[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The man that saved capeshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

File: creator00956._QL80_TTD_.jpg (23KB, 650x575px) Image search: [Google]
creator00956._QL80_TTD_.jpg
23KB, 650x575px
The man that saved capeshit
>>
lol Johnsfags are fags
>>
>>92874058
>DC's comics are overall better than they've been in years
>The first film where he's been in charge is better than the ones where he wasn't
How did he not?
>>
>>92874236

Jeff Johns writes bad stories, and he really dropped the ball on the Watchmen crossover
>>
>>92872889
Is he DC's Bendis?
>>
>>92874360
He's Bizarro-Bendis
>>
>>92874058
>>92874342
Maybe you should go read Brian Michael Bendis comics, that should be adequate for your tastes and delicate sensibilities.
>>
He's popular, likable, and successful, no doubt about it. DC has benefited immensely from his work.

I personally hate his writing, but makes me an outlier.
>>
File: gavin_mastodon.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
gavin_mastodon.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
>>92874342
>Jeff
>>
>>92872889
>calling it capeshit
>>>/tv/
>>
>>92874342
>Forever Evil
>His Flash Run
>His green Lantern run
>His JSA run
>His Superman run
>Implying any of these were bad
He's written some bad stuff, but come on
>>
>>92872889
Well, if by capeshit we understand mediocre superhero content that exist only to keep franchises alive and achieves nothing at a creative level, we agree.
>>
>>92874409
Bendis has 5 Eisner Awards and Johns has 1 Spike TV trophy
>>
>>92874236
>>The first film where he's been in charge is better than the ones where he wasn't

>Johns served as a co-producer and creative consultant for the 2011 Green Lantern film directed by Martin Campbell and starring Ryan Reynolds
>>
>>92874521
they aren't good
>>
>>92875017
>Implying he wasnt just there to explain shit
>Implying he has the same level of power now as he did then
>>
>>92874236
>>The first film where he's been in charge is better than the ones where he wasn't

That's more a result of a DCEU film finally being free of the dead weight of Snyder than anything Johns did.
>>
>>92875030
And I bet you think the killing joke is the best thing produced by the Industry huh?
>>
>>92875030
Dude, the anon you're replying to is right. Johns has done some bad stuff but he's also done some great work. You make yourself look stupid and petty when you won't even acknowledge that, in the same that HUR DUR BENDIS SUXXX people look like morons.
>>
>>92875201
Bendis has done some great work, but nearly all of his modern stuff is unfortunately bad, especially given that the man was and most likely still is talented
>>
>>92875240
I agree, he seems to have either lost the spark he had in the mid 90s-mid 2000s or he decided to just rest on his laurels and coast once he made it big.

The funny thing is, there's a far stronger argument for Bendis being the one who "saved capeshit" than Johns. It was Bendis's work on Ultimate Spider-Man that led the way for Marvel's revitalization in the early 2000s out of one of the industry's lowest periods in the late 90s.

The mainstream comic industry's comeback in the 2000s in many ways can be attributed to Bendis.
>>
>>92875371
Not to mention that it was Bendis's USM that formed the basis for the Raimi Spider-Man movies which opened the modern era of cape film dominance, and the Ultimate Marvel books that followed him formed the basis for the MCU. You could argue that he is also responsible for the success of cape films today.
>>
>>92875150
Snyder was more involved in Wonder Woman then Suicide Squad.
>>
>>92875151
Moore's Supreme is
>>
>>92875371
Bendis actually has critical acclaim and his indie work is pretty good while Johns just writes for fanboys
>>
Johns writing won't ever be on par with Alan Moore, but the guy has great ideas, and clearly is creative enough to think of these great ideas and story lines. It's his writing style that won't ever set him apart into the Morrison/Moore category.

Geoff Johns is a good writer, he's had some bad books, some above average books, some average book, a few stinkers, a few amazing books. Enough to say he's a top writer working today.
>>
>>92875632
>clearly is creative
bullshit
he's the definition of mediocre
>>
>>92875632
>Johns writing won't ever be on par with Alan Moore

So he does the next best thing: recycle and rehash Moore's ideas.
>>
>>92875417
>delusional snyderfags so desperate for a w they try to take Johns credit

lol
>>
>>92872889
>that hair
JUST
>>
File: based.png (304KB, 780x1034px) Image search: [Google]
based.png
304KB, 780x1034px
>>
>>92874521
>Forever Evil
Rushed conclusion (MAZAHS basically died in the span of 1 issue). Killing off Earth-3 was also a HUGE mistake.

>His green Lantern run
>His JSA run
Yeah, I sure do love snuff comics about the new flavor-of-the-month villains killing 90s characters by the dozen.
>>
>>92874342
>Jeff Johns
I see you've only heard his name and never read it.
>>
>>92874998
We all know the western industry is politics without taste and the Japanese comic industry is where it's at. Johns has a Japanese Gaikoku Manga Award. Bendis has none.
>>
>>92875855
>JSA
>Snuff
You could just carry a sign saying "I DIDN'T READ ANY OF IT"
>>
>>92875150
And who do you think arranged that?
>>
>>92876287
God. He then convinced Snyder's daughter to martyr herself so that the nightmare would end.
>>
>>92876366
>God
Damn, God really likes DC.
>>
>>92876366
>God himself intervened in the DCEU
>>
>>92876258
What Johns comic was deemed by Japan as the best not Japanese comic?
>>
>>92876258
Japanese have shit taste, nothing new here
>>
>>92876503
>he thinks american cape comics are better than manga
Bendis fans everyone.
>>
>>92876492
His Shazam won the year it was released there. Side note last year the winner was Grayson.
>>
>>92872889
Fuck off nigger.
>>
>>92875240

His Daredevil and Alias were alright, good but not great. What else of value has he done compared to the crimes he's committed to the Marvel universe?
>>
>>92874360
Bendis ruined comics
>>
>>92875833
thx geoff
>>
>>92875151
Mortal clay is better than EVERY SINGLE comic johns has ever made
>>
>>92872889
Is that Brendan Fraser?
>>
>>92872889
The worst part of wonder woman was Johns shit.

Fuck i got mad.

Fucking icecream, no one laught, it was so quick and made no fucking sense
>>
>>92874521
>Forever Evil

Was a standard piece of shit event that caused a lot of noise and seemed to change things FOREVER and then they didn't (just like his other great 'hit' events like Darkest Day Brightest Blight, Darkseid. Suckiest War. Ever, and Barry's Mom Must Die to say DC/The CW/DCEU - just you wait for that to be the plot of Ezra's movie, etc.)

>>His Flash Run

Henry, Geoff's trying to kill your wife once again just so Barry can do the Spock/Kirk bad touch handshake with you from prison

>His green Lantern run

Yes, everything we needed - we just didn't know it - a Lantern Spectrum, dead superhero's back from the dead to rape long time fans just to please the fan fiction writing former Superboy letter-upper

>His Superman run

Yes, let's set the page for another shitty, year plus Superman cross-over because this time I'm not going to fuck up the entire DC universe, just all the Super Family titles
>>
>>92878207
better than walls of text
>>
>>92875696
He doesn't really care that much about Moore in particular. He is just a continuity nut so he picks and chooses from everything and then blends the eras together (though heavily skewed toward the bronze age because that's when he started buying ongoings) into a cohesive take.
>>
>>92874058
Nice bait, anon
>>
>>92875150
Snyder co wrote and produced WW. The first movie that he won't be involved is Aquaman.
>>
>>92875402
You are fucking retarded.
>>
>>92879402
He came up with story elements since he technically introduced WW first, he didn't write the movie
>>
>>92878207
>Henry, Geoff's trying to kill your wife once again just so Barry can do the Spock/Kirk bad touch handshake with you from prison

That sucked. But his Flash run with Wally was brilliant.
>>
>>92879823
I really feel like he was just going to do Blitz 2.0 and save her in the end. It was too cleanly set up since the reader knows for a fact that her death is not important to time at all.

I'll always be sad for what could have been in regards to that run.
>>
>>92879888
The other thing that bugs me about it is there really should've been reprecussions for Eobard altering time but there wasn't.
>>
>>92874521
>Implying any of those were good
>>
>>92875151
It's still better than any of the power rangers stories Johns has ever written.
>>
Go back to r/Geoffjohns, faggot.
>>
>>92880016
>not real

fuck you
>>
>>92874058
>bara is life
>bara is love

anon is sad that he ain't /fit/ enough for our lord
>>
>>92874521

GFbrought me back into comics once he took over JSA. I still think it's his most solid run on a book, and the fanboy in him knows DC history. He isn't a great writer, but he is creative writing fanboy capeshit from a fanboy perspective. That's why he sells. He's a basic bitch writer, but he knows how to real in casuals with knowledge and grow new readers from his out put, even with continuity that's demanded.

I don't like some of what he scripted, but he is easily relatable in delivery. I'll rip my fedora him for being able to realign continuity when he needs too so people buy books.

Overall, he is mediocre but sometimes delivers gems when people want looking for comic story gold
>>
>>92872889
He is killing DC.
>>
he writes comics like a kid playing with action figures
>>
>>92880626
JSA is a textbook example of mediocre. People love it because it features lesser used/known characters with smaller fanbases.
>>
>>92880668
He still told its tale well, and made them relevant again until the new52boot. He isn't great, but he is pretty consistent like in GL and Flash runs he wrote. I'm not his biggest fan, but he does know his market, and can write out superhero drama that casual readers find digestible if they're new to the character and continuity.

>not great as a writer, but he knows how to generate interest and appeal
>>
>>92880653
*saving
fixed
>>
>>92880767
so he's a less successful Liefeld?
>>
>>92872889
His Green Lantern and Flash reboots ruined comics.
>>
>>92880968
he does scorch & burn on franchises
none of them can be good after because he ruins them so hard
>>
His Teen Titans run did irreparable damage to nearly every character involved, namely all the ex-Young Justice members and the only good thing about his GL run was the gayness between Hal and Sinestro.

Also don't compare him to Liefeld because Liefeld at least has the creativity equivalence to retard strength and can make a good OC with potential every once in a while whereas Johns doesn't even have that.
>>
>>92872889
>The man that saved

Le Fan Fiction Writer Who Effed-Up The DC Universe
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.