[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Justify this. I dare you.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 36

File: thisshit.jpg (208KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
thisshit.jpg
208KB, 1600x900px
>>
A teenage genius wants to be an offshoot of Iron Man.

Literally Spider Man mixed with War Machine and Rescue.
>>
Does it really need justification though? Marvel is trying something new. If it works (doubtful because Bendis) great. If it doesn't, it'll get cancelled. So what is the issue here exactly?
>>
File: bullshit.png (238KB, 785x359px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.png
238KB, 785x359px
>>87851727
Better yet, justify this. This is casual racism at it's finest.
>>
>>87851877
The reason it won't work is the same reason it won't get cancelled.
>>
>>87851885
how is it?
>>
File: bait.png (251KB, 336x374px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
251KB, 336x374px
>>87851727
>>87851885
(You)
>>
>>87851727
why did people have to complain about her cool afro now she's got a boring haircut
>>
>>87851727
>Literally Spider Man mixed with War Machine and Rescue.
how is she not mixed with iron man?

is it because she's black?

>>87851877
>So what is the issue here exactly?
how is "iron man, but black" new?
we already have that in war machine
how is "iron man, but a girl" new?
we've alrady haad that before too

when you go to lcs
you grab an iron man comic
are you buying it for iron man?
or for someone who isn't related to iron man at all but wants to be them?
>>
File: MarvelRiriSketchesSmall-650x434.jpg (49KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
MarvelRiriSketchesSmall-650x434.jpg
49KB, 650x434px
Her original design is shit, but I like these newer ones they've put out.

But past that, you're like a know-nothing /tv/ fag who thinks anyone actually cares about Iron Man comics. It's historically been a C-List book for decades and the movies have done little to raise the book's profile. It's exactly the kind of mid-list book that legacy heroes take over all the time.
>>
>>87851990
This. The afro was cute. CUTE!
>>
>>87851990
Because she was being drawn by Deodato and it looked atrocious.
>>
>>87851727
It happened, therefore it's justified.
>>
>>87851727

It's an Iron Man legacy character because since RDJ's performance the character has legs. No big deal.
>>
>>87851990
Marvel's SOP:
Fans are complaining.
Would doing what they want make things better?

If yes, keep doing what you're doing, go fucking overboard with it in fact.

If no, do it. Do everything they want. Every tweeted demand and tumblr must be reacted to in your comic.
>>
>>87851727
Not until I have someone justify Miles Morales.
>>
>>87852063
if something looking like shit when deodato draws it was a good reason to get rid of something then you may as well erase all of reality
>>
>>87851727
This is /co/mblr, deal with it
>>
>>87852030

Was it during Infinity Gauntlet or Secret Wars (the OG one) in which Iron Man was Rhodes and no body knew?
>>
I'm sorry, am I the only one distracted by the name"Riri"?
>>
fuck practicality, bring back the afro

if iron man were practical the suit would be empty
>>
>>87852139
Of course not, not everyone suffers from autism.
>>
i would pay $50 for a blowjob from that iron man in hunts point
>>
>>87852097
>If yes, keep doing what you're doing, go fucking overboard with it in fact.
this
>x-men kiddies get their comic book again
>get to see stories of all your teenybopper mutants
>no one likes quentin quire
>make him the center of every comic, the whole story revolves around him, no story even bothers to show those other mutants, just quire and his friends
>at the end put out a special issue showing how he didn't learn anything from those adventures

>people complain about not enough female superheroes
>literally replace every superhero with a female version or just tack one on for no reason
>>
>>87852139
It's a traditional African-American name.

>Like Riri? What about:
>Emmary, Emmaly

Especially if you can't fucking spell.

But really it's just because she's loosely based off Rhianna.
>>
You know a lot of the problems people have with these legacy characters could be fixed if we just had a damn time skip. 50 years in the future, have Miles, Riri, and whoever just running around after a majority of the avengers have either retired or died. Im just sick of how redundant they are right now
>>
>>87851727
>>87851885
These are corporate creations that can be used as seen fit and published per the request or authority given by their owners.
>>
>>87852121
Top kek
>>
>>87852107
Never going to happen. They had 5 years to do that and we're all just tired of looking at him
>>
So what is her origin?
Does she have an Uncle Ben, a Bucky; murdered parents; an ordeal in a cave; a gimp leg and a weak body meant to teach her humilty; or perhaps a strained relationship with a now deceased parent?
What does she have?
>>
They want to make money off of brand recognition through the name/symbols associated with Iron Man but are simultaneously trying to keep the brand fresh instead of just churning out more Tony stories while being too chickenshit to just drop the brand and invest wholly in something new.

Unless if you mean specifically "why is this particular take on not-Iron-Man black and a girl", which doesn't really need any more justification than any other possible sex-ethnicity combination, including white dudes.
>>
>>87852237
She's black, isn't that enough?
>>
File: 1UGuCV4I_400x400.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1UGuCV4I_400x400.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>87852237
>Does she have an Uncle Ben,
>>
>Marvel tries to be diverse and inclusive
>Hulks fight each other because of skin color.
>>
>>87852250
No, BP has a full on origin with conflict and pathos.
This is part of why legacy characters fucking nearly always fail.
>>
>>87852237
Student debt and a lot of free time.
>RIRI WILLIAMS BUILT THIS IN A DAMN DORM ROOM!
>>
>>87852266
Top kek.
>>
>>87851727
>Justify this. I dare you.
Marvel owns the characters, they can do whatever the fuck they want. You can criticize, you can choose not to support it, but they own all properties to characters and at the end of the day, they're creators and creators are always want to garner new faces.
>>
>>87852207
It helps that one of them is an asshole who justifies his own prejudice with the fact that he is a jew and the kids he adopted.

I mean it's like that Milo Yiannopoulos cunt. If you take away the fact that they are 'part of X community or do X', what they say and do should be classified as prejudice
>>
>>87852324
Neet!
>>
File: number 1.png (23KB, 593x202px) Image search: [Google]
number 1.png
23KB, 593x202px
Gotta lose that money, yo.
>>
>>87852266
>I'll avenge you! Curse you Zatarain!!!
>>
File: ririorigin.jpg (130KB, 640x515px) Image search: [Google]
ririorigin.jpg
130KB, 640x515px
>>87852237
She said one day "I wanna be Iron Man" then stole a bunch of shit and threw together a suit in her Uni Dorm.

That's her origin.
>>
>>87852030

wtf OP's picture looks way better
This looks like a sexually confused kid
>>
File: Beta_ray_bill.jpg (255KB, 550x542px) Image search: [Google]
Beta_ray_bill.jpg
255KB, 550x542px
Justify this. I dare you.
>>
>>87852359
About the only thing I bought from Marvel in recent memory was Renew Your Vows
>>
>>87852391
You shut the fuck up, everyone loves Bill
>>
File: Beta Ray Bill.jpg (715KB, 1866x1826px) Image search: [Google]
Beta Ray Bill.jpg
715KB, 1866x1826px
>>87852391
He justifies himself
>>
>>87852023
>when you go to lcs
>you grab an iron man comic
>are you buying it for iron man?
You could be buying it because you just enjoy the stories. In which this case would be reasonable. You go for new and interesting stories. When it works, it works. We wouldn't have as many beloved characters in comics if creators didn't add new spins on certain characters or bring in new ones.

>or for someone who isn't related to iron man at all but wants to be them?

Again, you go to pick up comics in the first place. If the audience is feeling a bit adventurous they'd pick the new character's book up. Keep in mind this is how it always has been done.
>>
>>87852202
Oh, gotcha.

"Ree ree" was a common insult when I was in highschool, because I am a dumb hillbilly.
>>
File: tumblr_njir47r7u31u496xso1_400.jpg (207KB, 390x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njir47r7u31u496xso1_400.jpg
207KB, 390x600px
Hey guys the 90s called
>>
>board that constantly circlejerks about derivative characters
>gets mad when a company introduces a new one
>>
>>87852139

yes
>>
File: jubilee.jpg (110KB, 360x392px) Image search: [Google]
jubilee.jpg
110KB, 360x392px
>>87852380
>She said one day "I wanna be Iron Man" then stole a bunch of shit and threw together a suit in her Uni Dorm.
That's how Jubilee started with the x-men.

It's why she always had Cyclops' glasses, Storm's gloves and Psylocke's 'shoes'

mighta gotten the gloves and shoes wrong, I forget what she took from who
>>
>>87852391

Ain't it funny neckbeards have more of a problem with Thor being a woman than him being a horse?
>>
Oh look, another thread that pretends Tony was ever a good or interesting character
>>
>>87852548
Except based Bill never claimed to be, nor cared to call himself "Thor". He has his own power and hammer. Jane was just shameless diversity wanking while riding off a brand name
>>
>>87852548
Bill was never Thor, friend, and he took the hammer in fair combat. Odin had a new hammer made for him and Thor got his back, all within about three issues.
I have no problem with Jane as Thor, beyond Aaron borng the fuck out of me before it ever took place, but, really, read some comics you smug piece of shit.
>>
>>87852528
The jacket was from Dazzler.
>>
>>87852655
However, Jubilee is not a legacy character. Her powers are not the outfit she is stealng either.
>>
>>87852380
God fucking... This origin pisses me the hell off.

Okay, to clarify, I don't mind that a hero is not born from tragedy. It's fine to do something like that. But Riri's origin pisses me the hell off.

It literally is a girl becoming a hero for the hell of it. She does not care about saving lives or anything like that. She just cares about showing people that she is smart. There is nothing noble about her and her origin.

All the potential is there to make a good story... But Bendis doesn't do that. Instead, he has every character praising Riri for being intelligent and amazing. He has Tony Stark make her his official successor despite the fact he has only known her for two months at most.

Bendis does not seem to know how to write a heroic character. He seems to think that just doing something makes someone heroic or villainous and his viewpoint on 'morality' seems to be so skewed. To him intent does not seem to matter, instead it is just action.

I mean, we are obviously supposed to see the Thing in the wrong in Infamous for attacking Doom... But, considering Doom's history, that is not unjustified.
>>
>>87852548
Aint it funny virgins defend shoehorned women and minority characters for no reason?
>>
>>87852751

[neckbeard alert]

PS: Learn the meaning of shoe-horned.
>>
>>87852023
Yes.

It is because she is black.
>>
>>87852601
>>87852643
Ok, how about Rhodes as Iron Man or John Walker as Captain America?
>>
>>87852380
Is this Bendis writing?
>>
>>87852787
Rhodie isn't a horse.
>>
>>87852528
It's different anon, first thing the people complaining now weren't even born back then and second thing now is cool to hate female characters
>>
>>87852730
Well /co/ did have that one idea where Riri was an African refugee who built armor out of the conflict
>>
>>87852877
God that idea is even worse
>>
>>87852557
The only good Iron Man comic is Hypervelocity and that's a one-off written by a crazy person.
>>
>>87852877
Why do /co/ Anons not write for Marvel's shit books at the moment? Seriously the ideas here are pretty decent.
>>
>>87852730

Okay what should her origin be?
>>
>>87852872
Jiublee stole her powers?
Wrird I thought she was a mutant.
Tell us more, anon. Don't forget to project a little hate!
>>
>>87852797
Considering he's listed as the Iron Man writer from 2015-Present, I'd say most likely.
>>
>>87852906
How so? Not saying its great, but its better than a college student who built a suit on a dare
>>
>>87852936
>being smart is an exclusive super power
>>
I feel like the first issue did a decent enough job of justifying itself.

The bit with her dad and best friend getting gunned down in a drive by was pretty shit though
>>
>>87853017
A dare that she dared herself to, ie: she wanted to do it because reasons and stuff.
>>
>>87852730
>It literally is a girl becoming a hero for the hell of it.

There have been many heroes who've done this shit before. She's no exception. It's not the concept, it's the delivery.

>She does not care about saving lives or anything like that

Yes, leaving much character progression. This is a common hero trope. The guy with abilities to help, but only cares about himself.

>She just cares about showing people that she is smart

Which, if handled correctly, could be pretty decent. She seeks validation as many people her age do.

>he has every character praising Riri for being intelligent and amazing.

This I can agree with. They're not providing her with any emotional contest. That and the Tony Stark thing. It'd be better if she was constantly in Tony's face trying to seek his approval but ultimately failing. Further emphasizing her need for validation.
>>
>>87853039
>reasons and stuff
riveting
>>
File: FUCK.jpg (69KB, 633x537px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.jpg
69KB, 633x537px
Justify this
>>
>>87853017
If they did this /co/ would whine about it being too political
>>
>instead of giving females their own original heroes, just take already existing characters and make them girls
This is why all of this is bad.Any actual girl should be offended by this because instead of a female super hero, you're essentially just getting Thor with tits.

Also a shameless publicity stunt.
>>
>>87853027
>stealing is smart.
It's shit anon, but, to be fair, no more shit that IM normally is, they coild actually give to harse and I wouldn't care.
Reed is super smart, so is Parker and yet they still have origins that are worth a fuck.

So cracker or nigger; I give no fucks.
>>
>>87852237
She's a super-genius, like Reed and Tony and Doom, but born to normal parents (and black). So they just barely had the means to keep her occupied and engaged, and spent a lot of time trying to keep her grounded in society instead of lost in her own head slowly becoming bitter towards everyone else for being dumbshit. She gets into MIT and decides to build an Iron Man suit, and Tony sends her an AI version of himself to help out.
>>
>>87853169
>stealing is smart.
Who is stealing?
>>
>>87853169

Answer this you muppet: >>87852934
>>
>>87852778
t. virgin
>>
>>87852787
Am I racist or a sexist anon? I can't remember what we're working towards here. Both maybe?
I confess I am mysogoracistpoltard.
Look at all the time we've saved.
Hooray!
Use that time to read some fucking comics, okay?
>>
>>87853161
Tony Stark is pretty much still around. He's mentoring her.
>>
>>87853259

yes you are
>>
>>87853234
>you can't criticize an origin unless you have a better one yourself!

Its the writer's job to write a good story, not anyone else's
>>
>>87853050
Exactly. That was what I was trying to express. There is potential in Riri... But because of who is writing the story, that potential is lost and squandered.
>>
>>87853234
For a standard page rate, I'd be happy to do so.
>>
>>87853281
>Am I racist or a sexist anon?
Now you're just projecting. No one called you these things.
>>
>>87853320
You are implying something, anon, I'm trying to sort out what it is, because you keep tossing out random characters as if something will come of it.
What are you after?
Also, read some fucking comics.
>>
>>87852730

Lol @ (you)

>Who is Johnny Storm

Read some more comics you whine baby.
>>
>>87853310

No thanks, it'd probably be awful.
>>
>>87851727
I like her hair, but I have no idea how it's supposed to fit inside an Iron Man helmet.
>>
>>87853367
>You are implying something, anon, I'm trying to sort out what it is, because you keep tossing out random characters as if something will come of it.

Not that Anon, I just thought you were projecting.

>What are you after?

What is anyone here after? Discussion on a character and voicing our opinions.

>Also, read some fucking comics.
Been reading comics since you've been playing with firetrucks kiddo. This is why i'm not upset with certain things you get upset over. I realize there's nothing new going on.
>>
>>87853417
Afros are not made of rock, anon
>>
>>87853417
Are you bald? You don't seem to know how hair works.
>>
>>87852463
DID YOU WARN THEM ABOUT 9/11?!
>>
>>87852131
before those, rhodey was already iron man when west coast avengers started up which was before sw I think
>>
So did Marvel already put Riri as like #1 in the universe-wide IQ rankings? Or are they going to wait until Black History Month to showcase how progressive they are by naming a black woman (gender queer?) as the smartest most bestest most talentedist most perfectist person in their publication history?
>>
>>87853612

They're gonna wait until your butthurt level is fully optimal.
>>
>>87853653
I haven't bought a Marvel title in 5 years, so... never then? I don't believe that one bit.
>>
>>87853612
Didn't they announce Moon Girl as being the smartest like half a year ago?
>>
>>87853449
>kiddo
who us projecting now?
Zero self-awareness isn't an attractive trait in someone your age.
Also, I am the oldest mothefucker in this thread.
>>
>>87853688

Yet you sound so incredibly butthurt that there's a new black female lead in a title that you don't even support.
>>
>>87853449
P.S. Exactly what is it I am upset about, Princess Projectra?
>>
Yeah, why can't all characters be original like Nightwing, Red Robin, Batwoman, Supergirl, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Aqualad etc.
>>
>>87853612
They did announce Riri as being smarter than Tony...so...yeah. Dunno if she's smarter than Reed though.
>>
>>87853720
Everyone is talking about something, they must be upset!
You add nothing to the conversation.
>>
>>87853748
There's a fallacy here in relation to what's being discussed, I'm just to lazy to point it out.
>>
>>87853403
>Lol @ (you)
She doesn't though. Her entire origin is literally, 'I built this just to prove I can'. She did not build it to save lives. That wasn't its purpose. She built it because she wanted to prove she was smart. She did not do it to be a hero. In fact, it seems that most of her 'heroics' are her just showing off her suit and experimenting with what she can do.

Um... You are aware that Johnny Storm actually does care. He outgrew the whole young hot-shot who only cares about publicity a long time ago. Yes, he still acts like an immature kid at some points, but he always knows when to be serious and when not to be.

>Read some more comics you whine baby.
I am, which is why I can make these statements.
>>
>>87853780
We should all be so wise, really.
>>
>>87853484
>>87853506
I know that when you have a lot of it, it does have a good deal of volume, plus it can get caught in mechanical moving parts or clasps, which is really something you don't want. I know because I've had a pretty big Jew-fro before. Realistically, the ideal haircut if you're wearing one of those helmets would be close-cropped.
>>
>>87853777

Neither do you with your butthurt and your crying about black history month into this.
>>
>>87853810

>He outgrew the whole young hot-shot who only cares about publicity a long time ago.

That was the point I was trying to make in regards to riri you doofus.
>>
>>87853810
The torch was never really like that in the original run. He took an oath to help mankind with his powers with the rest of the FF on page 13 of issue 1. Issue 1.
ISSUE ONE
>>
>>87853720
Who says I care about her being a lead character?

You suuuuuuuuure love to play in a world full of imaginary things, anon. You suuuuuuuuuuuuuure get defensive pretty quick, anon.
>>
>>87853780
Pointing a fallacy is a fallacy on its own
>>
>>87853862
Not that anon, anon. Also, that is weak shit.
>>
>>87853922
You have just made a fallacy.
>>
>>87853811
>>87853922
Well, anon gave a list of sidekicks and counterparts, when Riri is clearly supposed to replace Iron Man. What exactly is anon proving by listing those particular characters

>>87853815
If she combs it and just puts it in a ponytail she'll be fine
>>
>>87853748

Good post.
>>
>Massive blaxplotation Afro that could never fit in a tech-suit

>is named "Riri" which is essentially a hoodrat slang name that got popular because a hoodrat with the slang name Riri got famous.

>was literally a racial concept before she was a real character, as stated to us by her creators who just wanted a black ironman girl named "Riri" before they knew anything else.

the only thing I don't understand is how blacks don't eventually get sick of the patronizing pandering.
>>
>>87853810
>You are aware that Johnny Storm actually does care. He outgrew the whole young hot-shot who only cares about publicity a long time ago. Yes, he still acts like an immature kid at some points, but he always knows when to be serious and when not to be.

Yes...several books later. Riri hasn't been given an entire arc yet. Johnny Storm has had years of publication to back it.

>She built it because she wanted to prove she was smart. She did not do it to be a hero. In fact, it seems that most of her 'heroics' are her just showing off her suit and experimenting with what she can do.

Do you know how many "heroes" in the Marvel universe, aren't really heroes, just people pursuing their own interest. When given room, many heroes out grow their past intentions and embrace their new found fate.

Somehow her wanting to push her own scientific boundaries isn't enough motive for you.
>>
New characters are lifeblood of shared universes
>>
>>87854037
Page 13 of issue fuckin 1. The fact that Waid and other lesser writers regressed him is of no consequence.,
>>
>>87854025
>was literally a racial concept before she was a real character, as stated to us by her creators who just wanted a black ironman girl named "Riri" before they knew anything else.

Well, so were Black Panther, Luke Cage, The Falcon, and various other heroes. They were always pushed to the black demographic in favor of Marvel being more progressive.

Also Riri isn't a "hoodrat" slang name.
>>
>>87852131
Secret Wars I was when Rhodey was Iron Man and nobody knew. Infinity Gauntlet was when Eric Masterson was Thor and nobody knew.
>>
>>87854037
>I have never read the FF.
Obviously.
>>
>>87854118
yes, yes it is, you don't live in the ghetto, I do, so fuck off.

and "Riri" will be abandoned in 2 years tops, as is the case of all failure legacy characters, they swing and a miss till they get a Kamala again, and they'll just keep swinging.
>>
>>87853810
>She doesn't though. Her entire origin is literally, 'I built this just to prove I can'. She did not build it to save lives. That wasn't its purpose. She built it because she wanted to prove she was smart. She did not do it to be a hero. In fact, it seems that most of her 'heroics' are her just showing off her suit and experimenting with what she can do.

LOL Damn, the character hasn't even been around that long. Give her time to grow.
>>
>>87852203
Yes, because MC2 worked out so well for them.
>>
>>87852237
Yeah, her best friend and dad were killed in a drive-by shooting.
>>
File: image.jpg (260KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
260KB, 960x720px
"I am calling myself the Human Torch and I am with you all the way!"
That seems pretty commited to helping people right there.
>>
>>87854118
having a person's legit first name be "Riri" is exactly like having their first name be "Sharty" or "bitch" or "juicy" or any other number of black female slang names.

Riri is what happens when an old Jewish guy tries to be hip.
>>
>>87854143
If it's HOODRAT slang from the GHETTO then mostly likely the ghetto folks won't be spending money to read or going online to read this, so "Riri" being derogatory is actually not a big deal.
>>
>>87854150
you act as if this character won't be abandoned swiftly...........
>>
>>87854167
Really, that's something anyway. Not great, but something.
>>
>>87854143
>yes, yes it is, you don't live in the ghetto, I do, so fuck off.
1. I've lived in the ghetto before. Riri isn't a hoodrat name. If the person isn't a "hoodrat" then how could it be a hoodrat name?

2. You don't have to live in the ghetto to realize this. Maybe you know this because you don't live in the ghetto.

>and "Riri" will be abandoned in 2 years tops, as is the case of all failure legacy characters, they swing and a miss till they get a Kamala again, and they'll just keep swinging.

I can see this.
>>
>>87854224
You act like Miles isn't still around. You act like the character doesn't have the chance to be brought back by other writers...
>>
>>87852730
>mfw I'm a hero for fun
>>
>>87854224
>>87854143
Nova and Miles are still around. Robbie is in Agents of Shield.
>>
Kinda feels like a cop-out to introduce another super genius level black female when Moon Girl already exists (and is in a much better comic)
>>
File: Meanwhile_at_Marvel_Comics.jpg (241KB, 780x1182px) Image search: [Google]
Meanwhile_at_Marvel_Comics.jpg
241KB, 780x1182px
>>
>>87854037
>Yes...several books later. Riri hasn't been given an entire arc yet. Johnny Storm has had years of publication to back it.
True, but there was acknowledgement when Johnny was not acting like a hero should. Here there is no awareness. Riri gets praised by other characters and held up on a pedestal

>Do you know how many "heroes" in the Marvel universe, aren't really heroes, just people pursuing their own interest. When given room, many heroes out grow their past intentions and embrace their new found fate.

... Are you serious?

Have you read Marvel Comics, I mean really read them? Marvel Heroes are fucking heroes. It is only if you read shitty books which flanderize them which make them out to be bad people.

>Somehow her wanting to push her own scientific boundaries isn't enough motive for you.

No. Because she isn't. She is not trying to push any boundaries. She is currently just showing off. The whole 'Iron Heart' thing is her way of flaunting her intelligence. In the hands of any other writer she could easily be a villain.
>>
>>87853215
So her origin is that iron man takes her as an apprentice? That's lame. Even Robin got more than that.
>>
File: 4263910-51aefc9f3a4ac25636.jpg (400KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
4263910-51aefc9f3a4ac25636.jpg
400KB, 1920x1080px
>>87854356
The majority of these characters are simply cop-outs to virtue signal to "progressives" about how super-awesome Marvel is. The worst part? They're not even taking established characters and letting them assume the mantle anymore, like with Rhodes and Iron Man or Sam and Captain America.

They're just making shit up to put as many "oppressed" types of people they can think of in established names without even bothering to make brand new characters.
>>
>>87854418
No, Tony is most likely dead. Riri gets a post mortem Tony AI to help her fight crime
>>
>>87854225
In the storytime for it, the thread came to the conclusion that she'd have worked better as a Punisher legacy using a mechsuit (called Ironskull instead of Ironheart) rather than an Iron Man legacy.
>>
File: 1464240226711.gif (2MB, 415x312px) Image search: [Google]
1464240226711.gif
2MB, 415x312px
>>87852380
>>87851727

>it's a black hero
>OK I don't care
>casual theft
>no, wait
>she's on a MIT campus on a scholarship at a very young age
>she rebuilt the Iron Man suit
>with things she found
>so she's walking around a tech campus stealing thousands of dollars in electronics she just sees lying around
>super genius is a dumb thief character with about as much moral grounding as most street level crooks

Always hilarious when these great progressive writers racism themselves right in the foot, innit.
>>
>>87854405
>... Are you serious?
Yes

>Have you read Marvel Comics, I mean really read them? Marvel Heroes are fucking heroes. It is only if you read shitty books which flanderize them which make them out to be bad people.

No. Those lines are extremely blurred sometimes. Not all the heroes ACT like heroes all of the time. It's not so black and white in the Marvel Universe. On top of that, this isn't just in shitty books, theres long arcs where heroes are painted villains and villains are redeemed heroes. This occurs consistently in Marvel.

>The whole 'Iron Heart' thing is her way of flaunting her intelligence. I

I'm not quite getting the problem here. She's showing off okay. She's smart and doesn't save people for moral obligations, just because she wants to test her suit and flex her brain power. Where is there an issue? She's a character out of thousands of others out there. If that's her motivation, that's just that. Her motivation.

It's the same way with other heroes. Just saving people because heroes save people.
>>
>>87854384
This would be funny, if Marvel had any notable black writers they pushed. It's not blacks making these calls.
>>
This has been an interesting discussion, but holy fuck I can't care enough about IM to go on.
It has got to be just about the weakest comics franchise to last this long.
>>
>>87854626
Except the part where she's stealing and doing good with what she stole.
>>
>name her riri
>want people not to think she's retarded
>>
>>87854721

The pacing of the page is that she put it together on an impulse, to see if she could. Any good she did was after the fact.
>>
>>87852717
Actually she is.

Claremont created Jubileebecause he want Dazzler dead. Jubilee was her replacement.

Silvestri saved Alison though, and Jubilee found a new legacy character status with Jim Lee being the one to push Jubilee as the replacement for Kitty Pryde as Wolverines sidekick
>>
>>87854721
>excuse me why are you stealing that we need it to learn
>it's okay I'll put it to better use than you ever will

Well I guess she can just have it, then
>>
>>87852934

Robyn Rachel Johnson, nicknamed Riri by her friends, is a college student and an engineering prodigy at a Philadelphia University who has Tony Stark as her idol.

One day while walking home from school with her boyfriend, collateral damage (from Civil War 2 shit) takes place and a large slab of concrete heads towards the two of them.

The boyfriend pushes her out of the way while he is crushed by debris. She desperately yells for help but no one, not even the heroes (who are preoccupied fighting each other) comes.

She asks her dying boyfriend why he saved her and he replies "I always wanted to be a hero. At least I was able to save one person." (It's later revealed that his family is the marvel equivalent of mobsters, and he wanted to be something better)

After a fit of anger and despair, she chooses to use her knowledge to create sort of half-assed power suit, which is great at first but slows her down, she can't fly or shoot lasers. It's basically just a strength-enhancing exo-skeleton.

Eventually she gets into a pickle though and when trouble and she seems to be beaten, Rhodey (he survives his run-in with Thanos in this hypothetical situation) saves her, as it turns out he was investigating her, since she started doing heroics in his home town.

Eventually the two would become like a father-daughter team of Iron Suits, with Rhodes never having been able to settle down, and with Robyn's father MIA. As time goes on her armor gets better and better as she and Rhodey's niece come up with various new enhancements to it as the series goes on.
>>
>>87854918
That isn't a legacy, anon.
>>
File: 453344_calslater_member-berries.png (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
453344_calslater_member-berries.png
2MB, 2000x2000px
>>87851885
Member when comic book crossovers meant something? Now we have series crossing over before they had any time to establish themselves.
>>
>>87852717
>>87854962
Note: Riri didn't still the outfit she built her own from parts she stole. There's a difference.
>>
>>87852131
Secret Wars. At that time only Captain America, Wasp, and a few others knew Tony Stark was originally Iron Man but they didn't know who the replacement was. Rhodey probably didn't get around to revealing his identity till West Coast Avengers and that was only to some of the Avengers.
>>
>>87852548
What was the point of Beta Ray Bill at all? It was to explore the concept of "worthiness" by giving Thor's sacred power to a hideous alien that turned out to be pure of heart. It had a point.

What was the point of Jane as Whor? I doubt it's even half as deep.
>>
>>87855098
Jubilee still isn't a legacy of Dazler anymore than D-Man is a legacy of Bucky or the Falcon.
Side-kicks partnes are a whole different deal and serve a distinct narrative purpose in most cases.
>>
>>87855265
Historically, legacy roles haven't always been given to sidekicks or characters the heroes dealt with personally. A lot of the times, it's some "prodigy" like character who gets his/her life amped up by their new found fate.
>>
>>87854640
I am not going to argue with you. It is obvious that your mind has been made up. So there was is no point anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I like diversity. I think that it is needed, but I am also aware of the flaws of what is currently occurring.
>>
File: 1479691832791.jpg (153KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1479691832791.jpg
153KB, 640x1136px
>>87851727
Riri is cute! A CUTE!
>>
>>87854212
Riri is a DOG NAME. god people are fucking retarded
>>
File: 1412652011845.gif (404KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
1412652011845.gif
404KB, 500x346px
>>87852548

If someone puts on the Fonz's leather jacket, they don't become the Fonz while the actual Fonz becomes just Arthur.

No, the person becomes "the prick that is wearing the Fonz's jacket" and the Fonz just becomes pissed off.
>>
>>87854384

>>>/pol/
>>
>>87853417
This anon is a retard who thinks hair is solid, but I am worried this bitch will get scalped when she tries to take her helmet off. Long hair of any kind doesn't like helmets.
>>
Justify what? Idk how you can have a problem with marvel trying to change things up when they've had the same characters for decades
>>
File: 1266919697385.jpg (45KB, 610x437px) Image search: [Google]
1266919697385.jpg
45KB, 610x437px
>>87851727
It's an entirely new superhero so no one should care unless it's good.

This i firmly believe. If they took at previously real superhero and made it that then they deserve the immense drop in sales that they will get.
>>
>>87851727
Am I the only black guy who feels we don't need new black characters like riri? Besides when I was in school "riri" or "rere" was short for retarded. Besides this feels like an inorganic corporate move and tumblr took the bait. Look up riri williams there and you'll see nothing but worship. It's crazy.
>>
>>87856043
>Man I sure love chocolate ice cream
>What's this, it doesn't taste anything like chocolate ice cream, but it has chocolate on the label
Sorry Anon, if you look closely, it clearly states it's Nu-Chocolate and has completely replaced the old Chocolate flavor
>But it tastes like shit, why would they do this? Why would they completely replace the old Chocolate that's been around for decades, instead of simply offering this as an alternative?
It's progress. Check your Cischocolate privilege.
>>
>>87856025
Fuck off.
>>87853815
>>
>>87852528

And Jubilee is mostly pulled off as a dumb kid trying too hard to be cool. For Riri the book doesn't have this self awareness instead it thinks she really is the best coolest smartest thing ever.
>>
ayooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
File: 20160628_popeye.png (50KB, 850x304px) Image search: [Google]
20160628_popeye.png
50KB, 850x304px
>>87851727
>Justify this

Sure thing. You see, no comics fan gave a shit about Tony Stark for years now, and the sales on his book prove it. So Marvel replaced him, and the instant they did, all those people who hadn't given two shits about Tony for years suddenly started acting like they were his biggest fans. They get furious at a change to something they had no investment in.

Consequently Marvel loses nothing and gains a lot of publicity and new readers.
>>
>>87852391
It happened before most people here were born so therefore they don't care.
>>
>>87857295
nice meme. but in that comic popeye wasn't remade black
>>
>>87852250
Marlel unironically thinks this
>>
>>87852391
People like Bill
>>
>>87851727
It is Marvel's IP and they can do with it what they wish.

Doesn't mean you have to like it, but it's well within their rights.
>>
>>87851727
Marvel™'s Minority Authorities© verses the Inequality Corps©
>>
>>87857702
Iron Man not black either tho? Neither is Tony Stark. Problem?
>>
>>87857702
Oh is that the issue?
>>
im kinda whatever on their whole 'diversity' thing overall. sure, i get that young black/latino/female kids want a hero that looks like them, but it seems like they're missing the forest for the trees.

nothing i've seen from riri so far screams 'unique personality', it's all just aping Tony Stark.
take his tech, take his name, have his AI help her out, etc. hell, they didn't even bother to change the suit besides making it smaller. the whole idea seems half baked:

> black female teenager builds an iron man suit based off tony stark's technology
> her comic is "Invincible Iron Man" (not to be confused with "Invincible Iron Man" with Tony Stark as Iron Man)
> her suit is the exact fucking same
> her name (Ironheart) was the name of an Iron Man jav parody

god damn it marvel. there's a way to do this right, you know
>>
>>87856183
The thing is, New Vanilla is right next to Vanilla Classic. Meaning Vanilla Classic isn't gone, they just put New Vanilla in the front row.

It's just them trying to push New Vanilla to garner the interest of people who got tired of Vanilla Classic.
>>
>>87857702

You got a problem with people's skin tones?
>>
>>87857822
>>87857838
>>87857973
WOW EPIC
>>
>>87851877
>Does it really need justification though
>the mass remarketting of classic character
No
>the mass remarketting of classic characters to legacy characters
Maybe
>the mass remarketting of classic characters to diversity hires because evil whitey
Certainly.
>>
File: BrBill.jpg (204KB, 800x494px) Image search: [Google]
BrBill.jpg
204KB, 800x494px
>>87852391

If Whor or Riri get a scene as good as this, they're justified. If they can manage that then they can begin the climb to Bill's level.
>>
>>87858032
>the mass remarketting of classic characters to diversity hires because evil whitey

That's a stretch though. Because if that was the case Tony wouldn't be her idol/mentor.
>>
>>87857973
>>87857838
>>87857822
i was pointing out the fact that the comic strip didnt resemble the social issue people are having with iron man. if he had been complaining that popeye being made black the comic would have been more relevent. personally i dont give a shit because i have never touched a comic in my life (but i have watched all the movies and think rdj is great).

RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH BLACK CHARACTERS OR PEOPLE IN THE MEDIA FUCK YOU i just like rdj ok?
>>
>>87858049
Not really at all. Check the current castings. LOTS of legacy heros taking over. Almost all legacies whether having taken up the mantle or sharing it are diversity casted. That new teen team with myles and kamala is a PERFECT example of what I am talking about.
>>
>>87858075
Alright then, you wouldn't like Tony in the comics then. RDJ played that part. He made that character. Tony Stark is now being written a little different because of RDJs acting.
>>
>>87852548
because the horse has an actual interesting personality and development. No one's afraid of trying different things if the character's a fucking horse.

But if it's a woman? The safest route is the make the character completely bland and shallow to avoid offending anyone.
>>
>>87858076
Still a leap. Them choosing different ethnicity isn't them calling white people evil, it's them trying to reach a broader audience. The fact that you internalize this and make it seem that way, says a lot about your character.
>>
>>87858117
they might replace him tho ;_;
>>
>>87858076
How in anyway does that implicate they're calling WHITEY EVUL?
>>
>>87858144
Absolutely not. The highest paycheck in the cast. They're not touching RDJ. Even still he doesn't have long to play Ironman anyway. His contract is almost up.
>>
>>87858128

Well this is a new character and you neckbeards are already hating it. It's like a knee-jerk reaction to always hate new characters who aren't white dudes.
>>
>>87858075

I bet you don't even read Iron Man comics.
>>
>>87852380
What the fuck is this art

It reminds me of those early 2000's porn games with the shitty CG women, just with a high-contrast filter over it
>>
>>87858158
That was hyperbole but when existing diversity character and even newly made characters are being made to replace white chacters, there's something to it. Clearly one type of character is more valuable to the company than others.
What constitutes that change in value is irrelevant. Whether it's being evul or otherwise doesn't matter. The reality is there are clear biases being shown,
>>
>>87852787
Rhodie taking over as the actual Iron Man wouldn't be nearly as bad with me because he's been a long-time supporting character for him, most of that time including an armor suit.

I wasn't around when Falcon became Cap (for all I know there was a huge shitstorm), but that's the same reason why (in isolation) I was fine with the idea of it. When you add those onto Hulk being Chinese, Thor being a woman, new Ms. Marvel being a Muslim, etc. it starts to become a problem because it's blatant and obnoxious.
>>
>>87858172
well i guess i won't complain then. i'll just go back to /meta/
>>
>>87858076
>Almost all legacies whether having taken up the mantle or sharing it are diversity casted.

Okay....your point? Maybe Miles, i'll give you him since he's Spidey. But no one gave a fucking about Ms. Marvel and don't pretend you do. Kamala was the best thing that happened to that role. Robbie was a great Ghost Rider and Nova is meh. Cap Falcon had it coming seeing he was always by Captain America's side. Cho, Miles, and Riri are the only 3 I can see holding up a legit argument for quality.
>>
>>87858179
>new
you're reaching. It's been just a month over 2 years since she's become Thor. It's not like she just became Thor this week or some shit. I don't care if she's a woman, I care if she's an interesting character or not.

If you replace an original character with a new successor to their title, you better make that character fucking MORE interesting than the original, otherwise what other reason are you doing it in the first place? Marvel's recent "replacement" characters have been lacking heavily on the interesting level. It's almost like they're replacing characters with minorities just BECAUSE they're minorities. But who would ever do that of course
>>
>>87855088
>Member when comic book crossovers meant something? Now we have series crossing over before they had any time to establish themselves.
No lol. Spidey crossed over with the F4 in his second appearance.
>>
>>87852730
>It literally is a girl becoming a hero for the hell of it. She does not care about saving lives or anything like that. She just cares about showing people that she is smart. There is nothing noble about her and her origin.
This actually sounds fresh and compelling
Either have her learn to be a hero like Zenith or write it more like a Tommy Monaghan where she's a cunt but sympathetic and fun to read about.
But of course it's Bendis at SJMarvel so she'll be perfect, no one around her will have a problem with her actions (a huge thing missing from modern capes, minor side antagonists!) And she won't experience hardship outside of shock deaths and offscreen status quo changes (oh no i am broke now/failed all my classes lol)
>>
>>87858204
>when existing diversity character and even newly made characters are being made to replace white chacters, there's something to it.

Yea. To try something new. Reach a different fanbase. Legacy characters are nothing new. They always manage to turn heads and Marvel isn't doing anything new by doing it, seeing how they've done it so much throughout their publication history.

>Clearly one type of character is more valuable to the company than others.

Nope. If that was the case they'd just kill them off all together. Like I said before, cheap shot at getting a new audience. If it doesn't work, then it's a failed attempt, but that's what it is. Not them saying "Fuck Spiderman" obviously they feel Spiderman has enough stories for someone new to add to his lore. Even if the person is shitty and you or I don't like them.

>The reality is there are clear biases being shown

How so? The older characters are stilling getting love and much attention, they're just trying new ones.

The thing you're not getting is, them showing love to newer characters aren't them saying fuck the old ones or they prefer the new ones over the old ones, it's them as a business pursuing another endeavor of a character.
>>
>>87852730
>>87858292
To be fair though, she sounds like the perfect successor to Tony in this case.

If Marvel is truly based, they wont be afraid to turn her character into a mega bitch just like Tony and fuck people over Civil War style.
>>
>>87858221
I think they're all trash other than Robbie, let's get that out of the way. Further what I thought about Ms. Marvel is irrelevant, what I am noting is the behaviour and attitudes being employed across the board by Marvel (writers and editorial) in terms of new characters and existing mantles.

There is a pattern, there is a pattern. The meaning is unknown but easily speculated. That is what I am saying and you would be hard pressed to deny it.
>>
>>87858305
>to try something new.
Why not make 'diverse' characters. Why is it so often legacies or other characters out right mantle taking? That isn't 'new' it's just an old concept recycled. There's no more difference to characterisation than between runs/movies/cartoons. What has changed, what is 'new' is their clear agenda.
>other characters are still getting love
>thor LITERALLY taking himself down and saying Jane was the best Thor and the true weilder of mjonir
Get fucked my friend.
>>
File: 1479387921986.png (28KB, 197x163px) Image search: [Google]
1479387921986.png
28KB, 197x163px
Are there any Marvel heroes left that HAVEN'T been replaced by a minority?
>>
>>87852787
Iron Man was a separate identity from Tony Stark back then (moviefag detector's needle is buzzing) IIRC Tony also specifically asked him to take the mantle because Tony had relapsed
Captain America is obviously a symbol and title that transcends an individual.
Fem Thor could be good, it could harken back to the Kirby stories with the dual identity and even have the medical element but instead it's at best a mediocre and all too long pisstake on white feminism and at worst a shitty book that has yet another do no wrong female protagonist
>>
>>87858373
It's JUST a coincidence, man.
>>
>>87858305
>Legacy characters
>They always manage to turn heads
Objectively untrue. I also, for the life of me cannot think of a female or non-white legacy character that has been as successful as Wally West or Kyle Rayner (him being Latino is a fucking footnote that most people forget), or arguably Dick Grayson carrying his own book.
>>
>>87858319
>Further what I thought about Ms. Marvel is irrelevant, what I am noting is the behaviour and attitudes being employed across the board by Marvel (writers and editorial) in terms of new characters and existing mantles.

But that is relevant. Because there was literally nothing wrong with Kamala taking the mantle. It was written with quality. The only thing you can complain about is them changing the background of the old character, which really isn't much to complain about seeing how this has been happening in comic books for the last few decades. Since it was conceived characters have taken up the roles of their past counterparts.

>There is a pattern, there is a pattern.

Well obviously. That's not saying much.

>The meaning is unknown but easily speculated. That is what I am saying and you would be hard pressed to deny it.

It's not unknown. It's clear as day. They want attention. They want to reach certain demographics. They want new readers. That's all it is to it.
>>
>>87858348
New characters dont sell outright, look at Solo, and Marvel is all about cashing in on #1s right now. Putting a black or woman in a popular character's title not only courts the (nonexistent) tumblr money but it's a perfect excuse to relaunch
A new character has to be a minor character in a solo book, then a mainstay in a team book, then a guest star or then have a really good mini, then they are ready for Solo viability.
It also takes a dedicated creator or editor to ensure the character stays consistent and well characterized across the company to maintain the potential for a solo. If someone (likely Bendis in this scenario) goes and makes them a genocidal maniac or a serial killer or even something as simple as a cunt who has lost all ties to the X-Men/Avengers/Fantastic Four etc it hurts the character's future brand potential.
Also I really don't think being a legacy is something that inherently removes the "freshness" of a character, Look at Kamala Khan or Jamie Reyes, completely out there concept wise from their predecessors while being pretty bonafide legacies with connection to the old characters. Even Kyle Rayner has the exact same powers as Hal but managed to feel very fresh, and fuck Guy and John did that while still having the frame of the GLC and Hal as the main GL.
Tl;dr Marvel won't make new characters because its harder to get sales quicker which is all they're interested in, but legacies are not inherently unfresh and recycled as you claim.
>>
>>87858528
>Objectively untrue. I also, for the life of me cannot think of a female or non-white legacy character that has been as successful as Wally West or Kyle Rayner

It's controversial now. People don't pick them up without thinking there's some sort of agenda. There is, as there are with all forms of media, but now people are more militant about what they support and which characters they support. It isn't about the hobby anymore, because in the past you'd pick something up and just read it for the hell of it .

This is partly due to the comic books creators as well. People think they're being bashed aside the head with politics. Which is true, but comics have always stood on the grounds of politics. They've always address social issues and for the most part have always been left leaning. Now it's the implication that they're pandering to SJWs and so forth and I can see this being problematic.

I just want to emphasize, that this is nothing new.
>>
>>87855899

>(You)

>>>/out/
>>
>>87858348
>Why not make 'diverse' characters. Why is it so often legacies or other characters out right mantle taking?

It garners attention and numbers for a brief period.

>That isn't 'new' it's just an old concept recycled

It is new. It's a new take on the character. Ultimately you can give Ironman a new story arc, but what hasn't Tony been through that will keep the readers....reading. You like Ironman? How about we give you a new take on Ironman. A young prodigy taking on the mantle of Ironman, what will she do differently? How will it end for her?

>There's no more difference to characterisation than between runs/movies/cartoons.

There is though. Kamala isn't like the old Ms Marvel. Robbie isn't like the old Ghost Riders. Sam isn't like the old Nova. Captain Falcon isn't like the old Captain America. They provide different backgrounds and sometimes settings that is enough to keep things fresh and rolling.

>What has changed, what is 'new' is their clear agenda.

X-men is as clear as an agenda you can get. Hell every thing they put out around that time period was up in your face. I mean look at Luke Cage's earlier stuff. They've always shoved this leftist agenda in their shit. Not that, that's a problem.

>thor LITERALLY taking himself down and saying Jane was the best Thor and the true weilder of mjonir

Maybe not Thor, but Captain America, Ironman, and Spiderman still have their own ongoings.
>>
>>87858528
denying Kyle as a latino character to make your point is pretty shit. And on top of all of this, are there any legacies period as big as Wally and Dick? I mean neither of those two have even fully outstripped the characters they spawned from, but they do inarguably sell they best. Barry and Hal are theoretically the most successful legacies themselves actually.
>>
>>87858348
>What has changed, what is 'new' is their clear agenda.

>Professor X is Martin Luther King Jr.
>Magneto is Malcolm X
>The mutant fight is said to reflect the struggle African-Americans went through during that time
>Shows Americans irrationally hating Muties who "dindu noffins!"

I don't know about you, but Marvel has been on this for decades now.
>>
>>87858693
Jaime Reyes is latino.

Kyle Rayner is as Latino as Sam Wilson is, aka only when it's convenient and literally never else.
>>
>>87854384
Is this a reference to Priest or...?
>>
>>87851727
-She's cute

-She makes altrightfags (the bastard children of fedora tippers and sjw) cry

What more justifications are needed?
>>
>>87855088
Look at this little casual poser
When people talk about crossovers meaning something, they mean line wide events, you really should know what you're parroting.
Characters have been crossing over to boost sales and gain exposure (which helps establish the character, not hinder that establishment) forever.
>>
>>87858628
I think it's nothing new either... other than the fact they're changing too much in a short period of time.

Think about what else was going on while Jane became Thor--Wolverine was killed off, Sam Wilson became Captain America, Tony Stark remained AXIS'd and became Superior Iron Man. Wasn't Bendis still on X-Men at this time? There's that, too. And Fantastic Four was getting diminished, among other things. Spider-Verse was going on and pissed off a lot of fans.

So it's not so much the replacement heroes in itself is a bad thing, all of this was happening around the same time and it's being bad-by-association. Sort of like how Civil War 2 caused readers to drop titles because it was tying in.
>>
>>87858726
King brought his Catholicism back into the character fold recently, that along with adding his mother as a more regular supporting character could actually add a bunch of latino shit into his book very quickly and easily
On the other side of the coin though, if the only way you think he's legitimately Latino is for him to be shouting "EYYY ESSEEEE VAMANOS! MI MADRE MAKES GREAT ENCHILADAS HOLMES JUU GOTTA COME GET SOME BACK IN MY CASA DIS TEAM ES MI FAMILIA JU KNOO" while fighting the world/universe busting threats he's been mainly dealing with as a character for the past 15 years or so, you're a faggot. Just like in real life race can become such a retarded thing to harp on beyond tangible racism.
>we need representation
>okay here's a representative character
>actually you made a stereotype
>okay, sorry here's a representative character
>wow, no actual elements of their culture? racist
>>
>>87858741
Priest is actually good and qualified though.
The man has been writing comics professionally since he was like 18
>>
>>87858373
Literally the whole current Avengers lineup is "everybody except they're minorities now"

I just don't understand how blatant Marvel could be and yet no one vocally gives a shit

Even if I was a (whatever the overly-obsessed-with-minorities crowd is called?), I'd be mad because it's obvious pandering. There's nothing authentic about it.
>>
>>87858799
>>87858628

Also another problem is that Marvel's gotten too repetitive in too short a time.

Miles Morales worked because replacing a character with a completely new unknown character wasn't something they did on a quarterly basis. When James Rhodes was Thor, Steve Rogers was still Captain America, Peter Parker was still Spider-Man, and so on. When John Walker was Captain America, Thor was Thor. Peter was still Spider-Man, Tony Stark was Iron Man again, Thor was Thor. When Eric Masterson became Thor, Steve was Cap, Peter was Spider-Man, Stark was Iron Man (mostly; since he did "die" briefly late in 1992 and replaced with James Rhodes in the War Machine armor for a few months during the time when Thor was about to come back).

But when Riri and Doom replace Tony Stark, Captain America is still part of Hydra, Spider-Man is still being like Tony Stark, Jane is still Thor, Cyclops is probably dead or something, Half the Fantastic Four are missing, Regular Wolverine is still dead while his alt universe counterpart and X-23 are running around. The X-Men are badly affected by the Terrigen Mists. Bruce Banner is dead while Cho is Hulk and She-Hulk got changed. So while it's stupid to get upset at a character just because it's a replacement character, it's actually understandable if either the writing execution is poor or there's too much change for the sake of change.

On top of that, Riri and Doom replacing Tony just brings to mind Miles Morales (mainly because Bendis is writing both) and Otto Octavius (After Superior Spider-Man there was also Axis/Superior Iron Man). It's just like with all the hero vs hero stories they've been doing under Alonso. It doesn't feel like they have an original idea left.
>>
File: 20161024_180116.jpg (1MB, 1742x1505px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_180116.jpg
1MB, 1742x1505px
>>87859213
>Miles Morales worked
No. If anything, it simply wasn't that controversial because he existed in his little alcove of the Ultimate Universe.
>>
File: 1476910004771.jpg (111KB, 760x570px) Image search: [Google]
1476910004771.jpg
111KB, 760x570px
>>87859213
You mentioning the hero vs hero stories got me thinking

I bet at some point, Marvel is going to do some kind of "grand event" where the all-new, all-minority Avengers and other heroes will fight against the classics and the new win, of course. It'll be the last kick in the balls to anyone who used to be a Marvel fan, saying "out with the old, in with the new."

Especially riding on the anti-Trump/anti-white wagon going on in America, it's definitely going to hit sometime soon, at least within these next 4 years. Since if you break it down, it really is the minorities (new) vs the whites (classics).

Screencap this.
>>
>>87859273
Oh are we doing predictions? Doctor Strange will be the next hero to get minority swapped.

Add me into that screencap senpai.
>>
>>87851885
How is that racist? SJWs pls go.
>>
File: 20161116_040707.jpg (396KB, 415x1242px) Image search: [Google]
20161116_040707.jpg
396KB, 415x1242px
>>87859273
>>87859301
Kamala will become the next Captain America.
>>
>>87859324
He's right. All it does is dilute the crossover to the surface level focus on their race and gender. It's not about 2 young heroes teaming up. It's about 2 GENIUS GIRLS IF COLOR. IS THERE ENOUGH ROOM FOR THEM BOTH LOL?
>>
I wish she wasn't a super genius though, rather a Batman Beyond Terry for Tony minus DNA fuckery.
>>
>>87859213
>When James Rhodes was Thor

Shit, I meant Iron Man.
>>
>>87859353
Yes.
The answer is yes. Comic books have room for two genius chocolates.
That's how a grandma would answer before it for her grandkid.
That's how the grandkid will learn that there's anything more to them.
Do you not want grandmas to buy comics for their grandkids?
Do you not want kids to learn that there's more to a person than their sex and color?
Diluting things to their surface level essence is how successful marketing works.
>>
>>87859417
It actually did happen in Secret Wars, though. http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/James_Rhodes_(Earth-12311)
>>
>>87859423
It's still racism. It's instilling the idea that non white non male people who accomplish LITERALLY ANYTHING are a big fucking deal, making it seem less normal or bachievable to people subconsciously. It should be the standard and norm that anyone of any race and gender can be strong, capable, and intellectual. Bringing it up all the time instead of just letting it be, is completely counterproductive.
>>
>>87859498
*achievable
>>
>>87859498
>I know how language effects everyone subconsciously
Oh gee my favorite leftist argument
>>
>>87859468
Yeah, I was reading that about a day ago and I think I ended up having that in my head.
>>
>>87859498
So any news outlet that makes pro minority represtation articles is racist right? Talking up having non white characters like it's somehow important or abnormal subconsciously makes colored pe- I mean people of color, oppressed, right?
>>
>>87859556
>So any news outlet that makes pro minority represtation articles is racist right?
CORRECT
>>
>>87859543
>leftist
Nice try.

Leftists are the ones wanting to define everyone by there color and genitals and making sure it's shoved into every fucking conversation regardless of context.

It's when we stop that nonsense and allow people to just be fucking people when real progress will be made. And no I'm not some cumstain saying this, I'll a black female. It still makes me cringe seeing this pushed everywhere because what has it actually accomplished? Nothing. Fucking nothing.
>>
>>87859498
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but white(or asian) non male(ie, female) people who accomplish LITERALLY ANYTHING are a big fucking deal. Not everyone can be strong, capable, and intellectual, and of those can be most are white or asian males. Reality doesn't care about what you'd like the standard to be, and the only art that sells is that which reflects reality.

The line does suggest that black female geniuses are a rare in comics as they are IRL, and take as much umbrage with that as you like, but it also points out directly that they still deserve a chance.

As an staunch optimist I focus on the latter half of that message. It's the one kids need to hear. You won't ever convince them that all races and sexes are equal but you can and should convince them that all people are individuals.
>>
>>87852730
>>87854961
Have you actually read her first issue? Because, you know, it's not brilliantly written, but it is basically this. We see her wanting to be able to help people at a young age and getting frustrated at her inability to, and as a teenager her friend gets shot saving her from a driveby shooting.
>>
>>87859609
> And no I'm not some cumstain saying this, I'll a black female.
You mean you are one?
Lol, who cares?
To even bring it up defeats your entire argument.
>>
>>87859543
>>87859609
It's fascinating to see you guys twist yourselves in an argument until you don't even know what you're arguing against anymore.
>>
>>87859984
Listen, pleading that "muh brown people deserve a chance!" has gotten us nowhere. We don't have to pretend blacks and whites are on the same level on terms of success in STEM careers, but making a big fucking deal out of every single person darker than printer paper accomplishing something is patronizing as hell. It does not further "equality", oy only makes bleeding heart people feel better about themselves for 30 seconds.

>>87860019
Yes unfortunately I have to mention my race on /co/mblr making statements like these because if not I'll just be accused of being a white male oppressor. It's happened before. Apparently thinking non whites deserve to not be pat on the head like a good little brownie every time they accomplish things instead of treated like normal humans is super evil and oppressive.

>>87860322
Yeah people are individuals who aren't defined by solely left and right who would have thought
>>
>>87860532
>Yeah people are individuals who aren't defined by solely left and right who would have thought
It's more that you don't even know what left and right ARE anymore.
>>
>>87860537
I never was fully left or right to begin with. Both sides have points where I agree but on a whole they tend to piss me off.
>>
>>87860532
I don't care about equality - except of opportunity, which I believe we already have - and I don't care about bleeding hearts. I just care about little kids being able to have role models. Especially if they're ones that come from fatherless homes. Most of them don't care what color or shape those role models come in, but apparently some do, or at least that's what people have been saying for decades. So if patronizing comics with patronizing marketing helps steer them on the straight and narrow then frankly, the ends are justifying the means.

Nobody is "making" black achievement a big deal either. It just is as a point of fact on account of how seemingly rare it is. A mexican midget winning a gold medal in sprinting would be a big deal likewise.You're angry at the messengers when really you should only be angry at the fact. You should be channeling by anger into it more common, and then making kids that do likewise. The more that you're patronized for being amazing now the less others will be patronized for being amazing later.

In the meantime we're all anons on here, judged only on our words.
>>
>>87859609
>It's when we stop that nonsense and allow people to just be fucking people when real progress will be made.
Pfft. Race is a social construct but no one side is enforcing that construct. Leftists make it a cause to pat themselves on the back for defending but their opposite numbers bitched McDuffie out for months on a sheer coincidence that was only a result of DC's poor editorial practices.
>>
>>87851877
there was already a perfectly good existing black female they could have used instead
>>
>>87851990
because it broke suspension of disbelif
>>
>>87858373
They're only replacing the white ones that have movies. Strange is dead and buried with in a year.
>>
>>87859213
>Miles Morales worked

Miles might have worked if there was a plan for him. All we got was rehashed Peter stories, Peter's supporting cast and because Bendis couldn't figure out what to do with him, a time skip and both Ultimate and 616 Peter telling us Miles is super cool and interesting and totally not devoid of personality.
>>
File: what dat bitch say.gif (2MB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
what dat bitch say.gif
2MB, 500x600px
>>87862482
That was never an option for Bendis. He would never be able to get royalties for a pre-existing character. Only one he made himself. He also gets more bragging rights and a boost to his ego for creating such a "game-changing" and "revolutionary" character. Those quotation marks are to emphasize my sarcasm.
>>
File: black girl hair.jpg (58KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
black girl hair.jpg
58KB, 450x600px
>>87851990
Nah, the new hair is more cute.
>>
>>87851727
Wow.

Way to gave Lila the fucking shaft.
>>
>>87852787
both were fine for me, as they were supporting members in their stories and know the person whose mantle they are assuming quite well beforehand.
>>
>>87862865
Funny thing is they literally introduced a female minority Iron Man (who could possibly be gay as well) last year who is tied to Tony by being the daughter of Ho Yinsen.
>>
File: Toni Ho.jpg (1MB, 1400x1984px) Image search: [Google]
Toni Ho.jpg
1MB, 1400x1984px
>>87862865
>>87862945
Forgot pic
>>
>>87862945
See >>87862776

It's not about originality or respecting the past. It's about royalties and street cred.
>>
Hol' up.

Isn't Doom the new Iron Man? Riri is called Ironheart, unless they changed stuff since I last heard.
>>
>>87852030
A cute! Too bad about just being another Iron Man spin-off without any apparent identifying armor differece. At least making hers blue, keeping the animu robot helmet or something.
>>
>>87862865
So how do you explain the pushback against Sam as Captain America given that he had just as much history as John or Bucky, if not moreso?
>>
>>87863001
Riri is called Ironheart, but the book she's occupying is still called "Invincible Iron Man" for shallow marketing reasons. Less people will buy a book called "Ironheart". The name recognition will artificially boost sales just like it's been doing for Miles.
>>
>>87863073
So what's the Doom book called?
>>
>>87863094
"Infamous Iron Man"

The armor is literally a silver Stark suit with a hooded cloak.
>>
>>87863046
Because Captain America is popular now thanks to the movies. Watkins was decades ago as part of a storyline and ended up with the name USAgent later, and Buckycap was under the "wait, I heard that Marvel killed Captain America off" tier.
>>
>>87863126
Ah, ok.

Why aren't people bitching about Doom too? Don't get me wrong I never gave a shit about Iron Man so Doom and Riri having Iron Man books doesn't bother me. It just seems weird that everyone is so fixated on Riri when Doom also takes over the Iron Man identity and has a book titled Infamous Iron Man.
>>
>>87863153
Because Doom is an existing character and is one of the most wanked characters, without the backlash others like Wolverine get over time.
>>
>>87863153
>Why aren't people bitching about Doom too?
Doom and Iron Man have a long history of duels and team ups. It's one of the few pieces of continuity that Bendis actually respects. So ino some way it makes sense as a temporary change of status quo. No one is under the impression that this will last for long.
>>
>>87851727
Justify what, he misshapen afro?
>>
>>87852391
But Bill may be better than Thor.
>>
File: 1479342502505.jpg (130KB, 421x547px) Image search: [Google]
1479342502505.jpg
130KB, 421x547px
so what's going to happen when little miss "I hate guns" learns that her idol is the guy that built this thing
>>
>>87863750
She will realize she is a gun and have traumatic looking at her own hands and seeing blood running through them despite there being none.
>>
>>87859264
>>87862757
Miles Morales worked in the sense that at the time it didn't seem like Marvel was replacing for the sake of replacing. Yes, the fact that it was in the Ultimate universe helped. But what else was going on then and going all the way back to 2006? Steve Rogers was replaced by Bucky, and that felt "natural." And by the time Miles was introduced, Steve was already back. Johnny Storm was "killed" around the same time Ultimate Peter was killed. Thor was alive again in 2007. There was enough time for fans to get invested in the change. Sure, Miles' characterization could be better, but that's more of an argument over Bendis' writing skills post-2010 (and about how the Ultimate line was getting marginalized by Marvel) than replacement heroes in general.
>>
File: 20161116_041239.jpg (782KB, 1983x611px) Image search: [Google]
20161116_041239.jpg
782KB, 1983x611px
>>87865993
>at the time it didn't seem like Marvel was replacing for the sake of replacing.
That's an extremely forgiving view on what happened. Miles was actually the first instance of Marvel replacing for the sake of replacing. Bendis was a huge supporter of Donald Glover as the next live action Spider-Man. So much so that it directly influenced him to make the decision to kill off Peter and replace him with a black kid. A black kid just like Bendis' own adopted black kids.

Anyone who wasn't immediately turned off by the change, decided it was OK because Miles had "potential". Ok then. 5 or 6 years later and where are we now with Miles? Square zero.
>>
>>87866134
>Ok then. 5 or 6 years later and where are we now with Miles?
Still being written by the same guy. He has potential under another writer by Bendis won't allow someone else to write his solo.
>>
>>87866279
>He has potential under another writer
He's been written by several writers, most recently Waid, and he STILL hasn't done anything worthy of living up to this preconceived "potential".
>>
>>87866134
> Miles was actually the first instance of Marvel replacing for the sake of replacing.

But that's mainly because you know it in hindsight. If it's the first, most readers who only got into comics within the last five years (at that point) wouldn't think it would become a trend. And the readers who were around since the 90's or earlier would think that it'd be similar to the other times someone replaced a hero.

>Anyone who wasn't immediately turned off by the change, decided it was OK because Miles had "potential". Ok then. 5 or 6 years later and where are we now with Miles? Square zero.

Again, you only know this in hindsight. The only things someone reading comics back when Miles was introduced was that Bendis decompresses too much, that people were disappointed in Avengers but still held USM and Daredevil and Alias and all that in high esteem.

That's the difference between Miles and Riri. Miles was introduced when people were still willing to give Bendis the benefit of the doubt, while Riri was introduced when far more readers became disenchanted with Bendis' comics and had the numerous replacement heroes going on at the same time--Cho Hulk, Jane Thor, Sam Cap, X-23 Wolverine.
>>
>>87866692
>But that's mainly because you know it in hindsight.
No. I dropped USM years ago because I saw the change for what it was. My belief was validated in the following years since then.

I also knew Peter would return, despite the fact that some some of you on this board were convinced otherwise. The fact that Peter simply returned to validate Miles and then disappeared forever was something I didn't expect, but by then I was already done with Marvel completely so I didn't care anymore.
>>
>>87852787
thor isnt a nickname, its his actual name. like imagine if miles just up and took over peter parkers life while all everyone endlessly wittered on about how much better miles was at being peter.
admitedly miles might be a poor choice but my (and a fair few others') problems with miles are entirely unrelated to him becoming spiderman
>>
>>87855765
10/10 post
>>
>>87851727
>reading Marvel
Unjustifiable!
>>
>>87862482
fuck no. They need to develop their own identities. A new character is the best choice if Marvel HAS to do this. Besides, Marvel has always had a lacking in prominent black females.
>>
>>87851727
Garnet
>>
>>87852528
But isn't there a difference between "I want to be [Insert team here] member" and "I want to be [Insert specific hero here]"? Far as I know Jubilee never went around going "I want to be Cyclops" or "I want to be Storm" like how Riri's going "I want to be Iron Man".

>>87852391
Bill never wanted to be anyone other than Bill. Even when he had Mjolnir he never went around going "I am Thor".
>>
>White bois getting triggered by non-white legacy characters

Will this ever get old? Lol
>>
>>87852928
Because no one here knows anyone that works there.
>>
>>87858280
But it didn't fuck up anyone's story, or require an additional purchase to follow the story at hand.
Stop acting like everything from before is the same as now.
Holy fuck.
>>
So who created Riri and gets a check every time some other writer uses her?
>>
>>87869701
>Misconstruing everything to fit your narrative.
Trump will win again.
Good work, whitey.
>>
>>87854025
Most people will have no idea Riri exists until she shows up in the MCU.
>>
>>87853169
no STEALING is wrong. taking what you've stolen and building a highly advanced is smart, but misguided, hence why she is following in the footsteps of someone more qualified.
>>
>>87854143
>and "Riri" will be abandoned in 2 years tops

Isn't she one of Bendis' babies like Miles? Or did someone else make her?
>>
>>87854167
>black character
>has something to do with gang violence

I can already see tumblr getting angry about this being "racist", "a stereotype", or whatever.
>>
>>87854505
>Tony is dead
>this new character that he most likely only knew for a few months got the AI based on him instead of characters he has know for years/decades like Rhodey or Pepper, etc
>>
>>87869939
>until she shows up in the MCU
So, never? Let's be honest here, Riri will fade into obscurity in less than two years.

Marvel won't even do the Bucky as Cap legacy, let alone Riri replacing RDJ-Man. They'll just retire or recast the character when Downey doesn't want to do the movies anymore.
>>
>>87855098
>I didn't steal this shirt, I made it out of cloth I stole, so it's perfectly fine
>>
>>87858189
I can see the stiff animations even in this still art.

Is this the work of her arch nemesis? That fiend!
>>
>>87858373
Doctor Doom.
>>
File: 1385920834496.png (92KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1385920834496.png
92KB, 320x287px
>>87851727

Am I the only one who doesn't hate Riri? I'm just glad there's a hero from Chicago and not NY
>>
>>87863775
Will she fly into a nuke after that?
>>
>>87870658
i can't get upset over this because tony has been shit for so long that honestly getting rid of him is a mercy killing
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.