[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

comfy ultracapitalism thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: -1x-1.jpg (1MB, 3000x1963px) Image search: [Google]
-1x-1.jpg
1MB, 3000x1963px
What is it like being involved in a really big high value project?

Has anyone ever done:

> high-rise construction
> large scale mining, oil drilling, oil rigs
> aerospace manufacturing
> defense manufacturing
> semiconductor manufacturing
> etc...
>>
I know heaps of tradies who worked on the Gorgon LNG project (54 billion USD est.).

You're just a number (obviously).

You're extremely well paid (200k+ AUD year for sparkies).

You get given a lot more time to do your tasks than on smaller projects (catch all/LCD).
>>
>>1125702

Sounds tremendous
>>
>>1125709
Should've posted the negatives as well.

Strict as fuck on the rules. Follow the rules to the word otherwise you're outta there.

A lot of Q/A inspectors who can pick arbitrary things as it's their job to pick stuff up.

Lots and lots of safety related paperwork.
>>
gives me aesthetic feels
>>
man how do I get into one of those gigs

It's more for the story and experience rather than the money and resume sell
>>
>>1125689
> high-rise construction
> large oil rigs
> aerospace manufacturing
> defense manufacturing

I've been involved in all of these. 'Big' and 'high value' means that a lot of fuck-ups will get on board and find a place to hide and/or off-load their work onto you.

>>1125720
Use to work there. From this location, I can lead you to a group buried way up in the mezzanine level that spends 8 hour days playing cards, surfing the web, reading magazines and otherwise not doing jack shit.

If you want to feel like what you do really matters, get into a smaller organization, where everyone can see your contributions and vice-versa.
>>
File: KangnamSamsung.jpg (177KB, 634x845px) Image search: [Google]
KangnamSamsung.jpg
177KB, 634x845px
>>1125995

What did you do?
>>
>>1125995

>big and high value

So working in fast food means you're always on camera and surrounded by snitches and bitches tattling over minutiae BUT you're telling me I can work for government, big oil, etc and do fuck all while being paid a hundred times more?!
>>
>>1125995
>8 hour days playing cards, surfing the web, reading magazines and otherwise not doing jack shit.
Aviation in a nutshell
>>
>>1125996
>What did you do?

Electrical engineering.
>>
>>1126094

Maybe if you weren't such a low test NEET
>>
>>1126094
Fast food has a smaller profit margin, it's more important to keep employees working
>>
>>1125689
Structural Engineering.

I'm designing three or four 20+ storey towers (as the sole project engineer), along with a few £10m+ houses here in London.

What do you want to know?
>>
>>1126170

Did any singe fuckup occur that costed an extreme amount of money?

Did anyone die/get hurt?

Did you get paid well? was it worth it?

Did you get to use leathermen/multitools or did you have to bin those?
>>
>>1126230
I've never fucked up that bad, but I'm only 26.

But:
>large project, 3 years ago
>groundworkers put the piles in the wrong places
>we redesign the entire foundation strategy for them (for a fee)
>requires additional piles
>they bore the 5th one out of 20
>some retard snaps off the auger
>18m of steel spiral in the bore
>can't get it out
>we redesign the foundation strategy for a third time

I'm surprised they didn't go bankrupt.

>Did anyone die/get hurt?
No.

>Did you get paid well? was it worth it?
I'm doing this now.
Pay is shit.
I'll let you know if it is worth it in the end.

>Did you get to use leathermen/multitools or did you have to bin those?
What?
I design buildings. I don't physically build 'em.
>>
>>1125689
I helped to build a wind farm. I did post tensioning on the towers.
The project was bid at a cool billion dollars. It was shit.
>>
>>1125689
I make something really expensive for a really over-budget weapons program.
>>
>>1126230
>Did you get to use leathermen/multitools or did you have to bin those?

nobody even owns those except for hipsters, women, and other clueless beings who don't actually use them. they're like any other useless accessory that says something about you.

people who actually do stuff buy real tools. pliers, screwdrivers. knives. etc.
>>
>>1126363
Pretty useful on the farm desu
>>
>>1126364
>Pretty useful on the farm desu

for doing what? do you walk around doing all sorts of repairs that you can do with a toy tool? or do you drive a truck or some vehicle that can carry actual tools?

I suppose they can be useful at times, but seriously. trying to use the screwdriver is a joke. you get way more leverage and control with normal pliers, cutters, etc.

what do you use it for on the farm, and why don't you prefer normal tools?
>>
>>1126365
Yeah the screwdrivers are useless, personally I've used mine to repair poly pipes, the saw is the perfect size and the knife leaves a good edge

Pliers are handy for minor fence repair

Saves having to dig up another tool when you've got something good enough in your pocket

Would never replace a tool, just supplement existing ones
>>
>>1126365
Work in aerospace manufacture here, leathermans are very popular.

A lot of people carry them because you stand a good chance of being able to fix something quickly without having to go and fetch the right tool. Having said that, I prefer flappy pocket trousers with all the tools I use on a regular basis.
>>
>>1126398
>>1126365

>>>/g/et a life
>>
>>1126364
And in your desk at work
>>
File: sls-rocket-art.jpg (41KB, 660x448px) Image search: [Google]
sls-rocket-art.jpg
41KB, 660x448px
>>1125689

It can be done, depending on the work, the customer, and what you're doing. Busy though, you can expect to work some long hours.

I've done aerospace and defense. Currently working on the SLS. In the past I've worked on about half a dozen aircraft platforms, from fighters to commercial planes.

Pic related.
>>
>>1126363
if you're ever working on a ship and don't have one on you, everyone will think you are an unprepared retard who probably forgot to even put on underwear

same with a deck knife and marlin spike, even if you're a computer tech or radar operator or some shit

it's no replacement for actual tools but sometimes you just need a screwdriver or a set of pliers right now for one little thing and fuck going all the way across the ship to get one
>>
>>1126365
Have you never worked on a farm? Everything is fixed with either duct tape or baling wire.
>>
I work in heavy civil construction, most projects from 100M to 500M, every once in a while a really big one gets awarded to the company. It's pretty satisfying work, but pretty much impossible to turn a large profit without gaming the owner for changes, unless it's a design build.

The project I'm on right now involves moving 2 million yards of dirt, and a flyover bridge that involves pouring 800 tons of concrete for the (each) pier caps over a live highway, with a cooling system and post tensioning.
>>
File: 28788.jpg (153KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
28788.jpg
153KB, 1080x608px
>>1128512
Pic semi related, a highway, 15 feet beneath.
>>
>>1126094
What makes you think that every job is the same?
90% of all office work is essentially shuffling emails around, which could be done in 5 minutes by a computer program.
The only reason those jobs are still done by humans is because of tradition.
I work as a system admin and the only reason anybody even hires us is because you need someone you can yell at if shit stops working.
Updates/backups are done automatically and we have support contracts for anything that is remotely mission critical, so all we really do is help the occasional retard install adobe reader.
I can tell you from snooping through other employee's emails that maybe 20% of all office workers are actually productive.
>>
Welder here.
I should receive my certification results sometime in the next few weeks and after that I'm thinking of applying to work on ships or steel structure.
Anyone did similar stuff? How is it?
>>
File: hqdefault (7).jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (7).jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>1125689
Grew up on a little drilling rig. Then my 14 year old body went to pulling a bunch if wells my dad drilled. Was a truck driver hauling reefer so i been in nost descent sized mines. It's pretty cook albiet clostrafibic as fuck. Last several years worked at rock quarries. Dynamiteisfun.jpg.

Currently loading trucks.
Ama.
>>
>>1126094
Yup.

Not him but i've had ~30 jobs.

Shit lazy retard faglord co-workers is why i took a big paycut to work by my fucking self. That and only 50 hour work weeks.

Pretty much the bigger the place the more fuckoffs... ESPECIALLY you cockguzzling union cucks. My fuck they are all lazy faglords.

Was a machine at a pvc manufacturing plant one time. My roommate and i ran it 24/7 for over 2 years one time making big pvc fittings. We both saved money and said fuckit and quit one time to divkoff all summer. They doubled out pay and we worked for 6 months and quit again. Kek.

Meanwhike at the same place my buddy THE FIRST DAY clocked in, worked 2 hours, found a place to make a fort like in the dane cook movie where they hide in the isle of a home depot or whatever. Clocked in before everyone else got there and fucked off. Litterally paid over 2 years before he got found out. 1 hour oer year of work...
>>
>>1126238
OOOOOOOOOH. NICE!

No idea those drills existed.

As a bro and i are trying to start a bootleg rock quarry untill we can afford to get ass raped by MSHA this pleases me.

Litterally just need a hoe and a skid loader now.

Screened rock 10.50 per ton. Can scale about 4 miles away for now and we only work at night.

10 wheeler 15 ton.

Belly/end dump 25 tons.

$150 or $250 PER LOAD.

1 belly dump per day over expenses woukd replace my current income. And i am almost out of bad debt so i need about half that to live my same life.

Not sure wtf overhead is. But these guys AVERAGE 3,000 ton of rock per day crushed and sold...

$30,000 per day less overhead.

Assume overhead is $29,000.

Still make $365,000 per year and reinvest $300,000.

Either gonna be rich as fuck or all my bros grlet pot holes filled in their driveway.

I know about 8 people that own quarries and ALL of them are fucking loaded and always have wtf ever equipment they need to do pretty much anything.

I WANTS IT. FUCK I HATE WAGEKEKING.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.