[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

INDOOR FARMING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 16

File: n-vegefactory-b-20140825.jpg (1MB, 3968x2574px) Image search: [Google]
n-vegefactory-b-20140825.jpg
1MB, 3968x2574px
I want to learn about hydroponics.Everything including what kinds of lights to use, PH balances, best nutrients and setup architecture etc.

The idea is to turn 4 tiny old shacks into indoor gardens. Because I may invest in this kinds of setups in the future I want to do this right to maximize yields.

Where can I learn about this? Is there a goto book or source?
>>
File: Snapchat-1958720224.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1958720224.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>1156676
All I know is that you need strong lights, certain spectrum range LEDS will do great for plant growth, maybe cut some skylights, and even better, would be to do aquaponics, where you have a few fish in the bottom, and water pumps from the fish enclosure, up to the top where the plants are, and back down, could get costly for startup though

But I have a micro setup of what you are doing, just a single koi tank with a Pickerel Weed growing in it, it specifically is a pond plant meant for maximum growth in water. In our fish-less pond it grows maybe an inch a week, in the tank it has grown 2 inches per day (combined inches from all stalks, all one plant though).

No lights in my tank, just next to a window. Koi is very happy, plant is very happy.

>Pic related
>but shitty.jpg
>>
>>1156676
I share officespace with a startup that's been doing this for a few years now.

'old shack' needs to be a 'well sealed, climate controlled, and super clean shack' first. Else you'd be better with a 'LED supplemented greenhouse' approach.

The 'metro' style restaurant shelving shown in your pic related is kinda shitty for cleaning. The company also makes a plastic version that is easier to wipe down. If you have space, I think the normal standardized warehouse pallet shelving is the way to go. The building inspector people will freak out less as it's already built to code(s) if you want commercial scale.

You'll need some bulk HPDE containers, quality ball valves/pipes, lots of pumps and plenty of spares for *un)scheduled maintenance, Alex Jones tier water filtration, etc.

But basically just read all the existing NASA research (adding *.gov to you Google queries) and youtube will get you most of the way intellectually. The real battle is keeping things clean and well organized.
>>
File: DSCN0208.jpg (79KB, 570x382px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0208.jpg
79KB, 570x382px
>>1156686
>Pic related

That's pretty sweet anon.

I daydream often about having an outside aquarium of sorts built for an aquaponics feedback loop to grow 'pretty' stuff rather than edible stuff. Something like you'd see at a well funded zoo. Basically a tank butted against a large pane window so I can sit in the comfy ac with my pets and watch fish/frogs/turtles do whatever it is they do, have some weird water features, and have this area walled off from the rest of 'nature'....possible on a second story. I haven't quite worked out what the best way to butt the two panes of glass together yet ... but one can dream.
>>
File: DSCN8784a.jpg (299KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8784a.jpg
299KB, 1024x1365px
>>1156686
I just use any light, but LED is my fave for low energy use and less heat. I have like 5 different types of lights and only a few are actual grow lights that someone gave to me. The rest are shoplights.
>>
>>1156676
use low energy lights and a natural gas source for heat and co2
>>
>>1156751

what are the stats on those leds?

if you want to maximize yield what lights would you use?
>>
>>1156676
I build lights, it's fairly easy
been doing it (and successfully growing plants with them) for 5+ years

>>1156638

thread related

trying to cheap out on stuff to get even better pricing currently and redesigning how I do my lighting

your first thing you need to learn is the nutrients for plants macro & micro and if you want to go organic methods or synthetic for your hydro
>>
>>1156790
chlorophyll A absorbs the 430 and 660 nanometer wavelengths the most

and chlorophyll B absorbs 460 and 630 nm

these are their peaks and not "only what they absorb"

I find the best way to grow is to get full spectrum lights and supplement some more blues and reds for the plants as this "helps"

let's say you do 10 full spectrum LEDs for a metal platform where you have your lights on

then you may want 400-500nm lights + 600-700nm lights

the simplest I find is (usually LEDs are 400-420 or 430 for example) so I would just use one 400-430, one 430-460, one 460-490 and 10 full spectrum and then one 600-630, one 630-660 and then stop there only specific plants really eat up past 660 it's mostly herb plants you can get some deep reds too but the full spectrum covers it well
>>
Maybe this is not your case, as it was not mine when I was into this stuff, but lmao weed 420 forums are full of custom built growboxes and tips for building them.

Just google hydroponics growroom and this kind of stuff (and get enlisted in NSA's databases).

What I can suggest for the lights is use LEDs or high pressure sodium lamps / mh lamps (best efficiency and spectrum).
Connect them to a temporizing socket and that's it.
Optimize energy efficiency by covering the walls with reflective mylar and enclosing the light strictly in the surface you need.

Regarding fertilizers and water parameters, you will need a ph and ec meter, then depending on the species you want to grow a nutrient table.

For water circulation and containers, there are some ready to start kits around.
Will be definitely cheaper to build your own though.

Remember that air circulation and change is essential, an inline fan and some aluminum duct should do the job
fairly well.

That's just my thoughts, as said you can find shittons of material on the web.
>>
File: DSCN8753a.jpg (592KB, 1024x2288px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8753a.jpg
592KB, 1024x2288px
>>1156790
>what are the stats on those leds?

These are what I have:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-wt-in-club-item-712371/prod20070899.ip
>>
>>1156882
Same goes for culinary mushrooms. Some of the best right ups are from non-culinary mushroom growers.
>>
>>1156912
>write ups

fixed, got homophoned at 5am
>>
>>1156910
they will grow plants fine but it isn't optimal
>>
>>1157049
Turns out that optimal isn't needed and there's no artificial light that is optimal for growing plants. There's only "good enough" and "better".
>>
>>1157058
>optimal isn't needed

no, but only hitting 2 of the 4 main photosensors of a plant is going to have a huge lack of vitamins and deficiencies depending on the plant
>>
>>1157058
Also not having beyond PAR light is going to lock it out of photomorphogenesis, which is very important for baby plants and when plants go into photoperiodism (switching to flowering or fruit production)
honestly know something about plants before talking
your lights are great for.. lettuce.
>>
>>1156676
Minecraft
>>
File: spectrum_cmh4k.jpg (22KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
spectrum_cmh4k.jpg
22KB, 512x512px
>>1157058
Ceramic metal halide? It was developed by Phillips for the Ag industry. It gives off a beautiful light.
>>
File: stoner.jpg (153KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
stoner.jpg
153KB, 600x450px
>>1157081
>>1157082
>>1157377
Only druggie pothead stoners worry about, "MUH OPTIMAL LIGHT SPECTRUM!" Get over yourself, kid.
>>
File: IMG_0790.jpg (226KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0790.jpg
226KB, 1600x1600px
>>1157383
Marijuana is #BANNED and #ILLEGAL because it is a mind expanding drug that allows you to see the true nature of things. When you smoke buds with a certain type of purple and blue crystal, it activates your neuro centers and specifically a part of the brain called the cranial eczema. It is be(lie)ved that this part of the brain, regularly dormant in humans, is an ancient secret. Most pre-human societies were telepathic, using this center of the brain to communicate on a cosmic level and tap into truths that we don't know. This is why they never developed technology--no need for computers or war when you're already living in utopia. However some humans mutated and without cranial eczema activation were forced to discovering spears and crude weapons which they used to wipe out the peaceful telepathic pre-humans. It is this center of the brain that we tap into when listening to dubstep or smoking herb.
>>
>>1157401
>>
>>1156821

Wait a second, WTF is a full spectrum LED? How do that work?
>>
>>1157414
Fancy phosphors
>>
>>1157383
Sure.. but I like my tomatoes and peppers to not look like shit and actually have vitamins.

Nobody I know who grows pot in the industry actually smokes it.
>>
>>1157467
You are full of lies, kid.
>>
>>1157501
Ok, but NASA and like every other plant study says otherwise
>>
dude
marijuana
lmao

I can't even show my parents videos and pics about this subject without some rap montage of a weed lab
>>
weed aside, are there any high value plants you could make and sell on a small scale like this?
>>
>>1156676

> lets take the plants and then block out the sun and use our own power to make them grow
>>
>>1157682
The idea is to provide the absolute best environment for your plants to be in. Obviously there many other factors besides light. Humidity, light cycle (tomato's need to flower), even the air your plants breath. You control everything.
Your comment was ignorant as hell.
>>
>>1157682
>don't bother cooking, just mcdonald's it lol
Why are you even on this board if that's you view things? Nature can go fuck itself. I make little plastic tunnels to keep my winter veggies growing and use fluorescent lamps and seedling mats in spring. In case you didn't notice, the outdoors is not always optimal conditions for some plants. He'll, the sun isn't even shining at all times at all parts of earth.
>>
>>1157467
>Nobody I know who grows pot in the industry actually smokes it.

That's a lie. They just don't smoke it as much as would be expected.
>>
>>1157654
Herbs
>>
>>1157654
Just walk any local farmers market and you'll see what sells. Keep it organic and make even more money.
Home grown organic herbs stomp the grocery store in quality.
Herbs can be easy to clone too.
>>
>>1158033
Any suggestions for easy to grow stuff that bears fruit and avoids the growth of bad weeds?
>>
File: hoe_250.jpg (46KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
hoe_250.jpg
46KB, 250x189px
>>1158036
It takes work. Shit will grow if you're using decent dirt.
Even in the fields of California, where a lot of vegetables come from, there are teams of people that walk the fields hoeing weeds.
You gotta stay on top of your field.
>>
>>1158045
Well, then I'll have to go the herbicide route. Any suggestions or resources in that direction?
>>
>>1158036
Trees. Fruits and nuts. Once they get above a certain size weeds are a non-issue.
>>
>>1158016
No it's not a lie. The people you know and the people I know are different.
>>
>>1156686
>>1156686
Lemnas grow faster
>>
>>1156676
a e s t h e t i c
>>
>>1157401
DUUUUUUDDE
>>
File: high-end-vapes-1-1280x800.jpg (103KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
high-end-vapes-1-1280x800.jpg
103KB, 1280x800px
>>1156676
How much weed can I grow lmao?

Rumor has it that 1watt = 1gram
>>
>>1156740
dude I've been growing lettuce, basil, and tomatoes in my trashed spare bedroom for about 8 months with zero problems after I figured out some basics.
>>
>>1156676
>Plant Factory- An Indoor Vertical farming system for efficency
>Hydroponic Food Production
>Aquaponic Gardening
>>
>>1158938
What kind of system?
What lights and nutes?
Pros/cons of your setup?
Tough lessons learned?
>>
>>1156676
Light wavelengths are important I think
440nm improves growth and 670nm increases frui/flower production.

I'm not a scientist so not too sure.
>>
>>1159019
the tomatoes are just in 5 gallon lowes buckets
I've been doing two tomato plants in each bucket and the tomatoes are under three vero 29 cobs at 3500K

the lettuce and basil are in big rubbermaid totes.

I use general hydroponics flora series but have been wanting to switch to a dry formula like their maxi series just for ease of measurement.

pro was how cheap the materials were. startup costs were nothing which is big since I'm just growing vegetables and wont make any money.

the biggest con is the maintenance of having to change each bucket individually. I really want to switch to something like a dutch bucket system or NFT where I just have a central reservoir that is circulated to the individual containers or throughout the whole system.

the toughest lesson was when I went on a 5 day trip and turned the AC off in Florida. all of the roots were dead when I got back and it took a few weeks for the plants to grow new ones.
>>
File: gouramitank2.jpg (191KB, 960x477px) Image search: [Google]
gouramitank2.jpg
191KB, 960x477px
>>1156742

isn't this basically the same thing as an indoor planted aquarium?
>>
File: greenchapter-aquarium.jpg (174KB, 1300x868px) Image search: [Google]
greenchapter-aquarium.jpg
174KB, 1300x868px
>>1159065
>same thing as an indoor planted aquarium

Something more like pic related
>>
>>1157654
First look at your local resource costs. States with crazy high water and electric rates... it may not make business sense depending on the market price of the crop you select.
>>
How do these systems grow entire lettuces in a single week?
>>
>>1160953

elecctroolytes
>>
File: itsgotelectrolytes.jpg (117KB, 1200x495px) Image search: [Google]
itsgotelectrolytes.jpg
117KB, 1200x495px
>>1161016
>>
>>1156676

Might want to ask here too, /out/ has a thread dedicated to Growmen

>>>/out/987696
>>
>>1159238

Hm, you can make aquariums out of fiberglass and epoxy reinforced plywood, so it probably wouldn't be too difficult to incorporate a window itself into such a structure if it was built from the start with that in mind. Not sure about an existing one, though RTV silicone is a hell of a thing...
>>
Im getting supplies together to do an indoor aquaponic garden to grow lettuce, basil, and a few other things. Ill have 20 goldfish in a big storage tote and have the bins for the plants directly above it. They'll have bell siphons and a pump running constantly. I don't know what to do for lighting, ill have to look into that. I was thinking of getting some cheap tube lighting or a work lamp with a LED ceiling light since I have a few of those.
>>
>>1158930
Good luck... more like .25 on ya first grow.
>>
File: 20161115_145750.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161115_145750.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1159029
>the toughest lesson was when I went on a 5 day trip and turned the AC off in Florida. all of the roots were dead when I got back and it took a few weeks for the plants to grow new ones.

If you add even more air you can brute force your way around the heat issue. But its not optimal.

I build this system for this winter. Pic related is me testing it. It didnt work well at all. For one I think I should have run All buckets in parallel, not in series like I did. Also there was a silt build up in the maine reservoir and when it got stirred up it kill all my plants.
>>
>Wants to grow
>electricty is kinda bad
>its shut off before
>faulty breakers
>how to create self sufficient grow
>outside of house circuit
invest in renewable or generator?
>>
>>1157401
It's 100% legal where I live. Housing prices tend to filter out the hippies though.
>>
>>1161363
Greenhouse.
>>
>>1161363
I do have an empty bedroom in the house to do whatever I want with though so id rather be growing year round
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.