[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/QTDDTOT/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 80

Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread.

So, my neighbor cut down an old tree of his to make room for a fucking 10,000 lbs lift. Super fucking bad-ass, but besides the point.

He gave me the wood from the tree, and while I wanted to let it sit for a good long while in the shed so I could use it for firewood, my wife is insisting on using it for seating in the backyard. She said, "just seal it and set it out there."
>Okay, baby, you got it

So, how would I have to treat some stumps to sit in my backyard and endure Colorado weather?
>>
pentacryl or just paint with latex paint and put a damn pillow on top so you dont get a taint splinter
>>
>>1076062
what are some pic relateds that i can turn into a fleshlight?
>>
>>1076062
Might want to just set em in your shed and wait till next year to start the project. Especially if the tree was still alive when it was cut down
>>
>>1076076
It was alive but why wait?
It's just gonna sit outside, not gonna make furniture out of it or anything.
I'm a mechanic, I don't know the first thing about working with the tree carcass.
>>
>>1076062

In regards to FREE ENERGY!!!!!! what would I need to study/look into to learn where I can begin with something like that? Not solar panels, but (and this is just for stupidity's sake) something like the arc reactor from Iron Man. Just hypothetically, you know.
>>
>>1076089
There's the 14 year old kid that built a reactor in his backyard. I haven't looked into it at all so I don't know about his documentation, but he had a ted talk.
>>
>>1076079
>Why wait ?

Cause shit will probably split as it dries, and might split even worse while it's still green and being worked.

You leaving them as solid logs or making planks out of em ?

It's like driving a car on a driveway an hour after it's been poured. Give it a lil bit mang
>>
>>1076096
They're gonna stay as logs (buried a bit, maybe 8-12"), very similar to the op pic.
I guess I'll have to tell my lady that they're gonna have to sit in the shed regardless.
Should I buy some pentacryl like >>1076069 said or would that not be necessary?
After letting it sit for I guess a year, how should I treat the logs for longevity? Colorado weather is very rarely mild.
>>
>>1076101
>I guess I'll have to tell my lady that they're gonna have to sit in the shed regardless.

Dude it's almost November ain't nobody gonna want to sit outside here soon. Just wait till spring.

Definitely seal them especially if being semi buried. Atleast end grains. Probably go heavy on a sealant for the side that will be "buried".
>>
>>1076062
You can't.

1. The stumps are not seasoned yet, and thus will dry, and thus will shrink, and thus will crack, and thus will allow water to bypass any treatment you give them. They will also shrink/expand with humidity as the weather changes. You cannot stop this outside of a hermetically sealed chamber.
2. The only outdoor protectant worth a damn is paint. Everything else needs to be refreshed every 1-2 years or it becomes worse then nothing, since it actually locks in moisture that penetrates it and speeds up rot. (only true in climates that alternate wet-dry-wet. Like Colorado.)
3. The most important thing is actually to simply keep them off the ground.
>>
on the topic of logs, how do you prep a recently fell tree for processing into suitable building material? if i wanted to use a tree on my property for say, the ridgebeam of a barn, would i have to treat it or cure it in any way besides letting it sit out to dry?
>>
Wood is a non-homogenous material. It's pretty consistent in the direction along the grain, but the other directions will expand and contract with humidity. Green wood has a huge amount of water in it and it's not really feasible to keep it that wet. There's treatments like PEG but a stump/log is way too big to treat.
>>
>>1076253
Depends on what tools you have available and how big it is. The main goal is to let it sit and season, aka dry out. This can take several years for a full size log. With hand tools (splitting wedges+sledgehammer) you can split it lengthwise into sections. These will be smaller, lighter, and dry faster, but will likely bow or twist more as they dry. You can cut it crosswise with a chainsaw (like OP's pic) but each round will split near it's ends as it dries. It's a tradeoff between speed of drying and what shape of timber you need when it's done. Also, you have to keep it covered and out of the rain, but with enough open air so it doesn't rot from humidity or bugs.

A final option is to rough it out the the final shapes you want, + at least an inch in width and a foot in length (or more, especially for bigger timbers). Then you hope it doesn't warp too much, and use the extra length you left to refine it down once it's seasoned. This works well for straight grained logs, not so much for curvy ones.
>>
File: dance.jpg (138KB, 1276x957px) Image search: [Google]
dance.jpg
138KB, 1276x957px
Just finished my first ever DIY project, a 5-button dance pad put together on the floor of my apartment bedroom. I have no prior experience with any kind of construction more sophisticated than macaroni artwork so it was a wild ride and I made a few mistakes, but I did it and it works. However, it's heavier than I'd like and it looks like the glued-together plywood abortion that it is, so I want to build a second one that's thinner and more aesthetic.

My question is, is there a better way to sense that a player has stepped on one of the buttons? My current solution is just some simple contacts cut from sheet metal (pic) and they work well enough, but some steps/songs require a lighter touch due to body positioning and these contacts won't always register such a step if the amount of top plate touching the bottom plate is insufficient to connect the input & ground leads, and these ones can't really be made more sensitive without making the leads more numerous and finer (and there's a limit to how thin I can feasibly cut them with tin snips).

tldr; I need more sensitive pressure sensing.
>>
I'm looking for a bendable tube that will hold its position like the necks of these lamps. What are these things called and where can I get it? I don't need a lot of it but I don't really wanna cannibalize a lamp either.
>>
File: s0044272_sc7.jpg (11KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
s0044272_sc7.jpg
11KB, 380x380px
>>1076483
>>
>>1076483
Metal electrical conduit, its sold at every hardware store in the electric section
>>
>>1076279

As it so happens, I've got a dance pad on the backburner.

Just use separate contacts on the button and base, rather than trying to have the button try to touch both contacts at once.
>>
>>1076483
http://www.hagitec.com/products/flexible-metal-conduits/product-list/gooseneck-tubes/
>>
>>1076486
>>1076496
Thanks senpaitachi
>>
File: R009.jpg (3MB, 3048x2286px) Image search: [Google]
R009.jpg
3MB, 3048x2286px
How do I make a recess like this without a router? I've got an oscillating tool, a circular saw, a cordless drill with some spade bits, and some cheap chisels with no sharpening equipment

My recess needs to be 1 inch deep, in 1 3/4 inch thick softwood, but it doesn't have to be nice looking. I would try just drilling holes that are roughly an inch deep with my largest spade bit, but I think it would probably be worn down to a nub before I got half of the holes bored
>>
>>1076563
>how to do x without proper tools

you cant, get proper tools
>>
>>1076571
Is there a tool that can do this other than a rather expensive router?
>>
>>1076578
a milling machine
>>
>>1076578
Yes, a cheap router.

http://m.harborfreight.com/power-tools/routers/1-1-2-half-hp-variable-speed-plunge-router-67119.html
>>
File: FH02DJA_WOODCH_01[1].jpg (56KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
FH02DJA_WOODCH_01[1].jpg
56KB, 600x600px
>>1076578
Look for some kind of cutting tool made especially for wood.
>>
>>1076563
you can make a diy plane router like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2a_FwjAgk
>>
>>1076563
Forstner bit. Will need touch up work after.
>>
>>1076590
Thanks! I'll try this out. I've sharpened up one of my chisels with some soapy water and sandpaper. No clue if that's enough, but it's sharper than when I started
>>
Is there a good way to repair the outer sole of a shoe? I have a crack in the rubber sole of a pair of shoes which could otherwise last a few more months. It lets water in through the bottom. Can I melt it back together or glue it or similar?

Thanks friends
>>
>>1076563

You get a 1 inch board and a 3/4 inch board, you cut out the shape from the 3/4 inch board and glue the boards together.
>>
File: diy folder.jpg (114KB, 1252x451px) Image search: [Google]
diy folder.jpg
114KB, 1252x451px
I downloaded a file a long time ago called diy.zip, its 11.1GB but the file didn't download right.

Anyone know where I can find it? I've been looking all morning. All files are corrupt so I cant get anything other than a list of the files that were inside
>>
>>1076062
just leave the fucking logs outdoors it's not like they're gonna explode they'll just crack a little and they'll be okay
>>
>>1076563
how much do you abuse your tools dude? Why should the bit be worn after that drilling?
>>
>>1076091
Link or it didn't happen.

When I was 14 I couldn't stop masturbating and playing vidya long enough to do my homework, let alone invent a fuckin generator.
>>
>>1076772
This anon is a genius.
>>
>>1076912
>he's never experienced an unseasoned log explosion

You'll learn one day, kid.
>>
>>1076563
Poor man's hand router

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2a_FwjAgk

Or this is easiest of all
>>1076772
>>
>>1076923
Oh, the butt splinters.

It was horrible.

I will never forget.
>>
>>1076863
It reminds me of "survivor library", but earlier version. You can try to look for torrent, or just browse it online http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1014
>>
File: 1.jpg (17KB, 356x392px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
17KB, 356x392px
>>1076062
Just debark it and leav it. It will last probably copule of years.

But if you really want to make it a semi-furniterue here's what you need to do:

1.Debark it and cut something like pic related. Cut doesn't need to be that wide like on pic, you just need to make it to the center. That way wood won't crack when drying.

2. Let it dry. It will take 1,2 or even 3 years if you just leave it in the garage or some other place where rain won't fall on it.

3. Paint it and paint it good. Especially end grain. To simply put, wood is densly packet series of tubes that transport water from roots to leaves, so end grain needs a little extra paint to seal it. You said that you want to put it/buriead a bit into the ground, so you might consider puting something extra on the bottom like tar or something to prevent moisture getting from the ground.

TL;DR: Debark it and leave or make it a project for the next 1-3 years.
>>
>>1076938
looks like SL is even better, thanks for the link!
>>
File: 1DWrabg.jpg (56KB, 640x799px) Image search: [Google]
1DWrabg.jpg
56KB, 640x799px
I'm interested in growing my own veggies for use in cooking. Some broccoli, tomatoes, maybe carrots. How should I go about this? Is there anyone here who knows about this? Or should I grab a book on it? Or find some site online?
Or is it as simple as "stick seed in ground, water daily"? (I doubt it)
No experience doing any sort of gardening, but I've got some basic tools like a shovel, clippers, hoe, etc.
>>
>>1076918
https://www.google.com/search?q=nuclear+boy+scout&safe=off&biw=1237&bih=840&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq5Yzfvf_PAhVOx2MKHZ1_CqkQ_AUIBygA&dpr=1.03
>>
>>1077090
It's easy to start with seedlings rather then seeds, but otherwise yeah it kind of is. The issue is how to prepare the soil and so forth. Best advice is to look up a guide based on your local climate, they are very common and easy to find on google or even local newspapers do them every spring.
>>
>>1077090
Homegrowmen thread on >>>/out/. But basically, you can grow from seeds, or buy 'starts' from nurseries/stores. Plants need the right amount of water, nutrients, and may be attacked by bugs.
>>
>>1076766
I've JB welded the soles of my boots. Gives you the time to have your new boots shipped in.
Buy Thorogood Boots, /diy/, most comfortable shoe of any kind I've ever worn.
>>
>>1077090
Ive always bought started plants from the store and planted it in tilled ground. Water the shit and it grows.

I also live in the midwest with pretty fertile land, so that may also be a factor.
Home grown tomatoes are the greatest tasting thing on earth
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (9KB, 659x400px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
9KB, 659x400px
Hey /diy/
I built a simple bed with pic related as the connecting pieces. It's basically just 4 planks of wood held together by those things and then some feet to hold the thing up.
I'm rather happy with the thing as it is, even though it's no work of art. My problem is, that it's pretty wobbly.
The top and bottom ends are perfectly fine, you can push against those without any movement from the bed. But the sides are swaying with every movement and are rather noisy.
What can I do to stabilize the bed? I was thinking of maybe putting a beam of wood or two inside from one side to another, but I don't know if that will help or just add more noise.

So in short, how do I stop my bed from wobbling?
>>
>>1077133

What's the bed frame resting on?

If it's resting on blocks just remove the blocks and replace it by a continuous piece of wood, if the sides are a L shape they will resist deformation.

Alternatively just put some square metal tube along the side boards for the frame to rest on, never going to sway again.
>>
File: anonbed.png (15KB, 1078x492px) Image search: [Google]
anonbed.png
15KB, 1078x492px
>>1077140
The bedframe is resting on a beam that's screwed onto the side board. The feet are also screwed onto the sideboard and they are an L shape.
I drew it in paint. Found a manual on the internet and built it. It's not the greatest...
Also the bedframe isn't a solid on with a frame, it's basically multiple small beams connected by some cloth.
>>
>>1077147

So I assume those legs are screwed to the head/end board too?
>>
>>1077149
Actually no. Wow, that was way too simple. Thanks
>>
File: 19655-2720789.jpg (45KB, 807x327px) Image search: [Google]
19655-2720789.jpg
45KB, 807x327px
I'm planning to wire up my house with CAT6, and then run new cables from all the new outlets to get everything the right length. Never made cables before, so going to be grabbing a 50 pack of RJ45s to practice on first, and then a pack of nice connectors to actually use. Is there a particular crimper you guys would recommend, or are they basically all identical? I don't mind paying a premium for good tools; I take care of my stuff, and good tools just make the job so much more enjoyable.
>>
File: 20161029_120626.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161029_120626.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
I have an hq7740 Philips shaver with a dead battery. I opened it to replace it, but the battery tabs are soldered to the circuit.

I already have pretabbed replacement batteries.

What can I do?
I was thinking about removing the dead batteries, leaving a portion of the tab, then joining the existing tabs (soldered to the circuit) with the fresh batteries tabs.

For joining tab to tab, will I need to solder them? Would pressure and some glue suffice? Maybe joining them with a clip and gluing the everlovingshit out of them.

What can I do?
>>
File: PoiBussy.jpg (560KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
PoiBussy.jpg
560KB, 3264x1836px
>>1077155
Another pic.

The tabs fit into a socket leading to the circuit. I was thinking that maybe if I remove the old batteries leaving as much tab as possible I can just fit in the new batteries' tabs and the closeness to the old one will be enough.

Please, enlighten me. I have no idea what the fuck I am doing.
>>
File: squat1.jpg (23KB, 444x358px) Image search: [Google]
squat1.jpg
23KB, 444x358px
I'm making a home gym. I'm going the wood and concrete buckets route for the squat rack. However, I need an a support for the barbell at an intermediate point of the planks.

What's the best way to make this? I can think of some options (a steel piece screwed into the plank, sawing a hollow into it for the barbell to fit, etc) but I don't want to fuck up the wood's structural integrity too much.

What does /diy/ recommend?
>>
>>1077160

Drill holes pointing downward, put some two part epoxy in hole and on a steel rod, jam it in.
>>
>>1077160

PS. is this really going to come out cheaper than a 70$ full steel rack from the shop though?
>>
>>1077162
Thanks! How wide the rod?

>>1077164
Yes. I was given the wood for free and there's no way I can get a rack that cheap in this joke of a country.
>>
>>1077130
>Home grown tomatoes are the greatest tasting thing on earth

>Only two things that money can't buy and that's true love and home grown tomatoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAJq6sHNktc
>>
File: sexy.jpg (142KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
sexy.jpg
142KB, 800x533px
I have a leatherman rebar which I usually take very good care of.

Last time I used it I must have forgotten to clean the blades. It has been gummed up and is stiff. Tools won't open and using it is hard.

My question is, can I soak the leatherman in spirits safely to dissolve the organic gunk? Thank you
>>
File: Press1.jpg (50KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
Press1.jpg
50KB, 500x501px
>>1077166

>Thanks! How wide the rod?

Honestly, no idea. I only suggested the epoxy because you were worried about structural integrity.

That said, this looks simpler.
>>
>>1077174
True. Given the width of the planks I might emulate that and just saw a support on it. Thanks for chipping in!
>>
File: unknown.gif (460KB, 492x497px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.gif
460KB, 492x497px
Are there some guides/tutorials on fixing/repairing car issues?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (749KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
749KB, 3000x1688px
Does the foam provide good water resistance?
There are concrete blocks that, I think, there is a runny pipe behind it.
And currently flooding the area.
I drain the water with small pump, and I've already found the holes where water come from, though there is a little mud.
Will using this stop the water and act as cork?
>>
>>1077197

No, it will just make doing the proper repair a giant PITA.
>>
>>1077203
>proper repair
Let's assume I live in third world country with corrupted government.
Will this at least prevent the puddle from forming?
>>
>>1077203

Oh wait, I misunderstood ... you want to allow the pipe to keep leaking and just seal the hole in the wall? Yeah polyurethane foam is waterproof and if it can get stuck in there well enough the water won't push it out.

If there is simply a wall of water behind your wall then it's going to keep causing you problems though.
>>
are there any decent (preferably anonymous) places to get advice/input on nsfw projects? my question is a simple one but i assume the "sfw only" rule is actually enforced here.
>>
>>1077155
Leave as much of the original tabs in place as possible. Maybe cut them at the place where they go under the white frame around the cells. Insert the new cells, but be sure the polarity is correct. Either route the tabs of the new cells under the white frame as well if there is enough space, or over the edge of it (maybe extended with short wires), so that they touch the rest of the original tabs. Then connect them by soldering. Gluing and stuff won't work. If you don't have a soldering iron, head to the nearest hackerspace.
>>
Where can I find a FREE, large container(s) to hold 10 gallons of gasoline? Are there businesses that might discard large liquid tanks or buckets or something?
>>
>>1077256
www.fbi.com/tips
>>
/k/ here

I want to make this stand, and I already bought the pipe and wood, but do I need to use special bolts or anything connecting the wood to wall studs? Or just regular 3" wood screws

All said and done it would be supporting 30-50lbs so it doesn't need to be monstrously strong or anything but I definitely don't want it ripping out and breaking my studs in half
>>
>>1077435
>just regular 3" wood screws

3 or 3-1/2 inch wood screws should be fine IF you hit the studs

pencil mark the wall where you think the center of the stud is
use an ice pick to probe 3/4" next to the pencil mark - toward the other mark
when you're assured of the position of the stud, re-do the pencil mark for the center
the backboard will cover the probe holes

|.. ..|
>>
>>1077478

It's definitely going in studs

I popped the cover off the nearby light switch and can see the stud, and the stud finder and my knocking hand confirms the next stud 16" away

My only concern was I thought I remember reading somewhere that regular screws don't cut it if you have a certain amount of weight pulling downward like that rack in pic related or something
>>
>>1077478
>>1077523

Use a stud sensor to make sure?

do people not have stud sensors? I thought those were like a basic home owner tool.
>>
>>1077526
Did you read the part where I said I already have, and used the stud finder.

And regardless, the question isn't whether or not I have studs in my wall, but whether regular screws will be strong enough, but thanks for talking down to me when you lack basic reading comprehension
>>
>>1077523

the amount of weight in your picture will be completely fine for a few 3" screws. I'd bet that even one 3" screw could hold that all up. A couple of screws in each stud will do you just fine.

source: work in construction
>>
>>1077260
It actually worked without soldering. I cut the old tabs and inserted the new ones in place. The socket was narrow enough that the contact surface was good enough.

Thanks for the input though, I'll have to get a solder at some point.
>>
>>1077174
That looks like it could tip over very easily
>>
>>1077173
Anyone?
>>
>>1077655
>can I soak the leatherman in spirits safely to dissolve the organic gunk?

Is your leatherman all metal?
Are the 'spirits' in a metal can?
>>
File: ammonia-aromatic-spirit-1147234.jpg (12KB, 280x450px) Image search: [Google]
ammonia-aromatic-spirit-1147234.jpg
12KB, 280x450px
>>1077655
>>1077677

naw, man - i wouldn't do that
>>
File: diy.jpg (3MB, 3264x3672px) Image search: [Google]
diy.jpg
3MB, 3264x3672px
Hey /diy/, I know this isn't a fix my shit board, but this seems like an easy fix for anyone who isn't as retarded as I am. I finished cleaning the sink pipes and now I'm reassembling the pipework, but I'm failing to make a proper seal, the tighter pipe just comes out of the bigger one easily. The left part of the first picture fell off while I was screwing the pipes in, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about it. I made sure all the pipes are in the right position, so it's definitely these two ends of the pipes and this "screw" or whatever the hell it's called. Any advice or suggestion appreciated.
>>
>>1077410
>Thinking the FBI cares about home made pocket pussies and ball gags
>>
>>1077153
Okay, platinum tools crimper for ez rj45 and ezrj45 jacks. For your female jacks get a spring loaded punch down tool, I have a fluke, but there are no name clones that work just as well. Expect to pay about 20 for the punch down. And 70 for the crimper. You will only need a few extra connectors if you do the ez rj45 because you can verify the order is right before you crimp with these. Get a patch panel for your network area.
>>
File: 4663965685_1250c228e3.jpg (31KB, 370x500px) Image search: [Google]
4663965685_1250c228e3.jpg
31KB, 370x500px
>>1077729
pic related even though slightly different

The compression washer is what keeps it from leaking.
Your washer looks pretty bad
slide nut over drain tube
slide washer over drain tube with wedge pointed to mating fitting
slip drain tube into fitting
engage compression nut to drain threads
tighten to firm hand tight
If the washer is good and the tube and pipe are in alignment it won't leak
>>
>>1077189
Yeah, try youtube.com you hecking goober
>>
>>1077256
You can post them here as long as you refer to them as SFW items. e.g. cock rings are "bracelets", butt plugs are "decorative statuettes", etc.
>>
>>1077197
No, this stuff is shit. I tried weather sealing a shed with it. Bugs burrow through it, grass grows straight through it, anything left in the weather just disintegrates.
>>
File: 85899.jpg (11KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
85899.jpg
11KB, 360x360px
i bought this thick plastic cutting board for a project. I need to cut a 13.78" circle out of it. What tool would be best for this?

At my disposal I have a jigsaw, a Dremelâ„¢, and a key hole saw. I feel like the jigsaw would be easiest to control but this plastic doesn't have grain and fibers like wood so i think it'll be a disaster trying to cut it.

It's heavy and like a cm+ thick. I doesn't have to be an absolutely clean cut but wat do?
>>
File: 349058794.gif (2MB, 400x273px) Image search: [Google]
349058794.gif
2MB, 400x273px
>Where does /diy/ get ideas on things to make?

My psych wants me to make more things because it's the only thing I enjoy. I've just been making/fixing things as they come up.

Seems like anything diy on the internet is just women gluing glitter to pine cones.

I have a reasonable workshop, drill press, stick welder, soldering iron
>>
>>1077952
My favorite thing is to make things to help me make other things. Aka tools.

Other then that, I look around and see what I need. Need a table? Make a table. Need a drawer organizer? Make a drawer organizer. Etc.
>>
>>1077948
>At my disposal I have a jigsaw
This is the correct tool to cut the plastic.
>>
>>1077967
I'll give it a try. I think the blade is fairly fine so that should be decent. I just really can't afford to phuc it up!
>>
>>1077969
>I think the blade is fairly fine so that should be decent
Don't use a fine blade, it will tend to melt the plastic instead of cutting it.
Use a blade with a larger kerf so the teeth leave clearance for the backing of the blade.
>>
>>1077981
>a larger kerf
I should have said "a wider kerf "
>>
>>1077981
oh, okay then. i was reading the opposite, that it should be fine to get a better cut in the plastic, rather than chopping at it and getting clogged with plastic

that's why i was kinda thinking i'd get a cutting bit for the dremel and try that
>>
How can I repair the color on plastic/acetate frames that are black? Markers and Vaseline don't work. Is there a type of paint that won't affect my skin?
>>
>>1077677
Spirits are in a glass bottle. Yes, leatherman is all metal.
>>1077678
Okay cheers

Thank you guys
>>
>>1077984
>get a cutting bit for the dremel and try that
The high speed of the Dremel would 'melt' the plastic too.
A medium wood cutting blade for your jigsaw is best.
Don't use 'bi-metal' blades because of the 'wrinkles' in the cutting edge.
>>
>>1078027
shrinks
>>
>>1078028
I was too fast
some wood glues do expand
Gorilla Glue for one.
>>
>>1078029
yeah that's why i was curious actually
>>
File: albini.jpg (30KB, 254x320px) Image search: [Google]
albini.jpg
30KB, 254x320px
Anybody got useful tips for using shellac? Can you apply it over a stain?
>>
>>1078008
does it matter of it melts the plastic?
>>
>>1077173
Yea you can. It'll remove all the lubrication from the tool, so make sure you oil it up after
>>
File: DSC_0792.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0792.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
How to strip the paint from these cast iron handrails?

I think it's a kind of glossy egg shell paint on top but there must be about 4 layers under there.
>>
>>1078093
you can buy a paint remover in any hardware store
just ask around
apply, scrub, rinse and repeat as long as necessary
>>
>>1078085
The melting plastic will stick to the blade and build up on it.
That plastic stuck to the blade hardens and you have a plastic stick going up and down trying to rub a path through the material.
If you don't want to buy a new blade for this just go slowly and stop to peel the plastic off the blade if it tries to melt to it.
It's a rectangle - practice on a corner or two to see how it goes.
>>
>>1077206
>If there is simply a wall of water behind your wall then it's going to keep causing you problems though.
Not wall of water, since the drainage is flooding me.
The asshole have some concrete blocks separating sidewalk similar to pic related.
And water is coming from the open areas at the bottom.
If the foam seals the water and force it to collect at his side the asshole might do something.
>>1077932
Will it at least last a few weeks?
>>
File: 569272_v2.gif (2MB, 350x196px) Image search: [Google]
569272_v2.gif
2MB, 350x196px
>>1077867
Sorry, I should have been more precise.
How do I know / diagnose what's wrong?
>>
File: 2016-11-01 19.09.00.jpg (925KB, 2688x1512px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-01 19.09.00.jpg
925KB, 2688x1512px
trying to figure out what each post on this alternator is and what they do. its a DB Electrical ABO0366 and is compatable with these part numbers according to the manufacturer
>ARROWHEAD ABO0366
>ARROWHEAD (OEM) BAL9963SB
>BOSCH 0-124-625-044
>J & N 400-24069
>LESTER 12715
>WAI 1-3021-00BO, 12715N
>>
How do i finish this for easy on easy off?
>>
File: IMG_2092.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2092.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1078767
>>
>>1078768
Falconers knot
>>
File: diy landmann.jpg (32KB, 400x336px) Image search: [Google]
diy landmann.jpg
32KB, 400x336px
to the australian lurking, where do you get your supplies for construction?

Bunnings, truevalue hardware, mitre 10?
i just want a decent solid bbq grill like pic related, but i haven't been able to find cheap bricks (foreigner)
>>
>>1078953
Why would you want to build that? On purpose? Jesus, are Americans the only people who know how to BBQ?

Don't get me started again on lifting the heat to the meat. It's fucking retarded.
>>
>>1078953
Cheap bricks can normally be found on Gumtree for super cheap or even free when people need to get rid of them.

Apart from that brickyard type places also have bricks that are either not up to normal grade or are chipped. Very cheap
>>
>>1078961
what about refractory bricks for heat distribution?
>>
>>1078961
btw thanks for the tip on Gumtree
>>
>>1078953
Mitre 10 is a complete rip off, and nobody there knows what they're talking about.
Bunnings is much better.
>>
I have a cheap tablet where the charging port had been violently damaged

Took it apart bc it's useless anyway and I'm not really comfortable with soldering something this small yet, stripped it as far as I pretty much could but now I'm wondering;

The power intake was, logically, soldered straight to the main board, but the battery had wires. Could I strip the charger's wires down a bit and connect those to the wires that used to go to the battery?

Also the battery had a third wire, do tablets have grounding or what is that
>>
>>1079121
The tablet has charge control circuitry on the board.
The charger is just a power supply and will surely overcharge the battery if connected directly.
The third wire on the battery is a temperature sense lead.
It tells the on-board charger when the battery is too warm and to stop charging.
>>
>>1076062
Why do you need them to be so fancy, they are fucking stumps, more trees will die or need to be cut in the next five years, just move them around as you see fit.
>>
>>1079202
If you had read the thread you'd see that my best advice has been to just wait a bit and just let them sit until we get major butt splinter explosions. I got five kids, I I'll know what's up.
>>
>>1079206
What kind of wood is it?
Usually wood get less splintery and rough over time as the bark peels off and the weather smoothes it out.

Just nail a piece of shaped plywood, some 2xs or a broken old chair top to it if you are that worried about splinters.
>>
Does anyone here own a Grizzly G0765, the 7"x14"? I'm debating picking one up. I have a wood lathe, and it's a fun tool, I figure a metal one seems like even more fun, and Grizzly seems to be the way to go as far as metal lathe prices. Any downsides to one of these over another one for the $600 price?
>>
>>1079199
>overcharge the battery
The battery's gone, I removed it

I'm talking about hooking up the power supply to where the battery used to connect to the board
>The third wire on the battery is a temperature sense lead
So I don't need that, okay

For clarification, what I have right now is;

-board with physically broken power intake
-screen+touchscreen
-power supply
(-camera)
>>
>>1076062
Get a divorce. Then make the seats.
>>
File: 1476992859950.jpg (237KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1476992859950.jpg
237KB, 1280x1707px
Why do some LED bulbs flicker or buzz when put on dimmer switches?
>>
>>1079241
don't forget to add $600 for tooling
>>
>>1079306
>Why do some LED bulbs flicker or buzz when put on dimmer switches?

google knows everything: http://recessedlighting.com/led-buzzing/
>>
It is going to crack and check no matter ho ell you seal it, paint it, or even if you have a humidity controlled wood kiln. Those are just so big. Most wood dries at a rate of about an inch a year to equilibrium to the local air. Just seal the ends to mitigate the checking a bit but it will be no problem. Those will not be fully seasoned until after you dog dies of old age or you kids are out of the house. Don't bother waiting.
>>
Here's a stupid question

Is there any harm in plasti-dipping a cheap wooden cabinet and having it in the back of my camper shell where I sleep?

I picked up a carpeted cabinet for $5 (made specifically for the back of my camper shell). The carpet was gross so I removed it. I've got extra cans of plastic dip so if there's no issue having plastic dipped wood in my "bedroom" then its the simplest solution right now and I'll do it.

Can't and anything online saying not to, figured I'd see how retarded I am on here. Thanks
>>
>>1079316
thank you, sirrah
>>
File: it's all over right.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
it's all over right.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
So my shitboxes rubber boot that is supposed to cover the cv joint had slipped off, and looks like (pic related). The rubber is intact and it was still covering the joint when i found out the "zip tie" broke. What should i do about this, i'm not going to buy new boot, so should i just put more grease in there and but a zip tie on it?
>>
I've seen some posts with really good 3d models of stuff they want to make. What program is the best for doing this?
>>
File: 41p3Bex3cDL._SY300_.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41p3Bex3cDL._SY300_.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>1079379
Zip tie is fine. I'd probably get a radiator hose clamp thing like pic related.
>>
>>1079313
>>>1079241
>don't forget to add $600 for tooling
For sure. Do you know if these are rigid enough that I can use them on harder materials, or am I stuck with just the soft stuff? I realize I wouldn't be able to take deep cuts on hard stuff, but I'd at least like the option of still being able to do it, albeit slowly.
>>
>>1079350

Just don't do the spray painting inside your camper and it will be fine. Kind of an expensive way to paint a cabinet though.
>>
>>1079417

I think painting inside the camper is the cutoff for how retarded I am. I might end HP using something other than the plastidip, just wondering because thsets what I've got.

Thanks for the input, I'll get to it now
>>
i found a sanyo DVD/vcr combo in the trash when i tried it out it everything looks like it works but the DVD section rumbles like bitch could it be lose or does anyone know if it something eles?
>>
File: Kanabo2-0.jpg (24KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Kanabo2-0.jpg
24KB, 500x375px
>have autistic weeb urge to make pic related

I figured I can buy a wooden 4x4 or a 2x2 and cut it into an octagonal shape, but what would be the best item/way to attach the metal studs to the body?

I don't really know what to actually use (rivets, bolts, etc) and I don't know the best way to attack them so that they don't fall out if I whack something with it.
>>
File: 20161103_161420.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_161420.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Im making an air filter using this fan and I have a stupid question . Do I build the filter on the suck or blow side?
>>
>>1079430
Check out zna productions on YouTube. He does one and it's bretty good.
>>
>>1079437
Do you want to keep stuff out of the fan or out of the room?
>>
>>1079286
>-power supply
The power supply needs to be 3.8 to 4.2 volts to mimic the battery.
Probably needs to be very low noise too.
>>
>>1079466
It's the original charger

I can't help but feel we're not on the same line here
>>
>>1079486
The original charger supplies a higher voltage than the battery voltage.
The on-board charge circuit controls how much goes to the battery.
The tablet is designed to run off the battery - not the charger.
If you connect the original charger to the battery wires with no battery connected you will likely destroy the tablet.
Even five volts is probably enough to kill the motherboard.
If you'd rather risk it than do a proper repair, hook it up to see.
>>
Which is stronger, cast or milled metal?
>>
>>1079506
>hook it up to see.

You forgot to tell him to video it and post .webm here.
>>
>>1079509
milled obviously
>>
File: so then the wife said.jpg (221KB, 1023x670px) Image search: [Google]
so then the wife said.jpg
221KB, 1023x670px
>>1076062
>So, how would I have to treat some stumps to sit in my backyard and endure Colorado weather?

Whatever you do, make sure it's something that will allow you to burn (outdoors) those log "chairs" without being too stinky when they start rotting, because they will rot regardless.
>>
How do i make a (passive if possible) air filter? I just stuffed a plastic bottle with some socks to blow in cigar smoke and seems to be working somewhat.
>>
Toilet paper roll + ~6 dryer sheets + 1 rubber band
Use the band to close one end with a sheet, crumble and stuff the rest of the sheets in.
>>
I have water hammer, and want to solve it by shutting off the main water supply and turning all the taps on, etc.

There are 2 valves in my airing cupboard and I don't know which one is the water shutoff valve. There is a red wheel valve and a yellow lever valve. Is there a usual colour code for this sort of thing? Or another way I can figure out which valve is which? I'm obviously very new to plumbing.
>>
>>1079634
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the yellow lever valve will be your gas line.
>>
>>1079639
Yeah it was, tried turning it and hot water went off. Thanks.
>>
I need a 12V ~10Ah battery that can be drained fairly low (no starter batteries). What should I get?
>>
File: angle.jpg (5KB, 144x120px) Image search: [Google]
angle.jpg
5KB, 144x120px
best way to cut wood at angle steeper than 45°?

i've got table saw, circular saw and or plunge etc.

to be precise i need to cut it at the narrow side at that angle, like pic related
>>
>>1079655
mitre block
>>
>>1079655
Table saw and a miter gauge. Unless the wood is long and would be awkward to push through a table saw. In which case >>1079664
>>
Why are tie rods adjustable? Why not have a non threaded bar that's the correct length? If you keep everything stock on the vehicle is there any reason the rods should adjust? Just curious.
>>
>>1079753
Good question anon, actually nobody knows why so lets find out? Go get your steering aligned then weld it all so its fixed. Let us know how you get on!
>>
>>1076062
Is to difficult to plaster a brick wall?
I know someone who does a nice work with plaster, but the fucker has horrible ethic work, so I want to do myself
>>
File: woodstain.jpg (75KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
woodstain.jpg
75KB, 736x552px
how would i best achieve a wood stain with multiple colors overlapping and mixing into random patterns like pic related? i don't intend to use the same colors though, probably just black and green.

do i just stain the wood twice in a row with 2 different colors, or will that just ruin it? what do i do senpaitachi
>>
>>1076091
You talk the lad who build a Farnsworth fusor?
>>
>>1079763
It's easy enough. It's knowing the little things that you'll really only learn through practice. Good luck, friend.

https://youtu.be/bCf-xtUd9Lk
>>
>>1079783
>>1076918

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Wilson
>>
>>1079776
https://www.unicornspit.com/
>>
File: Steel-Ikea-bunk-bed-with-desk.jpg (41KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
Steel-Ikea-bunk-bed-with-desk.jpg
41KB, 550x550px
What do you call this and how would i go about making it?
>>
>>1079814
loft bed with desk
>>
>>1079776
black is easy. make a ferric acetate stain (vinegar+steel wool, sit overnight, strain out rust. make what you need, doesn't keep) and brush that in the pattern you want your grey/black to be. Then stain over that with the green.

Because the FA isn't actually a stain - it reacts with the tannic acid naturally in the wood and changes the woods color - you can stain over it however you like. It will even tolerate light sanding. You can pre-prep the wood with strong black tea to get a blacker final look, since tea is full of tannic acid.
>>
>>1079814
>What do you call this and how would i go about making it?
Are you a fucking retard ? Read the filename.
>>
>>1079836
bunkbeds usually have two beds. i just wanted to know if it had another name.
>>
>>1079841
bunk desk
>>
File: 20160925_094533.jpg (849KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160925_094533.jpg
849KB, 2048x1152px
Ammonia exposure from litterbox?

I've posted about my cat before but I'm really starting to worry about my health and the cat litter. I have to keep the cat in my bedroom/bath combo because if she's anywhere else, the dogs will attack her. I've used this setup for years but recently have noticed my health has potentially suffered. I remove the lumps from the litter box as often as possible, every 2-3 days, but that's not enough. This cat's bladder is huge, her pee clumps can easily be the size of a sotfball. She pees loudly against the wall of the litterbox, almost human-like. I often wonder if it's because of this that the litter often doesn't harden into tight clumps like it does with my other cat (different area of house). Over those couple of days the pee and litter "melts" together to form one giant mass. I've had some the size of footballs. When the clump breaks apart it's very moist inside. I just can't stand the odor anymore and I wonder if my health has been effected.

I've made these giant litterboxes from plastic tubs (roughly 2x4 feet) because if she's not completely inside, she'll easily pee over the side of the box. The hole where she enters is about 7-8 inches off the ground.

couple of questions here:

1. could this be the cause of my tiredness?

2. solutions for the litter problem? prefer to keep the cat, but this is becoming a problem
>>
File: WALLBOX1WH.main.jpg (20KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
WALLBOX1WH.main.jpg
20KB, 600x600px
>>1077153
You don't want to terminate your runs with plugs. Trust me. You want to put keystone sockets on the ends of your wires, and have it all come back to a patch panel.

Pic related - a surface mount RJ45 keystone socket.
>>
>>1079851
Punchdown tool can also be helpful.
>>
>>1079852
This is the pic I didn't include. Note that most keystone RJ45 sockets can be installed without this tool. But the punchdown tool just makes it easier
>>
>>1076062
>Colorado

What weather? Or are you in the mountains?

Down here in the foothills we get nothing.
>>
File: 190278_1.jpg (55KB, 700x427px) Image search: [Google]
190278_1.jpg
55KB, 700x427px
>>1079853
RJ45 panel. Damn these are sexy.
>>
>>1079855
A keystone panel is not as sexy but probably cheaper.
>>
Is there a way to silence my dirt bike so i can drive around without having people complaining? I thought adding more curves to the exhaust pipe would reduce the noise, but i bet there are better ways, right?
>>
File: skf-2-category-large.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
skf-2-category-large.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>1079856
Keystone sockets can also be put into a face plate.
>>
>>1079814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKj0bFDBXEw
>>
So I've bought a cheap second hand front loading washing machine. The plan is to throw a cinder block into it while it's on spin cycle, as per the popular YouTube video. Has me wondering if front loaders have an sensor to detect unbalanced loads? (only ever used top loaders before) and if it does, how would one disable it?
>>
File: photo-large.jpg (33KB, 455x328px) Image search: [Google]
photo-large.jpg
33KB, 455x328px
What kind of table top is this? I want to get into woodworking and figured a good start would be to design a workbench. I like this one's table top.
>>
>>1079889
Well it will certainly have a sensor to detect the fucking door being open.
As for unbalanced loads typically the 'sensor' is a block of concrete stuffed into the lid
>>
I'm making a small wooden box to keep stuff in (should look a lot like pic related), and there are a few things I'm not sure about since I'm new to this

1. What is the best order to finish the wood in? I figured I would cut the box into parts, then stain, then finish, then sand out the parts where I'd glue the parts together and assemble it. that way, I wouldn't have to mess around with staining/finishing the closed off parts inside the box

2. Any thought on what finish or stain to use to get a finish similar to pic related? I was going to use a water-based stain and a water-based glossy polyuthrene, not sure if that's wrong. I was going to do finish in the order of: stain, sand, finish, sand, finish.

I'm really bad at this, help
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
What is the white piece? It glows blue when I turn the tv on. I don't think it's a diode
>>
>>1079506
Yea okay I checked the battery voltage which is indeed much lower than the charger's. I'll just have to see if I have a charger with that voltage

amperage doesn't matter if it's not lower though, right?
>>
>>1076062
Any advice on setting up and living out of a yurt as a permanent home? Especially what land to look out for, potential places, legalities, etc
>>
>>1080185

the yurt meme strikes again. they must be showing the Genghis Khan movie on TV again.
>>
Here's a fatally stupid question.
What's a good way of cleaning up Asbestos tiles that have had dog crap and piss on them, and have been exposed for about a year or two? Should they just get buried?
>>
File: 1920px-Kar_98K_-_AM.021488.jpg (126KB, 1920x911px) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Kar_98K_-_AM.021488.jpg
126KB, 1920x911px
Hey I got redirected from /k/ for this:

I'm on the fence between Boiled Linseed Oil and Tung Oil.
What is better for a wood stock finish similar to pic related, maybe a bit darker? Why?
>>
>>1076943
You could probably bake it in your oven btw. You'd have to look up the curing process to get the right temperature and baking time. It might sound ridiculous, but it could definitely work.

Also painting it isn't essential if it doesn't rain consistently. I would personally but I live in the PNW. If you're going to paint, though, use a deck paint. There's pretty good latex deck paint at Sherwin Williams.
>>
>>1080324
>>1076943
Thanks a lot, bro. Much appreciated.
So why can't I leave the bark on? Like I said, I don't work with wood whatsoever.
>>
If I have a power strip rated for 15A with 5 outlets, can I draw 15A from a single outlet on the strip, using it like an extension cord?
>>
>>1080363

you can in theory, but if it's one of those chinese-made cheap jobbies, and you saw how flimsy they're inside, you wouldnt risk it.

anyway, try it for 10 minutes and see if it gets too warm. live dangerously.
>>
>>1080320
I don't know about using on a gun stock, but I use boiled linseed oil on all of my ax handles and I swear by it. It protects, seals, gives a nice finish. Again, that's for a working tool, nothing fancy. Also, it's not going to make the stock too much darker than that picture. It depends on the wood really.
>>
File: symbol.png (43KB, 900x803px) Image search: [Google]
symbol.png
43KB, 900x803px
What's the best way to put a detailed symbol on a wood? Stencil + spray paint? Or stencil and a blow torch?

Pic related is the symbol, it should be about 3-4cm diameter
>>
>>1080501
Ink transfer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq2O66QGCwg
>>
>>1080508
yeah that could work

is there a way to prevent the ink from looking faded and cracked? google image search shows that a lot of them turn out that way
>>
I have a large window and the window screen's frame is slightly bent so any pressure will cause it to fall out. My cat loves to lay in the sill, and that causes the screen to fall out. And I need that window to be open for heat reasons. Without buying a new screen, how can I keep it in place? I need the screen to be able to be removed if needed, so I can't glue it in place or do anything permanent.
>>
File: 20161106_172043.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161106_172043.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
What is this?
>>
File: 5-8[1].jpg (202KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5-8[1].jpg
202KB, 1280x1024px
There was a power surge at my home a few nights ago and it fried out my computer's PSU. So now I have a broken PSU and am wondering what to do with it.

1. My PC was plugged into a power strip which supposedly has surge protection, but this still happened. What power strip would you guys recommend so this doesn't happen again?

2. Are there any cool projects to do with a broken PSU? Mine is pic related. I was thinking of taking the box and fan grill and making some sort of /out/ stove.
>>
File: 1300044776986 (2).jpg (56KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986 (2).jpg
56KB, 250x250px
>>1080324
>You could probably bake it in your oven btw
>>
How do I open a TR8 Torx Security bit? Like pic related but tiny. I have some spring steel lock picks I can sacrifice and most essential normal tools, no dremel though
>>
>>1080644
Break off the security part, use regular torx, or jam a hex in there. That is, if you really just want to get it done.

If you want to do it right get a security bit set from china and wait a couple of weeks.
>>
File: 1477220744740.jpg (7KB, 286x271px) Image search: [Google]
1477220744740.jpg
7KB, 286x271px
>Pot holes in crusher dust/gravel driveway
In the past I've just shoveled loose gravel in the hole, wet it a little and packed it down. But the holes re-appear eventually.

Can anyone see anything wrong with mixing a little cement into the mix?
>>
>>1080604
How broken is it?
You can make benchtop power supplies from old ones but they have to be mostly working.
Little stove sounds good, be careful of the capacitors in there. The fan is a standard computer fan you could just put back into your computer case.
>>
>>1079820
Bump for tannin staining, it's my go-to stain. th
>>
how do I tie round posts into a fence shape using twine? like when you wrap rope around logs

is there a standard way to do it? everything I try ends up falling loose
>>
File: new-501.jpg (155KB, 819x1023px) Image search: [Google]
new-501.jpg
155KB, 819x1023px
I've got a chair almost like this one (the wood pieces under the cushion are parallel with the arms on mine) and it's old and rickety. How can I tighten it up? The only visible screws are the ones keeping the seat cushion attached.
>>
File: WP_20161104_16_34_37_Pro.jpg (484KB, 1632x920px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161104_16_34_37_Pro.jpg
484KB, 1632x920px
How can you make good looking wiring?

Pic is my current project. Switching colors is necessary because I don't have enough cables.
>>
>>1080928
Hardwire everything. Heat shrink on every connection (Find a good length and cut them all the same).

It looks shit because it's protoboard
>>
>>1080831
Did it anyway. Drying now.
>>
I want to by and air compressor.
For now it would only need to work with a hand full of pneumatic tools. A wrench, sander etc.
Later on I'm hoping to move it to a paint and body shop where it would be used on cars and trucks.
What should i be looking at?
What size tank? How powerful of an engine? How much will it cost me? Money isn't really a too big issue but i'd still like to have a rough idea of the price range
>>
>>1081070
If you're using it in a body shop at any point, it needs to be fucking BIG. Probably 200 gallon+ big. 6+ HP is a good starting point. Maybe $6-10k.
>>
>>1080548
Higher resolution printer, better surface prep of the wood.
>>
What a heat gun is useful to?
>>
How do I get babby's first welding job?

I can do all four arc processes, including pulsed mig, aluminum tig, and open root pipe
>>
File: 20161108_205456.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_205456.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
hi diy, so you have any idea how i can connect the contacts in these two steps of led? i can't solder very well due to its size and upside down ness, and wire glue hasn't worked so far
>>
Tips for bending aluminium sheet by hand?

I know a bit already but looking to avoid as many pitfalls as possible.
I'm building a U shaped case so it will consist of 2 sheets with all bends perpendicular to the grain. I'll be bending over a block of wood with a rounded corner the radius of about the thickness of the aluminium. I read somewhere that I should cover the area in soap and heat it until it turns brown to avoid cracking, is that really necessary in my case?

Thanks for any help
>>
>>1080644
If you can somehow destroy the nub in the middle then a normal flathead screwdriver will fit in.

Otherwise just buy a set of torx screwdrivers, they're not expensive and will come in handy time and time again if you regularly open electronics
>>
>>1080237
Bury them for sure.

If you have no other choice, normal tile cleaner like jeye's fluid and a brush will clean them. Just be careful not to break them and wear a decent mask for protection.
>>
>>1080320
Reminds me of my M48A. Very sexy
>>
So I'm making a guitar for my sisters wedding gift and I've got an artist friend to agree to paint a picture on the pickguard, my question is, what do I use on top of the paint to seal it?
>>
>>1081290
Jesus you're really making a mess of it. How about alligator clips?
>>
>>1081489
i wanted something kinda unobtrusive, i was thinking some kind of conductive tape might work
>>
I own a pic related but the problem is that it's way too tall for my shelf. Is it possible to take all those radio and cassette deck shit off and leave it only with the turntable and the sound control stuff. I will do a neat wooden case to regain the lost weight. I know how to solder etc.
>>
>>1081500
Practice your soldering and just solder it. It's not welding, where upside down becomes a lot harder.
>>
>>1081503
Are they separate parts or faked?
>>
>>1081529

obviously fake. and if the dude tried to separate them with a hacksaw, the insides would be all ruined. so the two simplest solutions are either a bigger shelf, or mini stereo from the thrift store.
>>
Which is the best material for doing a ~10 cm size figurine of Kek for my altar for a newbie to /diy/ projects? I was thinking some soft wood.

If I design it with CAD, where and how can I get it produced? I would like to avoid 3D printing if possible.
>>
File: 20161109_205021.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161109_205021.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1081520
thanks for believing in me senpai, but if a hack job, but it works
>>
>>1081550
It'll do the job and you got some experience. Proud of you son.
>>
File: Catcher.png (3KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
Catcher.png
3KB, 300x298px
Does this even exist? I'm looking to make myself a lazy man solder pump and I need something like this to catch the waste.
>>
>>1081612
Probably, but I made mine from a jar.
>>
>>1081617
I was thinking I would have to do that, but I was hoping someone else made a nice version so I didn't have to reinvent the wheel.
>>
So /diy/ how do I remove old oil stain/mark from a compressor body/receiver? Minus repainting, the paint is still good.
>>
>>1080097
gdt gas discharge tube
>>
Any recommendations on a good heat tape for an application that may be around 330 degrees Fahrenheit?

3m has 2 different values listed for their rating of the 3340 tape
>>
File: 1362563284698.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1362563284698.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
Dishwasher repair:

Setting:
Just bought a house and the dishwasher was not functional. A date code says 2010, hardly looks like it was used, no hard water build up to speak of. WDF520PADM0 model

Diagnosis so far:
Drain hose was kinked when they shoved it back in the cabinet, and that probably bogged down the drain motor and burned it out and blew the fuse.

Error codes:
Drain pump, cold water, over fill switch open.

The fill switch seems to be functioning right now, they were storing shit in the dishwasher so maybe that was just propped up for a while recently. I haven't checked the cold water sensor, but I think it might just be an old code and it can't clear because it won't let it fill with the bad drain pump.

The F1 fuse is open, and the drain motor is out of spec, reading 1.5ohm across the windings, when the spec sheet says 12-20 ohms.
-----
Is there anything else I should check? So far it seems worth fixing, the drain pump is only $65. Is there something easy I might be able to repair in the existing drain pump like a thermal fuse?
>>
File: IMAG0019.jpg (2MB, 2240x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0019.jpg
2MB, 2240x4000px
I made a little screwdriver set for work. Right now it's some Kaizen foam in an Ice Chips tin, but I'm looking for ways to upgrade it. So far I've replaced a couple of bits with double-sided Wiha ones, so I can fit more sizes in. I'm thinking the next big change will be swapping the Kaizen out for silicone. I'm thinking I'll use small cylinder magnets to retain everything while I pour the silicone in, and cut a cheap 6" set of bits down to size to create the bit area, rather than using the current bits, so that I can swap them out later, and have room to get my fingers under the bits to remove them. My only sticking point currently is what hardness of silicone to use, and if tin or platinum cure matters. Y'all got any suggestions for improving my little setup?
>>
File: nhhang.gif (2KB, 200x166px) Image search: [Google]
nhhang.gif
2KB, 200x166px
>razer gaymen mouse pad
>work
>riceing

I have suggestion on life improvements.
See pic.
>>
>>1082283
Thinnest mousepad I could find, I don't like feeling the edge of the pad, and a large enough one cost more. Pretty decent mousepad. Razer is mostly shit, but their mousepads are actually objectively good. Work is just something retail, but I like making little things like this.
>>
how do I cut a CD/DVD without fuckin the data layer?
>>
>>1082370
Make a jig out of an old cd/dvd drive and a razor blade.

It's important to keep the new radius exactly the same throughout the cut so the new disc isn't off balance. They spin quite fast and if they are off balance they can shatter.
>>
>>1082384

this doesn't make sense
>>
>>1082393
Stick the cd on the old drive. It's ideal to use because it's free spinning and exactly the size of the hole in the disc already.

Spin it around and start cutting it with something sharp.
>>
what are your recommendations for a skill saw and a power drill? skill saw has to have a fully adjustable plane and the drill has to be able to do stone/concrete. if you can, suggest an ideal one and a budget one. all help is appreciated
>>
>>1080560
Mini dwemer crossbow
>>
>>1079437
Growing weed are we? Put the filter on the suck side.
>>
File: IMG_20161111_215618123_HDR.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161111_215618123_HDR.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
What kind of screw is this? I need to buy more of this size. I have no idea how screws are classified so I'm sorry for dumb question pls no bully
>>
File: IMG_20161111_215704961.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161111_215704961.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>1082625
On its head
>>
>>1082625
the kind you go to home depot and find while i fucked your mother in the butt on your bed.
>>
>>1082630
Cmon man I dont even know what id ask for
>>
>>1082632
Just go to the screw department and ask the dude there if they've got anything similar. If there's any Fastenal stores or other specialty screw/bolt stores, you might go there first to try to get an ID. The specialty stores generally ONLY sell in bulk though.
>>
>>1082635
Alright then, thanks man
>>
>>1082638
Bring the screw with you. If you try to show the salesman a picture of the screw and say I NEED ONE OF DIS, he'll find something vaguely similar, sell it to you, think you're an idiot, and you'll end up with the wrong one. Matching it is easy if you bring it in, otherwise you just get a random thing that looks similar.
>>
>>1082625
Probably metric.
M4, because the threaded part is 4mm in diameter.

and if you want the same length they'll be advertised as something like "M4 x 5"
4mm diameter and 5mm length.
>>
Any tips to make it easier to thread things so that the thing you're putting in the threads is rotated in a cfertain direction? I want to make a mini cut-of saw out of one of my rotary tools, but I want the controls always facing me.
>>
File: polyurine thang.jpg (66KB, 276x276px) Image search: [Google]
polyurine thang.jpg
66KB, 276x276px
Still looking for advice with on >>1078034

Also, tips for using polyurethane? Will either fuck up Elmer's Wood Filler?
>>
File: kljsadfhklasjd.jpg (24KB, 1047x430px) Image search: [Google]
kljsadfhklasjd.jpg
24KB, 1047x430px
>>1082814
Are you talking about tapping at an angle?
>>
>>1082822
You can put either over stain. No it won't hurt your filler. I once put shellac on half the leaves of a tree during the spring. They stayed green for 5 years even with bad winters. The rest of the tree functioned normally.
>>
>>1082262
I should've followed the manual and saved myself like two hours of fucking around.

Step 1, check f1 fuse.
If it's open, then the board is fucked and toss it.

160 bucks for the board and 40 for the motor. To fix a cheap dishwasher with who knows what else about to fail? No thanks.
>>
>>1082825
Nope, but now that you mention it, also curious on that. I bought a tap to fit the accessory neck on my Dremel, and I want to make sure that when I screw the Dremel in place, I have the controls facing the right way. I can always just experiment and figure out how it lines up vs where I start the tap, but I figure it's worth knowing if there's a trick in case I have a project in the future where I can't afford to experiment.
>>
File: Untitled.png (96KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
96KB, 500x500px
Would it be stupid to shave off just a tiny bit of the rubber on the circled corner so that the plug above this power strip can fit into the outlet snugly? Assuming this will leave plenty of insulation in there but not sure exactly how thick it is in this part or if I'll be in for a nasty surprise when I try to plug it back in.
>>
vehicle heat not blowing warm. It's been getting down in the 30s at night and no matter how long I leave it running it won't get warm. I added antifreeze and it's where it should be. I'm not sure what to try next. The air blows, it just doesn't blow warm.

Oh and the temp guage works fine. It gets to normal operating temperature and stays there until the vehicle is turned off and it cools back down. No issues there. Could it be the thermostat?
>>
>>1084074
A power strip costs like what 1$
So cut it then take it to a testing facility and get it certified by putting it in an immersion bath and checking the insulation resistance. I guess you could find an electrician with an ir tester to test just that part for you.
Or just try it out and don't kill yourself, test it with the back of your hand and make sure there is someone there to restart your heart and call an ambulance.
I say restart your heart of course I don't mean that literally because your body will do that I mean try to get you out of an abnormal rhythm, a defib might be useful.
If it doesn't work then bend or ideally snap the pins of before you throw it out so someone else doesn't hurt themselves. No cutting the whole plug off is a bad idea because people are stupid enough to plug a plug in and kill themselves with the bare flex toddlers do it every year.
>>
>>1084074
It should work but is not the brightest idea.
>>
>>1084081
Pussy
>>
>>1084076
Either thermostat, or blend door actuator. Thermostat is always easier and cheaper to replace and check. Barring the ability to actually diagnose the problem.
>>
if i want to diy an air compressor could i use a 100lb (~24 gallon) propane tank for 150psi or less? i would be cheaper than buying a purpose built tank (albeit much larger) however i really cant find a very good source for a fuckhuge 60+ gallong one like i want. craigslist near me is absolute garbage for even broken for parts compressors and tanks.
>>
>>1077374
Car washes have drums of different sizes.

6 Gallon drums,
110L drums
Buckets with sealed lids etc.
>>
>>1078093
if you can remove the rails and have money, get them sand blasted
>>
>>1079814
I call it a "bad lighting for doing anything workstation"
>>
>>1084173
its more of a smash your head as you stand station
>>
>>1079814
Have you tried 'steel ikea bunk bed with desk'?
Also, that thing is only acceptable if living in a dorm room or one of those newfangled minihouses. Otherwise, they are a massive piece of shit.
>>
>>1076062
I'm moving into a new furnished apartment soon, and I know that some of the furniture, such as cupboards and the closet, will be wooden - of which I don't like the look at all.
I'm not allowed to paint them so I was wondering if there are any other ways to make them look more appealing/hide the wood? I was thinking of maybe cutting some cloth into the right shapes to hide it, but not sure how well that's gonna work.
>>
File: nofist.png (32KB, 802x618px) Image search: [Google]
nofist.png
32KB, 802x618px
How difficult is it to replace an electrical panel?
I just got a house and I'd like to replace the 100A one that I currently have with a 150A. I have a little experience in electronics but this is a little beyond what I'm used to.

Any useful tips for doing it or am I better off not fucking with it?
>>
>>1084326
that would be highly illegal in my Country...
>>
>>1084326
It's not that hard but it is illegal in many places. Last I heard it's between $500 and $1000 to get an electrician to do it.
>>
File: 1471306275623.jpg (438KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1471306275623.jpg
438KB, 1000x1500px
Do you guys put a rug or something thick on your bed, so the sheets underneath doesn't move sitting all day on it?
>>
>>1084335
>>1084337
Is that country Freedom land?
I'll take a picture of the box later and see if it looks doable and if there's any advice you all have
>>
>>1084146
i'm told that if it's not overheating, it's not the thermostat.
>>
photoshop question: how can I select multiple layers and apply a filter to all those layers. I'm using an old version. Photoshop CS
>>
Is there a cheap (<$20) AVR usb programmer that works? Would it be reasonable and cheaper to just make something like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/AVR-ISP-programmer/?ALLSTEPS

and then use that to program a mcu to make a more advanced, usb compatible programmer?
>>
File: 55921_2000x2000.jpg (244KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
55921_2000x2000.jpg
244KB, 2000x2000px
Alright /diy/

I'm looking to replace my lost (thrown away by client) baby.
My baby was a $100 + framing hammer that had a detachable head. Came with a smooth head. I never took it off, but the head came off with an allen wrench (hex key), that was located on the side. It looked very similar to the pic (but grey and black). I have tried googling to no avail. Also the store I bought it from (2 years ago)went out of business.

My best hope is someone on /diy/ has the same hammer I did.

If not, suggest top tier hammers pls.
>>
>>1084558
>thrown away by client
need more details
>>
>>1084561
I knew this would come.

Long story short;
I had it in a bucket with a drill, and some other tools. She was upset, and put it on the sidewalk overnight. She also isn't the client, but acts like she is.
>>
>>1084564
so "she" is your wife?

you should put something of hers on the sidewalk. That'll show her!

/diy/ solves your problems!
>>
>>1084565
lol, no.

My client is the building owner. She is the one leasing the place. She has been a pain in my ass ever since she starting moving shit in early. She didn't like being told 'no'.

I thought about putting her shit on the sidewalk, but not a good idea. I like future business.

My problem isn't revenge. My problem is I want my baby back, or at least replaced for a newer younger model.
>>
File: powerstrike-hammers.jpg (162KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
powerstrike-hammers.jpg
162KB, 800x600px
>>1084558
>>
Why is it so hard to find light bulb stands? Not a lamp, but just a simple screw on stand I can place on my desk? I have an rgb bulb and I just want a really simple stand for it.
>>
>>1084558
>>1084570
Thanks for looking, but that's not it. I should have been a little more clear, its a small hex screw on the side of the head. Maybe an 1/8 inch size screw. The handle looked exactly as the one I posted, except the colors. I've looked at the Vaughn web site but didn't find it.

Thanks again for trying anon.
>>
>>1084576
Look under Dalluge. Vaughn owns them and its their high end line.
>>
>>1084576
https://uedata.amazon.com/Vaughan-103-66-Titanium-16-Ounce-Fiberglass/dp/B00EZI5EL8
>>
>>1077955
start building incredible complicated, large pieces of art work >>1077952 build cool yard work with welder or if you have money build a large bedroom set and if you don't like it, donate it, and if you do like it use it.
>>
>>1084581
>https://uedata.amazon.com/Vaughan-103-66-Titanium-16-Ounce-Fiberglass/dp/B00EZI5EL8

You are my hero, I'm pretty sure that is it. I feel like an idiot not being able to find it. Thanks anon you are the king of the internets.
>>
>>1084568
I guess it wouldn't be worth losing future business with them if you asked her to replace it. It was her fault though. Just nickel and dime her in the future to make up for it
>>
File: radscout.jpg (29KB, 350x450px) Image search: [Google]
radscout.jpg
29KB, 350x450px
>>1076091
>>1076091
David Hahn, the "Radioactive Boyscout". And it should be important to note 3 things:
>He was 17, not 14.
>He didn't succeed in making a reactor, he just made a lot of independent trial and error progress towards it.
>He fucked himself and his environment up with chemicals and radiation in the process.
>>
>>1084584
I can't find it for sale anywhere......RIP my baby.
>>1084595
I'm pretty good with the owner, i've talked to him, he will replace it. I probably had $300 worth of tools in the bucket. I just really loved that hammer.
>>
>>1084596
No, a fusor builder.
>>
Anyone know GE's part naming conventions? Like what do the letters at the beginning of a part number stand for?
>>
>>1084617
Pretty cool for a 14 yr old but all you need is money, time, and the internet, really.
>>
>>1084522
If it's stuck open the coolant won't get up to temp. So it won't overheat, and the heater will blow cold.
>>
File: headphone usb port.jpg (198KB, 1056x792px) Image search: [Google]
headphone usb port.jpg
198KB, 1056x792px
>wireless headset not charging
>tried wiggling the connections
>tried three different usb cables
>open phones to see if the micro-usb port has broken pins or something
>no obvious damage BUT I can get them to turn on by shorting the two right-most pins (pic related) with my screwdriver.

Will a permanent jumper fix them or have some other negative side-effect?
Any other ideas on how to fix my phones?
>>
NEW THREAD:
>>1084917
>>1084917
>>1084917
>>1084917
>>1084917
>>
File: MagrittePipe.jpg (34KB, 378x264px) Image search: [Google]
MagrittePipe.jpg
34KB, 378x264px
So what is it then?
>>
>>1084824
but the temp guage reads like normal. when the vehicle is cold (at start) it reads cold, then after running a few minutes it gets up to 210 or whatever
>>
>>1085187
not a pipe:)
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.