[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you have 8 drills anon? You need 8 drills.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 31

File: notenoughmakita.jpg (110KB, 762x960px) Image search: [Google]
notenoughmakita.jpg
110KB, 762x960px
Why don't you have 8 drills anon?

You need 8 drills.
>>
>>1165049
Why do I need eight drills
>>
>>1165051
How can you even without 8 drills?
>>
>>1165053
Ten thousand drillbits
>>
>>1165055
>>>1165053 (You)
>Ten thousand drillbits
You slut
>>
>>1165049
why? i dont need them
2 or 3 for things i doo its OK, 8 is over kill
>>
>fill shop with tools
>no room to work

This must be what hell is like.
>>
>>1165049
If you actually used cordless drills you would have 8 batteries rather than 8 drills.
>>
>>1165049
I have two cordless drills. The kids have one cordless each which equals two. Then I have the new impact drill and the old. Also the big hilti and a drill press.
It's not eight I have and they aren't all cordless but in my car I have seven plus the drill press which obviously doesn't travel. So the family have eight drills!
Oh! And one air powered drill which is so underpowered that I never use it.
>>
>>1165078
Full use you the 3ah Makita batteries charge in 20 mins and you can drain it in around 5 minutes with the cordless angle grinder on full blast (their most power hungry tool)

So really just 4 with 3 chargers
>>
>>1165049
Let's see. Cordless. Big corded. Little corded. Metalworking drill press. Shopsmith, Bit and brace. Large egg beater. Small egg beater. Looks like I'm good.
>>
File: 1492798754064.jpg (21KB, 207x240px) Image search: [Google]
1492798754064.jpg
21KB, 207x240px
>>1165049
Mfw only have 3 drills and no /4" bit driver.
>>
I'll bite:
my cordless drill, work's cordless drill, corded drill, drill press, Dremel, cordless Dremel....
Does it count that I have a Jacob's chuck for the tailstock of my wood lathe?
>>
>>1165049
Thats thirteen drills you moron
>>
>>1165049
I own a drillpress and a corded drill.

Rechargable drills can fuck off.

Small battery-powered screwdrivers however are fucking boss.
>>
>>1165314
I like having one good quality cordless drill. Helps for around-the-house stuff where you just don't want the inconvenience of a bulky drill with cord.

I've got a 18V cordless, a small 9V "cordless screwdriver", small drill press, and a corded hammer drill.

Only other cordless I have is a multi-crafter, one of those little vibrating dealies.

I don't really get the cordless meme. They're more expensive, batteries don't last forever, they're heavier, and they're far less powerful than their corded counterparts. Unless you REALLY need the portability/lack of cord, why bother?

Fucking impact guns, angle grinders, etc... Why? Just why?
>>
>>1165318
>>1165314

I only have a corded one for heavy jobs like drilling 2cm holes through concrete.

Other then that a battery powered drill(and an impact driver) are great for most stuff I do. Like now I'm spending a lot of time on the roof and glad to have cordless tools. Same with my circular saw.

All those cables would be in my way the entire time.
>>
>>1165053
>>1165049
>>1165051
Looks like he kept buying new drills and tools for the extra battery but didn't know you could buy an extra battery on its own.

>>1165053
>>1165078
I use 2 drills for most framing jobs. 1 for drilling pilot holes and one for installing screws. Those are wee tiny small drills. I use a couple beefy corded drills for serious work.

I also have like 6 or so manual drills (pic.) I use those a lot more than the powered drills.
>>
>>1165562
What upside do manual drills have???
>>
>>1165314
I was once like you, then I saw the light.
Cordless drill for anything other than concrete. Corded sds for any time I should be wearing ear defenders.
>>
>>1165585
Cheaper, lighter, last longer, better in confined spaces, don't spark (if flammable gas is an issue), work where there is no electricity, don't use batteries, better torque for the weight, better finesse control, can be had used for next to nothing, and look fucking cool.
>>
>>1165602
Out of all those reason less than half are close to true.
>Cheaper?
Maybe, if you can even find them used and rusty and possible not working, if new your just plain wrong.
>Lighter
Probably not, theres a minimum size you can get and they are basically all steel, at best its about the same
>Last longer
Ill give you this one
>Better in confined spaces
Seriously? really, your gonna tell me that any of the drills in your pic take up less space while being used than a basic cordless.
>dont spark
Who works around flammable gas in the air first off, second off, steel definitely will spark.
>work there is no electricity
Batteries are a thing? With one and a spare I can get through 8 hours of screwing Sheetrock no problem, charge at home, and if you need more you can always just get another battery
>dont use batteries
what downside is there exactly to using a battery
>better torque for the weight
not really no, different drills do different things
>better finesse control
another maybe
>can be had used for next to nothing
rusty ones that may or may not work, maybe
>look fucking cool
Maybe the only reason that makes sense to use one, you fucking hipster

So out of all of that 2 maybes, and only one that I cant argue with.
>>
>>1165562
No thanks, I like to get my work done in a timely fashion.
>>
>>1165585
They're a lot quieter than a power drill, so projects don't have to stop when there are people sleeping nearby.
>>
File: HelperDetective.jpg (113KB, 882x731px) Image search: [Google]
HelperDetective.jpg
113KB, 882x731px
>tfw not sure if impact driver is just a meme or if i really should get one
>>
>>1165586
Yeah. Shit nickle drills ruined my life.

That lifepo4 tho
>>
>>1165884
It makes driving screws way easier. If you're not screwing off a deck or drywall, or driving a lot of 3" screws, I'm not sure you can justify the expense though.
>>
>>1165884
They're great but overpowered for small stuff, though their shape/lenght also makes them more easier for screwing compared to standard drill imo.

They are quite noisy though.
>>
>Why don't you have 8 drills anon?

Milwaukee x 3 including one Hole Hawg
Makita x 1
Millers Falls hand drill with level
Rockwell x 1
Dewalt x 1
Black and Decker x 1

Pneumatic drill x 3

Twin quill antique drill press
Bridgeport round ram milling machine

Dremels and RotoZip for babby holes.

Bit braces and Yankee screwdriver but I almost never use those.

Probably a couple more I forgot about.
>>
>>1165849
Brushes in brushed motors will spark, but just buy a brushless drill.
>>
File: IMAG0142.jpg (885KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0142.jpg
885KB, 1920x1080px
Added a Porter Cable kit I got new for $20 since this was taken.
>>
File: IMAG0212.jpg (988KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0212.jpg
988KB, 1080x1920px
>>1166359
>>
>>1166359
>secondary handles on babby drill
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING GIMP!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>1166359
How are the kobalts
>>
File: 1403463119480.jpg (35KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1403463119480.jpg
35KB, 720x540px
>>1166359
>actually owns black and decker
>2 of them
>>
>>1166389
Equally comfy to hold on the Milwaukee, and I usually only reach for that for bigger holes or through metal, so I leave it on, better safe than sorry. I usually reach for the DeWalt for small stuff, because it's comfier and lighter(Milwaukee is a hammer drill, and has 5Ah batteries vs 1.5Ah DeWalts). Took that shortly after I got the Kobalt, so still had the handle on from trying it out.
>>1166393
I like the impact better than the Milwaukee, but wouldn't take the drill over Milwaukee/DeWalt/Porter Cable. The impact has a finish mode button, where each pull of the trigger will only do 3 impacts, which is great for me, as I haven't got the hang of the impacts as well as the drills yet, and the Milwaukee is a beast(2897-22 kit). The drills handle is nice, it can slip on from the front, and then both sides are threaded, so it takes about half a turn to secure it, versus having just one jaw threaded on the Milwaukee, and needing to loosen it enough to fit over where it goes. Small batteries are fucking cheap, $10/$20 for 1.5Ah/2Ah, but they get more typically priced if you're powering the other tools in the lineup($50/$80 for 4Ah/5Ah). Comfort-wise, it's pretty comparable to current stuff, I like it. I haven't really used it much, so I can't attest to it's power, but my complaints are that it's got a weird spin-up time that I've never had a drill do. It's minor, but it takes around 1/4 of a second to hit full speed. It also does this weird thing where, if it hasn't been used in the past couple hours, or this is the first used since inserting the battery, it doesn't turn on for about half a second. It's only that first time, and the impact does it too. I like the Milwaukee and Kobalt battery release better than DeWalt's. It also doesn't brake so hard it loosens the chuck like the DeWalt.

tl;dr I like the Kobalt stuff, but it loses the "how it feels in the hand" review versus 2/3 big names. Way cheaper though, so consider what's important.
>>
>>1166400
One was my first drill. The other was a $7 mistake. My old one wobbled, I figured, hey, clearance, same battery, let's see if I can replace my old one for not much! Nope. Spun straight, but somehow weaker than the 10+ year one. Figured at that point I'd spring for the Milwaukee kit. Found the DeWalt and Kobalt kits $60 each at Lowe's later on, couldn't pass up opening up cordless line options for a price like that.
>>
>corded black decker matrix, bought on clearance for $20
>80s 3/8in Milwaukee hammer drill USA made
>80s 1/2in Sears Professional drill (black decker USA made)
>80s Ryobi mud mixer USA made
>00s makita 3/8 drill Japanese made
>corded Porter Cable impact driver

Matrix was an impulse buy because of its price and because it has a clutch.
Bought the Impact Driver because I tried one out and its awesome for driving screws, and it was one of the very few corded impacts.

Everything else was bought second hand for dirt cheap.
I am really cheap and just cant seem to make the plunge for cordless tools. I dont make a living with them so I can deal with the cords, in exchange for never having to charge or replace a battery.
>>
File: mustafa.jpg (17KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
mustafa.jpg
17KB, 480x270px
>>1166359
>6 different battery lines
>6 different battery chargers
>>
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-heavy-duty-professional-magnesium-variable-speed-reversible-close-quarters-drill-with-keyless-chuck-63119.html

This is worth every penny, especially with a coupon
>>
File: Screenshot_20170423-171056.png (449KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170423-171056.png
449KB, 1440x2560px
>>1166406
Orange is the old shit being replaced. Green is a rotary tool($14 1 battery kit btw). Porter Cable was $20, and ended up being a great idea because I got pic related 4 days later.
>>
>>1165879
Because you're a nightowl who likes to DIY at night ...?
>>
>>1165856
> Not realising that most materials have drill speeds within hand crank ranges.

You must go through a lot of drillbits if you are not conscious of drilling speeds anon.
>>
I can understand 8 drills. Hell, I can understand 3 jigsaws. What I can't understand are TWO of those shitty battery radio things. Someone please explain this psycho for me.
>>
>>1166649
They only have one speaker. How else you gunna get stereo anon?
>>
>>1166413

those prices , how?
>>
>>1165049
QUICK, MITUTOYO OR STARRETT DIAL INDICATOR?
>>
>>1166359
>he doesn't have a mag-drill

pleb tier goy
>>
File: THIEF 1981.jpg (244KB, 1920x1080px)
THIEF 1981.jpg
244KB, 1920x1080px
>>1166678
>>
>>1166548
Yes, but parents with young children and people living with others on different work shifts face similar considerations.
>>
>>1165884
Good for stainless. Stainless screws snap easier on a normal drill.
>>
>>1165153
FUCK. I forgot to include my lathe and mill Jacobs and keyless chucks.

If I put a drill bit in my lathe chuck and another in my tailstock (which also takes taper shank bits of course) is that a double-drill?
>>
>>1166400
Mine are the old industrial versions.
>>
>>1166793
The big heavy things that are too large for a lot of projects and too cumbersome for the rest?
>>
>>1165849
If you don't know, why respond? Just get one and try it. You are really really reaching far to be contrarian for contrarian sake it seems.
>>
>>1165049
You don't really need more then 3, seems to me.
>>
>>1166816
>5 people working on a deck

2 waiting for a drill. Fail.
>>
>>1166854

I was about to say that I don't have enough people working for me to warrant 8 drills
>>
>>1166793
black and decker professional (now known as dewalt) is perfectly fine
>>
>>1165318
>bulky drill with cord.
The cordless ones weight more than the corded ones and the weight balance is all fucky.

Corded drill forever.
Corded impact driver is also my BFF forever.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170410-090339.png (545KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170410-090339.png
545KB, 1440x2560px
>>1166664
When things get returned and they shouldn't have been(missing parts, not the batteries that came with it, etc), or parts get pulled out to replace stuff for customers, the retailer can't get money back from the vendor. When that happens, they mark 'em down. My Lowe's sometimes waits and sets out a few at once, so that day had a cart of DeWalt drills and kits, some impacts, a Porter Cable belt/disc sander, a Bosch jigsaw, and some other goodies. That angle grinder? Missing the nut that holds the blade on, $5 part. Nailer? Someone returned it with a black 1.3Ah battery instead of the included red 1.5Ah. Won't matter to me, I won't do enough sustained usage that I can't just recharge it, plus I got pic related 4 days earlier. The gyroscopic screwdriver... That wasn't a great purchase. It's just the bare tool and the soft bag. No battery or charger. Buying those separately would run about the same cost as buying a new kit, since it's the only 8v stuff DeWalt makes. But I needed some kinda tool bag for the small amount of electrical stuff I do around the house, and that's a reasonable price for just the bag. I'll probably see if I can fabricobble some kinda battery sled and just grab a couple 18650 cells for it. Saw a teardown online where the $10 Kobalt 24v battery actually had nice name brand cells, might just grab one of those for the cells.
>>
File: IMAG0256.jpg (869KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0256.jpg
869KB, 1080x1920px
>>1166922
Oh, and the best part of that haul? The night before, I got it in my head that I should get a nailer, just to help hold things together for glue-ups. I figured an 18ga would be ideal, but a 16 would work if I found one on sale. Turns out it wasn't only the wrong battery, it was the wrong nailer.

Got a spare shitty $40 saw missing $5 worth of parts for $10 a while back too.
>>
>>1165884
If you're driving something at an awkward angle or dangerous location (on a ladder near a power line) then it's quite useful even if you only have to use it infrequently. They are quite loud but very powerful. If you're driving things all day long like decking and such then you should probably get one. Make sure you don't overdrive it, either. Make sure you get the correct size for what you're driving if you're driving large bolts and whatnot.
>>
>>1166413
Are those prices for the actual tools anon
>>
>>1166922

oh cool so the screen shot must have been from your mylowes account nice deals you find there.
>>
File: FullSizeRender 2.jpg (99KB, 640x354px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
99KB, 640x354px
>>1166359
>in order of spectrum
I like you.
>>
>>1166993
>knowing what MyLowe's is
You must work here too, because you sure as fuck aren't one of the people stopping by customer service.
>>
>>1167017
I was going for a rainbow, but I don't know of any brands worth owning that come in purple. Plenty of brands to flesh out the spectrum, but no purple. 20v Kobalt(18v was NiCad, ew) was darker blue, Bosch pro is dark blue, consumer is green, Metabo is green, Hilti is red, Fein is orange, Festool is kinda Ryobi green with Bosch blue, so doesn't really fit in, Ryobi is green obviously, Ridgid is orange, new Li-Ion Black & Decker is definitely more orange than it used to be, Makita is an ugly teal, but they have white, I think a new subcompact that's black, maybe a little blue in some lights, and there was a promotional breast cancer awareness pink DF330DWXP 10.8v 3/8" drill... I feel like I'm missing something important, but it's not coming to me. I think short of getting a legendary Hilti for heavy duty, or a Festool for the precision, I'm pretty well set. If I see a deal on breaking into the Makita 18v system, fuck yea I'll grab it, but I think Ryobi is realistically the only one I might still get, just because it has some interesting stuff, and I could never justify the cost of TTI's nicer brands for some of the odd tools. $40 for a Ryobi electric caulk gun vs $200 for Milwaukee's M18 version, or $150 for the M12 that I'd need batteries for too, that kinda stuff.
>>
>>1165884

I thought the same thing until i used one. I will never go back to not having one ever again.

Personaly i went with DeWalt since my dad and a few friends all had their 20v line and i had some other tools from it as well.

I saw that home depot had the combo set on sale (at the time) for $300. so i walked into lowes and grabed up their last box, took it up to the customer service counter to enjoy their price match + an extra %10 off policy.
>>
>>1165585
They work underwater.
>>
>>1167057
So do corded drills, they become gene pool cleaners.
>>
Buy a magdrill, trust me bros.
>>
>>1167042
I know, It sucks. I made this diagram a few years ago from some power-tool company list on Wikipedia, hence the inclusion of a few obscure-as-fuck brands, and the exclusion of a few common brands. Also stop making me look autistic.
>>
Installing Xubuntu, first time using Linux in years.
>Encrypt the new Xubuntu installation for security
Does this affect performance? And if I need to fuck with the drive using another computer, is there a way to unencrypt it? Knowing the key, obviously.
>Use LVM with the new Xubuntu installation
What is this and should I use it?
>>
>>1165049
Looks like General Grievous was /diy/
>>
>>1168067
I think you're on the wrong board pal
>>
>>1168067
>>>/g/
>>
>>1165849
>Cheaper?
>Maybe, if you can even find them used and rusty and possible not working, if new your just plain wrong.

Used and working they're cheaper. Unless you mean hazardfraud crap an old working drill is going to run you no more than 30$ for one in nice (but not "collectable") condition. Lack of an electricity bill on them is small but adds up.

>Lighter
>Probably not, theres a minimum size you can get and they are basically all steel, at best its about the same

Have you ever held one of these? They're super light. Batteries and motors are fucking heavy.

>Better in confined spaces
>Seriously? really, your gonna tell me that any of the drills in your pic take up less space while being used than a basic cordless.

Ehhh this one is debatable. Most require 2 hands to use however their overall size is a lot smaller so it's more like "better for areas with less clearance." Because "confined spaces" makes me think of the times when you're laying on your back or upside down or keeping yourself stable with one hand. Of course a yankee drill will still be the most potentially useful there but they have a lot less torque.

>dont spark
>Who works around flammable gas in the air first off, second off, steel definitely will spark.

This one is also weird. Yes people do work around things that can spark - that is why spark-proof tools are a thing. Not just flammable gasses but also flammable fluids that may or may not get on your gloves and shit. But I don't really see how a hand drill is spark-proof. Maybe if he's drilling very very slowly?

>work there is no electricity
>Batteries are a thing? With one and a spare I can get through 8 hours of screwing Sheetrock no problem, charge at home, and if you need more you can always just get another battery
>what downside is there exactly to using a battery

$$ to charge, heavy, if one dies on you while the other is charging or if you drop/lose the battery accidentally you're SOL. Plus you can't burn the motor out.
>>
>>1166401
> It also does this weird thing where, if it hasn't been used in the past couple hours, or this is the first used since inserting the battery, it doesn't turn on for about half a second. It's only that first time, and the impact does it too.

Something something capacitors.

>>1167042
>>1167472
The Original Pink Box (Viper Tool Storage's line of pink tools) sells pink things. For drills there's a cheaper NiCad and a more pricey Li Ion. Both are 18v. The NiCad drill is the only one in their lineup that uses that battery and the options for the Li Ion are just a saw, impact wrench and flashlight, so you're not really opening up a lot of options by getting into it unless you are so into that arizona tea aesthetic that you pair it with hitachi on your bench.

Supposedly they don't suck for tools whose main draw is based on their appearance.
>>
>>1165049
>4 drills
>4 impact drivers
FTFY
>>
>>1165049
Boss, my Makitas broke.
>>
>>1168067
Sorry, had multiple tabs open and was half asleep! Apparently I was scrolled to the bottom of the wrong one when I posted.
>>
File: skil.jpg (131KB, 1500x758px) Image search: [Google]
skil.jpg
131KB, 1500x758px
>>1165049

>cordless saws

No thanks.
>>
File: i-XZCVMPb-L.jpg (57KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-XZCVMPb-L.jpg
57KB, 338x600px
>>1168502
They're convenient.
>>
>>1168502

Get on my level
>>
File: 5402NA_act_1[1].jpg (211KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
5402NA_act_1[1].jpg
211KB, 500x500px
>>1168530
That is a cute little baby saw. Did you get it on sale at Toys R Us?
>>
>>1165049
8 FUCKING BEARS
>>
>>1168540

>doesn't even say skill
>>
>>1168184

they're called hammer drills for a reason
>>
>>1168755
Ok,
4 hammer drills
4 impact drivers
>>
File: 20170428_114253.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px)
20170428_114253.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>1165049
>tfw sitting in muh shanty in a 19 story we're building surrounded by thousands of $$ of Dewalt tools.
I see your 8 drills and raise you 5 compound miter saws
>>
>>1168792
Do they even slide?
>>
>>1168755
I really hope you arent implying an impact driver and hammer drill are the same thing.
>>
>>1169374
One.
It has its own gang box with a fold up table and stands,and doesn't get used near as much as the others.
>>
It may derail the thread but is this a good project? I do not have a lot of money for tools and I have limited space, would this video be a good startup for a project?

https://youtu.be/aTFwqJKxQpw
>>
>>1170251
Nah
The quality of your fence and table top (and in this case too, modular drop in plates) can make or break your project.
The amount of work that goes into making these accurate is immense and IMO not great for a beginner.

You see how his "table saw" module had him just clamping a piece of wood to the table? He didnt even make a fence system.
>>
>>1168525
They also make about 3.5 cuts per battery...
>>
>>1170255
Sounds good then. I may just get used tools for now until I build my skill instead of attempting something way beyond my current skill level
>>
>>1168175
>>1165849
I can totally verify the weight thing, they are usually light as fuck compared to Electric drills even without batteries.
>>1165562

My grandpa had the Knobby fucker on the far right, weighed maybe 1/4 you're average electric drill.

It can be a pain in the arm when drilling for a bit but I found it encouraged good habits with proper measurement.

The electric drills are damn quick and essential for prompt work, I honestly like the manual ones more for the control and precision when I have time to spare or am trying to do something delicate.
>>
>>1170256
If that's the 7 1/4" Milwaukee with a 4Ah, you get about 85 cuts... At full depth.
https://www.tool-rank.com/tool-blog/reviews/review-milwaukee-2731-m18-fuel-7-1-4-cordless-circular-saw-201410171707/
>>
>>1170289
Why do people throw about Ah ratings instead of Wh ratings when one of them is far more useful when comparing tools that run off different voltages? Or is it more likely that you know how many amps your battery drill pulls rather than how many watts it uses?
>>
>>1166389
A fucking dremel os heavy after 12 hours of use anon. Calm yourself
>>
>>1166792
ITT lathe porn
>>
File: FB_IMG_1493400006224.jpg (114KB, 750x729px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1493400006224.jpg
114KB, 750x729px
>>1167042
Mfw he doesnt have a world class painter lay flake on his black and decker drills...
>>
>>1167057
Why would i ever need a drill underwater? Pump air to AquaCoffinBro?
>>
>>1168540
COME AT ME BRO
>>
>>1168792
/thread
>>
>>1170301
I dunno but it makes me happy since im converting old nickle garage cell shit to lithium master race.
>>
>>1170427
>Gooch
>>
>>1170301
Because Ah are the numbers used to describe the batteries. If I was talking about the Milwaukee 4Ah battery, and you thought it sounded good and wanted to get one, Googling 72Wh Milwaukee battery would only turn up chinkshit, not the official batteries that we're discussing. If you're trying to compare batteries of differing voltages, just do the math yourself. It hardly matters anyways, because you aren't going to be able to use that 72Wh Milwaukee battery in place of the 2x54Wh Makita batteries, or whatever it is you're comparing, since they only fit in the brand they're made for. What matters is a test using that brands tool and battery together.
>>
>>1170756
It was more for comparing the lifecycle of a 18V tool to a 36V or 50V within a single brand's line, not wondering if it would be cheaper to bodge two batteries together. Besides, a "72Wh Milwaukee battery" search turning up chinkshit is the effect and "people measuring battery capacity in Ah" is the cause, not the other way around. If we used Wh in the beginning we wouldn't have this problem.
>>
>>1167026
I work at lowes as well but I've never seen a webpage with returned stuff like you have. We have a small table in our tool world that has a few useless items that I wouldn't buy. Are you using the basic myLowes on their website or is that something internal?
>>
>>1165049
I have about 30 drill bits, one cordless drill, and one corded drill. you don't need anything else. it's like having more than one dick, when you can only piss out of one at a time.
>>
>>1170805
double the dicks, double the pleasure
It's no one's fault but yours that you can't use two drills at once
>>
>>1170759
Fair enough. Outside of Flexvolt, when would that matter though? As far as I can tell, just using the Ah works for comparing battery life on every other line.
>>1170796
It's from my purchase history, viewed in the app. The Porter Cable drill screenshot was a regular clearance item, not a return that was marked down.
>>
>>1170815
I was using my drill press as a lathe to hold a small wooden workpiece with a bolt on it while I carved away at the inside with a corded drill with an ordinary twist drill bit, it was janky as fuck without any support.

How easy would it be to take a drill-press, turn it sideways, seperate the moving shaft+chuck and the motor and turn it into a perfectly good lathe? Ignoring lining everything up for now, could probably just bolt some 2x4s or bar stock to the sides to stiffen it up. It's probably easier to remove the motor and spring from their housing than constructing a new housing for the sliding tailstock. Apart from the new motor housing, the only things you'd need to add would be the tailstock lock and the tool rest. I found a 1/2 HP drill press on aliexpress for $51, anybody with less than $80 shipping want to give it a shot?
>>
>>1170815
why would you, except for doing dp without a dildo or another guy?.
>>
>>1170888
just take out the motor and mount it. why in the world you would want to run a drill press beats me. you could make a lathe with any motor, though. just mount it sideways.
>>
>>1170896
But a drill press has an almost complete tailstock with jacobs chuck, why wouldn't you use it?
>>
>>1170897
you could, but a drill press is a luxury, in a way. you might be better off taking the motor out of a cheap rotary saw. the benefits of a drill press are nicer than that of a makeshift lathe.
>>
>>1170899
There's not that much difference in price really maybe 1.5-2x for the same quality, it's not like I'd destroy my current, perfectly good harbour freight dri...
Ok maybe I'll buy a new drill press by someone decent and convert the old one. It doesn't have enough plunge distance to be used on some of my larger projects anyways.
>>
>>1170933
get a longer bit?
>>
>>1171102
No, plunge distance, by which I mean the amount that the chuck can move, so I can't drill hole longer than 12-15cm or something. I can make multiple plunges with a flat workpiece, but if I'm drilling a complex angle then it's better to do it in one pass.
>>
>>1170805
>30 drill bits
What, a set of HSS twist bits? Decent for most things but best at nothing. Bradpoints are better for small holes in wood, spade and Forstner bits are for large holes in wood. 135-degree split points are much better than standard twist for metal, and cobalt is much better than standard HSS for stainless. Carbide bits and diamond hole saws for masonry. Stubby bits for tight spots and extra-long bits for deep holes. Large twist bits for metal. Some hole saws. Step bits for sheet metal.
>>
>>1172918
nah, more like a shitload of bits acquired through the years, I buy and modify old arcade machine cabinets, so I don't need to drill into anything other than wood, or 1-2mm sheets of metal. all the Adamantium bits able to drill a perfect hole into Superman's balls would do absolute Jack shit for me.
>>
>>1166934
When do you drop by lowes to see those things?

I can't seem to find those deals in ours.
>>
Makita or Milwaukee 7inch 15 amp grinder?

life or death help.
>>
>>1174313

Both of those are good. Whichever is cheaper.
>>
>>1167057
Air drill
>>
Cordless driver drill, cordless impact drill, powered hammer drill, drill press.... well shit, guess i dont need 8 drills
>>
>>1174252
Ive been in my lowes and seen deals for returned stuff, or missing parts display stuff.
They deals are never all that great for me sadly
>>
>>1174252
Lunch. I work there.
>>
>>1174396
Lowe's has a terrible clearance section. They will have good sales though. Home Depot has a good clearance but every body keeps an eye on it that all the good stuff is gone.
>>
>>1165049
Im wondering about the 2 power planers..
>>
>>1174617
incase one breaks.
>>
>>1174617
One for each hand.
>>
>>1174617
twice the power. what are you, gay?
>>
>>1174958
>>1174955
lmao
>>
>>1170256
>>1170289
that one has a 9.0ah battery pack on it (166wh), which can make 181 cuts through a 2x12 off of a single charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlVn88HHZDQ
>>
>>1174313
>corded
Makita
>cordless
Milwaukee

easy rule to live by.
>>
>>1176293
How so?
>>
Has anybody had an experience with Black and Decker Matrix line of tools? Thinking about getting the drill and impact drivers only since those are the things we need most.
>>
>>1177504
Black and Decker cordless tools are pretty cheaply made these days, they are the bare bones consumer line Stanley Black and Decker sells for cheap at department stores like Target or Fred Meyer while proper hardware stores carry "good" power tool brands like Dewalt or Bosch. the Matrix line is the one with modular power heads for turning your drill into a number of different cutters and sanding tools; its an interesting gimmick but if you just want a drill and impact combo set it probobly wont do you much good.

call me a Home Depot shill but for someone looking for basic home use tools i always point to Ryobi's 18v One+ line. its been around for a long time and has a better selection than any other consumer level tool line out there, plus they are fairly cheap so you wont feel too bad if they crap out on you. for the same price as B&D this set gives you a pretty solid drill and impact driver set with the better Ryobi batteries and a free sawzall for cutting shit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-P1873/205907805

if you want smaller, more compact tools that are easy to carry around for quick jobs Milwaukee's M12 line is great. they are slightly less powerful than a full sized drill but give you all the same features and are really built to last compared to Ryobi or B&D tools.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-W-Free-6-0AH-Battery-2494-22-48-11-2460/302009315
>>
>>1177504
I got one with a few attachments for my brother, who is a new homeowner with very little DIY or power tool experience, so he could take care of small projects without having to call on relatives. When I checked it out before giving it to him, it seemed lightly built and weak compared to the high-end tools I usually use, but adequate for the light-duty odd jobs I expected my brother to use it for, and it seems to have worked fine so far.

The advantage of the Matrix is that purchasing an attachment is cheaper than buying a new tool of similar quality, and these can be swapped between a corded and cordless motor unit as appropriate for the job. If you're going to do a lot of projects or big projects, dedicated, more powerful tools would be better (I went this route), but it has its niche where it works well. In your case, where you just want a drill and impact driver, you may be better served with a standard combo kit. Choose a price point suited for what you'll need the tools to do.
>>
>>1177585
I don't want to sound dumb but what do you think about Ridgid tools? I heard they had good warranty but I never understood how it works.
>>
>>1177625
Rigid tools are fine, i call them "high-end home-use" tools since they are more powerful and have better features than consumer tools like Ryobi but arnt built to the same quality as something like Bosch or Makita.

the lifetime warranty is a nice selling feature but people forget to read their paperwork and Rigid is perfectly happy to screw people that didnt do it perfectly. first off you need to register the tools, batteries and chargers on their website within 30 days of purchase, and probobly keep your paperwork and receipt for a bit longer just in case they email you again needing additional information (this is how they Jew people).

second you need to remember that it is a "Lifetime Service Agreement", not a replacement warranty. you cant just walk into Home Depot 5 years later with a burnt out drill and expect a replacement off the shelf. for dead batteries and chargers just call the phone number on the bottom and Rigid will mail you new ones but tool repairs need to be done in-store. parts and labor will be covered for free though it may take a couple weeks depending on parts and how much time the technician has to work on them. one thing people tend to forget is that even if you dont register the tools Rigid has a basic 3 year warranty out of the box so newer tools are still covered for repairs though you might get charged for labor or shop fees. also batteries sold as part of kits have lifetime warranties, even if you register them batteries sold on their own only have a 3 year warranty so avoid them unless you are getting a good deal.
>>
>>1165318
>I don't really get the cordless meme. They're more expensive, batteries don't last forever, they're heavier, and they're far less powerful than their corded counterparts. Unless you REALLY need the portability/lack of cord, why bother?

Being less powerful, especially for drills, can be a good thing.
>>
>>1165602
>don't spark (if flammable gas is an issue),
They absolutely can spark and are heat sources.
>>
>>1167057
https://nemopowertools.com/
>>
>>1177713
Thanks for telling me that. I will keep that in mind the next time I am in to grab tools.
>>
>>1177738
Or someone could just make a corded drill with a variable-torque clutch, that would be nice.
>>
>>1178051

I've never understood this. It has to be a marketing thing, right? Or maybe they're just trying to cut costs on the corded ones by keeping the clutch off?
>>
>>1178053
How hard would it be to buy some nylon and some glass fibre, buy a corded and a cordless drill, combine the parts and cast your own drill? I'm thinking maybe they don't put these sorts of clutches on corded drills because they can't handle the maximum torque of a mains-voltage motor, but surely you could make a more skookum clutch.

Is there a compressed air alternative?
>>
>>1165049
yes i do but they shouldnt all be identical like in your pic because that's pointless
>>
>>1165049
this is maybe a shop class or some other workshop for multiple people to share? also, what are those electronics in the corner?
>>
>>1165318
Mobility can be magnificent and if you have enough batteries beats fighting with cords. I charge batteries off an inverter in my truck.

Much love for my 28V Milwaukee Sawzall. I've cut noses and ass ends off cars and trucks at a salvage yard, and it's helped renovate two houses and still going strong. The impact gets plenty of use on lug nuts etc. I put an abrasive cutting disk in the circular saw to supplement the angle grinder, which I modded to also take 6" cutting disks. I have more than enough corded and pneumatic tools for where those are win but portability to do jobs whose scale I know beforehand makes cordless more than pay for themselves.

With cordless, go large, though Milwaukee 18V units work quite nicely.
>>
>>1167109
Truth. Or buy milling machine. Or both.

I went with a used Bridgeport first and gave away my drill press.

If you use a mag drill, get Rotabroach hole cutters for it. They make adapters for mills too, since Rotabroaches cut so efficiently.
>>
>>1170431
Working on docks, boats etc comes to mind, or in very wet areas.
>>
>>1178114
Mold making, and the plastic injection process that goes with it, isn't easy to /diy/, and absolutely not worth it for a one-off part.

t. former Imperial Plastic employee.
>>
>>1180129
Good to know. I suppose it's the same for building your own headphones too huh. Would you know what sort of scale would be required for it to be worth making and selling gf-reinforced enclosures for headphones? I just want to know how expensive the plastic parts are in comparison to the required moulds and infrastructure, looking at the $70-$200 market.
>>
>>1180140
Getting molds made is going to run at least a grand, probably higher for any kind of detailed stuff. GF fill will wear molds fast, so you'd need more expensive materials for the mold for large runs. I can't imagine it being cost effective unless you're doing at least a thousand part run. Get quotes and crowdfund it if you want, I think it's possible, just not easily.
>>
>>1180348
Thanks.
>>
>>1165318
Hanging gutters with a corded drill would be a pain in the dick. But they all used to be hung with nails so I suppose it can't be much worse than that.
>>
File: Gdg7JB4.jpg (946KB, 2689x4781px) Image search: [Google]
Gdg7JB4.jpg
946KB, 2689x4781px
>>1166359
>all those different brands
>all in perfect shape

I bet some people here have more use on 1 drill than you have on all of those combined.
>>
File: 1480353647596.jpg (70KB, 869x501px)
1480353647596.jpg
70KB, 869x501px
>>1170256
>he still thinks we live in the NiCad era

I bet you think 4 cylinders are still garbage
>>
>>1180975
Isn't it only the last couple of years that even Li-ion is getting any good on the saws?
>>
>>1180972
For sure. You should see my dad's cordless dewalt. Damn thing has been going strong for 18-20 years now. Looks the part.
That's his only drill besides a corded one with a bent up chuck. I think it's a makita.
>>
>>1181334
my dad has an old 14.4v Panasonic from the late '90s that is still chugging along. the thing is covered in adhesives, weird chemical solvents and decades of grime but it still works fine even after 3 of the 4 NiCD batteries died. i bought him a top of the line Ridgid brushless hammer drill for Christmas a few years ago and i still find him using the panasonic more than anything else.
>>
>>1181438
That's cool
>>
>>1167472
this is part of the reason i keep coming back
/diy/ has the most fascinating flavors of autism, coupled with the ability to actually make something of it.

it's great
>>
>>1182726
Yeah that is cool
>>
>>1165049
As a black man in the U.S., I'm afraid to use some of Makita's new stuff.
>>
>>1183861
Why?
>>
File: 456WISMakitaLXTSubCompact1.jpg (31KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
456WISMakitaLXTSubCompact1.jpg
31KB, 600x450px
>>1183960
Makita's new subcompact 18v drills are black and look a little like handguns if you arnt careful.
>>
>>1184003
No longer puke color yeah
>>
>>1184003
Why are you posting Glocks here?
>>>/k/
>>
>>1184003

You don't spray paint your drills gay colors so its harder to run off with them?
>>
>>1183861
Put some hot pink hockey tape on it?
>>
>>1183861

you realize you need to be 50x more nervous of other melatonin gifted individuals than our blue buddies
>>
>>1184003
Why the fuck would they go away from their long standing teal color?
Its branding
>>
>>1184151
The same reason Apple changes colors sometimes.
>>
>>1184151
In Japan Makita makes drills in every color of the rainbow. They also have those white consumer level drills, this is just to differentiate the sub-compacts from the regular line.
>>
I haven't heard any disparaging nicknames for Makita. Why is this?
>>
No

I have one drill
One hammer drill
One impact driver
One sds rotary hammer
One wired drill
One wired hammer drill
One electric screwdriver (yes, they are useful and not shameful to me)
One precision engraver

That's all anyone needs, maybe an impact wrench as well
>>
>>1184230
Because its the only thing people in yurp can afford, and because the market share in the USA is super low
>>
>>1184186
This isnt a great comparison, because since the 90s apple has had different tiers with different colors. The lineage isnt the same as 40+ years straight of a single color for every single product

>>1184216
The white line in the USA is a recent thing.
If you bought a makita in the USA in the last 40 years it was teal.

Changing to a darker teal and white was a dumb idea, but now going straight to black?
Baffling, especially since Skil and Black and Decker and other low end brands have all black drills.
>>
>>1165049
You can buy dildo adapters for reciprocating saws.
>>
>>1184259
There was a news clip of a guy that stuck a dildo on a reciprocating saw blade and stuck it in his girl and turned it on, well the blade tore the dildo to bits as well as his girlfriend
>>
>>1184287

and you don't actually put it on a god damn blade unless you're vlad the downie impaler
>>
>>1170805
That's a really poor analogy, mate.

Two dicks would essentially do the exact same things, whereas there are a number of types of drill.
>>
>>1184258
The pleb tier Makita stuff is now red in the UK
>>
>>1185265

>tfw you're a Phillips but she's a star drive
>>
I have two drills: A generic 18v drill driver for most work that doesn't involve drilling into masonry, and a 220v SDS hammer drill for anything else that does, including chiselling or bursting. Not found a job yet I've not been able to do, including drilling a 100mm diameter hole through a 150mm thick reinforced concrete wall.
>>
>>1165049

i just use nails
>>
>>1185961
I'd like to see you use the nail equivelent of a 26cm screw though, that'd be funny
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-31-18-37-05-1.png (286KB, 1025x1183px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-31-18-37-05-1.png
286KB, 1025x1183px
New fag here
Random question.
Would buying this be a mistake?
>>
>>1186308
$350 American dollars? Fuck yes it would be a mistake. That is way more than it is worth.
>>
>>1186319
I looked at other brands and they are all $350+ for these 1/2 drive 600+lbft models.
Snapon version being $600
Are there cheaper ones that aren't shit?
>>
>>1186320
Pneumatic ?
>>
>>1186320
Milwaukee is shit
>>
>>1186388
no, its overpriced Chinese shit, actually. HD/TTI DF Shill Moonie Brigade incoming in 5,4,3..
>>
>>1186388
Can you back that up with proofs??
4chan says everything is shit.
>>
>>1186395
>HD/TTI DF Shill Moonie Brigade incoming in 5,4,3..

What else do you expect when you say retarded shit?

Every other brand in the same price range is "chinese shit". Of course except for DeWalt, which just ships chinese parts to the US where an illegal immigrant cobbles it together.

Do you have an alternative to buying chinese tools?
>>
>>1186397
>Can you back that up with proofs??

AVE said so
Keep your dick in a vise!
>>
>>1186308
Only for that price. Of all the common brands in the US, Milwaukee and Makita are top tier, with DeWalt arguably also being tied or slightly worse.
>>
>>1186308
Do you really need your impact wrench to be cordless?
>>
>>1186683
Obviously he does, everyone knows he could get the same power for 1/3 of the price if he had a proper air compressor.

And corded ones are dogshit and way less powerful than corded ones because they cant pull the same amount of amperage all at once
>>
>>1186723
find me a corded (not pneumatic, corded) impact wrench that puts out 1000+ ft/lbs of torque like the latest cordless models do.
>>
>>1186308
Home Depot has the same set with a bigger battery for $329 right now.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Cordless-High-Torque-Impact-Wrench-with-One-5-0Ah-Battery-2763-21XC/301099969
>>
File: IMAG0379.jpg (926KB, 1920x1080px)
IMAG0379.jpg
926KB, 1920x1080px
I have 8 drills now. These two were $15.
>>
>>1184075
Woah why haven't I done that I'm going to paint dumb shit on all my tools.

>>1186308
>>1186943
I caught the Milwaukee rep at Homo Depot a while ago when I was getting the 18v Fuel drill/driver set, got a big discount and a free sawzall for ~300 bucks. Milwaukee master race.

For everyone who hates cordless tools b/c you used daddy's NiCad instadie drill, it's different now. Idk what all of Milwaukee's buzzwords are for but their 18v Fuel battery has a regulator so it delivers consistent power and just stops when it's low, instead of slowly getting weaker as the battery nears end of charge. I'm sure Makita and the other good brands do the same.

Some things are kinda dumb though: they've got SMART DRILLZ that have bluetooth stats and THE CLOUD and shit, so now your drill can be part of a botnet! It does let you set up profiles so you can say "start screwing at 1000 RPM for two seconds, then 9001 RPM for 1 second" so if you have to use a specific screw over and over it does it all for you. Idk why every product has to make a halfass attempt at "smart" these days. The profiles may be useful to some though it sounds like a pita to set up.
>>
>>1187581
Idk what all of Milwaukee's buzzwords are for but their 18v Fuel battery
Fuel is their brushless stuff. Batteries won't be Fuel branded, they're just batteries.
>>
>>1186308
It's a professional and pretty powerful turner. For home use you'd choose a simpler one.
>>
Are 12V impact drivers enough for drilling 4x4s?
>>
>>1188943
Yes, but why would you drill with an impact?
>>
>>1188943

you'll need an adapter I've never seen a 4x4 fit in a 12v
>>
>>1187573
how?
>>
>>1189185
Clearance at Lowes. Only downside is that they're displays, so only the single battery, and no charger(so it comes to $35/ea, really). I know another store that's going to clearance them as well, so I'm checking back daily, they'll have full kits. Battery voltage cutoff is high enough that they charged right back up, but I'm sure they're not at 100%.
>>
>>1165049
>You need 8 drills.
I need 4 :

- Drill press
- One hand drill for pilot holes
- One hand drill for counter sink bit
- One impact drill for screw bit

Note that 2 of these could be combined into one with those hole + countersink bits.
>>
>>1165884
They're really fun to use. TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT!!!
Like firing a gun directly into the screw.
>>
>makita shit
I'd rather have no tools than any makita tool
>>
>>1189684

good thing u obviously have no tools then
>>
Oh haha

I get it

cause you're a handyman :)
>>
>>1165049
I have 3 drills, 4 if you include the drill press.
>>
File: IMG_2839.jpg (56KB, 627x626px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2839.jpg
56KB, 627x626px
>>1189684
>>
>>1165884
Depends how much drilling you do, real handy to have your primary for pilot holes and your secondary for screws. Also drilling holes for gate gudgeons is a real cunt with a hammer drill or impact.
>>
>>1190718
Ha! That was me asking that question. I recently picked up a drill and impact driver kit from an amazon father's day sale. Kit cost less than an impact driver alone. Anyway, i am thrilled with the impact driver. I even tried taking a lug nut off my car to see if it could do it. It did it with shocking ease. Fantastic.
>>
File: IMAG0009.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0009.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
What's the best way to sell off a DeWalt DCD771C2 kit? 8 drills is too many to have none of them be a right angle, and I realized I don't give a fuck about DeWalt's lineup.

Also, Bosch or Milwaukee for 18v right angle drills?
>>
>>1165061
LMAO
>>
>>1165061
>have big ass room
>no tools other than a drill and my father in law's miter that I borrowed
>no more reclaimed wood
I am so bored
>>
File: IMG_20170614_152536387.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170614_152536387.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>1184003
Always have the drill with me. The impact is pointless when they have the TD170 tho.
Thread posts: 231
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.