[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 93

File: img.jpg (30KB, 1100x600px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
30KB, 1100x600px
Questions that don't deserve nor need their own thread.
Previous archived: >>1178011

What is the name of these things? I need something similar but cheap and without curves, I need it to fill a corner of a room.
Any material like aluminum, wood or PVC as long as it's cheap and at least 5cm wide.
>>
>>1185652
crown molding
>>
>>1185652
pine/fir will be cheapest by a long shot. Not sure anywhere will sell anything else...
>>
File: imgCache-coil2_500_0.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
imgCache-coil2_500_0.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
where can I go to get HVAC parts without being EPA or HVAC Certified? There are some online retailers, but I still feel like they are gouging me.
>>
>>1185666
>pine/fir will be cheapest by a long shot

Many profiles are available in hard 'foam' board.
It has a slick, white finish suitable for painting.

Much cheaper than wood and even though it's a plastic product it seems to be of reasonably high quality.
>>
>>1185671
>HVAC parts
what parts?
>>
>>1185675
coil, condenser, TXV.

I found places that will sell me a vacuum and gauge manifold for a decent enough price, but no actual parts.
>>
>>1185677
>coil, condenser, TXV.

Those aren't actually controlled.
Most places are shits about it to protect their regular HVAC guys.
Look for a smaller local outlet. They're more interested in the money.

3 ton coil ~$200 - $300
3 ton condenser ~$1000 up
TXV ~$50 - $100
>>
Best way to cut a perfectly straight keyway into a shaft without a milling machine? Shaft is about 4 ft long
>>
>>1185707
>4ft key
Jesus, dude. All the way through, on the inside? I don't think they even make machines like that.
>>
>>1185675
>>1185677
>>1185685
Go into your local AC shop and shoot the shit for a second. I needed a new capicator but they wouldn't sell me one because I wasn't a contractor. I looked over at the guy next to me and asked if he could buy it for me? Pulled out my phone and immediately started showing him pictures, told him what I thought the problem was and asked a few questions. People love feeling knowledgeable and they'll be more inclined to help you out if you make it so they know more than you and you listen to what they have to say. Guy ended up confirming what I thought and saying it's cool he'll get me the part. He put it under his account and I just paid for it. Think it was $20? Was gonna be $50 on eBay. I went to the car and grabbed some cash, think I had $9 on me. I gave it to him and said thanks so much for helping me out. He laughed and said no problem, he'll buy some breakfast tacos with it lol. Just ask questions to a contractor in the store and get them answering if for you, they'll help you out.
>>
>>1185707
Rig up a dremel, or drill press with a fence guide. Move the shaft along the fence and let the drillbit cut it out. Or a tablesaw with a metal cutting blade
>>
>>1185716
>Think it was $20? Was gonna be $50 on eBay.

http://stores.directhvacsupply.com/capacitors-dual-run/
>>
>>1185715
It's for a kart axle. I got a 4 foot 1 inch shaft for free from a friend, just no keyway.

>>1185720
Hmm good idea. I'll see if I can rig something up.
>>
>>1185748
Actually, you know what, I have a handful of 1 Inch collars with setscrews. Maybe I can cut keyways into them, key them to the wheels (or weld them, idk if the wheels are aluminum), and drill through the axle and use bolts through the axle holding the collars. Could the bolts hold up to the power? The engine make about 11hp/20ftlb and has a 14 to 60 tooth gearing (1:4.285) with a centrifugal clutch so less shock than with a torque a veter.
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 768x768px
>>1185753
pic of what i meant
>>
>>1185727
>what the fuuugggg
Dang that's cheap, egay ripping off ererybody. To be fair it was in the middle of a hot Texas summer so I needed it that day. That dude really did me a solid, and that's $20 well spent
>>
>>1185761
Problem might be rotational vibration from the nut and bolt not being the same weight on each end. Spinning slowly won't make a difference but spinning fast might. Never know till you try, worse case just weld it. Cool thing about gocarts is that 90% are custom jobs. They're generally made the same, but everyone uses their own motor they have lying around, rig up some driveshaft like you're working on, etc. No right way to do it, just has to work
>>
>>1185783
Not really too concerned with it being slightly out of balance, the bolts would probably only be like M6 anyway so it's not like it would have pounds of rotating mass from the hardware
>>
File: 1543419_p0.jpg (149KB, 472x602px) Image search: [Google]
1543419_p0.jpg
149KB, 472x602px
>>1185652
sup /diy/pshits
simple question:
anyone know a good machine shop around NYC?
i need to get part of a crankshaft machined down in diameter

i have considered buying lathes and mills in the past, but now it's not an option as i no longer have a garage or basement

>pic unrelated
>>
Looking for an acetylene cutting torch kit that can be worn as a backpack. Any suggestions?
>>
Hi ohm/ i have a problem with my wiring in my aprtment. And was wondering if anyone could help me out.
Two questions

1. What is it called when there is a conductive connection between the lines that run power and earth?

Because this is what i believe has happened. Since my fuse keeps popping out when i try to turn it on.

I think i know that to locate the error you measure resistance between live and earth with a tool that indicates Megaohm.

2. I dont have this tool but will I be able to measure with a normal multimeter?

Any other tips will be much appreciated
>>
I'm just looking for some inspiration or ideas, what's some good you tube channels or websites that can help me out?
>>
>>1185652
>>1185654
Also known as "Cornice" depending on the locale
>>
>>1185868
1. A short
2. Yes. Just use the highest resistance (ohms) scale.
>>
>>1185887
pintrist
>>
What can I graft onto a (red I think) maple tree? I would like to avoid cutting down this little tree, but I don't want to let it grow to its full size as a maple where it is either.
>>
Will the guy having loud phone calls outside my window go inside if I blast an annoying tone sweep, maybe around 8475.70 Hz?
>>
Is it feasible to jam a bluetooth earpiece or cellphone less than 20 feet away without getting attention from the FCC?
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
I have an old silicone phone case with a print on the front. It's a clear silicone phone case with an image printed on the outside.

Lately the print has been flaking off and it looks terrible. What's a good technique for removing the rest of the print so I'm just left with a plain clear silicone phone case?
>>
>>1186129
The FCC isn't the police, it's more of a manufacturing standards agency. The actual local police would care about that, but actually they wouldn't, because they don't have the capabilities or even desire to check for that kind of thing.
>>
>>1186160
>implying there's not FCC vans patrolling everywhere
>>
File: 20170531_180558.jpg (4MB, 2238x2983px) Image search: [Google]
20170531_180558.jpg
4MB, 2238x2983px
Hey guys I have a few rack mounted rectifiers and dc coverters....anything I can do with these or should I strips for useful parts? Try to sell em whole?
>>
File: sewmacs.jpg (64KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
sewmacs.jpg
64KB, 600x450px
>>1185652
Local thrift shop type place has these sewing machines for $20, are any of them in particular worth copping as an impulse buy for someone without a sewing machine?
>>
File: IMG_20160822_234508220_HDR-L.jpg (54KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160822_234508220_HDR-L.jpg
54KB, 338x600px
>>1186448
i'd buy a cheap refurb'd machine from a reputable shop, especially if it's your first one.
Something you can get parts for, or a shop that can work on it if you knock the timing off.

Spent about $150 on mine. One of the better investments i've made - it's fixed a lot of my gear with it.

.gg/Q6jzD7V
>>
>>1186448
Makes and models help more than tiny, blurry pictures. I can research the former, I can only point and laugh at the latter. What the hell kind of camera takes pictures that are 600x450? Did you take the picture with the front facing camera or something? A digital camera from 1998?

That said, the one on the blue table in the front has a Singer color scheme from the 1950s and 1960s. The hard top cover also looks like a Singer design. They were rock solid machines in that era. Google the model number. I can tell you right off it is not one of their top tier machines but basically, anything Singer made in that era is bound to be at least decent. It could be a knock-off, though. I can't tell for sure BECAUSE THE FUCKING PICTURE IS SO FUCKING SMALL.

All the white/cream machines look like 70's-80's models. Basically plastic trash from the worst period to buy machines from. The little seafoam green model in the middle looks like a Japanese import from the 60's or early 70's. They weren't bad machines but they weren't great either. Hard to tell, though.

If the front machine is a Singer and it works well (search for a video on YouTube on how to test a machine before buying) I would buy it. If it is a knock-off I would go with the green guy. Honestly, though, you can get better stuff off of Craig's List or from an estate sale. Or wait for something better to show up. Hell, I paid $20 for a Singer 503 at a thrift store and it came in a fucking 'Copenhagen' sewing cabinet. The picture is pretty close, from google.
>>
>>1186460
How about you fuck off with your discord spam shitlord?
>>
File: 14963419653601583766375.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
14963419653601583766375.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Should i worry about this beam?
>>
>>1186655
Is the wood brittle and rotted anywhere or just discolored? What does the base look like? What is it holding up and how heavy is it? How many other beams are supporting the same weight? What is their condition?
>>
>>1186662
Phone flipped the pic, its supposed show a beam whicj goea straight up. Seems dry and not really rotten but there are these cracks.
>>
How can I avoid roller marks when painting a single panel door? It'll be vertical and I'm using oil paint and a foam roller if it matters.
>>
>>1186700
Cracks are fine unless they are getting worse. If you don't see any changes a it is fine.

>>1186730
Thin the paint and do multiple coats.
>>
has anyone ever used PVC door Jambs? are they good? I have moisture damage on the bottom of my outside back door jamb. So i'm thinking of replacing it with PVC trim boards. As opposed to buying a storm door. thrid option would be to just cut the wood that is damaged and replace/repaint, then install a gutter or water diverter over door to prevent future moisture damage.
>>
>>1186796

I haven't tried PVC. I recently made a set from pressure treated 2 x 6 yellow pine.

I set the three boards on edge and clamped them together so they would act as support for each other while being cut.

My circular saw set to full depth was just enough to cut far enough to allow for the groove for weather stripping when the face was cut away.

I made the deep cuts in all three boards using the saw guide to keep it at 3/8" from the edge.

I made the second cuts with the depth set at 3/8" and the guide set at 2"

It worked out great and I don't expect to have to replace them.
>>
File: cutting jambs from 2 x 6.jpg (45KB, 504x612px) Image search: [Google]
cutting jambs from 2 x 6.jpg
45KB, 504x612px
>>1186805
>it at 3/8" from the edge

It may have been closer to 1/2" - It was a couple of weeks ago and I'm old and forgetful.
>>
>>1186783
Yeah thats the issue, i cant really keep a look at it, my plan is to put sheets on it
>>
>>1185652
Would adding another window (on the inside), handle and all, be a cost effective way of soundproofing a window?
>>
File: IMG_3087.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3087.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I got a bunch of pvc and Cpvc fittings mostly in 1.5 inch and 1 inch with some other sizes mixed in for free from a commercial building that put them out front with a "free" sign on them. I grabbed what I could since I have the space to store them till I want to screw around with them. My question is if I'm using them for frames or irrigation drains for a garden or other non critical low pressure applications then can I mix the cpvc and pvc? Or will they not glue to each other..
>>
File: IMG_3088.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3088.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>1187766
Yay list of Craig!
>>
>>1187767
Also any suggestions for fun stuff to make? Was thinking of doing an outdoor chairframe and covering it in canvas for the seat and back.. or possibly a hammock holder... the majority of the fittings are schedule 80 so I don't thing strength is an issue
>>
>>1185859
Get a small torch set in a holder... don't put it in a backpack.. if you trip and bash the top of either tank your in for a bad time... what do you need it for? If weight is an issue and you can deal with less heat then they make a turbo torch which uses oxygen in the normal air and only needs an acetylene tank... but won't get as hot as a true oxyacetylene torch set...
>>
>>1187767
did you take the sign too?
>>
>>1187778
Couldn't fit all the pipe. They had a bunch of electrical conduit style pipe and some blue colored thin pipe I didn't recognize along with a bunch of threaded fittings.. I just grabbed as much of the same size in 1.5 and 1 with a few other weird sized ones and any reducer fittings I could find along with a few threaded one way valves and the threaded to straight adapters for them.. if I had a truck I'd have just taken the lot but I was in a Kia Soul..
>>
>>1187784
So no I left the sign since there was still stuff left.
>>
I put 2 layers of gloss topcoat (thick) on a table face. After ~48 hours of drying some parts are solid. but if i put ~5kg of weight on some areas, the weight will cut into the topcoats.
I planned to give it until next friday to cure/harden, but other than putting weight on the table and potentially damaging it. I have not way of actually determining if its fully dry.
How long should it sit for?
The can's instructions said 6 between coats and 24 hours to fully dry. Those seem to be incorrect for my situation though.
>>
>>1185784
You don't need to cut the key all along the shaft, rigging an angle drinker with a cutting wheel should do the trick. Finish the job with a file size close to the key
>>
>>1187766
Pvc cement should be fine for garden drainage. Sch80 seems like overkill for a drain but if it's free you can find a way. In my experience with irrigating lawns, orchards, and gardens, trying to make it work with what you have usually makes for a bigger headache. A100ft roll of 1"-1.5" poly pipe is under $100, the threaded fittings work with the PVC fittings. The poly bends pretty well, even better with a torch. It doesn't give a fuck about freezing water or truck/tractors/anything running over it. The fittings with get smashed before the pipe. Even then, a box cutter and wire cutters or end nips is enough to repair it.

Just stuff to consider.
>>
Is there any easy way to clean caster wheels on office chairs? I've been flipping them then scrubbing with soap and water, but it's time consuming and the wheels pick up dirt again quick.
>>
>>1187990
you clean the floor first
>>
File: IMG_20170604_073241.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_073241.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Wood ID?
>>
>>1185716
That's messed up. I pulled my capacitor and went to the HVAC warehouse and they swapped me out a good in in 5 minutes and $15.

God I'm so glad I didn't call a repair guy.
>>
>>1188010
I'm torn between poplar and maple.
>>
File: IMG_0879.png (20KB, 283x213px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0879.png
20KB, 283x213px
This or eye level middle of the tv?
>>
>>1188043
I'd prefer 2/3.

Go to a movie theater and see what feels right?
>>
>>1188061
>Go to a movie theater

>live in america
>going to a live shooting range
any other ways?
>>
File: h2o2.gif (5KB, 210x180px) Image search: [Google]
h2o2.gif
5KB, 210x180px
I've seen some people claiming to have concentrated H2O2 by boiling the water away (since H202 boils at 150ºC and H20 boils at 100ºC), however it takes many hours and lots of energy to boil water.
Can I concentrate H2O2 from a 3% solution by just letting it sit on a plastic pan while the H20 evaporates for some days?

I only want to concentrate it a bit to make PCB etching faster.
>>
>>1188075
kek

then I'd go with 2/3 - follows your peripheral vision a little more
>>
>>1188010
Oak.
>>
File: wood.jpg (68KB, 500x661px) Image search: [Google]
wood.jpg
68KB, 500x661px
>>1188010
>>
>>1188097
> concentrated H2O2 by boiling the water away
While that might work, it's not a good way to go. H2O2 will probably start decomposing on the pan, beside you don't want boiling hot peroxide splashing around.

But what you can reliably do is to freeze the water out.
Just put diluted H2O2 in a freezer, check periodically and once enough ice forms (ice is pure H2O), take the ice out.

Fun fact: that is how nazis were producing 80% concentrated H2O2 for rocket science (V2 rockets).
>>
>>1188208
>H2O2 will probably start decomposing on the pan, beside you don't want boiling hot peroxide splashing around.
That's why I thought about letting it sit in a plastic tray and let the water evaporate.
>But what you can reliably do is to freeze the water out.
Cool, thanks, I'll probably use that method. I'll try not to concentrate it above 30% to avoid burns.
If I have 250g of 3% solution I'll have to remove 225 grams of ice to have a 30% concentration, well, at 25g per 250g bottles it's going to take a lot of bottles to get a decent amount. Anyway, thanks!
>>
File: 20170605_101625~01~01.jpg (185KB, 1280x1042px) Image search: [Google]
20170605_101625~01~01.jpg
185KB, 1280x1042px
can anyone identify what kind of adapter is this? trying to replace the old water filter, but seems like the faucet head doesnt match with it.
>>
File: ef08cd12_Circuit.png (14KB, 802x285px) Image search: [Google]
ef08cd12_Circuit.png
14KB, 802x285px
Simple as fug question, but I am totally retarded when it comes to electrical relays and shit. What sort of relay is used for this? And is it as simple as soldering the appropriate wires to how the diagram says?

It's meant for just one bicolor power LED (unlike the 5 listed in the diagram), when the PC is off it's one color and when it's turned on it's meant to switch colors. In this case it'd be red for standby and green when on.
>>
>>1188421
Cool idea. The relay type doesn't really matter. You need a relay that has:

- A 12v coil

- Can switch the amount of current that the LEDs draw. Your requirements are low so it wont be hard

- Has screw terminals so you can easily attach wires to it. Has some way to mount it.
>>
>>1188421
Also, the relay should be SPST NC.
SPST = single pole single throw (it has one switch inside of it that only connects two wires)
NC = normally closed (the switch is in the closed position when the coil is not energized)

SPDT, DPDT, and DPST NC will also work.
>>
>>1188421
Also, your diagram doesn't show any resistors connected to the LEDs to limit the current to them. Some LEDs and LED strips are meant for the direct application of 12v, but if you are using bare leds you will need to add some resistors.
>>
I suck at measuring length. How do I get better? Any tips for not fucking up?
>>
File: 20170605_002345.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170605_002345.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
I bought a chink OTF switchblade. The blade and the lock are great, but the metallurgy on the frame is shit, specifically on the middle portion which is supposed to keep the blade from moving left to right. When you slash at something from the side, the spacers buckle out and causes the blade to lean to one side.
How do I reinforce this so it doesn't fucking bend? It's a good switchblade besides this one little thing fucking the whole thing up. I tried metal-reinforced epoxy resin, and that didn't work.
What can I try, or is it fucked?
pic related
>>
Shave down ear-buds to fit better and be safe? pic related
>>
how do i cut straight
>>
File: dim_pcb.jpg (36KB, 553x348px) Image search: [Google]
dim_pcb.jpg
36KB, 553x348px
>>1185652
pic rel
i mean the ready-to-print in the laser printer image not the circuit or schematics

what is the most common name(s) of those things??
i guess "pcb art" "pcb silkscreen" "gerbers pdf"??
>>
>>1188513
"PCB artwork" is arguably the most correct term.

"Gerbers" refers specifically to a vector format that most fab houses want.

"Silkscreen" refers the printed text and graphics put on after the PCB is otherwise finished. The (almost always) white text and graphics that identify components is the silkscreen layer.
>>
im building a better dock for my nintendo switch, im thinking of putting in a small fan running off the usb 5v for power and can easily use a pressure switch so it doesnt stay on when not docked.

i just want to know if having a higher volume of air put through the back will affect its internal fan at all?
>>
> want to replace UPS cooling fan with quieter one
> no service manual afaik
> no experience with electronics besides building lego gayming PCs
> have a silent 80mm fan already

Any info on how I can do this without becoming an hero? Model is Eaton 5E 2000VA.
>>
>>1188554
It can be done safely, but not by someone who needs to ask how.
>>
>>1188559
From what I can tell I would need to discharge it let it sit until the capacitors are more or less discharged, open it up, remove the battery cut and splice fan leads while avoiding capcitors. Is this a decent picture or am I going to get myself killed? Will take it to an expert if that's really necessary.
>>
>>1188563
I'm no expert, but I'd expect it to be safe after a day unpowered. I'd still short the capacitors before touching anything.
>>
The One Ring after being taken out of the fireplace, as described in the first book:
>As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form letters of a flowing script. They shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
Why has nobody made a real life replica of something similar yet? Very thin letters that glow, that is. It's 2017, I'm sure the technology must exist by now.
Pic related is the official movie replica (1250$, solid gold) and the letters aren't even as thin as you'd imagine.
>>
>>1188512
CNC
>>
>>1188568
Very thin letters that glow only after heating?

Well, you'd need to embed these letters in gold, which is pretty malleable, so you'd need some kind of crystalline structure.

Now, you can get crystals that glow after heating - thermoluminescence, but they only do it ONCE ... it's trapped energy coming to the surface.

But you just want it to glow, you don't give a shit about the heating.

I'd suggest a pure beta emitter like Ni-63 (half-life of 100 years) under a phosphor. Phosphors aren't typically damaged by beta emission like they are from alpha emissions (radium being the classic example). Then the light should travel through the embedded crystal letters.

Would dim appreciably after a hundred years.
>>
How to drink any liquid without throwing up?
>>
File: IMG_1641.jpg (131KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1641.jpg
131KB, 750x1334px
I'm trying to make a thing and need an idea for what to do mechanically. So I have a hollow cylinder about 2-2.5 inches inner diameter. Above it I need to attach 4 1 lbs slats of plastic. I need these slats to raise and lower at their furthest point kind of like in my shitty attached pic. I was thinking of attaching wire to their end points and having a servo take the other end, feed into the cylinder, then pull down or let go to cause them to raise and lower. Is this the best course of action or is there better ways to get these to raise and lower?
>>
There's a fuckload of abandoned shopping carts near where I live and people put them by their apartments' dumpsters. Is it safe to rip the casters, etc off these or will I get hit up for stealing or something?
>>
I am trying to do sound deadening for a camper trailer I am building. There is a shit ton of bad information out there, but I am going to put some butyl based tiles on the roof since it is sheet metal (absorb some vibrations), then some sort of foam, then some mass loaded vinyl.

Any suggestions on a cheap decoupler to use around the MLV? I am wondering if foam rolls of cheap shit (or even bubble wrap or anything else easily compressible) will work just fine. I don't want to spend the cash on the "acoustic" foam.

The ceiling has metal U-channel ribs that I will fill with expandable foam, and then I am doing wood panels for walls as the ceiling. Should I also decouple that layer, I could do rubber between the channel and wood, and plastic grommets if self tappers are too rigid?

I also plan on doing normal insulation, either nonflammable rockwool batting, or preferably r-tech insulfoam sheets, or similar if there is a non-flammable similar sheeting. I think the insulation may have enough give to decouple too right?
>>
>>1188710
Or should I just rockwool the whole thing and say screw the MLV?

The walls are 1 1/2" thick, might have to make a jig to cut some sheets in half if so, thinnest i can find is 3"
>>
Is there a comprehensive book for woodworking? Something that takes you from basically only knowing that wood exists, and goes through everything you'd need to know to understand what tools/techniques to use, when, and why?
>>
>>1185671
>>1185675
>>1185685
Long shot, but here it goes.

Any HVAC guys in Utah who can order my parts for a self install?

I'll give you a picture of Mister Grant for your troubles
>>
I am trying to find a male to female elbow connector.

6mm to 6mm would be best, but all I can find is pipe fitting ends, not tapped ends.

Any help?

Pic is similar to what I want, except I need to be able to screw a 6mm fitting into the open end, not a pneumatic fitting.
>>
>>1188916
In USA and pipe fittings what you describe is called a 'street ell"
>>
File: STREET-ELBOW-SWAGELOK.jpg (37KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
STREET-ELBOW-SWAGELOK.jpg
37KB, 400x400px
>>1188916
https://www.indoteknika.com/general-product/swagelok/swagelok-street-elbow-ss-4-se/
>>
>>1188916

What you want is an N connector to SMA. Avoid BNC and F connectors, they are not engineered to be water tight.
>>
I want to start an BPQ Packet Radio node. I was thinking to install LinBPQ on an RaspberryPi and interface it with my Pakratt TNC.
Does LinBPQ require AX.25 to be enabled in the Linux kernel?
>>
>>1188010
Tree wood
>>
File: IMG_8682.jpg (426KB, 2446x1333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8682.jpg
426KB, 2446x1333px
How to get this shitty aluminum storm window framing to not fall apart every second?
>>
File: spin_prod_243330501.jpg (86KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_243330501.jpg
86KB, 2000x2000px
I decided to clean out my electric weed eater with the garden hose like you would a gasoline tool, before realizing I'm a fucking idiot and there isn't really a seal between the internal components and the wire spinner.

How fucked am I, and what should I do?
>>
>>1189533
>what should I do?
put it in a warm, dry area for a few days

my son dropped an angle-grinder in the pool
i put it in a nook under the hood of my van for a few days
the heat dried it out and it works fine now
>>
File: shelf.jpg (433KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shelf.jpg
433KB, 1920x1080px
Installed some new shelves and the drywall anchors got me thinking... I used 46lbs rated ones, three are used to attach the bracket to the drywall. Does the anchor and sheering weight increase if you have multiple anchors? I.e., I could safely have 100lbs on the shelf?

I won't ever have that much but just wanted to know if such a factor applies to drywall anchors.
>>
>>1189566
They increase the limit but it depends on geometry and it will not be perfectly linear. Shocks or leveraged loads (pulling on the edge of the shelf, having something heavy there for a long time) can still make things fail, it's just that you will finally hit that point and pop-pop-pop them all out in a line, maybe along a new split in the drywall. If trying to hang something heavier than a picture or an accent shelf I would try to secure it into studs
>>
>>1189572
Interesting, thanks for the input. House is from the 50's and the drywall is THICC. More than 1/2 inch.
>>
>>1189533
mod it run on a single cylinder engine
>>
>>1188585
Youre drinking through the wrong hole
>>
File: 20170607_165933.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170607_165933.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
I've got an old house, and am in the process of replacing the power outlets to one's that have a more modern style.

On the older dual outlet, one mains cable feeds each outlet, on the newer outlet the back only has connection for one - should I connect the two positives into the one slot, and so on for negative and earth?

Cheers
>>
>>1189728
Not sure why there are two wires for each neutral, hot and ground and wired together, maybe it was to provide enough current for both outlets without using a lower gauge. I would join the wires together as you said, otherwise you'll end up with 1/2 the current rating than before.
>>
>>1185652
>car battery

>new battery, less than a year old
>car ran fine, turned over first try for the lest ever
>go out last night and get home with no problems at all
>go to start get something out of car
>doors wont even lock
>nothign lights up
>test batter and get a reading in the mv range
>disconnect batter and test again
>1.4xx volts and slowly climbing

This is a battery for a 3.8L v6, 1000 crank amps, 800 cca. What in fucks name can drain it from cranking-will-start-the-car voltage to lights-dont-even-work voltage in about 12 hours?

I just tested it agian, its up to three volts on its own
>>
>>1189747
maybe because it's feeding another socket? jesus you are a bunch of thick cunts in here.
i guess in burgerland because of the shitty voltage you guys have to have a limit of one outlet per breaker because of the current draw?
>>
>>1189728
Find out if they're both always live or not, a lot of time the top outlet plugs in a room will be wired to always have power, while the bottom outlet plugs will be wired so that a wall switch turns them on or off.. the idea is you can plug in lamps to the bottom plug and use the wall switch to turn all the lights in a room off at once..
>>
>>1189990

This seems incorrect to me, then again I like to live dangerous
>bandsaw
>miter saw
>two active milwaukee chargers
>stationary sander

All actively being run on multiple outlets tied to same circuit. Each room in my house has its own circuit with many outlets with the exception of the kitchen for the range (240) and microwave (needs its own). Because whoever built my house is a dick I also have two outlets in the front room, my fridge (kitchen), and two outlets in my garage on one circuit.

Electrician will be here in two weeks to redo the entire house in prep for building a second story. Will need to do all of the plumbing too.
>>
>>1189953
It's likely a light was left on. It happens to the best of us. Best replace it before winter.
>>
>>1188568
If you ditch the concept of them glowing only when exposed to heat, you could totally just use glow in the dark paint.
>>
File: the time for research is over.jpg (15KB, 282x332px) Image search: [Google]
the time for research is over.jpg
15KB, 282x332px
I have a roommate, so naturally, all my teflon pans always get fucking ruined.

Is it possible to "season" a teflon pan that's been scratched up to restore some of its non-stick quality. I'm tired of breaking eggs and pancakes and shit because apparently no one tells their kids to not fucking use metal on teflon anymore
>>
>>1190247
No
Just buy cast iron and be done with it. Itll be cheaper in the long run
>>
>>1190247
Just put your teflon pans in one cabinet and then lock it. Tell them you're "childproofing" it because scratched PTFE is toxic so the kids need to use something else.

And on the end of your roommate being a parent, would be a good opportunity for them to learn to bake or use something not non-stick as well for evolution into /diy/.

Unless I read that wrong and your roommate is just a manchild, in which case tell him that scratching teflon with metal utensils will give him cancer and if you catch him doing it you'll make him buy you new pans and not let him use them til he replaces them. Then show him the cost of nonstick cookware in like a Bed Bath & Beyond catalog or something to spook the price into him.
>>
>>1190247
My roommates did the same thing. I made them get their own pans.
>>
>>1190289
Roommate isn't a parent. They are adult whose parents didn't teach them not to use metal spatulas with teflon. Is english not your first language?
>>
>>1190247
Make the metal spatulas slightly more difficult to reach than the plastic, silicone, and wood?

What about ceramic nonstick?
>>
>>1190247
>having metal spatulas
haven't you heard of silicone?
>>
>>1190375
English is my first language but I communicate with a lot of people for whom it is not on a daily basis. Sometimes my brain reads things fucky because of it.

>>1190412
>What about ceramic nonstick?
You still need non-metal as a daily driver for ceramic, it's just more forgiving if you have to use metal occasionally as long as you do so gently. Also it's less nonstick than teflon and teflon pans are generally lighter due to being mostly aluminum.

>>1190376
>not using a metal spatula for your stainless steel, cast iron, and baking pans
>>
>>1190247
PSA: Do not cook with teflon if you have any birds in the house. The fumes can instantly kill them.

Also avoid cleaning with amonia if you have any birds or reptiles. They don't process it efficiently like mammals do. For cleaning glass, dilute vinegar with a drop of dish soap works well enough.
>>
File: 20110305120000000962444.jpg (137KB, 1364x1124px) Image search: [Google]
20110305120000000962444.jpg
137KB, 1364x1124px
I have a water dispenser with tap like pic related.
Recently the water flow started to become very weak, I suspecting it's because of all the salts that affect the cork mechanism.
Is there any way to clean it? Our do I have to take the whole thing apart and replace the tap?
>>
File: 20170603_141559.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_141559.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Hey guys. Anyone seen this before, know what it is or has been used as? Probably soething in the kitchen.
>>
File: 20170603_141630.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_141630.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1190870
When i turn the handle the disk on the end starts turning c/clockwise. Nothing else.
>>
>>1190468
Perhaps it's something akin to limescale and a strong acid would eat it away?
>>
>>1185652
What is a quick and easy way to add shelves to my walls? I want to put shelves up to hold small nick-knacks all along my wall space..
>>
>>1190891
Pick up some simple shelf hardware at any home improvement place. The style with the vertically-mounting bracket paired with the shelf supports that key in is a foolproof and usually cheap. You can buy pre-made shelf boards, usually melamine covered ply on the same shelf, already the proper depths to match brackets. You can find better wood but surprisingly the price on pre-made is usually better.

This way you will have something reliable and rated. Get some nice long screws to mount the verticals on studs in your wall, it will be nearly indestructible.
>>
File: 940385335093657857_1.jpg (33KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
940385335093657857_1.jpg
33KB, 1000x667px
>>1190874
Reminds me of a hand drill. Did they have orbital sander a pre electricity?
>>
File: 20170603_141612.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_141612.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1190909
Thnx
It looks a bit like this. But there is only the part on the pic. The disc on the end is fixed and cant be removed. I cant fix anything to the tip either.
There doesnt look like there are any missing parts. And it looks very good handleded and in a good condition, so i doubt it is a tool like that
>>
>>1190927
what does it say on the disc?
>>
>>1190933
Venivici

And patend and a number i cant make out.

Venivici doesnt tell give me much results in google either
>>
File: 130117.jpg (42KB, 291x428px) Image search: [Google]
130117.jpg
42KB, 291x428px
>>1190933
Found it. An old medical tool that helped for chestaces. Headaches via vibration from the svivel. Haha cool
>>
/vr/ here. I'm currently at the process of looking new place to live, and moving away from here means I can't loan my landlord's tools anymore. I'm at the process of getting the basics for smaller stuff(mostly deal with consoles, but I do occasional smaller wood stuff, latest of which is some knife handles). I haven't gotten proper sander or saw yet, I'm just wondering if I could get away with using oscillating tool(since most of my DIY projects tend to be smaller stuff anyway, think like arcade stick instead of building a whole cab) combined possibly with handsaw + jig for rougher cuts?
>>
>>1191182
So is basically an old timey vibrator? The "Hitachi magic wand" of the early 20th century?
>>
>>1191229
Yes claimed to cure anything and everything. Thanks to those who looked into this.
>>
>>1191205
Ive come a long way with a basic jigsaw. A rought teethed blade for bigger stuff and a fineblade for your smaller stuff.
I think one can get more out of an jigs. Than an oscillating tool If one had to choose. Find one with a bit power and youll be able to split boards.
>>
I have a 1 inch metal pipe I have running across the top of 2 bookshelves. I use it to do pullups but since it rotates I use a mixed grip which is shitty. I just got a pair of inversion gravity boots in the mail and i am worried about inverting on this bar since it is not secure. How would I go about securing this bar? I have nails in the top of the bookshelf right now so it doesn't slide around but it still rotates.
>>
I pay about 6.5x more per kWh of electricity than I do kWh of mains gas (as in, butane/propane mix, not gasoline).

Since even a middling gas generator has an efficiency of 18%, it looks like it would be cheaper to generate my own power than buy it from the national grid. What am I missing here?
>>
>>1185652
I'm going to be carving a length of box elder, approximately 3 foot long. One end was dead and has termites. How do I kill the termites without ruining the wood? Also, would I have better results carving the wood while it's still "wet" or should I let it bake in the sun and dry it out before I start carving?
>>
>>1191357
>How do I kill the termites without ruining the wood?

Freeze it for at least 14 days.
>>
I'm taking care of some rust on the inside bottom of my car's doors, the last 1in of the door that touches the seal. Can I achieve a favorable result with a spray can with the correct paint code and proper surface prep? I have a gravity fed spray gun but I don't want the hassle of dragging that out for a couple of passes and spray cans are pretty cheap in my color.
>>
If I wanted to make a room in my house for listening to music loudly, and wanted to silence it to the rest of the house as best as I could. Would I put sound proofing in the room or like in the walls? How do I isolate the room from the house without fucking the audio quality?
>>
>>1191340
Drill a hole all the way through the pipe at both ends where it is over the bookcase. Make the hole just large enough for the nail to slide through. Put the nails in the holes and place it on the bookshelf. Nail that bitch into the top of the bookshelf and hope she holds.

Good luck
>>
I want to remove the tips of screws that are sticking through some wood and onto the inside of a chicken coop.

What tool would be good for this? Sawzall? Some sort of snips? Sander? There's only like 1/4 or an 1/8th of an inch sticking out.
>>
I built a Chinese guitar kit recently, and the polyurethane that I used on the body (minwax in the spray can) keeps rubbing off in areas where the guitar makes contact with the strap. What would be the best affordable polyurethane that will actually hold up to redo the finish in?
>>
>>1191376
Headphones.
>>
>>1191375
As long as you do the prep right, and get rid of all the rust, hit it up with some primer, and then apply the paint, I think you will be fine.
>>
>>1191438
Sawzall with a metal cutting blade 32 teeth per inch or more.
>>
>>1191438
Bolt cutters, if you can get the blades right up against the screw tips. That is not possible with all types of cutters. Also, if there are a ton of them then the sawzall might be less work.
>>
>>1188706
Just push em down the ravine first bubbles
>>
File: 1451788176663.jpg (36KB, 450x442px) Image search: [Google]
1451788176663.jpg
36KB, 450x442px
I have a radio with a broken-off antenna that I want to fix. What is the best way to do this? Would something like a metal hanger do the trick, or do I want something different?

It's a modern-ish radio, so it's mostly plastic. I'm not trying to rebuild some antique here, just looking to replace a missing piece.
>>
>>1191508
I am no electrician. But, any metal rod will work as long as the connection from the antenna to the next piece has continuity. A friend of mine bent the antenna on his truck, so he unscrewed it and was able to replace it with a metal arrow shaft because the threads were the same. Coat hanger will work as long as you have a good enough connection. Thrift stores may have some old ass radios for dirt cheap if you want an actual antenna.
>>
Hey /diy/ I recently hit a deer while riding my motorcycle. What is a good way to clean the blood and poo off of my leathers?
>>
>>1191826
>a good way to clean the blood and poo off of my leathers?
>poo off my leathers
turn the pants inside so you can scrape most of it off
use a stiff brush to get as much of the remainder as you can
use saddle soap to get it clean (follow instructions on saddle soap container)
>>
>>1191834
not mine, the deer's
>>
Hey /diy/ I'm wanting to build a pochade box with a lid that can rotate 360 degrees when open. I'd also like to use a tension hinge so the lid can stay in position.

Does anyone know of a hinge that can do this? my attempts at finding one have been unsuccessful. This is the closest I've been able to find.

http://reell.com/products/position-hinges/rt-series
>>
>>1185652

>get a mercury force 25 horse outboard boat motor for free
>mouse infestation destroyed wiring/fuel line/vacuum tubes
>wiring/gas line was easy
>only vacuum tubing I can find is half the wall thickness of the old tubing

I am worried about the tubes collapsing, do boat motors create an ungodly amount of suction or am I worrying over nothing? I have a fishing trip coming up in three days and if I don't get this running by then I have to use my shity trolling motor to get around a 2000 acre lake. I don't have time to order the proper parts. Am I worrying over nothing? Any ideas on something I can find easily that's a little more robust than the shity hosing the autoparts store has?

Not a whole lot of options for 3/32 tubing that I'm aware of.
>>
>>1191959
Dont take a motor you don't know works well out on the lake. If you only have 3 days to fix and can't find the right parts then you don't need to take it out...
>>
>>1191376
You really can't do more than muffle it a bit. If you can't afford your own place, you definitely can't afford that level of soundproofing. Get headphones.
>>
>>1191438
dremel :^)
>>
>>1189953
>>
File: bikepower.jpg (67KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
bikepower.jpg
67KB, 499x374px
I'd like to do a little BitCoin/Altcoin mining, but elextricity is expensive where I live (about $0.20/killowatt) I was thinking about killing two birds with one stone and getting some exercise while generating power. I found this things Pedal-a-Watt but I think that only 600 watts of power is really slim.

Is there any other larger method of storing the energy I would generate over a few hours of biking? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>1191978

As I said I have a trolling motor that I have used exclusively in the past, so I'm not worried about the motor shitting out on me to much, I am more concerned with doing permanent damage to the motor.
>>
>>1191959
>that's a little more robust than the shity hosing the autoparts store has?

A vacuum in 'normal' space at sea level can only be ~30" of mercury.
An outboard engine cannot create more vacuum than auto engines create.

Pressure can be created to ungodly amounts.
An engine vacuum can only go to -14.7psi
>>
I cleaned a fan because it was dusty as fuck, after 30 minutes or so it started squeaking a lot.

What could it be? Also you can notice how speeds change.

Im going to disassemble it tomorrow.
>>
>>1191993
You can't sustain much more than 100 watts output with high intensity cardio, and the buttcoin ship has sailed. Your competition isn't paying for their energy. Exercise doing something you enjoy and focus your efforts on getting skilled/educated if you want to increase your income long term.
>>
>>1191993
>600 watts
Keep dreaming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_power#Available_power

Food is some of the most expensive energy you can buy.
>>
>>1192145
You've probably degreased it. Give the bearings a good shot of PTFE or, if you have it, molly grease.
>>
What's the fewest components I can use to flash up to 9 LEDs on and off in sequence, the rate at which this happens controlled by a POT.

References appreciated
>>
>>1185652
anybody got the .jpg of the guy who wanted to reshape his bones?
>>
>>1189953
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0
>>
What happened to the anon building his own sub? Been innawoods last couple weeks and wondering if they've fished his bloated corpse out of lake Erie yet.
>>
File: a.jpg (468KB, 1313x1239px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
468KB, 1313x1239px
what is a good substance that can dissolve grease off of aluminum that wont attack it if i let it soak in it for a while?
bonus points for another substance i can soak it in that will bring back the aluminum's sheen.
SUPER TRIPLE DOUBLE BONUS for something that will derust and passivate steel without attacking aluminum.
>>
>>1192584
is dat a sachs?
>>
>>1192588
sho nuff
km914a
>>
anyone have any experience using Oatey fix-it-stick for repairing minor leaks? Have a small, slow leak in my AC drain line and I wanted to try epoxy before replacing a section of the pipe.
>>
>>1192584
Soda blast.
>>
>>1192609
dont have the equipment for that
>>
File: 61A6AQzzSuS._SY550_.jpg (9KB, 367x550px) Image search: [Google]
61A6AQzzSuS._SY550_.jpg
9KB, 367x550px
/diy/, I need to dig a long trench alongside a road to divert rain water away from it. Should I get one of these narrow bladed shovels to do it, or should I just get a regular broad pointed shovel for the type of trench I aim to dig? I'm assuming either will do the job but I don't want to use the wrong tool and make this harder work than necessary.

Basically I'm looking for a shovel recommendation.
>>
>>1192617
A narrow trench is easier to dig with a narrow shovel. Is the trench going to be wide enough to fit a standard shovel in it? If so, stick with a normal shovel.
>>
My gas oven is heating up slow and smells like gas as it is heating up. Is the ignitor going bad? What else could it be?
>>
File: kitchen_badmerge.jpg (94KB, 1000x822px) Image search: [Google]
kitchen_badmerge.jpg
94KB, 1000x822px
>>1185652
Before you get tired of seeing this picture, i ACTUALLY am working on this project now.

I got the doors removed, sanded and now have a coat of white primer. My question is: what kind of paint (and what brush) will give me a nice semi-gloss finish that wont be eroded by grease and grimy hands? Do I need to seal it after the top coat or will it be fine? The 4 door panels over the stove are the worst condition right now

The original finish was powder coated or something (like how stoves and shit look),
>>
>>1192653
Are they metal doors?
>>
>>1192678
Yes, all metal. Maybe spray paint instead
>>
>>1192584
fast orange and a toothbrush
>>
File: IMAG2147.jpg (2MB, 4000x2240px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2147.jpg
2MB, 4000x2240px
Any ideas on how to remove the metal (aluminum?) foil from a CD? I want to preserve the clear plastic as much as possible, so scraping it of or microwaving doesn't quite do it.

Pic related is a failed attempt with hydrochloric acid.
>>
>>1192653
WTF
>>
>>1192877
When you buy those blank CD spindles they come with clear plastic "cd" separators. Idk how many you need but they only usually come with 1
>>
File: 1494591250781.jpg (28KB, 292x292px) Image search: [Google]
1494591250781.jpg
28KB, 292x292px
>>1185652
Need to fix my sink stopper. Issue is that the pivot rod isn't aligning with the hole in the stopper, so when I go to screw it back on, water leaks out because it isn't tight enough.

Any suggestions on how to align it when disassembling and reassembling Or even better, just a quick and dirty fix? I'm moving out at the end of July so i really don't care one way or the other.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-11-18-51-07.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-11-18-51-07.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I hop over a barbed-wire fence frequently across a derelict site. My clothes often get caught and torn from the barbed bit. What tool can you recommended for me to use to clip off the barbed bits easily so all that remains is the plain wire?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-11-18-52-01.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-11-18-52-01.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
The electricity poles here have ID numbers embedded into the wood. I have no idea how this was done. Any ideas? What tool was used to etch manual lettering into the wood poles. They are so clean and precise looking.
>>
>>1192883
Not a bad idea, although the one I found had a sort of semi translucent/frosted finish, and I'd prefer it to be clear.
>>
>>1192877
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlCCpCB-Gr4
>>1192927
Clipping them short will also leave sharp edges. I would use a couple of pliers and bend them around to remove them.
>>1192930
Hand router I guess.
>>
File: 20170613_131327a.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170613_131327a.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>1185652
First time I ever opened/dealt with anything electrical. My mother forced the electric motor in a soup maker and now it isn't working (the motor), everything else is, she lost the warranty.

So I guessed that either the motor is fucked or some sort of fuse is, when I opened the thing, I see this, looked out that symbol and google is telling me that it's a thermistor, which is used as some sort of fuse but... That shit just looks like a fucking staple. Is it a thermistor? How would I even know what to buy to replace it with? And can it even be replaced? If the motor is fucked, I'll just give up.
>>
File: 20170613_131346.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170613_131346.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>1192989
The other side of the thingie.
>>
>>1192463
555 timer and a decade counter IC. Google how to change the oscillation frequency of the 555 with a pot and you'll be in business. It might only work for 10 leds, but counters in general might get you in the right direction.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-7/led-sequencer/
>>
File: piggypig.jpg (66KB, 691x535px) Image search: [Google]
piggypig.jpg
66KB, 691x535px
I am working on a multi leveled project, it in its essence consists out of making a garage a livable place for two sensitive guinea pigs. My friend needs me to babysit them while they go on a trip for 1 month.

The most serious problem is that they have poor ventilation. The chemicals in there are already too bad, cleaners and paint. I'm going to remove those and then clean, then ventilate by opening the garage door for a couple days in a row following a program.

I am cleaning the floor too, since I have access to water there, but the air, after a day at work (no one can be home to take care of them except me), the air in there is still heavy and thick.

It has no ventilation, save for the tiny holes in the garage door which is in pretty bad condition. The owner of the garage won't permit any drastic changes in the door itself or allow me to make a window.

Is it feasible to have a fan and an oxygen tank that self regulates air to the guinea pigs? Given that there are no chemicals that could react badly or set fire to the oxygen.
>>
>>1192989
If you have a voltmeter set it to ohms and test for resistance one side to the other. I the reading doesn't change the that is your problem. RadioShack used to carry parts like that, so if you determine there's no flow through it you'll have to melt the solder on the back and take it in (if you have a radioshack nearby). I don't know of any other shops that sell parts like that though. Sorry.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>1192927
You could just put some material over it like a blanket or a thick mat
>>
>>1192989
>I see this, looked out that symbol and google is telling me that it's a thermistor, which is used as some sort of fuse but... That shit just looks like a fucking staple.

That position can also be used for J104 - the J stands for Jumper which is a staple looking piece of copper wire.

I don't see anything wrong with the board. Likely your mom fucked the motor.
(among other things)
>>
>>1193122
>that could react badly or set fire to the oxygen
oxygen doesn't burn
>>
>>1193134
>You could just put some material over it like a blanket or a thick mat
Fair suggestion, but the owner of the land drops by at least twice a year, and he'd surely remove the mat if he saw it. Removing the barbed bits, he'd probably not notice that. I'll probably do what the other anon suggested and pry the barbed bits off.
>>
Hello, I need a tip on respirators vs dust masks.

So which is better, ordinary dust masks or respirators like 3M half mask.

I need something from these two when working in dusty environments.

Places like attic where there is dust, corn grinding, garage working, exc. Since I have asthma and dust just kills me.

There is no chemical in my environment when I'm working but maybe I will be using something in the future like painting, airbrushing ,so maybe a half mask or should I buy that later.

I was thinking about using a respirator half mask and buying a filter just for dust and can later exchange them for something better or suiting the task like solvent and particulate protection from spray paints.

Thank you in advance.
>>
>>1192584
>what is a good substance that can dissolve grease off of aluminum that wont attack it if i let it soak in it for a while?

Dilluted ammonia/windex

>>1192927
>>1193276
Take a free day to file the tips down rounded and blunt in the section(s) you cross. Then they serve the purpose of keeping others out due to still looking nasty at a glance while not ripping your clothing. Also wear appropriate "adventuring" clothes - thick denim or canvas pants or overalls and boots.

Alternately you could coat the tips in a thick layer of super glue or something to round them off, but that's more likely to look like tampering if the owner decides to inspect it.
>>
Is DIY pronounced separately (D.I.Y.) or as a single word (diy)?
>>
Hello anon, I've got a problem here with my internet.

I've been using my power line adapter for years, and it has always worked fine. However since yesterday the adapter has been having issues.

I've done some testing already and found out that the problem lies with the amount of things I have plugged into the second socket in the power socket of the wall. Apparently if I unplug everything from that second socket my power line adapter will give me 20mb/s u/d speed, which is my usual speed. However if I plug in an extension socket my speed will go down to 1mb/s u/d, and if I turn my desktop PC (connected to the said extension) the speed will drop so hard that I can't use it anymore.

I think that I have 2 solutions:

1. Buy another wireless PCI-E card, but I'm not really sure about how effective that would be as the current one I'm using performs really bad while being a decent card. The wifi repeater I bought appears to be useless too.

2. Try to find a way to lay down a cat5/6 cable to the room which only has a power socket coming from the wall so I can have Ethernet connection. But I have no idea on how to do this. As certain people have told me that laying down a cat cable inside the same pipe of a power line will cause an increased fire hazard risk.

I'm not even sure if this is the right board to post this but this has been driving me crazy for the last two days. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
File: Wall_Poster_Display.jpg (223KB, 493x505px) Image search: [Google]
Wall_Poster_Display.jpg
223KB, 493x505px
I am looking to make a poster hanger like the one in my pic, but I want to be able to change the dimensions. My question though is for the frame with the rods in the back, what is the best way to start on this? is there a good way to make a frame that can lock together and hold those metal rods to support all of the weight of the frame extending out?
>>
I'm looking In to making a custom electric starter for a 40 year old small engine that has no kits or parts available. Finding a ~7 inch ring gear is neigh impossible because of course no one makes a car flywheel that small. I'm thinking of using a hardened gear keyed to the shaft instead. I'm assuming a full size car starter would be able to easily spin over a .3l engine with a 2-3:1 ratio vs the standard 12-15:1 ratio in a car?
>>
I have a compost bin that I fill up with biodegradable shit from cooking, and once or twice a year it needs to be sorted and reset.
So far, I've been using a random wooden frame about 80x30cm with a 2x2cm grid to kind of sieve it, but it's a hell of a job to do alone.
Any ideas for improvement? What do you /diy/kes do?
>>
>>1193602
How close is your wifi repeater? I've always tried to avoid pulling cables through the walls, at the moment I have some cat-5 running to upstairs from router attached to flooring moulding with those plastic hooks you attach with hammer, and just pulled it to the ceiling trim when I met the stairs. if you have door to get through you could always pull it under the door, or drill through next to the doorframe(or through the doorframe, just like someone who pulled the powerlines in my current place). Just put some plastic tubing there and pull the cable through.
>>
>>1194157
My wifi repeater is within 1 meter from the power line adapter. However after unplugging it from the socket it didn't fix the problem.

Also the problem with running a cable is that the router is downstairs in a seperate "cupboard". I would have to run the line up the stairs along 2 doors and drill a hole in one of them on the top. It's gonna be around 10 meters of line I think, my biggest concern is that it's going to be aesthetically unpleasing. But I'll try to do what I can anon.

Thanks for your help.
>>
>>1193925
>Any ideas for improvement? What do you /diy/kes do?
You need to agitate the bin somehow. Most /diy/ solutions involve a rotating drum. Nothing complex, usually just a closed bucket on a spit with a little door attached so it can be filled and emptied.

An even simpler design uses a stack of milk crates, or anything else that interlocks. You put some plastic sheeting on the inside walls of the cates, but not the bottom, so stuff is sieved through when you give it a good rattle. The intent is so that when the bottom crate is full of mush, you empty it out into a ready-use bin and put it on top, and the bottom two are now *almost* done.
>>
File: masterpiece drawing.png (1MB, 1115x601px) Image search: [Google]
masterpiece drawing.png
1MB, 1115x601px
>>1194201
Like this?
Sorry about the crappy drawing, not exactly an engineer here
>>
File: plastic drum composter.jpg (54KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
plastic drum composter.jpg
54KB, 600x450px
>>1194228
>Like this?

more like this
>>
>>1194228
pretty much, assuming that drum is hard walled and not a wire mesh

>>1194234
a very common design that just werks
>>
File: 20170615_171849.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170615_171849.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
What can I put in this gap next to my window ac unit? The way it is now, the bottom window sill is exposed to the elements. I used a piece of tarp material last year and that worked OK but I prefer something a little more solid that I can caulk around too keep the elements outside. Would linoleum work?
>>
>>1194263
The picture got rotated in upload for some reason, it's installed in the proper direction
>>
>>1194264
>for some reason
because you use a phone to post

>the bottom window sill is exposed to the elements.
use a piece of plastic or aluminum siding cut to fit
any source for thin aluminum to cover it would work
>>
>>1194266
Aluminum flashing! I've got that! Thank you!
>>
File: IMG_20170615_101602.jpg (2MB, 2248x3336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170615_101602.jpg
2MB, 2248x3336px
I have pic related, a small clear button. It had a painted design on the flat part of it, but I sanded it off so I could put my own printed logo on it.

When I sanded it off, it became cloudy. What can I do to make it just abit more clear now? Will a glossy spray on clearcoat help after some fine sanding?

Also what should I use to stick a printed logo on it?
>>
Hey /diy/,

How do I replace cement roof? I've just moved into a new apartment, and just got the time to change the roof-lamps. Thing is, the shits are covering up pretty hueg (13cm diameter) holes, and the new lights I'm installing requires me to fix the holes. I want it to be able to hold the weight of a chandelier. Also, there's a lot of wiring in the hole, so I'm cautious about fiddling too far into the hole.
This is the first /diy/ thing I will do, so any and all replies are apprechiated.
>>
File: 20170615_182317.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170615_182317.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1194266
It sounded like a good idea but implementation is not as easy. So many different planes
>>
>>1194307
I was talking about covering the sill - on the bottom.
For the sides I usually cut a piece of 3/4" thick styrofoam sheet to be a tight fit.
It also helps with insulating the sides.
>>
File: 1497574708937.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1497574708937.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1194315
Ah that makes sense. Here's what I wound up with (I just saw your post) I've got a piece of wood behind the flashing so I've got something to screw into. Then I'll caulk around the edges. If I just put flashing on the bottom, wouldn't rain water still collect there and run in/under/around the bottom of the accordion stuff? I think I'll still try to squeeze something on the inside like foam or insulation of some variety.

I've got a piece of mobile home skirting over the unit for the time being in case of rain. (Air is still easily able to move)
>>
>>1194349
That will work. I just like the foam for it's insulating effect.
>>
File: .jfif.jpg (120KB, 1280x1001px) Image search: [Google]
.jfif.jpg
120KB, 1280x1001px
Can I make anything out of old, broken hard drives or should I just smash them?

5x 2.5"
2x 3.5"
>>
>>1194366
I typically:
>Check for operation (Most are dead)
>Open case, remove contents
>Magnets go on teh fridge (7 on there right now)
>Platters get physically destroyed
>Aluminum case/cover goes in my aluminum scrap box in the garage, take that in for recycling when it gets full, usually get some $$ out of it
>rest of it goes in the trash

This is for small-scale, personal-use stuff. If you're IT/business, it's probably not worth the time to do that - hit 'em with a bulk eraser and pay someone else to recycle.
>>
File: IMG_20170613_132122.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170613_132122.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
Hello all. I'm getting into watches and I want to be able to change batteries and straps, even metal ones.

Which tools do I need? I see that Amazon have some Chinese kits, are them good enough?
>>
>>1194366
People have made clocks out of them. The laquered wire can be useful for winding your own inductors. If nothing else, the magnets are handy to have. When the platters are still clean and free of fingerprints, they'll stick to each other.
>>
>>1194268
halp

Will clearcoat make it more clear?
>>
>>1194614

No. You SANDED it and fucked it up. Go sit in the corner and reflect about how stupid your thought process is.
>>
>>1194268
I think that would work a little, like tape on frosted glass.
>>
>>1194617
had no option to get the original graphic off
>>1194623
I thought it would be like sanding and cleatcoating a headlight, which makes it very clear and crisp. However I dunno what will happen and maybe it'd be even more foggy. Might just keep it as-is, but I'm tempted to try it..
>>
>>1194614
no, you scratched it up

you have to buff it now and polish it flat. use finer sandpaper and then maybe one of those special buffing sponges
>>
File: nail buffing board.jpg (196KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
nail buffing board.jpg
196KB, 800x800px
>>1194754
>>
Should I tip at Japanese restaurants in the U.S.?
>>
File: shower.jpg (29KB, 470x364px) Image search: [Google]
shower.jpg
29KB, 470x364px
Can I make my own shower by bending a pipe like this?

But what kind of pipe and how to deal with threading etc.?
>>
>>1185652
I want to get into woodcarving. What's a good yet not top of the line japanese artisanal hattori hanzo woodcarving toolset? do I need to clamp the wood in a vice or what? I need a quick rundown here
>>
File: frame.png (16KB, 742x471px) Image search: [Google]
frame.png
16KB, 742x471px
Guys I want to make my own simple metal bed frame 160x200cm, pic related and I have a few questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that aluminium is better for this than steel? Steel is heavier and probably more flexible.
2. What profile of beam to choose? I was thinking rectangular positioned vertically would be better for stiffness.
3. Do I need to have my middle beam thicker? That would probably end up in beam profile to become square. There will be no 5th leg.
4. What thickness do I need my beams to be? It's a double bed and I don't ever expect to need more than 200kg of load bearing capacity. I am 85kg, my gf 55. Although sex will happen on that bed so it has to endure something. My initial thought was 40x60mm
>>
File: 61WGqgUJeHL._SX466_.jpg (13KB, 466x308px) Image search: [Google]
61WGqgUJeHL._SX466_.jpg
13KB, 466x308px
I've got a drill with some weeble-wobble. Assuming it's just the chuck and not the rest of the drill, are they a standard thing I can just swap out for a better quality part? What's the go-to brand? I dropped $300 on the drill, I don't mind buying the nice chuck to fit it.
>>
File: IMG_20170617_174914.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170617_174914.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Who does a good set of hex keys in both metric and imperial sizes? Like pic related, but whereas these hex keys are made of soap, or cheese, or something similarly soft and malleable, I would like the keys to be made of steel or a similar hard metal.
>>
I'm redoing grout and caulk in a ~40yo bathroom because some of the grout was cracked and some tiles were loose. Pop off some of the loose tiles and black mold on the drywall.

I plan on ripping out the infected dry wall instead of messing around trying to kill the fungus. Studs are 10/10 still so that's good. However, there's a 2" strip of 3/8 plywood on the studs before the drywall. Is there a reason for this? Was it to allow a gap between the dry wall, that would eventually get water damaged, and help protect the 2x4?
>>
>>1195046
>Am I correct in thinking that aluminium is better for this than steel? Steel is heavier and probably more flexible.

No. Steel is heavier, yes, but not more flexible. And why do you want a light bed frame, it's not generally a portable item.

>What profile of beam to choose? I was thinking rectangular positioned vertically would be better for stiffness.

Sure

>Do I need to have my middle beam thicker? That would probably end up in beam profile to become square. There will be no 5th leg.

No, but I would have it diagonal instead of right down the middle, to pull the whole thing tighter together

>What thickness do I need my beams to be?

Unless you're morbidly obese I'd say you'd get by using 2"x1" box section. Steel is strong, that's why we use it for stuff.

How are you planning on putting it together? If you can weld it (or get it welded) I recommend that over nuts n bults
>>
File: placard-oxygen-2.png (48KB, 168x167px) Image search: [Google]
placard-oxygen-2.png
48KB, 168x167px
>>1193157
That doesn't mean it isn't a fire hazard.
>>
>>1195192

No it's to shim the wall square
>>
>>1195193
> And why do you want a light bed frame, it's not generally a portable item.
It matters in this case since it will be a base for Murphy bed

>No, but I would have it diagonal instead of right down the middle, to pull the whole thing tighter together
There can be additional beams but one needs to go down the middle to lay the slats on

>Unless you're morbidly obese I'd say you'd get by using 2"x1" box section. Steel is strong, that's why we use it for stuff.
Would I need thicker profile if I insisted on aluminum?

>How are you planning on putting it together?
It will be welded.
>>
>>1195188
I use "bondhus" at work (underground coal mine) and put a lot of hurt on them and have never stripped or twisted one.. they are around $46 AUD for a set (metric or imperial) here.
>>
>>1194754
sanding a headlight is a waste of time. they fog up because UV isn't fully stopped by the anti-UV coating, and it attacks the plastic. when you sand them you remove what little UV protection you had left, ensuring it will fog even quicker next time. you also probably spent like $40 on all the kit you thought you needed to sand and polish, because you had none of those things beforehand. you could have just bought replacement plastic covers for almost the same amount (unless e.g. you're a bmw-driving faggot in the US) and installed them in half the time. even if you are the bmw fag you've already demonstrated you've got more money than common sense or time so just buy replacements.
>>
>>1195218
This whole house is built with creativity and happy accidents. I hate it
>>
File: ledtube.jpg (18KB, 700x375px) Image search: [Google]
ledtube.jpg
18KB, 700x375px
(Likely a stupid question)

Any risks involved if I were to mount some led tube lights in a wood shelf with sliding glass doors?
>>
>>1195616
Depends where you wanna mount them, I guess.
LEDs are pretty safe; no chemicals, no glass, not very much heat.
>>
File: shelf.jpg (147KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
shelf.jpg
147KB, 1000x562px
>>1195620
Here, did a bit of a semi dry run using mounting tape

I'm having a bit of trouble finding led strips for some reason (hooray third world) and my local hardware stores just carry led tube lights
>>
File: 20170618_211154.jpg (815KB, 800x2649px) Image search: [Google]
20170618_211154.jpg
815KB, 800x2649px
This hugeass wellmade piece of solid sandwich board shit motherfucker is too fucking tall to pass through the corridor. It'll be able to stand in its designated room but i need to take it apart to get it there.

How do i remove one of the side boards without wrecking it?
>>
File: IMG_20170618_212818.jpg (2MB, 2048x2569px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_212818.jpg
2MB, 2048x2569px
>>1195743
This is a closeup of what i'm dealing with.
>>
>>1185652
I'm new here.

Is there some sort of wood working progression guide? like what to start with and what to learn in order. I want to learn how to work with wood but no one to teach me.
>>
I want to put cable channels in a thick pine wood desktop, is it better to use a dremel or a hammer and chisel?
>>
>>1195772

How wide/deep do they have to be? It sounds like a job for a router. Generally if you're not well-used to using a chisel I'd stay away.
>>
File: IMG_20170618_144529.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_144529.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1185652
PIC related is a heater thingy majig on same level as baseboards. I'm doing some caulking replacement in this room and the entire dwelling unit. Is it safe to caulk in the crack between that metal of the heater and the wall? Thanks.
>>
>>1195796
Water based. Won't last five minutes and you'll use a fortune in mastic. Don't bother. Install a better trim.
>>
>>1195798
Can you please suggest a better trim? Are there some qualities I should be looking for when I go shopping?
>>
>>1195772
Both methods will be super difficult and unless you're incredibly skilled will look like shit. Do what the other anon said and get a router
>>
>>1195801
I've got a router attachment for my dremel, I guess that's what I should use?

5mm deep, 3-8mm wide
>>
>>1195816
You will have to make many passes taking light cuts. Rotary tools spin fast but they don't have much power so you have to take smaller bites. With a real router, you could do it in 1-2 passes. I picked up an old router at a ReStore (Habitat for Humanity store) for $10 and it works like a champ.
>>
File: IMG_3236.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3236.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>1187769
>>1187769
We'll, ended up making a combination sprinkler/short trellis for some bush beans.. still looking for other ideas... also now very low on 1 inch elbows...
>>
I'm trying to repair an old cassette player. The belts need to be replaced, but I'm having issues taking them off. The belts look fine, but if you try to grab them, they just turn to rubber goo.
Is there something I could use to get this stuff off without hurting the plastic gears they're attached too?
>>
>>1195874
>using old shit pipe and meth lab equipment to irrigate your food
F
>>
>>1195883
Just old fittings, the pipe is new. Doubt I'm really running that much risk using them for this though.
>>
>>1195894
Your beans are going to give you dysentery, and help your common cold at the same time.
>>
>>1190468
If it's lime like >>1190877
says then just soak it in
vinegar for a while.
>>
>>1195896
Lol so it's like garlic salt... salt hardens your arteries but garlics good for the heart, net health change of zero
>>
>>1195909
Most probably. I'm just fucking with you because I'm terrified of unknown pipes, or pipe connectors. In the worst way too.
>>
>>1195911
Fair enough. For what it's worth I sprayed the dust off the connectors before I used them since they'd been sitting, and they most likely haven't been used for anything before since they'd have been glued together in any application (otherwise why use schedule 80). And they're all labeled pvc. The pipe is thinwall 1 inch pvc from mynards, doesn't have to hold pressure since it's just a drip sprinkler and it only has to hold the weight of beans.. so I got the thinwall since it was like 1.69$ for a 10 foot section. Lucked out with the schedule 80 fittings.. they have a larger glueing surface that fits tight enough that for this I didn't have to actually glue any of them together, they pressfit tight enough to work.. so I can take this apart at the end of the season then next year put it back together with taller risers for climbing pole beans instead of bush style.

Still have a shitload of 1.5 inch fittings that I'm looking for a project for...
>>
File: 20170605_121953.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170605_121953.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>1185652

i want to put carpet in this room. this floor vent was moved over to put in a a garage door opener. how should i go about sealing this so i can put carpet over it?

pic 1/2
>>
File: 20170618_110029.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170618_110029.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>1196183
from the basement/garage
>>
File: DT-830D_250.jpg (84KB, 250x410px) Image search: [Google]
DT-830D_250.jpg
84KB, 250x410px
diy noob here

should a TVS diode (transient voltage suppression diode) read 0 ohms both ways, out of circuit?
>>
>>1194263
I've got a related problem. I fucked up a bit and bought a window unit that requires a minimum width of 23" when using the side panels (or 16" without side panels).

My window is 20" wide. I haven't been able to even find a unit that says it will fit 20" including the side panels. I don't think I can easily cut the length of the side panels down and still have them slot into the AC unit, though that would be nicest since the side panels provide extra support and the instructions recommend using the panels.

But if I'm not gonna use the panels, then how the hell do I fill a solid 2 inches on each side?
>>
>>1196189
No. It's fucked.
>>
File: concept.jpg (2MB, 2829x1061px) Image search: [Google]
concept.jpg
2MB, 2829x1061px
>>1196204
>how the hell do I fill a solid 2 inches on each side
do they not sell plywood or planks where you're from?

just get some with width that will fit in the window and cut them down to make the spacers yourself

see pic related for basic concept

>>1196208
alright, thanks for that. Now I can finally get started on fixing this 40" tv I got from my neighbor
>>
File: vi_c_322.jpg (80KB, 850x988px) Image search: [Google]
vi_c_322.jpg
80KB, 850x988px
Do you guys think it would be possible, easy or not, to use parts from a bluetooth speaker to make a bluetooth adapter for a PC? I need to Wireless connect a dualshock controller without a cable, and don't have time to wait for one to arrive online.
>>
>>1196227
>possible, easy or not, to use parts from a bluetooth speaker to make a bluetooth adapter for a PC?
For me? Yes
For you? No

Since you have to ask this sort of question, and the way you asked, there's a 98% chance that you don't have the required parts or tools to even attempt this.

and you apparently don't have the time to wait for the parts

just order a 8$ adapter and pay for 2 day shipping from amazon
as there is very little possibility you'll be able to learn how to properly wire a random bluetooth module and get the parts and tools needed in less than the amount of time it would take for you to just order and receive the part from amazon
>>
File: 1497894744686.jpg (704KB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
1497894744686.jpg
704KB, 4032x2268px
>>1196183
>>
>>1196183
Cheap method.. cut scrap wood to fill hole, seal around with duct tape....

Less cheap but doesn't require cutting.... buy an extra vent cover and duct tape the back closed.. put it in vent hole
>>
>>1195743
Just turn it on its side
>>
File: Capture.png (44KB, 1269x443px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
44KB, 1269x443px
I'm building a stereo into my worktop. Do you guys think I should go for a long bar like on the left or a square like on the right? Either way it's going in a corner, I can't decide.
>>
>>1196641
Also by necessity of the hardware going into it the plates have to be at least that size, does anyone have any idea of any decoration or embellishment I could add, or anything else I should integrate into it?
>>
File: 4.jpg (131KB, 984x333px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
131KB, 984x333px
Im getting the skeleton of a 12 by 16 shed. Im turning it into a greenhouse. What cheap diy method can I use to coat the pipes?
>>
File: Pipe Painter.png (146KB, 986x639px) Image search: [Google]
Pipe Painter.png
146KB, 986x639px
>>1196681
>>
is there such thing as a roller bearing with a bit of intentional axial play in it? i'm working on a quality knob with a pushbutton feature and one of those simplify things.
>>
What would be the best way to hide dirt if digging a lot of ground in a "public" forest?
>>
>>1196809
Eat it.
>>
>>1196809
dump in the nearest stream a little at a time
let the stream take care of it
>>
Good indoor security cam? Tired of my brother stealing my shit. Willing to pay a couple hundred just to catch him going into my bedroom.
>>
am trying to make something like pic related. how do i cut nice, clean holes in plastic?

keep in mind that i am an absolute novice who just doesn't know how to say no
>>
File: hole saws.jpg (73KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
hole saws.jpg
73KB, 800x800px
>>1196823
>>
>>1196821
Either be a man and stand up to him, or be a man and get your own place.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-20-20-43-56.png (626KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-20-20-43-56.png
626KB, 720x1280px
Is this overpriced?
>>
>>1196834
Can't, have heart failure. Moving out isn't an option until I get a device implanted in my heart or a transplant.
>>
>>1196851
Hospice.
>>
>>1196821
https://www.amazon.com/PANNOVO-camera-Hidden-Activation-Detection/dp/B01MXM035W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498006918&sr=8-1&keywords=motion+activated+camera

30 bucks and motion activated. needs a micro sd card for storage
>>
>>1196828
i guess i actually need a drill. what drill gives the most bang for buck?
>>
>>1196850
Probably but it depends on the size, weight, condition, and who made it.
>>
>>1196853
Doctors won't put me in there. Don't qualify for it and I'm young. They think I'll recover even though this is the second time I'm in heart failure.
>>
>>1196857

you can get 120Vac drills at the thrift store for under $10 but a hand drill is not gonna give you a clean cut coz it's gonna wiggle. you really need to find someone who has a drill press, or to make your own from wood. also, the hole saws the other dude recommended are also no good if you want a very clean cut. for that you need more of a lathe-like cutting tool.

this page shows some good options: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/hole-saws-and-sets/
search it for ''tapered drill set'', "Adjustable Hole Cutter", ''Draper 4302B adjustable 40mm - 120mm Hole Cutter'',

if the plastic is not brittle, you can use a ''Sheet Metal Hole Punch / Hole Cutter''

if the plastic is thin, like 2mm, then you can find hand-operated circle cutters at hobby shops, even at dollar stores.
>>
>>1196877
>also, the hole saws the other dude recommended are also no good if you want a very clean cut

run them backwards for a clean cut
>>
I have a burgundy wall that we're going to paint bright, cherry red.

Never painted red, but I've heard it's important to prime first - anything special given this will be bright red over darker red?
>>
So a friend of mine has these metal rings he uses to keep his wrenches on--think like a set of measuring cups. I'm trying to find something similar on Ebay but I keep drawing a blank. These were ovoid, if it helps.
>>
File: 8 inch jumbo aluminum hook.jpg (98KB, 1018x647px) Image search: [Google]
8 inch jumbo aluminum hook.jpg
98KB, 1018x647px
>>1197357

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-jumbo-aluminum-hook-95327.html
>>
>>1197323
>Never painted red, but I've heard it's important to prime first

no dude, you only prime when it's the very first coat of paint, in order to seal the wood/drywall/whatever. after that, you just have to be careful to NOT USE oil-based paint over water-based.
>>
File: 1vilx486ntny.jpg (767KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1vilx486ntny.jpg
767KB, 2448x2448px
Can E7018AC stick welding electrodes be used on a DC welder?
>>
File: 2017-05-27 15.37.50.jpg (3MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-27 15.37.50.jpg
3MB, 4208x2368px
i have a go kart (pic related) with a 212cc engine that i replaced the stock 19mm bore carb with a 390cc 27mm bore carb. the old carb had a .036 jet and enlarged emulsion tube, the new carb has a .038 jet and even larger e tube than the old upgraded one. the intake cast into the block and stuff are all still stock size, about 20mm.
now the engine wont start as easily as before, even warm. before it fired up in 2 pulls unchoked every single time even dead cold. now even when its fully hot you have to close the choke and hold the throttle in a specific place to get it to turn over but it will run fine unchoked after that. it used to huff some soot and had pretty low lag when you stepped on the gas but now it doesnt and actually starts to stall for half a second before it starts picking up.
im assuming that this thing is running lean and i have to get a larger jet?
>>
>>1197498
>you have to close the choke and hold the throttle in a specific place to get it to turn over
sounds like it's over carbureted.
19mm - 27mm is almost 50% increase
giant carb throat is restricted by intake casting
>it can't suck enough air through for a proper mixture
>>
>>1197526
how can i counteract this? like i said it runs fine just starting is a hassle. doesnt needing the choke generally mean that its running lean since choking richens the mix?
i used a commonly available adapter and other people have done this, granted they were doing bored and stroked 8000+ rpm actual racing builds.
>>
>>1197546
>bored and stroked
then they aren't running 212cc like you are
to tell if you're running lean check the temp of the engine while running and look at the plugs after a lengthy run
If you still have the original carb, put it back on and run it for a reference point on typical temp for this engine
>>
File: IMG_20170608_142134.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170608_142134.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
What's the name of this tool on the bike?
>>
File: IMG_20170621_080622.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170621_080622.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
What's the name of this tool? It broke apart under stress.
>>
File: bike multi spanner.png (280KB, 1262x601px) Image search: [Google]
bike multi spanner.png
280KB, 1262x601px
>>1197773
>>
File: dog bone wrench.png (613KB, 1159x477px) Image search: [Google]
dog bone wrench.png
613KB, 1159x477px
>>1197775
>>
Thank you.
>>
File: 1426813301991.png (493KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1426813301991.png
493KB, 750x750px
How do you set the wiring of a light to be turned on/off by two different switches?
There's a hallway, and I want to put a light source in the middle with the switches on both sides so you can turn it on from one side and turn it off from the other our the other way around.
>>
>>1198036

buy 2 three-way switches. google for guides on how to wire them. they can be wired in more than one way, depending on the relative positions of the 3 elements.
>>
>>1198089
>>1198155
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 93

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.