, look like. The link contains info on their construction. Read it.

https://www.safariland.com/products/body-armor/ballistics/shields-and-blankets/

Anyone who responded thinking a riot shield is a ballistic shield, shut up fuck off and stop posting when you've zerofuckingclue what you are looking at.

OP can go study fiberglass, kevlar and ways to laminate them but I predict he builds nothing because the post shows he didn't care enough to STUDY and came here for spoon feeding.

How about a nice spoon of shit, retard?
>>
>>1200843
Someone missed their nappy-bye time.
>>
>>1200680
I hate to be that guy... But buying a breaching shield would be ideal. They are conposite. Kevlar up front and behind it either a type of ceramic or steal. If you manage to find and buy a ceramic one please do chip off a corner and send it to me for analysis because this would be the same material as used in tank armor and light infantry vehicles... And kill dozed 2.0 will happen... Now with +300 HESH protection!
>>
>>1200680
>Personal defense sheild
but why? Lexan shields are not made to by shot at
also what you want is "Ballistic Shield", ie you mentioned that you want balistic protection
what type of balistic protection you want? and why? do you have a gun? the shield is useles if you dont own a weapon. Also how do you want use it? like lol? du you think a bad guy cares that you have a shield?
>>
>>1200699
>clip
magazine is the word you're looking for, kiddo
>>
>>1200901
>magazine
/k/ is the board you're looking for, kiddo
>>
>>1200699
a silencer (or in your case, earplugs) is more useful for home defense in this situation than full body armor
>>
You should post this thread on >>>/k/ , which caliber can be stopped/deflected is more in their are of expertise
>>
>>1201009
The little windows on the ballistic shields are made of 4 layers of 1/4 to 3/8 acrylic, loose in a steel frame so they "give" when hit.

Even Kevlar/epoxy shields won't stop rifle bullets.
The shields have a warning sticker on the inside saying handgun rounds only. (Level 3A)

I don't think anyone makes a ceramic or AR500 steel shield. Probably couldn't lift it.
>>
>>1201018
A 1" thick armour steel chest+back plate would only weigh 100lbs, and that will stop .50s face on. I don't know why this hasn't caught on.
>>
>>1201180
yay, now instead of a potentially-treatable gunshot wound i have massive blunt force trauma and a dented plate literally strangling me until someone pulls out the jaws of life
this is definitely worth crippling back issues by 30, and surely no one will take advantage of my double-amputee-tier speed to either outrun me or go for an easy coup de grace

heavy armor was dropped because it means paying money to increase mortality
>>
>>1201741
Differentially-hardened armour steel doesn't deform like mild steel; it's not nearly as malleable. Since anti-personnel rounds aren't designed to be anti-material rounds, you could probably get away with over-hardening the armour, making it even less flexible. I wonder if a lining of modern composites could effectively prevent it spalling?

The maximum kinetic energy of a .50 BMG is ~20kJ, which is equivalent to a person going at least 50 miles/hour. While this armour would have little trouble absorbing the impact, the recoil of having absorbed this round would knock you out cold, if not given your internals a little bit of a shake/blend-up. No need for jaws of life, but if you don't have a robo-exoskeleton then you're going to have a bad time.

But that assumes conservation of kinetic energy, which I hear is inferior to conservation of momentum. Doing the momentum calculations, you'd barely be moving any more than 1 mile/hour. In reality the result is going to be somewhere between those, so pick your poison and hope for the best.

Personally I'd go with a 1/2" armour steel tower shield that I'd crouch behind while angling it to deflect the bullets upwards instead of absorbing them. Though having the shield's weight exceeding 100lbs and not being practical for any use outside of outlandish fantasies does shoot a hole in that bucket.
>>
>>1200680

After reading your post, kinda hard not to believe that you're not autistic.

What do you plan to protect yourself from with it?
>>
>>1200722
You sir might be an autist
>>
>>1200843
>>
>>1200859
But he was right you know.
>>
Could I make a bulletproof vest out of these tiles?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301874825898
>>
>>1200680
Get a few layers of plexiglass, size that you like. drill hole in. Use a U bolt on it. make a duct-tape grip.
>>
>>1202638
Sintered carbide is pretty brittle, it would just shatter.
>>
you could layer it with chicken mesh, or better use this mesh type, you can cut a window, but its see through. layer sandwich..
>>
>>1200680
>>1200680
It won't be bulletproof or resistant and it will not deflect anything. Lexan is simply too soft to stop penetration unless its a very low powered bullet.
>>
>>1200722
Hi /pol/
>>
>>1201009
I dont think thats a good idea. He is very ignorant on this subject, theyll probably have him build one with explosive materials
>>
plexiglass shields arent bullet resistant you CoDfaggot dorks, they're intended to deflect shit thrown by protesters, and for forming walls to literally corral people (either with big phalanxy formations, or simply pushing inmates into corners for subduing in unruly prisons)
>>
>>1201180
One 16x24x1 sheet of steel weighs 108.9024

https://www.chapelsteel.com/weight-steel-plate.html
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

There's also a problem with using steel, spalling.
Bullets tend to shatter and splash when they hit metal.
BTW: Truck bed liner won't save you from it, that was just a marketing gimmick to sell steel plates to preppers who couldn't afford or qualify for SAPI plates.
>>
>>1203567
It will. But you need an impractical thickness of it.
AR500 plates are stupid.
>>
>>1202960
A celluloid shield might be interesting.
>>
>>1201180
>>1201751
>>1203561
>>1203567
>>1203572
Have a look at Kryron - lightweight and reduced spalling. Insane price, but hey just give it 30 or 40 years for the price to come down.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-exKkMYt8

>>1203620
>Kryron
I'm calling shenanigans on Kryron.
Watch the videos, they change guns from a Mosin Nagant to shoot a SAPI plate an M4 to shoot his "terminator armor". His plate bulges like puff pastry, and shows penetration cuts, but he wipes the bag and says it's great.
The video has more jump cuts than a Paul Verhoeven film.

Yeah, the metallurgists at US Steel can't make this alloy, but a carpenter with no education can.
"Magic powder"
>>
>>1200680
lexan isn't that bulletproof anon.

Armored windows are often a super hard glass-like material pressed by a border combined with a lexan sheet behind it.

you can make a riot shield that will stop bricks and shit but bullets? no fucking way
>>
>>1200680
>Let me begin by saying that I am not a sperg or autist. Now that that's out of the way

>>1201754
I'm glad someone else caught this. Deciding and declaring like that is a classic autismo argument technique.

t. worked as a support carer for far too long
>>
>>1203841
Here he comes
>>
http://newatlas.com/metal-foam-bullets/42731/
Would this work for real ballistic armor?
>>
>>1203884
No way this is new. Too obvious of a choice for composite armor.
>>
>>1203884
Looks like it would work, but...
Boron is toxic, carcinogenic. A company made boron/aluminum bicycles sevveral years ago, and just stopped making them abruptly, no reasons given. Cost? These bikes were high end but no more than high end carbon fiber. The boron/al bikes were light and stiff and sold well.
Just speculation but something halted production.

Foamed metal matrix seems a good idea, a one foot thick cardboard box full of pea gravel will stop most rifle bullets. It's the air gap and hard rock that breaks up the bullet and it's kinetic energy.
This armor seems to work the same way.
>>
What about those backpacks with bulletproof inserts? Add a proper handle and it will double as a huge-ass shield.
>>
>>1200718
>Nobody in the world lives in a bad neighborhood
>>
>>1200718
Go walk through Detroit after 10pm and let me know how it goes for you.
>literally "it can't happen to ME"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xrsvpTrFc
just get a 1950s-era fridge door.
>>
>>1203884
Metal foams are a really cool area of materials science, and they have tons of potential for use in body or vehicle armor, radiation shielding, space and aerospace structures, and other things that need a structurally strong but lightweight material.

The really cool thing would be to replace current composite foams with a metallic foam. You'd have the laminate+metal foam and get the best of both

>>1204099
As far as I know boron isn't super toxic. I mean, don't eat a pile of the stuff, but as long as you aren't licking down your bike frame to clean it, then you should be set. Also wouldn't the frame be painted or at least coated??
>>
>>1203795
Get a load of that shit, no penetration but broken ribs, internal bleeding, guy's probably going to end up wheezing on the floor.
>>
>>1204099
I don't think metal foam is anything like pea gravel. You shoot gravel and rocks start flying in the air, that's where the kinetic energy goes.
Metal foam is a solid monolithic piece--there's nowhere for the kinetic energy to go.
Instead what I think should happen is that the metal foam acts as crumple zones. The bullets crush the metal foam, expending energy in the process.
>>
How about reactive armour for people?
>>
>>1205802
it would be extremely painful
>>
>>1204618
m8 no one is gonna get into a standoff or gun fight with you, youre just gonna be quietly shanked before you even know whats going on
>>
>>1204618
Don't live in fucking Detroit. Mexiboos walk across desert to escape their shithole but autspergtards can't leave mumsies basement? You deserve to die if you choose to live with niggurz.
>>
Three cubic feet of packed sand in cardboard boxes stopped .50 BMG from my bros rifle when we tested it.

OP can wear a three foot thick sandbag strapon revetment.
>>
>>1206273
3yu
>>
>>1200709
.... Logan?
>>
>>1207002
I can't tell if you're making a culture reference or probing as to whether you know me in real life, but that isn't my name and I don't get the reference.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.