[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

electric welder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

File: IMG-20161228-WA0014.jpg (65KB, 527x573px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161228-WA0014.jpg
65KB, 527x573px
my old man said he has a welder somewhere in his construction site, its like a, electric welder, no stick or mig, jsut electric, is it good to learn on?
pic semi related
>>
>>1154841
You provide no information yet expect an answer.

If it's an industrial machine and it runs it's fine to learn on.

Do yourself a huge favor and goto the Miller forums and website (has many good training videos) and the god tier Weldingweb forums.

Welding is wonderful but don't just randomly make sparks. Get some scrap, derust with angle grinder and SYSTEMATICALLY practice until you get REPEATABLE good results. Learn how to bend test and cut through practice welds to ensure you got proper fusion.

Welding is a tremendously useful skill, large fun, and helps you make all sorts of things throughout your life.

When you post a question on a welding forum, provide MAKE and MODEL of welder and if not in Burgerland a clear photograph of the face of your machine.

You can't weld if you can't see detail within a couple of feet which is normal work distance. Everyone is different so you may prefer a specific color tint and darkness level.

http://weldingweb.com/ I have over four thousand posts here and have learned more than I've taught, which is considerable.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ is a good site for Eurofags and other less weldy societies than the US. Some of their hardware and industrial gas cylinder standards differ from Burgerland. Know yours.
>>
File: brando.jpg (116KB, 400x595px) Image search: [Google]
brando.jpg
116KB, 400x595px
>>1154865
damn man too much effort and useful info given the OP.

with a question and background like OP gave, a straightforward insult is generally appropriate
>>
No you can't weld a sword together.
>>1154295
>>
>>1154841
>electric welder, no stick or mig
>>1154841
>no stick or mig

Stick and MIG are both electric welders.
gas, chemical, or electric are pretty much it.
(friction welding doesn't count because it's an electric lathe)
>>
>>1154956
I forgot about forge welding - my bad
>>
>>1154956
Could just be a spot welder
>>
>>1154841
yes, electric welders are the perfect kind for learning on because electricity makes it much easier to weld!

try searching for "arc welding" on google, youtube, or actually just about anything, and when you can describe the machine in question with more than two words, you might be able to get some answers on whether it's good to learn on, whether it is in fact a welder, and how to remove your head from your ass
>>
>>1155018
>Could just be a spot welder
If it isn't an ELECTRIC spot welder, its a riveter.
>>
OP is a faggot so i'm gonna highjack this shit.

anyone ever use a welder generator? we get a lot of power outages here so a nice sized generator would be nice but i have been looking at welder generators. they aren't much more then just buying a generator of the same size and having a portable welder would be a nice bonus. can you run a MIG off one fairly well? likely mostly use it for stick but the ability to plug the MIG into it would also be very nice.

i would likely put it into an enclosed trailer would would basically become a mobile shop with an air compressor, MIG, power tools ect which i'd assume could all be run from the welder generator

i've also seen Lincoln sells an all in one generator that can run stick, MIG, and TIG but it's also $6k so i'm not sure if it'd be worth it over just buying something like the Hobart Champion Elite for about $2000 less
>>
>>1155570
i don't think you can mix stick/tig (constant current) with mig (constant voltage ) unless it's an inverter with a bunch of fancy controls
>>
>>1155570
What you want to do is quite common. See the welding forums I recommended and ask for some pics.

Miller machines are very popular for the use you describe as they are designed to power other equipment on jobsites. Price check online.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/forum/welding-discussions/26014-miller-bobcat-versus-hobart-champion

is informative but check current offerings since that thread is a few years old.

Study rig trucks too as they use many interesting equipment mounting and storage options.

Now go to the Miller forums

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard

and the Hobart

https://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/forum.php

forums.

This is not either of those forums and I mention that allthefuckingtime for very good reason.

I suggest buying an LP powered Miller since modern ethanol fuels store horribly even with gas stabilizers. You can meet Miller and Lincoln reps in person via your local welding supplier and pick their brains to get the best machine for your use.

I haven't bothered with an engine drive though I've used Miller Bobcats and Lincoln SA-200s. Both companies make good machines. Hobart and Miller are owned by the same parent company but are not identical machines.
>>
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/engine-driven

You can't select output amps you don't have or processes you don't have, so if you are buying new I'd max it out then allow the many years of use to make payback worth the initial investment.

My fleet (ESAB, Lincoln, Miller, Thermal Arc, Hobart) paid for itself quickly.
>>
>>1155580
propane is a pain in the ass here. i do have on farm ethanol free gas so that's not any issue anyway. diesel would also be an option but those units aren't likely within my price range

>>1155583
for me most shits pays for itself within a year or 2. with how expensive parts have become it doesn't take many repairs to pay for a welder. hell just last week i fixed a clevis on my disc harrows that would have cost $1100 to replace
>>
>>1155619
Most welders nowadays are electronic. The circuit board went up in my Miller Trailblazer on my work truck, wound up costing the company like 1100 bucks and I didn't have a welder for about a month.
>>
File: outputslope.png (8KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
outputslope.png
8KB, 640x400px
hoping there is an experienced welder in what is apparently now the welding general

for stick, what would a difference in ocv (without changing anything else) make as far as the quality of the weld and how the actual weld would feel? pic related shows the kind of difference I mean, where blue is the high ocv, red the low ocv, and the pepper is where most of the weld would take place
>>
>>1155570
If you have a local welding shop that deals you may be able to pick up a used machine on the cheap.

Boss always did this with our machines literally selling them off the trucks.

We ran mostly millers. Try and get a trailblazer with it think its called excel power system. Basically on the generator aspect of things the engine will still generate at idle instead of kicking up more RPMs to say run a grinder like the old machines.

I got out of welding about a year ago so gl and godspeed anon keep your head out of the plume.
>>
>>1155619
Ethanol free means you are good. Farm means you can handle fuel system maintenance.

Your welder payback will be fast. I wouldn't buy used since your time for payback is many years and used welders usually don't get sold unless they are worn out.

Exception, vintage Lincoln SA welders but they aren't generators. SA-200s from the 1930s and 40s are still on the line making rigwelders money.
>>
>>1155667
Post your machine and exactly what you want to weld for specific OCV advice.

Engine drive thread with some insight:
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?334031-setting-ocv-s

There's a reason I send people to forums. It beats typing out the whole motherfucking forum.
>>
>>1155619
Just spent $2k setting up a TIG unit.
So far it's only been used to repair a $100 quad rack. Might be a bit to cover the costs.
>>
>>1154841
>electric welder
oh wow

That's like saying "gasoline-powered car" or "paper book".
>>
>>1157085
>post your machine
i'm diying a welder, which is why all the information that says "set the ocv on machine x by reaching behind the governor and turn the third bolt from the left clockwise until you are at 1500 rpm" is useless
>exactly what you want to weld
practicing smaw

i am trying to determine what ocv is needed to weld properly, independent of other factors. much of the information i've found has discussed differences in ocv, but by that they mean a change to the whole output slope
like here https://youtu.be/fvZGxFs0bJQ?t=23m5s
>>
>>1158308
Go to weldingweb forums and post your specific question in

http://weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php?2-MIG-TIG-Stick-And-Oxy-Fuel-Welding

with ample DETAILS. No one should have to ask you what you are doing like I just did.

Describe precisely the type of welder design you wish to use including controls. Transformer stick machines are robust and a good choice for DIY. You need DC output for most versatility.

Around 80 volts OCV is desirable for 7018 electrodes.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?14638-Open-circuit-voltage

Rick V is a prolific and interesting poster:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?11143-Lobotomy-of-a-Welder
>>
File: IMG_0093.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0093.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1157884
getting back 5% of your cost with a single job is pretty decent really. my MIG setup including buying the gas cylinder was also about $2k. i've owned it for about 6 months and it's pretty much paid for itself twice over already

going to dump some pics from the last job. not the best looking but i'm improving and so far everything i've done has held up pretty well which is what's actually important
>>
File: IMG_0094.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0094.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: IMG_0095.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0095.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: IMG_0098.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0098.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>1155047
OP here sorry i was away on tests, thing is all my dad said was its an electric welder, no sticks or gas or anything, so i can only assume its a tac welder, i havent had the chance to check it out, i may as well do it in the summer when i dont have tests to worry about,
>>1154905
hehe yeah... funny, not planning to anyways, i may be a dumbass when it comes to tools as i have never used them, other than hammering a few planks together with nails and a hammer or just some random piece of metal, but i'm not ignorant to the point to think that tac welding 2 pieces of metal and then swinging it around will make it a "sword". if anything i just want to have a hobby, and welding seems to be a pretty useful one at that. also welds are weak as fuck if done by a complete dumb ass welder (me) and every single time i see someone make a vid on a sword its always from a single piece of steel alloy, never a weld, if they do make a weld its to tac on a rod for handling it while hammering and moving it around the workshop.
>>
>>1154956
>>1154841
There are over 25 types of welding used in the industries with varying frequency; from SMAW (stick) to ultrasonic

It's like going to a supermarket and saying you want food. You gotta be more specific, mate.
>>
>>1160270
well, i'm not in usa, and all i can think of for is really just a tack welder, a small one at that. and not really industry, just to weld normal steel similar to rebar, for the railings for balconies and safety near edges.
>>
>>1155667
A higher OCV makes it easier to start the arc, and it makes it less likely that the arc will flicker out if you're unsteady. No difference at all in weld quality or feel under normal conditions.

Something that actually makes a difference when welding is arc force, which is an increase in current at low voltage (short arc length). A high arc force reduces the likelihood of sticking and can help improve penetration where needed. It makes bridging gaps harder, and the less even heat can make thin material more difficult to weld consistently.
>>
>>1160275
a tack weld is just a tiny weld and again you can do that with many many welding processes
>>
>>1160308
i'll probably go get a pic of the thing maybe during the weekend, and until then lets make this the welding general?
>>
File: Weld0001csm.jpg (22KB, 431x288px) Image search: [Google]
Weld0001csm.jpg
22KB, 431x288px
>>1160275
if it's just one of those little spot welders (pic) then it's really pretty fucking useless for anything but thin sheet metal and even then the welds will never hold up. anything i've ever bought that had spot welded shit has failed within a year especially if it has to stand up to heat or vibrations

if you want to get into welding do yourself a favor and buy a decent stick or MIG welder. Stick is the cheapest to get into but most consider it harder to learn. Stick also has more splatter and generally more smoke to block your view and fuck up your lungs. Stick also isn't very good for thin material. MIG is generally considered the easiest to learn but it's also more expensive to get into and requires you to buy/rent a gas cylinder. MIG also requires you to use fairly clean materials so you need to grind off any paint or rust but depending how strong of a weld you need you CAN get away without cleaning
>>
File: Jackass.jpg (128KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jackass.jpg
128KB, 1024x768px
>>1160660
>stand up to heat or vibrations
Yeah, totally, not like the one of the two most popular rifles in the world that's know for being reliable use them and hold up fine.
>>
>>1160670
If you're spot welding some shit on a lower receiver, it's not a big deal. Most of the lower receiver isn't really expected to be major wear surfaces, so they're not exposed to much heat, pressure, wear, etc. as compared with, say, the barrel, trunnion, and chamber. >>1160660 was right dog.
>>
>>1161161
It's the rails the bolt ride on so bullshit if they aren't a major wear surface. Nothing compared to the trunnion or barrel but still shows they don't just fall apart. Maybe he just buys cheap gook shit.
>>
lol spot welder, nah. i wasn't able to go with my dad today, but from what i know and remember, its used to weld the steel rods the blacksmith works on for the window bars and the balcony rails, they are pretty sturdy, i haven't seen a stick or gas canister, so my only guess is its not a mig or a stick welder, probably an arc welder.
>>
>>1161728

You're gonna make a great welder - I can just tell.
>>
>>1161958
if not a welder, definite genius material
>>
Learning yeah, but you'll want to find a gas one OP. Electric is no good for stainless or aluminum.
>>
File: IMG_20170415_213238.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170415_213238.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Since there isn't another welding thread - anyone want to rate my first welding project?

Kinda ran out of time at the end and made shit up as I went. Just a stay-in-the-woods stand as a thanks to pops for helping me with an electrical project. Only going to be taking handgun cartridges.
>>
File: IMG_20170415_213248.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170415_213248.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>1161999
Flux fwiw and only and angle grinder.

Buggers/10?
>>
>>1161999
Checked. Looks hearty as fuck.
>>
File: IMG_20170415_213256.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170415_213256.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
>>1161999
Final
>>
>>1162005
Thanks, I'm at 4 hours start to finish. Wanted to clean the welds, add cleats/spikes, and add some side to side braces, but the neighbor came out and gave me a wtf face (9pm here)

Main goal was to get penetration and a balanced stand where the target was at center mass. Excited to see how long it lasts.
>>
>>1159927
yeah, i probably should have posted on the forums instead of just reading before posting here. thanks for spoonfeeding me anyway
>>1160303
very helpful senpai

polite sage
>>
>>1161999
>>1162004
>>1162006
Not bad man. That's not coming apart any time soon. To get rid of those pin holes at the stop/starts; start your weld on the previous one and do a little circle to tie it in. Also slow your travel speed and add a little side to side wiggle to let the weld wash into both sides.
>>
>>1162367
I definitely appreciate the feedback. It feels like I ran through half a roll of flux and I was getting into the flow of not starting and stopping every 6 inches (unless an ember landed in my shoe or glove). Ty for the tie off pointer.

Would you suggest an 1/8" back to forth? 1/16"? Also, any recommendations on cutting devices? I'm eyeing a $150 Dewalt metal chop saw from Lowes.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.