[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's actually wrong with xkcd?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 48

File: steal_this_comic.png (44KB, 498x469px) Image search: [Google]
steal_this_comic.png
44KB, 498x469px
Upon rereading, I find it easy to agree that xkcd usually sucks and that it's often only good for the odd few times where Randall really nails it and makes some sort of good point (pic related is one such example), but generally speaking, why does it suck?

All that comes to my mind is that it isn't funny, which isn't so bad because I often don't think that it's even trying to be funny, and that Randall often senselessly expects you to get whatever references he's making, which is a point that I can't as easily forgive.
>>
>>95350218
randall is a moron with the ego of a genious who is perpetually stuck in the early 2000s online atheist movement because thats the last time he felt any sorth of fufillment
He doesnt have any actual insight you cant get by watching the last trendy flick with some popcorn and a little bit of booze, why dont they allow drinking at the movies?
>>
>>95350271
/thread
>>
>>95350271
>ego of a genious
I disagree. Heck, most of the Cueball comics are nothing but Randall demonstrating that he is aware that he is a creature of pure autism.

>He doesnt have any actual insight you cant get by watching the last trendy flick with some popcorn and a little bit of booze
Totally disagree. Are you from /tv/ or something? You must be watching much better movies than what I've been.
>>
>>95350271
Risk management
>>
XKCD is an actually solid comic that is misinterpreted by people who don't understand it and assume it's simpler minded than it is.

>>95350299
>Heck, most of the Cueball comics are nothing but Randall demonstrating that he is aware that he is a creature of pure autism.

Yes, it's this self awareness that comes across as being honest, but which people take to be him gloating about his perceived superiority instead.

>Randall often senselessly expects you to get whatever references he's making
Yes, he expects the reader to be educated in STEM. If you aren't than it's not aimed specifically at you.
>>
>>95350395
>Yes, he expects the reader to be educated in STEM. If you aren't than it's not aimed specifically at you.
I knew that I should've brought this up in the OP. Even despite being in the third year of my maths degree, I still don't think much of xkcd.
>>
>>95350218
The dudes a 100% pretentious cunt and this comes across in XKCD. The only comics with any merit are the ones using objective fact(s) and even then not all of them, anything subjective shows just how much of an asshole he really is.

>>95350395
You are giving him way WAY too much credit.
>>
>>95350412
Even stupid people are allowed to pay their way through school
>>
Wtf is DRM and when does it ever get in the way?
I don't ever remember having trouble getting a song from iTunes and putting it on another mp3 player

What's the actual technical difference in a file that's with DRM and not and what does it even do?
>>
>>95350450
Or make webcomics.
>>
>>95350271
fpbp
>>
>>95350459
Data Rights Management, look it up.
>>
>>95350459
How new are you?
>>
>>95350218
It's not like CDs and books are still a thing. Why do neckbeards want to justify piracy? I don't advocate for eradicating it, imo it will always happen. But you don't have a right to own stuff you filthy commies.
>>
He has no sense of comedic timing. There's usually some good joke in his strip, but it's buried beneath tons of unneccessary exposition, misplaced setups and other garbage.
>>
>>95350501
I know what it is
>A digital rights management policy will usually embed code within these digital media to prevent copying.
I'm saying that has never worked for me

What actually happens if you try to copy? Is it encrypted?
>>95350517
I definitely don't buy digital copies of games and that's the only media with DRM that anyone gets a fit about on 4chan
>>
>>95350459
Comes in a lot of different flavours. Some are fairly benign, like Steam - with Steam, should Valve suddenly vanish from the face of the earth, a lot of people would have lot access to games they had legally paid for. But that's unlikely to happen and Steam is really chill about letting you move computers or even accounts.
Some is more extreme - you get one (1) copy. If your computer should die tomorrow, tough luck. You are not legally allowed to copy the program that you legally paid for to another computer. This sort of thing you usually need to register online before you can use it (Microsoft Windows).

In a lot of cases, you don't actually own the thing you bought. You're essentially just leasing it.
>>
File: 2019289.png (8KB, 533x463px) Image search: [Google]
2019289.png
8KB, 533x463px
A webcomic about love.
>>
>>95350649
>Buy a book
>House burns down, taking book with it
>Company doesn't send me a free book to replace it
Fucking physical DRM.
>>
>>95350725
>physicall DRM
>Not PRM
Embarrassing.
>>
>>95350560

If you bought something, you definitely have the right to own the thing you bought.
>>
>>95350876
Now a days its more like a lease with a 1 time fee. That's why you should read the terms and conditions.
>>
>>95350876
>he thinks companies care about consumer rights
>>
>>95350271
>why dont they allow drinking at the movies?
They do. What kind of lame theaters do you go to? All the theaters around me, including major chains like Regal, serve beer and wine after 5 PM.
>>
>>95350957
Holy shit. Where do you live!?
>>
>>95350970
Oregon? I thought this was normal.
>>
>>95351007
I've never seen that anywhere. There are theaters that sell liquor near me, but those are very special places. Chain theaters like Regal or AMC? Fuck no.
>>
>>95350560
>It is now communist to think that a person should have ownership over the thing they bought with their money that they worked to earn
Wew lad
>>
>>95351073
DIfferent anon, just outside of Boston here. Big chain theaters won't because you need a liquor license and MA has weird laws, but the smaller or indie theaters always have a bar in the lobby.
>>
>>95350970
>>95351007
Well, you can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer. And in Paris, you can buy a beer at McDonald's. And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
>>
>>95350725

> Implying that the cost of distributing a file is remotely comparable with that of an actual book

Fuck off with your strawman argument anon, that's not even the scenario most of us are complaining about. The real issues with drm look more like

> Buy a book
> Would like to lend the book you paid full price for to a friend
> Fuck you, magic robot inside the book holds it shut unless it's you reading it

Another one looks something like

> Want to buy a book
> wtf I have to "subscribe" for a monthly fee!?
> Turns out the subscription fee is so that book automatically updates to new editions
> Not really interested in new editions, but whatever buy subscription anyways
> Wait until subscription costs exceed the cost of the actual book because I'm a moralfag
> Cancel subscription
> Book self-destructs
> FUCK

DRM needs to die
>>
>>95351130
>And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
رويال مع الجبن ?
>>
Are DRMs still a thing? I haven't really seen these on anything but ebooks lately.
>>
>>95350876
You should look up in the EULA to see what you actually bought. Because it's not what you think you bought. What you pay for when you buy software, any kind of software including games, regardless of what media it is purchased on or through, is a limited license to use that software, not the software per se.

When you buy Windows on a CD you don't own a copy of windows, you own a CD that gives you a license to use a specific version windows on a single machine. That is what you paid for. Similarly when you buy a video game you do not own the game, the game and all its intellectual property belong their respective copyright holders. What you own is a license to play that game on approved platforms.

Because of the nature of software, if you want to sell it as a consumable product it has to be leased to customers. You cannot "sell" the software itself without losing the rights to the source code, if you want proprietary rights to it and to continue making money off it, you have to lease it.
>>
>>95351154
>Not just sharing the account and password with your friend so the robot will open up
>Subscribing to a monthly fee for just one book

It's like you want me to call you stupid
>>
>>95351154
>>95351075

No one is forcing you to buy DRM things friend. In the examples given, you can still buy CDs and books, some audiobooks also have physical CDs. The only DRM thing only I know are Steam-only games. That's why you should support free DRM stores, instead of being a little bitch and torrenting them.
>>
>>95351193
>you can still buy CDs
Which are copyright protected and have DRM.
>>
>>95351130
if they served hrd licuor at the theater i would probably never leave
nowdays that movies keep failing and cinemas go out of buisness is downright moronic not to do it
you can get away with overcharging, hell once people are drunk enough they will pay for your expensive mark up candy you have to sell to stay afloat
>>
>>95350450
A math degree isn't a easy one, speaking as someone who knew a few who pursued that path. And it's literally the M in STEM.

Most STEMlords either didn't study it, or ended up dropping out and getting a degree in business administration.
>>
Nobody cares if you're right if you're gonna be smug about it.
>>
>>95351179
It's still very much a thing, but I think the video game industry is moving away from older models of it. Very slowly. Basically they have begun to realize what was obvious to everyone else 10 years ago: it is impossible to make un-crackable DRM. If you want players to be able to access the game at all, you need to have holes in your security, and pirates will eventually use those to bust the game wide open. It's just a matter of time. And the worst part is that people who legally purchased your game are stuck with the obnoxious DRM forever while pirates don't have to deal with it. DRM ultimately only punishes paying customers.

So what they've started doing is stopped trying to make "uncrackable" DRM and just use DRM that can delay the crack for about 1 month. Because most video game sales happen the first month after it is released. So they decided if the reality is they can't stop the crack they should just delay it for as much as is reasonable. And that's why Denuvo is a thing. They specialize in making hard-to-crack DRM that has pretty successfully delayed game cracks for up to 1 month or even longer.
>>
>>95351212
>Which are copyright protected
What? Of course they are, do you think because you payed 2 dollars you now own the rights of a song?
DRM that prevents you from accessing the content without their proprietary hardware, or while offline are the problem. Not DRM that prevents you from making copies.
>>
>>95351130
They serve wine and beer by the glass here. They have the bottles of wine on a rack behind the counter.
>>
>>95351193
I support Steam because it is superior while nonDRM stores rely on people like you to try to shame consumers into supporting them like a true bitch

Free market is a jungle
>>
>>95351274
>Not DRM that prevents you from making copies.
Go pick your favorite legally purchased music CD and try to copy the files off of it. You can't. You need burning software to pierce the DRM
>>
File: music_drm.png (38KB, 740x212px) Image search: [Google]
music_drm.png
38KB, 740x212px
>>95351179
>>
>>95350876
I mean, you do own the CD. You're free to sell that if you want.
>>
>>95351274
>do you think because you paid* 2 dollars you now own the rights of a song?
I think I own the right to listen to it as many times as I want for as long as I want.
>>
>>95351285
I like Steam too, and my point is that if you don't like DRM the Free market has an option for you already. You don't have to download shit for free like a leech.

>>95351294
Yes, and? Why would you need to make a copy? You bought just one.
>>
>>95351330
>Yes, and?
You just claimed CDs don't have DRM that prevents you from making copies, that's what. It's patently obvious you've never even tried copying a music CD before.
>>
>>95350395
>Yes, he expects the reader to be educated in STEM.

>You have to be a STEMfag to understand ball pits
>>
>>95351301
>i dont like music
was this written by a computer software of some sorth?
>>
>>95351301
I get the impression that Randall makes these comics only because no one pays attention to him in YT comment sections.
>>
>>95351323
Are you an idiot or just don't know what copyright means?
>Copyright is a legal right created by the law of a country that grants the creator of an original work exclusive rights for its use and distribution.
If you buy something you don't now have rights to distribute it or use it as your own. Of course here is where fair use enters.
>>
>>95350669
Enjoy your ban.
>>
>>95351349
Fuck, are you being obtuse on purpose? Go back to OP. Randall and all the other 'I have a right to pirate shit' crow argue that because something is DRM locked someday you will be unable to access it because of technology changes or the distributor just stops working. Nothing to do with copying.
CDs work offline, even if the company who sold it to you goes out of business you can still have your collection because CDs are pretty standardised technology even now (and even when they stop, you really should have kept a CD player with your CD collection). So pirating because you feel like you don't own what you payed for is retarded, there are still ways you can own what you paid for.
>>
>>95351438
It's not really about DRM, it's about whether you can download it. Believe me, if the world suddenly exploded and the only backup copies of media we had were DRM locked DVDs, Steam games, proprietary Ebooks and Spotify backups, we would manage just fine. Someone would reverse engineer the format and defeat the protection in about 3-4 months, assuming backups of the existing ways to do so weren't also available for some reason.

If you're worried about the apocalypse, get yourself MakeMKV, ffmpeg, a cracked Steam DLL, an Ebook decryptor, Despotify, AAXtoMP3 and whatever the fuck else you need, put them on a USB stick and you'll be fine.
>>
>>95351372
I'm talking about consuming the product I bought, not repackaging it under a different label label and selling it as if it were my own, you dumbass.

I mean, if we want things to be fair, then companies shouldn't use the money I gave them in exchange for their product. They should have to ask for my permission every time they want to spend an amount equal to what I paid for said product.
>>
>>95351501
>Someone would reverse engineer the format and defeat the protection in about 3-4 months
And then the companies would either have the guy arrested or hired. The former happened to the Pirate Bay people, the latter happened to moot.
>>
>>95351535
And I guess that's why there are no more crack groups working today. They've all been arrested or hired.
>>
>>95351535
Yeah, I don't think you'll have to worry about MPAA death squads if you're trying to archive media in a post-apocalyptic scenario or 200 years in the future. The worst case scenario would be some music/movie/book/whatever only being available in a no longer supported DRM format and the people owning it refusing to release it in a new one. In which case I don't think uploading the decryption program on the Pirate Bay next to the file itself is going to add an extra 50 years to your nonexistent sentence.
>>
File: 1494174794355.png (87KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
1494174794355.png
87KB, 400x280px
>>95351535
>comparing moronic weeaboo loser to actual software crackers
>>
>>95351191

Account sharing is against like 90% of TOSs, maybe you'd like to read one sometime?

As for the book thing, your response only confirms you weren't born with enough brain cells to understand analogy
>>
>>95350218
or you could just buy it on CD
>>
>>95351617
Anon, who do you think companies hire into their department for software security, if not the hackers that broke into it in the first place? It's just like Vegas hiring successful cheaters to spy on the other cheaters.
>>
>>95350395
that's some brilliant bait, anon.
>>
File: 5eb.jpg (26KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
5eb.jpg
26KB, 600x750px
>>95350395
>that is misinterpreted by people who don't understand it and assume it's simpler minded than it is.
>>
>>95351848
Top tier.
>>
>>95351357
>TFW no one ever believes me when I say I don't like music
>>
>>95352457
>>>/mu/
>>
>>95351007
It exists in Ohio, AMC has a bar and marcus, another chain, usually does too
>>
File: sony_microsoft_mpaa_riaa_apple.jpg (78KB, 600x492px) Image search: [Google]
sony_microsoft_mpaa_riaa_apple.jpg
78KB, 600x492px
>>
File: wtf_am_I_reading-spiderman.jpg (143KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
wtf_am_I_reading-spiderman.jpg
143KB, 544x400px
>>95353986
No, seriously. Is this some inside joke?
>>
>>95354120
He's standing on a glacier.
>>
>>95354259
But how do those two things connect? I have to believe there's some kind of tenuous strand of logic (however stupid) connecting glaciers to DRM, but I can't think of it and it's driving me mad.
>>
>>95354330
The connection is his threat to crush them with the glacier.
>>
File: hahahaFUCKYOU.jpg (10KB, 255x198px) Image search: [Google]
hahahaFUCKYOU.jpg
10KB, 255x198px
>>95354476
>>
>>95350218

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is better imo
>>
File: 20131117.png (167KB, 684x1010px) Image search: [Google]
20131117.png
167KB, 684x1010px
>>95354733
Wiener does tell some good dad jokes.
>>
>>95350218
It's just lowest common denominator "relatable" shit with %500 more smug pseudointellectualism.
>>
File: pttkkk.jpg (36KB, 324x326px) Image search: [Google]
pttkkk.jpg
36KB, 324x326px
If you go through many XKCD "comics" you find

Many don't have jokes of any sort
What passes for a joke is sometimes just a reference(References aren't jokes)
Graphs aren't jokes either
If an opinion is presented, it is condescending
TOO MANY WORDS
The same "jokes" are repeated over and over. You could make an XKCD joke generator by parsing conversations about Roombas, Planets, and random graphs and stitching them together.
Art is shit

The comic is given a pass because of its obscurity. This is funny to me because I get all of the XKCD "jokes", I simply don't find them funny. A bad joke about Topology is just a particular flavor of bad joke. It doesn't get a pass because it's about something obscure.
>>
>>95350218
His preachiness was acceptable when we agreed with him, but now that he's gone SJW, it's become grating.
>>
File: 1484834580624.jpg (13KB, 364x387px) Image search: [Google]
1484834580624.jpg
13KB, 364x387px
>>95350271
>randall is perpetually stuck in a time his beliefs were confirmed
>/co/ is perpetually stuck in a time thEY GOT TURNED INTO A PICKLEEEEEE!

It all makes horrid, horrid sense now.
>>
File: redrocket.jpg (85KB, 479x480px) Image search: [Google]
redrocket.jpg
85KB, 479x480px
>>95355111
Um, hey. Hi.

We're kind of...

oooooh... how should i put this?

Showing? You? The proverbial door? And we don't have to tolerate hatespeech on our comics and cartoon board?

Ouch. oh geez (rick) try not to let the door hit you on our ass on ur way out maybe???
>>
He needs to shut the fuck up about politics.

Like a lot of entertainers today.

That's about it.
>>
>>95355310
He is an entertainer in the same way that a SJW is a gentleman.
>>
>>95355161
Pretty much this. I didn't get why people hated xkcd but after the free speech and Hillary strips, I went "oh yeah that's why".
>>
>>95351182
Nobody is talking about buying the whole property you crony capitalist faggot. What people want is strict enforcement of the first-sale doctrine for ALL media, physical or digital.
>>
>>95350271
He's a NASA engineer.
>>
File: 840_1000.jpg (41KB, 422x750px) Image search: [Google]
840_1000.jpg
41KB, 422x750px
>>95355465
In 2017?
>>
>>95355465
yes, and?
being a nasa engenieer doesnt make you an expert on politics or biology or social interactions for that matter
if anything it just means he devoided a lot of time to one field of knowledge in particular
i wouldnt ask my psychatrist to take a look at thar rash i got in my balls, would you?
>>
>>95355465
One of the most incompetent meme "artists" works for one of the most incompetent meme organizations? Yeah I believe it.

NASA sucks. Working for it is about as prestigious as working for the DMV.
>>
>>95353986
>>95354120
>>95354259
>>95354330
>>95354476
>>95354512
Are you all actually fucking autistic? It's obviously a climate change joke.
>>
>>95355546
I would just to show xir my balls. That would make me laugh like mr.burns in that clip you dont know about since you came here for reddit and memey discussion lol
>>
File: 35456456467678.jpg (192KB, 700x939px) Image search: [Google]
35456456467678.jpg
192KB, 700x939px
>>95355586
Climate change is a joke.
>>
>>95355406
Yeah, exactly. Makes me wonder if we sound the same way to people who disagree with us.

After the free speech one I just stopped reading. Showed him to the door, if you will.

>>95355546
>i wouldnt ask my psychatrist to take a look at thar rash i got in my balls, would you?

Psychatrists are MDs, so if you're already seeing one, you might as well.
>>
File: 22.jpg (29KB, 640x519px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
29KB, 640x519px
>>95355586
Did you miss keys while typing since you posted something so HRC-like or are you just that dumb?
>>
>>95355589
sorry, i forgot that people who know math know literally everything randall
you should be a character in the big bang theory, thats where al the smarty folk go ha hya
>>
So what's his personal life like? For a guy that considers himself a witty humorist whose observations and opinions are good enough to share with the world he's bound to have his life together.

How's his kids?

How's his wife?
>>
>>95355724
You have failed to acknowledge the xir in question. Please leave until we put in place a system to keep you out
>>
>>95355792
What life?
>>
>>95355643
I actually think about that a lot and reverse the scenario just to be sure, I honestly wouldn't have minded him posting "vote Trump" or some MAGA shit, so that might just be me. I still think it's stupid to advertise either candidate when urging people to vote though, but whatever.

The free speech thing though is just flat out stupid. And it's exactly the kind of shit you'd expect from people who use "facts" when trying to argue. The whole point of asking for free speech is because you KNOW that it isn't being enforced by a law/rule/policy, and you WANT IT TO BE. Using "well it's not the government censoring you" is not even wrong, it's a complete nonsequitur. Literally fucking nobody says "the constitution has something called free speech therefore you not letting me speak is illegal". They're saying "the constitution has this thing AND SO SHOULD YOU, BECAUSE IT'S GOOD"
>>
>>95355792
>>95355823
Come on. He has to have a family right? He thinks he knows enough to tell other people what to think so he's got to have a good, happy, fulfilling life right?

He's not one of those leftists who think they know enough to change the world without having their life in order right?

Is his room even clean?
>>
>>95355612
What the hell is that picture? Is it Photoshopped or something? My eyes can't follow it.
>>
>>95355612
>>95356103
Oh, it's a bald man kissing a baby. Wow, that's one hell of an illusion.
>>
>>95356103
It's a bald man leaning over to kiss his baby.
It looks like a butt, but it isn't.
>>
>there's people in this thread in favor of DRM and proprietary/nonfree software
Kill yourselves.
>>
>>95351212
>>95351274
>>95351294
>>95351330
>>95351349
CDs do not have DRM, morons. Only DVDs and Blu-rays do.

That's why you can rip them with shit like WMP, whereas for DVDs for example you have to search high and low (cough) for software to do the job.
>>
>>95356336
And here's the real issue here: books, radio and TV broadcasts, CDs, cassettes, VHS, etc. Never had any sort of DRM and were easy to pirate and the entertainment industry didn't dissapear.
The entire "DRM is necessary guys. Sharing this content without our consent is serious business and should be compared with criminals that steal, murder and rape in the sea" is just corporate propaganda.
"Piracy" is a non-issue and the real purpose behind DRM and copyright lawyers is to grab customers by the balls.
>>
>>95350412
Just because you are part of the targetted audience, it doesn't mean you must like it.

Just saying "I don't like it" is fine.
>>
>>95356497
True, but I'd still like to know why it sucks. The few reasons that I'm aware of (see the OP) don't seem sufficient to explain it.
>>
>>95356491
Your absolutely right. It's amazing these giant corporations with lobbyists get to act the abused victim.

I'm fine with corporations arguing for DRM. It is after all in their self-interest. But can they atleast be honest about it? It's not about morality. It's not about fairness. It's not about those things anymore than modern copyright laws are. It's about maximizing profits.

And I'm fine with corporations trying to maximize their profits. But can they atleast be honest about it?

>>95356507
It sucks because its not funny. The writer simply isn't as charming or witty as he thinks he is and his observations are quick reflections rather than anything deep or profound.

He's about on the level of a Bazooka Joe comic but he thinks he's the internet age Oscar Wilde. And its that pretension that annoys people.
>>
>>95356491
Actually your argument literally works for the other side: the music industry is the only one that DID largely disappear, and a lack of DRM (or in the analog days, general ease of copying) can be considered a key factor.
>>
File: 1495836838162-co.jpg (17KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
1495836838162-co.jpg
17KB, 207x253px
>>95356582
>the music industry is the only one that DID largely disappear, and a lack of DRM (or in the analog days, general ease of copying) can be considered a key factor.
>>
>>95356645
No, I don't have a peer-reviewed study to link you to - though I wouldn't be surprised if there was one somewhere - but it's fucking obvious, man. People were so used to just trading music (obviously without paying) that they had to drop DRM from iTunes and soon after other digital services. Also so much music is made available for free, just with ads, on YouTube - how many TV shows or movies are?
>>
>>95356582
>the music industry is the only one that DID largely disappear
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7744268/riaa-us-music-industry-2016-revenue-double-digit-growth
Oh man, after two long, horrible decades of only SINGLE-DIGIT percent annual revenue growth, the music industry is now finally seeing DOUBLE-DIGIT revenue growth!

Wow, you're right. What massive international industry could possibly have hoped to survive on single-digit percent annual revenue growth!?
>>
>>95350957
>>95350970
I live in north carolina and we got a theatre about last year or the year before that serves beer and wine as well.
>>
>>95356794
Yeah, I have one as well in Colorado. But keyword is 'one'. Chain theaters that are everywhere don't serve any kind of liquor. That's what was amazing to me, the idea of a Regal with a bar.
>>
>>95356812
It's an AMC imax theatre. It's a chain.
>>
>>95356837
Still amazing to me. I have two AMCs within walking distance of me, one of which is an IMAX, and neither serve liquor.
>>
>>95356761
>>95356711
>>95356645
Yes. The Music industry has gone the way of the dinosaur. There are no multi-million dollar recording contracts and no superstars with enough money to buy countries.

Does it hurt having the DRM lobby's cock up your ass?
>>
>>95356880
They don't server liquor. Only beer and wine. I would love if they served liquor because I can't hold my beer/wine too well.
>>
>>95350218
I was a long time fan in high school but I've mostly stopped following it.
To me the constant 3 times a week killed it, he just ran out of ideas and then those ideas went into What-If, which was amazing.
post my favorite one
>>
>>95356889
Did you read my fucking post? - >>95356761
Do I really have to put fucking <sarcasm> brackets around it? I fucking said they make money hand over fucking fist, and I said it response to somebody defending DRM.

Faggot.
>>
>>95356711
And how is that "killing" the industry? Every year we have one-hit wonders. Every year we have thousands of new indie groups, as well as hundreds of new pop groups that sound exactly the same. Music industry is as healthy as ever.
It's been established that a. More exposure is good for artists (look at PSY. Absolutely nobody would know him outside of Korea if it wasn't for the free exposure) and b. A lot of the people that pirate stuff wouldn't buy it if it wasn't available anyways.
Corporations love to say "a million people downloaded Iron Man 3 via torrent, therefore we lost 8 million dollars" but the truth is that, if there wasn't any piracy, most of that million people wouldn't have seen it anyway because not everyone has unlimited money to buy all the media they want to see, so they wouldn't watch it because it's dogshit and would choose another movie instead. And this without taking into account the people that may want to see it in the future, when they no longer make money out of it, or the ones that due to location/economy couldn't be able to watch it anyway.
Most anime, for instance, never left Japan. So a 'murrican watching a fansub online means nothing to the studio since they wouldn't have given any money to them.
"Piracy" (a term that should dissapear since sharing media without permission isn't remotely similar to kidnapping, murdering, stealing and raping in a boat) is a non-issue in the real world and DRM is cancer, period.
>>
>>95350271
>ego of a genious

SAD TROMBONE.JPG
>>
>>95357016
Ultimately, this is all fairly pointless anyways. Piracy is going to exist because it's human nature to want shit without having to pay for it. Piracy will always exist, DRM will always be defeated, and if everybody stops making art because of that, someone will step up and do it because there's no art being made.

You can't accurately measure any of it with studies, and discussing this always turns into "well in an alternate universe where this complex chain of events happened fifty years ago". Who gives a shit about the how and the why. Piracy will always exist, DRM will always exist, and no amount of debate is going to change any of that.
>>
>>95356943
I was linking to the entire argument sperglord, not just you. I agree with you.
>>
File: 1367282624159.gif (1MB, 300x166px) Image search: [Google]
1367282624159.gif
1MB, 300x166px
>>95355579
>>
>>95355111
>The comic is given a pass because of its obscurity
>obscurity

hate to break this to you...
>>
>>95350395
Which just goes to show the ego of the average STEM autist, since nothing he's written about is hard for the average person to grasp.
>>
Is XDKC /ourcomic/? I've been looking for a webcomic to satisfy my intellectual urges ever since Rick and Morty engaged my neurons. Don't worry, I'vestdve got an IQ of 117 so I'm more than smart enough to understand the nuanced humor.
>>
>>95355465
'Engineer.' Yes, I suppose custodian could be transformed into 'waste sewage management engineer.'

>>95358342
He's right, though. For a prestigious space program in the strongest world power, they've made little to no progress in space travel itself. Oh sure. They've made relatively small discoveries with robotics and are always coming up with new theories in quantum physics, but that means jack squat if we're never going to use them. If NASA wants a real budget, then come up with a way to mine the asteroid belt or a valid reason to land people on Mars.

Anything. Instead they blow it on landing rovers on a comet, or getting Black Science Man (another meme) to do monologues.
>>
File: lLUb55K.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
lLUb55K.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>95359631
>>
>>95359646
>>95358342
The simple fact is that NASA can't compete in the free market. They have to have mommy government prop them up so they can continue to be fucking useless.

And when you call them on their bullshit its always back to fucking sixties and WE WUZ ON THE MOON. Resting on your laurels means jack shit.

NASA is so fucking incompetent they lost the Mars orbiter because they couldn't convert to metrics.

Remember Apollo 13? Remember Columbia? Remember Challenger?

Modern NASA is great at producing dead astronauts. The advancement of the human race? Not so much.
>>
>>95358342
NASA sucks. People that work for NASA suck.

They promise you if you just give a little more money to their tax dollar bonfire that they'll magically usher in a golden age of Star Trek technology with the power of their brains and hope.
>>
>>95351007
It's not. I didn't see beer sold at theaters until around 2007 in LA (and I'm guessing places had done it for awhile), and even though the trend is growing, there's only a single theater that sells beer where I live. Admittedly, it's real easy to sneak beer into a theater, so whatever.
>>
>>95358765
He meant obscurity as in its jokes not its popularity you illiterate retard
>>
File: turing_test.png (21KB, 320x394px) Image search: [Google]
turing_test.png
21KB, 320x394px
>>95359482
>since nothing he's written about is hard for the average person to grasp.
Bullshit, here's an example that I found just by hitting "random comic".
>>
File: moon_landing.png (37KB, 538x313px) Image search: [Google]
moon_landing.png
37KB, 538x313px
>>95359646
>>95359815
Related.
>>
File: nanobots.png (49KB, 740x251px) Image search: [Google]
nanobots.png
49KB, 740x251px
>>95359482
>>95360678
I'm going to resist the urge to keep hitting random and spam comics that the average user won't get, but really - if you were right, do you really think that Explainxkcd would exist?
>>
>>95360678
>>95360702
>>95360761
What's so hard? I'm not STEM, I understand all of those because I'm a nerd. The first one could easily be understood with a quick google search, and fucking everybody knows that NASA put a man on the moon.
>>
>>95351249
I'm guessing very few STEMlords go into math. All the ones I've met are engineering students, and engineering students are pretty bad at math considering how important it is to their field.
>>
>>95360678
>>95360761
>Turing test
>IP addresses
>obscure
>>
>>95360806
>nerds are the average person
>>
>>95360860
>I can only read half a post
>>
>>95360860
They're certainly the average webcomic reader.
>>
File: 20110408.gif (59KB, 540x595px) Image search: [Google]
20110408.gif
59KB, 540x595px
>>95360810
Most STEMlords are too busy being STEMlords to get the grades to do any serious STEM. All the STEMlords that I know ended up in something weird like biomedical science while most of the good STEM students ended up doing shit like maths or physics.
>>
>>95360916
It's past midnight where I live, but I honestly can't see what you're trying to say. Where did I miss something?
>>
>>95360938
Nerds are the average webcomic reader.
>>
>>95355792
he's married without kids so pretty normal for a 32 year old
>>
>>95360761
How the fuck do you even manage to get onto the internet and not know even vaguely what IP addresses are?
>>
>>95350271
Speaking of egos, I completely stopped reading SMBC the day Zach Weinersmith went on a short twitter rant that boiled down to
>"I invented the 'having to flip a usb twice to get it to go in' joke, and anyone else who even vaguely references this is STEALING FROM ME."
>>
>>95357694
Here's the dirty little secret: piracy ONLY exists because it's not criminal, only civil. If casual downloading were an actual crime it would be basically non-existent.

So no, it's not "human nature", it's a legal choice that probably exists out of inertia more than anything else, and isn't guaranteed to continue to exist in the future.
>>
>>95361256
>buy new phone
>turn on Wi-Fi and mobile data
>open browser
>>
>>95361295
That sounds like it would have been sarcastic. Are you sure it wasn't sarcastic?
>>
>>95361329
In other words, you'd have to be 10 years old. Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>95361295
Are you sure he was serious?
He seems like the type to jokingly say something like that but get it taken seriously because his tone doesn't transfer in text.
>>
>>95361333
No, he was being serious. It wasn't a single tweet, but a series of tweets specifically calling a comic that had risen in popularity on Reddit as stealing from him. He may or may not have gotten his brother who's a higher up at Reddit involved.
>>
>>95361328
It is pretty much human nature. Art forgery in a historical sense isn't that much different from modern day pirating. You make illegal copies of the original work. That shit has been going on for millennia.
>>
>>95361364
what's the comic?
>>
>>95361364
Ah. Then fuck him.

I'll continue to read SMBC though.
>>
>>95350395
>STEM
Mech engi here
It's not like people cant just google shit
>>
>>95361364
That sounds really dumb.
I'd stopped reading it a while ago because it felt like he'd run out of ideas, but it's a shame he seems to be going down that route.
>>
>>95361384
I suppose the real difference is modern day pirates aren't trying to sell their copies as the real thing
>>
>>95361384
Art forgery isn't remotely as common as digital piracy, anon. Not by several orders of magnitude.
And there's a reason for that.
>>
>>95359815
How exactly do you expect it to be commercially viable to do purely scientific missions? No one is paying a billion dollars for magnetospheric data from Saturn.
>>
>>95359815
>compete in the free market
they're not selling a product or service, they're punting things into space to look at stuff, i.e. not a very profitable industry. Incidentally, exactly why there isn't a space exploration industry beyond NASA, because surprise, companies don't want to invest in things that won't make them money
>>
>>95361328
Blackmarkets have existed eversince there were laws anon. Do you think people don't make and sell drugs because it's illegal? Think people don't smoke pot?
>>
>>95361389
>>95361394
>>95361404
Full context
https://twitter.com/ZachWeiner/status/855799485154430977
"improved my design"
The art is referencing something he has referenced and many people have experienced before and by his own admission is not his art.
https://twitter.com/ZachWeiner/status/855801542867288066
>You made the same joke as me, huh, nice KNOCKOFF, loser.
>>
>>95361642
this feels half sarcastic half serious
>>
File: 1461352137533.jpg (47KB, 708x506px) Image search: [Google]
1461352137533.jpg
47KB, 708x506px
>>95355465

an astronaut once drove hundreds of miles shitting her pants so she could murder someone.

One of the lead scientists on the human genome project went for a jog, saw a fucking fountain that had 3 streams, thought it was the holy trinity and became a Christ fag.
>>
>>95361420
No shit it isn't as common. I never said it was. I said in a historical context it's similar and my reason in saying that to make the argument that piracy isn't anything new to humanity. Guys selling illegal copies of famous portraits throughout Europe hundreds of years ago isn't all that different from guys today posting illegal copies of games/movies/music. The motives, the scale, and the technology is different, but the actions aren't.
>>
>>95360678
I have degrees in the humanities and both of those are easy to understand. Do you live in a rural community or something?
>>
>>95361642
that is literally stolen art, though
>>
>>95360761
Isn't explainxkcd a website whose purpose is to take the piss outta Randall?
>>
>>95361477
>>95361542
If it can't make money, nobody should be doing it. This isn't a fucking communist state.
>>
>>95361642
Now that you've posted it, it really doesn't feel serious. You might be reading too much in to the "my design" part. That seems more like just a bad choice of words for marketing his own comic.
>>
>>95361743
actually using money to do things that don't make money is more of a capitalist thing
>>
>>95361573
Pot is actually another great example for my side, not yours. It's technically illegal in many places but not enforced much, and therefore used far more than other drugs.

But yeah, in general: the vast majority of people don't do drugs (other than pot). The vast majority of people do, however, pirate stuff - particularly if we include illegal streaming.
>>95361684
See previous paragraph (just replace drugs with art forgery).
>>
>>95361743
Goo things usually don't make money for decades. Satellite communication is the backbone of our modern society, but it wouldn't exist in a free market because why the fuck would you piss away billions to see if you can put shit into orbit and test what you can do with said shit?
>>
>>95361778
The argument is about something that's supposedly done for business reasons.
>>
>>95361826
when was it ever about that beyond one post where a retard said NASA can't compete in a free market that doesn't exist?
>>
>>95361813
Then organize donations for it, and if that doesn't work - tough. It's not right to force others to pay for something a certain group considers important.
>>
>>95361852
Except NASA isn't a billionaire who's made money just coasting in his private jet, it's an organization funded by involuntary taxation.
>>
File: 1499931602523.jpg (46KB, 776x602px) Image search: [Google]
1499931602523.jpg
46KB, 776x602px
>>95355579
>>
>>95361906
so are roads
>>
>>95361923
Did I say I support taxes for those?
>>
File: 1420620118471.jpg (16KB, 496x501px) Image search: [Google]
1420620118471.jpg
16KB, 496x501px
>>95355579

don't yourself on that edge
>>
>>95361932
I assumed you didn't so I just thought I'd get the standard response to your retardation out of the way early
>>
>>95361808
You really don't understand what we're trying to say, do you?

Fine, I'll try and argue on your terms even though that was never the point.

Reckless driving is a criminal offense classified as a misdemeanor with felony enhancement possibilities if that results in an injury or fatality. And yet every single person on the fucking planet with access to a vehicle has done it at least once and gotten away with it. The severity of the punishment/consequences don't matter if people think (rightfully so) that the odds of getting caught are minuscule.
>>
>>95361932
Holy shit man. This is some advanced trolling. I salute you.
>>
>>95361906
>government spending is financed by taxes
Spotted the high school dropout.
>>
>>95360919

SMBC schools XKCD everytime.
>>
>>95361947
The odds of getting caught for piracy are not miniscule, though, if we're talking about things like torrents at least. It's just that under current laws the expense of doing so is often incurred by private organizations, and they obviously don't want to waste money.
>>
>>95350218
>but generally speaking, why does it suck?
Rather than just being a normal comic that happens to be written by someone who is smart it is instead a stupid comic that is written by someone who is smart however they feel that by merely showing how smart they are is a valuable substitute for being actually funny. It just has a smug arrogance about it, I'm not discrediting what the author does for a living outside of it but you can tell he thinks he's the hottest shit ever and is above everyone else solely because of it.
>>
>>95361972
Okay, it's financed by taxes and debt, the latter of which is still indirectly a tax via money printing (among other reasons).
>>
>>95362014
So the odds of getting caught are minuscule. Why do the reasons for that matter so much to you? Shooting yourself in the heart is much more lethal than shooting yourself in the head (people can and do survive headshots) but nobody commits suicide by shooting their chest. The difference in odds don't matter to people so long as the end result is basically the same for them. And the odds are good they'll die either way.
>>
File: fag buys music.jpg (114KB, 594x599px) Image search: [Google]
fag buys music.jpg
114KB, 594x599px
>>95351301
I prefer this more.
>>
>>95362056
Keep trying.
>>
>>95361674
Bill is right from a pure statistics standpoint.
>>
>>95350271
Honestly the most damning indictment against Randall I can think of is that fucking ball pit.
>>
>>95351372
Do you know what the first-sale doctrine is?
>>
>>95362108
I won't.
>>
>>95362421
That brings into question that you are buying anything digital; rather than just liscencing it
>>
File: 1477003044594.gif (2MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1477003044594.gif
2MB, 400x240px
>>95350271
>online atheist movement
>theistfags actually believe this
>>
File: beer.png (48KB, 599x282px) Image search: [Google]
beer.png
48KB, 599x282px
He's got a point.
>>
File: 1432264502332.jpg (4KB, 111x122px) Image search: [Google]
1432264502332.jpg
4KB, 111x122px
>>95355579
I refuse to believe this poster is serious.
>>
>>95361674
>NASA engineer
>but he's a moron because I don't like his webcomic
Fucking hell.
>>
>>95362565
he is a moron, though
>>
>>95362492
>Randall makes a joke about how he feels out of place among normies
>the website full of anons who feel out of place around normies doesn't get the joke
Wouldn't have expected that.
>>
>>95362481
I'm saying that many people think the law should apply to all media, physical or digital.

(Also it's not just digital, the doctrine doesn't apply to some physical media like licensed software - which is why you can't resell used OEM versions of Windows, for example.)
>>
File: booze_drunkBoosterGold.png (279KB, 560x463px) Image search: [Google]
booze_drunkBoosterGold.png
279KB, 560x463px
>>95362585
>Defending that comic.
>>
File: compiling.png (28KB, 413x360px) Image search: [Google]
compiling.png
28KB, 413x360px
>>95361400
CS major here. I share the same sentiment.

Although certain comics do get a small smile out of me.
>>
>>95362585
What joke?
>>
File: mutalisk asshole on chest.jpg (122KB, 1037x675px) Image search: [Google]
mutalisk asshole on chest.jpg
122KB, 1037x675px
>>95362516
I knew a guy who bragged online about working for NASA. He was a janitor. You may recognize him, pic related.
>>
>>95362585
Because we somehow have more self-awareness than him
>>
File: 1500597155238.png (548KB, 623x630px) Image search: [Google]
1500597155238.png
548KB, 623x630px
>>95362585
>joke
>>
>>95362813
does compiling even take that long?
to be fair I've only done small projects and it isnt an issue
>>
>>95350271
>perpetually stuck in the early 2000s online atheist movement

In terms of general mindset, if not intensity, he's something of a Less Wrong-era fossil. I could see how that's the appeal for some desu.
>>
>>95363208
I've heard Windows takes like a day to compile. Anyone know if that's true?
>>
>>95350271
>being in favor of DRM
Kill yourself.
>>
>>95361364
>his brother who's a higher up at Reddit involved.
That would explain why he's allowed to spam his own comics there.
>>
>>95360810
STEMlording is really more like TElording, biology majors don't wave it around like engineers or CS majors do.
>>
>>95363408
and there's only five math majors total at any given school

and chem majors all want to be doctors
>>
>>95363208
I can see large C++ programs taking a few hours, anyone who's done basic shit with it and C can tell you the former takes a good deal while longer to compile.
>>
>>95359942
They don't promise anything of the sort because everyone knows FTL travel is impossible.
>>
>>95361867
>Then organize donations
We did. They're called taxes.
>>
>>95363408
That's pretty true at my alma mater, but all the engineers are chads.
>>
>>95357728
You shoulda put his post after your comment then retard. Lurk moar to learn how to link to be understood properly.
>>
>>95356113
>>95356153

Wait, wut? I honestly always thought it was actually some dude shitting on his kid and had no idea why mods wouldn't just delete it.
>>
>>95364093
Yeah, I know. It's a hell of an illusion. Ever after you realize what it is, it's still hard to not see a gaping hairy anus.
>>
>>95363839
Donations are voluntary by definition, you troll.
>>
>>95363922
It's not exactly devoid of nerdiness at my school (my senior design professor was a fat guy with a bunch of Star Wars stuff in his office), but in ME at least there's a bunch of "car guys" for lack of a better term. CS isn't quite as bad as the memes suggest, but you're still far more likely to identify weebs and the like there.

I guess EE (and definitely Comp Eng) have more dorks, no fucking idea on what kind of people chemical engineering attracts.
>>
>>95351007
Not in the Philippines it isn't.
>>
>>95365286
Philippines is really religious, isn't it? Catholic and Muslim? I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of alcohol anywhere outside of tourist centers.
>>
>>95351249
>>95360810
Very few. In my college, per batch you usually have:

100 computer kids
150 biology students
20 chem students
5 physics students
2 math nerds
>>
>>95362209
Not really. That assumes that the subset Scientists is a direct mirror of the human population, which it is not.

Half of the human population has an IQ below 100. Half of scientists should have IQs below 100.
>>
>>95365324
Culturally religious. Around 95% catholic, 3% muslim.

There's a LOT of alcohol around. Everyone's cultural idea of "fun" is going out to bars on weekend nights and drinking until 4am. Many have started to do that during weekday nights too.
>>
>>95365507
Gotcha. Good for you guys.
>>
>company creates product
>product can be duplicated infinitely for free
>company wants to charge money for product that has infinite supply
>even though a product with infinite supply is literally worthless
>people choose to duplicate product for free instead of paying huge amounts of money for it
>somehow, there are people defending these companies
>>
>>95364422
>hurr durr I don't control the government I vote in
>>
>>95360761
Nigger I will not be starting my degree until next year and I know how IP addresses and the Turing test work. Go tip your fedora among your fellow fedora tippers, your delusions obviously do not work outside of your little circlejerk.
>>
>>95365636
Not that fag, but come on. Your vote is definitely worthwhile, but the simple fact of the matter is that you're going to be disappointed at least half of the time due the very nature of a democracy. And since America is a representative democracy, almost no taxes are voted on directly by the voters.
>>
>>95365427
>I don't know the difference between median and average but let me tell you about who should be a scientist
>>
>>95365636
>>95365752
That's actually irrelevant, even under direct democracy you would never get 100% of the population to agree to a tax.
>>
>>95367043
Of course you wouldn't. You'd be disappointed at least 2/3rds of the time. Most likely far more, and so would every single other person in the country. That's not a bad thing, but people seem to have a hard time accepting that not everyone thinks like they do.
>>
The only thing those xkcd threads show me is that /co/ is even more retarded that i could imagine
>>
>>95350725
You're allowed to photocopy your own book beforehand, however tedious that might be.
>>
>>95367422
Part of the problem is that to do it right, the physical is destroyed. You want to do it right, you gotta crack that fucking spine.
>>
>>95367102
People like you seem to have a hard time accepting that you're not naturally entitled to a cent of others' money, no matter how you sugarcoat it.
>>
File: IMG_1165.png (119KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1165.png
119KB, 500x522px
>>95351168
Didn't expect that...
>>
File: Untitled.png (34KB, 1191x325px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
34KB, 1191x325px
>>
>>95367649
And you're not entitled to my money when you win either. So fucking nothing is funded, so nobody has any clean water to drink.

Funny how that works.
>>
>>95366728
That is the subtext of Nye's comment there, assuming he actually said it.

Women are more tightly clustered around average intelligence. So, statistically there are fewer genius and retarded women. Women are also less interested in the "thing" fields, and more in the "people" fields, thus are less likely to take the extremely "thing" oriented STEM fields in higher education.

Thus, how we're back to the preWW2 gender ratios of more women going to college, but still have far fewer women than men going into STEM. Which isn't due to men crowding women out. As when they force gender ratios to be exactly 50:50, they can't fill up enough seats in the courses.
>>
>>95367743
>And you're not entitled to my money when you win either.
That's not really a problem for those of us whose ideology doesn't depend on taking the property of others.
>So fucking nothing is funded, so nobody has any clean water to drink.
See previous.
>Funny how that works.
Not unless you think basic economics is funny.
>>
File: 1346462504565.png (175KB, 375x361px) Image search: [Google]
1346462504565.png
175KB, 375x361px
>>95367855
You're actually serious, aren't you? You've been here too long otherwise.
>>
>>95360678
>>95360761
>ip addresses
>turing test
>hard to understand
stemfags truly are brainlets
>>
>>95367879
No, I'm not being serious. In fact, I've obviously been playing you all for fools all this time.
>>
>What's actually wrong with xkcd?
Randall is an asshole
His webcomic is shit
Also, op is a faggot, fuck this thread
>>
File: 1505230080191.jpg (61KB, 832x690px) Image search: [Google]
1505230080191.jpg
61KB, 832x690px
I feel like he gets ideas after arguing with someone on the internet and loses then decides to make a comic about it.
>>
File: tumblr_lu1yklbtOB1qi9oq0o1_1280.png (177KB, 651x481px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lu1yklbtOB1qi9oq0o1_1280.png
177KB, 651x481px
>>95368140
So that Pepe is just stolen from pic related, yes?
>>
>>95367809
Stop talking dude you're wrong just get over it already and maybe go back to /pol/ while you're at it.
>>
>>95367721
Panel 4 was worth the read.
>>
>>95350218
>What's actually wrong with xkcd?
Randy is a post-pseudo-intellectual who has a very dim understanding of human interaction and also a poor understanding of how society works in general. Most of his comics can be described like his failed attempt at a career with NASA: short, dry, lacking in wit, and highly predictable. He thinks of himself as having a 300+ IQ, and all of his comics reflect the ramblings of a person with a massive ego preaching from a soapbox about subjects they don't understand or things that no one except very cloistered people would find funny.

There used to be a site called 'XKCDsucks' which detailed every single XKCD comic and why each one was awful. I quit reading it several years ago because each comic has the same thing wrong with it: He has maybe four templates for comic setups, maybe two of them result in a "Joke" if you can call it that. And every one of his comics are just those four things redone over and over and over again, and I hate re-runs.
>>
File: free_speech.png (52KB, 566x577px) Image search: [Google]
free_speech.png
52KB, 566x577px
>>95368140
>>
>>95367590
True
>>
>>95368879
Great, but if every single site is doing that it's probably a monopoly that should be broken up via antitrust law. (Which the right seems to oppose, as in many other cases of going against their own interests for ideology.)
>>
File: angrySuperman.jpg (18KB, 248x283px) Image search: [Google]
angrySuperman.jpg
18KB, 248x283px
>>95368879
>And then Randall was the Nazi.
Unforgivable.
>>
>>95367673
It was a decent joke.
>>
>>95368879
I love to take comics like this and replace "free speech" with "being a Jew".
>>
File: pluto_8351.jpg (155KB, 835x435px) Image search: [Google]
pluto_8351.jpg
155KB, 835x435px
>>95359815
In June of 2015, Pluto was just a gray blob
>>
>>95350271

>Latest trendy flick
>Directly endorsing Piracy

Yeah, that'd be the fucking day.
>>
>>95370361
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/magazine/the-loyal-engineers-steering-nasas-voyager-probes-across-the-universe.html?mcubz=3
I never would have imagined that one of the greatest feats of exploration in all of human history is relegated to people that have no support. If NASA doesn't care about Voyager, then maybe fuckstain that you're replying to has a point.
>>
>>95361740
No. Like, just no. Have you ever read it?
>>
>>95367809
t. The Britisher.
>>
>>95368504
>There used to be a site called 'XKCDsucks' which detailed every single XKCD comic and why each one was awful. I quit reading it several years ago because each comic has the same thing wrong with it: He has maybe four templates for comic setups, maybe two of them result in a "Joke" if you can call it that. And every one of his comics are just those four things redone over and over and over again, and I hate re-runs.
Can you give some sort of summary? I've seen the xkcdsucks websites before, but they never seem to do anything meta, and I really don't feel like reading 300 blog posts in order to understand why the comic sucks when I know that an anon could give me it in a single post.
>>
>>95361674
Leave God out of this anon
>>
File: what_to_bring.png (38KB, 435x464px) Image search: [Google]
what_to_bring.png
38KB, 435x464px
>>95370499
Yes. Just now. If this isn't a fucking parody, then it's home the greatest autists who have ever lived.

>The ultimate point of this comic may be in the title text. There is a phrase in American English, "to bring a knife to a gun fight," which means "to be so naive as to be unprepared." While Randall may be commenting specifically on managing Conflict escalation by being adequately prepared for the situation, it is also possible that he is subtly expressing his opinion about the virtues of restraint.
>>
>>95360806
>I'm a nerd
>Quick google search
Yeah, nah, so are as far away from normies as Randall is.
>>
>>95370555
Also, you really need to fucking know STEM to understand the very subtle nuances of the English phrase "Bring a gun to a knife fight.".

</sarcasm>
>>
>>95361343
I am pretty sure most people using the internet don't know what an IP adress is. There isn't just kids, but also women and people over 40.
>>
>>95367809
Don't bother. The average person today is so heavily indoctrinated that any suggestion that there might be mental differences between genders creates a kneejerk reaction in them. They're not looking for openminded discourse.
>>
>>95370543

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but what the hey.

http://xkcdsucks.blogspot.com/search/label/Category%20Page
>>
>>95355643
For mental disorders, not ball rashes.
>>
>>95371051
they still need to go through medical school.
>>
File: nomenclature.png (10KB, 215x283px) Image search: [Google]
nomenclature.png
10KB, 215x283px
I have to admit, xkcd's worst comics are when it's trying to be funny.
>>
>>95371212
That doesn't mean I expect a fucking head doctor to know what's oozing out of my ballsack.
>>
>>95361684
Yes, the actions are entirely different based on motives. One is trying to make a profit and one is doing it for free. Are you going to sit there and try to tell me a library is a form of piracy, but a fucking movie theatre isn't? Get the fuck out of here.
>>
File: the_pace_of_modern_life.png (537KB, 483x4160px) Image search: [Google]
the_pace_of_modern_life.png
537KB, 483x4160px
I will say, one obvious problem that comes up with xkcd is that you'll often find yourself asking "so what?". Pic related is a good example, what was Randall trying to get people to think when he made this?
>>
>>95371031
>http://xkcdsucks.blogspot.com/search/label/Category%20Page
>Randall doesn't tell jokes he makes references
Fuck me, they're on to something.
>>
>>95371349
No, but if you're already seeing you're psychiatrist, you might as well ask him other medical questions.

I usually use mine as a second opinion.
>>
>>95350725
>Books are destroyed so it's not better than software
The old ways were much better for consumers because there were a lot more legal protections in place for consumers. Prior to DRM, car mods were more popular and it was cheaper to fix a car, or a tractor, or any kind of device because there was nothing restricting after market parts from being made. Nothing restricting you from altering the thing you bought.

In the digital era, all software must be approved by the rights holder, which grants them a legal monopoly over mods, repairs, and other aspects of the product. If you buy a car now, many of its parts can't be altered because they have software in them, and tampering with the software is a federal crime. Third party shops are dying off as a result, because all of them are afraid of being sued for trying to make parts for vehicles.

This leads to rising prices and "too big to fail" situations, where if Ford goes under for example, nobody on earth is making the parts to maintain their cars anymore, and everyone who owns a Ford truck can no longer repair their car. It necessitates government bailouts, and puts a lot of power and control in the hands of large corporations.

Additionally, you can't fix or distribute fixes for buggy software, and nor can you improve on it unless the software explicitly permits it. Modding most games is illegal, and the only reason they don't crack down on it more often is because mods sometimes keep a game popular. It was really nerve-wracking when Bethesda attempting to make modding into a market where they pulled in 40% of the revenue and Steam got the other 30%, because had they wanted to enforce that they could have sued Nexus out of existence. They had the legal authority.

Out copyright laws are harsh, but most people don't realize it because though the majority of us are federal criminals due to how casually easy it is to violate copyright today, most of us will never be prosecuted because it's a civil case.
>>
>>95350271

they do now, welcome to today
>>
>>95370398
I do.

Search your heart. NASA sucks. You know they suck. Stop pretending they don't.
>>
>>95369041

I just realized why that image has never made sense and now I feel dumb.

>>95370316

Ah. And why is that?

>>95370555
>If this isn't a fucking parody, then it's home the greatest autists who have ever lived.

It might be, because I am autistic and that comic makes me snicker.

Maybe you have to be autistic for it to work.
>>
>>95371471
>what was Randall trying to get people to think when he made this

...if I ask you what 'Irony' is, you're going to say something about metal, aren't you?

Also, the mind boggles at the amount of research that went into that. Jesus.

>>95375542

You're right, we should switch to another space-faring organization.

Oh wait.
>>
>>95371439
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Neither libraries nor movie theaters are illegal because they pay for the rights of the material they distribute. Art forgers and pirates don't pay for the rights of the material they distribute
>>
>>95375743
I meant the site cataloging XKCD comics and explaining them. Going into detail on the phrase "bring a knife to a gun fight" is autistic.
>>
>>95371471
With that one, he's not making any huge statements or asking you to think any differently. it's more making an interesting observation.
>>
>>95362516
NASA is not a private business and therefore not under market pressures to succeed. The only reason they did so well in the 50s and 60s is because the government scooped up the brightest minds of the private sector to work for them. NASA is a far cry from it's former self.
>>
>>95368338
You can't even make a proper argument and you're saying he's wrong? Stfu dude
>>
>>95375837
SpaceX?
>>
>>95376252
>trusting Elon "welfare queen" musk
>>
>>95375903

Oh, certainly. Certainly.

But /co/ also has a far higher proportion of autists than the general populace.

>>95376252

Call me when Elon makes it to the moon.
>>
>>95376388
>But /co/ also has a far higher proportion of autists than the general populace.
Obviously. But there are also normal people, so the general level of autism around here is diffused.
>>
>>95376431
>normal

The term is 'neurotypical'. If "normal people" aren't completely mythical like Bigfoot and the elusive unicorn, they certainly do not manifest on 4chan.
>>
>>95376534
No, the term is normal.
>>
>>95350271

Asking the real questions I see
>>
>>95350271
I just saw IT at movie theater with a bar
>>
>>95351073
My theater was advertising a cocktail they were selling called the pennywise
>>
>>95376564

...Aaand that would be autistic behavior.

>>95376748

"This tastes like shit!"
"It's sewer water. Would you like a balloon?"
>>
File: 1505480213941.jpg (34KB, 480x506px) Image search: [Google]
1505480213941.jpg
34KB, 480x506px
>>95376306
>trusting (((NASA)))
>>
>>95376067
NASA as a government entity was there to reinforce military rocketry programs and provide for civilian applications of said programs. The decline of NASA as a R&D provider is directly mirrored by the decline in strategic missile programs and signing of arms treaties at the end of the Cold War. Talking about the free market when talking about NASA is an irrelevancy as commercial space development has only functionally existed for about 30 years and didn't really begin to have widespread practical applications until the late 90s. Even then, most of the original commercial space industry failed, the modern commercial space industry is primarily dominated by a single company that is a blank check subsidy of another corporation that has had notable difficulties in its launch history despite using mature technology.
>>
>>95362585
There's no joke to get, he's just being a passive aggressive asshole
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.