[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 69

File: 1459789019974.jpg (76KB, 515x768px) Image search: [Google]
1459789019974.jpg
76KB, 515x768px
Questions that don't deserve their own thread: the thread
Time to ask your question, look hours later and find nobody answered it!
>>
File: pcie1x.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pcie1x.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
Does anyone know a site that sells open ended PCIe 1x connectors in pic related? (The black connector)
Looking for the bare slot not on any PCB. I can only find closed PCIe slots on the usual Digikey, Mouser, Newark.
Need the connector open ended to physically but not electrically accommodate a longer card. I get I could cut down a closed ended one but I would prefer to just get the right part.
>>
File: little ass air compressor.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
little ass air compressor.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
How slow are these little pieces of shit supposed to fill?
I got one for free and it feels like it takes forever. I took the pump apart and cleaned the reed valves and it didnt improve it very much.
>>
>>1043542
If I remember PCIe slots correctly, you can simply cut the plastic slot 'open' to accommodate a PCI x4, x8, x16 card.

Your card should automaticall work at x1 speeds, and all of the power pins are in the "key" that are the same size.

Video related. How brave are you to take an xacto blade to your motherboard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA
>>
File: solder.jpg (93KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
solder.jpg
93KB, 1024x576px
I recently bought a cheap chinese soldering kit on eBay, but instead of flux-core solder it came with this. How do I use this? I would google but I have no idea what it's actually called.
>>
What the fuck is a carberator and how should I go about taking it apart and cleaning it? I try to read about then and they talk about diaphrams and needles, shims, bowls and shit.

I'm concerned its full of tiny bullshit parts and it won't work when I go to put it together.
>>
>>1043599
It's plain solder.
>>
>>1043602
I'm talking about the stuff in the box though.
>>
File: Gorilla_tshirtZoom_original.jpg (35KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
Gorilla_tshirtZoom_original.jpg
35KB, 375x375px
>>1043533
Perfect!

How to diy a projector.

Im unartistic as fuck but i want to make a yard silloette. I.e. a 3/4 shit of plywood, cut into a gorilla shape, and painted black.

I have a descent sized foundry and will be making a plaque to accompany it.

Also have a 50watt solar panel and large deep cycle batteries.
I will be installing said lawn ornament on public property near my small towns lake and attempt to make it look proffessional and as if someone that was supossed to be cementing memes in the ground actually did it. Tasteful nightime lighting and a bronze plaque that simply says Never forget and the dates. I may purchase a seperate panel and light to light up the small memorial already out there just as more "camolage"

The problem i have is tracing a photo off the internet and making it on a 4x8 sheet of plywood to cut out.

As a thank u i will be posting a build thread after i am done.

#dicksoutforharambe
>>
>>1043544
Slow af. I got 1 and its electric. Air compressors generally all suck ass unless u buy a giant one. I actually am done dicking around to the point im hooking up a 60s model volkswagon motor and 200 gallon propane tank on a traler. Got everything but an air pump that can handle 40 horsepower... anyone have any thoughts on where to sorce or how to build the pump? Will post build thread here if u do. I wanna run 4 1" impacts and still not run out of air.
>>
>>1043599
Lol, poor bastard. U can buy flux and paint it on. Lowes sells it near the pvc and propane torches and shit. Flux core is cheaper tho.

Good luck

If have money get good solder gun from radioshack soon. It has a larger tip than the rest.

I have like 40 soldering guns.

40 bucks.

Best 40 bucks i ever spent.

Also pretty sure i almost stabbed a home invader with it. I am confident that the cheap ones would break.

No this guy though.

"Home defense quality soldering gun"
>>
File: Screenshot_20160825-002435.png (525KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160825-002435.png
525KB, 1440x2560px
>>1043601
Lol, can help some. Not a lot though. If small shot like a mower, should be a small screw or bold on the bottom of the little round the that looks like a bowl (the bowl) take it off being careful if there is a gasket, clean it out with a cleaner made for carbuerators and chokes (carb and choke cleaner) and there is also a bolt hanging down the bowl was covering. Take that coxksucker out and clean it. There should be a fucking microscopic hole in it. Clean that fucker out and reasemble.

If its in your car do what i do for my big block chevy. Soray half a can of cleaner in the carb. Throttle the fuck out of it a few times (be careful of backfire in your face and/or neckbeard, change the shitty olastic fuel filter, and then if it doesnt work, give it the finger and cry to your dad or another mechanic.

Good luck anon!

Pic related.
>too many Carbs
>>
>>1043601
It ain't that hard. Buy a rebuild kit with all the new gaskets and shit and get some carb cleaner. Take pics of taking it apart so it's easy to put back together.
>>
>>1043606
>The problem i have is tracing a photo off the internet and making it on a 4x8 sheet of plywood to cut out.

print photo on graph paper
draw grid lines on plywood
transfer by hand
>>
>>1043603
>the stuff in the box
not certain but it' likely soldering paste
>>
Do anyone have YT video/book/bogpost/whathever that goes in depth in problem of wood expantion/contraction in practice?
What I mean is, I know theory - you can't just screw table top to the base, because it will crack or warp the base. But how you attach it then? At what point piece of wood is too big to screwing it? Will wooden frame crush tightly fitted glass in window? This kind of things, shrinkage in practice.
>>
Is Hobbyking acting up for anyone else? I can't seem to log in.
>>
>>1043606
>The problem i have is tracing a photo off the internet and making it on a 4x8 sheet of plywood to cut out.
Print out the shape you want on normal size paper, then cut it out, set up a nice spotlight and project its shadow onto the sheet of plywood
>>
>>1043567
The only reason why I don't want to cut the slot is this is on a product I'm looking to possibly sell and not on a usual computer motherboard. But I realize this may be my only alternative, can't find 1x open ended slots from the factory at all. I'm starting to wonder if these Chinese manufactures are just cutting the slot themselves using a CNC or something because the actual part seems to be unobtanium.
>>
>>1043609
Are you a plumber? Rosin core is for electrical. Acid flux (what you generally find in the plumbing section) is the last thing you want for electrical. Also, right tool for the job; variable watt station for fine electrical, gun for construction work.
>>
>>1043692
You could build a little jig for your dremel to cut the slots perfectly each time
Making something kinda like a mini table saw where you slide the pcie onto the blade would be easiest
>>
>>1043603
It could be rosin. Is it hard and brittle?
>>
>>1043692
Its seriously cheap plastic, and if you take your time with an xacto blade, nobody will notice your modification.

Alternatively if you're fine with spending up to $10, buy a pcie1x riser ribbon cable. Its like an extention cord for the 1x slot. You can modify the cable and the motherboard is unchanged.
>>
File: REEEEEEEEE.png (151KB, 432x320px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEE.png
151KB, 432x320px
I want to make dry ice at home, but don't want to pay 1000 bucks for a maker plus the price of canned co2. Is there any sort of cost effective way or equipment to just freeze regular air solid at home in small amounts? Don't say fire extinguishers either.
>>
>>1043907
>freeze regular air solid at home in small amounts
Despite what the hippies say, air doesn't contian enough CO2 to so freezing it solid = dry ice

>Don't say fire extinguishers either
It's pretty much the only way without paying big buck for some serious cryogenic equipment

I heard that some supermarkets sell dry ice for keeping food cold but have never actually seen it being sold anywhere. This is probably the cheapest way to get dry ice. Check if your local store has some in stock and if not you're fucked and better get to work buying some fire extinguishers.
>>
>>1043913
They don't stock it because the dry ice sublimates so quickly; their inventory would literally evaporate. Give any ice retailer a few weeks notice and they can usually order it in for you.
>>
>>1043913
>>1043915
I've gotten it from grocery stores before but where I live now there are none that do. They always had a big flat freezer they kept a bunch in.
I know there isn't a whole lot of co2 in the air, I just wanted to freeze the whole amalgam or as much of it as I could, wouldn't i just need to be able to pressurize it enough for it to liquify/solidify enough to put it in a mold or something?
>>
>>1043660
Thank u anon. So fucking tarded. Print outline on numbered pages. Cut out. Tape to board. Krylon. Cut. Easy peasy?
>>
>>1043756
Not by trade. Didnt know there was a difference. Kek. I have a plethora of solder shit collected. Plumbing style and propane torch for home repair and brass foundry nozzle, small electrical for rc mower and such, and high temp trigger pull for automotive and whatnot.

Through random projects im legit solder pro of im smart enough to ise the right shit i guess. Lol, will have to do some research now. Thank
>>
>>1043907
Some walmarts sell dry ice?
>>
>>1043922
Technically enough pressure + cooling to get CO2 solid would make CO2 slowly separate out. But that takes literally forever because the air contains so little of it. Even though the CO2 wants to settle and form a solid, all the other air molecules and atoms "carry" the singular CO2 molecules to a point where absolutely nothing will happen to the cooled air.

TLDR; This won't work.
>>
File: 379n.jpg (71KB, 807x560px) Image search: [Google]
379n.jpg
71KB, 807x560px
>>1043935
>>1043922

I like to over complicate things so I looked into the problems you'd face if you worked around the settling out problem. Meaning, the actual setup required.

First, I checked how much air you would have to work over. 17 kg yield about 1 kg, which seems reasonable to me.

Next, the actual conditions required:
considering you probably don't have a way to make actual dry ice temperatures, I will assume you can get freezer temps, which are around -18°C. Given this, I got the CO2 phase diagram and checked the pressure required to get it into solid form at that temp (pic related)
Aaaaand where already over 1000 Bar. Which basically means it's impossible. 1000 Bar tanks are possible and exist, but are really really expensive. I'm pretty sure they aren't sold for non-industrial or scientific use and you will never ever find one to fit in your freezer. Not even mentioning the kind of compressor needed for this.
TLDR; just get some fire extinguishers.
>>
>>1043606
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
This for upsizing images
>>
>>1043610
>>1043611
>>1043611
>>1043610
Its the carb on a big dirt bike. It's running kinda shitty. So if I open the manifold on the air intake side and spray carb cleaner in while throttling it will clean it and not actually set fire to everything?

I'll try taking it apart through the bowl first or maybe just removing and inspecting it.
>>
Two questions:
>Anyone have any advice on breaking in new boots?

>I've got to do some independent study in physics this semester, and I'm focusing on electrical components (diodes, rectifiers, ect). Any suggestions for interesting projects?
>>
>>1043976
>Boots

Wear them everywhere. Protect your feet with high quality hiking socks. Pick up some blister prevention patches, moleskin makes some, some people use duct tape.
>>
>>1043976
>>I've got to do some independent study in physics this semester, and I'm focusing on electrical components (diodes, rectifiers, ect). Any suggestions for interesting projects?

If you don't have an oscilloscope you can stop right now.
If you have one any way to accurate readings about how some components behave under different conditions could be neat.
>>
>>1043976
Something like this could go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YledrMyoqgs

Maybe throw in more accurate force measuring or measure how the magnet behaves in the circuit (you could go into a detour about induction for the presentation)
>>
>>1043990
>college physics lab
>no oscilloscope
What kind of chucklefuck operation do you think we're running?

>>1043997
Alright, I'll consider doing some electromagnetism type stuff.
>>
>>1043976
Stick your new boots in a clothes dryer and tumble. No heat, just air.
>>
>>1043976
These guys are giving dumb advice. Put them on your feet and lace them so they are skin-tight, with just room for your toes to wiggle. Wear them like that. They won't be comfortable at first but they will break in and be perfect in a few days and you will not get blisters or need shit like moleskin because no part of your foot will move inside the boot. Getting them soaking wet and walking around speeds up the process.

Most people fuck this up, break them in and wear them too loose and they get blisters like retards.
>>
The baffle plate that sits in the top of my fire has broken, it was fire bricks with a steel plate behind it, being a tight ass I was thinking about getting a 20mm plate of steel from work and use that instead, yes I know it will warp and won't last as long, but are there any other negative reasons? Fire has a wetback in it also, if it is massively detrimental to the fire I won't do it, but I'd like to know if anyone has done this..?
>>
File: Modem power supply unit.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Modem power supply unit.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
My modem has this power supply unit that gives +5.2V, but it's currently giving stable +5.3V. Is it OK? Or did the 8 years of use made the number deviate. Measured using my multimeter.
>>
>>1044035
It should be fine. Galzanized steel can emit poison fumes when heated but they don't really make 20mm plates from that.
>>
I have these little loudspeakers that doesn't give loud sound. Some kind of aplifier is needed, but I don't have it. Should I keep the loudspeakers, or give them to someone? I don't have knowledge to build the proper amplifier, and I don't have the knowledge about plugging it into another amplifier.
>>
>>1044060
It's fine. The output voltage one those will fluctuate with their load. Your modem very likely has some protection as well to prevent it from becoming a brick if the supply goes bad. I wouldn't stress about it.
>>
>>1044101
>Your modem very likely has some protection as well
Not anymore...
>>
>>1044115
Modems get surprisingly hot, did you leave it in a confined space or under some clothes? My room mate killed 2 routers due to heat failure because he though putting the cat bed on top of it giving them a warm place was smart.
>>
>>1044121
No, it was adequately open. But after 8 years, it's to expect that the capacitors stop working, specially taiwanese electrolytic ones.
>>
File: Portable radio receptor scrap.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Portable radio receptor scrap.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
I stole this portable radio scrap from someone's trash can. Which components are worth removing for my use of building a crystal radio receiver?
>>
>>1043606
Check out rasterbator.
http://arje.net/rasterbator
>>
>>1044035
>Fire has a wetback in it
Trump 2016
>>
>>1043818
Yes
>>
>>1044139
the clear plastic/gold/silver tuning capacitors and the ferrite stick antenna are what you want. you'll also need a germanium diode.
>>
>>1044087
look on ebay for a little 6w amp
Super cheap and even the dumbest of asses can wire it
>>
File: DJMoyALowltPCRIn.png (2MB, 1600x1163px) Image search: [Google]
DJMoyALowltPCRIn.png
2MB, 1600x1163px
I want a driver kit that doesn't sucks and destroys itself with the first stubborn screw, iFixit's tool kit makes me wet, but I don't know if it's too pricey, pretty sure there must be a better option.
Any recommendations?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECcFGszb-Mo
>>
File: Old-as-fuck keyboard.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Old-as-fuck keyboard.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
I have here this 1996 keyboard. It uses a fucking MIDI connector! I like the visual aspect of this keyboard, but I don't know if it's working or not, as the PC that used it is dead, and my computers don't have MIDI connectors. Should I buy a MIDI adaptor and test? Is it worth?
>>
>>1044303
Meh, fuck it, bought it for 35€, no buyer's remorse, yet.
>>
>>1044265
>a little 6w amp
How do you know this is the right wattage?
>>
>>1044316
>It uses a fucking MIDI connector

It's an AT style (DIN-5) connector. You can get passive AT->PS/2 adaptors, or an active AT->USB adaptor.

But that keyboard is filthy as all fuck, and unless you know that is has a nice switch type, is worth less than the adaptor will cost.
>>
File: scrap scrap scrap.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
scrap scrap scrap.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>1044233
You mean these?
>>
>>1044319
Theres no right wattage for speakers, just maximum wattage they can handle. Those 6w amps are 3w per channel, a gameboy speaker can handle.
>>
Are led bulbs safe to use on exteriors?
>>
>>1044327
OK, but how do you know that the speakers of this loudspeakers can handle 3w?
>>
>>1044332
As long as they dont get water on them
>>
>>1044345
What if they do get wet? What is the worst it could happen?

The place im planning to put them on they will indeed get wet when it rains.
>>
>>1044320
>that keyboard is filthy as all fuck
It can be cleaned.

>unless you know that is has a nice switch type
I will open and check it, OK?
>>
>>1044346
If they get wet, they can have a short-circuit and stop working, if they are electronic.

>The place im planning to put them on they will indeed get wet when it rains.
Place some kind of protection on them.
>>
>>1044348
I guess i will have to, wife wanted to put something cute in the entrance anyway.
>>
File: 41H0PSKSZXL._SY300_.jpg (12KB, 191x300px) Image search: [Google]
41H0PSKSZXL._SY300_.jpg
12KB, 191x300px
>>1044350
Ask your wife if this is cute enough.
>>
>>1044344
Dont turn the volume to max if you are worried about blowing them out
>>
File: light.jpg (42KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
light.jpg
42KB, 320x320px
>>1044357
Or be like every other normal homeowner and get an attractive light fixture/sconce.
>>
If a device is rated for a certain wattage, can it be run with different voltage?

For example can a 12dcv 60 watt automotive headlamp run off 120acv with 0.5 amps? Seems like less amps would be less likely to catch fire.
>>
>>1044347
No, carefully pull one key off. Carefully, because some kinds have a loose spring under the key, and it can pop out in a random direction. Then take a pick of what's under the key.
t. /g/
>>
>>1044347
>I will open and check it, OK?

Just type on it. If you like the way it feels, buy the adapter.
If it works OK with the adapter, clean up the exterior and use it.
Putting a keyboard back together can be a daunting experience if you haven't done it before.
>>
>>1044399
For example a lamp is usually a purely resistive load, we use equation v=i*r.
Lamp has a resistance, (which increases with temperature), to find the current divide voltage by resistance it becomes clear that by increasing the voltage actually more current flows.
This is pretty much why things have set voltages, you can't give them any old voltage because they don't self regulate.

Some electronic equipment has built in smps (clever power supply) that CAN work at various voltages but not any and all voltages so be careful.
>>
>>1044399
What device? I mean just in your example, usually things that take AC input won't accept DC and vice versa.
>>
I've replaced both of the switches (left and right click for the clueless) on my deathadder now, and if I tighten the screws directly under the LMB/RMB to a point where I'd call it tight, it ruines the click action, like it's all sandwiched together too tight.

The switches are the exact same mfr/dimensions with some slightly different specs that I didn't choose them for, just bought the cheapest japanese omrons.

For a while I had only one switch replaced and it did this on the replaced side while the stock side was able to be tightened properly.

Any ideas what I might have done wrong, or were the screws just not meant to be tightened all the way?
>>
File: Mechanical switch.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px)
Mechanical switch.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>1044419
>>1044429
Too late, already opened. It's a mechanical switch. Also, the insides of the keyboard says it's a 1990 model, so the previous computer owner re-used an old keyboard on his 1996 model.
>>
File: Broken car alarm.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Broken car alarm.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
I received as gift this broken car alarm. The previous owner said that it can't output loud sound anymore. Should I fix it/disassembly and use in another project?
>>
>>1044544
You probably can't fix it, and a replacement siren is under $10.
>>
>>1044549
Appears the name of this piece is not siren. When searching on eBay, the images that appears show BIG sirens, like police ones. This is from an alarm, it's not as loud.
>>
File: Line Protector.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Line Protector.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
Do these Line Protectors really protect anything?
>>
>>1044562
They probably just add ground fault interruption to an outlet that didn't have it already.
>>
>>1044562
better ones are fast acting MOVs and suppress spikes on the line
>>
>>1044537
>owner re-used an old keyboard on his 1996 model.

I still have a Tandy keyboard I moved from computer to computer because it had the best action of any I'd used.

Now on a laptop and it's awful.

Your post makes me want to get an adapter and hook my Tandy to this laptop.
>>
>>1044568
I'm not sure, the ground pin below it can be rotated for use or disuse. Inside, there is 1 resistor, 1 blue thing called "VR", and 1 fuse.
>>
>>1044558
Its still the audible horn, they're literally so cheap there isn't a point in trying to repair it.
>>
>>1044570
I believe the blue-thing inside it is a Metal-Oxide Varistor, judging by this Wikipedia image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Varistor_S14K385_photo.jpg
>>
My radiator has a crack up top near the fill cap. I tried epoxy, but it cracked through that too. Should I try a fabric swatch, expoxy that on over the crack and epoxy it some more?

I applied it right the first time so it won't be easy to undo it. Can I just sand the old repair over and try the epoxy mesh approach?

I dunno how it cracked its supposed to be like 5000psi rated or some shit.
>>
>>1044618
Instead of spending $50 on fixes that will probably last 1000 miles, replace it for $150 and get another 100k out of the car.
>>
>>1044618
If the radiator is metal, take it out and get the crack brazed or soldered. Some radiators have a resin composite tank at the top and if this is cracked, get a replacement.
>>
File: Q450-quadcopter-kopen.jpg (80KB, 999x661px) Image search: [Google]
Q450-quadcopter-kopen.jpg
80KB, 999x661px
I want to make some drones and robots.
What're some good books/websites/youtubes/whatever for that sort of thing?

I started a class this semester and found out from several people that the final is always a robot competition. I want a leg up.

I also joined a drone club on campus and want to grab some resources to use so I'm not dead weight there.
>>
>>1043533
Is it worth building a shipping container home with the express purpose of selling it to hippies for mad profit?

Or is the concept so flawed that not even hipsters can make it profitable?
>>
>>1044624
>>1044652
>replace the radiator

Thanks I was hoping nobody would say that. Yes it is plastic/ resin, so epoxy isn't going to work? I'm stupid busy and trying to avoid wasting a saturday doing a proper repair.
>>
>>1044687
I would think it reasonable, especially if it's an old shitty retired container you can fix up and pretty it for cheap. You need a way to transport it safely though.

Most weirdos obsessed with living in shipping containers are /diy/ inclined people though. I bet you could at least break even though for someone with more money than time that wants a mother-in-law house or a hunting cabin.
>>
>>1044691
it really might, scrub and prep it, epoxy the hell out of it, sacrifice a virgin, turn 3 times clockwise, spit south, and stick your thumb up your butt. You might get some luck that way. but in reality, you'll spend 3 hours on a patch, or 5 hours on a replacement.
>>
>>1044668
https://www.youtube.com/user/MacPuffdog/featured

Something i've been watching recently.
>>
>>1044692
Isnt one of the main attractions of shipping contianers the ability to transport them via boat train truck?
>>
A saw that is specific for iron will cut wood without any trouble, right? Right...?
>>
File: 1471620207930.png (151KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
1471620207930.png
151KB, 500x309px
I wanna make my own sketchbook since I'ma poor fuck. Any YT videos you guys can suggest>?
>>
>>1044782
It will be slow because the teeth will be smaller but it shouldn't be damaged if that's what you mean.
>>
>>1044800
Ok. Thanks.
>>
>>1044796
Sketchbooks are like $8. In no reality is it cheaper to make a book of blank sheets of paper than buy one.

You could buy blank reams of paper and use them unbinded for slight savings. You could buy a hole puncher for another $8 and a $2 binder and fill it, but buying blank paper and binding it into a book will necessarily cost you more than just the $8 cost of a normal sketchbook.

If you want to get fancy and design your own book cover and learn to bind books, that's a different matter, and it's not cheaper than buying a normal sketchbook.
>>
>>1044810
>If you want to get fancy and design your own book cover and learn to bind books, that's a different matter, and it's not cheaper than buying a normal sketchbook.
Actually that's what I wanted to say, sorry. Yeah i kinda wanna make something a little fancy.
>>
File: GerberViper_Bahama-Pink.jpg (25KB, 500x686px) Image search: [Google]
GerberViper_Bahama-Pink.jpg
25KB, 500x686px
I have an older toilet in my bathroom, one of the 70s one with like a 5 gallon bowl. pic related

Anyways, sometimes when I flush, the water starts to spin and go down but it doesnt get all the way to the "flush" part. It will spin in circles, and then just stop spinning and fill up again.
>>
>>1044816
There is shit clogging it. Use an unclogging device.
>>
File: Boken plastic cheap headset.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Boken plastic cheap headset.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
I have here this plastic headset I received used as a gift. By using, it now can't emit sound on the 2 sides, so I use it only as microphone, placed on my neck, while I use a headphone on my head. I already bought another one, of better apparent quality, but that started to decompose on the first week, and broke in 1 month. I'm sufficiently unhappy for months into buying another one, I don't want to buy another piece of crap. Is there a way, or is it worth to fix this one?
>>
>>1044844
No.
>>
File: Dead_Disk_Drive.jpg (109KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dead_Disk_Drive.jpg
109KB, 960x720px
I was playing with my HDD super-magnets, and the older started to make plastic sounds. Now appears it has a kind of air bubble inside it. What the fucks?
>>
>>1044850
The coating is very fragile, especially on hdd magnets. They re in a very controlled environment and aren't designed to click together against anythin you clicked and it broke the coating.
>>
>>1044816
It could be the vent stack associated with that toilet.
>>
>>1043599
>>1043609
always use separate flux for any decent electrical soldering.
the flux core is insufficient for proper soldering, but can be used just fine for anything tin plated.

how strong a flux you use depends on the metals involved and the project, as >>1043756
said, acid flux is normally not used on electrical projects because the ionic residue fucks your shit. its also impossible to clean
>>
>>1043662
its flux>>1043599
>>
>>1044194
add distilled or (if you must) isopropl alcohol to the rosin to make it a slurry.

congrats, you now have basic electronic flux
>>
I'm planning a small electrical project that, at the press of a button, provides a little heating element with current for a set time (10-20 minutes) then shuts off. What should I look at?
>>
>>1044844
technically, yes. but those wires are fucking tiny in most cases. more than likely you have breaks on either the jack or the speaker ends.
>>
>>1044989
arduinio/raspberry/ect
>>
>>1044992
To stuff up your ass, right?
As long as you don't need autistically accurate times, a 555 timer will work fine.
He needs to worry more about safety rather than what timer to use.
There are heated blanket fires every year.
>>
>>1044989
look for a mechanical timer switch
ready made, cheap, and can handle the load you would want to put on it.
>>
Can someone recommend a good beginner's woodworking book? Looking for something that has projects in it and tells you which tools will be good for which tasks (and preferably why).
>>
>>1044869
What will I see if he coating wears out?
>>
>>1044990
Yeah. I tried to fix the second headset, and fucked tit more as the wire disappeared.
>>
>>1045046
Identifying wood by R. Bruce Hoadley
>>
>>1045046
YouTube.

Or go to a used bookstore and by three decent looking books for the price of what one new one would cost.
>>
>>1045281
i completely forgot that bookstores exist
>>
>>1044796
>>1044810
>>1044813
well that shit looks to be solved, but I'll leave this here since I already typed it out:

If they wanted to make a book with specialty papers that don't always come in sketchbook or block form (like certain types of watercolour paper, printmaking paper used for drawing purposes, etc). It can be cost effective depending on the paper sheets themselves (or if they have that shit already). The types of binding chosen would decide the final prices (yarn & threading vs 100% pvc glues). To keep it cheaper, spare cardboard from cereal or soda boxes could be used as a base over something like chipboard for example.

There are several YT videos from the user "SeaLemon" regarding book making & binding techniques. Aside from her, I'm just gonna link to one that deals with WC paper from a different user:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3187ovmPINU
If you don't wanna bind with threads, there's always shit like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0HZZv9ArTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-4iTvvX2sw

If OP just wants to paint on the sketchbook cover, then get some craft acrylics from a craft/hobby store like Michaels or AC Moore. Could use the sales coupons they usually have each week to put towards it if you wanna be an especially cheap fuck. On their own craft acrylics are usually one dollar per tube, but could be lucky to see if there's larger amounts of student grade acrylics on sale. Especially helpful to get your base colour/colour that you're gonna 'prime' your covers (white, black, etc) in a larger format since it'll run out faster than the other colours.

Or just glue some patterned cardstock (usually also on sale depending on store, three sheets for one dollar) on the covers and be done with it.
>>
>>1045314
Half Price Books.
I picked up 5 NEW books with recommended prices on the back of $20 or more for just $4-8 each last week.

Be careful on their websites, though. It's like $5 shipping per seller, so if you buy 3 books from 3 different places they might end up charging $15 in shipping, negating a lot of the savings. But if you buy from all the same seller you should be fine.

And often, the extra $5 wouldn't matter anyhow. $5 for a book + $5 for shipping is still often cheaper than $20 for the book on amazon or similar sites.
>>
Is too difficult to glue wood together and get an even finish?
I'm want to build a countertop of reclaimed wood for a desktop (Image related, but the legs will be two drawers) but I'm not sure if I could make it, or simply pay someone else with experience to build it.
>>
>>1045474
Glue? What the fuck mate, use some nails!
>>
>>1045480
I need a smooth surface tough.
>>
>>1045482
Keep hitting them until they get below the wood level.
>>
>>1045474
What the fuck is wrong with a pocket hole or biscuits if you want a smooth surface?
>>
>>1045474
Just a heads up, you run boards the long way. Don't copy that design. It's one of the basic rules of furniture making that you always prefer a few long boards over many short ones.

>>1045474
>Is too difficult to glue wood together and get an even finish?
Not at all. The trick is that you glue them up, let it set and then finish the surface. And by finish I mean planing or sanding it, not stain and such.
>>
>>1045486
I want to apply epoxy resin to finish it. But thinking more, probably will be a good idea too to build the countertop with separated pieces.
>>
I have a window unit AC, it's not a permanent install. The side panels (pic related, but not exactly, it's a googled image) have a tendency to rattle in the bracket.

I've tried stuffing bits of waste plastic in there, but it doesn't stop it, the rattle just moves to wherever isn't stuffed.

Are there any better ways to go about this, or do I just need to get a shit ton of something I can wad up and get to it?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>1045673
Of course I forgot the fucking picture.
>>
>>1043913
2. Lurk near local supemarket around 7am.
2.Have cooler pn standby.
3.Wait for the dairy truck to offload.
All those curtained wracks have lots of dry ice.
I
4. Most drivers give not a fuck if you take it when they're done offloading, they leave it to evaporate anyway.
Talk to driver first, of course.
5. ???
6. DRY ICE
>>
>>1045674
tape
>>
>>1045673
>>1045674
Get some plywood, mount the plywood to the AC using some tec-screws (self-tapping) and brackets. Make sure theres nothing on the inside of the AC that you'll screw through and damage. Those steel cases usually come off with just a few screws.

You can also get a little foam rubber weather stripping and mount that around the wood and AC were it contacts with the window. Style points: paint the wood so it doesn't look trailer.
>>
>>1043533
Yo /diy/

I'm laying flooring in my attic. Was previously just joists covered with insulation, above a non-load bearing plasterboard ceiling.

I've partially put flooring down in the middle of the room and now want to extend right out to the masonry of the walls. However the way I laid the planks means there's no more space on the lefthand joist to put a plank, and there's no joist immediately next to the wall.

Would pic related work if I drilled metal brackets into the joist and the wall and used these plus a central joist to take the load? Distance between the joists is about 2 feet and the maximum load would be about 100kg (my fat arse). If so what kind of screws and brackets to use and how close should I space them?
>>
>>1045790
You can just use a 2x4 nailed into whatever 2x material your joists are, no need to futz with screws and brackets like that. Should be quicker, probably cheaper, especially if you already have the materials on hand.
>>
>>1045815
OK, thanks. What about the wall side though? Attach a 2x4 "rail" screwed in with plastic plugs?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (136KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
136KB, 1920x1080px
I want to cast some things with silicone, no fancy shapes.
First I will have to make a mold of the original but alginate and silicone are quite expensive therefore can I use something else to make the mold instead?
Only the end product has to be silicone.
>>
>>1045960
>alginate and silicone are quite expensive

alginate is inexpensive

you're going to have to buy silicone to make the cast item
it's unlikely you be able to buy the exact amount of product for your casting
use some of the same product to make the mold
>>
>>1045968
alginate is 17€/kg same for the silicone. Imo thats quite expensive.

The mold should have around 2-4 liters volume, that would be 0,4-0,8kg of alginate (Water:alginate 5:1) or a shit ton of silicone. I'm not to thrilled to pay a lot of money for molds cant use over and over or even more for just a mold.
>>
File: 1472481381632.jpg (102KB, 1280x650px) Image search: [Google]
1472481381632.jpg
102KB, 1280x650px
>>1045790
>>
>>1045976
Thanks anon.

Imagine though that I'm too poor/lazy to use any tools other than a drill.
>>
I will be smelting aluminum for the first time next weekend and am confused as to what flux I should add to purify the scrap aluminum.

Will anyone shed light on this for me?
>>
>>1046061
when I watch kieth rucker do it, he adds just regular table salt, then scrapes the aluminum oxide off the top.
>>
I have a 20A circuit with a bunch of 15A duplex outlets on it (totally legal and very common)

On one of these outlets I can plug a 6A vacuum and a 12A electric wok. (18A total)

The breaker won't trip because I'm not pulling 20A, but the outlet is only rated for 15A.

Can I burn my house down doing this?
>>
>>1046115
>Can I burn my house down doing this?

You can burn your house down playing with matches.

If you're worried it's wrong, stop doing it.
>>
>>1045972
If you're looking into alginate, I have to assume you're talking about body casting... you don't use the body cast as your main mold anyway (the process naturally destroys the mold no matter what you're using). Alginate or plaster bandages are really the only things you can use; silicone products cure overnight. Suck it up and buy the alginate, Europoor.
>>
>>1046115
I would upgrade that outlet if you are going to e doing this
>>
>>1046115
20 Amp outlets cost like $4 and take maybe 10 minutes to replace if you have 2 left hands and they are both all thumbs. If it's a concern, replace it.
>>
my dumbass pulled on a thread on a knitted jacket and now theres a medium sized hole on the sleeve. Only 1 thread was pulled off so it looks easily mendable. How should I go about this? I'm gonna be picking up a sewing kit I think
>>
>>1043533
what's a good method of dealing with heat exhaustion or how easy it is to get
>>
Give me one good reason NOT to start drinking wood alcohol instead of vodka.

>cheaper than dirt
>100% safe
>can also use to clean wood
>high proof
>>
>>1046590
>>100% safe
I highly doubt it. Methanol (and your government, probably) will fuck you up.
>>
>>1046590
First, no matter the proof, ounce for ounce it won't get you as drunk as ethyl alcohol, so there goes your "cheaper than dirt" argument: you'd have to drink more of it. 100% safe? Fuck off back to /b/. Trolling is cool, but you're talking dangerous shit, dipfuck. How about you do it, post pics, and results?

1/10 made my reply
>>
>>1046104

Thanks. I'll try it out.

The only source I found uses table salt and potassium in a 1:1 ratio.
>>
>>1043907
BOC or other place that wholesales gases
>>
>>1044346
Post pic or model number. Also look for an IP rating which will tell you exactly how water resistant they are
>>
>>1046115
Yes. But as long as you're not using them at the same time you're good.
>>
File: Opened old-as-fuck keyboard.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Opened old-as-fuck keyboard.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>1044537
I still want to know... Is this type of switch worth the USB or PS2 adaptor?
>>
>>1046753
If it has a windows key it aint old breh
>>
>>1046770
It does not have. Check >>1044316
>>
>>1046772
OK...well... same thing the other anons said, only you can decide if you like how it feels.
>>
>>1046773
I think I do like.
>>
>>1046778
If you like it, just look for a PS/2 to USB adapter. Just be sure to get an active one, not a passive one. Passive ones were for the weird devices that were on the bubble between PS/2 and USB, and are just wires. You need a chip to decode the PS/2 interrupts and convert them to USB polls. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Keyboard-Converter-Adapter-110934/dp/B00IACID2C/
Since it's the old AT format, you'll need something like https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Keyboard-Converter-Adapter-Din5f/dp/B000067RBR/
>>
What is a good cheap mold release for molten aluminum and uncoated steel? Baby powder?
>>
>>1043608
Buy 10 2/3 cylinder pumps that each require 4hp to run
That should be good for like 120cfm @90 psi aka infinite air
But for real you won't see peak HP at idle or low load so you should Google or get it dynoed at the rpm and load you plan on running at and if need be you can use a restrictor or smaller carb to force a lower power output if needed
Or just have it drive 40hp worth of 240v power generators to power 240v motors for the pumps if you're willing to accept the power conversion loss (only 20% of combustion turns into mechanical energy, minus engine friction loss, minus +/- 90% alternator effectcy minus belt loss minus power transmission through wire loss)
>>
>>1047116
The vids of Kieth Rucker casting aluminum, bronze, and steel use baby powder, talc, and a releasing powder which is the same as baby powder. The trick is to apply it properly.
>>
So here's the thing..

Someone bought me a shower cabin and had it installed here.

For reasons I don't know, it has a telephone cable (rj11) attached to it and some sort of a phone? mode without a function to dial or do anything other then activate

I've attached a extender cable to it and tested the wires to see if I'd get a response in my multi meter, but there is none.

what is this all about? could I just wire a 3.5 mm jack to the end of it? will it just listen to the current conversation if wired to the phone plug?
>>
>>1047294
It's a secret camera.
>>
>>1046590
>METHANOL
>100% SAFE
ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED
>>
>>1046391
drink some fucking water and you don't have to worry about it. no, not that much water, more.
>>
>>1047294
Perhaps some kind of intercom system? You'll have to just follow the wires and see where they terminate at the other end.
>>
>>1043608
You are going to kill yourself

You do realize a propane cylinder is only rated for between 30 and 60 psi right?

Also you can always just get a pto driven air compressor

I've got one under my truck that can do 165psi at 150cfm
>>
File: DIN5 plug.jpg (1MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
DIN5 plug.jpg
1MB, 3664x2748px
>>1046902
So, it's a DIN5->PS/2 plugged on a PS/2->USB2?
>>
>>1047553
read this:
geekhack org/index.php?topic=7872.0

>needs dot - system says it's spam
>>
How do you clean a wooden deck like pic related? That white residue is from a few weeks ago, when I put my catbox outside and it overflowed during a thunderstorm. The litter was a special clumping kind, so I'm assuming this is the glue mixture that was on the litter itself. I live in an apartment complex, but I don't want to have the maintenance guy come out here if I don't have to. Someone said it would be as easy as scrubbing it with vinegar and baking soda, and others are saying "bleach". I live above someone (i think? ive never seen them before but i hear them), so anything I put out there can't leak down onto their deck.

Should I just call the maintenance guy?
>>
Is this battery ded? I have this 1.2Ah sealed battery which charges very slowly (>200mA) and doesn't seems to hold the charge too well. Can I bring it back to life? or should I buy a new one?
>>
>>1044316
>>1046753
that's a bad ass keyboard, i used one just like it for almost 20 years. I miss it :(
>>
>>1043907
my buddy ordered it online once. it came in a huge styrofoam tote
>>
File: batman.jpg (728KB, 956x1024px) Image search: [Google]
batman.jpg
728KB, 956x1024px
>>1044544
>another project

can you affix car alarms inside someones shower?
>>
>>1043913
>I heard that some supermarkets sell dry ice for keeping food cold but have never actually seen it being sold anywhere.

Wal-Mart - at least the one near me does.
>>
>>1047681
What happened to it? Maybe it's this one.
>>
>>1047699
I can affix it on my telefone.
>>
>>1047632
Nevermind, I just bought a fresh one.
>>
File: pack.gif (133KB, 451x600px) Image search: [Google]
pack.gif
133KB, 451x600px
I have this pack here, it is made of cotton, I removed the logo and want to wax with paraffin it. I never did this before. I have:
>brush
>pans
>stove and oven
>450g of candles
I don't have a heat gun or a hairdrier or a clothing drier. My plan is to:
>melt candles
>keep them warm with a soldering iron or very very low stove fire
>paint it with paraffin
>it'll probably be all white and cracked
>pre-heat oven for one minute so it goes above the melting point of paraffin
>put pack there and control temperature so paraffin soaks into the cloth
>remove pack
>???
>obtain waxed backpack
Will it work /diy/? Anyone dealt with waxing cloths before?
>>
File: CSABC7AXIAAsQhR.jpg (62KB, 600x809px) Image search: [Google]
CSABC7AXIAAsQhR.jpg
62KB, 600x809px
What are these called? How do I make them?
>>
>>1047933
>What are these called?
shit man idk but they look cheap as hell
>How do I make them?
looks like some plexiglass and a sticker. get a laser printer and some sticker sheets.
>>
>>1047933
You could try a laminating machine (piece of paper between two plastic foils), but the normal cheap machines can't handle that thick plastic.
>>
>>1047923
That's a beautiful pack, congratulations for having it. But, why wax it? I have cloth backpack, but with plastic inside. I think it's easier.
>>
File: D-Link DSL-500B.jpg (3MB, 3664x2748px)
D-Link DSL-500B.jpg
3MB, 3664x2748px
>D-Link DSL-500B
I have this modem here. I received it on 2008 from my phone company, used it until this year, when it could not work and was replaced by a new one. Its capacitors, taiwanese electrolictic ones from the Ronyo brand, leaked due to usage. I already was told on /diy/ that it's easy to fix, just replacing them. And that I should, because it's good to have a spare one IF I need.

So, I checked the (physical 2008) manual, and it says:
>ADSL interface * supports G.dmt full rate: speeds up to 8Mbps downstream/640Kbps upstream
This worries me a little bit. I currently have 5Mbps connection, and the next connection I will have will be, probably, 10Mbps. I don't know when this will be, but probably no more than 5 years from now. So, I suppose this modem would not be good anymore and I would need to donate it to someone living outside the city centre (where I live), because it's supported speed would be lower than what I would have.

>The new modem:
>ADSL Data Rates: 24 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream
>>
>>1048010
I don't know. I guess I have too much time on my hands and the pack is a bit old now. It's fading and things. It was just an idea really. It indeed is a nice pack, thanks anon.
>>
>>1048034
Have you at least checked this? I checked now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waxed_cotton#Maintenance
This technique requires annual maintenance. I would not do it, as I don't even wash my backpack anually.

If your backpack is old, be aware that the strips that support it on your back could be near rupture. I used my backpack for 4 years, then paid a dressmaker to change the tires. It was almost the cost of a new backpack, but this way there was less waste. I've being using for more 3 years now, and it will not rupture yet.
>>
>>1048040
No structurally it's sound. It's just looks beaten. But I guess that has a certain appeal to it these days anyway. Thanks for the help anon
>>
File: IMG_20160902_172015.jpg (943KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160902_172015.jpg
943KB, 1456x2592px
I'm trying to fix an old mechanical keyboard that has keys that randomly start and stop working on it. All the keys that weren't functioning properly are fixed by filling a small crack in the PCB with solder, but one key, the Z key still doesn't work, and the keyboard doesn't type "Z" even if I short circuit the solder joints of the key.
Is it possiblethat this small scratch is the cause of this, and if there's anything I can do to test and fix it.
>>
File: 20160902_165554.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_165554.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Hey /diy/nosaurs. I have a neon sign that is acting up. It was flicking on and off rhythmically about .5 seconds on, .5 seconds off. Figured it was a capacitor so I opened up the power supply and looky there! Mr. Capacitor leaked all the magic fluid that makes him work. So I need to order some new ones.

So my question to you is, are these AC or DC capacitors? How can I tell???? THANKS!
>>
>>1048051
How these cracks appeared?
>>
>>1048057
http://www.acdc.com/
[spoiler]Seriously, you only needed to Google this shit. Take it: http://www.electrotechnik.net/2015/02/what-is-difference-between-ac-and-dc.html [/spoiler]
>>
>>1048058
I really don't know, I put the keyboard in storage for a year or so. It was working fine when I put it there, but when I took it out to use it with an old PC I acquired, I noticed that random keys in the lower left hand corner stopped working. The keyboard was in rough but working condition when I got it, so it's a possibility that it was damaged before I even got it, since I didn't have it apart before this.
>>
>>1047563
I've read. The image OP posted on that thread is wrong, its one to plug a PS/2 male on a DIN-5 female. What I need is the reverse, a DIN-5 male on a PS/2 female.

I can just use just a DIN-5->PS/2 adaptor and forget about USB, but, as there is some kind of BERG connector inside the keyboard, wouldn't be better to replace the entire cable altogether?
>>
>>1048099
>The image OP posted on that thread is wrong
Yes, but down a bit others explain how they successfully accomplished what you asked about:
Keyboard -to Passive AT-PS/2 adapter -to Good PS/2-USB adapter -to Computer

>replace the entire cable
If you have one available, it would make a 'neater' adaptation.
The protocol is compatible but the pinout on the berg connectors (could) be different.
Make sure the PS/2 pins go to the correct pin on the keyboard berg and you'd negate the need for one adapter.

I'm interested in this because I'm still considering getting out my Tandy keyboard.
>>
>>1043533
Has anyone bought anything from CPO outlets? They've got new and referb shit, and the prices aren't awful. Is the referbs good?
>>
>>1045474
If you're going to glue, get it as close to flush as possible, putty the gaps and sand it flush.
>>
>>1047933
looks like one of those clear acrylic charms just put on a stand
>>
>>1048128
>CPO outlets?
I needed a smaller lipo drill for light duty stuff when I didn't really need to lug a bigger drill around.
I bought a 12v Ryobi drill with charger and battery for a great price.
It looked new and hasn't given me any problems.

Would buy from them again.

Also bought from Blinq at great price and best customer service.
>>
>>1048079
The scratch seems to have damaged 5 tracks of the board. I can't see much fine, as these cameras can't focus very nice when too near, but you should inspect the tracks with a magnifying glass.
>>
>>1048182
Thanks anon. My old man mentioned them as being "good," but he's also a guy who says that Black & Decker from Walmart is "good."
>>
>>1048051
If you think the tracks are broken (scratched through) just scrape the coating next to each side of the break and put a drop of solder as a bridge across the break.

You could always do a continuity check to see if the scratch actually breaks the circuit.
>>
>>1048184

Look at Blinq to see if they have what you are looking at on CPO.
I always push Blinq because of their fantastic customer service.
Bought "Ryobi ONE+ 18-Volt Lithium-Ion ULTIMATE 6-Piece Combo Kit" from them.
One of the batteries didn't act right.
They refunded me more than enough to go to HD and buy a replacement battery.
>>
>>1048188
>and I didn't have to return the defective battery
>>
>>1048188
CPO wondering guy, unfortunately they don't have what I want BUT they seem to have a bunch of replacement parts for shit I have. Thanks for the heads up Anon.
>>
Are these kinds of locks legal in western countries? Why are they non-existent?
>>
>>1048496
Electronic locks are generally legal.
The reason they are so uncommon is that they are either incredibly expensive compared to a high quality traditional lock or shoddily built/insecure, usually both.
>>
What brand of angle grinder should i get? Budget is like 50-80 usd use is some plumbing and light stuff around the house
MAYBE MAYBE light granite work cutting/polishing
>>
>>1048635
See if popular mechanics has a review or something. That's how I found my orbital sander. Not the same thing I know but it could help.
>>
>>1048496
Because it would cost me a lot of money to make loads of keys to break into your house.
It would cost me nothing to try 5-10 maybe more combinations every day I walk past your house and then when I got it right after 2 years of trying (or once if I watched just watched you type it in) and burgled your house there would be no evidence of forced entry and your insurance wouldn't pay out
>>
>>1048670
>there would be no evidence of forced entry and your insurance wouldn't pay out

So if I pick the lock and take your shit your insurance won't pay?
>I can lock it back while I'm leaving...
>>
How do you deal with fucked up screws?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
I want to create an LED resin wooden table with a similar design to the Treasure Table, pic related.
I however don't know how to recreate this porous effect.
Any ideas?
>>
File: 1472683857421.jpg (292KB, 1596x1192px) Image search: [Google]
1472683857421.jpg
292KB, 1596x1192px
>>1048809
>>
File: what.jpg (409KB, 958x980px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
409KB, 958x980px
hey /diy/

Just picked up an old Philips D6350 from a boot sale for £1 - but no power chord (and I don't have 6 C cell batteries spare). Any idea what power cable this is?
>>
>>1048902
The cable is probably IEC 60320-1 C7.
>>
>>1048902
Isn't this just a basic "figure 8" power cable?
>>
>>1048904
>>1048905
Literally had no idea what to search for. Thanks lads, I hope it actually works.
>>
File: 2003_0115welder_outlet0009.jpg (123KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2003_0115welder_outlet0009.jpg
123KB, 640x480px
I have a socket like this and a plug like this. Are these made to work with each other?

The plug is on my welder and the socket is on the generator im thinking about buying. They dont make generators with the exact same socket.
>>
There is no carpentry general and I have a question. I live in a apartment and have no tools, no hacker space available, no muneys, barely enough energy and nothing to do anything. An anon suggested I got into woodcarving and I think that is a good idea because I can get some good wood that falls of trees in my university. But I'd need a knife. What kind of knife should I look for?
>>
>>1048921
Yes, but you should check to see if the generator's power output to see if it works with your welder. A plug mismatch is a trivial problem and only exists as an attempt of idiot-proofing.
>>
File: laf.jpg (225KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
laf.jpg
225KB, 500x364px
>>1048900
>these weird ass screws designed to make people miserable
>>
>>1048927
Yes, the generator is 8000 watts and they recommend at least 6500. The generator is also clean power at 5% and the recommended is 10%.
>>
>>1043673
Figure 8 fasteners
>>
>>1048926
>But I'd need a knife. What kind of knife should I look for?

You should look for the kind that comes up when you google "wood carving knife"

>>1048926
>some good wood that falls of trees in my university

That dead wood falling off trees is going to be 'great' for carving.
>>
>>1048955
It is not dead. Heavy winds, and being loaded with bromeliads filled with water makes healthy wood fall. Are you angry? Who rustled you jumbos anon? There are no "wood carving knives" in my country and I won't waste 50 dollars shipping one, that is why I asked the kinds of knife most people use so I can look for one that has the best traits.
>>
File: IMG_7935.jpg (133KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7935.jpg
133KB, 640x480px
Not sure if I posted this before, my grand mothers 50s ranch house is having some major efflorescence issues in the basement.
The house is about 5' concrete wall until earth level then 2' brick coursing to the the first floor. Along two sides of the house (under chimney stack, and under concrete steps) is major mortal crumbling, with minor cases all along the rest of the basement.

Does this involve re pointing outside mortar as well as inside? Is this a job best left to pros? She also has a crack in the concrete foundation wall that leaks during heavy rains
>>
File: IMG_7931.jpg (122KB, 400x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7931.jpg
122KB, 400x640px
>>1048961
and the chimney from outside
>>
>>1044607
Then it does work. The varistor should work as protection for over voltage.
>>
Ok this is getting confusing.

I have a welder that will do 140 amps on 240v. The welder recommends a 6500 watt generator for 240v.

The generator I was thinking about buying will trip if it goes over 30 amps. The math says that a 8000 watt generator will do 33 amps on a 240v.

Why would my welder recommend a 6500 watt generator then?
>>
>>1046753

If you are comfortable with a keyboard do anything to be able to keep using it. Transitioning to a new one is a PITA. The DIN->PS2/USB converter should cost a couple of bucks.

Just pull all the keys and clean them, vacuum the inside (or blow it out if you have compressed air) and reassemble.
>>
File: 2440149734.png (60KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
2440149734.png
60KB, 800x800px
>>1048958
>>670505
> Some friendly suggestions for posting:
> - First ask Google, then ask /diy/. Your question will probably be better received if you do so.
>>
File: iipsrv[1].jpg (49KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
iipsrv[1].jpg
49KB, 480x480px
How does one know go about matching stain color when you don't know what the original was?

I have a desk that's (according to the website) made of acacia wood and colored "ash grey." I'd like a put together a monitor stand, but I don't want to color to be so far off that it looks stupid.

Ideally, I wouldn't have to buy every stain/wood combo imaginable to trial and error it.
>>
>>1048183
>>1048185
There was this one crack that was on a relatively large track that I just removed the coating on and placed a bit of solder on. This fixed all of the broken keys except for the "z" key. I ended up following the traces that were attached to the z key's switch to see where they lead to, and I did a continuity test on from the lead on the switch to some solder joints on the track, and I found out that only one of them seemed to have been damaged.

I did some experimenting with a wire to find out what point on corresponded to the z key, and then I soldered in a wire to bridge the points.

It's not necessarily a clean fix, but it will do.
>>
>>1049150

Good for you. Glad you got it going.
>>
>>1049133
Take a removable part of the desk (drawer?) and a piece of the wood you intend to use for the stand to a paint store. (Sherwin Williams?)
They match stains as well as paint and do it daily.
They'll even test their recommended stain on your board to verify how it's going to look.
>>
>>1048996
Great. But how are you sure it works? It's 12 years old. It could not work anymore!
>>
>>1049007
>The DIN->PS2/USB converter should cost a couple of bucks.
I searched on an online store and found that there is a shop in my city with hundreds of DIN5->PS/2 new passive adaptors and that is giving them for free. I will go there at 5 september.

>vacuum the inside (or blow it out if you have compressed air) and reassemble.
Static energy, bad idea. I will use a brush.
>>
>>1049160

There's one in town. Thanks!
>>
>>1049027
It's not needed to ask Google. You can also ask better search sites, like DuckDuckGo.
>>
>>1049027
>>1049185
Take the stick ou tof your asses you mongrels. And for the question, I have found that small, single bevel curved blades work best for me.
>>
>>1049252
>I have found that small, single bevel curved blades work best for me.

See, you didn't need to shitpost here in the first place...
>>
>>1049253
I'm not the person who asked the question halfwit. Just forgot to quote the guy. And his question is better than container threads and "tiny underground container pallete housing"
>>
>>1049259
>no IDs
>forgot to quote the guy
>call me a halfwit

sounds about right...
>>
If my laptop battery is 4400mah. Would it be possible to nigger rig something up so I could use one of those usb battery banks to charge it. I have my eye on one that is 60000mah. This is the charger I currently have. www.amazon.com/dp/B00DAON2KS
>>
>>1049354
>usb battery banks to charge it
Can you charge your laptop from a USB port?
battery bank USB port is 5v
your charger is probably 19v
>>
File: 159_004[1].jpg (123KB, 1020x780px) Image search: [Google]
159_004[1].jpg
123KB, 1020x780px
I'd like to gouge out a hole in a hardwood rifle stock to fit my own rifle. Will a dremel be able to handle it? The wood is beech if that matters.
>>
>>1049529
The dremel will probably work. If you're just reaming out an existing hole to a different size, you'll need a reamer which will not fit in the dremel.

What you should do is get an appropriate size drill bit, make the hole, then insert a collet (use brass, steel will rot the wood) to act as a tunnel for the action's retaining screw.
>>
>>1049529
What hole are you talking about? An action screw hole? If so anon has it right, but I've never heard of steel rotting wood.
>>
>>1049548
>>1049544
It's more like a slot. I want to widen and deepen it in order to fit the receiver better.
>>
Are harbor freight vises any good?

They have a 25% off coupon for labor day.
>>
>>1049548
Well the problem comes with steel oxidizing (rust) and speeding up the rate at which the wood rots, even if its been treated and oiled. Its why some of the nicer rifles of yesteryear and even modern wood implements (knives mostly) use a brass plate between the steel and the wood. Brass, while it oxidizes does not rust and hold in the moisture to rot the wood. An easy example of this is many old rifles used brass butt plates instead of steel. However in the past, brass was more expensive than steel, hence why many just didn't do it. Nowadays, brass is more expensive and wood is rarely used.

>>1049560
So you want to widen the receiver area of the stock to drop in the action?
>>
>>1049563
Yes, exactly. I want to widen the receiver slot to drop the action in.
>>
>>1049564
Yeah I mean you can fuck it up and hack it out until the action fits in, or your can do it right with a mill or drill press and endmill bit.

Or just buy a new stock meant for your action.
>>
>>1049564
It can be done, but not like you're talking. >>1049565 is right, if you try it without some inletting screws, inletting black, a couple of chisels (or VERY VERY FUCKING CAREFULLY with a dremel, but NOT advised!), and some practice inletting, you're probably going to fuck it up. If it's that different of a stock, you're probably going to have other issues as well: barrel channel, any sort of bolt recess, safety recess, trigger group inletting... A dozen things, really. Look it all over again anon, and decide if it's worth it. Basically, I'm telling you nicely to listen to the other anon. You'll fuck it up.

>>1049563
Interesting. I believe you, yet have two "issues." 1) My gut tells me the decomposition takes some time, years probably, and on a non-heirloom firearm it may not matter, though it may as well, I'm just not sure. 2) I'm going with the brass buttplates had more to do with looking pretty and showing the class of the owner than stopping decomposition. They're easier to inlet, too. Cheers anon; you seem to know your shit, and it's nice to have someone here that knows a little about this stuff.
>>
Can I use ratchet straps/clamps to replace proper wood clamps?
>>
>>1049628
Yeah, it takes a bunch of time and it actually has to get wet like they did in wartime. Its not simply a metal-on-wood contact that causes the rot and deterioration, but steel rusting against wood after getting wet causing rapid rot. See the old mosin nagants with rotted buttplate screws and butts. Its why the buttplates are usually replaced in the refurb process.
>>
>>1049175
That's hard to know, because if you test a varistor it will blow up. But I wouldn't be worry about it, it's pretty hard those things fails.
>>
>>1049747
OK. If the varistor doesn't works, the thing will simply don't do anything other than passing energy?
>>
>>1049150
Great, it's good that the solution was as simple as making a new "track" of wire.
>>
>>1048057
Pretty sure DC
>>
>>1048496
Because it's too expensive that I would be afraid someone stole my lock
>>
File: DSC_0321.jpg (391KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0321.jpg
391KB, 1440x2560px
>>1043599

This is plain rosin. Put it between two pieces of paper and crush it into a fine powder. Then put it in a jar and add a small amount of isopropyl alcohol, acetone would probably work too. Stir well and you now have a liquid flux appropriate for actual use! Others have explained how to actually use it.

>pic related, it's my flux. Used too much IPA but it works well nonetheless
>>
Has anyone got an idea on how to power a breadboard with a lab bench power supply? I thought about buying something like pic related, but I am not sure if they would fit in the breadboard holes
>>
>>1050246
Paper clips with wires wrapped around them
>>
>>1044121
Kek, typical cat owner
>>
I have a crappy plastic box (ABS) with some shit painted on. I have no idea about the paint used, but I assume it's probably some cheap shit.
I want to remove the old paint and repaint it.
What kind of solvent can get rid of most basic paints?
>>
>>1050288
paint solvents dissolve plastic faster than they remove paint
>>
>>1050288
This.

Just re paint it over teh paint or sand it with light grit sand paper and than paint.
>>
>>1048961
So sorry to hear about your grandmother's leaking crack anon. I hear that's common with age and a lack of maintenance.
>>
File: art.office.sweat.gi.jpg (24KB, 292x219px) Image search: [Google]
art.office.sweat.gi.jpg
24KB, 292x219px
>>1049529
>>1049544
>>1049548
>>1049560
>>
File: IMG_0986.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0986.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Anyone know of the best way to get ethernet to computer a good distance away from the modem? The two methods I've found through cursory research are either ethernet over power or dropping the actual line down through a neighboring wall. Preferably I could install an actual outlet.
>>
>>1050545
Go corded and never look back.
>>
>>1050559
It's really that much of a difference? The only thing stopping me from going full DIY electrician is the thought that I'd hit something important and/or make the wall look really shitty.
>>
Is there a way to make a spring gain more tension? I have an old receiver, and the dial cord string is attached to a spring, and it keeps loosing tension, which doesn't allow it to move.
>>
>>1050573
The short answer is: no

Basically a spring loses its springyness through compression and release cycles. Generally, this is through aging and use. Replacement is your only option.
>>
I wanted to post the progress of a project I'm doing for my friend's 18th birthday but it's a knife. It's not a functional weapon, it's just decorative. It's a dirk I'm making out of mulberry. Would mods delete my thread if I posted it? I've been posting updates to my snapchat story because I have other friends who are interested in the projects I'm doing, but the friend in question has me on snapchat and I don't want to spoil his gift for him. Posting it on here would allow people who know a little more to give pointers and it would probably help in making it the best I can do.
>>
>>1050618
Knife threads are common here.
>>
>>1043533
Hey guys if you have only 3 states (A, B, C) and you assign them values for Q1 and Q0 (A = 00, B = 01, C = 10), what will happen to the undefined outputs with input 11 in the K-map? Do you just ignore them like they're 0?
>>
>>1050709
Karnaugh maps relate inputs to outputs.
' states ' is arbitrary
If a b and c are outputs then you need three maps, one for each output.
If A is high when q1 and q0 are low your map will look like this with q1 on the x and q0 on the y or vice versa
X01
Output is 1 when inputs are 0, otherwise outputs are 0
>>
>>1050735
I finally got it. The problem I was having was that I had my inputs x1 and x0 had their places switched. Before that I was pulling my hair out trying to figure if I did something wrong in my state diagram, truth table, kmaps, or my HADES circuit.
>>
Calling all welders since there are so many on this board and I don't really know where else to ask (/adv/ is fucky on my side and I don't know why).

>be nearly done with welding school
>have internship and likely job lined up at stainless steel TIG place that builds equipment for maple syrup producers
>talking right out of my ass here but suspect I'll get laid-off late spring since their rush will be over
>no worries about it, job market is good, all of my employers I've had in my life loved me and I'm not picky plus I'd like to travel for a month or two
>figured out I might take that as an opportunity to try different sectors of the industry

So I was just looking for opinions about the different welding "specialties", especially steel structure building. I love TIG to bits but I wouldn't mind switching to other processes. Boilermaker is out of the question for now though, I'd need additional qualifications and frankly I don't think I'd like it anyway.
>>
File: main_CW150.jpg (105KB, 700x544px) Image search: [Google]
main_CW150.jpg
105KB, 700x544px
I found a sweet deal on a little inverter, but it only has a cigarette adapter and an airplane adapter. I've been looking for a plug or adapter that would let me go from either of those to a battery. Or if there is a opposing plug for the airplane adapter that I could splice some alligator clips to.
>>
>>1051085
What you'll want to do is cut the cable, and use banana plugs. From the banana plugs, you can attach the original plug, or a pigtail to battery or alligator clips.
>>
>>1051090

Yeah, but I didn't want to cut up the inverter itself.
>>
>>1050962
What country? Canada? Take a look through weldingweb forums or maybe even the welding subreddit. There's heaps out there, far too much to list. For structural work take a look at this guy's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1a8Q55q3mjLQPtT0FcfiwA

It's mostly going to by some sort of flux-cored, Metal-cored, MIG type process. Really hot and heavy work.
>>
>>1051108
>cut the cable
>I don't want to cut the inverter
SO YOU CUT THE CABLE
>>
>>1050246
The ends of those cables are hooks. You hook them to wires.
>>
File: concrete floats.png (1MB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
concrete floats.png
1MB, 1200x800px
My 40yo bikes carburetor started leaking recently from the air intake, so i took it apart and found out that the brass float was squished. I used a needle to fix the float and then sealed the poking holes with chemical metal. But it's still leaking... could the chemical metal be to heavy to float? I used about 2.5 grams for the sealing
>>
File: 48-1445[1].jpg (21KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
48-1445[1].jpg
21KB, 600x450px
>>1051167
float is probably fine - if it floats
replace the needle and seat and adjust the float level
>>
>>1051167
Use solder and not much of it.
>>
File: endless-spring.gif (509KB, 412x240px) Image search: [Google]
endless-spring.gif
509KB, 412x240px
Anyone with spring knowledge out there?

Looking for easy to find springs to make one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIyeM82ct0
>>
Hello there!
I have a project for which I'm going to need the purest iron I can find. I'll need a relatively thin (about 1 mm) square iron sheet (about 20 square cm/ 8 square inches.) and an iron rod of about 5mm diameter.
Is it absurd to aim for 99.9% purity or could it be treated in some way that prevents it from oxidizing all the while keeping the purity?
Also, would you recommend smelting iron powder or could I manage by using scrap metal?

I'm a real newbie in metal working.Thanks for your help.
>>
>>1051730
Low-carbon steel and wrought iron are extremely close to being pure iron and are pretty easy to find.
>>
>>1051735
You're right, wrought iron should do the trick. Thank you. I hadn't even thought about it...
>>
>>1051167
solder would be a better repair, more liquid proof and oil resistant than what you're using.
>>
File: WP_20160910_19_11_42_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160910_19_11_42_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
How the fuck are you meant to connect wires to jumper cables? Or how do you make it so you can plug stranded wire into a breadboard directly? I've been using terminal connectors like in pic related but i keep running out of them.
>>
>>1052355
I'd just cut in half and splice jumper wires as needed.
>>
>>1047933
They're called Chinese cartoons. You make them by being a gook.
>>
>>1048900
Or just use a hacksaw.
>>
cow-orker thinks they're AvE. It's really annoying. How do I get them fired and/or incarcerated?
>>
File: image.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
Can I insulate my house with cotton candy?
>>
File: Untitled-1 copy.jpg (124KB, 1779x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
124KB, 1779x1056px
>>1043533
Hey woody-doodlers.
Is this kind of finger joint ever used, and is it feasible to make with only a drill, hand tools, and patience?
Does it have a different name when the fingers overshoot into another piece of wood like that?
>>
File: 140994639622.jpg (7KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
140994639622.jpg
7KB, 220x220px
>>1052635
Get out of here, you cannibalistic witch!
>>
File: Photo on 9-11-16 at 2.21 PM.jpg (125KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 9-11-16 at 2.21 PM.jpg
125KB, 1080x720px
>steel respray
How much paint do you have to take of steel before priming and repainting? I'm rebuilding an old 1970s bicycle that I found in a field (pic related). I used quite a lot if the Aircraft solvent but the results have been patchy - the grey is steel, the pink is original primer and red is paint. Do I need to get down to bare metal or just get the surface far enough down to old primer that the surface is relatively smooth? I imagine that painting over a "chipped" texture will look bad.
>>
>>1052973
brush-on gel paint remover
>>
>>1052973
You could paint over old paint and primer, but the big gamble is if the new paint will stay on, look decent, or flake off and look like shit in 1 month.

A paint remover like citrustrip will work if you want to use a chemical. Otherwise, get some steel wool and stroke those tubes down to bare steel. Bonus points if you have an angle grinder or bench grinder and get a wire wheel.

Either way, mechanical removal of the paint will be necessary.
>>
>>1043660
Just take a clear sheet of plastic that remains flat (not saran wrap) and use a ruler to make a grid. Tape this to the photo, and then scale up on the plywood.
>>
File: 1470692681278.jpg (350KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1470692681278.jpg
350KB, 768x1024px
>>1052811
Kek
>>
>>1043673
You do screw and glue tabletops directly to legs/base. Just look closely at every table you've ever seen - particularly the most solid.

They need to be as rigid as possible.

Just look at some.

Glass añd wood do not expand at the same rate, so some wiggle room and is necessary, but sealed with glazer's putty
>>
>>1045474
Joinery is more difficult the more pieces you join, and the less uniform the pieces are.

Your best bet is to hire someone who knows what they're doing for an attractive desk
>>
>>1045673
Rope caulk is super cheap.
>>
File: IMG_05101.jpg (540KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_05101.jpg
540KB, 2048x1536px
I'm looking at buying a used popup camper made by Four Wheel Campers. These things are usually quite expensive and sought after, and since this one is pretty cheap and has been sitting for a while I'm suspicious it might be in terrible condition. I'll preface all this with saying I am not handy at all and probably asking some stupid questions.

The seller says it has two issues - rust on the outside latches and it needs a new headliner. If this is as simple as buying some RV ceiling fabric and attaching it on then that's fine, but if the insulation and ceiling are severely damaged then that's another thing.

Also is the rust on the latches probably not the only place that would be rusted? Right now I'm relying on the seller being honest and not wasting my time since I've told him I'm several hundred miles away.

I've been reading up on used campers (and this specific manufacturer) on other forums, but any input here would be appreciated.

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/rvs/5767922503.html

His previous listing is from 26 days ago and $1000 higher

Thanks
>>
>>1047923
1) use double boiler to melt wax
2) rub molten wax into fabric
3) you will never get in every crevice, so will not be perfect
4)?????
5) profit
>>
>>1053038
Just looking at the corrosion on the galvanized metal, rust on those deadbolts, its likely the guy took it to the ocean all the time. Ocean weather eats away materials. They're probably okay to use for a few more years, but replacing them will be your best bet against failure and unsightliness.

Headliner material is relatively cheap, and you don't necessarily need to be going back with fabric, you can go back with a rigid material like 1/4" paneling.

RVs, campers, boats, laborday toys, and the like are all huge money pits. Just be ready to put a lot of TLC, elbow grease, and some money just to maintain the thing year after year even if you don't use it for camping.
>>
>>1053050

Ok, that's the sort of stuff I'm worried about.

I made a separate thread

>>1053041

And was advised that all the maintenance like this could add up to make it not worthwhile. I am looking at these empty shells to avoid sinking money into electrical, plumbing etc but it looks like just keeping it free of rots and leaks could enough time/money in itself. Thanks for the advice
>>
Which trade requires the most skill (problem solving/technical work) but also isn't too physically demanding?

Thinking long-term, a trade seems a lot better than being bound to an office, regardless of the pay difference (post-STEM degree).
>>
BUMP LIMIT REACHED

NEW THREAD CREATED:
>>1053634
>>1053634
>>1053634
>>1053634
>>1053634
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.