[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys I came across two repair man cases of tubes...no way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20170524_171745.jpg (2MB, 1711x1711px) Image search: [Google]
20170524_171745.jpg
2MB, 1711x1711px
Hey guys I came across two repair man cases of tubes...no way to test em. What do? One Sylvania one zenith, but seems they are all mixed. I have no tube tester nor do I know of any around here. What do?
>>
>What do?
Don't make a whole thread for your stupid fucking problem, that's a start.
Go here:
>>1178011
>>
>>1182630
Thanks for the bump...but considering there is usually a tube general I figured it wouldn't matter. You've been exceptionally helpful so fuck you very much.
Also tube general?
>>
File: astonished tape player.jpg (35KB, 600x576px) Image search: [Google]
astonished tape player.jpg
35KB, 600x576px
>>1182625
So you got a couple of boxes of tubes and no tube tester, well op what you need to do is GET A TUBE TESTER! That is pretty much the only way to tell if they are good.

also most of the tubes in those cases are TV tubes and not worth much. Look for 12ax7, 6v6gt, 5u4, 12sq7, 6sq7, 1L6 (very rare), 35L6, 50L6, 35c5, 50c5, 35w4.

Really these cases contained tubes that went in to things to heavy to bring in to a repair shop (TV's and Consoles).
>>
>>1182650
Thanks for the info!
>>
Even though most will be television tubes some may be usable for odd amplifier designs.

Always usable are rectifiers and diodes
>>
>>1182625
Tubes can be worth a lot of money. I pulled a bunch from an organ worth $10-$20 ea if I recall correctly. I can't test them either, so my plan is to make one of those DIY amps for fun, and swap the different tubes in to see if there is any noticeable difference between them. Sort of like testing a 1.5v battery when you don't have a tester but you need to change the channel...
>>
>>1182625
Either diy or hook up some of the fuys here with tubes?
>>
File: a series of tubes dsc0455.jpg (289KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
a series of tubes dsc0455.jpg
289KB, 1200x800px
A local flea market has a guy that has boxes of them that he sells.

Also found a small box in my dad's basement. He used to work at a place that made them.
>>
>>1182831
I used to go around and pick up free or get paid to remove electric organs from people. Parted out the electronics, made artsy pieces out of parts, and burned the rest. Usually cleared $50-100 on each one. Not a job, but beer money.
>>
>>1182831
no joke. an old victrola radio tube set easily goes for a 120 bucks on ebay. Just the tubes.
>>
>>1182650
Looked through my second case a lil when I got home today. Found I had 12sq7 in there! I may look more closely this weekend and separate them by number to see what all I really have. Thanks again anon!
>>
>>1182625
Resell them if they're any worth anything. I find use for plenty of 6an8s. Sometimes a 6c4 will make it into an amp if it's already there. Radio tubes see little and tv tubes see even less action. Most people aren't going to design around a different tube type. That one anon awhile back had an ultrasonic oscillator cleaner. Pretty neat that he was still using it. If your tubes have a getter and aren't burned in, just assume they're good and accept returns if needed.

>>1183186
This is kinda sad but yeah Hammond, Baldwin, Conn and all those make great audio or instrument platforms. Someone like me picks up the chassis, iron, and extras for 50 where as new that's the cost for the box alone. I'd be looking at 150 for the iron and more parts to buy.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.