[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 75

File: 1494897716581496507298.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1494897716581496507298.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Last thread was old.

Just moved into my first house this weekend. Ive got my fridge and washer setup but when I went to install my dryer, the cord that came with my dryer dosent fit into the out. So I went to Home depot and got a cord that matches the outlet. Only problem is, the old cord had 4 wires ( red,white,black and green) the new cord has 3 wires non of which are colord. Ill post pics to better explain.
>>
File: 1494897841459204516964.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1494897841459204516964.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
And here is the new cord
>>
>>1178013
Check directions. Ground is likely the middle wire.

Hot two outside wires to red and black. Disregard white wire, but cap it with a wire nut as it is still a live wire.

I am not a professional, just some retard on the internet.

read the directions
>>
>>1178033
>Disregard white wire, but cap it with a wire nut as it is still a live wire.
never mind. I was looking at the OP image wrong

Connect ground to the middle bar. Disregard the extra connector on that bar.
>>
>>1178011
You bought the wrong one, dingus.
>>
File: i-kLJVJSz-L.jpg (57KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-kLJVJSz-L.jpg
57KB, 338x600px
>>1178013
Neutral's the middle. L1 and L2 are the two 120V phases on the outside.

The ground strap on the middle leg of the dryer connects N to Gnd. In a wiring situation like what you had, that ground connection should have been removed (neutral floats, connected to ground at the breaker box). Black/Red to the two 120v phases, green to ground, white to neutral.

As long as the middle/neutral lead goes on the neutral/ground lug, the two lines don't matter. Either one to neutral/ground gets you 120v for control circuits and motor, L1 to L2 get you 240 for the heater element(s).

t. just cleaned up and repaird his dryer this weekend
>pic extremely related
>>
Sweet guys, got it all hooked up and working
>>
Wow, a thread was created, conversed back and forth humanly and op was successful!

What the fuck is going on here?
>>
I just scored a gas driven air compressor for $20, However I'm in the middle of cleaning the inch of grease on it and I'm moving the tank around and it sounds like there's dirt inside so I undo the drain valve and there's a shit ton of rust powder that came out (like an ounce or 2 at least) and more inside. I think it's 20-25 gallons, no stickers or anything. Is there any way to
1) clean out the rust powder without rusting it further
2) remove the rust from the walls and passivate the steel
3) make sure im not going to make a 150 psi bomb when I try to use it
The outside has only surface rusting, no flaking or pitting beyond 1 layer or so.
>>
File: IMAG0017.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0017.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
This wall to the left of the shower is completely damp after the shower is used. Is it just water getting out or could it be inside the wall? The being underneath is also rotten
>>
File: IMAG0016.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0016.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
>>1178138
stays like this for hours
>>
File: 2017-05-16 10.03.03.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-16 10.03.03.webm
3MB, 640x480px
hey /diy/ anyone have a fucking clue what this thing is by chance?
>>
>>1178145
no engravings or stamps or any other sort of identifying markings on it either, not even a manufacturer
>>
>>1178138
Thats contained moisture...open a window a crack, look into a bathroom fan, or get a pedestal fan and point it into a corner...
>>
>>1178145
Maybe some kind of old grease gun?
Sticking the end in a bucket of grease and letting the slide pop back may suck in the grease.
>>
>>1178092
Try looking up how people clean rusty motorcycle tanks there's a wealth of info out there
>>
How is rock wool not the same canserous shit as asbestos? Everytime I work with it start coughing wihin seconds of touching it. That thing sends off nasty microscopic fibers all over the place, I still cant believe its allowed.
Could somebody please explain what the deal with it is?
>>
>>1178139
You have inadequate ventilation
>>
How efficient is freeze distillation? I know 40% alcohol freezes around -25c but some alcohol will be always trapped in the frozen water. To what point would it be efficient distill before the alcohol trapped in the slush would be too much?
>>
>>1178292
But what is the specific issue I now have?
>>
>>1178164
Never thought of that, I'll give it a shot. Seems like a weird grease gun though, maybe for like 1 specialized thing?
>>
>>1178285
It's not as dangerous as asbestos but still breathing it all around fucks you as well, it might take longer to actually get legit symptoms. I think asbestos sticks around in your lungs longer as it's harder to break down naturally in your body.
>>
File: WP_20170516_23_40_24_Pro[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170516_23_40_24_Pro[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
Are the teeth on this specifically for crimping Dupont terminals?
>>
>>1178439
Yes, they are for dupont and other unshielded crimps
Like if you ripped the plastic coating off of a standard spade crimp, you could use it.
>>
What are signs that someone tried to picklock my house lock? My mom noticed today that it was very difficult to put the key in there today, and it was not like that this morning. It feels like it just hits the first pin like a wall, but with enough shimming I can get my key in there all the way and open it, this is a kwikset door lock.
>>
>>1178470
If someone bump keyed your lock, it can fuck it up real quick. But youll see that someone slammed a key into it and it nicks up the faceplate.

Kwikset locks can be picked in seconds and arent hard at all to get into.
If someone wanted to lockpick it, they would have gotten in real quick.

In my mind, if nothing was touched or stolen, its probably just a worn out lock.
Nobody lockpicks a house just to take nothing and lock it back up.
>>
File: sulfator.png (37KB, 280x258px) Image search: [Google]
sulfator.png
37KB, 280x258px
I have an old car battery that gives fuck all for current and drops below 6 volts when load tested. I'm thinking it might be sulfation because topping off the water didn't help. This guy claims you can just use a 14-15vac transformer and rectifier to make pulsed DC and it will desulfate batteries provided they're not too far gone. Is this legit or bleach and ammonia Crystals tier?
>>
File: hi-low charger.jpg (29KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
hi-low charger.jpg
29KB, 500x350px
>>1178633
There's also this one that looks to be a capacitive dropper (and the operation description sounds that way too). He uses different capacitor values to select charging current and he even included a makeshift shunt. He said it's constant current and voltage can run all the way up to 120v+. Wouldn't that wreck the battery?
>>
I need to cut a patch panel out of the floorpan of a junkyard jeep cherokee. There are no power or air hookups nearby and I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. What hand tool is going to give me the easiest time cutting out a roughly 1'x1' sheet from a floorpan and transmission tunnel?

I am also looking into what my friends and family could loan me as far as battery power tools so that's covered. Just looking into what cheap hand tool I could get for this if nobody lends me a lipo grinder.
>>
>>1178011
WHY THE FUCK CAN I NOT START A FUCKING THREAD? IS IT BROKE OR IS IT ME?????

Cannot upload pics of any kind at fucking all reee
>>
>>1178716
First year on 4chan?
>>
>>1178716
You need a minimum of 10 quality posts and be approved by a mod or a gold account before you can post threads and images fuckin newfag
>>
File: desulfators.jpg (85KB, 500x936px) Image search: [Google]
desulfators.jpg
85KB, 500x936px
>>1178633
>Is this legit or bleach and ammonia Crystals tier?

The first pic is the same as common battery chargers before the new "computer controlled charging" chargers of late.

It may help some with slight sulphation but the battery will never be 'good-as-new'
Commercial de-sulfation devices are available and most use very brief higher voltage pulses.
The type your first pic shows would take longer to get the same results if it worked at all.
I'd use one diode instead of a bridge to get a 'rest' period between pulses.

For >>1178636
>Wouldn't that wreck the battery?

The battery "drops below 6 volts when load tested" so it's already wrecked.

When you first connect the device in the second pic the voltage across the battery terminals will be high because the battery internal resistance is high.
Once it begins to charge the internal resistance will drop and the voltage across the battery terminals will fall.
The current limited by the capacitor(s) will drop the voltage to the battery across the capacitor(s).
I'd use only one diode on this circuit too for desulphation. For a charger, I'd use the bridge.
I assembled a similar circuit (without the ampmeter) using an incandescent lamp instead of capacitors.
The current limit was chosen by lamp wattage. (40W ~1/2A - 100W ~1A)

Expect wailing and gnashing of teeth about the dangers involved and how you're about to kill yourself using the transformerless version.
Just be careful. Don't touch the battery or any wires or parts after it's plugged in.
Don't connect or disconnect it or any other battery charger while the charger is powered.
The danger of this is sparks igniting the hydrogen gas given off by charging batteries.
>>
>>1178335
Not very. The azeotrope (point at which you can no longer remove more water from the alcohol) is very high proof but the temps are impractically low. It's not very good at all unless you live up north and you want to go outside to skim ice off of your Applejack at -25. Also you can't separate methanol from ethanol by this method so it can be pretty risky
>>
So I find myself with a lead for free pallet rack beams. I could probably get anywhere from 2-12 for free, any more than that and I would probably have to pay a few cents on the dollar for up to ~100.

I was thinking about using them as raw stock for welding and bolting together to make strong beam for attaching a chain fall too.

Will these work the way I want them too? their ratings seem extremely high for their relatively thin gauge.

Also any other ideas for what these would be good for other than just raw metal beam stock?
>>
File: 91rA91AcypL._SL1500_.jpg (498KB, 1500x1447px) Image search: [Google]
91rA91AcypL._SL1500_.jpg
498KB, 1500x1447px
I posted before a long time ago but haven't been needing one til now. I need a respirator to protect myself from Drywall dust and plaster. I assume I would get a respirator and get the cartridges that are best for this application (which would be?).

I was curious if anyone had any preference for brand or other variables. All I care about is that I'm able to easily get various cartridges. Don't want to spend a fortune, but I'm certainly open to suggestions
>>
>>1178918
forgot to ask the best place to buy. I probably won't use this thing a whole lot though if I have it I may discover other applications with which to use it. I imagine prices won't vary too much. I do have amazon prime and a local wally world
>>
>>1178285
Rockwool sucks for sure. But, the actual fibers you inhale don't cause your lungs to form cysts, which is what kills you.
>>
File: 00P0P_Jh2pj5anhc_1200x900.jpg (67KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
00P0P_Jh2pj5anhc_1200x900.jpg
67KB, 600x900px
any issues with using 100 gallon propane tanks in a 150 psi air system? dude near me is selling 2 for $40 each which is an absolute steal. of course beforehand i would have them tested to make sure they wont explode. i was thinking for plumbing i would turn the tanks upside down and feed them from the bottom so that any condensation would collect in the brass pipes rather than in the tank itself and just put the drain valve on the lowest point of the inlet pipe so i wouldnt even have to drill or weld on the tank itself.
>>
>>1178011
>>1178013

The ground goes where the yellow wire is on the machine.
The other two can go wherever the fuck they want.
Source: guy that installs dryers on a daily basis.
>>
>>1178941
The threads on the propane tank valve are opposite normal threaded pipe/tubing that are used on compressed air systems. I've never seen an adapter for the different threads.
>>
>>1178947
i would remove the gas valves and hook pipe directly into the body. worst case i pay a machine shop a couple bucks to lathe me up a custom adapter
>>
Guy that bought the rusty gas driven compressor here. I'm going to do hydrostatic testing myself because no one in my town does anything other than high pressure gas cylinders. I've read about the pressure washer trick for hydrostatic testing and I'm going to do that. The data plate on the tank says it's rated for 200 PSI so does that mean Duty rated at 200 PSI as in it can regularly take that from the compressor or is that the maximum safety limit is 200 PSI and like a pressure is probably a 150 or 125? I have no idea because there are no stickers or marks on this thing identifying it's pressure or flow. What should be the max safe psi I can overcharge it to to verify its integrity? Like 250 or 300?
Also I managed to pop off the large end plugs and take a peek inside and it's not as bad as I thought, no significant pitting but there is definitely rust more than a layer thick. Dont think it should affect integrity however. What's the best way to wash all of the rust off? Muriatic acid?
>>
>>1178976

Plate ratings, unless otherwise specified, are working parameters. Tank's rated for 200PSI.

Minimum safety factor is usually 2. 3-5 is common. Test it to at least 400PSI.
>>
>>1178979
Got it thanks. Time to go get a hydraulic pressure gauge
>>
I got a 1000L hard plastic tub I want to use as a pool during hot summer days. How do I keep the water clean and fresh for at least a 7-10 days? I'll take a shower before I get in and I'll cover it when I'm not using it but I also want to keep it free of algae and mosquitoes.

Wat do
>>
>>1179005
Easy way is chlorine but I don't know how that would interact with the plastic. Hard way is to use a pumping system to cycle the water around through a filter. Hell just keeping the water moving should be more than enough to at least keep the algae away and probably mosquitoes too since they like standing water. Don't even have to bother cutting holes to run the plumbing either, just use some wide PVC on either side of the pool for the inlet and Outle and just run it over the top down to the bottom. If it has a spigot built in just use that for the pump inlet.
Bonus it makes water changes easier, just use the pump to suck out the old water (if it doesnt have the spigot)
>>
Sounds expensive though, I got the tub for free so I don't care too much about it. I'll ask in a pool store for something softer than chlorine, I guess. Thank you.
>>
>>1179013
You can get a decent pump for 200-250, piping and cement will likely be 150 or less, plus the cost of a simple sediment filter and housing. Betcha you could do it all for $400 or less.
>>
>>1179013
Bromine, for hot tubs.
I'd treat it like a hot tub. pH and Br levels.
>>
File: 1284453962403.jpg (59KB, 288x396px) Image search: [Google]
1284453962403.jpg
59KB, 288x396px
>>1178011

One for machinefags:

I need to replace a reed valve in an air compressor pump. I hear blue tempered shim stock is good for this.

But what's the best way to cut it, bearing in mind that it's critical the stock remain as flat as possible to ensure proper sealing against the seats. My current thinking is a dremel with an abrasive wheel and some coolant, but I'm reading that shears would work fine/might be better. I can't help but think they would bend the edges, though.

wat do?
>>
File: 20170518_102024.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_102024.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
what kind of screw is this /diy/? my first thought was a tri wing but the angles are all wrong

sorry if image is rotated in advance
>>
>>1179158
You'll need a security bit kit to undo that...
>>
>>1179158
leave it alone, Tyrone
>>
>>1179210
i want to put an ac in my room and this is the only other window aside from the fire escape in my room but it has security bars on it, the fucking window faces a god damned wall and i live on the fifth floor i fail to see why it would need these bars
>>
Can you use electrolysis to remove iron from water? I have a 12v 75-150 amp power supply to use
>>
File: IMAG0305_1.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0305_1.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
How do I guesstimate the capacity of this tank without actually filling it with water? The main body is about 30" long weld to weld and 15" in diameter, each rounded end is about 4" long (not counting plug and bung) and tapers at something like a 14° angle.
>>
Stain removal ????

I spilt pre workout on my carpet and I was able to get some of it but there is a noticeable pink splotch were it was spilt. Any tips ?
>>
>>1179433
33 gallons seams reasonable
>>
>>1179436
I'm sorry, 26 gallons
>>
>>1179437
Many thanks
>>
I'm making a grill out of carbon steel sheet.
What's the best kind of paint for this thing?
What's the best price/ratio kind of paint for this thing?

Much appreciated.
>>
>>1179450
They have grill paint good for over 1000° at Walmart
>>
>>1179459
>tfw 3rd world
Have a brand/name to go with that?
Thanks m8
>>
File: IMAG0306_1.jpg (993KB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0306_1.jpg
993KB, 2304x4096px
>>1179473
Might have to order it or something similar in your case
>>
File: guestimate to gallons.png (68KB, 717x1326px) Image search: [Google]
guestimate to gallons.png
68KB, 717x1326px
>>1179433
>How do I guesstimate the capacity of this tank without actually filling it with water?

cylinder so find the area in sq inches
multiply by length gives cubic inches
convert cubic inches to gallons
>>
>>1179474
U r da bes
I'm sure I can't get my hands on that
Have a nice one
>>
What is the difference between acetone and naphtha? I'm trying to remove an acrylic finish from a leather bag that didn't quite go on right.
>>
I'm about to buy a $20k house in a nice area of a shitty city. I have essentially no /diy/ experience, but think this house would be a great place to build a foundation. I'm offering very close to the asking price because I really want to house and am afraid of being quickly outbid by an investor if I try to bargain for a lower price. Many nice homes in the city are being bought within the first week on the market.

The basement is the only major drawback as it's covered in wood paneling on top of cinder block and is rampant with mold. I'd plan to strip it all out, bleach the walls, coat with a water-resistant sealant, throw in a de-humidifier, and add soil around the house and adjust the gutter spouts to improve drainage around the house.

Am I being a fool? I can afford to take a loss in the long run, but I've taken such a huge jump into something like this. What are the odds that this mold/water problem costs me thousands of dollars instead of some elbow grease and time? The first floor baseboards stand about 18in above ground level and don't appear to have any wear whatsoever.
>>
>>1179557

Acetone is a specific compound. Naphtha is mix of waste hydrocarbons, usually from petroleum refinement.

Never tried naphtha, but I know acetone is a fairly good solvent for acrylic compounds. MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) is better, but isn't as readily available.
>>
File: IMG_20170518_180513.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_180513.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Could I get some input on planning my new project?

Walked by this yesterday at a restaurant and they gave it to me. Think it was a stand for an old dual fryer setup. 3'x6' with nice adjustable SS feet.
>>
>>1179643
It's 2" angle iron - was thinking of turning it into an end table very similar to this, only smaller, rectangle, and more super awesome. Thoughts?

I don't have a spot in the out to put it atm, so it may be a flip.

Got all the appropriate tools.
>>
>>1179645
>I don't have a spot in the out to put it atm
I'm a native English speaker - honest.

'I don't have a place in the house to put it, ..."
>>
>>1178011
I made some knee skates by fastening some dolly wheels to knee and shin pads. The worked a little bit when I tried them out at the skatepark but I need them to cruise a bit better. What can I do to increase the speed of my knee skates?? More wheels?!?
>>
File: IMG_20170519_172448.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_172448.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1179643
A day later
>>
>>1178709
I still need an answer to this. Shears? Nibbler? What?
>>
>>1178709
>>1179893

Personally, I'd do it with an angle grinder in one hand and and a fire extinguisher in the other.
>>
>>1179900
I already said there's no electrical. It's the middle of a JY.
>>
>>1178065
:)
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (318KB, 1920x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
318KB, 1920x1600px
>>1179893
I bought pic related for air conditioner sheet metal work.
My grandson bought a Camaro with a bad fuel pump. (in tank pump)
Instructions were to remove the drive shaft and move the rear axle to get to the top of the tank which was under the 'trunk' floor.
I pulled the carpet back and cut three sides of a square out of the floor to access the fuel pump.
EEZE-PEEZE

I've used it to cut metal on a pole-barn and other things since.
It's getting some wear so I may buy a new one.
I feel I need one on hand now.

Use cordless drill to make a small hole
Stick the tooth through the hole
Push forward and squeeze the handles
A strip of metal curls up in front of the tool
The 'kerf' is about 1/10 of an inch.
>>
>>1179934
Perfect. What exactly is this called?
>>
>>1179937
His specifically is Bergen model 1752.

Generally it's called a nibbler. The Bergen is actually a little interesting because it's got teeth to grab and push the metal up. NIbblers are usually just a single step that pulls up a nibble of metal through a die.
>>
>>1179943
Much appreciated. This floorboard repair is turning out to be easier to do than I thought.
>>
File: sheet metal nibbler.png (625KB, 1260x627px) Image search: [Google]
sheet metal nibbler.png
625KB, 1260x627px
>>1179937
The one pictured is not the brand I bought - it's just the style/type I got.

Google 'sheet metal nibbler'
Select [ Images ]
Start looking for this type and find one at a price + shipping that suits you.
>>
File: 115828.jpg (11KB, 600x242px) Image search: [Google]
115828.jpg
11KB, 600x242px
>>1179937
>>1179993
>The one pictured is not the brand I bought - it's just the style/type I got.

This is the name/brand/description of my actual purchased one.

AES Industries 3900 Sheet Metal Nibbler with Wire Cutter AD3900

The thingy on the back is a wire cutter.
>>
I'm going to ghetto rig a tube system to my air conditioner output, where should I put the duct fan? at the exhaust end so the fan is pulling down the whole length of the tube (12')? or in the middle so it acts as a booster?
>>
I'm completely ignorant about electricity and I'd like to learn enough to eventually get into basic hobbyist electronics. What would be some decent learning resources to get started with?

I don't mind theory and I enjoy reading books. Purchasing stuff is also okay.
>>
>>1178145
I'm pretty sure that's a rivet gun
>>
>>1178918
Niosh filters
>>
>>1178138
The wall is colder than the steam, so it condenses onto it. Proper ventilation helps, especially if you turn on a heater after you're done showering.
>>
>>1178976
Uhh actually ANSI test pressures require you to test to at least 750 psi
>>
>>1179273
Get a magnet
>>
>>1179557
Acetone is like a nail polish remover. Naptha is a low quality gasoline
>>
>>1179905
Battery operated grinder or sawzall.
>>
File: 999999-849023060208.jpg (371KB, 1079x1500px) Image search: [Google]
999999-849023060208.jpg
371KB, 1079x1500px
I'm looking for a material for a computer case I'm building. The last side has a 11.5" x 11.5" hole that I want to fill with a metal screen or something that won't impede airflow. Ideally something cheap and lightweight. I have no desire to drill a bunch of holes in sheet metal.

The grill on pic related would be nice, but I have no idea how to get a square foot of that material.

Anyone have an idea?
>>
File: SG1839B-2.jpg (190KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
SG1839B-2.jpg
190KB, 500x432px
>>1180250
Or maybe something like this.
>>
File: s-l1600[2].jpg (226KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[2].jpg
226KB, 1200x1600px
>>1180250
ebay/AMZ 'perforated aluminium grill(e) sheet metal' - reduce word count as necessary - cannot be that difficult, shirley. If you were looking for cheep, may find someone selling speaker grill(e)s or similar, heavy-duty pro speaker cab builds use that a lot, or, scrapyard/metal recycling, if nearby - you probably want new for this tho.
>>
>>1180248
I also said I had that covered in that I was going to ask around about borrowing such a thing but I'm not looking to spend quality cordless tool money this weekend.

I also have bigger problems at the moment as the rainstorms this morning allowed me to check for leaks. There is a leak.
>>
>>1179579
Everything you've said sounds good. Do your water adjustments and wait a few months to make sure there isn't a problem before trying to do anything major to the area.

Make sure to spray the joists and ceiling when you apply the mold resistant paint.
>>
File: Shitty doorframe.jpg (251KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
Shitty doorframe.jpg
251KB, 1500x844px
Should I varnish or paint these door frames?
>>
>>1179067
depends on how thick the shim stock is

i would cut it out oversized with shears or a scroll saw, then clamp it to a thicker plastic or wood backing so it doesnt flex and bring it to final dimension with some needle files

>>1178709
oxy torch is prob your best bet as long as all the flammables are gone

>>1179273
dissolved iron? there are tons of products used for removing iron from wellwater systems, most are softeners that use ion exchange or precipitate and filter the iron out. look up greensand

>>1179579
if you find yourself in way over your head, the land value should still be enough to recoup your losses if its in a nice area

>>1179830
more wheels = more friction = less cruise

try cleaning any grease/gunk out of them and adding some light oil

>>1180003
youll get the most bang by putting it at the end

>>1180210
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/

i found this really helpful when i started dicking around with pixies

>>1180232
acetone (nail polish remover) is good at thinning/dissolving plastics, especially polyester resins and cyanoacrylates

naphtha (lighter fluid) is more volatile and works well for degreasing and dissolving waxes

the best solvents for acrylic afaik are methylene chloride or methyl ethyl ketone, dunno how harsh they are on leather tho

test em on a hidden patch first to make sure they dont fuck it up even more

>>1180250
you can find it on amazon

industrial & scientific > raw materials > metals & alloys > [insert material here] > sheets > perforated sheet

a 12x12" steel perf sheet is $15-20, same for stainless

>>1180312
paint em boi, unless you love sanding
>>
>>1180333
>paint em boi, unless you love sanding

Thanks, I don't.
>>
File: 71d1JfjYPZL._SL1500_.jpg (204KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71d1JfjYPZL._SL1500_.jpg
204KB, 1500x1500px
How much power does a wall wart draw when idle?
I have to use a little optical DAC to get an audio signal from my ps4 to my speaker system, and it's powered by a 5V wall wart. Ideally I don't want it sipping juice when the PS4 isn't in use, so I thought I could put a switch inline with the DAC power cord, eliminating any idle current draw (from the DAC), but will the wart itself still be sipping energy?

pic related is what I'm using.
>>
>>1180312
varnish. sexier

sand heavily
>>
Can you guys help me identify what size of battery this is? It's 10" x 7.25 x 6.25 (width height depth) and has side posts as you can tell
>>
File: IMAG0312.jpg (3MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0312.jpg
3MB, 5376x3024px
>>1180383
Fucking clover
>>
>>1180369
>How much power does a wall wart draw when idle?
Short answer : some
Longer answer : depends on the design of the wall wart. Measure it to find out.
>>
>>1180369
If it's a switching wall wart like the one pictured, probably not much.
>>
>>1180333
>>>1180250 (You)
>you can find it on amazon
>industrial & scientific > raw materials > metals & alloys > [insert material here] > sheets > perforated sheet
>a 12x12" steel perf sheet is $15-20, same for stainless
... and 15 bux shipping.

But thanks for the cue. I hadn't thought to check Amazon. I generally avoid them.
>>
>>1180402
And if its linear, probably not much either.
Old style ' burn' extra voltage, power dissipated is current x voltage dropped so the more power you draw the leds efficient it becomes.
Smps are designed to be most efficient at a certain load, typically 80 to 90 %, at low power it's using the same power to idle as it uses under load, so its a much larger part of the pie at no load and therefore less efficient although the actual power lost doesn't change.
>>
>>1180384
12v DC car battery bought in August of 15. You're welcome.

What's it matter?
>>
File: be6.jpg (13KB, 224x216px) Image search: [Google]
be6.jpg
13KB, 224x216px
>>1180424
>>
File: IMG_20170520_181917.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170520_181917.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>1179868

Little grinding and paint.

Eyeing a slab of walnut for the shelves - could use some thoughts as to if I should add a lip to the top or not. Also, thoughts on feet? Wife vetoed those SS adjustable ones - too industrial. I thought it paid homage to the original purpose.
>>
>>1180425
The only way to truly know is to jumper clamp your nips.
>>
I need a good adhesive. I'm just installing a tach on my mini Harbor Freight lathe. I need to glue a flat magnet on to a round shaft. It'll frequently be exposed to WD-40 and Vactra 2. So, nickel to steel, some gap filling, figure 2 inch diameter 5k RPM worst-case for forces applied to it, but I'll be in the line of fire if it fails.
>>
>>1178011
i have a shitty old car battery i got for free that wont hold a charge. i want a new shitty walmart battery. of course they dont have the same group size at the only walmart in town. will they still take the shitty old battery for the core charge on the shitty new battery?
>>
>>1180436
epoxy should work, it has great tensile strength and chemical resistance

make sure you rough up the shaft a bit and clean both parts thoroughly to get a good bond. if the connection does fail itll be from poor surface bonding

make sure its a good quality two part epoxy, and keep in mind that generally the longer it takes to cure the stronger it will be. those 5 minute epoxy kits might cut it but i would get something better just to be safe
>>
>>1180476
Oh, I was definitely assuming some sort of two-pack stuff, probably epoxy, but I was looking for specific suggestions. Like, Loctite 3090 or 660 or something.
>>
In typical residential wiring, does it actually matter if you plug too much shit into a single outlet if it's going to be on the same circuit(breaker) anyway?

I've got 1 PC, 2 Monitors, 1 5-port switch, 1 AV receiver, 2 lamps, and a small fan.

Because I have two UPS (neither of which actually has a functional battery in it) both monitors, the PC, the switch, and the desk lamp going through a single two-plug outlet. It would simplify things if I put the amp on the UPS as well, but I'd like to know that won't cause any issues.
>>
File: download.jpg (1KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
1KB, 128x128px
>>1180524
Sparky here. Outlet fires are no joke. They happen more than people think and they're all caused by the same thing. Cheap shit plug multipliers. pic related.

If you plug a high draw device directly into an outlet you're golden. The device (I'll assume is made correctly) and the outlet are rated for the wattage. You plug a high draw device into a cheap plug multiplier so you can also have a clock and a lamp plugged in too then we have a problem. They get hot, melt, short, catch fire, and burn part of your house down.

If you use a decent power strip or a fuses UPS then it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>1179490
>I can't get my hands on that
get the metal hot as fuck and douse it in oil
>>
>>1180528
Great, thanks. They're older APC UPSs so I think I should be fine. It's been going like this quite a while, I feel like the amp shouldn't be too big a deal.

While I gotcha here...

A while back, I had a small issue with a power strip (better than the pictured multiplier, probably not by much.) where I had a space heater plugged into it (to extend the reach to a free socket) and I was eating...in the vicinity. Not like directly over it. But a crumb got into contact with the hot prong, and smoldered for a minute or two. The socket on the powerstrip was a little warped and scorched, and to my surprise, the socket on the wall that the power strip was plugged into was also a little bit scorched.

So, is that socket off-limits now? The entire outlet? Or would I have seen a problem with the wiring by now just because it's on an active circuit?
>>
>>1180533
I would replace any warped outlet and throw away the melted power strip. Outlets are so cheap. 50 cents for cheapos and a buck for good quality. No reason to risk it.

In the mean time if it is just one socket on a duplex outlet that's warped I wouldn't have a problem using the other socket of the outlet.
>>
>>1180537
For a layman is replacing a duplex outlet a simple swap? Turn off the circuit breaker, of course. Any particular hazards otherwise?

My concern was more for the wiring in the walls. Does it have current running through it even with nothing plugged into that outlet?
>>
>>1180539
>Does it have current running through it even with nothing plugged into that outlet?
If you turn off the breaker you are fine. Do that.

As soon as you touch a live wire/outlet and you are grounded YOU are the thing plugged into an outlet. That why people get shocked when they do stupid shit like stick a butter knife in an outlet or something. You become a path for the electricity to travel along. Same thing will happen if you accidentally bridge the live and neutral wires. Even professionals that do 'hot work' make mistakes and get killed every now and again. An amateur should never do it.
>>
>>1180539
Replacing an outlet is pretty simple. The wires are screwed or pushed into the back of it. Unscrew them and move them to the new outlet. I'm sure there's a million youtube vids for it.

The wire in the wall should be fine. The only way a melted outlet can hurt the wire is fire. The outlet in question might have current running through it with nothing plugged in if it is in the middle of a circuit and you have something drawing current downstream of it. Even then the outlet would have to be deformed really bad for the internals to short out. If that happened the breaker should trip.

A lot of outlet melting/fires happen because bad electricians put shit 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp circuits. Spent the extra 20 cents and get a 20a rated outlet.
>>
>>1180547
>>1180542
Will do, thanks for the info.
>>
File: max4400rec[1].jpg (7KB, 210x182px) Image search: [Google]
max4400rec[1].jpg
7KB, 210x182px
>>1180547
>Spent the extra 20 cents and get a 20a rated outlet.
20 amp outlets often have a different socket type. Picture related, NEMA 5-20. If you put a 20 amp outlet on 15 amp wires someone might think it is rated for 20 amps and overload the circuit. Best case this will trip the breaker. Worst case it will cause the wires to overheat and start a fire.

Do not put NEMA 5-20 outlets on a circuit unless everything else on the circuit is also 20 amp rated. Wires, breakers, and even other outlets.
>>
>>1180528
>>1180537
Any idea if Tripp-lite stuff is shit? And I assume Eaton is a solid brand for rough electrical stuff, or is it shit store brand?
>>
>>1180582
as the anon with the issue...
Okay.

To be perfectly honest this house is quite a mess, but we've never had a real issue with the wiring, so I can assume everything is 15a if it has the standard sockets?
>>
File: IMG_20161229_171316400-L.jpg (98KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161229_171316400-L.jpg
98KB, 800x451px
>>1180589
>Tripp-lite
>shit
pick one

>>1180589
>Eaton
also good stuff.
>>
File: perforated metal.png (106KB, 738x390px) Image search: [Google]
perforated metal.png
106KB, 738x390px
>>1180252
it's called perforated metal - check at the hardware store
>>
>>1180756
I did. They didn't have anything.
>>
>>1180547
>>1180537
>>1180528
Here.

>>1180582
>Do not put NEMA 5-20 outlets on a circuit unless everything else on the circuit is also 20 amp rated. Wires, breakers, and even other outlets.

False. 210.21(B) of the NEC allows 20a receptacles on 14 awg/15a branch circuits since the over current protection device will protect both the wire and receptacle. This is called derating and is done all the time.

>>1180589
Only Tripp-lite I've used was fiber media converters. They're not a go-to brand in my neck of the woods.

>>1180609
>Eaton also good stuff.
Agree'd. Eaton, Siemens, slightly lesser degree Schneider, all good stuff.
>>
>>1180795

Wanna cite me the exact portion of 210.21(B) on that? I'm finding the permission to put 15A receptacles on 20A circuits, but not 20A receptacles on 15A circuits.
>>
File: table.jpg (20KB, 430x211px) Image search: [Google]
table.jpg
20KB, 430x211px
>>1180816
Here's the summery table from 210.24.
>>
File: IMG_20170521_190304.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170521_190304.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
How can I finish a cinder block garden bed? Manufactured stone is too expensive. 1960's ranch.
>>
Can I connect a car stereo directly to the battery of a car without actually installing it? I just need to see if there's a disc in it. Red+yellow to the positive terminal and black to the negative? Would that let me power it on to remove a cd?
>>
File: DSC00113_-L.jpg (148KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00113_-L.jpg
148KB, 800x600px
>>1180998
Yes.
Don't need much current either - they don't draw much when they're not driving speakers.
>>
>>1178439
The part with the red yellow and blue is good for insulated terminals as well
>>
>>1181006
Thanks! I tried youtube but they all used battery chargers. I thought I could just connect straight to a battery but wasn't sure
>>
>>1179215
Those bars aren't to stop people from breaking in. Some landlords allow for tenants with small children to request security bars added to windows to keep them from falling out.

You should be able to ask your landlord to remove them if they're a problem.
>>
File: Solar_cell.png (157KB, 290x259px) Image search: [Google]
Solar_cell.png
157KB, 290x259px
Alright /diy/, I built a solar panel and fully enclosed it permanently but I accidentally hooked up the individual cells in parallel which resulted in 2 volts at 20 amps. I was planning for it to have 12 volts of electricity so I could hook it up to an inverter and have usable electricity. Any ideas on how to increase that 2 volts to anything usable? I've checked out booster circuits but I couldn't find 2 volt input ones that can handle 20 amps. Also, I have 0 electrical engineering experience. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1181025
The voltage is too low to do anything useful with.

I spent 10 minutes looking at mechanical oscillators and voltage multipliers.

The thing is. The forward voltage of most diodes is higher than the solar panel output. A 555 timer requires 4.5v.

You can't even get a PWM signal out of it to use in a DC voltage multiplier.
>>
>>1181047
Damn, the panel is already enclosed so I can't reverse hook them up into series. I have a bunch of these tiny garden lamp solar cells which produce a good 10 volts if I hook them up in series only problem is that they produce only .03 amps of electricity. Would it be possible to use that to do something?
>>
>>1181025
You could try a mechanical oscillator to give you 1vac or 2v PWM signal

Then run that through a very efficient Walton cockroft voltage multiplier that uses Schottky diodes. I'm unsure if the voltage is high enough for it to work.
>>
>>1181051
Wait. You could bulk charge nicd or nimh cells with it.
>>
>>1181025
U dun goofed, 2 volts is far too low, you'll loose a fuckton of energy in the process, create 5 more panels and put them in series, kek.
>>
>>1181056
that's not very energy efficient
>>
>>1181051
Nicd and nimh cells have a max voltage of 1.5v.

Can't really think of what else to use 2v for.
>>
>>1181058
Doesn't matter if you are using solar panels anyway. What else can you do with 2 volts anyway.

You could use it for electroplating too.
>>
>>1181025
>>1181051

No. You misunderstand the scale of solar panels. To get the power that just one outlet in your home (120v 15a 2.4kw) can output you'd need around 12 200w solar panels. Each 200w panel is 5.5 ft by 3 ft. Extrapolate that out and you'd need 60 feet by 36 feet of panels to get that 2.4kw. Your panels will never produce enough power to be useful.
>>
>>1181025
You could use capacitors and switch them between series and parallel.

Example, wire 6 capacitors to a lot of relays so they are connected in parallel to the solar cell when the relays are off and in series with the output when the relays are on.
>>
>>1181069
I already know their scale, I just want to charge my laptop for free.
>>
>>1181089
"free"

>spends $2000 on solar panels, charger, batteries, wiring, maintenance
>vs 12¢/kWh
joke's on you, buddy
>>
>>1181102
>cheap solar kit on ebay for $20
>glass panes from home depot for 7$ each
>solder for 10$
>silicone caulking for less than 2$

This thing can withstand an entire day in the sun and produces a constant 40 watts. I spent less than 60$ on this thing.
>>
>>1181105
You'd only need to change it for 500 hours to break even! Or you could take it with you to work and charge it there for free.
>>
>>1180985
Wow, whoever did the header on that opening did a shit job. It's already sagging. They laid the timbers the wrong way.

Those planters are ugly as hell. Stucco and paint? Rip them out and use brick? Or wood, fuck anything would be an improvement.
>>
File: IMAG0335.jpg (953KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0335.jpg
953KB, 1080x1920px
I made a thing for all my rattle cans, goos, and glues. I grossly underspecced the hinges, so the door has already started sagging a bit. Is there a specific kind of hinge I should be using, and what's the best/easiest way to put it on without removing it from the wall, and then prevent future sagging?
>>
File: IMG_0091.jpg (363KB, 2214x2026px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0091.jpg
363KB, 2214x2026px
>>1181190
Bracket hinges, and I would add hydraulic piston supports top bottom and middle. Also add a lip to the swinging door a la pic related so you can open it swiftly without your shit falling everywhere
>>
>>1178145
Looks to be for pop rivets
>>
>>1181190
nice touch with the dados
>>
>>1178011
Is there a name for "un-lose-able" screws and bolts, like you find on remote control battery covers and other simple objects?

I'm talking about the screws/bolts that, once you unscrew them fully from the bottom piece, they kind of "hang" in the top piece but can't fall out.

Im looking at a project with modular pieces and it would be cool to implement these with bolts on the modular pieces so that we don't have a few dozen bolts to fully remove, we can just zip them in and out when we need to, but I can't for the life of me figure out what this method of securing the screws is called, so I can't find out "how it works" to replicate and use it.
>>
>>1181307
Captive.
>>
>>1181235
Thanks. Used a router on those. Haven't really used a router before, so I didn't realize how much it would want to wander, so a few are fucky(top left shelf). Thankfully the guide was on the bottom, so it's just ugly. Unfortunately, I did the back and both sides at once, then workable space dictated doing the front separately... And it shifted as I went, so the top couple shelves don't actually fit in the back.
>>
>>1178011
>>1178011
>>1178011
I got a problem with my toilet. After flushing it it makes this loud ass foghorn-like sound and won't stop unless you turn off the water valve in the back of the toilet. I researched the problem already but nothing I've found assesses the problems I'm having.

First thing it said was to lower the water level in the tank. I lowered the float on the fill valve and then let some water out from the tank by flushing. The water level rose back to where it was before adjusting: to the overflow tube. I'm looking some shit up now and it seems like I need to replace the whole fill valve. Before doing that I want suggestions on what could be the cause of the problem.

If it helps, it sounds like the noise is coming from the overflow tube.
>>
>>1181190
I'd use a piano hinge. Anon is right about the lip.
>>
File: blocking.png (332KB, 406x456px) Image search: [Google]
blocking.png
332KB, 406x456px
How do I do my backing (blocking) for a 90lbs 60' tv?
>>
>>1181356
>After flushing it it makes this loud ass foghorn-like sound and won't stop unless you turn off the water valve in the back of the toilet.

My guess is "water hammer".

It happens when pipes aren't secured to the framing of the house and the water flow and length of the pipe form a resonant frequency that vibrates the pipe.
Depending on how the plumbing is laid out you may be able to add a 'shock absorber' to the line.
It's just a cylinder with air trapped inside and the water cushions against the air when it tries to hammer.
Try adjusting the stop to a very slow refill speed. If the water isn't rushing in it may not be able to generate enough force to start the vibration.
>>
>>1181307
>>1181333
>Captive.
This. There is an area under the head of the screw that has no threads and is slightly smaller in diameter.
When you start removing the screw it doesn't back out through the cover.
Some applications have a circlip or washer to make it even more difficult to get it back through the cover.
>>
>>1181364
The top will offer greater oppertunity to actually find and use the blocking...
>>
>>1181364
aren't you mounting to the studs anyway - so why would it matter?
>>
>>1181356
>>1181435
>My guess is "water hammer".

That's not water hammer. Water hammer is a slow, decaying "thunk...thunk...thunk..." in the pipes. My bathroom faucets do it whenever they're shut off. What he's describing is a problem with the fill valve. It's not shutting correctly, and it's sitting in such a way that it's acting sort of like the reed you'd see in a wind instrument.

As such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIgMeyW4TEM

It's not uncommon for it to happen briefly as the valve is closing, but, if it doesn't stop, you need a new fill valve.
>>
Hey qt-dot

Is there a major difference in psi gauges? I smashed the one on my craftsman 919167370. I tracked the part down to a guage called D21929 but its $37-44 each. That seems outrageous for a 300psi guage and i can find similar from other hardware stores for <$20. I don't like cheaping out on chinkshit. The craftsman air compressor is just a rebranded DeVilbiss and made in merica, but i somehow doubt this guage isn't just chinkshit
>>
>>1181474
Gauges vary around 3 things
- material measured
- pressure range
- fitting
>>
>>1181460
You think there could be any other cause? I'd really like to try out all possibilities before going out and buying a fill valve.
>>
>>1181538
>You think there could be any other cause? I'd really like to try out all possibilities before going out and buying a fill valve.

Can't think of anything else there would be. Technically, it could be the shutoff, but it would have to be nearly closed for that to happen. It'd be pretty obvious if your tank was taking 5+ minutes to fill. The only other restriction in the line would be the fill valve.
>>
can someone give me a quick rundown on how carburetor pressure boxes work? i have a little 212 predator i want to smog pump supercharge and rather than getting a blow through carb you can just enclose it in a box and it makes it work correctly without blowing air up into the carb. im just having a mental issue figuring out how something like that even works (it does work, people have done it on small engines and normal engines since the old days of forced induction).
>>
>>1181474
>Is there a major difference in psi gauges?

As >>1181487 pointed out, the only things that really matter to a pressure gauge is what you're measuring (liquid or gas), its measurement range, and what kind of fitting it has on it.

As long as your replacement gauge is of the same (or greater) range, made for compressed air, and has the correct fitting (or you can get an adapter), then it'll work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Compressor-Pressure-Hydraulic-Gauge-2-Face-Side-Mount-1-4-NPT-0-300-PSI-/251927882931?hash=item3aa8126cb3:g:JIUAAOSwIwhWS48F

Probably would work fine for you. IDK how big you actually want the dial to be, though.
>>
PCB mounted wifi aerial connectors are just some type of co-axial right? How do you identify which type, is it simply by diameter?
>>
What's the cheapest way to reduce echo in a room? I've just moved into a house with wooden floors and I'm about to lose my goddamn mind from every noise reverberating like I'm in a sewer pipe.
>>
>>1181682
There is no way to tell with just the wire itself. You'd have to know what frequency the coax is passing and buy based on it.
>>
>>1181793
Put fabric-y things in it. Rugs, furniture, etc
>>
>>1181793
The large flat (non-hinged) egg cartons are your poverty option.

Otherwise you can either hang fabric like >>1181805 said (tapestries, canvas wall art, curtains, pinned up decorative sheets, etc), set up dividers/screens about, or get those soundproofing foam squares that youtube people use.

If you understand the geometry and materials of your house - IE what walls are more or less solid and the paths the sound can reflect about - you can determine the best locations to set things up without wasting time.
>>
>>1181805
>>1181825
Thank you very much.

>egg cartons are your poverty option
Sorry, I didn't mean hobo-cheap. I just can only afford tens rather than hundreds of dollarydoos.
>>
Since Sears sold the Craftsman brand earlier this year, was the guarantee on its tools actually affected? Beyond the speculation I heard immediately after the news I haven't heard anything.
>>
File: 20170523_140307.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170523_140307.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
I had the face down on my car stereo and accidentally knocked it off and now it won't stay closed I'm worried I've broken something from either the plate or the unit. Is there anyway I can rig the unit to stay closed? I don't have to use cds. ...I mostly listen to music via the USB, which is on the outside (accessible when the faceplate is closed). Velcro maybe? Right now I'm using duct tape but that's obviously not going to hold for long. I may check ebay for a replacement front plate (assuming I've broken a piece off that)
>>
File: 1495574701710.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1495574701710.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1181904
Here's the other side. I'm thinking maybe someone will see something obvious that's broken that I'm somehow overlooking
>>
File: 1495574989002.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1495574989002.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Is there a way to get a file from a micro USB once it's been written over?
>>
>>1181908
perhaps
http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/
or
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
>>
>>1179005
>1000l
just replace it every week or whenever it looks dirty
1000l really isn't that much water and should only cost you a couple bucks or so
>>
I have an older toilet in my house, a 70s big bowl Gerber unit.

Every 3 of 5 flushes water wont get enough rotation to actually flush. The tank will empty, the water in the bowl will bubble and move but just as it starts to rotate it stops. Its not clogged because I've ran a plunger on it many times with no effect and I use shitty toilet paper anyways. Could it be something else?
>>
>>1181069
>Each 200w panel is 5.5 ft by 3 ft. Extrapolate that out and you'd need 60 feet by 36 feet of panels to get that 2.4kw
anon your math is a bit faulty 12 panels would be 18 by 11 feet (6 panels per row 6*3 wide and two rows tall 2*5.5)
>>
>>1181437
>>1181333
Thanks, that was exactly the ticket. Decided to design them out because they're fairly expensive for the quantity we need. Was planning on making something modular, that you can swap pieces, but we only have about 3 distinct assemblies so having unique pieces for each assembly is easier and cheaper.
>>
File: IMG_20170523_190755.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170523_190755.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
What would a hipster pay for this if I swapped out the top for pallet wood like the bottom?
>>
>>1181979
>bark up, bark down, bark up
having trouble deciding?
>>
File: 20170523_185646.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170523_185646.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1181906
I found the culprit. Can't imagine a way to fix this as I believe it has to bend ever so slightly to release from the faceplate.
>>
Does anyone do any "furniture flipping"?
Like buy stuff from estate/garage sales and then sell it through a consignment store?

I have a bunch of pieces from my grandparents house that are really nice pieces of furniture to begin with and I have no idea how to unload them?
>>
>>1182004
Thought it'd play well with shrinkage/warping.
>>
Where could I get a square plywood tabletop made? I mean cut to size, finished, and delivered. Would it be expensive?
>>
>>1178011
middle gray wire goes in the middle
> you cant fuck this up
the brass ground strap must stay for your new cord
>>
>>1180213
>>1181212
rivet gun action moves the other way
>>
>>1181190
piano hinge the whole way up
> the cabinet itself may be contributing to sag
add shelf holders like a refrigerator so your shit doesn't fall out
>>
>>1182107
Building supply stores that sell fixtures, countertops, doors, and lumber. Or IKEA's clearance section if you can pick instead of needing it super custom.
>>
>>1178011
My glasses always carry a smudge no matter what I do. It normally doesn't bother me until I go downstairs. The ceiling light always causes the smudges to be more apparent.

What type/kind of lightbulb won't make the streaks or smudges on my glasses to be visible?
>>
>>1182163
Aren't all of Ikea's tables particleboard?
>>
>>1182174
No. Only the most shit ones, the most decorative ones, and the most novelty ones. There's simpler ones made of other materials but fuck me if I'm remembering Swedish words when I only go in there maybe once every 6 months or so.
>>
>>1181871
Stanley Black & Decker have said that they're keeping the warranty. Might change in the future, but that's where we're at now.
>>
>>1182191

Thanks
>>
>>1182174
The desks they use to put the computers on that the staff use for stock control aren't.
Pretty much everything else is.
There are some things made of ' solid' wood but its really thin knotty pine seconds and its usually very poorly sanded and painted with a garish stain so you can still 'admire' the 'finish'
Don't be fooled, a good particle board desk will stand up to punishment better than a cheap solid wood one. And it will cost a fraction.
Try jumping on it on the store, that's what its there for
>>
>>1181952
bump on this
>>
>>1181952
Rotation has little to do with flushing ability. In fact, those older units should never have an issue simply because of the sheer amount of water the throw down the pipes. What you likely have is a partial blockage. Everything works fine until something gets suck in the partial blockage but it clears itself without becoming fully blocked. A plunger wouldn't help in this case. Snake your line and see if that helps.
>>
>>1182004
This is how you should do it if you are joining them into a larger piece of wood. This guy looks to have kind of just placed them next to each other and screwed them down, which is pleb-tier woodworking.
>>
File: mTrM2me.jpg (13KB, 656x450px) Image search: [Google]
mTrM2me.jpg
13KB, 656x450px
what is this kind of bracket called?
>>
>>1182482
tube strap
>>
>>1179158
just drill screw head out
>>
>>1178145
that's a silicone gun.
>>
File: Drill Press plans.jpg (21KB, 336x400px) Image search: [Google]
Drill Press plans.jpg
21KB, 336x400px
>>1182495
Thank you kind friend.
>>
>>1182167
One that's not in your field of view. For comfy lighting, have all of it reflected off matte surfaces.
>>
I'm putting up a plastic-coated wire rack I got from a thrift store in my kitchen. Going to use it as a spice rack. Can I use galvanized steel fittings in the kitchen, that close to foods, or is this a potential health hazard?

I found some plastic fittings too but they're for coax so I'm uncertain if they will hold it.
>>
File: 61MUBFG4dbL._SL1500_.jpg (48KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61MUBFG4dbL._SL1500_.jpg
48KB, 1500x1000px
How do the lengthwise ridges get on a honing steel?
>>
>>1182533
>Can I use galvanized steel fittings in the kitchen,

No! It will kill you. Use medical grad titanium only.
>>
>>1182577

The manufacturer puts them on there.
>>
>>1178145
hot glue gun
>>
File: tumblr_inline_ndnd3iyNCk1rliztq.png (80KB, 272x199px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_ndnd3iyNCk1rliztq.png
80KB, 272x199px
>>1182594
How do they put them there?
>>
Could a Jedi use the force to turn a screw?
>>
>>1182592
Not water pipe, things to just hold it to the wall. It doesn't have horizontal areas to put screws into so I need to use other stuff.
>>
>>1182599
Usually very precisely
>>
>>1182577
>>1182594
>>1182599
>>1182622

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5lD6DOnPU

Is that guy using it backwards? Isn't it better to push the folded-over edge back the way it came from?
>>
>>1181952
Stop pouring fat down the drain.
It reacts in the pipes and turns into a soap like solid, causing partial blockages like the other anon mentioned
>>
>>1182620
If it's safe to pipe water to homes through galvanized pipes, why would a galvanized nail be a problem?
>>
>>1182599
>How do they put them there?
How does your country have internet but not Google?
>>
strange question but I don't wanna shit up the board with a thread, in fact I am not sure I am allowed to ask being as this is a blue board, mods feel free to remove this.

what is a safe finish to use on a wooden sex toy?
>>
>>1182657
What kind of sex toy? I wouldn't consider anything wood to be safe for insertion due to its porous nature. Get some platinum cure silicone, either formed and cured into something you like, or a diy mix so you can do your own. You'll need a light vacuum chamber for the latter, for removing dissolved air that would make bubbly imperfections.
>>
>>1182665
Glass, surgical steel, and some plastics are also good.
>>
>>1182665
I've heard wood has been a commonly used material for a long time, but the porous nature is exactly why I ask, as it would certainly need some kind of finish. the reason I am more or less set on wood is because I don't have a lot of tools, and I have no experience with glass, steel, plastics, ect. but I have done tons of wood work, just, no wood work that needed to be safe inside of a human body.
>>
>>1182690
>>1182657
Carve your wooden dildo and then use it as a master to make a mold for casting silicone.
>>
>>1182690

http://dangerouslilly.com/2014/04/wood-sex-toys-introduction/

I'd go with platinum silicone. Lasts a lifetime with no maintenance. Only tool it needs that you don't already have is a vacuum pump and improvised chamber, and that's optional if you don't mind tiny flaws. Only downside is incompatibility with silicone lube.
>>
>>1182693
I could do that, but I don't really plan to produce multiple, just one, so I don't have much use for something like that, though I just got an idea, is there possibly some way to coat wood in silicone?
>>
>>1182699
There's really no good raisin to encapsulate rotting tree carcass inside an inert material.
>>
>>1182699
Machine a metal one. Put yer dick in a vise :^)
>>
>>1182703
okay, let me put it this way, I am a dumbass set on the idea of wood or a wood like material that can be shaped similarly, what would be the best way to make rotting tree carcass safe for the human body? or if you have a material that can be shaped similarly to wood that's affordable, what would it be and how would/should I seal it?
>>
>>1182710
What shape are you going for? A generic phallus, indistinguishable from others you can just buy?
>>
>>1182713
not even sure yet, I figure its a colossal waste of time to make an idea for something before you know how to do it correctly and safely, I'll probably spend a few more days autisticaly scouring the internet for information on how to do it and improve the final product. if I really cant find a way to make wood safe, I'll put it off a few years till I have learned to cast metal (and honestly I'll replace the wood with metal in the end anyhow, but id like to learn what is good and bad shape speaking with something easier, like wood.)
>>
>>1182718
>waste of time to make an idea for something before you know how to do it correctly and safely
isn't it the other way round anon?
researching the best manufacturing methods before you even know what to make sounds pretty retarded imo
>>
>>1182718
I don't think casting is how anyone makes quality metal toys. It's all machined from bar stock. You'd need to do that anyway to get a good finish.
>>
>>1182721
well, its not that vague, its not like- oh I want to make something from bronze one day lets learn everything about bronze, its more- I want to make a ring one day, lets learn everything about making rings. I learned to be this way after screwing things up as a child (likely because I was a child) and getting told it would have turned out a masterpiece had I just spent a few days researching how to do it.

but that's not here nore there, I just wanna make a wooden woody without killing anyone.
>>
>>1182723
Could always hand polish it very slowly?
>>
>>1182723
don't really have much in the way of machine tools as a whole, just a small belt sander. the rest will be all done by hard work and hand tools, and lots of sandpaper to finish It off smooth. I've done a lot more complex jobs with a lot less, just takes time. besides, I'm at least hoping it will be romantic.

hell that's the whole idea for why I started thinking of this project, I could always just buy any old dildo, but making one seems romantic
>>
>>1182728
Cyanoacrylate is probably reasonably safe, it was originally used to glue wounds. Something like 8-20% of the population CAN build up a negative reaction to it, but I believe that's only in the uncured state. Any type of food safe coating should be fine as well, such as salad bowl coating. Whatever you choose, just give it extra long to cure, in as ideal an environment as possible (probably just somewhere warm with airflow), because it's usually the uncured state that is a health issue.
>>
>>1182736
sounds good to me, and obviously if there's any adverse reaction we will stop use immediately
>>
>>1182743
Well, double check how it works, because CA glue is super-glue, so it's super common and handy, you don't want to be allergic, it sucks. It's also not something that really goes away once you have it.
>>
>>1182744
damn, well I may have had a minor breakthrough, raw flaxseed oil is food safe and apparently sex safe, but I actually tend to use it on knife handles because it cures hard (though it takes many days to do so) like linseed oil, without being toxic
>>
>>1182746
Oh, neat.
>>
>>1178858
How could I buy one or two of these racks from you at a really great price? :D
>>
>>1182746
flax and linseed are the same thing. The fibers of the rest of the plant get made into linen. But don't eat linseed oil that isn't food grade. Better not to eat flax oil either. Oxidizes fast. Get some whole flax seeds and grind those and put them in whatever. Good for your heart.
>>
>>1178011
could stove coils withstand being heated up to 1300-1500f on 240v? trying to make an electric aluminum melting setup and if these would work it seems a lot easier to set up that with nichrome/kanthal coils
>>
>>1182766

I highly doubt it. Stove coils are made with a resistive wire inside ceramic insulation inside a metal tube. In order for the outside to get that hot, the wire itself would have to be far hotter. Don't know exactly how much, but I'd guess enough to melt it, or at least break itself/the ceramic insulation quickly from stresses induced by thermal cycling.

Making your own coils is easier than you might think. I just made some for an electric furnace I'm working on. I have a lathe, so it only took me a few minutes to turn 100ft of kanthal into a very professional-looking element. You can do the same with a drill, a metal rod, and a simple jig to hold it up.
>>
>>1182773
Damn. What about the large ones for inside the oven Or some story then? Main reason I would rather not use coils is just that it would be kind of a pain to actually install and hold them inside the furnace.
>>
>>1182775

They work the exact same way, just a different shape.

Since you're just doing aluminum, you could just use some stainless wire bent into hooks and stuck into the walls of the furnace.

Otherwise, just buy a small quantity of refractory mortar (or furnace cement; most hardware stores will have some in the HVAC section) and mold some supports. Wear gloves; a lot of high-temperature mortars use sodium silicate as the binder, which isn't good to handle.
>>
>>1182779
Figured. I guess if I have to use coils I'll just do it the proper way cutting a spiral channel in firebrick.
>>
>>1182781
>I guess if I have to use coils I'll just do it the proper way cutting a spiral channel in firebrick.

I can help you there a little, maybe. If you don't want to fuck up your power tools with ceramic dust and make a god-awful, cancer-inducing mess (or you just don't have the tools in the first place), glue a strip of coarse sandpaper (think I used 50 grit just because that was the lowest I had, but the coarser, the better) to the edge of some scrap plywood/MDF. Doesn't take as long as you might think. Took me an hour to do 5 grooves in a spiral pattern through 10 2600°-rated bricks. 30-grit (or even lower, if you can find it) on 2300° brick would go quite a bit faster, I imagine.
>>
>>1182784
1 grit sandpaper
>>
File: mail4[1].jpg (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
mail4[1].jpg
26KB, 400x300px
>>1182785

>"Your order from 3M is here, sir."
>>
>>1182785
a rock
>>
File: 2017-05-25 01.12.57.jpg (1MB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-25 01.12.57.jpg
1MB, 1885x1060px
I have an old army jeep that operates on 24v.
Said jeep has mil trailer plug on the back.
Have an old mil toolbox and newer 12v cb and head unit.
I want to put another trailer plug on toolbox, mount cb, hu, and power inverter inside the toolbox possibly with a 24v-12v step down for the former two as the inverter could possibly be quite a bit of draw.
There are no aux power lines to the trailer plug on the Jeep side, but there are unused ports in the plug. I believe the Jeep wiring is 10 gauge though I could be wrong. The terminals in the trailer plug are brass. If I ran 4x 10 gauge wiring through the trailer plug, what amperage at 24v could I pull before overloading my (trunk wires?)?
I'm trying to size (in wattage) my inverter so I can research which one I want and size (physical) everything out in my toolbox.
I'm after modern amenities/accessories housed in something that looks somewhat period correct. I would also like it to last as long as possible because I'm redoing the Jeep at the same time and I'm hoping to get 50+ years out of it. Any heavy/extreme duty component you know of that would work for my application please tell.
>>
Im starting a 3 month trial as a landscaper on monday any tips. first time on a construction site
>>
>>1182793
Don't use a fucking inverter numbnuts. Military vehicles have two 12v batteries. Just hook your junk up to one battery and you will have 12 volts, no inverter required. Inverters waste a lot of power and you shouldn't use one if you don't have to.
>>
>>1182812
Those 12v batteries you speak of also need to be treated as halves of a 24v cell, no tapping one of them.
>>
File: bootfailureguide.png (227KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
bootfailureguide.png
227KB, 2000x2000px
Does anyone have that link to the diy info graphic archive? I can't seem to find it in my history. There's an anon on here who has an impressive catalog of a wide variety of graphics that I'm looking for. Pic related
>>
Why is tempered glass so expensive but companies like Ikea can make entire display cases for the cost of a single piece of 1sqft tempered glass.
>>
Not a question, but I wanted to share something stupid I did today. I needed a 15' (5 metre) RCA cable, but didn't want to buy one, since it's obsolete tech anyway and I just wanted to keep my retro NES. Turns out that braided outer layer that's supposed to reduce noise is entirely unnecessary; I spliced the RCA ends onto some old 15' phone line I had lying around and it worked great.

Tomorrow, I'm going to build a couple RCA>RJ12 cables, and run my TV's video out through the house to mirror the screen to a TV in the kitchen. Wish me luck!
>>
>>1183239
That's pretty lolleriffic, but what you did kinda makes sense. You traded a coaxial transmission line for a differential pair. But phone line is 600 ohms vs probably 75 for video so it's not ideal.
>>
>>1183240
>But phone line is 600 ohms
That's the impedance a telephone is supposed to see, but the impedance of your typical telephone cable is much lower, around 100 ohms.
Not that the cable impedance matters at audio frequencies.
>>
File: 2017-05-26 17.03.37.jpg (471KB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-26 17.03.37.jpg
471KB, 1885x1060px
The back of my house has a potential man cave hidden at the back of the garage. The previous owner did a rather nice job of making it usable for storage but I'm curious if anyone has a better suggestion for turning it into living space. The wall to the right is part of the back of the kitchen and cloak room. The only real issue at the moment is that I'm too tall to stand on the lower decking but lowering it further would reduce the usable space.
>>
Can you use a conduit Bender for 1" thin wall piping? About .083 to .1" wall thickness
>>
File: Screenshot_20170526-112115.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170526-112115.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Can anyone help me list all of the things wrong with this. It is supposed to be a stair case to a lofted bed.
>>
>>1183313
No cross braces. Squares weak triangles stronk.
>>
>>1183313
>>1183316
It's plenty stronk, design-wise. The board across the back prevents it from racking on one side, the tensile strength of the plywood resists racking forces on the other side, along its axis of strength.

The main weakness is the lack of corner braces or L-brackets and probable shitty joining of the steps to the back piece. Plywood should never be joined exclusively at its ends.
>>
>>1178920
3M is pricey but you can make them last since you are trying to keep dust out rather than VOC. I would buy just a generic mask then the cheap 3M cartridge for particle size. Ebay has them cheaper than Menards. Or if your like me, know someone that works at 3M and go to their discount store and pick them up at $1-5/pop
>>
>>1182790
Kek
>>
>>1183309
1. Put mattress/foam on bottom shelf
2. Put tv on top shelf
3. ????
4. Profit
>>
>>1183313
Step sizes are wierd but I guess since your only using it a few times a day it's alright. I would poly the treads so they don't get super dirty over time (you can just wipe them clean if you have a coat of something on there)
The vertical boards I would worry about, assuming you just rammed screws in the bottom of the board (the weakest way fyi) you would need more strength to assure nothing goes wrong ever.
I would suggest a single L bracket below each riser. (Bottom left for a total of 4)
Also if you used nails instead of screws kys.
As is, 5/10 would walk up. I just wouldn't bring your drunk porker of a gf up them.
>>
Didnt realize this board had qtddtot
>>1183335
>>
>>1183181
Because they buy in gigantic bulk and you dont
>>
>>1183313
If they don't love their kids, I see nothing wrong.
>>
File: IMG_20170526_141028.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170526_141028.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
>>1181979
Better?

What should I list this for on Craigslist? Pallet wood and 2" angle iron.
>>
File: china-cage-shoebox-houses.jpg (254KB, 1200x901px) Image search: [Google]
china-cage-shoebox-houses.jpg
254KB, 1200x901px
>>1183353
Could be a nice AirBNB for a Chinaman.
>>
>>1183316
>No cross braces
See that big brown thing at the back?

>>1183313
Have you built it or are you fishing for ideas? Depends how you fix it together makes all the difference in how sturdy it will be.
Steps look kinda big, wouldn't like to be your knees.
>>
I don't study mechanical engineering, how do I get into the topic?

I'm a CS student who learned some basic electronics to learn how to make my own devices for my DIY smarthome, and that's cool and all, but I'd love to build bigger, mechanical things. Things with custom metal cases and big moving parts. The whole steampunk package.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (15KB, 298x568px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
15KB, 298x568px
where would the controls for this thing be? in the mine cage?

and if so, what would be used to control it? a lever of some sort?
>>
File: DSCN0337a.jpg (140KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0337a.jpg
140KB, 1024x768px
I'm refinishing the reflector panels on my solar cooker. I need to bond aluminized, non-stretch polyester (Coghlan's Emergency Blanket) to weathered aluminum foil.

I have Devcon 2-ton Epoxy and JB Weld. I doubt either will work for this. The aluminum foil is bonded to wood using wood glue. The emergency blanket is slightly transparent so having the aluminum foil under it will help with reflectivity.

Any suggestions on what bonding agent to use?
>>
>>1183542
Who will be controlling it? People at the top and/or bottom and/or the people in the cage? Controls can be all 3, but if you want something specific...? Buttons would be the way to go. One for up, one for down, and one for stop. Onboard controls allow people to control it who are inside. Controls at the top and bottom allow people to load it with cargo and use it without people onboard.

https://www.google.com/search?q=circuit+buttons+elevator+controls
>>
>>1183713
Looks like this:

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Hi-Tack-76-Spray-Adhesive?N=5002385+3293242220&rt=rud

May be the best to use if it will setup being sandwiched between foil and blanket where stuff won't dry out for a long long long time. Plus, it will be a bitch to lay the emergency blanket on it and smooth out wrinkles if it is instantly tacky and doesn't sheer well.

Applying it in small strips and rolling the blanket onto that section may solve application issues. Only that stuff costs nearly $30 a can.
>>
What would be the best way to make pills that contain 10ml of liquid and are harmless?
>>
File: 1.0x0.jpg (38KB, 724x652px) Image search: [Google]
1.0x0.jpg
38KB, 724x652px
>>1183779
>pills that contain 10ml of liquid
>10ml

That's fucking huge. Maybe diy a big gelatin capsule?
>>
>>1183363
$500
>>
>>1183793
You know some bloke would pay it.
>>
I'm trying to hook up my washer in a trailer that's falling apart. I also need to put in a gas dryer but the old dryer was electronic. What do
>>
do you guys think a 10/17/21/whatever speed bike cassette (and chain, derailleur, etc) can handle a 50cc 2 stroke or will the 3hp of raw weed whacking fury be too much for it?
>>
Is AvE a cuck? Is that why he spends so much time in a cuck shed?
>>
>>1183831

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyuv3WXPQsM

>so bad at sex he thinks a clit stimulator is inserted
>>
>>1183809
Move?
>>
>>1178011
>live in america
>killowatt says mains is 120v ac right now
>stand fan measures 150v ac across the capacitor
what the fuck is going on here?
>>
File: i-mB8VcR6-L.jpg (82KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-mB8VcR6-L.jpg
82KB, 338x600px
>>1183895
Imagine the AC signal. +, 0, -, 0, +, 0, -, etc.
Now full-wave rectify that.
+, 0, +, 0, +, 0, +.
Shove that across a cap to filter it.
Because it's full-wave rectified, you're getting more than Vrms since you've flipped the negative cycle positive. But because area under the curve, you're getting less than Vp-p.
>>
>>1183895

whenever you have coils and capacitors in the same circuit, some magic properties can pop up, like more current flowing in the coil than is coming out of the socket, or voltages higher than you would expect. ignore it if you wanna stay sane.
>>
>>1183915
>>1183920
I measured it in parallel with the cap.
I replaced the capacitor the other day because the fan wouldn't start and I was trying to unwind and go to sleep and not dick around with shit, and just haven't made a proper splice yet.
Where the capacitor is wired in, the wires are still exposed and that is where I put my meter.

Since it is parallel and not series, should the meter really be seeing rectified stuff? It was in ac mode, dc mode didnt show any voltage (since its still ac current)
>>
>>1183922

ignore the dude above, he was just guessing. wrongly. the entire fan circuit is 100% AC. the apparent high voltage is due to resonance.
>>
Has AvE actually made anything cool?
>>
>>1183929

1 million suggestive jokes. a youtube record.
>>
>>1183928
Cool, thanks
>>
>>1183929
his daughter seems well behaved.
>>
>>1183822
Chainll handle it. Easier to go with a friction drive though, but more power loss.
>>
File: IMG_6269.jpg (1MB, 2446x2632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6269.jpg
1MB, 2446x2632px
I'm sanding down some iron handrails with a lot of paint and some rust. There's minor rust putting still there. Will this be a problem or do I need to deep scrub it
>>
>>1183974
g2g bro
>>
Just to clarify: There is NO WAY for me to clean a set of windows where the condensation has built up and dirtied inside both panes, right?
>>
>>1183978
Your windows are broken.
The panes are supposed to have a vacuum or an inert gas like argon inside of it to prevent heat transfer to or from the inside.

The fact that you see condensation means the seal is broken and the insulating gas or void is now gone.
Contact the window manufacturer and tell them "shits fucked yo" and see if they will replace them. Some will warranty it.
>>
>>1183969
I want to Strap a 50cc to a bike and have a bunch of gears to help give it some mechanical advantage and just for fun (which I'm sure you inferred from the question)
>>
>>1183979
These windows are old as cock. Will a replacement ever manifest itself as a discounted upgrade?
>>
>>1183989
how old, like from the 1800s old or from 10 years ago old?

Parents just bought another house and they noticed the condensation bullshit going on in 2 of the shit ton of windows. No info about them at all besides the company name. Called them up and get them replaced for free, even have the same paint scheme.
>>
File: 2016-06-16 23.09.58.jpg (443KB, 941x530px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-16 23.09.58.jpg
443KB, 941x530px
>>1183983
I did.
Thought about doing that as I'm working with 32cc engines and it would be less power loss, but the whole thing is on hold for more important stuff.
>>
>>1183990
That's fucking interesting. I'll have to give them a call.
>>
>>1183991
If youre the dick that drives by at 2 am every night without a muffler on that thing, fuck you.
>>
>>1184027
Oh, no, not me. Mine never truly came to fruition, although I still have all the pieces and may finish it someday. I get sidetracked with life and new projects. Also, the weedeater-bike is unfortunately on the list of things that I'd like to get done, as opposed to things I need to get done.
>>
>>1184033
yea I figured it wasnt, but a part of me is hoping the faggot reads it too
>>
i need some brake/clutch like friction material to test a small homemade go kart clutch. im thinking skate grip tape, but im sure there is something better. only catch is it needs to either be on amazon or in home depot/lowes because i live in alaska and dont feel like paying an assload in shipping if it will even ship at all.
>>
>>1183793
Thanks, put it up last night and already gone.

She talked me down to $450 though because the top wasn't flush.
>>
File: 2017-05-28 09.42.58.jpg (2MB, 2368x4208px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-28 09.42.58.jpg
2MB, 2368x4208px
how do i pound out this axle stub? its seized in the bore with rust. ive tried pounding it with a 5 lb sledge, soaking it overnight in pb blaster, and pounding it again but it wont even budge. i would really like to avoid mushrooming the stub because that will make it even more of a pain to get out.
>>
>>1184275
Heat the hub with a torch so that it expands and then blast the metal part in the center with upside down canned air or ice or something so that it shrinks?
>>
File: 1491670414881.png (81KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
1491670414881.png
81KB, 400x397px
Why do /g/ regulars say we're smart?
>>
File: bigclivedotcom.gif (1KB, 82x51px) Image search: [Google]
bigclivedotcom.gif
1KB, 82x51px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1184597
A shit colored rainbow
>>
>>1178011

Does anyone know a good place to buy small wooden (or maybe metal) alphanumeric letters for cheap. Preferably with font and size options, and the ability to buy individual letters. Anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1-1/2 inches tall.

I need to make a sign.
>>
I have an old worm drive that's never had an oil change. Everything online says to run kerosene in it for a minute to flush the old shit out, but I know how the US is with not really having specific repeatable names for petroleum based shit(naptha, white oil, kerosene, etc), and since what I know is made for burning, I figured maaaybe I'd just ask you guys before I fill a gearbox full of flammable stuff and heat it up. Is https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crown-Kerosene-Heater/1000148047 the right stuff?
>>
>>1178092
in the wise words of uncle bumblefuck, do NOT fuck with pressure vessels. buy a new one and swap it into the compressor. could it be fine? yeah, but how much do you value your life and that of those around you?
>>
>>1184815

By "heat it up" you mean slowly rotating the worm drive? I don't think that will generate nearly enough heat to ignite kerosene.
>>
>>1184815
>the right stuff?
Yes
I've done this to engines with so much sludge they wouldn't operate properly.
Half oil - half kerosene.
Let run for ten minutes.
Drain and replace with fresh oil.
Use/drive vehicle for a short while.
Drain and replace oil once more to finish up.

For your saw just dump what gearbox lube in in there and fill with kerosene.
Run it a minute or two but don't load it by trying to cut anything.
Dump it out and refill with gear lube.
After you've used it a bit change the gear lube one last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAaWO9kXgc
>>
File: img.jpg (30KB, 1100x600px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
30KB, 1100x600px
What is the name of these things? I need something similar but cheap and without curves, I it need to fill a corner of a room. Any material like aluminum, wood or PVC as long as it's cheap and at least 5cm wide.
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 75

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.