[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Arcade/MAME/RetroPie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13

File: 61OqcBVFq7L._SY400_.jpg (52KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
61OqcBVFq7L._SY400_.jpg
52KB, 400x400px
Anybody have a joystick and button kit they like? I don't need anything fancy. It's for my kids and they're not old enough to appreciate a competition set.
>>
>>1167148
>>>/diy/
>>
>>1167158
Boy, this sure does look confusing now.

I don't use them for your purpose, but I like industrial style 120v switches. The tactile response is predictable, and they're tough as hell.
>>
>>1167148
i dont have a select kit, but i got 4 buttons, a classic style arcade joystick (really nice too, theres a cheaper one but its not the style i liked) for about 30 plus $5 in shipping costs over at adafruit. alternatively theres specialized websited for that kind of stuff. funny story actually, im building a custom arcade kit for my dad and just started on the frame yesterday (i have most of the parts)
>>
>>1167169
Nice. Post up some pics. Wanna build a MAME cabinet myself.

Actually i would fucking kill to buld my own buck hinter console for under 14k...
>>
>>1167148
Sanwa parts
>>
File: arcade design.jpg (4MB, 2560x2880px) Image search: [Google]
arcade design.jpg
4MB, 2560x2880px
>>1167171
i dont have any pics of the cabinet but i have some designs for it. i can show you the arcade stick im looking at. Also, if you have some experience in programming, you can get a raspberry pi and some arcade things, solder them directly to the gpios, and download retropie onto it. you can emulate any arcade game with the controls you have on it, and the thing can be built for about 50 (not including the price of the casing or screen or anything).
>>
>>1167186
Keep posting pics as you go. I'm looking at building a large bartop unit with storage for extra controllers and a keyboard
>>
>>1167148
> not making your own buttons from bottle caps.
>>
>>1167245
im terrible at taking pictures as i go, but i will try to keep everyone updated. within the past couple of hours I got the OS up and running, but no buttons or input of any kind yet. however, the operating system seems to be functional, and the screen outputs fine. next up is going to be soldering the wires to the GPIO and getting them to work
>>
>>1167312
You can get female connectors that you can slide on the pins. It might be easier than soldering and will make it easier to swap out parts later if you need
>>
>>1167360
i could, but its not worth it for me. i could solder it fairly easy for the few amount of connections im doing, and im not going to change the raspberry pi out anytime soon. if i need new buttons ill just replace the connections on the button end
>>
>>1167148
http://bambooarcade.com/material/
>>
Does anyone know of a display for the Pi that is at least 320x240, and smaller than 2.2"?
>>
here's the bar top I made with a raspberry pi. I used the same controllers in op's pic, different color. I guess there okay, but I wouldn't use them if I was making a second arcade.
>>
>>1168607
Nice! I'm working on building a spinner for my cabinet. Just need to find the time
>>
>>1168601
SunFounder 2.2"TFT Screen LCD Display HAT
>>
>>1167148
even if they are kids, dont go cheap on parts. Kids smash shit and throw stuff all the time.

Go sanwa parts.

also try to make it water/juiceproof. dont want to get any liquids inside that cabinet.
>>
I like a LS-32 and the sanwa screw-type buttons. I got a JLF but I didn't like it until I got a bigger actuator for it.
If you're using plexiglass over the top of wood/MDF then screw-in buttons can hold the plexi onto the wood without needing to expose any screws on the surface, as long as it fits snugly.
>>
just a general question to help me on my arcade cabinet. (not OP) I need to have a way to power on the raspberry pi zero (which runs off microusb type B) and a way to power the monitor, which runs a regular wall plug. if i were to combine the 2 via wires and soldering (wallplug to usb power converter then plug the power cord into that) it isnt a stupid idea right? it will take somewhat more power but wont over load the system? or will i have to make 2 separate wallplugs for it? will post pictures if need be
>>
File: 51w1-01206.jpg (795KB, 1896x1896px) Image search: [Google]
51w1-01206.jpg
795KB, 1896x1896px
>>1169919
>>
>>1169919
>>1170096
yeah, a power strip. Or one of those extensions with a three-tap on the end. Just secure the cord and run it out through something to avoid abrasion.

Then your USB power supply and the monitor plug can be plugged right in, easy to change in the future, mostly foolproof.
>>
>>1169919
Why not find a monitor with USB in it, and use that?
>>
>>1170134
I already have the monitor, and its a good size for what i need.

>>1170096
>>1170126
i thought about it, and if need be, i will get one, but i only need 2 outlets, so i was wondering if there was any chance the power supply wouldnt be enough or something like that.
>>
>>1168607
That's beautiful. Did you make the marquee yourself? What was your hang up with the buttons?
>>
File: Arcade Cabinet.png (289KB, 293x474px) Image search: [Google]
Arcade Cabinet.png
289KB, 293x474px
Built pic related over the course of spring-winter 2014.

Made my own controls with an I-PAC2, using Suzo-Happ & Industrias Lorenzo sticks & buttons (went with the 8-way competition sticks). I used a home-built i3 machine with a fair amount of RAM & disk space, plus I have working coin doors. I built the entire cabinet using maple cabinetry-grade plywood & red oak edgebanding, instead of using plastic t-moulding.

Also used an origina Neo-Geo marquee plate, but printed my own insert for it because I'm a lazy fuck.

Runs MAME 0.182 with its ROMset.

The beautiful part is that I used a 2-appliance relay switch hooked up to my PC's power supply, so whenever I boot up the arcade's PC, it also turns on both the 27" LCD & the marquee. When the PC's powered down, the screen & marquee also power down.

As a bonus, I have an illuminated trackball & 4 USB ports, for charging phones & using AimTrak guns.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (333KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
333KB, 420x315px
>>1170230
>>
File: 1490746299468.jpg (19KB, 409x393px) Image search: [Google]
1490746299468.jpg
19KB, 409x393px
>>1170230
>Build full-soze cabinet
>Run everything from a Raspberry Pi
>>
>>1170503
https://youtu.be/K3QXLQ1UXqs
>>
>>1170230
thats a beautiful cabinet anon, im jealous.
>>
>>1168607
This is a great looking cabinet. Details? Where did you get the marquee? Is it vinyl wrapped?
>>
>>1170546
>>1170551
I got the marquee from an arcade repair shop; it wasn't wrapped in anything & just collecting dust in their warehouse, so I cleaned it as best as I could. It does have some serious scratches, but eh; what do you expect for $5 Canadian?

I also used the plans for the Arcade Paradise 3, which you can grab from here:

http://www.arcadeparadise.org/arcade/ap3/

It was fun actually building it; the real nightmare was paintng it because I was using high-gloss paint on everything. I should have just used the high gloss paint on the control panel & left the rest of the cabinet a mat black.

I actually have the luxury of living in Toronto Canada, meaning that there's a brick & mortar store for Sega's ill-fated Playdium arcade, selling components & other shit like that. So I didn't have to order a thing online.

But for parts, if you're going to order from online, I've used Suzo-Happ & Industrias Lorenzo for coin mechs, coin door, joysticks, buttons & marquee backlight, while I used UltimArc for their AimTrak guns & their U-Trak trackball.

As for Sanwa, I actually find the UltimArc Sanwa stick clones to be much better quality than the original sticks. Plus, if you're American, you'll have better shipping times & probably better shipping costs if you buy from UltimArc or Suzo-Happ.
>>
>>1170538
>Actually doing what >>1170503 mentioned
Disgusting.
>>
File: bartop arcade.jpg (1MB, 1915x3044px) Image search: [Google]
bartop arcade.jpg
1MB, 1915x3044px
>>1167148
Made my own bartop last year. Used an intel g3258 and a GTX 750 ti.

Used some sanwa sticks then got some battops for them. The buttons I forget. They light up.
The wiring was a major pain with the lights.
>>
File: 2017-05-01 14.20.59.jpg (217KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-01 14.20.59.jpg
217KB, 1024x768px
>>1170222
>>1170551
The marquee is just a printed white sheet of paper glued to the back of some plexi. I put an LED strip in the cabinet and some foil tape around the LED strip to diffuse the light. Pretty simple

The button just click in a funny way. It's as simple as that. I don't find them satisfying to click and the joystick is a simple 4 axis so it can be difficult to work on games that use a lot of 2 direction stuff, like shooting at an angle in contra. The travel to get the angle is too great, and if you're more in one direction than the other you don't point reliably.
>>
File: 1493386813871.png (130KB, 409x520px) Image search: [Google]
1493386813871.png
130KB, 409x520px
>>1170607
nifty
>>
I got a converted Space Invaders cabinet with a raspberry pi running emulation station. I installed Happ controllers since they're easier to mount on plywood/MDF. I bought a zero delay kit somewhere online (I buy to much arcade shit to remember exact sellers) and there's no soldering anything to any pins. just a USB Jack to plug in. I get the whole diy thing, but, why would you commit to soldering pins and adding lines of code when you can just plug a USB controller setup? if you every want to upgrade the computer running your games, all you have to do is plug the USB board in.
>>
>>1170883
Umm... Most people use USB encoders like you do. Only those who are really into DIY electronics would bother making a harness for their Raspberry Pi's GPIO or hack a USB keyboard for that shit.
>>
>>1170884
that's my point. op seems to want to wire directly onto the gpio pins. there's no need. I'm working on converting a Lethal Enforcers cabinet right now. I just have to work out the joysticks (sanwa) into the stock control panel. I'm using old computer parts (I-57 3570, msi geforce video card) and running hyperspin instead of the plain emulation station on the pi. once I'm done with this one, I'll go jamma and get a Pandora's box cartridge. way cheaper, no software to configure, and best at all, no computer parts to figure out/buy.
>>
>>1170891
>that's my point. op seems to want to wire directly onto the gpio pins. there's no need
Actuallu, considering that a USB encoder's pretty pricey, wiring controls to the GPIO pins using an IDE hard drive ribbon cable's way cheaper & can be just as easy.

Of course, though; USB encoders are far more convenient & if you're in this hobby to begin with, you already have enough money to afford these parts anyways. But eh; some people are even daring enough to make full stand-up arcade cabinets out of cardboard.
>>
>>1170898
$8 is not pricey.
>>
>>1170898
and considering the time spent doing the wiring, it actually costs more. time is the important factor here. one hour out of your life will never be gained back... ever. just plug the $8 encoder in spend your hour doing something worthwhile.
>>
>>1170900
>>1170905
Then post where they sell $8 USb encoders. Most cost over $20. I-PAC costs a lot, actually. And if complaining about losing an hour over over making your own harness is your thing, then you shouldn't be in this hobby at all; you probably make less money since you're working minimum wage flipping burgers anyways.

By the way, it will take the same amount of time to wire up a USB encoder as it does wiring up an IDE cable to your controls. Think before you say.
>>
>>1170970
just look them up on AliExpress. free shipping, too.

I work in a laboratory, and I make a decent amount of money, that's why I value my time. it's people that make shit money that don't value their time because 1 hour to them is only worth $7-$8.
>>
and no, it will not take the same amount of time to wire up an IDE cable. I don't think you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>1171055
>Ali Baba
>$8 USB encoder
You get what you pay for.

inb4 the house burns down because of a USB electrical fire
>>
>>1171082
learn to voltage, anon. you might as well warn people about headphones catching on fire.
>>
>>1171099
>lrn2voltage
It's current, dumb-ass.
>>
>>1171099
>Implying 5V can't set fire to anything
See >>1171125
5V at 500 mA & then you short the foltage lines together, causing infinite current.

Enjoy burning your house down, bruv.
>>
>>1171137

why would you do that? that's like warning people about setting their carpets on fire.
>>
>>1171137
the risk of setting your house on fire greatly increases when you start soldering wires left and right. nice way to derail the thread, dumb assholes.
>>
>>1171150
>Scaring people off from making their own Raspberry Pi GPIO control harnesses
Nice going, man. You spooked off a generation of DIYers.
>>
>>1171152
I wasn't the one talking about shit catching on fire. I was just saying that USB encoders are the way to go, then some idiot implied that they catch on fire.
>>
File: bartop soul calibur.jpg (862KB, 1424x1920px) Image search: [Google]
bartop soul calibur.jpg
862KB, 1424x1920px
>>1170866
Thanks.
Having a bar arcade brings back memories for me and my friends when we used to go to the arcades to waste our allowance.
Now they just come over and play for free.
>>
My setup :
Sanwa JLF-TPRG-8AYT-SK Silent Microswitch Joystick
Sanwa OBSFS Silent 30mm Pushbuttons
Modmypi Zero Delay USB Encoder
Works great with my RPI3

Also my screen is 10" lcd + driver from adafruit

For kids smaller button can be better if you build a small cab like a bartop..
>>
Anybody rocking a CRT? I wanna see some proper old skool setups
>>
>>1171396
Agreed. CRTs
>>
>>1172086
If you're going with CRTs, MAME itself isn't that good for it. AdvanceMAME is, but it's limited to the 0.106 ROM set.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.