[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So before I see the new Logan movie I decided to finally read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: 3-compressed.jpg (21KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
3-compressed.jpg
21KB, 400x323px
So before I see the new Logan movie I decided to finally read Mark Millar's original Old Man Logan.

How did this piece of trash managed to become not only the most highly regarded Wolverine stories of all time (seriously, it's on almost every "best Wolverine comics" list in existence) but one of the most acclaimed graphic novels from Marvel?

The original TPB got reprinted god knows how many times and the new hardcover edition is already a bestseller left and right.

Either I'm insane or Wolverine-fans have the lowest standards among comic readers.
>>
>>90369120
It was a good one shot.
Remember that while this got published, marvel was shitting out awful comics.
>>
>>90369208
Did you mean a good one off story?
>>
>i didn't read it but it's worst comic ever made because it's popular
>>
>>90369120
this was after death of wolverine senpai.

> " kill" someone off
> bring in some old gritty version of a literal old gritty character

takes a bit off the edginess off a character when theyre plain old and dont give a fuck
>>
>>90369315
You're talking about Lemire's Old Man Logan. This is Mark Millar's original Old Man Logan.
>>
>>90369120
It was a long time ago. I'm trying to think what I liked about it the most..

probably the Symbiote T Rex.
>>
>>90369120
I read OML and it involved Logan having a family, not wanting to use his claws, and the Hulk eating people. It felt weird, I didn't really like it. was that Mark Millar's originial?
>>
>>90369208
It's insultingly stupid. For every cool idea Millar introduces he cannot execute one in a satisfying fashion throughout the eight issues of the story and makes it all worse by dumbing them all down for the most basic road-movie plot I have ever witnessed in a comic book.

But it's not even proper road-movie in the grand scheme of things: Wolverine's whole character arc is him returning to his murderous ways after Millar has clearly established that the dystopia he created is beyond saving. He is neither a hero and anti-hero by the end of the story but assimilates to his shitty surroundings so if anything he has devolved by his revenge.

If I had to guess the comic exists for one reason only. Millar can now say he wrote the "last" fight between Banner and Logan, since the character's introduction was also a fight with the Hulk.
>>
>>90369574
Yup. That's the one.
>>
>>90369310
OP here, I read it asshole, see >>90369584
>>
Also what the fuck's up with McNiven's art?

Not the general depiction and quality mind you but the inconsistencies during action scenes.

I swear to god there is this issue where Logan runs through like a half a dozen people with the Spider-buggy while he rescues Hawkeye from his daughter who just turned supervillain and tries to kill him for no reason but none of this shows panel to panel only the victim's dread faces and then... nothing. The chase continues.

This is just one example of the many glaring ones where it is obvious that either Millar or editorial wanted something changed and McNiven only had time to improvise by scrapping some and adding new panels.
>>
>>90369310
Mate, it's incredibly stupid. How people can defend shit like inbred redneck Hulks is beyond me.
>>
>>90369120
>most highly regarded Wolverine stories of all time

You're thinking of Frank Miller's Wolverine
>>
Mark Millar is good for one thing only and that's being a filter. If someone likes a Mark Millar comic, I'm not going to like them.
>>
>>90370228
I wouldn't mind inbred redneck Hulks if at any point Millar would have explained how his version of future-Banner turned out to be an incest-loving gang leader other than Banner telling Logan straight-up that only his cousin "could keep up the pace"... then a few pages later, after Logan is seemingly killed and devoured, Banner orders one of his surviving offspring to grab up some women from some village for them to rebuild the whole inbred clan.
>>
Because it's liked by reddit.
>>
>>90370305

But The Ultimates was kino
>>
>>90370400
>kino
>>>/out/
>>>/tv/
>>
>>90370400
Consider yourself filtered.
>>
>>90370291
The Claremont and Miller mini is highly regarded because it was the character's first title series and it didn't suck.

Old Man Logan was an eight part story in the sixth year of the third ongoing Wolverine series and it still managed to cement itself as an important story of the character, so much so that the original Wolverine has been dead for years yet the Old Man Logan version still carries on since Secret Wars.
>>
>>90369120
The film has very little to do with the comic. Probably why it's so good lmao.

But nah, I get you. It feels like people like it more because there's a ton of cuhrayzee shit like a symbiote T-Rex and that Giant-Man skeleton than anything to do with the story itself.
>>
>>90369120
>Either I'm insane or Wolverine-fans have the lowest standards among comic readers.
Wolverine-fans don't have a particularly high standard.

I say this as a Wolverine-fan.
>>
>>90370695
>The Claremont and Miller mini is highly regarded because it was the character's first title series and it didn't suck.

It's also, sadly, Wolverine's best solo story.

I say this as a Wolverine fan.
>>
>>90370898
Greg Rucka's run was pretty neat. Ironically, it was Millar who took over and he is partially responsible for running the series into the ground (and Marvel's obsession with tying every solo series to crossover events at the time).
>>
>>90369120
I saw this with Kick-Ass and Kingsman and I'm seeing it again here.

Why is it that shitty, overly grim Millar comics get adapted into such good films? Only film adaption of his that wasn't aces was Wanted and even that was 10 times better than the godawful comic.
>>
>>90371108
If I have to guess Millar either has a movie version of his comic scripts or refines them until/when he gets a deal out of them.

But how his shitty comics are popular and worse, sometimes get great reviews such as Jupiter's Legacy is beyond me.
>>
>>90369120
I really didn't like it either.
>>
>>90371108
Millar needs someone that stands behind him, looks over his shoulder and then every 5 minutes or so says something like "No Mark, don't. That is a terrible idea."
Apparently movie people do their jobs, comic editors don't.
>>
>>90371398
But that's the thing, he has great ideas all throughout OML but it's just that, a showcase of ideas. It's the plot, character-building and arcs that are terrible to the point I personally would have asked for a refund if I actually bought this piece of shit of a paperback and not borrowed it from a friend.
>>
>>90371515
>he has great ideas all throughout OML
>Hulkcest
>Venom T-Rex
>Spider-Bitch
>blind Hawkeye driving a car for a living
>that weird shit with Red Skull
great ideas
>>
I read it earlier this year when the trailers for Logan dropped and yeah, I had the same reaction.
Movie is apparently pretty far off from the comic though.
>>
>>90371583
Ridiculous ideas that always had a place in superhero comics, especially crazy elseworlds/dystopic future versions of well-established characters. The problem is that these ideas are either not developed upon enough or proves to be completely redundant to the plot. It's like the polar opposite or better, the retarded cousin of the Earth X trilogy.
>>
>>90370305
His Superman The Animated Series comics are good
>>
>>90371730
There is a rumor floating around that Red Son was actually written by Morrison and Millar just plotted the damn thing. I wouldn't be surspised, I actually liked it unlike any other Millar book I have read so far.
>>
>>90371780
Morriston came up with the evolved earth ending
>>
>>90370898
I would honestly rather read Logan's life story from founding the JGS to his death than OML ever again.

It's not a single story but like this movie, it's a fitting journey and end to his character.
>>
>>90369120
I liked it. I liked how it went full circle by having him fight Hulk again like he did in his first appearance.
>>
Ok, so instead of bashing the obvious elseworlds bad comic, what are good/essential/remarkable Wolverine comics and arcs?
>>
I thought it was just ok, too.

I thought making Hulk the villain and a redneck hillbilly was fucking stupid.
>>
>>90369120
The same way that The Killing Joke did.
>>
>>90369120
Marvel has a long history of shit and both them and Millar wanted their own TDKR.

That's it. Marvel looks at batman and superman with envy
>>
Nope
>>
>>90372324
>essential
Wolverine mini by Claremont & Miller
Weapon X by BWS
Origin by Jenkins

>good
Logan by BKV
Wolverine & Gambit by Loeb & Sale
>>
>>90372474
The Killing Joke is also overrated I grant you that, but it does not compare to OLM.

Even if you place TKJ and OLM on the same level of terrible, the prior is 50 page glorified oneshot while the latter adds up to 200 fucking pages without the backmatter.
>>
>>90372586
I enjoyed the OML mini up until the confrontation with Hulk, showing the world after it ended was kind of neat, but nothing all that special, it just showed how tucking awesome all of Spider-Man's villains were.
>>
>>90372564
Sorry, but Origin also sucks major balls.

Even if you put aside the fact that Wolverine is one of those characters whose past should have always remained shrouded in mystery in order to remain cool, its a fucking period period piece love story with soap opera levels of melodrama. It should have been retconned out of existence the moment they released the last issue.
>>
>>90372324
Weapon X by BWS (the GOAT IMO, Wolvie's very own Year One)
Wolverine mini by Claremont and Miller
Wolverine by Claremont and Buscema
Wounded Wolf by Claremont and BWS (one of the first X-Men stories I ever read, so it holds a special place in my heart)
Bloodlust by Alan Davis
Wolverine by Greg Rucka

Aaron's run is alright too.
>>
>>90370400

This it's truth. I love Millar Ultimates, even his wild ultimate avengers tun.
>>
>>90369120
>Wolverine-fans have the lowest standards among comic readers.

You got it right there.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.