[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where my HamTards @ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: WD5FWP.jpg.jpg (163KB, 1527x857px) Image search: [Google]
WD5FWP.jpg.jpg
163KB, 1527x857px
Where my HamTards @ ?
>>
>>1127518
Hello general class hamfag here
Running two ICOM 737's
>>
>>1127519
Nice. I run a 718 and a 7200. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 7300.
>>
>>1127519
General class here, but operating stroke AE. Just took element 5 this weekend.
>>
> HAM radios
> /k/
> weapons

Might as well do a cell phone thread as they are more useful and you can actually contact somebody other than the four crotchety ass 50-some year old men that spend all day on their hams.
>>
>>1127522
Lol

Cellphones only useful if the power grid is working...
>>
>>1127523

Tell me more about how you hams will singlehandedly save the world with idle chitchat when the power grid goes down and society as we know it comes to an end.
>>
>>1127524
Tell me more about how you don't like seeing ham threads but keep bumping and adding to the post count.
>>
>>1127525

It's not about not liking them or really caring, but they have nothing to do with /k/, not even really tangentially unless you were discussing what to stuff a bug-out bag with, and that's practically larping.

The only connection they have to /k/ at all is that some hams like the survival aspect of radio hobbies, which is itself tangential to /k/, but you would find more ham operators among, say, plane enthusiasts or cross country drivers or whatnot.

Also, it's just an obsolete hobby.
>>
>>1127518
Got my general in the late 98 (back when you had to learn code) but haven't touched a transceiver since 2007.

>>1127522
Hell, I am a Ham and I agree with this anon. Strict Ham threads are not /k/ but if you talk about ham radio and prepping that is boarder line /k/
>>
>>1127524
>>Idle chit chat
National/State Traffic Net

Nobody said anything about saving the world, but hams do provide a public service in times of disaster
>>
So I was just browsing and found this thread and glad I did. Was thinking about becoming a hamtard but I know nothing about any of that shit

ib4 "google it fag"

I did and am looking into it but I figured I'd post up here anyway
>>
>>1127528

Hams overstate this benefit massively as most have no training in emergency management whatsoever, and even if they did, if they were in an emergency situation with no power or infrastructure to the point where they were required and their services were usable, they would be far better served going to the local red Cross or emergency station and pitching in.

Even then, that still doesn't make hams /k/ any more than driving an ambulance is /k/, but at least those people have stories more interesting than "I bought a baofeng and passed off some guy by broadcasting without a license".
>>
File: 1463525622312.jpg (562KB, 792x3458px) Image search: [Google]
1463525622312.jpg
562KB, 792x3458px
>>1127529
>>
File: IMG_6590.jpg (651KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6590.jpg
651KB, 1632x1224px
I have an oooold Cobra CB a friend gave me so we can chat on the trails. No gnarly off roading but we go far out.
>>
Holy fuck
We seriously need a new stick where anons can post
But every 48 hours this stick is reset

And anyone who want to post about their zippos, lock picking gear, HAM radios, bug out bags, or every day carry can post on this one sticky, because this sticky will be for seemingly /k/ related gear and equipment.

Please make a sticky that's like a sub board for /k/
>>
>>1127522
So you hand crank your ham while sitting in the dark talking to,the four fifty-something old men bitching about their ex-wives.
>>
>>1127531
How about this? Friend of mine (who is a hamfag) gave it to me for free. Don't know anything about it and would like to learn. I can provide more pics if needed.
>>
>>1127533
>>>/out/
>>
Amateur radio will survive SHTF because it's dispersed, cheap and independent of government.
So will Citizens Band, and for open comms everyone should own a CB. I use mine to monitor truckers on long trips. I have Waze and a radar detector, but truckers are damn near everywhere, they are the most experienced drivers, and they use CB.

During Hurricane Hugo my local amateur radio folks helped coordinate response. I'm not a ham since I have too many hobbies as-is, but if I fall into a deal on equipment I'd add it to my gear. My shipping container shop is essentially stormproof. (No, it's not stocked with imitation crab meat, though I do like the stuff....)

>Tell me more about how you hams will singlehandedly save the world with idle chitchat when the power grid goes down

Amateur radio was global before most of the world HAD a fucking power grid! It was really the first "internet". Idle chitchat is like idle fappery online. The equipment remains available for comms in emergency. You don't need a power grid to run amateur radio gear. The first sets were powered by simple lead acid batteries.

Of relevance to /k/ is that both classic firearms and ham radio began when production technology was so very simple that those designs are still viable if necessary. Today's fudd weapons conquered more territory than their modern successors. Crude HF radios provided the first global electronic comms not requiring a landline. I appreciate all technology and recommend that attitude to others if you want to be a well rounded human.

Specialization is for insects.

>and society as we know it comes to an end.

It will bounce back. Those with a poor grasp of fundamental tech will be at a disadvantage, but reconstituting society will be easier than it might appear from your mother's basement. Local power generation can use any fuel with a bit of work. Syrians under seige in Aleppo were turning plastic waste into motor fuel with very crude equipment.
>>
>>1127518
How cam I get into ham?
>>
>>1127539
Google it faggot...
>>
>>1127540
I mean that's fair. I was more curious about any tips.
>>
Google amateur radio at the inauguration. Protesters, feminists, etc. Overwhelmed cellphone towers. Police were relying on ham radio operators for communications and situational reports.

http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/2017/02/maryland-ham-helps-with-comms-for.html?m=1
>>
>>1127541
Find your club and get involved
>>
What was that online station that you can listen in, and it was in like california?
It was just a bunch of guys shitposting on the radio.

They were all calling in talking about what they were smoking and shit.Was funny to listen to but I lost the link.It was posted in a Ham thread a while back
>>
>>1127549
I don't recall the station, but it sounds like what goes on on 14.313.00
>>
>>1127524
You're just jelly that we get to idly chitchat and yell IDS HABBEDING at eachother while nobody else can.
>>
>>1127549
>>
>>1127549
Probably a local repeater linked to Broadcastify.
>>
>>1127537

I know this thread was moved from /k/ but

> classic firearms and ham radio began when production technology was so very simple that those designs are still viable if necessary

Is so stupid that I just feel like pointing out this statement. It's like saying that contemporary subjects are related just because they existed in the same timeframe.
>>
>>1127621
While that may be perplexing to you, it makes about as much sense as all the fur fags and anime on /k/
>>
>>1127535
Looks like a UV82 or UV82HP, good radio for $30. Take the battery out and check the label, it doesn't matter unless you want to PC program it.
>>
>>1127518
>Where my HamTards @ ?
Pretty sure they're in the basement
>>
>>1127518
Hi Gary R Sheets!

WD5FWP
>>
>>1127518
Here mate
>>1109675
>>
>>1127537
Who cares about the prepping shit, the majority of amateur radio operators do it for the interest in radio communication, electronics, astronomy etc.
>>
>>1127665
I was wondering what was so hard about seeing that too.
>>
>>1127518
Over in >>1109675 you mouth-breather. Use the catalog next time.
>>
>>1127649
Yea, UV82. My concern is if operating this thing in my area would be illegal without a HAM license. Again, don't know anything about hamming and radio shit in general, but am interested.
>>
>>1127684
Illegal to broadcast without a license but you can still listen.

You can use PMR446 but I don't think anyone uses analogue PMR any more.
>>
>>1127665
>>1127669
>>1127671

Fucking retards. Mods moved this from /k/...
>>
>>1127685
Thanks mate. I'll be looking into getting licensed when I can
>>
>>1127699
Send an email to your local club, they'll be happy to help.
>>
>>1127684
>>1127685
Anon is correct, they're great ham radios for $30 that happen to work on frequencies they weren't designed for. Mine doubles as a police scanner, where I live in the US my local police and fire are on UHF repeaters.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.