[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At this point, it's safe to say that this was the best run

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0589.jpg (90KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0589.jpg
90KB, 325x499px
At this point, it's safe to say that this was the best run Batman's ever had.
>>
It's not in the top 50
>>
>>87614686
(you)
>>
>>87614707
Bullshit. Court of Owls alone is probably in the top 5 Batman stories ever. The run is fucking amazing from start to finish.
>>
>>87614754
Very convincing point.
>>
>>87614686
Literally the Call of Duty of Batman runs. Everything about it apart from the CoO will be forgotten when the Rebirth run puts out more and more trades.
>>
>>87614754
>from start to finish
I disagree, it started out strong, but the end g with Lincoln March being Bruce Wayne's maybe brother was a very awful twist. The whole end of that run is extremely forgetable. Any wasn't this even basically just another Batman even that had happened years ago with another secret society in Gotham? It was alright, but it's held in high regard because it was literally "Baby's first Batman comic."
>>
>>87614686

I'm with OP. Worst part of it was Bloom. And even that is arguable.

It's no Morrison. But I'd like to hear what people specifically hated.
>>
>>87614754
>run is fucking amazing from start to finish.

Is that including the entirely pointless "forgotten older brother thats totally not ripping off Morrison" issue?
>>
>>87614686
The entire introduction of Bane until his defeat by Bataman, was waaaay better.
>>
>>87615865
>"forgotten older brother thats totally not ripping off Morrison" issue?
morrison ripped it off too idiot. And march wasn't his brother
>>
>>87614686
Fuck off
>>
>>87614686
>pleb detected
>>
OP is correct. Snyder's run at the point King's runis at now was already firing on all cylinders. King's shit fucking sucks
>>
>>87615863
You really think Morrison's faux intellectual bullshit was better than a straight up good Batman run? Fuck off pleb. That Batman and Robin shit was fucking dumb too.
>>
>>87614686
Dick's Batman was better tbqh.
>>
>>87614686

Snyder's Batman is an awful run. Don't understand why people rave about it. It doesn't compare to any of the classic runs.
>>
>>87617080
>baby's first Batman run
This should explain a lot to you anon.
>>
Only the Court of the Owls was alright, the rest is just bad and his Joker is the worst of all.
Snyder should stick to American Vampire.

Also, O'Neil run is the best run.
>>
>>87617136
You mean grant/breyfogle, right anon?
>>
File: black-mirror-3.jpg (779KB, 1607x1235px) Image search: [Google]
black-mirror-3.jpg
779KB, 1607x1235px
>>87614686
Not even close to being the best Snyder Batman run.
>>
It was the run that made me quit comics for a year+
>>
File: 47JRDph.jpg (32KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
47JRDph.jpg
32KB, 400x200px
Court of Owls is cool, Zero Year is cool, the rest is pretty forgettable

so no, morrison shits on it
>>
>>87615863
Death of the Family and Endgame were terrible
>>
>>87616503

Who did Morrison rip off? He brought a weird one off character from deep Bat continuity in for a plot twist. Snyder brought in literally the exact same character for the exact same plot twist.

And that's not even getting into the Owls vs. the Black Glove
>>
>>87614686
>At this point, it's safe to say that this was the best run Batman's ever had.HAHHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH no
>>
>>87614707
Ummm, you forgot this run gave us fan favorite Harper Row right??
>>
>>87614686
At this point it's safe to say O'Neil is still the only good Batman writer
>>
At least we can all agree Snyder shits on King
>>
>>87617787
I disagree, King is more subtle with his writing opposed to Synder who was very on the nose, and I think that's the problem, Batfags are so used to Batman spoonfeeding them that they have forgotten what good, subtle writing looks like.
>>
>>87617891
Fuck off with the subtle bullshit and the faux intellectualism ok?
>>
>>87618112
>I don't want to have to think while reading comics
So, are Batfags the Marveldrones of the DC fandom? Because what you're saying is pants on head retarded mang
>>
>>87618112
Anon, that's not faux intellectualism, that's just them expressing personal opinions using words you don't like.
So there's no need to start crap. Is there?
>>
>>87617891
While I agree with the broad strokes of the comparison King's Batman run isn't very suble and he's said he is trying to tone down his usual style to fit the main BatBook
>>
>>87617891
>>87618209
I'd love subtle, complex writing in Batman. The problem is that King isn't giving it to us. He'll briefly touch on a nuanced idea, but then not really do anything with it. I mean ffs, he himself has described this Batman run as a "big action movie" but you fuckers keep trying to act like it's Othello.
>>
>>87618498
I'm not saying that King's is the best run ever or that it's The godfather of Batman runs, it's just I haven't enjoyed Batman this much for the better half of a decade now.
>>
>>87618728
I'd consider Court of Owls better than what King is giving us (though I suppose that's right at the edge of "half a decade ago.)

Also if you can go into extended Batbooks: Grayson, Batman Inc, Valentine's Catwoman, The beginning and end of Tomasi's B&R, Robin: SOB, and Gotham Academy were all great.
>>
>>87618825
The start of Court was good, but it quickly fell apart after it hit the half way mark, and sure the other bat titles may have been good and enjoyable, but they aren't the main Batman book which is the one that I mean.
>>
>>87614754
>Court of Owls alone is probably in the top 5 Batman stories ever
Huh, this is the point I dropped the book.
>>
>>87618498
>Othello
>nuanced

This upsets me. I even like a lot of Shakespeare.
>>
>>87617891
How's it subtle? Because to me, it's threadbare.
>>
>>87614686
If we take the average quality? Probably. But it never reaches any significant heights.
>>
>>87620151
Grant's run was good from start to finish. Fuck off.
>>
File: bzt.png (41KB, 736x256px) Image search: [Google]
bzt.png
41KB, 736x256px
>>87614686

Yep.
>>
Dennis O'Neil, Alan Grant, Chuck Dixon, Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Morrison, hell even Snyder pre N52 'Tec was better
>>
>>87621772

>Ed Brubaker

Brubaker wrote the most generic Batman run of all time. I have no idea how the king of thriller/crime comics wrote something so stupendously forgettable for what should basically be the ideal for his style.
>>
>>87621886
I always see Brubaker's Batman and Rucka's 'Tec run as one with the addition of Gotham Central. I respect Brubaker's intention of trying to being Bruce Wayne back instead of being which was the point of Fugitive and Murderer arc.
>>
>>87622084
> instead of being anti social Batman 24/7 post Jason.
>>
>>87622084
>>87622096

I respect the intention, but in execution it was like reading a bad 90's action movie screenplay with Batman stapled into it. It had none of his patented grit and charm.

Maybe Brubaker just needed more time in the oven first. If he went and did a run now it would probably be fucking killer. And it's not like Batman was in great shape around that time in general considering it was followed up by fucking Willingham's garbage fire of a run.
>>
>>87622141
He was saving his best stories for Criminal.
>>
>>87614754
Nice b8.
>>
>>87620151
No, Batman has more quality stories than any other mainstream character.
>>
>>87621772
Brubaker's and Dixon's run was mediocre. I'd put David Lapham, Milligan and Dini in the list. We even had Gaiman for a couple of issues.
>>
>omg where's Damian?!
>omg why is Batman Bruce?
>omg where is my [insert favourite character]?

That's why people hate Snyder's run, also keep in mind this is the board that claims that between all the elseworld and decades of different runs Dickbats was the best Batman has always been. So yes, they are biased characterfags that can't even admit it.
>>
>>87622285
But I liked Grant's and Moench's runs which didn't have a lot of Batfamily. Not everybody who thought it wasn't the greatest Batrun is a characterfag.
>>
>>87621772
>>87622248
Doug Moench too.
>>
It's babby's first Batman but I wouldn't say that it's awful like some people here.
>>
Snyder's Batman run was disappointing because it had some good moments it always missed the landing. His run was made for the trade, where was the individual moments? 52 issues of mostly events, Court of Owls, Death of the Family, Zero Year, Endgame, Super Heavy.
>>
he savaged the title after Morrison's mess and showed that you can focus on Batman and make a successful run instead of trying to be needlessly edgy and turning everything into some giant epic meta garbage arc
>>
>>87618112
>Hurr durr I'm a brainlet and anything more complicated than Michael bay is gobblety gook and Morrison and king are hacks who don't understand Snyder's majesty.
>>
>>87614686
You got some reading to do.
>>87546474
>>87565679
>>87587204
>>87611111
>>
Maybe if you've only read like two or three Batman runs.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.