[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Place To Learn Programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: protecteur_l.gif (87KB, 200x100px) Image search: [Google]
protecteur_l.gif
87KB, 200x100px
Aight, so I have this idea for a simple game.

Now, moving the bullshit aside, I need a place that I can learn programming. I know basic C++, I've taken a few courses on it. But I need a solid tutorial.

Theres thousands of these tutorials out there, which do you recommend?
>>
>>>/g/dpt
>>
>>1118757
>>>/vg/agdg
>>
>>1118757
Planet chilli is pretty good.
>>
>>1118757
SHOULDA

USED

G A M E M A K E R
A
M
E
M
A
K
E
R
>>
File: 1466997876376.png (4KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1466997876376.png
4KB, 400x400px
>>1118757
Just use gamemaker
>>
>>1118757
i encourage your efforts to build a game from the ground up!
i'm doing the same thing myself, in my free time.
if you know basic c++, you're already in a good spot.

HOWEVER:
• If you just want to make a damn game and don't care about much else, I'd recommend that you just use a big name engine, like Unity or Unreal or GameMaker.
(A word of warning: if you want to do things that you don't see lots of other games doing already, you may have a hard time getting it to happen in a large engine)

• If you want to spend more time writing code than picking options from drop-downs, I'd recommend an engine-like SDK, say OGRE or Irrlicht.

• If you just enjoy programming, I suggest starting from graphics APIs and going from there. There is a plethora of open-source libs to choose from as well.

When you're trying to learn there is absolutely nothing as satisfying as seeing things actually happen onscreen.
Find an OpenGL tutorial and play around with the sample code. Often, you'll be able to get interesting things happening using just that as a base.
It's easy to get things rolling with some archaic OpenGL 1.1 code, but eventually you'll want to get in on the newer 3.0 and 4.0 features.

I can't comment on DirectX, never used it.

I use OpenGL with GLFW to keep the mess of OS windowing off my hands.
Some other libraries I use are BulletPhysics, FreeImage, and TinyXML2.
AngelScript, GLM, ENet, and Remotery get honorable mentions.
The FastDelegate headers are indispensable.
>>
>>1119884
This. Programming is more useless than music in modern game development. Go ahead and waste a few years proving me right though.
>>
>>1119747
His tutorials are very good but you need to be patient. After the beginner tutorial you can start learning by yourself, maybe fuck with a game engine.
However, if you wanna make only this one game then you're better off using gamemaker
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.