[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 20161211_200728.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161211_200728.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Help my computer won't connect to my wifi

- ive turned off my wifi router for 10 seconds and turned it back on

- ive unistalled my wifi card and reinstalled

- all my other devices are connected to my wifi except my computer
>>
Have you considered a wired connection?
>>
I have but my computer is upstairs and my wifi is downstairs didnt think it was worth all the effort as my wifi was working before but now its just decided to poo on me
>>
Laptop or desktop? If desktop check antenna connections on back of computer.
>>
Desktop and ive tighened the antennas and tried moving them to different places
>>
>>1097334
It is 100% worth it. I went to the trouble of wiring every room in my house for one network many years ago.
>>
Ill definitely do that then but is there any fix for it now until i buy the ethernet cable?
>>
Well if you cant be arsed wiring it you could try boosting the signal since they are on different levels but to be honest mate id recommend wired
>>
Well unless you have another computer to test the wifi card in then assume a hardware failure. My suggestion would be to get a usb wifi stick.
>>
Ive checked the wifi card in devices and it says its working fine without any issues? And ive just ordered an ethernet cable just need a fix till it arrives
>>
Did you restarted the pc?
>>
router might have a button to turn off wifi sounds like it isn't broadcasting

also bring the router upstairs and connect wired and go to it's inbuilt webpage
>>
It'll be your hardware, WiFi card.

You can grab them pretty cheap.

Although if you get power line adapter it'll definitely make for a better experience
>>
>>1097347
He said all his other devices are connected. Ruling out the SSID.
>>
>>1097350
Think ill have to suck it up and get a ethernet cable as im in a house with other people using the wifi thanks for the help everyone atleast my air and phone have a wifi signal haha
>>
>>1097358
Check a power line adapter like I mentioned. Save you having to trail a cable through the place.

Have fun doing what ever you choose
>>
>>1097329
OP you left out some basic stuff

do other devices connect to wifi when next to the computer?

how many devices can connect to your wifi at once?

are you the one who set up your wifi?
>my wifi only accepts a connection from a list of mac addresses which i input and its hidden. also to change settings you have to be connected through a ethernet cable, not wifi. sure its a pain to add new devices; but it makes it harder for plebs to steal my wifi.

did your router come with a setup cd?
>if so throw that cd in your computer and run it.

do you own your router, or is it owned by your ISP?
>if its owned by your ISP you might have to call them.

running cat6 is easy and not as expensive as you might think, buy a tester. 6 years ago i bought 1000ft of cat6 for a little over $100, $50 on a tester, crimper and bag of connectors of amazon. you could cheap out and just get cat5e cable, but why limit yourself when cat6 is just a little more and can handle more data as well as longer runs. the only hard thing about it is drilling holes through the fire fire stops, and if you use inside walls there is no insulation. just run cable through your basement and attic and up/down to where you want it to go.
>>
> all this retarded advice ITT

Am I on /g/? What the fuck is happening here?

OP, open your device manager, make sure the wireless card is present. If not, your card is dead. If it is, check to see if you can see other networks. Fire up your hotspot on your phone to be sure you have a good local signal. Can't see it? Your card is dead. You can try downloading the latest driver on one of your other machines and sneakernet it to your machine, but I doubt it will help, because your card is clearly dead.

> TL;DR, you faggots need to acquaint yourself with Occam's razor, and learn some fucking troubleshooting /diy/nosaurs.
>>
>>1098170
And you you faggot, how dare you tell OP he's forgotten the basic stuff when you have not even suggested he check the fucking hardware in device manager or see if he can see other networks? GTFO.
>>
mt GF had a similar problem. after a lot of mucking around, i found that pressing the reset button on the modem/router solved the problem entirely.
>>
>>1098176
..which will of course wipe the ISP settings from the router, leaving OP completely offline.

Fuck off to >>>/b/ if you want to be le ebin trole.
>>
>>1098173
LOL, i though about adding that

i disabled my wifi on my PC by disabling it in device manager.
>>
>>1098177
>..which will of course wipe the ISP settings from the router, leaving OP completely offline.

nonsense. sounds like you havent used a new router in 10 years. all the ISPs are providing foolproof units now that come with all the important settings, like username and PPoE passwords hard-coded in the unit.

this saves them a lot of support expenses caused by noob users mucking with the settings. they'll just tell you to reset the router, and you're good to go.
>>
>>1098177
>>1098221
what kind of cuck ISP makes you use their router? Every one I've ever had just gives you a modem.
>>
>>1098225
>what kind of cuck ISP makes you use their router?

all the ISPs that offer more than 1 service: internet, VoIP telephony, TV, etc.
>>
>>1098225
And how the fuck are you planning on connecting your shit to your modem? What kind of retard goes with an ISP that does not provide them with a modem/router combo off the bat?
>>
>>1098227
>>1098229 (not the person you replied too)

i have internet, phone, and cable through Time Warner, i bought my own router so i could have wifi without having to pay extra every month for a wifi modem combo. the best part is at $10 a month for the combo unit it paid for itself in just over a year. renting a combo unit costs you money every month.

i like to be able to change the settings for my wifi without having to talk to someone in india. i can't even access their modem through my computer.

i've had neighbors bypass my passsword protection and leach off my wifi, thankfully they were not smart enough to reset the logs. a filtered accepted mac address list it basically solved that problem.

when i lose internet it never had to do with the router i purchased, it had to do with time warners modem which i had to unplug the power and wait a minute before plugging it back in.

granted there are programs that make it easier to gain access to a password protected network, but considering if someone where to access illegal content the, FEDS would knock on my door and i would have no clue about the intrusion.
>>
>>1097329
>>1097334
>>1097340
>>1097344
>>1097358

Found the issue mate.

I suggest a power line adapter but seems like this issue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38301548

Hope this helps you out.

I helped my manager today by setting a static IP address on his computer.

Until Microsoft release a fix.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.