[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CONCRETE CLOTH, CONCRETE APPLICATIONS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

so I'm wondering if you guys have either used or thought about using concrete cloth materials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHVKFCoYFc

http://store.nunainnovations.com/concrete-cloth-13-mm-thick-80m2-bulk-roll/

it seems like something right up y'alls alley out here. especially for the bunker-nuts.

ALSO WHAT COOL SHIT HAVE YOU MADE FROM CONCRETE GUYS?
>>
>>1044068
>ALSO WHAT COOL SHIT HAVE YOU MADE FROM CONCRETE GUYS?

wizard tower from concrete pipe
>>
>>1044082
oh?
>>
File: sink.jpg (4MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
sink.jpg
4MB, 2304x1728px
>>1044068
I have never before heard of this shit and it's the coolest thing ever.
You just changed my life forever.
Thank you.

I work at a place that pours concrete countertops and things.
Here's from my kitchen.
>>
>>1044123
>You just changed my life forever.
you are quite welcome.

is your head spinning with possibilities yet?
>>
>>1044128
I'm going to make floating freedom cities out of this shit.
>>
>>1044130
no doubt riddled with plastic barrels and shipping containers?
>>
>>1044132
>tfw I know shipping containers are bad building material
>still want to make homes with them

How do I cure my malady?
>>
>>1044068
They cannot be repaired, and is for temporary structures, I imagine the expected lifespan of these would be under 3-5 years, probably less

So, not a real building
>>
>>1044183
"expected lifespan greater than 10 years"

and is for an expedient structure, not a temporary one.
>>
>>1044185
Without a proper foundation, how they achieve this is questionable... perhaps they will stand up for 10+ years but I imagine it will start cracking or warping much earlier than that, but if you cover it with shit or put it underground that might be a different matter
>>
>>1044123
>I work at a place that pours concrete countertops and things.

Do they all look gross like that? I love concrete as a material, and I've considered getting into something like this myself. How old is your sink. Is that a high level of patina, or do they all look like that after a bit of use?
Can you reapply the coatings?
>>
>>1044183
There's a WWIi AA gunner training dome at an old RAF airfield near my home made of this stuff. Still fine and waterproof.

Have you not thought how concrete structures are made? The cloth is jst another kind of reinforcing like steel rebar or the fibreglass as used in modern casting.
>>
>>1045105
Not a big fan of this stuff - it's a fad that will die qute soon.
>>
>>1044169
Dont. Not all interests have to be practical.
>>
>>1044169
There is no cure, just embrace it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgjndFqqwY
>>
>>1045162
>it's a fad that will die qute soon.
>>1045161
>a WWIi AA gunner training dome at an old RAF airfield near my home made of this stuff. Still fine and waterproof.

make up your minds kiddos.
>>
>>1045475
He was talking about concrete counter tops mate. They ARE a fad. Just like avocado green fibreglass and starburst laminates was.
>>
>>1044082
we want pictures
>>
>>1045489
oh, they seem practical for chem-labs and worktops with aggressive chemicals...

or is that not the case?
>>
>>1045489
>They ARE a fad
how so? what makes it worse than tile or vinyl?
>>
>>1044123
That looks third world as fuck, and I'm a third world inhabitant.
>>
>>1045495
he's just retarded
quit responding

concrete countertops have been around for decades
they aren't going anywhere
done properly (granted, there are countless terrible examples out there, and if that's all you've see, of course you're going to have a terrible opinion) they are beautiful and will last forever
infinitely superior to granites and laminates and so much cooler

for a lab, it really depends on the chemicals
in some cases, concrete might indeed be a perfect option
other places you'll want metals or epoxies
try to spill less
>>
>>1045502
Go to some dictionary site and look up what the word 'fad' means. It has nothing to do with being better or worse. It's a STYLE. Like all styles, it will soon be OUT of style.
>>
File: bar.jpg (4MB, 1618x2618px)
bar.jpg
4MB, 1618x2618px
I realize that nothing I post will ever be persuasive to the retards in this thread, but you should know that the shit you're spewing is simply wrong and dumb.
Concrete is timeless.
>>
>>1044123
Looks like shit, but that's probably just the weathering from all the water. I've seen a youtube by some anon here on /diy/ about making a concrete coffee table that looks pretty decent.
>>
>>1045554
This is fantastic. I've been toying with the idea of concrete countertops with glass in them for a while, this looks perfect.
>>
File: 101022d[1].jpg (63KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
101022d[1].jpg
63KB, 639x480px
>>1045554
Brick and wood are pretty timeless too. I'm sure this kitchen was where all the hip kids used to hang out back in 1968 but I wouldn't say its aged well.
>>
>>1045495
Acids eat concrete. I know from some chemistry I did. Parents were not too happy.
>>
>>1045554
What does this shit cost?
>>
>>1045607
We charge $68 a square foot, including install.
Some end up more or less depending on how complex or easy the molds are to make.
>>
>>1045495
Actually, soapstone is the ideal countertop material for chem labs, there's very few things that'll bother it. Heat, chemicals, you name it, it'll shrug it right off.
>>
Personally would like some kind of foundation, but who knows what kind of tensile strength it has.

Are these sheets only come impregnated from the factory, or is their a good /diy/ option?
>>
>>1045554
More like terrazzo is timeless
>>
>>1045524
Precisely. There will always be someone who wants it but it will cycle through being popular and then not.

I hate gray concrete benchtops, sinks etc but I'm fine with coloured polished concrete, terrazzo and other inclusion types. Just a personal preference.

Concrete has disadvantages as well not least of which even weak acids can fuck with the finish and it's not particularly hard.
>>
File: concrete-canvas-3-in-a-row[1].jpg (30KB, 650x374px) Image search: [Google]
concrete-canvas-3-in-a-row[1].jpg
30KB, 650x374px
>>
File: 1471237952955.jpg (95KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471237952955.jpg
95KB, 720x960px
>>1044068
I'm currently saving for fiberglass and silicone to make large concrete dicks
>>
>>1046004
any particular reason?

or do you simply desire to be a cock-farmer of legend?
>>
>>1046009
Pretty much that. And the fact that all of this mold making science has future aplications.

HOLY SHIT OP.

i just realised. This stuff will be perfect for the tunnel to my garage. Been raking my brain for a year trying tk find a cheap solution to the walls and roof. Thanks bro.
>>
>>1046014
>a cheap solution
check your prices first man, no idea what it costs....
>>
>>1044123

That's Soviet tier dude.

Even the cheapest steel sink you could get would look miles better.
>>
Now that we've established that concrete cloth is good, we need to work on how the fuck to /diy/ it
>>
>>1046827
the clue's in the name

bentonite cloth
>>
>>1044169
>>tfw I know shipping containers are bad building material
>>still want to make homes with them
>How do I cure my malady?

You fucking study the Sea Box site (for example) and learn welding and fabrication. You do NOT try to invent any stupid new revolutionary dumb ideas until grounded in the basics AND have actually built something with containers. They are not for conventional homes, but they are great for other things.

Build a shop from a couple of 40-foot High Cubes for starters. You don't want short standard height boxes for construction.
>>
Really makes you think
>>
>>1046044

>That's Soviet tier dude.

That's the appeal.
>>
File: ClubOn 02 website.jpg (192KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
ClubOn 02 website.jpg
192KB, 600x400px
>>1045554
Do you work with fibre glass? Like in light concrete?
>>
>>1044123
Non-gfci outlet tsk tsk
>>
>>1051491
>Non-gfci outlet tsk tsk
You only need one on a circuit. If done right it can protect all the other outlets connected to it.
>>
>>1044068
Is this shit really strong enough to bury?
>>
>>1045505
How are they superior to granite, other than expense/ease of installation?
>>
>>1045611
$6800 for 10' x 10' is outrageous. Carbon fiber would be cheaper.
>>
>>1050254
We have done some GFRC, but never fiberoptics (if that's what that picture shows and what you are asking).

>>1052933
I like how we can do big non rectangular shapes and three dimensional pieces without seams, all perfectly custom fit and designed for the space it is going in.
It is made locally from local ingredients.
It is not a mass produced product you can just go buy at home depot, it is processive - We hand craft functional works of art.
If you don't get it, that's fine - Go ahead and get your dumb tacky chinese rock.

I also wouldn't say that installation is any easier - Moving oddly shaped 500 lb slabs through doors and up flights of stairs without damaging them, the surrounding walls, or yourself, is no easy task, no matter what they're made of. Not to mention, granite today is often just a thin veneer glued to a piece of plywood - Much easier to deal with.

>>1052936
We actually put carbon fiber in ours instead of rebar.
Really, depends on where you live.
Here, that's on the low side of average for granite - But when we've worked in the bay area, if you don't charge at least three times that, people think something is wrong.

Keep in mind too that your typical kitchen counter space is going to be much less than 100 square feet.
>>
>>1053018
what was the largest/most complicated project you've done?
>>
>>1045585
The problem with that is the grout is dark and so is the wood. One or the other needs to give.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1044123

I love polished concrete. Pik related is my first project. A simple hearth for my wood burner. Turned out a bit shit desu and has been battered over the years.

Still I've learnt a bit since then and Plan to do a bath surround over the next few months.
>>
>>1059320
>Turned out a bit shit
doesn't look so bad.

>wood burner
is that like, a charcol maker or something?
>>
>>1045161

no.... the cloth holds dry concrete. you put it over something and spray with water. the cloth is just a delivery system. what the hell do you think cloth would do for concrete...
>>
>>1059822
you don't understand how fiber-reinforcing works do you?

there are more things to reinforce concrete with than just rebar and pallets
>>
>>1059822
It's both the delivery mechanism and the tensile reinforcement.
>>
>>1045554
Think that looks way nicer than the granite everyone has been doing for the past 10 years.
>>
>>1062091
Are you kidding me? It looks like an elementary school's linoleum floor.
>>
>>1059811

no just a stove or heater that uses wood as fuel.

the picture does not do it (in)justice. i made the edge too sharp which had lead to a lot of small chips. I also expected a far more grey look, i have since remedied this by using small amounts of black pigment in the mix.
>>
File: countertop.jpg (2MB, 2189x3283px) Image search: [Google]
countertop.jpg
2MB, 2189x3283px
>>1045554
What did you seal that countertop with and how is it holding up?

I made basically the exact same thing except I used stucco rocks and glass, and I am not very happy with the sealer I used (Zearus Zera Tuf - it's a urethane based product). It's fucking peeling up on a bunch of the glass.
>>
>>1069741
>>
>>1069741

I don't understand why people make things like this. It looks like 30yo old worn out bullshit from day 1.
>>
>>1069741
ameripolish sr2 is the bees knees
disclaimer: i use it for flooring not countertops
>>
File: IMG_2866.jpg (497KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2866.jpg
497KB, 1600x1200px
Question for the concrete guys itt:
What would you recommend as a sealer for a fireplace hearth and mantle?
I'm looking for a darker wet look if that's possible
>>
>>1074653
semen
>>
File: images.png (5KB, 246x205px)
images.png
5KB, 246x205px
>>1074797
>>
>>1069741
>>1074653
There are no good sealers - We're always changing what we use and have yet to find the one.
If you want it to be impervious to staining, you have to coat it in some kind of topical which totally defeats the purpose and aesthetic of concrete - They feel and look terrible, they'll yellow and peal like you've said.
Look for things called penetrating sealers and/or surface densifiers.
Lithium based shit.
Consider waxing regularly.
You can also intentionally prestain them with baby oil or something.
The best sealer might be time. Concrete continues to harden as it ages - 5 year old concrete is noticeably more solid/dense/impervious than 5 week old concrete. Really baby it for the first year or two.
Would also suggest polishing to a higher grit.
>>
>>1074797
your mother already has a monopoly on all of the semen in my area

>>1074804
I'm not against topical. I've used penetrating (Cheng) in the kitchen and I really like how it retains the natural look. I have my doubts it withstands the abuse/soot/heat of a fireplace . I feel like waxes would melt. Densifiers seem to be the golden ticket.
>>
>>1074804
Anon, have you guys done any cosmetic fiber optic lit concrete blocks/tiles? I've been excited to try some since I saw a fiber optic bundle on bigclive on youtube.
>>
>>1074863
>>
>>1076094
>>1070692
why does this keep happening?
there's been like 5 more, but they were deleted
stop it
>>
>>1063799
That's actually asbestos tile.
>>
>>1050254

That seems almost impossible to do by hand.

At that density you would need to stick 100s of thousands of fibres in the mold.
>>
>>1074653
that looks really cheesy
>>
>>1074863
We've never done fiber optics.
Seems like way too much work to be worth it, unless you were specifically set up for it.
>>
>>1076890
Arr you retarded?
>>
This has gotten me really REALLY hard. The possibilities... Oh god the possibilities!
Problem is... I can't seem to find any here in Sweden. Do any of you concrete lurkers know?
>>
>>1076911
>>
>>1078465
seriously dude, what is your problem
stop doing this
sage
>>>/b/
kill yourself
>>
>>1078493
dude, cool your shit.

I'm just bumping the thread
>>
>>1078465
>>1078493
>>1078495
And my quest for finding this shit to build my fallos tower will never be answered..
>>
>>1078574
the guys at the link in the OP sell it, they don't export?
>>
>>1078684
sounds like their target customers are mostly military, so they might not have to bother.
>>
>>1079589
The cost is astronomic. There are no middlemen that sell it to consumers. I bet it's like $50,000 for that tiny shelter in the OP.

The speed and ease of use is worth it for military, not so much for normal people.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.