[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 42

File: help.jpg (340KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
340KB, 3888x2592px
I will start with air compressor.
What is the name of the connector needed of picture related?
>>
>>1028507
They are just fittings or couplers
Come in a ton of different sizes
>>
>>1028507
Your girlfriend ass
>>
>>1028509
Any measures I can take or drawings that existings to determine which ones they are and what I need?
>>
>>1028507
PCL XF or ISO B12, probably 1/2BSP but you are a shit photographer, out of focus and nothing for scale
>>
>>1028529
thread pitch and major diameter and a much better photo of the screw fitting on the compressor, that shit does not look normal. also the compressor's dataplate and what it's being used in/on.

ID, OD and length of quick connector and any words stamped on the hose.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-26-14-41-44.png (182KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-26-14-41-44.png
182KB, 540x960px
>>
File: helpz.jpg (128KB, 2264x976px) Image search: [Google]
helpz.jpg
128KB, 2264x976px
>>1028530
shit photographer for sure and my cam is not helping either
>>1028533
there is no labeling existing on it excluding on the pump itself.
>>1028536
looks like a milton m-style. also went through the website of miltonindustries and saw it should be:
female national pipe with an external thread but I never saw something like this existing regardless if 1/4 or 1/8 inch.
>>
Remove, take to store, see what fits
>>
I have no prior experience with making tech except basic soldering, and I want an audio adapter like so:
2xRCA-in + 3,5mm-in > switch + volume knob > 6,35mm-out

Would I be able to learn how to make this in ~ a week, assuming I'm not completely technologically impaired?

I'll probably try to learn either way, but I just want to know what I'm in for.
>>
File: helpzz.jpg (1MB, 4523x4609px) Image search: [Google]
helpzz.jpg
1MB, 4523x4609px
>>1028562
if you can solder should be no issue. Your case should however be steel (audio interference).
You will have channel1, channel2, and ground. So volume knob will be a potentiometer.

>>1028559
I would if I could but next store takes ages.
picture related for more info.
>>
>>1028542
They're pretty standard. I think all those ones in the Google pic I posted are 3/8 npt. Both male and female are there. Never found a tool that didn't use one or the other.

>>1028564
2, 3, and 4 are all displayed in the search.

Look for a tubing to to 3/8 male npt and then get a 3 that's meant for an air hose.

Like this
http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.com/stainless_Pipe_NPT_Connect_p/mc.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Without knowing you're tubing size I can't select it for you.

Do you have a pressure regulator on the compressor? Those come with tubing connections sometimes. If you dont, that's your problem.
>>
>>1028660
VoilĂ ! What I was looking for - brilliant!
Pressure regulator not but it has a tank with an over pressure valve.

In case I do not fail with my upcoming projects I will post it here.
>>
>>1028562
>>1028564
Keep in mind that just using a potentiometer as passive volume control might lead to shit quality and in any case lower the output volume even if cranked up full. Read a little into opamps if you want better gain control. Use a logarithmic pot, not a linear one.
Other than that, should be easy enough. The 3.5mm soldering might be a bit fiddly if you are hamfisted like me.
>>
Guys i wanna make /diy/ acoustic foam panels and bass traps , i have found ways of doing bass traps but no useful tips on what to use as an alternative material for it
>>
>>1028559
This. Any auto store will have.
>>
File: doublespiral.png (12KB, 159x165px) Image search: [Google]
doublespiral.png
12KB, 159x165px
How would you go to wind a 10 mm diameter double spiral like pic related out of a 0,1mm nickel wire?
>>
File: Tableh.png (212KB, 442x443px) Image search: [Google]
Tableh.png
212KB, 442x443px
How to join table and finish like this pic
>>
how do i pick a soldering iron (what power/functionality)

like for small wires (like USB cables or thinner), LEDs, maybe something on a PCB
>>
>>1029589
Id say you go with a generic noname brand, and get to know your needs, so for the second time you can pick what fits you the best.

My first iron cost something like 10usd. It was 230V/80W and i used it for 5 years straight, i even dead-bug soldered BGA with it. The tip was a sharpened nail and it worked fine.
>>
>>1029585
Could do it pretty easy with pocket holes
>>
File: fuck me.png (30KB, 437x454px) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.png
30KB, 437x454px
How much would a 4 ft length, 1-inch diameter solid aluminum hex bar bend from someone standing in the middle of it?
>>
>>1029597
>230V/80W
had a cheap one before but it was only like 30W or something and it couldn't heat up for shit
>>
>>1029609
You expect us to do calculus without even specifying the person's weight?
>>
>>1029634
i mean the variance on the average persons weight is fairly low, 150-200 would have been a fair guess by any person

maybe i should have just asked what the important specification/property of the material is used to calculate that sort of thing
>>
>>1029665
Elastic Modulus

You need a basic knowledge in structures.
>>
>>1029671
>You need a basic knowledge in structures.
eh ill figure it out, now that i at least know what property to care about

thanks
>>
>>1029674
I don't remember know, but there was a sheet with the calcule of each common shape.
You first calcule the resistant modulus (i belive in english was called like that) and then apply the Elastic Modulus value of the material.
Aluminum was something about 70GPa.
That's all what i remeber of the Structure course that i took a few years ago.
Berkley and MIT used to give a free online course with all those topics on edx org but aren't there anymore.
>>
>>1029679

Coursera has some courses in structures here and there.
>>
File: zuckerberg-home-wall-575x432.jpg (83KB, 575x432px) Image search: [Google]
zuckerberg-home-wall-575x432.jpg
83KB, 575x432px
I have a back patio with a fence that I want to make more private. I can't think of the name to search properly, but something to weave between the fence posts would be ideal. Thank you in advance.
>>
>>1029900
Thatch/hazel fence
>>
File: 51tjcUKTGmL._SY300_.jpg (45KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
51tjcUKTGmL._SY300_.jpg
45KB, 640x360px
How would I clean a rusty/dirty/moist electrical plug? Isoprop, vinegar, something else?

Interiour of my car was a bit flooded, one electrical part stops working occasionally, I suspect it's the plug that was affected by water.

Replacing the whole wire or device is not an option / quite expensive.
>>
>>1029929
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Is there a way to do this without having to go hunting for a couple hundred sticks?
>>
>>1029946
Try electro contact cleaner, something like this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/578&ved=0ahUKEwjDlufbn5rOAhUh8IMKHfFCBHsQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNGX-8bSJkqn0Q0l6TqIE1y0Ea79aw&sig2=OZBD-4jypNi4lqpLezcICQ

Be warned, some types can damage plastics.
>>
>>1030157
Thanks, I will take a look
>>
Trying to make canvass micarta. Epoxy is too thick for absorption, it's like a paste. Is it wise to thin it with reducer or will it compromise strength/durability?
How much reducer do I use in proportion to epoxy?
>>
>>1029609
easy problem, man was that class hard.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-30-16-31-38.png (444KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-30-16-31-38.png
444KB, 1440x2560px
What is the best way to cut an inside right angle on a sheet of wood?

I've been using a table saw and circular saw for other pieces but I'm worried about over cutting. Should I cut with the circular saw then finish with a jig saw?
>>
>>1030506
Depends on what tools you have and how nice it needs to be. Finishing with a jigsaw (with a fence) should work. Alternately, you can drill a hole at the corner, cut to the hole, then use a chisel for a sharp corner. There are other kinds of saw that can cut a sharp corner. Is this for a desk or something? Does the corner have to be sharp?
>>
>>1029665
>150-200
For the setup given, that range is about where the bar will fold in half and fall of the end supports, depending on the alloy and heat treatment. Relevant properties are section modulus (elastic and plastic), yield strength, ultimate strength, modulus of elasticity, and elongation at rupture. Section modulus and yield strength will tell you if the bar will permanently deform from the weight, which is generally a no-no for human-supporting structures.
>>
>>1030509
It's for a cat tower so I'd like it to be fairly clean but I think finishing with the jigsaw with fence will work for me.
Thanks!
>>
What are those drop down cabinets called.
>>
>>1030506
Jigsaw with a push-cut blade would be the best thing if you need 90deg corners on X,Y,and Z. If its just a rough cut plywood for a roof, crank your sawblade all the way up(table) or down(handsaw) so you get less runoff.
>>
File: p.jpg (113KB, 750x560px) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
113KB, 750x560px
Is there a special tool for this? It should be a shimano hub. I'm not scared of the local bike shops but i must be able to do this myself at some point.
The other side is a standard Hex wrench.
>>
>>1031077

Probably. Looks like its designed to require a specialized spline drive socket. Might be a bitch to find depending where you are.

The only other option you would have is to clamp some vice grips on it, however you'll fuck the ever loving shit out of the splines and probably have to replace it.
>>
if a pipe takes a 45* angle then only half the distance past the bend accounts for distance, correct? i know im wording it all retarded so here is a picture:
if a length of pipe is 20 inches, and a 45* bend is made right down the middle, the straight half adds the full value of 10 to the total length, but the half after the bend only adds 5 inches to the total length, correct?
>>
>>1031095
Pythagorean theorem.
>>
>>1031077
Have you Google image searched "Shimano hub wrench" "Shimano hub removal" "Shimano cone spanner" and/or asked on bicycle forums?

I don't recognize which tool that takes because I'm long out of the bicycle world.

All the tools are available online. Not much need for a local shop so OP is wise to tackle it himself.
>>
>>1031095
If you are bending pipe, cut oversize, bend, then trim to distance. Not all bending goes ideally.

You can find pipe and conduit bending calculators online, but leave a bit extra for trimming/threading/fitting.
>>
File: diy.png (5KB, 690x413px) Image search: [Google]
diy.png
5KB, 690x413px
Hey /diy/,
What's the best way to mount a pullup bar up the roof ? pic related
>>
>>1028507
OK, I'll post one helpless one.

I've got a 1" thick rod of ABS and I need to file it down a bit and add a groove in the middle. I have only a drill, assorted bits, a couple of files and a couple of sandpaper sheets. How can I make it work? Is there a fast way to do it?

Thanks, guys.
>>
>>1031347
Would most likely depend on the roof.

If it were my choice, I'd screw it onto some beams that hold the roof.
>>
File: veni_vidi_sensi.jpg (26KB, 480x574px) Image search: [Google]
veni_vidi_sensi.jpg
26KB, 480x574px
How do I make her come back
>>
File: 20160802_023549.jpg (2MB, 1153x2681px) Image search: [Google]
20160802_023549.jpg
2MB, 1153x2681px
What went wrong with this floor?

I can't tell you much because this was taken at work and there are confidentiality issues, but this is a floor collapse in a restaurant. It doesn't appear that the concrete floor had any wire or rear in it at all and just snapped over the steel beam.
>>
>>1031730
Concrete is a great material for compression loads but very poor for expansion loads such as angular torsion. This is why you have rebars etc. in there.

I had a house built and the contractor wanted to omit steel mesh in the main slab in favour of fibre glass strands mixed in. I refused.

5 years later and my slab is perfect. The other houses in the street by the same contractor are having remedial work done because of cracking issues and the contractor has gone back to mesh reinforcing.

tl;dr no rebar means the concrete will crack apart. That builder should be sued into the ground.
>>
>>1031750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZcPTp51Zk
>>
Shemale
>>
>>1031750

I agree. Three women were working there when it went. They fell in the hole and four deep fat fryers full of hot oil came right in on top of them. Full body 2nd and 3rd degree burns all around. Parts of them just melted off.
>>
File: 1467964693222.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1467964693222.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>1031832

http://m.ktre.com/ktre/db/330602/content/StNnEILH

Oh, fuck.
>>
>>1029396
get something flexible that is roughly the thickness of the space between the wires that you want, bend the wire over one edge, roll it up wrapping the wire as you go with the edge you bent the wire over in the center of the roll...
>>
>>1031077
most of the shimano stuff, and most bike stuff in general takes weird specialized sockets... ask your local bike shop, they probably sell them, find the one you need, then search for online pricing...

note beware super cheap amazon overseas suppliers, last time I tried one I ended up with a 17 (I think) spline socket where the difference in width of splines was noticeable by naked eye (should all be even)
>>
>>1031551
get off 4 chan and go find her. show her she's more important to you than the interwebs.

also find the clitoris
>>
>>1031832
That's pretty hot.
No pun intended
>>
File: 8pWCKNj.jpg (37KB, 678x678px) Image search: [Google]
8pWCKNj.jpg
37KB, 678x678px
>>1029609
first find the area moment of inertia for the beams cross section, in^4
then find the elastic mod of that grade of aluminum, in psi
then find the equation for deflection of a center loaded simply supported beam, something like d = fl/48ei where d = deflection f = force from weight of person l = length of beam i = area moment e = elastic mod
cant remember the specifics off the top of my head but thats the basis
>>1031095
it adds sqrt(2)/2, so a bit over half. 10 inches would become 7
>>1031437
I would set the rod up in the drill chuck like a ghetto lathe and turn it down that way, youll get faster and more even results than any other way. look up "drill lathe" on youtube, ive seen some vids of russians doing it
>>1031551
i wish i knew breh
>>
File: 24219746.jpg (119KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
24219746.jpg
119KB, 400x400px
I have a power tool I'm considering replacing the batteries on and I have some questions: (I'm going to use simple numbers for ease of explanation)
My 12v drill is powered by four 3 volt 1 amp hour batteries in series, so total output is 12 volts 1 amp hour. Let's say I find some batteries that do 6 volts 1 amp hour and I can fit 4 in the same pack because they're equal size.
>Is it possible to have them in a hybrid parallel/series configuration where 2 are in series and 2 are in parallel?
>Would this make the total output 12 volts 2 amp hours, effectively doubling run time?
>Would this damage the tool at all?
>Would I be able to use the same charger (assuming they're the same type of battery)?
>>
>>1032339
> Is it possible to have them in a hybrid parallel/series configuration where 2 are in series and 2 are in parallel?
Maybe.
> Would this make the total output 12 volts 2 amp hours, effectively doubling run time?
Yes.
> Would this damage the tool at all?
No.
> Would I be able to use the same charger (assuming they're the same type of battery)?
Maybe.

The main issue with parallel connection is that the batteries need to be equally charged when you first connect them. Otherwise the more-charged battery will charge the less-charged battery, and this will be unregulated.

Also: it won't work with a smart charger (one which communicates with a microchip embedded in the battery to monitor charging status), which are fairly common for Li-Po batteries (this is necessary for safe fast-charging). Or with battery packs which have built-in electronics.
>>
>>1032417
Should have mentioned that battery chemistry would be the same (nicad, so no circuitry) and I'm 99% sure it's a dumb charger considering it doesn't even have auto shut off. So basically the only variable is that they all be the same level of charge? If so that's fine because I can make sure they're all fully charged before I hook them up
>>
I'm looking to make some carbide insert tools for my wood lathe. I made a couple where I just ground it down freehand with a rotary tool and file, but it ends up pretty ugly. What's my best option to get a good clean and even cut? I'm using a relatively soft steel. If I do most of the material removal with the rotary tool/file, can I finish with a router and carbide bit? Or would tossing an end mill in my drill press work okay if I use high speeds, cutting oil, and I feed it slowly?

>>1032424
You don't just need to worry about them being the same charge, you need to worry if some cells are more worn out than others. If some are more worn out, they'll drain faster than others, and then they're no longer the same charge. Other than that, yeah, should be fine, assuming there isn't something dumb where they're actually supposed to charge slower than your old battery.
>>
>>1028507
Quick release fitting. BN17 iso standard?
>>
>>1032817
Hss (high speed steel) is fine for wood.
Tungsten carbide is for metal.
>>
File: easywoodtools_c.jpg (93KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
easywoodtools_c.jpg
93KB, 800x500px
>>1032869
Carbide isn't limited to just metal, it's just that there isn't usually a reason to bother with it unless you're doing metal. I like that I don't have to sharpen as often with the carbide, and can just rotate/replace the insert when I do need a fresh edge, and if I want to sharpen it, it takes about 10 seconds on a diamond sharpener. There are a few lines of carbide insert lathe tools available commercially, I just don't want to pay $100 for each tool and $20 for each cutter when I can make one for $10 and replace the cutter for $5.
>>
>>1032817
>What's my best option to get a good clean and even cut?
Expansion wheel or belt sander. But if you don't have those, draw file with a mill file..
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
What is this goldish component? The one that says 104c
>>
>>1033032
PTC (resettable) fuse.
>>
>>1033037
What do the markings indicate?
>>
>>1033045
Depends on maker. It looks like Bourns' component, in which case the two first digits would indicate the part type (MF-MSMF010, 300mA) and 4C would be the date code.
But there's no guarantees that it's Bourns' fuse.
>>
Don't know if its stupid or not but I have a large pile of incense ash I'm saving up because i'm a compulsive hoarder. I want to solidify this shit into a candle or chalk as its still quite scented. Is it as simple as just melting some wax and mixing it in to let it cool or do you have to use some other stuff? thinking of giving it to my gf since she's really into candles and general scented stuff. Make the candle in her favourite colour too.
>>
File: 12V_AD5951.jpg (79KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
12V_AD5951.jpg
79KB, 1000x1000px
>>1028507
About air compressors, I found this and I wanted to use it at home since it's small and comfy to move around (for cleaning corners and inside my pc), I've seen on amazon there're 220V to 12V converters but none of them has any reviews. Even though they're pretty cheap, I'd still rather avoid an house-fire if I can, does anyone know if these adapters are reliable?

This is an example of adapter I've seen on amazon by the way:
https://www.amazon.com/Noviame-110V-220V-Converter-Household-Cigarette/dp/B01DY0G84O/
>>
>>1033189
The use of ash in tinctures has a name. You could perhaps ash>tincture>boil with wax>pour into mould
>>
>>1033533
If I had the name I could do some proper research. Any idea how to go about this stuff? Or rather something specific so I don't spend a day googling a million things that don't apply until I hit something that I might be able to use.
>>
>>1033547
Spagyrics

Good luck with not using Google. I hope you enjoy alchemical tomes acquired at great personal expense!
>>
Question from idle curiosity, how effective is a modern stab-proof vest compared to a well made shirt of chain mail? Obviously the modern armour is lighter and more comfortable, but how would the protection compare if used in a medieval battle?
>>
>>1033551
Oh no, that's not what I meant, just a lead on something so I don't google a million variations of "Incense ash tincture wat do". That said, i'd fucking LOVE a collection of them alchemical tomes! Would be awesome to one day have a small library full of esoteric and cool shit like that.

Thanks a bunch on the name, I'll get to looking.
>>
File: image.jpg (288KB, 630x716px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
288KB, 630x716px
So I'm designing a RC airship, and I'm hoping to have a envelope that is about 3 cubic feet.

Currently, I'm considering using either hot air or methane as my lifting gas, but here lies my delima: I need pure or close to pure methane for it to work, and for hot air I have very limited options for heating.
I'm not entirely sure where to find pure methane, so I think I'll use hot air instead.
In total, either of these options give me about 200g of bouyancy to wirk with.
I could easily create a methylated spirits burner to heat the air, but I wouldn't have much bouyancy control, or I could make a small gas burner and use a solenoid valve. The problem is, the lightest gas canister I can find is for camp stoves and weighs 250 grams.
>>
>>1033873
Sorry, I forgot to state my stupid question:
Are there any small isobutane canisters weighing about 50g, or do I need to use a larger envelope or otherwise redesign?
>>
I got a Chinese AC-to-DC 12V 600mA adapter in my parts bin, is that enough to run 5.76 Watts LED strip?
>>
>>1033879
>12*0.6=7.2
>7.2>5.76

Yes
>>
>>1033873
Just attach a balloon to your smartphone drone. It'll improve your batter life by75%
>>
>>1033884
Ha ha very funny

What I'm looking to do is RC model making, and I'm a fan of Zeppelins.
I first got the idea thinking of those Chinese sky lanterns.

I probably will wind up using some quad opter parts for it, like a pair of 8045 props and a small quadcopter battery.

I'll probably have to code up a custom flight controller though.
>>
>>1032286

It's pretty awful. You can see the story on the daily mail site.
>>
>>1033899
Okay, so I foung a smaller 30g canister for model steam engines online, now I have to see if I can get a reasonable flight time with only 12 grams of fuel, or even keep the air warm with it.

It's somewhat tempting to make it much larger, like 11 ft bow to aft (which gives me loads of lift for an actual steam engine, but I'd rather not go so large for a first build
>>
File: jpg.jpg (56KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
56KB, 700x700px
What's the best material cutout for a flat board for my bed? Right now I stack two mattresses and I want something more firm.

I weigh less than 200 lbs and easily want to support at least another body on a single size bed. Pic related is my bed frame.
>>
File: 800.jpg (24KB, 290x449px) Image search: [Google]
800.jpg
24KB, 290x449px
Alright, I've got a stupid one and it has be baffled. I ordered this air duster online along with another one with the top dusting accessory. I figured I didn't need two full set air sprays since I could just take the top shit off and mount it on the second can. But there's a kind of like a straw that should go through the opening and it's missing on pic related.

Is there anything I can do?
>>
File: flat,800x800,070,f.jpg (110KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,070,f.jpg
110KB, 800x800px
I guess my question could belong here.

I would like to get some information about programming.
My goal is to create a simple taxi program with blank screen and letters.
The thing is that I need a real-time data transferring.
The dispatch recieves a call and types an adress to a computer. The driver recieves adress to an android smartphone. Both gadgets have an internet connection but are not connected to the same network.
Is it possible to code a program like that or do I need a server?
>>
>>1034282
Look up email to sms gateways.

You'll need to know what service provider your drivers use.
>>
>>1028512
Now now,child.You should stfu and read on.You will need to know the answer to op's question one when you have to inflate the only woman youll ever fuck.
>>
Milton is common.Pep boys auto zone etc. have them.keep in mind the size refers to the female end(the end you snap onto pic related)for both fittings.pipe/hose measures can be strange.pic related is probably 1/4 but possibly 3/8.get both.theyre cheap.return wrong one.
>>
>>1034282
>Is it possible to code a program like that or do I need a server?
if by server you mean a rented web host, not necessarily
the dispatcher's computer can act as a server
>>
File: 1469222448294.jpg (49KB, 616x699px) Image search: [Google]
1469222448294.jpg
49KB, 616x699px
I'm one of the guys who picks up the shit on the side of the road and takes it home and tries to fix it.
Picked up a Sony kds-55a2000. The TV won't turn on. The red light flashes 4 times. Apparently this means that a fan is not working. I took the back off and the only fan I see is working fine.
I don't know what to do. Can't find any manuals for the tv. Curse these online forums.
>>
>>1034448
Check for any possible shorts or components running out of spec.
>>
>>1033032
I can't say with full certainty but I thinks that's a crystal clock.
>>
I want to teach myself to weld, since even basic welding courses around here start at about €700. I'm thinking of getting a cheap gasless MIG setup. Is this a stupid plan, and if so, what are the particular reasons?
>>
>>1034835
There are 2 types of welders. Those that can weld really good, and those who can grind really good. Become good at one.
If your welds are connective, but sloppy, learn to grind. If your welds are connective and neat looking, congrats.

But yes, best way to learn to weld is to weld.
>>
What AWG is best for small LED projects?
I can get like 60ft of 22 AWG off aliexpress for $5 but I want to make sure I'm not going to underpower/overpower my LED's.
>>
File: vesa-adaptor.png (2KB, 493x171px) Image search: [Google]
vesa-adaptor.png
2KB, 493x171px
is there a name for a piece of metal with this cross-section, I'm trying to build a vesa mount for a monitor i have that isnt vesa mountable
>>
>>1034835

>>1034932
Wire gauge depends on amperage and length. "Small LED projects" doesn't really tell us anything relevant. Find the amperage draw, the length of wire involved, and look it up in a wiring chart. And using a larger-than-necessary wire won't "overpower" LEDs.
>>
>>1034835
"Gasless MIG" is actually gasless flux-core, which is situational at best. It's suitable for rough work outside, but a cheap machine isn't likely to do a good job anyway. If you want a cheap-but-good welding machine, stick is your best option, since it's more tolerant of loose parameters than other processes. And the price of a garbage-tier flux-core machine should get you at least a reasonably serviceable stick welder.
>>
>>1032869
>>1032869
Work with a wood with a high silica content... Holy shit its pretty much GG for hss tools. Unless you like sharpening every 10 minutes.
>>
I vesa mounted my non-vesa mountable monitor by screwing an adaptor into the casing. Will 4 M5 bolts into the case hold (it's about 2-3 mm thick), or is the plastic too weak? More generally, what is the strength of moulded plastic like?
>>
>>1034081

why don't you use helium? It's easy to get in the quantities you'd need
>>
My office chair smells like death. How should i go about cleaning it? Damp cloth with some sort of cleaning solution?
>>
>>1035682
I could, but I kinda like the fact that butane is much cheaper than helium.

I also realize that means I have to make the envelope bigger, but I think I can handle that.

Ideally, it will be about half the size of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqexB7-d3Zw
>>
Is there a general rule of thumb for voltage on small electronics?

I'm not much with this kind of stuff so at least half of this'll probably sound retarded. Anyway I have this thing that needs 2 AA batteries but sucks them dry faster than I can charge new ones, so I want to try and feed it normally. Looked through my box of old chargers and such but I don't seem to have anything for 3 volts. Found one with 4 though, would that be okay or kill the whole thing immediately?

More ideally, would 5 be fine? If I could run this off a usb that'd be wonderful.
>>
>>1035674
Yeah, the kind of plastic used for your monitor is probably too weak to hold a thread under that load. Can you take it apart and fit a metal bracket behind the plastic?
>>
>>1035744
Febreze
>>
>>1035881
> I have this thing that needs 2 AA batteries but sucks them dry faster than I can charge new ones,
Are you trying to use rechargeable batteries with something intended for use with primary cells? Most rechargeable cells are 1.2V, primary cells are 1.5V. So if it wants 3V, 2.4V (i.e. 2 rechargeable cells) probably isn't going to cut it, and the device will shut off as soon as the batteries drop below 95% charge.

> I don't seem to have anything for 3 volts. Found one with 4 though, would that be okay or kill the whole thing immediately?
It depends upon what's between the batteries and the electronics. There are several plausible options; some will tolerate 4V, some won't.
>>
>>1036007
>Are you trying to use rechargeable batteries with something intended for use with primary cells?
It's advertised to last 6 hours on a set of AAs, so it would surprise me if they assumed people would use non-rechargeables

But I suppose it's possible. Thanks for explaining regardless, I didn't know there was such a thing as primary batteries. Won't take the risk with the 4V then I guess, maybe I'll find a 3V at some point.
>>
>>1036023
what kind of device are we talking about here? in my experience 4 volt is perfectly fine on electronics rated for 3V.
there is however another problem you might run into using some random adapter, which is the output current not being high enough to power the appliance. a lot of charger only supply like half an amp, which is not enough for high drain devices.
>>
>>1035893
No, i don't know how to take it apart, that was my first idea. Right now it has 4 bolts in it in a diamond pattern, and it seems to be holding ok. I bought some liquid nails ultra strength to improve the bond, but i would prefer not to use it. An option I am currently considering is just adding a bunch more bolts. So far the threads haven't failed under moderate use, ie pulling on the monitor to reposition the stand
>>
>>1036101
dummy, why don't you make something like pic related out of metal to hold your tv from the underside. that way there is no strain on the plastic shell.
>>
>>1036114
Because that's ugly, and it would have to have a span of about 22 inches, since the monitor is in portrait orientation, plus I would not be able to turn it on its side without the monitor falling out. It might also be too heavy for the arm to hold up, and making that would be a lot more difficult then bending a piece of bracket metal, and drilling then tapping 4 holes in a plastic monitor
>>
>>1036116
true. well, if you don't care about how the backside of your monitor looks like you could glue some strong, thick pieces of plastic to it and attach the mount to those. the shell of the monitor itself is probably pretty thin and could very possibly crack due too all the holes and strain.
>>
>>1036125
The shell of the monitor was surprisingly thick, ~3 mm even. I made sure to not do the bolts up too tight, so the shell and bolts are under shear stress, and their isn't too much stress on the threads
>>
is there anything wrong about running a floor fan in the opposite direction by simply flipping the plug?
>>
File: Stanley Defiance.jpg (254KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Stanley Defiance.jpg
254KB, 1600x1200px
Can someone help me identify this hand plane? I bought it and it looks like a Defiance but it has no lateral adjuster and its old, I'm just lost at this point. Cost me $30, including shipping.

Any point in the right direction would help. Is it a fake?
>>
File: 81nL-tD5iAL._SY679_.jpg (47KB, 467x679px) Image search: [Google]
81nL-tD5iAL._SY679_.jpg
47KB, 467x679px
Opinions on the Proxxon MF 70?
>>
File: Defiance%20Catalogs[1].jpg (192KB, 1800x1049px) Image search: [Google]
Defiance%20Catalogs[1].jpg
192KB, 1800x1049px
>>1036962
Defiance was a tool company in its own right for many years. Stanley got the name when the bought out that competitor and they slapped it on a line of cheaper planes they spun up in the 1920's. While not garbage they were inferior to Stanley's Bailey line. In 1946 they bought out the North Bros. company. North Bros. had been using the Yankee and Handyman names on its line of tools. Stanley phased out the Defiance name and replaced it with Handyman around 1952. From what I can tell many of the tools carried over with the only changes being the name put on the castings. Handyman planes continued to be sold for many years and were, as before, a cheaper and lower quality alternative to the Bailey line.

In other words you probably spent way more than you should have. You could have bought a similar Bailey for that price, or less, at an estate sale or something.
>>
>>1037059
Thank you for the realistic information.

I'm a new anon to this, so I'll take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure I can fix this one up and use it until I need a better quality tool, in which case I'll acquire a Bailey. Thank you!
>>
File: 61G5apuR-DL._SL1024_.jpg (86KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
61G5apuR-DL._SL1024_.jpg
86KB, 1024x681px
I ordered these faucets for my master bathroom sinks and I didn't think about the fact that they have no place for the lever to lift the sink stopped up and down. No one on Amazon mentions this in the questions. What is my solution? Thinking of returning them for something more traditional.
>>
>>1036979
I have that or a very similar XY table and it isn't something I'd use for milling or for anything requiring precision.
>>
>>1037796
just get the push in stoppers instead of the lever action
>>
>>1037059
>In other words you probably spent way more than you should have. You could have bought a similar Bailey for that price, or less, at an estate sale or something.

This. Estate sales and auctions are god tier for tool buying and no one fights you over manual (and many power) woodworking tools. You can drown in good gear for cheap.
>>
>>1037806
Why? Too much game on the axis? Reading the comments on amazon only the drill part has a game of about 0.5mm.
>>
File: eur-cya71260.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
eur-cya71260.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
I mistakenly bought this instead a simple lock for drawers, but I don't really want to let it lay in some corner for years till I find a proper use for it. Do you think it's possible to use it for a simple wooden drawer? can I put together some scraps and make a low-cost working lock to use with this?
>>
Is there a comprehensive list of screw materials that are non-magnetic?
>>
>>1037884
Why would you need a list? Do you not know what metals are nonferrous?
>>
File: gears.png (96KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
gears.png
96KB, 512x512px
>>1037879 (continued)
opinion on this this? if anyone has any better ideas please let me know.
>>
I didn't know where to post this.
anyone knows if this brand is any good? LIDL usually sells tools.
http://www.lidl.de/de/powerfix-ratschen-und-nussset/p201282
by the way, any tip on gettin tools? I don't know how to do it and some brands looks overpriced
>>
>>1037884
Are you retarded or otherwise mentally handicapped?
>>
>>1037991
yes
>>
How do you guys create / build your own plastic cases? I started building my own PCBs half a year ago, design them with Eagle and order them at OSHPark for 10 bucks for 3 boards. I need cases for them.

What kind of software do I need? Blender? Where do I order them for cheap? Some 3D printing service? Or am I totally wrong?
>>
>>1037868
Yeah, there's play and it isn't particularly rigid either.
Mine is quite old, though. Maybe the current iteration is better.
>>
Question for flooring guys... do you caulk the bottom of the baseboards or just the tops?
>>
>>1038961
And I guess I should mention this is a new tile floor in the bathroom.
>>
>>1038454
>What kind of software do I need? Blender?
probably some CAD software like Solidworks

Blender is just 3D graphics
>>
where should i look to salvage Li-ion batteries? town dump has an e-waste bin but theres signs all over that say "no scavenging"
>>
File: 20160816_013638.jpg (432KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160816_013638.jpg
432KB, 1920x1080px
I'm looking for a better solution for my mouse cable problem. I used to hook it up to my lamp, but unless I want to buy a USB patch cable, the mouse cable wouldn't reach my computer. Right now I'm using this stack of boxes I got from the post office, but it takes up a lot more space than it needs to.
>>
>>1037894
I think you're over complicating this.

I assume when locked the black section pops out (the grey part in the diagram)?

Can you make a hole on the side of the drawer and one that lines up with it in the cabinet the same shape as the profile as the unlocked lock?

Then when it is slipped in and locked with the black tab between drawer and cabinet it can't be removed without unlocking it. This should stop the drawer being opened.
>>
>>1039295
please state your mouse cable problem
>>
>>1039309
It drags on my desk/mousepad otherwise.
>>
What wattage do I need for a smallish welding setup? I currently don't know much about welding but want to get into it in the future. In the meantime I am looking to get a generator for my shop which is off grid. Biggest power user will definitely be a welding rig so I want something that can handle the power demand. Is 5000 watts a good place to start, smaller, bigger?

>>1039201
I think recycling centers make money on them so thats why they don't want you taking them, so I imagine no one else will want you to take them either.
>>
>>1039295

Here you go sperg anon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IE00HTW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can attest this one works flawlessly, but the shipping looks a bit shit at this time. Just google mouse bungee.
>>
I dont know if it qualifies as a stupid questions, but becaĂąse i'm not sure I'm gonna assume it does.

My cheap-ish rotary tool has no RPM adjustment and it spins like the devil. Can I just cut the cable in half and hook it up with a potentiometer, lets say, from an old speaker, or is it just gonna burst in flames. I'm in the EU btw, so double the Volts in my socket.
>>
>>1039474
Yes, you can do exactly that. Just make sure that the pot is rated for your volt/amp load.
Personally I'd stick it all in a small enclosure as well.
>>
>>1039474
I'd use a lamp dimmer. Used to use them at low speeds for circular saws to break in the brushes.
>>
>>1039815
>>1039824
Thanks!
>>
I am going to make a doghouse for small dog (cavalier king charles spaniel)
Is there anything I could do to make it comfy/warm for him ?
I am thinking of using polystyren for insolation from cold but anything else ?
>>
Is there anyone with experience programming SLC500s? I've run into a snag. I have something that's giving me info as two binary words, and I want to stick it into one Float. Any ideas?
>>
>>1028507
I have 3 slabs of oak wood(wind dry) that i want to make a tabletop out of.
For indoor.

A carpenter told me i need to keep the slabs in my house for atleast 6 months before processing it to avoid the table breaking and warping.

The slabs are 2500x350x5 mm, are there special ways to do this quicker or not?
and if not, do i just put them next to my radiator and just wait 6 months?
>>
File: IMG_20160817_140150.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160817_140150.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
I just moved into an apartment on a college campus, and while looking at the fusebox, noticed this. am I seeing this right? Can this fuse not be blown? Its not marked in the list so I assume (hope) its with the spares under it, but I'm somewhat worried by this
>>
>>1040106
Is it locked in the on position?
Usually an mcb being tripped is independent of the arm position and so it will still provide overcurrent protection it just stops stupid people turning it off accidentally. Sometimes when a breaker trips you have to turn the lever onto the off position fully before turning it on again so as to differentiate between a trip and turning it off on purpose. Probably for computer/phone/network/life support.
But I'm not familiar with American breakers so who knows.
>>
>>1040106
Sparkie here. On position lock and red highlighting like that is screaming fire alarm to me. Leave it alone and if it ever does trip tell facilities immediately.
>>
>>1040106
They look like they are intended to have screws in them. Probably like >>1040114 says. The breakers in my old apartments have still been "off" even when I flip them, if there's too much juice in the tubes. If running the vacuum, kettle and fan at the same time flipped the breaker, its still silent when I try to flip it on, it doesnt let me "override" the current protection.

Imagine the lawsuits. It's to prevent unauthorized deactivation.
>>
>>1039474
I have a fucking shit dremel 100 which only has 2 speeds, 1 is too slow, and 2 is like a billion rpm so I got a lamp dimmer for it. Didn't work, it starts spinning irregularly and change speed at random when I lower the power.
>>
>>1040575
Actual dremel vs china clone... China clone is most likely a direct drive motor and as such changing the input voltage can and will work. Your dremel as you say has adjustment already, as such it has circuitry for that. Based on what yours is doing it is using pwm. You would want a adjustable inductor/capacitor to have the correct effect.
>>
>>1028507
Flux capasitor fitting
>>
File: 20160819_020430.jpg (157KB, 1183x665px) Image search: [Google]
20160819_020430.jpg
157KB, 1183x665px
So I just picked up an old table saw from the pawn shop for 20 bucks. 10 inch blade, 11 amps etc. It's a GMC model TS4UL. I hit up google the second i got home and its like this thing doesn't exist. I just want a basic manual or atleast an old product page. Anyone know where i can look?
>>
>>1036126
Look at your monitor from the side, is the back bulging out a little due to the weight in the front of the monitor? If so, you need more support.

Open the monitor and put metal washers (minimum) or metal struts (better) and nuts on the back of the bolts.
>>
>>1040814
I've seen them before. Their table saws are garbage. You might have overpaid. No joke. The ReStore out where I live got some GMC stuff in a few months back and they couldn't sell them. Mostly contractors shot there and they knew better. The website for the company doesn't even list table saws anymore so you know it was a dog for them.

That said, what do you need a manual for? A table saw is a table saw. This one wont have any bells or whistles. From the look of it it doesn't even have a fence or a guard. So you turn it on, you turn it off, you adjust blade height and you adjust blade angle. Nothing else to know.
>>
>>1040835
I realize there's no fluff to it. guess i was just hoping for a parts list. Will it at least be ok to use temp or should i prepare to dodge saw blades?
>>
>>1040841
>guess i was just hoping for a parts list.
I doubt you can still get parts for it. Asian saws rarely have any kind of long term parts availability.

>Will it at least be ok to use temp
Sure. Don't rely on the controls on the saw to be accurate though. Measure things like blade hight and angle manually. Put a good new blade in it. 11 amps means it has about a 1/2 HP to 3/4th HP motor, which is on the weak side for a 10 inch saw. So you will have to baby it or it will bog down when you cut. You might consider putting a smaller blade in it also. Modern tool makers lie about their HP rating all the fucking time for marketing reasons these days. You generally want at least a full HP for 10 inch saws. 1.5 if you have a 20 amp plug to plug it into (assuming its 110 volts and not 220).
>>
I need a good quality cold chisel (will probably buy in a set with punches) and ball pein hammer. Advice on brands?

Gotta stand up to industrial use - I'm an apprentice fabricator/welder.

Also, thoughts on toledo tools?
>>
Where i can find info about locks?

So far looking at bosniabill i learned that American lock and ABUS make good locks and that i shouldn't even think of buying Master locks.

But what about Fanal and Dexter?

Is the American Lock A5200D the same than 5200?
What ABUS Nano Protect is supposed to be?
>>
Hi!
lets say i want to drill something or mark holes or shapes perfectly. What's the best or easiest program to make a grid and make a printable template?

If it HAS to be done on something like Illustrator, then how do i look for tutorials on how to do exactly that? what's it name? i can't find it as in "template"
>>
>>1028507
Hello /diy/
Fairly stupid question so guess it belongs here.

I two smallish screw holes that are stripped to shit and want to just permanently fix them together.
the piece of metal gets up to at least 170 F

Would it be a stupid idea to just fill the hole with JB Weld and smash the screw in it?
>>
>>1041220
rivet them together

or put a screw in and stick it in a vise until the end mushrooms and you cant separate it
>>
>>1041119
Eagle layout editor
open a new board
turn on the grid
draw and label to your liking
print to scale
>>
>>1041227
One is a through and through but the other piece is just a hole.

If it was two through and through riveting would be my first choice.
>>
Is there any downside to buying a hammer drill instead of a normal drill? I'm researching so I can buy into a cordless line, but a couple don't have the drill/impact driver kits, only a hammer drill/impact driver kit. Hammer drills are basically just going to be drills with an extra toggle-able hammer function, right? No real downsides other than potentially the cost?
>>
>>1041396
I think you're correct. My Milwaukee set has a hammer drill, I just don't use the hammer function. It probably weighs more.
>>
Has anyone tried Kobalt's new 24v tools? Are they shit? They're super affordable and seem to stack up well against tools in higher price brackets.
>>
>>1028507
I need an air compressor for cleaning (mostly my computers) and for an air brush, what should i get?
>>
>>1034275
Those type are intended to use a reusable nozzle attachment.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/air-duster-attachments/3988818/

Link related is the one for that brand. If you want something more direct, Falcon has a chromed nozzle closer to the mini straw setup.

See
https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Dust-off-Replacement-Classic-Chrome/dp/B000FTLHBM
>>
this is a meta-question... as a non-regular of this board, I want to know: does /diy/ discuss the commercial side of things?
I bought some cheap, mod-able chinese stuff, and I want to mod it and sell it, but I'm not sure what would be the best option to sell it. should I start a new thread and simply ask for suggestions, or that's forbidden/frowned upon here?
>>
>>1041396
No down side besides price. I'ts just another option for that particular drill.
>>
Is there a way to fix my ceiling fans controller. It used to work High, medium, low, off. Now it's All over the place. They aren't that old and i don't feel like replacing them although i just may have to. Anything to fix it.
>>
I'm making a 30"x72" desk out of birch plywood. Will a support frame and legs made out of 2x2 pine or Douglas fir be sturdy enough for the desk?
>>
File: 1471989420723.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1471989420723.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>1028507
So, the stem in our shower is loose, I don't think there's any leaking, but cutting into the wall to get at the pipe would be tedious since the tile goes all the way up above the shower head. The stem just moves back and forward, no side to side play, so it seems that it just came off the stud in the wall.
How do get it to stay in place now? Don't really have the time to go retiling my shower nor the money to hire someone to do it.

>pic related
not my shower, but same issue.
>>
>>
>>1040077
Getting them inside anywhere, sealed garage etc will helpyou want to acclimatise them so they don't have to be leant against a radiator or anything.
or look up local lumber yard that sells kiln dry wood, my local one will kiln dry a pallet of boards for 25.

Either that or look up data sheets for the oaks movement and accommodate for it using slot screws or buttons if it's not hilariously large. E. G. More than 1/16
>>
so for example
550 cord, by definition, has a rated breaking strength of 550 lbs
but 550 lbs applied over what distance?
>>
How possible is it for me to be able to replace a integrated battery in a laptop and add battery life by myself?

Would it be possible to replace a battery in a low/mid (or even high) end laptop and add extra battery life whilst maintaining or improving the weight?

Or are some/most/all laptops so well engineered that it wouldn't be possible to beat a manufacturer in battery capacity/weight with things I could buy? Thanks
>>
File: shower with low pressure.jpg (227KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
shower with low pressure.jpg
227KB, 600x600px
So I replaced the spout in my bathtub because the diverter hardly did shit and it seems that the pressure coming out of the shower head is lower now.
The flow out of the main spout is the same, but when you pull the diverter, the pressure from the shower head goes way down. As far as I can tell, there are no leaks or anything as any leaks would result in the ceiling leaking downstairs (as it's done that before, but has since been fixed). cutting a hole in the wall would be a tedious task as the tile goes way above the shower head and the surrounding wall is almost a foot and a half away and is heavily textured, so getting in there would be a challenging and long task and we don't have the funds to hire a person to do it.
what do I do?
>>
>>1043589
A lot of new spouts and faucets have a water saving screen which may be attached to a gasket. Generally you can't install them properly without it so you poke holes or drill it out.
>>
>>1043591
But would that decrease water pressure to the shower as the diverter just, from what I remember, just stops the water from the faucet and causing it to go up to the shower head.
>>
File: pump.png (1MB, 669x755px) Image search: [Google]
pump.png
1MB, 669x755px
>pump broke down
>Checked electrically
>seems fine
>Removed cover
>turbine wheel only turns with exessive force and still comes to a grinding stop.
Are the bearings fucked?
>>
>>1043830
Either fucked or in dire need of lubrication.
It could also be something else, disassembling is the only way to be sure
>>
>>1043843
The problem with that is it doesn't seem to come off and there are no screws left to unscrew.
>>
>>1043848
It might required a shaft puller.
>>
File: IMG_20160826_131930382_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160826_131930382_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
I might be able to get a similar wheel, but what could i make the treads from?
>>
>>1043843
or something is wound around the shaft between the impeller and the motor housing
>>
A saw that is specific for iron will cut wood without any trouble, right? Right.?
>>
>>1044783
Got my answer.

>>1044782
>>1044800
>>1044803
Thread posts: 202
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.