[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT/SQT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 88

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.
Previous: >>1185652

I have one of these shower heads at my place and the threading on one of the bolts is worn down on the far end such that the twist nut cannot grip onto it well enough to tighten it and hold on.
Any way to fix this or should I just grab a new showerhead?
>>
Punch + Hammer + WD40 + New Bolt.
This shits like day 1 of diy class.
>>
>>1197527
What do you mean punch? I grew up in a house with no DIY or maintenance conducted at all. Things were regularly getting broken and thrown out when all they really needed was some minor maintenance. I am the only one in my family that can even use a screwdriver.
>>
File: IMG_2988.jpg (14KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2988.jpg
14KB, 384x384px
>>1197529
Next time you're at a garage sale pick up every single one of these you can find.
>>
File: 1495233645389 (1).gif (2MB, 424x424px) Image search: [Google]
1495233645389 (1).gif
2MB, 424x424px
is it worth spending 100s of hours practicing stick welding, or should i fork out the dough to practice with TIG?

>t. no-trade anon
>>
>>1197524
It would look like trash, but you could try it, bolts are all standardized now
. Just take it out and take it down to the hardware store and but something with threads that match.

The nut is probably fucked too though, and that is probably not a replaceable part here, and the tools to rethread it, and the new hardware would set you back more than a new pivoting arm.
>>
File: 50432985723049857345.jpg (46KB, 730x780px) Image search: [Google]
50432985723049857345.jpg
46KB, 730x780px
Can I get a window air conditioner into my sliding window securely without drilling into my window?

It's way too fucking hot in my room and I'm not gonna survive summer at this rate. (it's 2 in the morning and it is only down to 78 degrees). I live in apartment though and I can't just start drilling.

Thing is that my new place has a window unit already and so I only need to get to August. So any advice? Is this even my best option?
>>
>>1197562
I considered replacement bolts but was worried about finding one with suitable water resistance. All I could see at the local hardware were zinc coated ones.
>>
>>1197584
Get two metal poles, put some foam on the parts that would push against the walls alongside your window, get two winching straps and winch/zip your air conditioner between them, have them bent at the hardware store if you need to recess them into a depression in the wall like a ````u```` where the u is the window well. Use another winch or two to attach one or two anchored the the air conditioner ropes and tie them off to the poles.

After the move and during the move you'll have 3-4 winch straps to buckle everything down and tow metal rods to do whatever with.
>>
File: IMG_20170622_202219975.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_202219975.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
i made this out of OIL and SOAP gratings.
is it grease now?
>>
File: E119421_Kabelschuhe_Verbinder.gif (18KB, 256x190px) Image search: [Google]
E119421_Kabelschuhe_Verbinder.gif
18KB, 256x190px
Can you show me some example how these Faston things are used with quick connectors? I think I bought the wrong model, I should have probably bought the one without the "curly" things on it and just a flat plate.
>>
>>1197638
Those are 'stackable' quick connects for use where you need to connect two quick connects to one blade.
If it's in the way or not being used just clip it off.
>>
>>1197524
slip a piece of fine wire through the nut, tighten and leave alone
stop fuckin with it all the time and it won't have a reason to wear
>>
>>1197642
What do you mean fucking with it all the time, before today when it came loose and caused the shower head to fall off I had never even touched it aside from wiping it with a cloth when cleaning the shower.
>>
>>1197552
If you learn with stick, TIG will be easy when you pick it up.
>>
>>1197552
learn stick wont be hundreds of hours far easier and cheaper then gtaw and can do field repairs out of position without the worry of your shielding gas blowing away
>>
File: tb-12-accessories.jpg (133KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
tb-12-accessories.jpg
133KB, 900x600px
>>1197641
something like this?
>>
Anyone here know of a place that I could find resources about designing a circuit for a guitar amp? Not necessarily looking to do it cheaper then buying one, but I am interested in designing one.
>>
>>1197623
wtf, if you want to make new soap bars from old pieces of soap and soad gratings, you add a small amount of water, not oil.

chuck that out.
>>
>>1197749
>designing a circuit for a guitar amp
Have you built one designed by someone else?
What kind of special need do you have that's not already out there?
>>
>>1197778
Nothing other then I want to do it. IDK, just if I can do it myself why not? I am realistic enough to know it probably won't save me much money. So I guess locate a circuit for an existing design and source parts?
>>
Can someone give me some ideas on how to make this thing the guy uses on his head to lift weights with his neck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNgDIUrD2Dk
>>
File: 121256845626325.gif (931KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
121256845626325.gif
931KB, 500x271px
>>1197671
thx mr lighting™
>>
File: 1494599281360.png (126KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
1494599281360.png
126KB, 500x393px
>>1197700
niiiiiiiiisss
>>
How do I test aluminum tube straightness? I want to use it for my circular saw track/rail. Straight edge is expensive as fuck and factory plywood edge still fucks me up.
>>
>>1197798
>breaking news:
>local man brakes neck with absurd torture device, family unsurprised
>>
File: tegaki.png (3KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
3KB, 400x400px
How do you set the wiring of a light to be turned on/off by two different switches?
There's a hallway, and I want to put a light source in the middle with the switches on both sides so you can turn it on from one side and turn it off from the other or the other way around.
>>
File: 3-way-power-at-switch[1].jpg (42KB, 448x270px) Image search: [Google]
3-way-power-at-switch[1].jpg
42KB, 448x270px
>>1198054
There are some variations. Picture related is a common one. Check this link for more examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=three+way+light+switch&tbm=isch
>>
>>1198062
>there is a three way switch in my house. I still think it's black magic.

I was in a 2400pair splice today and that three way freaks me out.
>>
how are polycarbonate and aluminum for table/desk tops? i'm thinking aluminum for holding somewhat warm stuff (computer, game consoles, monitors), and polycarb for the rest (reading, writing, maybe bookshelf).

are there some rules of thumb i could work off of for sheet thickness and support spacing? my engineering-with-numbers abilities are embarassingly nonexistant.
>>
>>1198074

there's a reason you dont see aluminum or polycarbonate-topped desks when you visit Ikea. coz they're shit! too hard, too slick. you cant write on them. anything round, like a pen, ends up rolling off. aluminum is easily stained by liquids. poly can be discolored by heat, and has sharp corners that slice up your fingers when you bump them.
>>
>>1198043
Hahahaha

That torture device is a harness to get neck gains. I can't just order it online because in my country customs is a bitch and things take months to arrive and then you have to do days worth of paperwork to pick up your item from customs.

I don't even need that specific thing, just something that could work as it
>>
File: 3 WAY.jpg (45KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
3 WAY.jpg
45KB, 960x720px
>>1198073
>I still think it's black magic.

Simplified drawing to give away the magic trick.
>>
File: 4wayswitchdiagram2.jpg (34KB, 550x509px) Image search: [Google]
4wayswitchdiagram2.jpg
34KB, 550x509px
>>1198155
But it's not.
>>
>>1198404
Yes it is, except the centre switch flips the red and black wires.
>>
File: looks at the extra switch.jpg (7KB, 205x200px) Image search: [Google]
looks at the extra switch.jpg
7KB, 205x200px
>>1198404
>discussion is about 3-way switches
>posts pic of 4-way swithces
>>
>>1198733
I did misspeak. I was only considering that it had three switches.

Can this be repeated for N switches or is 4 way generally the max without switching to something with a controller?
>>
I've got door hinges that coming loose from the wall because the screw-holes seem to be stripped. What do?
>>
>>1198781
use larger (fatter) screws or:
remove hinges
drive glue laden pegs into holes
wait for glue to dry
re-install hinges with original screws
>>
>>1198760
>Can this be repeated for N switches
Yes. Just put 3-way at each end and X# 4-way in the middle.
>>
File: 4WayAnimation.gif (50KB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
4WayAnimation.gif
50KB, 350x200px
>>1198788
better example
>>
File: 14772082.jpg (43KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
14772082.jpg
43KB, 1200x1200px
>>1197524
How can i make this thing hotter?
>>
What are some good resources for building a house from scratch? Any recommendations? It can be books, audiobooks, pdf, forums, sites, programs etc

In relation to that: Where other than /diy/ would you check out for questions like that?
>>
>>1198794
It electric? Run it off 240V. Don't want a housefire? Run it off a variac. If you're good you could trim the resistive wire a little to get higher wattage, but soldering onto nichrome isn't too easy.
>>
File: turbopuppy.jpg (66KB, 800x741px) Image search: [Google]
turbopuppy.jpg
66KB, 800x741px
>>1197524
ive acquired a tiny little turbo from a friend. like its maybe big enough for a 300-400cc motorcycle. i want to put it on my go kart for shits and giggles. im probably going to do a draw through carb because i really dont know how to go about converting it to blow through. my only concern is a backfire setting off all of the fuel charged air and blowing up my turbo. im thinking if i just used some reinforced silicone hose to pipe the outlet to the intake so that if it does happen it will either split the hose or blow it off of the couplers and spare the turbo without wont expand too much from boost. does this sound like it will work?
>>
If I buy a piece of property, how many days can I sleep in a tent on it before the government gets to say that I'm permanently dwelling there and try to enforce regulations on me?
>>
File: spooky reaction.gif (422KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
spooky reaction.gif
422KB, 512x512px
Is there any trade which relies on knowledge rather than hand skill?
I'm really clumsy and cut my fingers off with a table saw a few months back, so I'm no good at welding or carpentry.
Should I look into becoming a mechanic, electrician, or something else? I was thinking about heavy diesel in particular.
>>
>>1198794
>>1198992
Its gas. Propain
>>
how can i connect multicore wire to a component like a thermistor? just use a blob of solder?
>>
>>1199053
premix fuel and air, increase air intake, use pure oxygen instead of air, use acetylene or cyanonitrogen instead of propane, increase gas flow rate
>>
File: znfkvf.png (3KB, 243x278px) Image search: [Google]
znfkvf.png
3KB, 243x278px
My pantry doors are like pic related. At the red spots I have those double roller catches to keep the doors shut.

The problem is these doors are large and the air pushed in when you close one has enough force to push open the other door. I thought replacing the latches with fresh ones might solve the problem and they do hold it tighter but it still opens occasionally.
What would be my best option to stop this from happening? Extra latches? Funnelling the air through a different exit?
And which latches are the strongest? I used the double rollers because they are what was already there and I had some spare ones, but if the magnetic type or something are stronger I guess I could switch to those, or at least use them in the future.
>>
File: spring loaded hinges.jpg (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
spring loaded hinges.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
>>1199100

add a couple of cheap spring loaded hinges.
>>
>>1199103
Would that not make the doors auto-close themselves into my back? Or are the springs too weak for that?
>>
Anything I can do to stop overzealous retards from ruining my tap washers by over-tightening everything?
I am getting tired of having to replace all my tap washers every couple months after my family visits.
Should I just switch over to mixer style taps?
>>
>>1199053
replace oxygen with dioxygen-difluoride, trust me im a chemist
>>
>>1199100
>air pushed in when you close one has enough force to push open the other door.

have you considered holding one with your hand while closing the other?
>>
Is there someone I could hire to come look at a house and make me a list of repairs, replacements and renovations that could be done with (even super rough) estimates?
If so what is the name of this job?

Got a family place that is a shithole and in need of so many repairs and replacements that I am not sure which are the most urgent or if it is even worth fixing it up over just rebuilding.
>>
>>1199182
>have you considered holding you hand against one doror while closing the other?
>>1199187
I do that but it is still a bitch and opens itself often. Also does not work when I have my hands full (as is usual when taking things out of the pantry).
>>
>>1197524
does anyone have a datasheet for extruded aluminium grade 6082t6? I can't find any data that doesn't contradict everything else
>>
File: 1498374715230.png (4KB, 243x278px) Image search: [Google]
1498374715230.png
4KB, 243x278px
>>1199189
>opens itself often
then it's more than just the air pushing it out problem
put an extra set of latches on a shelf near the handles
>>
I need to fit 16mm PEX pipe through a 12mm gap, can I heat up the pipe and flatten it or will that make it leak?
>>
I plan on putting solar panels on the roof of a trailer. Should I make a lid to cover it while it's sitting parked outside during the offseason? Every RV and camper design I find has them unprotected but I'm skeptical.
>>
>>1199228
Use magnets.
>>
I can't run a swamp cooler because 1. It's too humid already and 2. I don't want to make my room humid, which has lots of computer hardware in it
Is there a method to keep shit cool other than buying a $200 a/c unit and strapping it in my window?
>>
>>1199045
Probably depends on location but the IRS defines a primary residence as the place you spend the majority of time. So I guess 182 days. This typical refers to houses though. So I guess you could claim to be homeless.

>>1199048
No. If it relies on knowledge rather than hands on ability it's not a trade. Become an engineer.

>>1199100
You can either put ball catches on the bottom or switch to a bolt on one side. It will be a pain if you open them both often though.

>>1199188
Home inspector. They generally don't come up with prices to fix, but a lot probably could. if not, you have a list and can call a general contractor to ask them for a quote.

>>1199257
You'll ruin the integrity. Splice in a smaller section or make the gap bigger.

>>1199662
Buy a $100 unit. Not really.
>>
What would be the strongest stitching for end to end? got a fabric case im modifying and after cutting as well as i could it only has about about .2 inch of fabric to stitch each end, tooo tight for my skill level
>>
>>1199699
>Buy a $100 unit. Not really.
any tips on fitting one of those into a sideways window?
>>
>>1199048
>>1199699

Are things like home inspector not considered trades? You seem to have given a good answer right after saying the question is stupid.
>>
File: sliding window locks.jpg (16KB, 400x322px) Image search: [Google]
sliding window locks.jpg
16KB, 400x322px
>>1199837
Assuming the window will open wide enough to allow it to sit on the window silll, just push the window back against the AC unit and measure the opening including the recess the window fits into.
Since there is no upper sash to hold the AC unit upright, you'll need a bracket/brace on the bottom to hold it in the proper position (tilted slightly toward the outside for condensate drainage)
Get material acceptable to you (plywood, plexiglass, whatever) and cut to fit inside the side rail and to the edge of the window all the way to the top and into the top recess as well.
Slide window open enough to fit the material into the recesses and against the top of the AC unit.
Close window against the side of the unit and the filler material.
Use sliding window locks at the top and the bottom to prevent opening of the window.
>>
>pay amazon 5 eur extra for fast 2-days shipment
>To be delivered in 2 days!
>forgot to add stuff to order.. I will just edit it
>sorry! you can only remove items, we do that to ensure shipping time consistency.
>open second order, pay another 5 eur of shipping fees (I can't be home waiting for delivery every day)
>they split both order in 2 (I didn't selected that option)
>they still pretend everything will be delivered in time
>it won't, and this happened before

Starting to really dislike amazon.
Do you think I could get my 10 euro back if I mail them?
>>
>>1200320
sorry, I was sure I was in /g/'s sqt, but I suppose here is fine as well
>>
>>1200011
Not that Anon but are newer window air-conditioners more energy efficient than old ones or are they all the same?
>>
>>1200325
>are newer window air-conditioners more energy efficient than old ones
I don't know, let me Google that for you.
>search 'energy efficiency of window air conditioners'
>find: http://www.consumerreports.org/window-air-conditioners/energy-efficient-window-air-conditioners/
CR says if it's made after October 2015 it may be.
>Window air conditioners manufactured since the end of October have such innovations as high-efficiency compressors and fans, and better insulated installation materials that give you a tighter fit.
Sucks for you that Google is not available in your country.
At least there is someone on /diy/ to do it for you.
>>
>>1200334
:^)
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
Replaced my old electric stove with a gas one. It's got an electric igniter and lights just fine. When I turn the flame off, gas keeps coming out of the orifice and isn't being ignited. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
Heya

Longstory short:
>have to jump in as a summercamp leader for a group of 8-9 year olds tomorrow (the camp is run by two people, one got sick
>today i taught them how to measure and saw a plank (20cm long, 13cm wide) and then sandpaper. Each kid got their own piece of wood
i had an idea for the kids to make keyholders out of them but now wondering if anyone got a better idea?
Also, is there anything fairly simple i could getvthem to make otherwise? (vague question, i know)
>>
what sites are good for buying non-circuitry related electric components like electric motors and compressors?
>>
>>1200510
should clarify that when i state "compressors" i mean fluid compressors, not air compressors like you'd get at a hardware store
>>
>>1200512
As in, A/C compressors?
>>
>>1200513
i think fluid pumps is what i meant (basically i want to experiment with making small scale refrigeration stuff)
>>
>>1200514
Aliexpress has some of those things I'd have to know what country you're in to suggest something local.
>>
>>1200520
living the life of eternal freedom in the USA
>>
File: NI_Traktor_Kontrol_F1.jpg (72KB, 1126x707px) Image search: [Google]
NI_Traktor_Kontrol_F1.jpg
72KB, 1126x707px
I'm making one of these.

What are these types of buttons called? How do I order a bunch of them in bulk?

All I can think of for now is to buy a translucent silicone rubber sheet, and cut them out myself.
>>
>>1200555
is that a midi controller or a remote?zone?
those are just transparently puchbutton covers with LEDs under them.
>>
File: IMG_20170628_081340097-2099x1181.jpg (520KB, 2099x1181px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170628_081340097-2099x1181.jpg
520KB, 2099x1181px
Hey, /diy/, I'm building a deck behind my house and while digging a hole to pour concrete in I hit a wire. I initially thought coax but the copper sheilding isn't braided. Could possibly an inert line running to what may have been a dish from the previous owners. Any thoughts on what it is? Pencil set next to cable for scale.
>>
>>1200320
>>1200321
Contact support and if they don't refund it then complain.
>>
>>1197756
He's making grease.
>>
>>1200899
>but the copper sheilding isn't braided.
did you cut off the outer sheath and shield?
fucking mad lad.
who cares what its for you fucked it now. wear rubber gloves and gumboots when you cut it.
belt and braces.
>>
>>1200899

Dont know what it is but here in England the only cable I know that has a full copper sheath around it like that is MIMS which is an old cable used for critical equipment such as emergency lights.
>>
>>1200899
uncover a little more of it and look for identification numbers on it
possibly something like RG-##/?
>>
I own a masonry lodge. Basically a big concrete room. The back half is rented out to the local boxing gym with. A fairly crappy wall seperating it from my storage area. I want to make my storage section air tight and was looking for ideas on how I'd seal it from both the other room and the outside.
I also have a very basic idea for an airlock
>>
>>1201254
Paint everything with a few coats of epoxy paint. You can test how well it holds pressure by installing a pressure gauge, sealing the door with silicone on a particularly hot day, and checking the pressure difference on a cold day, or you could have a go with a bike pump. Not sure if it's really worth doing though.
>>
File: quality image.png (10KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
quality image.png
10KB, 800x600px
The shelf part of my desk is sagging, and the cabinet drawer is also misaligned. What are some things I could do to get it straight again? I have VERY little experience so far, so the easier the solution the better.

Heres my masterpiece artwork to help show what I mean
>>
File: Untitled 1.jpg (148KB, 1026x398px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 1.jpg
148KB, 1026x398px
tl;dr: What type of key and size if you could tell is the one on the tip of that machine? If I just get that key and use a cordless drill I could save more than 50 bucks?

hey /diy/,
there's this craftsman weed wacker that has a shitty quick start pull start system. bought one before checking reviews online. they talk about the start system of them is crap and gets ruined quick.

So it's ruin on this one after 4 maybe 5 uses.
the motor is fine. it's just the starter system that is shot. when you pull the starter cord it feels soft like it doesn't turn the wheel.
So I'm planning to use a cordless drill to start it.
I just don't know what size that key in p[ic related is?

english isn't my first language. if you understood any of this, I would appreciate any help. thank you for your time.
>>
Trying to make a home office for multiple people.

Was thinking about making a really long wall mounted desk across two walls like pic related. Might also put in a couch and a small tv mounted high on the wall.
>>
>>1201583
forgot the rest of the post...

What should i go about doing to make it more of a workspace that multiple people would want to use?

The space is about 100sq ft and I'd like to have 6 people use the space simultaneously.
>>
File: bidet-toilet-bathroom.jpg (66KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bidet-toilet-bathroom.jpg
66KB, 480x360px
I have a bidet in my bathroom I want to get did of since I'm renovating anyways. Can I just plug the drain hole and cover it with tile?
>>
File: 23038783.jpg (607KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
23038783.jpg
607KB, 1000x750px
Fuck shit cunt.

Any brand of caulk gun that won't fall to pieces?
>>
>>1201779

Start with one that costs more than $5. But even those seem to last years in the hands of my co-workers who use them like mad when prepping a house for painting.

The main factors in selecting a caulk gun are how much caulk comes out for each pump (some are fast but harder to use, the slow ones are easier to pump), and how to stop the caulk flow. Most modern guns are dripless, but not all. And some of the dripless ones tend to ooze for a while after you stop pumping.
>>
What controls hot water pressure the most? My hot water maxes out after a single 180 degree turn of the tap. In contrast my cold water keeps getting stronger the further I turn it.

Are my hot water pipes too thin somewhere or something? I am only renting but this shit is fucked and I will fix it myself if I can.
>>
>>1201802

It does sound like a restriction of some sort since they both start with the same water line coming in to your unit. Maybe the hot water heater is old and full of sediment. Mine fills up with a gelatin like substance if I don't flush it once in a while.

If you have shutoff valves under the sink or whatever make sure they are wide open.
>>
>>1201804
>Maybe the hot water heater is old and full of sediment. Mine fills up with a gelatin like substance if I don't flush it once in a while.
It was/is. I flushed it completely 3x a couple days ago because I think I am the first person to ever flush it since it was built in the 00s.
I still want to flush it again because I think there is still some sediment at the bottom.

None of the taps have any under the sink shutoffs (which is a pain when I have to replace the crappy washers).
>>
I noticed at a party that the propane cylinder powering the grill/fake fireplace had a decent amount of frost on it after a hour or so
could you utilize this for air conditioning or would it be too inefficient to be usable?
>>
>>1197623
wtf are you doing with your life dude.
get the fuck out of here.
fuck.
>>
>>1198998
I'd go talk to /o/ about it
>>
>>1202002
you have to be de-pressurising the cylinder iirc because most of the cooling is caused by the gas expanding and going from a liquid to a gas
>>
>>1200334
I'm so fucking happy you googled that, actually read the article, then went back and took a screenshot, then made a rant on /diy/ instead of just simply saying "yes" or "no"
>>
>>1200438
>Am I doing something wrong?
Possibly. Is it LP or Natural gas? Are you sure you have the correct jets? Was it used? Is it ALL the orifices, or just one specific one? It shouldn't be letting gas out.
>>
>>1201466
Assuming the base is still square you could simply add some brackets to straighten the overall structure, then add a 2x4 or two under the shelf it make it flat again
>>
How do I overcome my paralyzing fear of intimacy and finally get a gf?
>>
File: flamable gas as refrigerant.png (29KB, 837x471px) Image search: [Google]
flamable gas as refrigerant.png
29KB, 837x471px
>>1202002
>could you utilize this for air conditioning or would it be too inefficient to be usable?
You're way behind, anon. It's been used for years.
>>
>>1197524
What's a good, practical way to get into electronics fabrication? I'm fairly mechanically adept, but I've never really delved into building my own power supplies or troubleshooting faulty pcb's.
Shit like impedance matching, mosfets, and transformers are like space magic to me.
For example, I have no idea how a light bulb doesn't just draw all the current available to it and instantly blow out.
>>
File: 20170630_215552_HDR-1.jpg (856KB, 1656x3020px) Image search: [Google]
20170630_215552_HDR-1.jpg
856KB, 1656x3020px
I'm a CNC monkey.
I use Anchorlube G771 for tapping everything up to like 1" taps or so.
We get it in gallon jugs, which I then have to squeeze into pic related.
The problem comes when I have to lube up ~60 3" deep holes. It takes fucking forever because I have to refill the small bottle several times.
I'm trying to find something manual/unpowered, sort of like a caulk gun but with a built in container I can fill myself.
I don't even know where to start, all I'm getting from various Google queries is 100 kinds of grease guns.
>>
>>1202127
Is there any reason you can't put a convenient nozzle on the gallon jug and just use that?
>>
>>1202123
>I have no idea how a light bulb doesn't just draw all the current available to it and instantly blow out.
A wall socket is a nearly-ideal voltage source, and an ideal voltage source will output the same voltage regardless of the load resistance/current drawn. A light bulb has approximately constant resistance, so through Ohm's law V=I*R, we get I=V/R, because V and R are constant. The greater the resistance, the less current.

>transformers
Every wire that has current through it is surrounded by a magnetic field which is proportional to the current. This is due to the moving electric charges. This magnetic field circles the wire through the right-hand-grip rule, i.e. your curling fingers are the direction of the magnetic field if your thumb points in the direction of the current when you grip the wire. Equivalently, if you generate a magnetic field around a wire, it will cause a current to flow within it. By curling a wire into a coil/solenoid, the magnetic field on the inside is concentrated, and by putting two of these next to each other we can get as much of the magnetic field from one another overlapping. But the voltage generated in one wire is caused by the changing magnetic field around it, so a direct current will not work as its magnetic field remains constant. This is why transformers only work properly with alternating current, but if you turn on DC power to the primary coil, you will notice a momentary voltage spike at the secondary. Because the strength of the magnetic field inside the solenoid is affected by the amount of coils, we can effect the secondary/output voltage by changing the ratio of primary to secondary turns of wire.
>>
>>1202128
I tried that, believe me. I'm a pretty strong dude but imagine holding a milk jug above your hand and trying to squeeze paste out of a 5/16 nozzle on the end. Gets tiring quick.
I stumbled on 'sausage guns,' gonna see if those hold any promise.
>>
>>1202133
Thank you, Anon. A couple of followup questions:

>I'm familiar with V=IR. I'm also familiar with P=VI. Combining the two, you get P=I^2*R. If I want a high-power motor, it then needs very low resistance and therefore high amperage (assuming the breaker will allow it), correct?

>How do you step up or down with DC voltage? Do you have to have a resistor in series that matches the rest of the circuit to step down? Is this what impedance matching is?

My main question still remains: what's a practical way to familiarize myself with this stuff? (Preferably from home.)
>>
>>1202135
If it's a thick enough paste, you could try putting it in a tub and using a tongue depressor or soft spatula-like tool to deposit your goo in the hole.
>>
>>1202127
Piping bag and then fill it with gallon jug dispenser?
>>
Or take this idea and adapt it to your use, why pump with hands when you got feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-WQMms7up4
>>
>>1202143
If you model the motor as a DC resistor, then yes. But the a part of the resistance from the motor will be inductive reactance, not normal resistance. For field windings this doesn't matter because the current through them is constant (if it's a DC motor), but the commuted rotor windings are flipping polarity, which is essentially putting AC current through a solenoid. The reactance (also measured in ohms) is proportional to the frequency of the alternating current, so it's going to be quite difficult to guess the current drawn by a motor unless you know what the inductance of the windings are, and what speed it turns at. Even more so, you cannot simply measure the DC resistance with a multimeter. Best way to do it is plug the motor in and see. There's also a weird thing where the current sine-wave is out-of-phase with the voltage sine-wave, meaning that you cannot simply multiply the RMS voltage and current together to get the power, though it does give somewhat good of an estimate. In reality the power will be lower by a factor called the "power factor", and you can probably find one for a generic electric motor online that will work just fine.

DC voltage converters all convert the DC into AC, by switching it rapidly with a transistor (usually a FET these days). The higher the frequency the more efficient these devices are, so they'll commonly be running much faster than mains frequency, so the transformers can be much more compact. Though it's actually more common for DC voltage converters to be a buck/boost converter than to use a transformer. These work with a single solenoid/inductor which stores energy proportional to the current within its magnetic field, and then switches off the current suddenly, causing the voltage to increase to try and keep a current flowing through the inductor. These are called switched-mode power supplies, and the wikipedia page for them tells you quite a bit.

To learn, I suggest engaging in Q&A on /ohm/, it worked for me
>>
>>1202127
Is this reality or just fantasy?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-500cc-16-oz-Pint-Capacity-Oil-Can-648751/204505280?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-HandTools%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7dfKBRCdkKrvmfKtyeoBEiQAch0egfTzaJCbBA7sILUa3MiwTvSFg3HMm_eWpFOUyENNop0aApfY8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.zoro.com/ridgid-pipe-threading-oiler-1-gal-10883/i/G0782975/cg?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7dfKBRCdkKrvmfKtyeoBEiQAch0egbpvAHAavxxiIZ3N5FcwRko_uwqbnv6L7Lxhy7DfypMaAkig8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
>>
>>1202168
>literally the first couple sentences in /ohm/ tell you where to go to learn

Well fuck me ten ways to Sunday, should've done some basic internet legwork.

Thanks again, anon.
>>
>>1200438
there is a packet on the back of the range w/ instructions
> pull teh knob off and look inside for a screw
>>
>>1201486
its a 5point == its impossible to find
the pullstarts have plastic teeth that fail all the time
sears sells a bit just for putting in a drill for 9 dollars
>>
File: 40-2386-00,%2040-2390-00.jpg (28KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
40-2386-00,%2040-2390-00.jpg
28KB, 640x640px
So, I'm trying to get about 100 SPST push button switches with wire leads like this one. Finding them isn't an issue, but I'm confused about the price.

For example, this is the cheapest one I can find on Digikey:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/judco-manufacturing-inc/40-2390-00/506PB-ND/185671

>$1.45 per switch

Are they really this expensive? Does "bulk" mean you get more than 1 for $1.45?

I don't see it mentioning any quantities per purchase, so I think they actually cost $1.45 per button; which seems ridiculous. If this is so, is there a cheaper way to get these?
>>
>>1202250
>what is a price break
>clearly indicated on the page you provided a link to
Buy one, yes, they're $1.45/ea.
Buy 50, they're $1.2274/ea, total of $61.37.
Buy 99, they're still $1.2274/ea.
Buy 100, they're 1.1951/ea, total of $119.51.

Buy 5000+ of them, they go down to less than 88¢/ea.

Those pushbuttons are pretty decent, i've got a drawer full of them at work.
>>
Guys I'm a pleb

my mother owns a house with 2 apartments and 1 back house apartment. Our upstairs tenants lost power to some of their stuff. I head to the basement to check the panel and one of the breakers was inbetween the on/off position. I can't switch it back on and every time I try to go off to on it just makes a pop and some electricity can be seen sometimes. So I just need to go out and get a new breaker and replace that single one right? But I'm a complete pleb and have never tried to do this and it says I shouldn't attempt to do this unless I'm comfortable though my friends aunts husband died messing with a panel so that makes me extremely uncomfy.

I mean its basically like swapping out an ink cartridge from a printer except if your retarded you can die right? The part is only like 10 I think but If I don't know shit I should just hire some electrician to do it right? What is a solid estimate for something this simple? Some indian guy we know who installed new breaker boxes for us is saying like 200 if its a small job without knowing what the issue is.

Should I just say fuck it and start unscrewing and pulling things out. I want to live but I don't really want to pay 100~ for a simple swap.
>>
>>1202335
Show us a picture of the breaker box.
>>
>>1202254
I'm aware of the price break. They just seem much more expensive than I thought.

Maybe I'm a cheap bastard, but even $1 per switch seems way to expensive.

Might try finding a pack on alibaba.
>>
>>1202335
>one of the breakers was inbetween the on/off position. I can't switch it back on and every time I try to go off to on it just makes a pop and some electricity can be seen sometimes.
>So I just need to go out and get a new breaker and replace that single one right?

NO! you should call an someone with more experience or an electrician to find the short in the circuit that is causing the breaker to re-trip and produce sparks in the process.
This is clearly beyond you or you would not have to ask.
>>
>>1202336
>>1202341
Its over

I just got a call and the electricians are in the house checking things out and something with the wiring needs to be replaced and its gonna cost 3-5k. Not sure if we are getting milked but I should have just tried to do it myself and killed myself instead of having to pay a couple thousand desu.

Thanks anyway.
>>
>>1202343
3-5k is seems like bullshit. Make sure you get a second and third estimate.

I never get anything done that costs more than a couple hundred without 3 estimates unless I already know roughly how much it should cost.
>>
>>1202335
circuit breakers are there to protect you from a dangerous condition killing you or starting a fire.

there are two possibilities

1) the breaker is fucked
2) something is faulty and causing the breaker to trip. by trying to force it closed repeatedly you may have damaged it and so should probably replace it anyway!

the 'electricity' you can see is probably the contacts sparking when they close and open under load, the voltage is ionising the air and giving off energy as light.

you can try turning off everything on this circuit, if its sockets then unplug everything, if its lighting turn them all off etc, then push the breaker fully into the off position (some of them require this first) then try turning it on again)

you absolutely should not replace a breaker in a panel unless you know how to properly isolate the feed to the breaker and also know how to properly test that the feed has been isolated. if you have to ask then i suggest you get someone in to do it.

it might be some of the wiring in the walls is causing a fault condition, this might require special equipment to check the insulation resistance and integrity of the wires.

if you are determined to replace the breaker yourself then make sure to isolate and then test for dead by measuring the voltage of any exposed metal part, and any metal part you will contact with tools. use an insulated screwdriver appropriate for the voltage and current you are dealing with, i think the CAT levels change depending on upstream fuse but some other anon will chew me out on this i'm a little rusty.

proof any voltage tester by testing a known live source immediately before and after the circuit you are isolating to pick up false negatives.

but srsly get a elechicken in.
>>
>>1202343
>gonna cost 3-5k
need to tell us more about what the breaker feeds, what currency this is, what the guy looked at, etc
consider dirty or messy jobs sometimes attract rediculous quotes because the guy wants you to turn it down so he doesn't have to do it.
just ask him next time, if he says that the real cost ask if you can do any work to make it easier, if he really needs to replace wires you can do the wall bashing and prep for him instead of paying him to do it.
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 800x800px
Tips for removing shitty DAP siliconized caulk from bathroom wall tile? Scraping it with a razor is sending my patience through the roof and there's around 150-200ft2 of tile.

My friend was redoing the caulk in his dad's bathroom while he was away. He thought he should seal ALL of the grout with shitty Walmart caulk. He couldn't wipe the excess off of the tiles well enough and it looks like shit.
>>
I need to cut a circle out of some plywood, maybe a foot in diameter.

What's the best way to do this? What's the cheapest way to do this?
>>
>>1202361
Depends on the size of the circle.

>best way
Hole saw for smaller holes <6" dia
Jigsaw, for >6"dia

>Cheapest
Handsaw
Patience
Elbow grease
>>
>>1202127
you just answered it yourself. buy empty caulking tubes and buy an electric caulking gun. no more squeezing and the empty tubes are maybe a dollar a piece?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-34cPr5GxdQ

What episode is this? Why is Bart on Lisa's bed? Is Lisa piss?
>>
>>1202373
>Cheapest
>Handsaw
How do you propose that would work?

Cheapest would be two nails and a piece of string or wood offcut.
Make a compass, hold one nail in the middle and scribe around and around and around for hours and hours until you wear through the wood.
>>
>>1202570
>>1202373

Tool wise, what are my options? Jigsaw? Dremel tool? Router?
>>
>>1201796
Spent $10 this time and got the job done.
>>
File: Capture.png (32KB, 899x631px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
32KB, 899x631px
Greetings from /tg/

Setting up a fancy manor in d&d (Running water exists in setting, though only in fancy homes and businesses due to the expense of magic pumps), some of my fellow PCs claim this system wouldn't work but I argue that since our water tank is fuckhuge it should have more than adequate water pressure.

>>>/tg/54115765
>>
>>1202765
Only if the faucet is below the tank and if the pipe is always filled with water. Size of water tank does not matter.
Someone can play a funny prank on you and blow air into the faucet to make it stop working. To make it start again you need to suck on it untill water comes then it will restart flowing on its own.
>>
>>1202783
Hmm, guess I'll stick a simple one-way valve on the pipe leading to the faucet then just to be safe, though I doubt it will ever come up in game unless we get attacked by plumber goblins looking to fuck with our infrastructure.
>>
>>1201779
Just spot welded. Since that's the hollow part of the tube just bolt it back up. Bolt heads to the tube side. Used to fix these all the time when I was playing shinglemonkey on a roofing crew.
>>
Are there any decent alternatives to stabilant 22a? I'm not handy with a soldering iron, but I need to build up some contacts on a board for a chip to connect to.
>>
>>1202343
Taking a wild guess here.
Out dated service feed and load center.
I just got hosed by the codemonster. Then again there were a lot of problems hiding in the old electrics. All fixed now.

If the breakers have a red band (Federal Pacific) then you probably should replace them. http://www.ismypanelsafe.com/fpe.aspx
Though it's hard to tell the bullshit from the bullshit.

For cost try this site. https://www.homewyse.com/
There are lots of others but it will give you a general cost to run with.

>>1202346
seconded

The local sparky supply company usually has a good list of folks to call. Don't get pressured into a buy and don't pay for a service call when all you are asking for is a bid. That's a pressure tactic and complete bullshit.
>>
>>1202351
3M-2153 3M-60343
Though I'm not sure about that with silicone.
>>
is bunkerbro dead?
didnt see a thread or post for a while but was away for some time though

i summon an update bunkerbro
>>
Got any ideas how to make the floating water shutoff in the reservoir of a toilet float more so it stops trickling water constantly?
Mine is one of those crappy ones that's just one big piece of plastic.
>>
File: diaphram washer.jpg (4KB, 225x179px) Image search: [Google]
diaphram washer.jpg
4KB, 225x179px
>>1203038

the usual trick is to bend the arm downward but this is of limited usefulness. the real solution is to change the rubber (or ceramic) parts that stop the flow of water coz they wear out with time.
>>
>>1203038
It's like $10 for a file valve. Yes, it's buyfagging, but you'll likely learn more by replacing it yourself
>>
>>1203069
No, not that part.
This water flow is not caused by the plug on the bottom, but by the floating thing not floating enough to turn off the water when it is at the level of the bowl intake pipe.

>>1203090
Fair enough. Time to go to Lowe's I guess.
>>
File: brasssilencer.png (4MB, 2518x880px) Image search: [Google]
brasssilencer.png
4MB, 2518x880px
Does anyone know where can i get copper particles like these sintered silencers are made of?
These are brass actually, but there are copper ones too.
>>
File: cutlass.jpg (30KB, 630x405px) Image search: [Google]
cutlass.jpg
30KB, 630x405px
Where can I buy 5/8" type M copper pipe that adheres to ASTM B88? The only place I've found something is grainger.com, but its out of spec. I need this specific size for its internal diameter.
>>
File: 2017-07-02 17.12.20.jpg (2MB, 2368x4208px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-02 17.12.20.jpg
2MB, 2368x4208px
>>1197524need to reattach this little ~1/8" aluminum piece to the tower. its for the float pin in a motorcycle carburetor so it doesnt take any stress because the float well, floats on the pin but it does see a lot of vibration from 10k rpm and shock from bumps and stuff as well as being submerged in gas 24/7. what would be the best way to reattach it, solder or braze or jbweld?
>>
File: Untitled.png (117KB, 618x240px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
117KB, 618x240px
>>1203151
Was searching some more, pic related is not quite right...
>>
>>1203152
oof.. that's a hard fix.
exposure to fuel is the gotcha for most adhesives.
I did fix one once by drilling a hole below the pin then forming a bit of aluminum rod/wire like a C to keep it in.
Seen some use alumiweld or similar brazing rods.
>>
>>1203166
yeah thats why i figured jb weld would be the thing to use aside from brazing. i have some plumbing solder on hand, think that would work?
>>
File: couch.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
couch.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
If I get a couch like this...
>>
File: rubber.jpg (57KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
rubber.jpg
57KB, 660x660px
...can I patch it with rubber spray sealant such as this?
>>
>>that shit doesn't work, you can stitch it up and it should hold, or even glue patches over it
>>
>>1203152
TIG
>>
>>1203192
Maybe if you put patches between layers of the rubber? Otherwise there won't be much area holding the thing together. Alternatively you could cut the upholstery into strips to make yourself a gillie suit, provided the leather's dark enough on the underside.
>>
File: download.jpg (3KB, 159x142px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3KB, 159x142px
1) Gaming Headphone goes out
2) Have spare that Aunt used with landline
3) Landphones have a 2.5 mm jack
4) For some reason have a 2.5-to-3.5 adapter
5) Will not work with 3.5 jack on PC

She used to use it all the time so I know it is capable of 2-way communication mic and headphones so why is there this issue and is there anything to be done?
>>
>>1203290
Do you have a multimeter or oscilloscope? If not, good luck diagnosing the problem. But chances are:
A) different line level
B) different 2.5mm wiring standard
C) both

I wouldn't be surprised to see it use a different line level, and I'd be very surprised to see a TRRS 2.5mm jack on that piece of shit. You might have plugged it into the headphones plug and tried to use both the mono speaker channel and the microphone channel as speakers, which might have blown the thing. You might have plugged it into the microphone plug instead, in which case why would you expect to get any audio you fucking idiot. You might have plugged it into a legitimate TRRS socket, in which case it would work if the wiring standards and line level were the same, but chances are they're not because the TRRS standard used nowadays is different from the old one.

You can test for a different line level by measuring the DC resistance from speaker to ground on both. If you get any open circuits then either that's the microphone channel or you've broken it. If the two resistances are wildly different (10 times or more) then the line levels are probably different.

Headset microphones are tricky beasts because they require a bias voltage (typically 2-3V) to amplify the electret mic's output with a built in FET. Even so you'll have better luck fixing the old headset than using that obsolete relic, and that's saying something.
>>
>>1203300
OP very layman via audio, jacks were similar, had an adapter on hand. Everything I'm seeing online says there could be issues like it's softer or such -- just waiting for paycheck to get new headphones I guess. :( Thanks
>>
>>1203311
I've spent enough time trying to fix headphones and mess about with analogue audio to know how much of a pain it is, especially when dealing with someone else's cheap product. It's been a pleasure.
>>
>>1197524
What are some good sites for ordering custom cut parts out of acrylic or similar material?

Ponoko seems to be the best I've found so far, but it's a bit pricey.
>>
>>1203290
Headphones with mic have four poles on the 2.5/3.5mm tip (left +, right +, mic +, ground). The adapter pictured has only three poles (left +, right+, ground).
>>
I got a new M12 cordless drill set. Is it safe to store them with the batteries in the tools or do I need to keep them out?
>>
>>1203402
Pic not the adapter, but I thank you for the heads up.
>>
basically I have an old kitchen and around the faucet, the wooden board is starting to fall apart. I am looking for the cheapest repair and thought I would get a stainless steel plate and glue it with silicone ontop of it, so no mroe water reaches the wood and the decay stops.
I know it's cheap, but might be effective.

how thick would that stainless steel plate be? 2mm? 6mm? it shouldnt be bend by a bit of preasure
>>
>>1203407
It's fine they have a mosfet and voltage protection, store them at half change tho. Grats on m12, try some clone battery packs the work great
>>
>>1197533
Or harbor freight for like $4
>>
>>1198016
Glass pane or stone counter top
>>
>>1202127
Pressurized bug sprayer
>>
Do people still pay for sewing and alterations? Do young people use those sorts of services? I like to sew but I've already fucked up and destroyed (read: slightly modified) my own clothes enough, but what's some more chintzy hipstery pintrest-worthy stuff I could make or do to try to get some local word-of-mouth on my abilities?

Or should I say "fuck it" and just learn to make fursuit heads and gloves

>>1197584
Yea most sliding windows are stronk enough these days to do it naturally but you could also build a shelf and anchor it indoors somehow, even if just hooked onto the inside part of your windowsill or drilled into something that is inside your house that you can toothpaste back to smoothness when you leave

>only have to get to August
desu i wouldnt even bother with nigger-rigging something for just a month and would just use a stand-up fan to stay cool

>>1202570
a hacksaw would be flexible enough to make a curved cut, like you do with bandsaws
>>
>>1202765
Google ram pump
>>
>>1202380
Fucking drill a hole and use a jigsaw, buy one from hazard fraut and return it when done
>>
File: IMG_20170704_081152.jpg (1MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170704_081152.jpg
1MB, 4608x3456px
How do replace with a bigger ball?
>>
File: 2017-07-01 14.51.31.jpg (512KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-01 14.51.31.jpg
512KB, 1280x720px
I unscrewed the bottomplate but I can take it out, because I can't completely screw out the long part of the vice. I can wiggle it around and lift it up a bit but that's it.

How do I properly dissassemble? Nothign else can be unscrewed
>>
Can I put a back splash in the kitchen right on painted drywall?
>>
>>1201683
They make caps for drains. I would be careful because problems could arise and you would end up having to rip your floor up
>>
>>1202351
They have caulk tools at lowes or homedepot. It's angles and has a little point on it to get into corners. Check it out. Think they are like 10 bucks.
>>
>>1203387
I ended up using OutFAB. The main difference is that OutFAB charges a flat rate, while Ponoko charges based on the number of cuts.

Ponoko is normally cheaper, unless you have a really intricate design.
>>
My roommates and I were using too many appliances in the kitchen at the same time yesterday when suddenly the power went off. Or so we thought, since the oven was still on. We flipped the breaker a few times and now it seems like the top plug on the two kitchen outlets are both dead. The bottom plug on both works fine though. Really hope this is making sense.

Is there anything I could do to fix this? Note that I have 0 experience with this stuff.
>>
>>1204087
Replace the plugs. The linking tab might have blown off.this shit is all replacable, especially if safety is suspect after an event.
>>
>>1204087
>Or so we thought since the oven was still on.
Ovens and stoves generally have their own breaker separate from all of the others.
>>
I'm replacing a small section of wall from my shower (about 2'x1'), basically from stud to stud. My problem is that I could only expose about half the width of the stud on the right because I didn't want to leave the rest of the wall just hanging without support, but now I don't think I have enough space to screw my piece of backer board to that stud.

Would it be ok if I attach a foot of wood next to the stud so I can properly screw the board? Does it matter if this is a load-bearing wall?
>>
File: right-angle limb loppers.jpg (39KB, 843x353px) Image search: [Google]
right-angle limb loppers.jpg
39KB, 843x353px
I need this tool. I want to cut finger-thick saplings as close to the ground as possible without scraping my knuckles across the ground. The main thing needed is that the tops of the stumps are parallel to the ground so they don't puncture tires. I'm cutting plum saplings.

Anyone know what this is called, if they exist? Sorry for the bait paint.
>>
I got a free c2d hp laptop off craigslist but one of the screws is stripped and I can't get it out. I tried using a rubberband and even super gluing a bit to it, but I can't get it out. I don't want to hammer anything into it, and I don't have any dedicated tools for removing stripped screws. What's a cheap thing I can try?
>>
>>1204185
No it doesn't matter, yes that'll be fine.
>>
>>1204221
Ground is soft, stumps are not soft. Running them over will move the dirt away and tires will contact them. What kind of garbage tires do you have that'll be punctured by a stick? I mean, unless you're moving at like 60+ mph (210+ kph).
>>
>>1204234
This has gone on long enough. Just break the cover off of the screw, use pliers to remove it, then use a screw with bigger head or one with a washer to put it back together. It's been at least a couple weeks now, just be a man and get shit done instead of making excuses. It was a free fucking computer, it's not going to be perfect.
>>
>>1204255
I see you've never encountered a plum thicket before. They are like the tree version of bamboo.
>>
>>1204260
Normal tires should be able to handle it no problem.
>>
>>1204272
Tell that to everyone who drove something on that field that wasn't on a farm tractor. You can even have them go through your shoes if you don't have protection. I'm sorry that you have no clue what you are talking about and can't answer my original question. You should probably fuck off now, kid.
>>
File: 99251625.jpg (3KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
99251625.jpg
3KB, 300x300px
>>1204279
>kid
At least I'm not a pussy that can't manage to cut down "finger thick" saplings on the ground without weeping. Which as I said, will still contact tires when the soft ground gets out of the way. If you're stuck on being a limp wristed faggot, and also a retard, try a tree trimmer's pole.
>>
>>1204257
ha, are you the guy from /sqt/? I actually got it about 30 minutes ago using a hammer and a set of screw drivers for eye glasses from the dollar tree; I managed to snap off the whole thing. Taking it apart I just applied tape to the interior. Good as new.
>>
>>1204253
Thank you.
>>
How can I cut carpeting so the ends don't fray out, and if that isnt possible how do I prevent them from fraying any further
>>
Some of the bolts snapped in my computer chair and now the back and left armrest are falling off. Part of the bolts are stuck inside the holes.
How do I get them out?

Inb4 fatty
My chair is like this due to my fapping methods.
>>
Worth buying a UPS? I didn't have any power problems yet, but it still sounds like something that could come in really handy.
>>
>>1204396
Unless you foresee power problems on the horizon or you have something that needs to be always-on I would not see the point.
>>
>>1204396
You could probably make one for under $100, especially if you only need it to provide low voltage DC to things like a laptop, phone charger, LED, etc.
>>
File: 1498926072640.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1498926072640.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>1204281
>anon 1: "what is this tool called?"
>anon 2: "this other tool is called a tree trimmer's pole"

Seems like this kid is a moron.
>>
>>1204322
carpet binding
>>
>>1204087
Check the GFCI outlet yet?
>>
File: shopping.jpg (18KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
18KB, 450x450px
Inlaws got patio furniture from Sam's Club and keep jizzing their pants because it's teak.

I can't stand their happiness. Someone please tell me its durability is just marketing bullshit.
>>
File: file.jpg (25KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
25KB, 504x504px
Is there a standard name for cubes with screw holes in them like this one?

Searching "mounting cube" gives me semi-relevant results, but there has to be a better name for them.
>>
I've got a server rack that didn't come with side panels or doors, and I want to put some on there.
I was thinking of using plywood for the walls and doors, and on the walls sandwiching in 1" of open cell foam for sound insulation
>>
File: welding cart.jpg (45KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
welding cart.jpg
45KB, 450x600px
Could I build a resonably strong welding cart like the one in the picture with 3/4" square tubing? Might I need to double it up?
>>
>>1204590
3/4 is fine. double it if you're carrying a miller cp250 or some shit
>>
>>1204497

Not that I'm aware of. Depending on how many you need and if you already have a drill press, might be easier (and definitely cheaper) to make your own.
>>
>>1204548
sounds like you are gonna build an oven. I would use acrylic sheets with some flavor of cap nut. I would also look at racks with walls to see how they handled airflow. its not gonna hurt to put it in a fan with hepa filter taped to it
>>
File: IMAG0883.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0883.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
Some friends broke this bolt that holds the shocks on my tail gate last night.

What's the best way to get this out? I've never had to extract a broken bolt before, but I'm not at all opposed to investing in proper tools.
>>
>>1204624
Left hand drill bits work the best. AutoZone has them for like six bucks. Aisle two, left side, about midway down, somewhere between belly button and nipple high.
>>
>>1204393
Drill a small hole in them , use counter clock wise bit
>>
>>1204626
Sounds good, I'll run down there and pick something up. Thanks anon.
>>
>>1204449
>Someone please tell me its durability is just marketing bullshit.

It's the real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teak

>Uses:
>Teak's high oil content, high tensile strength and tight grain make it particularly suitable where weather resistance is desired. It is used in the manufacture of outdoor furniture and boat decks. It is also used for cutting boards, indoor flooring, countertops and as a veneer for indoor furnishings.

>Uses in boatbuilding:
>Teak has been used as a boatbuilding material for over 2000 years (it was found in an archaeological dig in Berenike, a port on the Indian Roman trade). In addition to relatively high strength, teak is also highly resistant to rot, fungi and mildew. In addition, teak has a relatively low shrinkage ratio, which makes it excellent for applications where it undergoes periodic changes in moisture. Teak has the unusual properties of being both an excellent structural timber for framing, planking, etc., while at the same time being easily worked, unlike some other similar woods such as purpleheart, and finished to a high degree.[28] For this reason, it is also prized for the trim work on boat interiors.
>>
>>1204609
it's only got 2 servers in it, I'd obviously need ventilation if I put sides on it
I'd like to have sound insulation over anything else because it resides in a room with a TV that's used regularly
>>
File: _20170705_225315.jpg (474KB, 972x963px) Image search: [Google]
_20170705_225315.jpg
474KB, 972x963px
New home owner and complete DIY newbie so this may be a simple question.

I've got a fan light with an infrared light switch. When I turn the light on, the bulbs fade in before turning on fully and vice versa when I turn it off.

Am I right in thinking that these are dimmable lights?

I'm planning on replacing the bulbs with LED Bulbs but don't know whether to get dimmable or not.

Pic related, my light switch.

Thanks for any help.
>>
I got a rear bumper in a different color
(Silver) than my car (metallic blue). I want to replace the rear bumper since mine was already damaged when i bought it.

I want to respray this one with the proper spray cans and i already have the exact color.
Is there anything you can advise me to watch out for before i plunge into it? I appreciate it
>>
best way to cut a clean and straight 1/4x2 keyway into a shaft? dont have a shaper or mill or anything really that would make it trivial.
>>
File: 715195996303.jpg (498KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
715195996303.jpg
498KB, 900x900px
Is there a time when NOT to use primer on a wall? Looking to paint a room with a light green. Existing colour is relatively light as well, I had this full can of primer left with the house (pic related). I figure to clean the walls, primer, then use the paint+primer mix. Two coats. Anything wrong with this idea?
>>
>>1204685
I'd say so, there's no real way to get that effect without a conventional dimming circuit, at least no practical way. It's not like there's a downside in buying dimmable LED lights, apart from a minor cost increase.
>>
>>1204607
I see. I don't really have any tools I can make them with, but perhaps I'm asking the wrong question.

I want to join acrylic panels to make a box. The box will be somewhat large and will have a lot electronic of components on the inside, so I'd like to avoid gluing it together.

What's the best way to do this?
>>
>>1204796
>What's the best way to do this?

simplest way is using those lil do-dads you showed. usually they're made of clear acrylic themselves so they're less noticeable. if you have no tools at all, best i can suggest is to use dollar store jenga sets, using wood screws. or kids wood blocks.
>>
>>1204796

Either drill/tap the edges to accept screws, or solvent weld tabs on to do the same. Could also use brackets, depending on how thick the sheets are, but I imagine that might detract from whatever aesthetic you're going for.

Could think of numerous other ways, but they all involve tools that I assume you don't have, given that you can't make a cube with screw holes in it.
>>
File: corner braces.png (434KB, 1258x682px) Image search: [Google]
corner braces.png
434KB, 1258x682px
>>1204796
>>
so the tire on my 9" bandsaw broke a few day ago, it's a cheap mastercraft unit that my father bought 10+ years ago. does anyone know where i can get replacement belts in canada or diy them? i was thinking electrical tape but it doesn't seem like it would have enough grip on it.
>>
I have a chinese mp-3 player that doesn't turn on anymore. It charges normally to 3,7 volts and starts dropping and after a few days it'll reach 0. I think it's a faulty component but i haven't played around with circuits very much. There's one big capacitor that measures the same voltage. Doesn't that mean that it's faulty? Can i check it without LCR meter?
>>
>>1205027

you have a dead/dying LiPo battery like 100's of millions of other gadgets powered the same way. fortunately they're quite standard, so you just need to find another of the same size. if yours has 3 wires and the replacement has 2, you can usually just wire the red/black and ignore the third wire.
>>
>>1205033
Well they are cheap as dirt so might as well get one and try with it. Thanks
>>
>>1204799
Alright. Your post got me to keep up the search.

Eventually I found some.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHQ146V
>>
How easy is it to work (soldering, specifically) with copper foil? (~0.2mm)
How sturdy is it? I'm thinking of doing paper construction-like stuff

Which solder should I get? I have some 97% tin stuff (with flux core)
>>
Should I pay 8 bucks for a metal file? I mean, I don't have one, and it's 8 bucks, but I have no idea if that's expensive or not. It feels expensive. It was at an army surplus store, too, so I feel like there's crazy markup.

Also, on that note, what kind of tactical shit do people buy that I could DIY? I'm too bashful to enjoy mallninja junk but I would be more than willing to tailor tacvests or make holsters out of duct tape or even manufacture night sights (I have lots of leftover glow-in-the-dark material). Do people buy that kind of stuff from cottage industry people, or is the overlap between Etsy and ArfCom negligible?
>>
>>1197798
Oh dear god that looks Horrific
>>
File: unnamed (5) - Copy.jpg (52KB, 477x848px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (5) - Copy.jpg
52KB, 477x848px
where the heck are my filters housed on this behemoth AC/furnace combo? they haven't been changed in 2 years. where i used to live the filters were housed inside the house itself in the separate rooms so this thing looks completely alien to me.
>>
>>1205163
should be on the bottom somewhere. usually its in the horizontal part where the duct work connects to the side/bottom of the furance but with that abortion who knows
>>
>>1205165
>should be on the bottom somewhere

That's a down-draft furnace. It will be on top somewhere - probably in the living area.
>>
>>1205165
>>1205172
thanks guys, yeah, i think i found it inside the house. had never seen anything like this thing before
>>
https://www.adafruit.com/product/997

why the fuck does this use more amps the more voltage you input?

does this mean it has no wattage it takes just wants moar power?

so would I be stupid to use anything other than 6volts if I'm powering it with a buck step down from 18v to 1-17 volt (my choice as it's variable)
>>
>>1205187
>why the fuck does this use more amps the more voltage you input?

Because that's how electronic loads in general work?

It's a solenoid valve. On DC, it's effectively just a resistor. Of course current goes up as voltage does.
>>
>>1205191
huh? nothing works like that
if something pulls 100watts current goes down as voltage goes up. nearly everything works that way
>>
I just bought a swing arm lamp, but I don't need the lighting portion at all. Can I just snip the wire with snippers (Fresh outta the box) or is this thing gonna shock me for the hell of it?
>>
>>1205193
This is a stupid question thread, not a completely retarded what the fuck is wrong with you thread. Seriously, how can anyone be this fucking stupid?
>>
>>1205192
>if something pulls 100watts current goes down as voltage goes up. nearly everything works that way

complete nonsense. there was this dumb-ass on /diy/ that laboured under the same misconception and would blab about it all the time. ''if you half the voltage on a motor, the current will double to make up the difference," he would say. finally i got tired of that and showed proof that he was wrong. maybe this dumbass is back. and is you.
>>
>>1205254
he stated 100% fact.. a motor or literally anything that pulls 20amps under 110volts will pull 10 amps under 220 volts.

pretty basic 101 shit
>>
>>1205254
>>1205298
in fact it says it on every fucking motor spec that exists.

http://documentlibrary.xylemappliedwater.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/22/files/2012/07/IM049R07.pdf

115 volt / 230 volt
13.8 AMP / 6.9 AMP
pretty common knowledge
now give him a real fucking answer why the solenoid pulls more as voltage goes up, or stop posting.
>>
>>1205196
I've been shocked before, even with the cord unplugged.
>>
>>1205301

Unfortunately that pdf does not tell you what you would know if you bought one of the pumps: you either wire it for 120 or 240. So yeah, if you change the load then the current it draws changes, but it's not automatic. If you take a 120 volt design and apply 240 volts to it it does not simply adjust the current downward. Motors are complicated in the sense that it might simply go twice as fast (not desired) or it might burn up or shut down due to thermal overload.

Have you ever actually worked with real objects or is all your experience theoretical? I once heard of an EE professor who refused to believe that some sort of DC motor had no top speed and that you had to control it, so he blew up 5 in a row trying to prove his bogus theory. If I were a typical 4chan troll I'd suggest you find some 120 volt device and plug it into 220 and report back the findings if you are not in the hospital.
>>
>>1205320
This. A component will have a set resistance at a set frequency, and this doesn't vary much from 50 to 60 Hz. You put double the voltage across it, you get double the current thanks to V=IR, and hence 4 times the power. If it's one of those neat switch-mode power supplies that can run off either then I have no idea how those work, but it's probably because they use smart duty-cycle controlling to regulate the voltage. Anything as simple as a motor is not going to have that sort of regulation.

Again, resistance is the constant here, not power consumption.
Also does anybody have a good tutorial for getting started with KiCAD 4.0.6 on macOS? It looks way different from the Windows versions.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
What's the best wattage of peltier for a desktop drink chiller?

I have an old CPU heatsink for the peltier's hot side, and I have a small copper plate I will route a slot in for my temperature controller's probe (pic related)
The drink will sit on top, typically either a 12oz can or a pint of something.
>>
>>1205573
You'll want to insulate around the micro-fridge, otherwise you'd need a 200W Peltier.
>>
File: 60074.jpg (93KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
60074.jpg
93KB, 800x800px
I have a water pump similar to pic related what can I scavenge out of it
>>
I'm replacing the bottom three rows of 4x4 tiles in my shower. Everyone and their mother says there must be a gap of 1/8" between the first row and the tub which should later be caulked, and that's my plan. However, the original installation had a 5/8" gap filled with what I can only guess was grout and some caulk over it. What would be the best way to fill such a big gap? I was thinking of increasing the grout line size from 1/16" to 1/8" to bring the gap down to about 3/8", what do you think?
>>
Question for folks with CNC experience.

How much should I expect to pay a shop to cut 24 rectangles out of a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" birch plywood? With a few router moves and 6 cutouts as well.

How much to do that like... 20 times? I've read 60-120 dollars per hour of machine operation, but no idea how many sheets can be done in an hour. I'm prepared to deliver materials and haul away waste myself.

I know it's more of a manufacturing question, but I'm thinking of trying to market a small run of a DIY project.
>>
>>1205320
> If you take a 120 volt design and apply 240 volts to it it does not simply adjust the current downward.
I'm aware of that.. that's pretty obvious
to compare me to some guy who thought you could hook up literally any voltage to literally any device is as stupid as he is.

none of my information is theoretical, it's all shit I'm working on which is why I came here asking why a DEVICE MADE FOR MULTIPLE VOLTAGES pulls more amps
I've come to learn it's wrong. as a solenoid acts like an inductor and it has a huge current for the first few time constraints
time constant for a inductive resistor circuit is t=L/R, so for example if the coild had 0.005henries of inductance and 1 ohm of resistance, the time constant is 0.005 seconds. there is 5 time constant until the CEMF is fully setup so there is a huge current inside that coil for 0.025 seconds until it tapers of on a log scale
although that isnt nessisarly true either becuase at each time constant the inrush current tapers off, but theres enough information there to satisfy most people

and literally everything I do is from devices I have here with me.. as I have to test them to see how they fucking work before I go out and blow shit up like some idiot professor
I don't go to school for physics or meme theories. I just get the shit done.

if you don't want to help that's fine, but don't reply to me.

so back to the question, why do those solenoids pull more amps the higher voltage they get? Is that not the actual amps they use while on but only their starting amps perhaps?
>>
>>1205339
>but it's probably because they use smart duty-cycle controlling to regulate the voltage.
Yep. They accept any input voltage between 85-260Vac(rms) or whatever, rectify it down to 60-180Vdc, and use feedback from the load side to control pulse width.

>>1205915
>so back to the question, why do those solenoids pull more amps the higher voltage they get? Is that not the actual amps they use while on but only their starting amps perhaps?
I=E/R, just like anon said. They also generate a stronger magnetic field and a stronger pull on the valve with more voltage applied, so might have a snappier action when opening. Since solenoids literally are wirewound resistors, why shouldn't that be so?
Input power ratings are not operational specifications. Usually they are just nominal, informational specs that apply when run under rated conditions (voltage, temperature). If not, they're power dissipation limits which *you* need to take care not to exceed.
>I don't go to school for physics or meme theories. I just get the shit done.
>Ohm's Law has no jurisdiction over me
I used to think I'd disproven Ohm's Law, too. Then I learned about ideal and real resistance and suddenly became a lot more effective at electronic design.
7/10 got a childhood story out of me
>>
>>1205915
>none of my information is theoretical, it's all shit I'm working on which is why I came here asking why a DEVICE MADE FOR MULTIPLE VOLTAGES pulls more amps
>to compare me to some guy who thought you could hook up literally any voltage to literally any device is as stupid as he is.

Maybe not as stupid, but quite possibly just as ignorant...you're unaware of one of the most basic and fundamental aspects of electricity, then get agitated because people deride you for trying to take the "badass", "I just get the shit done" attitude. The most introductory of beginner's electronics tutorials would have given you your answer.

That valve isn't "made for multiple voltages". It was designed to meet the performance specifications at the rated voltage. But, as it's an extremely simple device, it will also work at substantially different voltages with different performance characteristics. This is true, to some degree, of every electronic component or assembly.

Electrically, a solenoid is nothing more than an inductor. Because it's a relatively low-value inductor, at DC or low-frequency AC, DC impedance (resistance) is the dominant factor in current draw. Since current is proportional to voltage in a resistor, as voltage goes up, so does current. It's not that "those solenoids pull more amps the higher they voltage they get", it's "ALL solenoids pull more amps the higher voltage they get", or, generalizing further, "all resistors".

Loosely speaking, all components work this way to some degree. There's a whole world of nuance regarding semiconductors (and never mind all the bullshit that parasitics introduce into real-world designs), but, as far as passive parts go, it's a pretty hard and fast rule.
>>
>>1205320
>I once heard of an EE professor who refused to believe that some sort of DC motor had no top speed and that you had to control it, so he blew up 5 in a row trying to prove his bogus theory

How the fuck? What exactly "theory" had he even come up with?

He would have been talking about a series-wound ("universal") motor. The reasons it has no theoretical top speed are both simple and fairly intuitive for anyone even passingly familiar with how electric motors work. How do you get to be a professor in electrical engineering and not understand something like that?

For anyone interested, a series-wound motor has no top speed because, being series wound, a decrease in armature current causes a decrease in stator current. This results in a weaker magnetic field, which in turn increases RPM at a given voltage ("Kv" will be a term familiar to the RC hobbyists). Increased RPM causes decreased armature current, and...you can see where this is going.
>>
Can I put a metal plate on a plastic box?

Swapping out a ceiling light for an outlet and the shit birds don't sell a plastic cover. All I can picture is this turning into a Tesla coil and zapping puppies and children.
>>
>>1205939
You can actually calculate the effective resistance of the coil as a function of time, which I did some time ago for a capacitor but I can't find the paper I wrote it down on. But it's essentially just solving "X=dV/dI" where "V(t) = V_i*e^(-t*R/L)" and "I=V(t)/R. Theoretically, in the first very small amount of time, your coil's "DC reactance" is far more significant than its DC resistance. But whether this timescale is significant in itself is another matter.
>>
>>1205972
Wait, the current is actually described by "I(t) = V_i/R*(1-e^(-t*R/L))", and it's "X=V(t)/I(t)", not the derivative.

Anyway, you get "X=R*((e^(-t*R/L))/(1-e^(-t*R/L)))" for the inductor, and "X=R*((1-e^(-t/(RC)))/(e^(-t/(RC))))" for a capacitor. Damn I wish we had LaTeX on /diy/.
>>
>>1205967
Are you using non insulated wire? Are you also planning to use a few feet too much wire? Are you then going to cram that extra non insulated wire into the box so that it would contact the face plate? If not, there is literally no problem with using a metal face plate. Stop being neurotic.
>>
>>1206005
Lol. Just looks ghetto. Nowhere to secure the top prongs, and the sides are exposed.

4" ceiling box + outlet + the only semblance of a cover that would fit.
>>
File: IMG_20170708_125833.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_125833.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
>>1206074
Pic related. I don't nessisarily love my in-laws, but also don't want their house to burn down.
>>
>>1206076
It's ugly, but it's fine. Paint it or something. Or you know, since this is do eet yerself maybe get a nice piece of wood and make one.
>>
I want this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60274964/

So I can put some Danish Oil on it and some legs and make it a desk. Problem is it cost $90 to ship it, which bumps up the price to about $288.

Would it be feasible to find someone more local who would be able to deliver a similarly constructed wooden slab, about 8'x2'x1.5" to my house for less, relatively smooth/sanded? Or, all said and done, would it cost about as much or more?

I mean I know you can't give me precise advice since you have no idea where I am (Northeast Ohio, USA) or what's around me, but this seems like a thread where someone would know how much a rectangular slab of would should cost and roughly where I should look.
>>
File: IMG_20170708_145344.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_145344.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1206082
Thanks man, paint will help. Just seems odd to put a plate on that leaves the box exposed.

Was on the fence about swapping boxes, but meh. I'm over it.
>>
>>1206145

look for butcher block counter tops. alternatively, glue up a bunch of cuts and sand it smooth. this shit is so easy anyone could build one.
>>
File: IMG_20170708_145812_01.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_145812_01.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Sorry, wanna be sparky again.

Low voltage garage door wires through the electrical box.

I doubt it's anywhere near kosher, but should I fuck with adding its own new construction box?
>>
>>1204765
As long as sheen going on is same or shinier than existing, primer is a fucking waste
>>
>>1205865
Caulk 1/4" at a time max. Won't cure in bigger volume. Use a caulk shaper to achieve uniformity

>>1206145
Order a tall ass door from Home Depot or go to lumber liquidators and pick up an 8'x25" butcher block top (they come unfinished).

It's always gonna be cheaper to ship something that big to a store that already receives LTL freight than to have the delivery guys deal with it
>>
>>1206145
Or grab 2 2x12s from you local yard and something to strap them together underneath (2x4s, plywood, etc)

This is the cheapest option (~40$)
>>
>>1206149
>glue up
Do you mean stack thinner pieces vertically and glue them? Glue + horizontal doesn't sound sturdy to me but I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

>butcher block counter top
http://www.homedepot.com/p/98inx25inx1-5in-Wood-Butcher-Block-Countertop-in-Unfinished-Birch-BBCT1502598/300688697 e.g. this is $300 + $55 shipping, so the Ikea joint is actually a bit cheaper. I'll keep looking though.

I have a small car and can't haul shit btw, so it's gotta be dropped off at my door.

You can tell I'm an interloper on these boards.
>>
>>1206157
>Caulk 1/4" at a time max.
Are you saying that I could caulk it if I do two passes, or that thegap is too big for caulking?
Would backer rod help?
>>
What the easiest way to fairly securely lock a single file cabinet drawer? I got a 4 drawer cabinet for free, and it has a lock bar to lock all 4 drawers with one lock, but I want 3 drawers to be accessible to people, and I want to keep the last drawer locked. It doesn't need to be Fort Knox secure, I just thought it would be a good place to hide sex toys. I'm hoping there's a way that I can hide that it's locked, and just tell people that it's jammed, but it's not a huge deal. How secure are those child safety magnetic cabinet locks?
>>
>>1206334
wtf why are you storing sex toys at work

anyway, you can get hinged latch thingies that are just a piece of metal with holes to mount by bolt or screw, the hinge, and then a flat strip with a hole cut out. that hole goes over another part that is an L-shaped metal part with holes for bolts in one end and a big single hole for using a lock in the other. I'm sure youve seen one of these before. filing cabinets are pretty unrobust so you could probably piece it with an awl and file the hole to the correct size to install the latch

also just do what i do and hide your sex toys in a normal clothes drawer ffs
>>
>>1206162
>I have a small car and can't haul shit btw
Unless you're rocking a Smart car or a Mini Cooper, I doubt this is true. Try putting the passenger front seat into the full reclining position and see if you can get space for it. Back seats can almost always be folded down, and as long as you have a red flag on the end of the cargo, it's usually legal to leave the trunk/hatch open, so long as it's kept in position.
If all else fails, ask some friends or call around to U-Haul or local car rental companies about renting a van or pickup truck.
>>
>>1206347
Oh, no no no, the file cabinet is at home. It's a nice heavy duty enough one, found a small business that had closed and was Craigslisting a couple of Aeron chairs($300!), asked 'em about the file cabinet too, got me a free file cabinet. Ain't the end of the world if people see what's in it, but if I can hide a pile of Fleshlights and buttplugs for $20 and avoid that awkward conversation, neato. Big exterior latch+padlock is a dead giveaway I'm hiding something, so I'm hoping to find something hidden, or maybe just a small lock like is normally on the cabinet and I can just say it's jammed up.
>>
>>1206399
>hiding being a massive degenerate
>not letting it out for all to see
Life gets a lot easier when everyone knows you're a degenerate. Instead of having to explain all of your quirks, people just treat it as you being you.
>>
>>1205922
>They also generate a stronger magnetic field and a stronger pull on the valve with more voltage applied,
that's literally the only thing said so far that could be the reason.
>>1205939
Not at all, you're just too stupid to follow
>>
>>1205939
What in the fuck are you trying to teach him here?
>all devices work that way
False. If my hair dryer pulls 1000watts and I plug it into my outlet it'll pull 9.0909 amps. That's because my house is lower power than majority of the state which is 120 volts.
IF I GO TO MY FUCKING MOMS HOUSE IT'S 122 VOLTS WHICH IS 8.1967213115 AMPS

YOU DUMB FUCKING C UNT
your fucking post series is fucking cancer. LITERALLY ONLY that solenoid pulls more in it's "threshold"
that's the fucking fundamentals of electronics and very basic. it's really fucking pathetic you don't know that basic shit. dumb faggot
>>
>>1206420

You have to be a troll. Nobody could possibly be this dense.

It's a fucking electromagnet mechanically coupled to a valve. Kindergarten-aged CHILDREN build them, and if they're sharper than the average light bulb, understand, at least on a rudimentary level, how they work.

Meanwhile, you think everyone trying to give you the answer is being obtuse, insult them when they start to get annoyed, then somehow think a casually mentioned tangent is the explanation you're looking for.

But, yeah, no, I'm the one too stupid to follow.
>>
>>1206417
I'm friends with some real prudes who would actually take issue with what I have. Overall, they're great friends and great people, but in the same way that you might just have that one friend you don't talk politics with, it's better for everyone if I just keep that drawer locked. I think I'll just try one of the child safety magnetic cabinet locks and install it with some real adhesive instead of Command Strips.
>>
>>1206425
>False. If my hair dryer pulls 1000watts and I plug it into my outlet it'll pull 9.0909 amps. That's because my house is lower power than majority of the state which is 120 volts.
>IF I GO TO MY FUCKING MOMS HOUSE IT'S 122 VOLTS WHICH IS 8.1967213115 AMPS

How the fuck do these people find this board?

No, you dumb shit, that isn't how it works. You're confusing a plain-old resistive load with a constant power load. You think because something is rated at 1000W, it will always draw 1000W.

Some math and reasoning for...well, not you, because I know you aren't going to be able to follow it, so I guess for everyone else (numbers rounded/approximate):

A hair dryer, made for 120Vrms, will need to draw 8.3A in order to be rated at exactly at 1000W. This means this element inside must have a little under 14.5Ω of resistance. 120V, divided by 14.5Ω, gives you 8.3A of current. 8.3A of current multiplied by 120V is 1000W.

Now, let's plug it in to 240Vrms. The resistance of the heater is the same 14.5Ω, so 240V divided by 14.5Ω is 16.6A. 240V multiplied by 16.6A gives you 4000W.

The ONLY way that a load would LOWER it's current draw in the presence of a higher voltage is if it's full of active circuitry to compensate. This is rare, outside of power supplies. Constant-power loads do not exist as individual components, despite the fact that you seem to think that they're the only kind of load that exists.
>>
>>1206432
I've been here longer than you have
>reddit spacing
wrong website
and yes that is how it works, multimeter and measuring the amps would prove it to you since you don't understand
>>
>>1205152
I just wat a big neck ;__;
There are bodyweight exercises for the neck too, but you can fuck your shit up badly if you make a mistake while doing them
>>
>>1206433
Double carriage returns between paragraphs have been around since the beginning of time. It's not reddit spacing.

You are the redditor fag if you identify it as such.

T. Originalfag
>>
File: 3.png (44KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
44KB, 800x480px
>>1206433

I honestly cannot tell if you are mentally challenged or a world-class troll.

I hope you are a troll, but I doubt it. At any rate, creatures like you make this board entertaining as long as you aren't actually trying to learn anything. I feel sorry for that person who is in this thread and is just learning about electricity.
>>
>>1206441
>>>/reddit/
>>
Shouldn't you Australians be going to sleep soon? Good damn...
>>
>>1206358
>Unless you're rocking a Mini Cooper
Yes, this is literally my car. I just don't think a 98"x24" block is going to get in there and be stable. The car's total exterior length is 144", subtract the obstructions and I'm not sure how many inches of usable interior space there would be (I tried to Google it but can't find it.) Maybe strap the thing on the roof, but considering only the front windows roll down, it would be a long wooden slab secured in one spot, which sounds dodgy as hell in my head.

To be honest, I'm not trying to be super extra frugal here, or I should say I'm not really on a budget. I can afford to spend $300 on the desk surface, I guess I was just checking in this thread to make sure there wasn't a way to get the same exact block of wood for like $50 and end up vastly overpaying because I didn't know what my options were.

So far in terms of getting a block delivered to my house, Ikea actually looks to be the cheapest, but I'm going to call around local places to see if I can't still do better.
>>
File: Home Depot Cabinet Lock.png (175KB, 1235x511px) Image search: [Google]
Home Depot Cabinet Lock.png
175KB, 1235x511px
>>1206334
>What the easiest way to fairly securely lock a single file cabinet drawer?

Ask mom for five dollars.
Ride your bike to Home Depot.
Purchase pic related.
Have your dad drill a suitable hole in drawer.
Insert lock into hole and thread keeper nut on lock.
Attach blade to lock.

If you need advice on where to drill hole, post pic of file cabinet.
(your file cabinet, not google pic)
Also identify which drawer you wish to lock.
>>
>>1206499
Rent a truck? Home Depot rents pickups for $20/first 75 minutes, Uhaul is reasonable, etc.
>>
How do you store your nails, screws, etc.?
>>
>>1206818
In those little jar things that hang from my peg board.
>>
Guys can i still be a rocket scientist even though i'm 28?
>>
File: IMG_20170706_132748.jpg (2MB, 3286x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170706_132748.jpg
2MB, 3286x2432px
>>1197524
Sink drains slow so I took out the stopper and removed a bunch of hair. The rod that holds the stopper in place was caked with rust. I scraped the rust off and put it back in. Should I buy a new one to replace it? Is it a bad idea to just use the old one?
>>
File: 046224018667lg[1].jpg (5KB, 276x276px) Image search: [Google]
046224018667lg[1].jpg
5KB, 276x276px
>>1207087
I had the lug that the ball and cap attach to the drain pipe rust off mine. Went to the home store and bought a kit and replaced everything. The plug lever works so much better now.
>>
so i know how to clean the rust from grill grates, but is there anything cost effective to coat them again to prevent it from rusting for a while longer? it goes without saying it needs to be food safe and heat resistant.
>>
>>1207294
oil

unironically

its how you keep cast iron from rusting out, and as a bonus it makes food taste a lil better
>>
>>1206432
ths and tldr wattage is a safety guideline and not a statement of fact of operation

your 1000w hair dryer is going to melt or otherwise malfunction if you give it more than 1000w. if you bring it to your moms house it will run hotter. in your house it will run cooler. the important thing is the voltage (since your wall outlet is a voltage source not a current source and your thing will draw whatever the total resistance/impedance of your device allows)
>>
>>1207309
so what just spray some oil after cooking?
>>
File: 41PP3YXyl3L._SL1500_.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
41PP3YXyl3L._SL1500_.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
You guys reckon this (handler 210 MVP) is the right choice for a beginning welder, if I'm almost certain I'll end up wanting more capability if I get the handler 140? Or any other suggestions? Also, one review mentioned needing an air compressor for this welder; why would I need that? Googled "air compressor for welder" and didn't yield any results as to why.
>>
>>1207380
Should've mentioned I'll be using it mostly for off road bumpers, skids, frame stiffeners, axle trusses, and more things like that. Also plan to build a car trailer in the future to haul the Jeep.
>>
File: 1489594836180.png (58KB, 754x594px) Image search: [Google]
1489594836180.png
58KB, 754x594px
>>1206425
Resistors can have a positive or negative temperature coefficient of resistance. Nichrome's resistance increases by about 15% from 50degC to 400degC, according to this high school science project:
http://tuhsphysics.ttsd.k12.or.us/Research/IB14/LemiFujiShenKuan/index.html
Steel wire or pure nickel wire has an even higher temperature coefficient of resistance, which you might be able to read experimentally with your own multimeter.
>>
Why does eating seitan seem to make my cum extra thick?
>>
File: 1200px-Butcher%27s_block.jpg (121KB, 1200x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Butcher%27s_block.jpg
121KB, 1200x1015px
I'm trying to find a good premade surface I can use for a desktop. I need at least 7'x3'. So far a butcher block/workbench top seems to be my best choices, and then I can cut it down to size and finish it up myself. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to buy it in the US? Homeless Despot and Lowe's don't have anything that really fits the bill.
>>
How do you cope when no money to get a big enough living space to do diy?
>>
>>1207472
Smaller hobbies.
>>
>>1207546
That sucks though
>>
File: IMG_20170711_093706595.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_093706595.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I got an offic chair for free on Craigslist, but the bottom cushion is shit and very thin. If I wanted to add some cushion, should I just throw a pillow on and be done with it as it is now? The back has little support that point because the seat is higher then.

I don't necessarily want to tear up the chair, but any cushion ideas to attach to the seat would be appreciated.
>>
>>1207555

are you a bat? pls dont take photos in the dark.

anyway, i used an oversized memory foam pillow from the thrift store that was very comfortable and lasted a long time, for very cheap. being oversized, it stayed in place just by friction against the armrests.
>>
>>1207555
Get some kinda denser foam, like a harder yoga mat or something, not that super soft memory foam bullshit. A half to a full inch of that will go a long way, without changing the height drastically.
>>
>>1207472
Get a better job.
>>
How effectively may I mix wood glue and wood filler? I need to fix the badly damaged bottom of a cedar chest.
>>
File: this is fine.gif (2MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
this is fine.gif
2MB, 500x282px
I have a plastic kayak that has sustained gouges in the hull along the bottom. I want to repair them before they become holes. Can I apply fiberglass resin do fill the gouges and renew the hull? If not, what can I use that will renew the hull's integrity?
>>
>>1207719
Use the resin in conjunction with fiberglass mat, that'll be your best bet.
>>
>>1207669

Or does the wood filler act like wood glue anyway?
>>
>>1207723
Thank you!
>>
>>1197524
anyone with experience threading 5mm acrylic and using threadlock on it. also hand tapping M3 into brass, possible?
>>
I don't have a question actually but today I operated a Bobcat for the first time. It was fucking awesome and I needed to post this.
>>
>>1207331
I have cast iron grates on my charcoal BBQ. I season the grates with Canola oil spray ($2 from Walmart). After bbq I dont scrub all the grates completely clean as I want to leave the grease from the food to coat the iron grates until next cook. At that time I heat up the grill, scrape it clean and spray Canola oil before cooking on it again, ad infinitum. After so many coats though the grill just becomes permanently glazoned.
>>
posted this in another thread this thread seems to be more appropriate

For you electricians in this thread, im an apprentice. Do you have any tips for someone trying to cut EMT/rigid straight with a two hand bandsaw? They all come out crooked. I think that doesnt matter, my journeyman is just asking for straight cuts so that I get better, but im not really getting much help in terms of advice. Help a young man out? im getting everything else so far relatively speaking
>>
>>1207728

both brass and acrylic are super easy to tap by hand. even steel is doable unless it's hardened. dont even need any lube if you back up frequently.
>>
File: Portable Bandsaw Table.png (171KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
Portable Bandsaw Table.png
171KB, 520x520px
>>1207778

if you're a girly girl who cant make a straight cut on your own, consider getting a table that does all the work for you.
>>
>>1207664
I can't :(
>>
File: 1483497218990.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1483497218990.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey guys, I need some advice on my garage door
See, I need to replace the garage door motor because it's busted, but I can't tell if modern systems are compatible. I've read that doors that use spring-based opening systems are incompatible with modern motors.
So, for example, from the pictures provided, does it look like I could replace my garage door motor with this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Genie-SilentMax-750-3-4-HP-Belt-Drive-Garage-Door-Opener-3055-TKSV/206934068
>>
File: 1487015677972.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1487015677972.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1208435
Second picture
Please don't mention the ceiling insulation because BELIEVE ME I know, that's the reason i need to get this door to open
>>
>>1208435
>>1208440
That looks like an average garage door tortion bar to me.
>>
>>1208435

if the new motor has a sprocket to drive a chain and can pull 3/4-HP it should be fine. modern or not. motors havent changed much since Christ rode on dinosaurs 2000 years ago.
>>
File: HOW TO OPEN GARAGE DOOR.jpg (865KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
HOW TO OPEN GARAGE DOOR.jpg
865KB, 4032x3024px
>>1208440
>i need to get this door to open
>>
apart from health concerns, why is it a bad idea to use a lead plate as the surface on a workbench?
>>
This thread is well beyond the bump limit.

Use the new thread >>1207858
>>
>>1208539
Oh, thanks anon
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 88

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.