[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOCTOR STRANGE GENERAL IMPRESSIONS THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 544
Thread images: 70

File: doctor-strange-1.jpg (2MB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
doctor-strange-1.jpg
2MB, 1600x800px
I have only seen the movie yesterday so I probably missed the first barrage of threads, but what did everyone think of Doctor Strange?

Definitely top 3 MCU origin movie, with the single best finale of any Marvel movie. It didn't devalue the big bad, but still made the conclusion satisfying as fuck.

Cumberbatch sold me completely on the character, it was top notch visually from art direction to CGI, and I didn't expect to enjoy TAO as much as I did. I also liked to moral aspect of the story, which was surprisingly to the point.

The plot was a bit too by the numbers, but I immediately wanted to see more wacky magic adventures and read Strange books after the credits rolled, which is all that a Marvel movie could ask for.

Top 5 overall, imo.
>>
the plot was probably simple on purpose, given that this was an origin story, but i don't really mind simple plots, nothing new under the sun after all

visuals are impressive, if you only need 1 reason to watch it, its this
>>
>>87510472
How are the cams? Don't feel like waiting til January to see it.
>>
>>87510601
Seeing it in a movie theater is really half the whole experience.
>>
>>87510601

Saw it in Imax 3D was worth it
>>
>>87510472
Really enjoyed it, but did anyone else think the characters looked a bit too goofy floating around in their astral forms?

Especially during that fight scene. I couldn't stop thinking about Casper the Friendly Ghost during that scene.
>>
>>87510629
goofy, yeah

awesome, yeah

you cant have dr strange without indulging trippy astralness
>>
>>87510472
Cumberbatch was shit as a surgeon, just fine as strange, and outshone by every other actor in the movie being fucking fantastic.

The plot was perfect, relevant, and without dumb shit just for the sake of screwing around.
>>
>>87510611
>>87510619
What part of I don't feel like waiting til January do you not get? Why the hell even reply with useless posts like that?
>>
I honestly wouldn't mind if Marvel scrapped the rest of the line up and just made Doctor Strange Adventures for the next five years.
>>
>>87510601
It's the equivalent of listening to the Tron soundtrack throught a phonecall.
>>
>>87510668
Deal with it, poorfag.
>>
File: 1471077398111.png (724KB, 1000x901px) Image search: [Google]
1471077398111.png
724KB, 1000x901px
>>87510601
>watching cams
>in CURRENT YEAR or any other year
Do you have no standards?
>>
>>87510668
Just pointing out that you're dumbass if you want to see the movie, but won't go to a movie theater.
>>
>>87510668

>not flying to another country to watch it early in Big Screen

Must suck to be poor in a shitholcae
>>
>>87510751
And what would I do at the theater? Say hello to the staff and have a nice conversation in the lobby then go home a few minutes later?
>>
>>87510728
>CURRENT YEAR
January isn't current year, its next year.
>>
>>87510781
Is there a country where the movie won't release until January?

If so, then you should have said so right away and not be a big fat dummy about it.

Wait anyway.
>>
>>87510863
>hen you should have said so right away
>literally first post
You should stop trying.
>>
>>87510925
I just assumed January was when the blurays came out you big baby. Talk clearly instead of shitting up the thread with your drama.
>>
It was weirdly paced. I enjoyed it, but it has a lot of false climax moments, left me wondering what was meant to be the actual final bit.

Strange also feels very underpowered throughout the entire thing, like we never actually see him become the Sorceror Supreme.

Tilda Swinton's chinless bald head disturbs me too.
>>
>>87510989
Wong said he still has stuff to learn when he puts the Eye back in its holder.
I'm sure he'll kick ass in MOTHERFUCKING THOR RAGNAROK THAT MID-CREDITS SCENE BLEW MY DICK OFF
>>
>>87510989
his sorcery skills are great, but he's got a lot to learn before he can become sorcerer supreme

as fast of a learner he is, he is still way behind everyone elses skill level
>>
So Strange's hands never actually healed to their original state, is that the case in the comics too?
>>
>>87511049
It's not really addressed, like ever.
>>
>>87511049
In the comics he goes to heal his hands then all the magic shit happens and all of that becomes more important.

He has no reason to be a surgeon again now that he's the Sorcerer Supreme
>>
The last after credits scene pissed me off
>I took away your magic so you can't walk anymore
>that will teach you for using magic to cure your paralysis
>ok bye
I hate characters that have motivations like this. Just throwing a big tantrum and fucking shit up for no reason
>>
How will they push Clea as stranges next love interest seeing as they basically left a big ol TBC sign on palmers forehead?
>>
File: strange.jpg (71KB, 690x500px) Image search: [Google]
strange.jpg
71KB, 690x500px
>>87510472
I went into this movie unaware that it was a Superhero film. The trailer grabbed my attention since I'm a huge fan of parallel dimensions and other bizarre concepts like that, and since Inception and Interstellar disappointed me so much I decided to give this one a shot.

Was a really pleasant surprise, perhaps not the smartest film around but a total joyride throughout. Loved the action scenes and seeing Strange floating around with his cape, beating bad guys up made me feel like a little kid again. I'd love to check out some other Marvel Superhero films I missed out on, so far people have recommended GotG, Iron Man 1 and the Captain America films to me
>>
>>87511208
Man, just go with release order. You'll have your ups and downs, but will enjoy it as a whole far more.
>>
>>87511208
Pretty solid choices, anon.
>>
>>87511208
Add Ant-Man to the list. There's a scene towards the end that you'll really enjoy if you liked the imagery of Dr. Strange.
>>
>>87510472
I had a few gripes at nit picks with the movie but overall really enjoyed it and had a good time watching. Knowing pretty much nothing about the character I really liked Strange by the end of the film and though you could probably draw some similarities to other MCU protagonists I thought he was pretty unique.

I liked Mordo and Wong and would have loved to see more of the villain but something about Tilda Swinton seemed off to me. I dunno what exactly, maybe because a lot of the time she looked like a cartoon skull but she just didn't seem quite right in film to me.

Excited to see more of Strange, whatever he is in.
>>
>>87511208
>I went into this movie unaware that it was a Superhero film

On what planet do you live?
>>
>>87511011
It'll blow my mind if they give Strange a good amount of screentime in Ragnarok. That movie has all the right things going for it. I will never stop hoping.

Also
>tfw he raises the collar
>tfw he tells Palmer that he couldn't fill the void with her
that got a couple of genuine "o-hohoho"s out of the crowd
>>
>>87511355
But he could fill Palmer's void.
>>
>>87511234
Thinking of doing this

>>87511309
For some reason I always had the idea that Superhero films were just cashgrabs like the Michael Bay Transformers films, but Strange definately surpassed that by a lot. So I never paid the genre any attention.
>>
>>87511355
>a good director
>Hulk and Dr. Strange
>Karl Urban
>Jeff Goldblum
>more Hiddleston Loki
>Natalie Portman is gone
If they manage to fuck it up, I'd be really surprised.
>>
>>87511386
one heroic space viking magical epic is all I want. they have all the right components now.
they can shut down the whole studio afterwards for all I care
>>
File: I've Made a Huge Mistake.jpg (496KB, 1060x1498px) Image search: [Google]
I've Made a Huge Mistake.jpg
496KB, 1060x1498px
>>87510472
The quips. I hated the quips. I hated the people who bitched about quips in Age of Ultron, but I swear it was a joke every other line. We get it, you're witty. This wasn't a comedy, stop breaking the mood to show how dull you really are.

I liked Cumberbatch, but he was a bit subdued in his performance. The whole "I'M HERE TO BARGAIN" was too silly to be taken seriously. Overall it feels like almost every other character's first film - the first act of an unfinished film.

It was a feast for the eyes to be sure, but Marvel ruined the visual awe with it's ho-hum script and unfocused direction.

6/10 - Feast for the eyes, Sleep-aid for the brain.
>>
>>87511421
I'm with you on this one. People have been bitching about quips in the MCU for years now, and while there have been some out of place ones, Doctor Strange was the worst about it. Too many that were too out of place and too not funny.

I'm here to bargain was fine by me, but good lord most of the Wong jokes aside from Strange stealing books through portals were flatlines for me. The goofier shots when Strange is sent through all of those dimensions was also disappointing. I enjoyed the surreal visuals, but some of those shots were trying so hard to be funny and failing at it. That could have been a really good scene if they either didn't try to include laughs in it or if they had someone with better concepts/editing/composition.
>>
>>87511421
>We get it, you're witty.

But anon, Strange WASN'T witty. Wong even points out that the people laughing at his jokes were the people who worked for him, kissing ass. Strange was shown to be making bad jokes to diffuse tension when he wasn't shining, rather than being witty and cracking jokes all the time to distance himself like Stark does, or being witty and diffusing tension while fighting like Parker does.
>>
Fun flic, wholly enjoyed it.
>>
>>87511421
eh, i felt that the humor was on point
>>
The story was boring, and besides the trip sequence the effects weren't that impressive either.
>>
>>87511457
>>87511421
I would agree that there were too many quips and most jokes went on too long.
I can forgive the wifi joke.
The "Like Adele?" was okay. But when he kept going with more names, it just fell apart immediately.

Or the cloak-related slapstick. Every one of those scenes could have been cut by half and they would have been better for it.

That being said, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie.
>>
>>87511421
>>87511523

Yeah, this was one of my problems with this film. Some of the jokes were okay and "mister doctor" got a chuckle out of me as did stealing books through portals but quite a few others seemed out of place,poorly timed or unnecessary . The cloak related slapstick was one of the worse ones.
>>
>>87511587
the cloak is very specific, I feel. they gave it a lot of personality, which I appreciate, but I think they went overboard.
>>
so I didn't understand

the cripple guy didn't actually heal, but is constantly using dark energy shit to keep walking?
>>
>>87511355
>>tfw he tells Palmer that he couldn't fill the void with her
>>87511372
>But he could fill Palmer's void.
It is never outright said, but it is pretty clear to me that Palmer and Strange were fucking for quite a few years before his accident. It's just that it was a rather casual relationship. The back of the broken watch was meant to tell you that they were in love once, but that Strange was just not a very nice guy and they didn't progress very far. In short, she dumped him after he shouted at her.
>>
>>87511598
not dark energy. just general magic.
mordo just went a bit nuts with his black and white worldview.
>>
When Strange got that phone call in his car, was that potential patient they mentioned Rhodey?
I thought so, but after 8 years, can you really still be calling Stark suits "experimental"?
>>
>>87511649
>was that potential patient they mentioned Rhodey?
yes.
I suppose the way they keep iterating on those suits makes all of them experimental.
>>
The effects had the same problems as the Transformers movies. Huge things moving at a speed which makes you feel like they're not heavy, or even relevant. The whole shifting world thing was a nice visual, but utterly pointless to the story. The cape was annoying as fuck, all other jokes were okay. Fights were just a haze, you couldn't see anything properly 'cause of shitty close-ups during the fight.

I did like how it felt as if it were a comicbook. The resolutions were all very simple, yet effective. 7/10
>>
Not a single empathetic character
They were too busy quipping instead of establishing anything to get you attached to
Not even Strange cared when bald monk lady died

Had good setpieces but was severely lacking on character substance
>>
>>87510644
>without dumb shit just for the sake of screwing around.
dude portals in the library lmao
dude beyonce lmao
dude eminem lmao
dude wifi password lmao
>>
It was alright, it felt... safe?

Didnt see much people when I watched it as well. maybe Super Hero movie fatigue is setting in?
>>
>>87510472

It was alright. The effects were great and I really enjoyed Strange learning how to use magic. But once again I think Marvel failed with the villain. I was completely uninterested in Mads "story"
>>
I'm usually not one to bring up the TOO MANY QUIPS WHY CAN'T MARVEL BE SERIOUS but them being funny right after Ancient One died really bothered me.
>>
>>87511703
My backwater movie theater was almost full a week after the premiere.
Maybe it depends on the country/region.
>>
>>87511649
>>87511658

I thought they said Strange training was going to span across the MCU? I really had a hard time gauging how much time had actually passed
>>
File: 1471444587272.png (514KB, 568x510px) Image search: [Google]
1471444587272.png
514KB, 568x510px
>tfw audience fucking laughed at the freeze frame spinning shot of the chinaman tossing noodles on a pan

I'm not even fucking joking
>>
>>87510601
useless to see the cams, the whole thing is a visual fx orgy.
If you dont want to wait you are shit out of luck
>>
>>87511727
dunno, it felt like they really fast-tracked him. which is also why he isn't yet the sorcerer supreme by the end.

the movie seemed to have opened around the end of civil war because they mentioned rhodey, and ended foreshadowing ragnarok, so not much time could have passed.
>>
>>87511649
>>87511658

No. They mentioned "some sort of experimental tank", which Rhodey's suit would not be called, seeing as he's the official Iron Man of the united states airforce. It was the guy field-testing Hammer's suit, who got his spine twisted around 180 degrees. That thing WAS experimental, and Hammer/The military guys would call it a tank to hide the fact that they were developing their own Iron Man armour that failed.

The movie can't have taken place after Rhodey got injured, because Shield had a file on Strange back in Winter Soldier. So it starts with Strange being a surgeon when Iron Man has just started showing up. Then he's off learning magic while the world gets crazy, saves the world and ends up on Shield's watch list, and then the after-credit's scene takes place after he's been keeping the world safe for quite a while. The Avengers Tower showing up at the start of the movie being a goof makes more sense than them voiding their own timeline.

I'm hoping that guy returns as a henchman.
>>
>>87511746
makes sense, you are probably right
>>
>>87511743
>>87511727

>It's easier to become a fucking wizard than a surgeon

This shit is supposed to take him years , right?
>>
>>87511374
thats understandable.

Youll find good and bad movies as you go through release order, but you'll also find the one thing that make those movies standout, the shared universe.

Every one of the good movies is an attempt to a different genre within super heroes, be it a period piece a heist movie or a crime drama, but theres a reason why the marvel movies become so sucessful and it probably is that they tell stories WITHIN this fantasy world that each movie updates
>>
>>87511598
he learnt enough energy to funnel into his wlaking and imedaitely gave up on learning more.

Mordo sees that as selfish and decided to disconnect him from the sources.
>>
>>87511374
even the worst MCU movies don't qualify as cash grabs in my opinion. they contribute to the world-building at the very least.
>>
>>87511703
my theater was full of people clapping at the screen and tipping when they bought popcorn in the interval
>>
I fucking hate Cumberbatch but I actually enjoyed the movie.
People were, in my opinion, overestimating the amount of quips there would be comparing it to Iron Man. I didn't think it was nearly that bad.
And the CGI cape wasn't over done. Just enough of a presence that it gave one or two funny moments.
LOVED Mads, but then again that's what I went to see it for.
Was also happy to finally see what his role in Rogue One will be.
>>
File: unnamed.gif (2MB, 365x274px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
2MB, 365x274px
>>87511208
I can literally smell Mackey's cum all over you shill. Even my fob pajeet roommate who barely speaks any English knew it was a super hero movie. How fucking shameless can you be? Atleast have the balls to say that you loved the movie without trying to mask it
>>
>>87511727
Same.
The film was awesome overall but i think it was too "compressed" if you know what i mean.
We see Strange train for what should have been some years for about what ,seem to me , some pair a months. They should have put a text saying the year every time they do a time jump, it could have given the idea of how much time had passed better.
>>
File: 1478161680423.jpg (37KB, 520x496px) Image search: [Google]
1478161680423.jpg
37KB, 520x496px
>>87511457
>I'm here to bargain was fine by me
I was laughing, the rest of the audience was laughing. There's a better way to convey being trapped in a time loop that repeating the same phrase over and over. It was just silly. I don't want to make it sound like I hated this film, I think it was alright. It just wasn't as good as it could've been. It's like Antman and Thor - very solid concepts that worked well on film but were ultimately held back by a very cautious and very cheap Disney.

The problem is they want to make everything inoffensive and safe so they don't do anything memorable at all. I'm really struggling to come up with a reason to see the Carol movie coming up, and I've already written off Star Wars forever. Make better movies Disney, I'm growing tired of you.
>>
>>87511779
more importantly imo, mordo saw what that guy was doing as going against the natural order. that's why he intervened.

he started to see all sorcerers as arrogant people who abuse their power for personal gain, hence "there are too many magicians in this world"
>>
>>87511731
Same here, did I miss an inside joke or something? Everyone else burst into laughter.
>>
>>87511761
>It's easier to become a fucking wizard than a surgeon

It kind of would be. To become a famous surgeon doing intricate surgeries you need to get the right clients to practice on and to garner you more fame which leads to more clients etc. and before that you need to be respected by your peers to get a chance to operate on the right clients with the right problems to gain new skills. With magic you just gotta learn what's there. If you've got a guy who's really good at learning due to having a perfect memory but is shit at interacting with people, just like Strange is portrayed, then magic would be the faster one to learn/achieve recognition in.

But I still think it took him years. His robes even changed/became slightly more intricate as the movie went on, which to me seemed to signify him gaining more mystical knowledge and rising in rank.
>>
>>87511803
I guess you just live in shitty towns, because I didn't hear a single person laugh at that.
They were all too interested in the actual thing that was happening.
>>
>>87511746
that was the stark tower from ironman 2, the beginning of the movie is set along ironman 2, the visit to tibet is after avengers ( the other masters mention avengers) and the ending of the movie is after avengers 2 and civil war

Like with any shared universe thing, its best to not be too specific with timelines because the weirdos that dont understand the super hero genre will start asking stuff like "Why wasnt strange and TAO in avengers 2 " or "Why doesnt batman just call JLA to defuse the bombs" instead of understanding that it would defuse any narrative and risk associated to the stories of the standalone hero if he just picked up a phone and called spiderman everytime he wants to change a lightbulb
>>
>>87511811
It happened for me in the middle of sydney if that means anything to you

I don't get it, maybe they thought it was funny because it's not normal to see noodles stay still while the camera rotates? I can't think of anything else it could be
>>
>>87511761

Yet in the films it felt like a month.
And saying that he really is talented for magic and learns fast doesn't help.
>>
>>87511822
Maybe they don't know that that's how they're cooked and they all thought he was spilling.
>>
>>87511817
Was it? I've been seeing people saying that it had the Avengers Tower "A" on top of it, to refute the start of the movie taking place along-side Iron Man 2. I myself don't really remember it well enough to say it wasn't an A, so I just chalked it up to being a goof if it indeed wasn't the regular Stark tower.
>>
>>87511855
It was very clearly the Avengers Tower.

I was looking for an OsCorp tower too, but it moved quickly.
>>
>>87511855
it definitely had the avengers A at the start of the movie
That probably just points to them not thinking things through properly, which is more likely than you think
>>
>>87511855
It absolutely had the Avengers A on it, just saw it tonight.
>>
So how many hours long will the Marvel Cinematic Universe movie edit be now?
>>
>>87511873
>That probably just points to them not thinking things through properly, which is more likely than you think

The most likely explanation is that they simply told the special effects guys to "insert the Stark tower into this shot of skyscrapers", and the special effects guys just pulled up their recent files from when they've inserted the tower into skyscraper shots in the recent movies, because they didn't have the script on hand to tell them it was supposed to be the pre-Avengers Stark Tower and had no reason to assume.
>>
>>87510472
I just watched it.
So stale and boring.
Great, but absolutely pointless visual effects.
>>
>>87512001
This too for me. Too much focus on Cumberbatch, not much on anyone else.
>>
File: anger.gif (473KB, 288x192px) Image search: [Google]
anger.gif
473KB, 288x192px
Between this an Ant-Man Marvel movies have become extremely formulaic. The villain was trash, the fact that The Eye of Agamotto(spelling) was an infinity stone doesn't make a lot of sense to me because this whole movie feels extremely disconnected from the Avengers. And now I'm really starting to wonder how they're going to pull off Infinity Gauntlet.

Man, it's been 9 years since Iron Man came out and we're still fucking dealing with origin stories.
>>
>>87511523
>But when he kept going with more names

I thought that was a nice bit of characterization, as Strange unsuccessfully tried to make the joke land on Wong. The Adele thing worked as a a joke by itself, the followup was as different type of humor, where we got to see Strange crash and burn at the iron face that was Wong. It also offered insight into Strange as a character, who up till now was used to succeed with pretty much everything.
>>
>People complaining about jokes in a marvel movies

What the fuck it's like the 14th movie and people still complain about it.

Comic movies are meant to be FUN because are based on COMIC BOOKS, which are made to entertain readers.

We don't need to become dark and edgy with no jokes allowed. We don't want to become DCEU.
>>
>>87512845
>we
Nigga Marvel is not your family business, they are a company that wants to sell you a product. Stop making excuses for them.
>>
>>87510781

>And what would I do at the theater?

Watch a movie, duh.
>>
I'd place it in the "Watchable for Fun" tier with the First Avenger, Winter Soldier and Iron Man 1 but nowhere close to the GOAT tier with Spider-Man 2, X2, Dark Knight, etc. that so far the MCU has only cracked with GotG
>>
>>87512845
these posts are all the same
>>
>>87512953
What did Winter Soldier do/not do that made you put it in that category? I'm genuinely curious because I think it's one of the best and I don't really see anything wrong with it.
>>
The villain is shit, as always.
>>
>>87512978

Winter Soldier is on the edge for me, I won't argue other people considering it GOAT but there were some flaws for me that held it back.

I'm not a fan of the ending devolving into pure CGI blockbuster nonsense which totally betrays the tone of the film and wastes all of the tension and seriousness that the film had earned up until that point. I also felt like the Winter Solider character and his personal relationship to Cap was incredibly under developed, especially since he's the title character. The fight scenes were handled really well but some of the other visuals felt really flat and television-ey to me which has been a problem throughout the MCU outside of the few GOAT directors I mentioned like Favreau and Gunn..
>>
>>87513034
he was entertaining for me
>>
>>87510601
This is literally the movie Imax 3d was made for. And I hate both IMAX and 3d.

I hope Ditko got super fucking baked somewhere in NY and went to see this shit cause it's literally the most visually similar MCU movie compared to the comics.
>>
>>87511675
>Anon speak about plot
>Anon replies about details

I assume the first anon was speaking about random plot deviances but who am I to stop you not liking shitty jokes.
>>
It was fun as hell.

Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to be edgy and look 'deep'.
>>
>>87510728
>giving money to Marvel

Some people aren't Marvel shills.
>>
I hope that some of the visuals from this film start carrying over to the Avengers stuff. Because Dr. Strange finally brings something unique to the table.
>>
>>87511173
Can't wait for her to show up. Hope they cast a 10/10 qt 3.14 for her role.
>>
>>87511094
It's addressed in Vaugh's the Oath where his hands are still badly mangled after the accident and unsuccessful surgeries.
>>
>>87511049
In the movie, TAO explains that he can either be selfish with magic or use it for all. Obviously Strange could use magic for others and his hands at the same time, but here it was used to have him acting completely selflessly.
>>
>mfw an old friend of mine who I tend to avoid nowadays refuses to go see this movie
>she's almost full-psycho SJW and had a shitfit when she found out Tilda swinton played the Ancient one
>despite mordo being a black guy
>and the ancient one originally being a man

she also refused to go see star trek into darkness despite being a huge fan of the first movie and being a huge shipper of kirk and spock. She has since completely dropped the ship because how dare they cast benedict cumberbatch as khan?
>>
>>87513524
thor had some unique visuals too.
>>
I think we can all agree that there were just too many jokes.
>>
>>87513735
Thor 2 and Guardians were very visually appealing
>>
>>87513750
shame thor 2 was such a steaming load.
>>
>>87513051
Captain America is the Winter Soldier, actually, as "Winter Soldier" refers to a soldier who remains true to his ideals and keeps fighting in face of overwhelming odds.
>>
>>87510472
Fun fact: The climax was a deliberate satire of the " giant portal " climax cliche in superhero films.

That's why the whole battle happens off screen and the portal is already open when Strange undoes it and cuts a bargain.
>>
>>87511137
Mordo went full green mage.
>>
>>87510472

I liked it better than the other origin movies for Marvel flicks. Magic works way better here than in Thor. Much more interesting character than Iron Man or Hulk. Still has the problem of feeling kind of samey like most Marvel movies ie meh villain, too many jokes etc but the visuals are good and it's an improvement. This an Antman I think are some of the better starts to franchises that Marvel has done recently.
>>
>>87510644
>shit as a surgeon
Saw it yesterday with a friend who works as a nurse. She facepalmed through the whole surgeon scenes:
>their hair is peeking out from under their hoods
>they're operating without procedure masks
>he put the gloves on wrong
>Now they're not wearing any gloves
>he doesn't wash his hands properly
>she's wearing an ear ring
>>
>>87511457

I agree with you. It felt forced because the neurosurgeon part worked without humor. The sorcerer school could use a little but it had abit too much as if Marvel has some weird rule like 37 jokes per movie. Dormmamu joke was out of place. It's a demon makes the villain seem even hokier.
>>
>>87511731

Happened in my theater too. Marvel's audience is mostly children and mouthbreathers. But I guess I already knew that.
>>
File: the ancient one_.png (496KB, 532x844px) Image search: [Google]
the ancient one_.png
496KB, 532x844px
>>87510989
>Tilda Swinton's chinless bald head disturbs me too.

There doesn't appear to be rule34 of her as the ancient one yet.

that will change
>>
>>87511764

If none of the plots or villains matter than the shared universe thing is more of a gimmick. It only felt real leading up to the first Avengers and then again in Civil War. The shared Universe is an afterthought and it shows because out of over a dozen movies only 2 directly address the other heap of movies.
>>
>>87514121
Yeah, I was pretty turned on for some reason
>>
>>87514121
>tfw I find tilda swinton as one of the most attractive women in hollywood
>and seeing her without hair just made her somehow hotter
It's bizarre, she doesn't fit any of my usual standards of beauty, and yet there's something about her...some bizarre beauty to her sharp figure and angular features.
>>
>>87511208
>Ant-Man
>Iron Man 1
>Captain America 1
>GotG

These are your continuity-light hop on points for the MCU. Or if you don't want to sign in for the full package, good movies to watch and rewatch when they're on.
Be sure to watch Cap#2 - Winter Soldier as well.
>>
>>87512845

Comic books always take themselves seriously. Comic book movies are meant to be entertaining and interesting but fun or funny cheapens the product. Self deprecation comedy is fine but when you make so many jokes throughout a movie you're really making fun of the source material. "Haha isn't this all bullshit? All the characters are quippy pop culture clowns! Laugh monkeys laugh!" If you were a successful and rich neurosurgeon would you really listen to the top 40 or bring them up in Katmandu? No it's stupid. I'm not saying all comic book movies should be dark. Some characters like Deadpool, Lobo, Ambush Bug, Hawkeye have been written to have a strong sense of humor but writing Loki or Dr. Strange to be a barrel full of laughs feels inauthentic and cheap. Just saying.
>>
>>87511208
>>87511309
My best friend hates Marvel movies because she doesn't feel like getting into it, also comic books are for manchildren, but wanted to see this one without knowing it was part of the MCU (because of Cumberbatch).

She was quite surprised when she didn't understand what "Infinity Stones" were and how that wasn't explained in the movie at all, but enjoyed it tremendously.

I had made the mistake to tell her GotG was a Marvel movie when she wanted to see it two years prior. That turned her off of it.
Now she wants to see them all.
>>
>>87513051

I agree with this. Winter Soldier started off strong like a thriller and had alot of tension but that movie wasted Robert Redford and the Winter Soldier himself was barely in it. The movie really falls apart with green Nazi computer and helicopter battle nonsense. Fights were great but it looks cheap like a tv director shot it. I get why people like it but I liked the First Avenger and Civil War more.
>>
File: doctor_strange.jpg (186KB, 850x571px) Image search: [Google]
doctor_strange.jpg
186KB, 850x571px
The animated movie did it better
>>
>>87513063

Villain looks stupid, doesn't get enough screen time, motivations don't entirely make sense, isn't compelling or charismatic.

It's the problem that every Disney Marvel villain has...
>>
>>87514249
>like a tv director shot it
Isn't that what the Russo brothers are?
>>
>>87511599
It is said outright.
It's in the beginning, when she refuses to date colleagues because of him. He set the precedent of relationships at work. That's why she's got her "Strange principle" in place.
>>
>>87510601
If you have no other options it's not terrible. It's a cam, though, so a total desperation play. The camera often goes out of focus and you miss a lot of details, so like the others said it's worth it if you can see it for real. If you actually are stuck waiting for January and don't want months of potential spoilers then you seem like an anon with no other options anyway. But you'll surely want to see it properly as soon as you can.
>>
>>87511208

shill, the parallel dimensions shit was barely used in a exiting way
>>
>>87514225
She sounds like an utter idiot t b h
>>
>>87514121
She'd make a decent Krillin. Just saying.
>>
>>87514249
>I liked the First Avenger and Civil War more

Every criticism you have of Winter Soldier is a million times worse in Civil War though
>>
>>87511523
The Adele, Aristotle, Beyonce joke is actually supposed to fall flat. There's this scene later in the movie where Strange tells wrong people normally laughed at his jokes.
Wong counters it stone-faced by saying
>Were they working for you?
Implying that Strange isn't funny and everyone was just making nice with him.

The only gag I thought went on too long was Strange running in place trying to grab that decorative ax when the cloak wanted him to grab the restrainer. Could've easily been trimmed down a few seconds.
>>
>>87513717

Eh the movie is racist if you actually think about it for a second. I enjoyed it but I get why a sjw type wouldn't see it.

White woman is a supreme power in a asiatic country. No asians or indian people to be seen. Primary student that goes evil is wearing yellow face essentially. Only black guy in the movie is the white persons servant and goes evil for no reason when the white person dies. Yeah it's a racist movie, I liked it but why someone wouldn't be into it.

Your friend is wrong about Star Trek though and is probably not a real Trekkie at all and you shouldn't be friends with her etc.
>>
>>87513735

Thor movies were such a generic plasticy bore. There was nothing redeeming about them. Still on Rotten they get 7 or 8s/10 though no one I've met in reality actually likes or respects those movies. Weird.
>>
>>87514288
It was just the barebones explanation for how their magic works. They weren't going to go searching for the real 616 universe or anything. Are we still arguing about the numbering for the rebuilt 616 after Secret Wars?
>>
>>87513750

Thor 2
Guardians

Not in the same league mister revisionist history shillman.
>>
>>87514339
>and you shouldn't be friends with her
edgy, but when I moved up for college a few months ago, she took the opportunity to remove me from all her social media. I don't mind, I was tired of seeing constant SJW shit, and our mutual trans friend is tired of her treating her like a token minority instead of a person.
>>
>>87514225

Marvel movies are mostly missable so I don't blame her. Cumbersnatch fans are mostly insufferable. Infinity Stones don't make sense anyway so whatever. GoTG was branded pretty heavily as a Marvel film so I don't get why that would be a surprise.

She seems like a contrarian hipster type. Total garbage person.

I don't like Marvel flicks but I watch them anyway because I like comic books but it seems like she doesn't like Marvel flicks because she's too lazy to watch them all? Weird.

She's missing out on a big pop culture phenomenon despite them being lacking in someways.
>>
>>87514357
eh, the one thing I'd give thor is that asgard LOOKED nice, even if that look was fake as HELL.
>>
>>87514339
>No asians or indian people to be seen

Who is Wong?
Who is Master Hamir?
Who are all the extras in Hong Kong?
Who are all the extras in Kalkuttah?

Think about it - The movie as it is now only has 2 women in it with talking roles - Christine and TAO. It would've been 1 when they'd cast TAO as an old asian dude.
Also, if they had cast Mordo as he is in the comics, they would've had no black actors in a major role, the only other blackie was Daniel Drumm, and he died after getting out one sentence.

Remember it could've been worse.
>>
>>87514339
this is incredibly wrong
>Only black guy in the movie is the white persons servant and goes evil for no reason when the white person dies.
his dedication to the rules was heavily foreshadowed and he flipped out when he found out strange was breaking them
>>
>>87514393
Maybe just tell her she's being a shitty person instead of just letting it happen?
>>
>>87510472
Special effects pornography, but we knew that long ago.

Storywise... I liked it, but upon reflection I realize there isn't really much to reflect upon. It's a fairly barebones story, but then it purposefully leaves a lot to be explored later on down the road.

The post credits was a bit off-putting.
>>
File: shumammu.jpg (143KB, 475x698px) Image search: [Google]
shumammu.jpg
143KB, 475x698px
Did anybody else think they tried to mash aspects of Shuma-Gorath into Dormammu? The entire movie I basically thought they were doing Shuma-Gorath except calling him Dormammu up until it zoomed out from his eye to show he had a complete and ugly face that I feel is inappropriate for either Dormammu or Shuma-Gorath.

But seriously, as soon as they showed a big pink eyeball in a twisting purple and green dimension I was like "SHUMA-GORATH!" and when they called it Dormammu I was like "oh so they're just going to make Dormammu into Shuma-Gorath now, and when they said "Dark Dimension" I was like "nah that is totally what the Chaos Dimension looked like". They even used the "Shuma-Gorath is coming!" thing except they just said Dormammu instead. But yeah, a being that basically composes an entire dimension of chaotic energies... that's Shuma-Gorath not Dormammu. That was more like Dormammu's goal to become like Shuma-Gorath. Normally he's just a really powerful Falteen wizard who commands great power in his home dimension, and the Dark Dimension itself is normally not some place full of like roiling asteroids but just a hellish and hostile place with its own civilizations and such. The Dark Dimension for the cinematic universe is basically just the Chaos Dimension in all but name only, as Shuma-Gorath is usually the primary feature of that dimension and is actually a required constant for its existence.
Shuma-Gorath was also what "killed" the Ancient One originally anyway.

Maybe cinematic Dormammu is actually some sort of interdimensional lovechild of Dormammu and Shuma-Gorath.

I ship it.
>>
File: painful.jpg (19KB, 180x274px) Image search: [Google]
painful.jpg
19KB, 180x274px
>black guy is the villain... again
I walked out and demanded a refund, this is utter and complete horse shit.
>>
>>87514437
She's contrarian hipster when it suits her but tries to watch/read/consume everything "hot" right now.
Except she also tries to be very mature all the time and has a lot of insecurities. So reading comic books is seen as something children do and grown-ups shouldn't.
Watching simplified movies geared to a big audience, primarily children, is a-okay though, because everyone's doing it.
>>
File: 406.jpg (35KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
406.jpg
35KB, 600x549px
>>87514050
That's what got her and not using the paddles on a stopped heart?

The paddles stop hearts that are in arrhythmia so they (hopefully) return to normal functioning, they don't restart stopped hearts
>>
>>87514448

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the movie because I did. But pretending it wasn't racist is silly because it sure the fuck was.

Wong was a joke character that wasn't really important. Who is Master Hamir? The guy that was in a scene for under 3 seconds. Extras aren't really movie characters. Again White Women in charge of asian people and black people. Again black person is her servant that goes crazy when she dies. Villain is a white person wearing yellow face. This movie should have been an opportunity to cast asian and indian people in big roles but it didn't happen.

Yes it could have been worse but the actual product could easily rub a sjw type the wong way lol. I was fine with it but I watch all cape things and enjoy them on some level because I grew up reading comics. A normal person who isn't invested like that might not be so forgiving. An sjw would hate most of these movies no matter what they did though because the lead is another white guy etc.
>>
>>87514529
That was the second scene, she was facepalming throughout the initial bullet-removal scene.
Defibrillator shenanigans are a given.
>>
File: massacre.jpg (15KB, 211x300px) Image search: [Google]
massacre.jpg
15KB, 211x300px
>>87511731
>mfw they didn't show him finishing his noodles when time starting again
>>
>>87514486
I did when she made a shitshow about star trek ID

she(a white girl) almost literally told me(a mixed race arabic/native guy) to check my privilege.

soon after, I moved out of her place, found my place, started seeing her only a few times a year and just avoided argument-starting conversation around her.

hell, even our mutual friend feels she cares more about the fact she's trans than the fact that she's a person, and is thinking about cutting ties with her--she she's non-confrontational as FUCK.
>>
>>87510925
you are probably waiting for the dubs to your shittongue
go watch it on original language donut
>>
>>87514507
You somehow didn't realize Mordo was destined to be a not so nice guy? Come on, Supes, how can you expect to beat Flash when you are THAT slow?
>>
>>87510668
If you mean that it won't be showing in theatres where you are until January, then I would recommend you be patient and wait. The story isn't great enough to justify seeing a poor quality camrip in a computer. This one you definitely watch for the visuals which means watching it on as big a screen as possible.
>>
>>87514464

Hero, heroes love interest, heroes teacher and villain all whiteys. Two supporting characters that were vehicles for jokes were nonwhite. Over half of movie takes place in Asia.

Thats why it's racist. I don't care and I liked the movie but it's an observation and I get why that one anons sjw friend wasn't into seeing it.
>>
File: Dormagorath.jpg (237KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
Dormagorath.jpg
237KB, 500x647px
>>87514498
>>
>>87514550
>Again White Women in charge of asian people and black people.
She's a centuries old spiritual leader and in that case her having made it this far up the food chain hailing from a time long past is admirable.

>Again black person is her servant that goes crazy when she dies.
Mordo is not her servant, but her second-in-command charged with training apprentices. He sees her as a force of pure good and feels betrayed when he finds out she was sorta grey in her morality

>Villain is a white person wearing yellow face. That's just Mads' weird facial bone structure, what are you even talking about? His name was Qi Xa Li Us or something. He was Kaecilius - That's Latin. Sure as hell not an Asian character.
>>
>>87511855
Probably just B-roll that was supposed to be used in the third act, but got shuffled along in editing
>>
>>87514678
Nah, when Strange picks up his watch for the evening before going on his fatal joyride, a plaque over his ballin watch drawer reads something something 2016 quite clearly. They fucked the timeline up quite a bit and Stephen broke his hands, had his bones heal, had 7 operations on his mangled hands, ran out of money, lost all hope, learned magic and saved the world in a little under a year.
Remember, there's snow when TAO dies, so it's winter by then.
>>
Things I liked:
1. The Ancient One having control of the "Mirror Dimension" being a reference to how the original Ancient One would communicate with Strange through a magic mirror.
2. Caecillius being more than just a glorified errand boy for Mordo.
3. Mordo being anti-heroic up until the shitty after credits scene.
4. Fat Wong.
5. Cloak of Levitation becoming Carpet from Aladdin.
6. Dormammu being a complete impatient bitch as soon as he wasn't beyond time.
7. Name dropping the Living Tribunal.
8. The effects mostly.

Things I didn't like:
1. Not a single mention of the Vishanti
2. Nobody, from Strange to Mordo to one of Caecillius' goons, shouting "BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH!"
3. Eye of Agamotto being an infinity gem, let alone the TIME one?
4. Fat Wong doing nothing.
5. Mordo going heel immediately anyway after all those alterations to his character.
6. Dormammu's appearance and >>87514498
7. Not having Strange succeed in saving the new Ancient One's life with his doctor friends and having her not "die" until the next movie.
8. So, wait, like, was Dormammu supposed to be trapped in the Mirror Dimension? Because the Ancient One dropped a line about trapping horrible shit in there but later they just said oh yeah Dormammu is in the Dark Dimension and wants to invade us by smashing all the laylines. Is the Dark Dimension trapped inside the Mirror Dimension? Why does contracting Dormammu give you control over the Mirror Dimension like they explain in the second Mirror Dimension fight scene and by only the Ancient One and Caecillius and his goons having control over it due to their Dormammu sigils? I don't get it.
9. I actually really wanted an old tibetan dude to be the Ancient One but I don't really mind too much about the Ancient One becoming some celtic lady except they never did anything cool with it like having her originally be a Crom worshipper from Conan's time or something.
>>
File: what is thy will.jpg (98KB, 620x631px) Image search: [Google]
what is thy will.jpg
98KB, 620x631px
>>87514645
>>
>>87514339
>White woman is a supreme power in a asiatic country
They opted to make the mystic organization multicultural instead of an Orientalist relic of old school pulp. Definitely the right call if you ask me

???????

>Primary student that goes evil is wearing yellow face essentially
No he's not

>Only black guy in the movie is the white persons servant and goes evil for no reason when the white person dies
Student, not servant. And her death wasn't the reason for his turn, his worldview is pretty clearly explained.

Step it up senpai
>>
>yfw Dr. Memer is the Memer Supremer
>>
>>87514800
Why would Dormammu be trapped in the mirror dimension? Strange actually briefly saw him when the Old One was shoving him through dimensions and explaining the order of things. The Mirror Dimension was described as a safe place to test spells since it couldn't interact with the real world. It wouldn't be safe if it had Dormy roaming around in it. You especially should have been tipped off when his zealots were even more powerful there. Dormy has even more power in a place like that? You REALLY don't want to put him in there.
>>
Overall I thought the movie was solid, used the material well, and was fun. However I will say the pacing was off. We had little idea on how long Strange was training. A simple text might have fixed that but oh well. Hope we see more of Dormammu
>>
>>87511459
That was probably my favourite joke in it.
>Strange had just made a joke and Wong didn't even crack a smile
>Strange "You know back home people say I'm really funny"
>Wong "Do those people work for you?
>Strange "..."
>>
>>87514938
Running joke. When Strange returns, has proven his ability with the Eye, and is in a fair running for new Supreme Sorcerer...then Wong laughs at his joke. Like REALLY laughs.
>>
>>87511523
That was the point, the joke sucked he just wouldn't stop going and kept digging a whole for himself with Wong. First he made a joke, then he was trying to fill the awkward silence. You were supposed to be laughing at him not with him
>>
>>87514647

>Still doesn't make sense fucko.
>Didn't feel like a second in command, he is in charge of being respecful to her and giving out wifi password.
>Weird pony tail and monk robes wasn't yellowface okayyy
>>
>>87511726
I saw it Saturday night and there were 10 people in the cinema
>>
>>87514851

Still doesn't make sense.

Asian and indians are mostly seen and not heard. Only nonwhite characters are joke characters.

Martial arts robe and samurai pony tail isn't yellow face alright shill.

Black guy clearly was an underling of the white lady, can't be good boy without her lol

I liked the movie but it's racist kiddo
>>
>>87514982
Wong was clearly fucking with him the whole film. When Strange was asking him if he's even heard of Beyonce and Wong's just stonefacing him. Then next scene you see Wong listening to Beyonce with his headphones singing alone in the library
>>
File: shamefurdispray2.jpg (158KB, 319x480px) Image search: [Google]
shamefurdispray2.jpg
158KB, 319x480px
>>87515009
>Still doesn't make sense fucko.
Who are you quoting?
>Didn't feel like a second in command, he is in charge of being respecful to her and giving out wifi password.
He is in charge of giving martial arts and Sling Ring classes.
>Weird pony tail and monk robes wasn't yellowface okayyy
Everyone was wearing monk robes. Just because you wear a monk robe, doesn't alter your ethnicity. Was Mordo doing yellowface then? Was Strange? Was TAO? Kaecilius just had weird ponytail. Maybe that's how he likes his hair. I haven't seen many Asians running around with ponytails, but when I do, it's usually pic related, and in a documentary.
>>
>>87515051
>Only nonwhite characters are joke characters
Wong isn't a joke character. He's a stern-faced spellbook librarian.
Hamir isn't a joke character. He's a respectable one-armed sorcerer.
The extras in the streets are never the butt of a joke (Or did you laugh at the guy frying shrimp during the time-stop?)
Mordo is also never the butt of a joke.
>>
>>87515051
Mordo was a joke character?

No, it isn't. Everyone wore robes because it's a mystic order of mages, should they be wearing blue jeans?

Everyone is an underling of the white lady, including the white main character.

They were walking on egg shells with the material and I think they handled it well. They made the order something multicultural, which it should be considering how old it is. The ancient one is a 100% *problematic* character, a complete Orientalist relic. Sidestepping that was the right move.
>>
>>87510472
Probably the worst of modern Marvel movies. It's a straight up retread of Iron Man with more China pandering.

Worst part was using the cape to do Aladdin style Carpet """""gags.""""" All the humor in general killed the movie.
>>
>>87514121
>that will change

Change it faster.
>>
>>87514498
That's how Dormammu looks like in his original appearance. Maybe in the second movie they will make him have a body with a flaming head or possess Kaecilius. I liked how how they showed how Strange would get destroyed in a second if he actually fought Dormammu one to one.
>>
>>87515222
It's mostly true to the comicbook origin, though.
Strange's origin wasn't told until the fourth issue or so, and he only had his asshole-ish personality during that one issue. Before and after, he was already the venerable Master of the Mystic Arts.
Now, you can't have the character flip flop from asshole to saint from one scene to another, and they didn't have time to have him train at Kamar Taj for years to gradually get rid of this aspect of his personality over time. So over the whole movie he is in the process of mellowing out. We'll get there next time.
>>
>>87515312
Here's my question: why does it take two movies for Marvel to make a character good? Why have they taken to decompressing their movies at badly as their comics?

Saying "the next one will be better" does bit give me confidence.
>>
File: 7965.jpg (17KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
7965.jpg
17KB, 225x225px
>Benedict Wong as Wong
>>
I liked the movie. I find it hard to get past how corporate all the MCU movies feel but it was pretty good, visually impressive, and I thought it did just about everything well.
I didn't think the humor was too much, seemed to find a pretty good balance. Agree with >>87515222 that it tried to hard to just be Iron Man Phase 3 but I think they managed to make it stand out by having Strange be such an asshole to start out with
>>
>>87515392
I'm not saying "the next one will be better", I'm just saying that Strange was canonically an asshole and only lost that trait over his stay at Kamar-Taj. That took years in the comics, giving him his signature white stripes in his hair.
MCU!Stephen spends far less time at Kamar-Taj and thus only starts to mellow out near the end of the movie. So he'll be considerably nicer during the next installment.
>>
Visually and atmospherically, it was pretty much perfect.

The plot was fairly standard, but it's a film; in a visual medium, plot is one of the less important facets, at least for me.
>>
Man, Tilda Swinton really nailed her role.

Too bad about all the people bitching about it.
>>
>>87516644
tbqh she choose to be racist
>>
>>87511746
>No. They mentioned "some sort of experimental tank",
They said armor, or suit. It definitely did not say tank. Also, the patient was described as an air force colonel.

The film shows Avengers tower, not Stark tower.

SHIELD was keeping files on anybody that wouldn't fall in line. It was a predictive algorithm of people who would resist Hydra, not a simple list of powered people.

Film takes place after Civil War,.
>>
>>87516679
I think the director laid out some good reasons for doing what he did, however I also feel that he should have realized that it wasn't really the "lesser of two evils" though. He should have just damned the torpedoes and ran full steam ahead. You can take perceptions and turn them on their head by making your version, you know, NOT a caricature.

There were going to be complaints either way so they might as well have kept him Asian, even if they didn't keep him a him.

At any rate they already chickened out with Mandarin. The "real" Mandarin in that short will surely never show up.
>>
>>87515310
The lines on his face were the same lines they used to depict things burning with flames in that style of comic art back then. Look at the human torch. Purple is an acceptable color scheme but weird rigid ripples is NOT how I would translate Dormammu's original appearance into CGI.
>>
>>87514339

>Eh the movie is racist if you actually think about it for a second

No, the world is racist. Disney does that because it needs to enter the chinese market, and the chinese censorship is very strict about depiction of chinese people and their culture. It's best if they don't include any chinese stuff at all.
>>
Just came back watching it. I like it but it really wasn't a must watch.
>>
>>87511421
>Found I'm here to bargain silly
Consider the following Anon. There is no concept of time in that dimension. We don't know how long he was in there, and given that he was fighting an elder being it was probably a long time, because centuries of life give you patience. Strange was murdered over and over again for an indefinite amount of time. If I was being conservative I'd have to say probably a year at least given the final suggestions of annoyance but Dormmamu is hella old bro, so it could have been much longer. He went to that fate over and over again, feeling every end, every time it didn't work out, and was still willing to go on. Everything has a price Anon, everything.
>>
Solid movie. Great effects, awesome action scenes, the resolution to the main villain was my favorite in any MCU film to date. That being said, my fucking god it had some out of place humor. The Cloak of Levitation didn't need to be his fucking anthropomorphic sidekick, the movie wouldn't let the audience feel sad for a moment without throwing in another joke. In addition, I hated how it was paced. Strange shouldn't have had has accident in 2016, he should have been training for at least a couple of years. It would have been easy! Give him the white streaks after he's been training for a while to show that he's aged a little. It would give Rachel McAdams' character and his reunion have more weight, since she hadn't seen him for a couple years instead of the six months at most he was at Kathmandu. Speaking of McAdams, what a useless fucking character. Yes, I get it, we need to have a love interest so Strange can have some attachment to the real world and be tempted to heal his hands so he can be a doctor again. But nothing about her character was interesting. She was just there for Strange to bounce off of. Of course, I'm assuming everyone was in on the joke of casting Irene Adler from the Guy Ritchie films to star opposite Beneficial Cucumberpatch.
>>
>>87510472
So Dr. Strange is making over 85Mil opening weekend. I guess this busts the myth that people are getting tired of superhero movies... well GOOD superhero movies. Snyder movies need not apply.

I liked Dr. Strange, it was awesome, otherworldly, and it had Dormammu as an actual humanoid giant entity instead of a cloud or just a face in the fog.
>>
>>87511276
yea when I saw that scene I was confident into getting Stranged
>>
File: 1478108572327.png (1MB, 540x812px) Image search: [Google]
1478108572327.png
1MB, 540x812px
I find it interesting that nobody has brought up the scenes of Swinton dying and Steange freaking out when he liked the guy. I thought those were two of the strongest scenes in the film that weren't action.
>>
>>87517821
*when he killed the guy

Strange only killed one guy in the whole film, a really long process, and dispatched everyone else with the cape and his mind. I really liked Thad facet of the film
>>
File: 1424827981853.jpg (403KB, 1024x1596px) Image search: [Google]
1424827981853.jpg
403KB, 1024x1596px
>>87514498
You've been reading too much modern Dormmamu.
This is pre- complete and utter bitichification.
>>
>>87511797
>I was laughing, the rest of the audience was laughing.
It's meant to be funny. He was trolling the shit out of Dormammu to the point that he was begging for it to stop
>>
>>87513159
I'd be very interested in hearing what Ditko thought of the movie. Too bad the man is a hermit that won't speak to anyone.
>>
>>87512489
>no one can ever have an into story because iron man had one

Why are you such a faggot, anon?
>>
>>87510472
I found it pretty excellent. The plot was basic but delivered extremely well, it had strong core themes that it played upon competently (especially with that ending, holy shit), the entire cast delivered spectacular performances, and the visuals were great.

My one gripe is that Mads doesn't deserve to be a Mindless One, he's too good, and while he managed to make Kaecillius a step ahead of most villains on pure menace alone, some more work could have been done to flesh the dude out more fully. I'm glad there's SOME room for a return by him.

I doubt it will possible to discuss the film on this board though. The DC asshurt is too luminous, they're already warming up their "lmao quips".
>>
>>87512489
the eye holds the stone you dingus
>>
>>87514800
>Not a single mention of the Vishanti

Agamotto is one of the Vishanti.

Do you even Doctor Strange?
>>
>>87510472
Pacing is off, the plot is generic origin story adaptation, Benditoot's attempt at an American accent is weak, and there's constant tonal inconsistencies because of the need to shove jokes into scenes that are otherwise very serious.

But holy fuck the VFX were amazing enough to make up for the rest of the movies failures.

Basically, I thought this was a decent movie being carried on the back of the VFX, but it makes me hype as fuck for the sequel since we can just jump right into the magic instead of spending half the movie on your usual origin story issues.

Also, I think it was a hugely missed opportunity not working the "I've come to bargain" line earlier into the movie for foreshadowing. They could have had something like TAO seeing enough of Strange's destiny that she knew he'd approach Dormammu to make a bargain, but know nothing else about the context giving her reason to fear training Strange and him ending up like Kaecilius.
>>
File: supereeee.png (42KB, 126x218px) Image search: [Google]
supereeee.png
42KB, 126x218px
>>87514800
>7. Name dropping the Living Tribunal.
That was possibly the biggest didn't like for me
WHY THE FUCK WOULD THE MULTIVERSAL OVERSEER HAVE A FUCKING STAFF
Stank of flicking through an OHOTMU and picking a name at random to me. Staff or Watoomb or Cytorak or Denak, sure, but LT's SEVERAL levels above that shit. Shouldn't have an """artifact""" at all. If he did, it would be beyond Infinity Stone tier. Not a goddamn stick any old monk has access to.
>>
At least his hands are pre-fucked up. Hulk will no doubt be disappointed.

Speaking of, both Strange and Hulk in the next Thor. Gonna be pretty packed.
>>
>>87510601

Then go see it now. What's stopping you?
>>
>>87510611
>>87510619
>>87510472
The amount of Marvel shill in this thread disgusts me...

>>87510686
>It's the equivalent of listening to the Tron soundtrack throught a phonecall.
except for this guy. this anon is a wordsmith to put The Bard to shame. Clearly the hero Disney deserves.
>>
>>87514507
So you walked out after the credits and post credits scene and demanded a refund for something that was obvious if you weren't such a fucking casual?

How'd that go for you?
>>
>>87514507
A refund for a movie that won't come out for 3-5 years?
>>
>>87515392
It didn't.
Strange starts the movie as a selfish guy seeking fame. He doesn't wan to work in the emergency room because he's not going to get anything named after him that way and it's not going to advance his career. He's so self centered that during literal brain surgery he's willing to argue with someone over a wikipedia entry just so he can say he won.

While everyone is laughing at "DORMAMMU I'VE COME TO BARGAIN" and turning it into a meme, you need to look at what that actually is.

The Strange that was obsessed with winning is now willing to lose, over and over, literally forever.
The Strange that was obsessed with fame is making his greatest act one that exists literally in another dimension where nobody else can ever see it (and because magic is largely a secret in this universe, likely no one will ever know).

It only took one movie to complete that arc. This was Iron Man done right.
>>
>>87516191
>plot is one of the less important facets

You are a goddamned retard
>>
>>87511855

Comic fans..... I swear you guys....besides avengers tower being there......

One World Trade Center was there and completed. It's construction wasn't completed till 2013. In Avengers they got it's construction phase pretty accurate for where it was in may 2012. The film takes place post 2013.
>>
File: 1452031921236.gif (1MB, 450x269px) Image search: [Google]
1452031921236.gif
1MB, 450x269px
>>87518381
>The Strange that was obsessed with winning is now willing to lose, over and over, literally forever.
>The Strange that was obsessed with fame is making his greatest act one that exists literally in another dimension where nobody else can ever see it (and because magic is largely a secret in this universe, likely no one will ever know).

Holy shit dude. You just blew my mind.
>>
>>87517821
Those scenes go against the argument that it's a comedy so we have to pretend they don't exist or we're shills.
>>
>>87516806
>I think the director laid out some good reasons for doing what he did

You mean excuses.

We 100% know exactly why he did what he did- because China is in the process of culturally eradicating the Tibetans, and if Marvel didn't help them by refusing to acknowledge Tibet as a place that exists, they wouldn't make money in China.

Marvel, for all their social justice virtue signalling, is complicit in cultural genocide.
>>
>>87518455
>muh morals
>>
>>87518455
You sound like one of those people that watched avengers and got offended at the bit where Steve hands Fury ten dollars.
>>
>HURR MUH WHITE WASHING

>the Ancient One is a completely new ancient one
>celtic woman
>line of ancient ones
>>
>>87518484
>white knighting china
>>
>>87518455

Yea, they will always be china's bitch. There's too much money. Mt.Everest in Nepal is the closest we'll get to Tibet. Im surprised they did that, but I guess china can't deny the tallest mountain exists.
>>
File: 1434130843788.png (314KB, 534x406px) Image search: [Google]
1434130843788.png
314KB, 534x406px
>>87518381
>The Strange that was obsessed with winning is now willing to lose, over and over, literally forever.
The Strange that was obsessed with fame is making his greatest act one that exists literally in another dimension where nobody else can ever see it (and because magic is largely a secret in this universe, likely no one will ever know).

How the fuck did I not notice that shit in the movie is beyond me, but thank, dude.

So, does that mean Strange is a complete better hero than Iron Manlet, and it only took him 1 movie?
And also,
>>
>>87518525
>let's make an adaptation of Doctor Strange!
>only let's make sure to make it nothing like Doctor Strange and also change every character

brilliant
>>
>>87518525
Not to mention doesn't Strange immediately think the old asian guy (Master Hamir I think?) was the Ancient One?

Isn't that kinda racist?
>>
>>87518546¨
*And also, which are the best Strange comics to get right now?

I mean, for a buddy that really wants to know about him and all the magic mumbo stuff.
>>
File: 1469273264738.png (254KB, 427x482px) Image search: [Google]
1469273264738.png
254KB, 427x482px
>>87510728
>MCU
>standards
>>
>>87518525
women can't be celtic
>>
>>87518442
>>87518546
You guys are pulling my leg right? This stuff was obvious.
The real mind blowing MCU character s Falcon. He spends most of them movies being Steve's therapist and it's so easy to miss.
>>
File: 1475239480859.jpg (6KB, 250x203px) Image search: [Google]
1475239480859.jpg
6KB, 250x203px
@87518557

Iron Man 1, GOTG, Winter Soldier and Ant Man are some of the most detached from the source material MCU movies and are also the best ones.

>Iron Man being kidnapped by the fucking Taliban and helped out by a middle easteen guy isn't a big deal but a celtic sorceress is

Why did you faggots crawl out of the woodwork now and not then? Simple: you don't give a rat's ass about Tibet, you want hot piping (You)s. Too bad you aren't gettin one.
>>
>>87513521

>hurhur I dont wanna gib Marvel my money, shills

>but I still really wanna see it

lol butthurt fagget stop being poor and pull yourself up by your bootstraps.
>>
>>87518381
>The Strange that was obsessed with winning is now willing to lose, over and over, literally forever

I can't believe how many tards on /co/ are missing this obvious theme.
>>
ANON! I'VE COME TO BARGAIN!
>>
So, did we get any reference to Shuma Gorath?
>>
>>87518622
I mean, to be fair, most people would have only noticed after a second view, and in my case, going with friends makes it miss some subtle stuff.

But in my case, I did notice Falcon being a sort of therapist to Steve, but I thought it was more obvious in WS.
>>
>>87518730
Because "marvel movies are generic comedies with no themes and no depth, only quips".. You won't see anything with that mindset.

These niggas need to forget everything they think they know.
>>
>>87518088
>>87514800
>7. Name dropping the Living Tribunal.

Must have missed this. Which scene was that?
>>
>>87513840
Actually Bucky is the Winter Soldier, pickup a comic book you hot-topic poser.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/James_Buchanan_Barnes_(Earth-616)
>>
>>87518016
you are literally the first person to bring DC up you fucking faggot
>>
>>87518882

Mordo's weapon was the Staff of the Living Tribunal
>>
>>87518633
But surely there's nothing wrong with updating Tony Stark from his origin during the Korean War.
>>
>>87512489
>the fact that The Eye of Agamotto(spelling) was an infinity stone doesn't make a lot of sense to me because this whole movie feels extremely disconnected from the Avengers

How do you feel about the Orb/Power Stone being out in spaaaaace where no Avenger can reach it?
He's already seen Thor for an audience, the connection has therefore been established. Thor only needs to go "I know this guy who can do magic" in Infinity War and Strange gets called in.

Also
>Infinity Stones
>making sense
>>
Too much martial arts. what is this Iron Fist?

the Harmon punch ups were really out of place in parts.

Where are my damn magic fireballs, lighting bolts, beams of energy, etc?

hairy hosts of hoggoth?

not enough time past. less than a a year passes. he wakes up, gets a lot of experimental surgery with in weeks, then fucks off to Nepal. trains up on mahic in a few months.
>>
>>87518397
How so?

It's a visual medium. It's not a book, it's a film. The narrative isn't the most important aspect.
>>
>>87518633
>>87518968
TAO is like Steve Rogers. Their points on the time line can be rendered immovable because they're immortal/frozen respectively.

Conversely Iron Man is an example of the sliding timescale. His origin gets shifted to "whatever conflict we were in 10 years ago".
I think Punisher is the same way?
>>
>>87517872
Still looks like a powerful wizard to me. Not some solitary feature of a twisted dimension.
>>87518813
A giant eyeball in a green and pink dimension of pure chaos that turned out to be Dormammu...
>>
>>87519025
>"whatever conflict we were in 10 years ago"
So.. right now it's the War against the Lich King?
>>
>>87518990
Hoary hosts. It means like... gray and aged.
>>
>>87519025
Honestly I prefer grumpy old Frank from Ennis' run.
>>
>>87517872
Fuuuck if they had given us this Dormammu I guarantee these threads would be nothing but bitching about Ultron style quips.
>>
>>87518575
There was a Mega link for an introductory package.
Good stuff:
>Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
>A Separate Reality
>A Nameless Land, A Timeless Time
>The Oath
>>
>>87518995
I agree with this anon, who cares about the story? It's just a comic book movie, just learn to enjoy it and not take things too seriously.
>>
>>87518088

i think you missed the point of the enchanted weapons. they are relics imbued with power. The staff could be holding less than a fraction of The Living Tribunals actual power.

why do things have to be explained to people?
>>
>>87519138
I don't get why people recommend The Oath. It's just because Vaughn wrote it, isn't it?
>>
>>87519025

Punisher is best with Vietnam and the Marvel U has shit to allow it. Bloodstone, deageing, stuff like that.

other media, well US has been in the middle east for a generation now
>>
>>87519148
It's probably just named after it and has nothing to do with the Living Tribunal.
>>
>>87519128
You're right and I hate it but I still vastly prefer that to what we got.
>>
>>87519141
I'm not just saying it in a 'turn off your brain' way, either.

A painting doesn't have to tell a story. It can, but it doesn't have to. Neither does a song. Why must a film?

Eraserhead is one of the greatest films of all time and there's only a bare semblance of a narrative there. It's strength lies in its visual composition and the use of sound, motion and colour to create an atmosphere of dread.
>>
>>87519168
It's actually because the movie is heavily influenced by it and anon's buddy would feel right at home with some familiar situations.

I myself was thinking to get "What is it that disturbs you, Stephen?", a collection that comes out later this month. Does anybody know if it's any good?

This is what's in there:
DR. STRANGE: WHAT IS IT THAT DISTURBS YOU, STEPHEN? 1; DR. STRANGE ANNUAL 1; MARVEL PREMIERE 7; DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) 34; MATERIAL FROM DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) 46; MARVEL FANFARE (1982) 5, 6, 8; CHAMBER OF CHILLS 1-2; JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY (1972) 4
>>
>>87510601
My brother. Such bullshit, but at least we got Civil War early.
>>
>>87518269
>The amount of Marvel shill in this thread disgusts me
What are you doing here then? go back to the DC shilling thread
>>
I loved that the morality in the movie wasn't black and white, the ancient one was a hypocrite and Doctor Strange was selfish, no one character was 100% morally righteous and the guy that wanted to bring the world to the dark dimension was understandable in wanting the world to be immortal, it seemed like something people would actually be zealots for.
>>
>>87514149
Jesus she's 56

Giving old Keanu a run for his money
>>
>>87514149
Confidence without being an asshole is what I'd call her je-ne-sais-qoui
>>
>>87510601
I dled one that's blurry but with good sound, another one with better imagery but crappy sound.

But I'm living in the middle of nowhere in France, so it's not like I can go to a cinema and watch it in english anyway
>>
> when the world started bending onto a fucking mortal kombat arena and the music blasted as the ancient one showed up
>>
>>87511731
my inner co/ck/ made yearn for some fried noodles. Ended up having a falafel afterwards.
>>
I'm really digging what they're doing with Baron Mordo. Instead of being in Kaecilius's role like usual, he's fighting for the natural order of things and believes sorcerers are perverting natural law
>>
File: 1421372307960.gif (835KB, 280x189px) Image search: [Google]
1421372307960.gif
835KB, 280x189px
>mfw Strange died
I kinda figured Dormammu would be a bit out of his league at this point.
>>
>>87519230
It's just a movie dude, why can't we enjoy it?
>>
>>87518442
>>87518546
Babbies having their minds blown up, how cute.
>>
>>87519832
"Martha"
>>
>>87519262

other than maybe just Doctor Strange, I don't see how to The Oath influenced the movie. The oath was about Strange Battling for a cure to save Wong from cancer and the struggle of using magic to cure him or let Wong destroy himself with chemo therapy and grueling cancer treatment
>>
>>87519912
There's the "assissting the operation from the astral plane" bit and the fact that Dr. Nicodemus West is a doofy face character instead of a heel in the movie.
>>
>Doctor Strange has a bunch of themes and symbolism about about time.
>The final fight is all about turning back time and manipulating it
>It's released daylight savings weekend when we turn the clocks back an hour
>>
>>87520064
Also, the timeline of the movie is totally fucked up.
All of this happens sometime between January and December 2016.
Wong wasn't wrong (heh) when he said manipulating the natural order would have repercussions.
>>
>>87510472
>It's a the latest Marvel movie is the best one yet or on the Top 3 overall episode
never again falling for this shit
>>
>>87519670
>I like that they're randomly changing a character from the source material for no reason

...why?
>>
>>87519092
Nah. He's an energy being. Closer to the latter than the former ('specially after he took over the Dark Dimension). His origin was in the backup of Strange's 80s/90s ongoing.
>>
>>87519893
WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!
>>
>>87520200
Because Mordo is a generic power-hungry villain. He's flat as fuck. He even knows he's doing evil.
MCU Mordo is a morally conflicted character clinging to the good side through a set of rules he set for himself because he believed his mentor would do as well. He tossed it away when he found out that wasn't the case.
>>
File: 822ed7ac.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
822ed7ac.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
>>87518381
Oh sure but when THOR does it it's shit...
I like this one more anyway.
>>
>>87519138

And here's the Doc Strange intro package:

>http://mediafire.com/?araspaddej639ae
>>
>>87518557
t. someone who's never actually cared about Dr Strange
>>
>>87520282
>>87518575
Knock yourself out.
>>
not enough gay implications. how am I suppose to write yaoi dr strange fics now? the female love interest was really forced btw.
>>
>>87520279
I love MCU Thor
>>
File: 1344656072773.jpg (26KB, 285x281px) Image search: [Google]
1344656072773.jpg
26KB, 285x281px
>>87520331
>implying Night Nurse was Strange's love interest

She was his -only- friend before Wong and there's zero implications they'll ever be back together.

He doesn't keep her watch because he wants to fuck her, he keeps it to remind him he has a tie to the mortal world.
>>
Guys why didnt Mads take the infinity stone in the beginning after he killed the librarian? Why didnt he steal the whole book to know about the warnings?

If TAO knew Strange's future was going places, why'd she waste her time throwing him out of the temple at first (dick move?). Why did Black guy stick up for him / think he'd be as good as Mads? Why did Black guy/TAO give Cumberpatch so much info that he wasn't remotely trained enough to know?

WHAT WAS IN THE FUCKING TEA?
>>
>>87519946
The operation was in Don't Pay The Ferryman decades before Oath.
Which incidentally >>87518575 should add to his list, alongside >>87519138 and >>87519262 (dat Russel art).
I'd reccommend wholesale replacing Oath with Dr Strange Season One desu. Does Wong camaraderie better, as well as Strange in general better.
>>
>>87520369
maybe not in the comics (I am a DC guy) but in the movie they came as close to kissing as they could get without disrupting the actor's irl marriage.
>>
>>87518859
People talk about /tv/ shitting up the board and only mean "talking about adaptations instead of about the source material", not realizing the real problem.

What being taken over by /tv/ posters really means is everyone talks like pretentious Film School students. "Quips ruin scenes that should be serious", "Muh depth", "muh cinematography", etc. spouting these terms without actually knowing what they mean, thinking fucking Zack Snyder is deep, the kind of assholes who if they actually made a movie, it'd be the perfect cliché student film: 15 minutes long, in black and white, and the subject would be "a heroin junkie silently makes eggs for breakfast"
>>
File: m.jpg (308KB, 972x1513px) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
308KB, 972x1513px
>>87520246
mordo actually has a pretty tragic backstory but whatever. I guess zealot who's life philosophy is formed around fear of consequences we never see in the movie is cool too. Though really since no writer has ever revised mordo's life/upbringing in at least 30 years it might as well not exist.
>>
>>87520399
>Guys why didnt Mads take the infinity stone in the beginning after he killed the librarian? Why didnt he steal the whole book to know about the warnings?

He was short sighted. He was a Dormammu supporter without knowing everything Dormammu did for christs sake.

>If TAO knew Strange's future was going places, why'd she waste her time throwing him out of the temple at first (dick move?).

Either initial disappointment at him or testing him.

>Why did Black guy stick up for him / think he'd be as good as Mads?

reminded him of himself, desperately wanting to be taught, and also was impressed by his tenacity/fighting the goons on the street

>Why did Black guy/TAO give Cumberpatch so much info that he wasn't remotely trained enough to know?

same reason the books arent restricted in the library, knowledge isn't given in ranks, it is all free at the monastery

>WHAT WAS IN THE FUCKING TEA?

honey
>>
>>87520369
Eeeeeeeeh
>>
>>87520462
Your pic makes it seem they did Mordo just right in the MCU.
>vague acts of debauchery and malevolence
>repentant sinner
>disappointed in his once revered mentor

checks out, doesn't it?
>>
>>87519148
I got it just fine. Even the fractioniest fraction of the Living fucking Tribunal's power shouldn't be something you can contain in a closest closet filler. Like I said, he's a tier beyond that. It cheapens what he is to say that he has a relic in the same breath as nerds like Valtorr.
>>87519193
That's not much better imo. Same principle. A guy who can shut down the whole blasted Infinity Gauntlet on a whim deserves more respect than that.
>>
>>87511709
I agree. His whip thing that he does was thr only thing he did.
>>
>Dormammu, I...
>>
>>87519697
He is. Hence why Strange had to trick his way around it. Just like their first meeting in the comics.
>>
>>87520351
heehee yay!
>>
>>87520515
*broom closet filler
>>
>>87520509
not quite. mordo became a mage to avenge his father. Which while not the best use of magic is hardly as bad as he describes it. it also turns out the ancient one didn't really try to turn him away from revenge but sort of kept him around while he hatted for strange to show up. that issue was just the last word in general about his origins and maybe non-canon due to plot things I won't bring up.

He dies of cancer and has a daughter
>>
Dormammu
>>
visuals were impressive but...

nothing stood out. his character wasn't unique, he was the same 'sarcastic but driven genius' as tony and the plot didn't do anything unique

confronting dormammu was fun but other than that it was pretty much beat for beat like every other marvel movie. mads was completely underutilized.
>>
>>87520614
Also
she dies

also turns out that it's both that he turned to magic and sought the ancient one for revenge and did a bunch of crazy evil things before they met.
>>
>>87514263
Bait?
>>
>>87513937
I personally thought it was great that instead of the climactic battle being the usual destruction porn it instead had the setting getting repaired. Pretty neat.
>>
>>87518455
Companies aren't allowed to do business in China if they reference Taiwan or Tibet. It all comes down to money.
>>
>>87520462
That storyline is from the 90s. Literally the last Dr Strange arc before his comics got shut down for 20 years. It's the exception that proves the rule, JM DeMatties was the first guy in 30 fookin' years of character history to give Baron Mordo some personality beyond "incompetent mustache-twirling cuckold". He was like Robbie Rotten, but boring.
>>
>>87520687
I strongly disagree but w/e
Then again I never particularly liked Iron Man conceptually. Only Mahvel movies I didn't go to see in cinemas.
>>
>>87520279
That's not why Thor was shit.
Thor was shit because of the romantic subplot not being a subplot.
>>
>>87520843
>JM DeMatties was the first guy in 30 fookin' years of character history to give Baron Mordo some personality beyond "incompetent mustache-twirling cuckold"

I think we both now that isn't true. I maybe you don't but at they very least you have to know that the "cuckhold" thing isn't since he, you know, rules the dark dimension with Umar in his appearance right before that?
>>
File: 1464947203768.png (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1464947203768.png
6KB, 225x225px
Why the fuck didn't they just call Kaecillus Mordo and Mordo Kaluu?
>>
>>87521011
>Can you see Jane?
>Yes. She searches for you.

I loved that bit :(
>>
>i'm here to bargain

much like groundhog day, how many years do you think passed, or was it just moments?
>>
>>87521183
Time outside stood still. It could've been an eternity.
>>
>>87520687
>sarcastic but driven genius

Except that he had a problem taking a life. A HUGE problem that changes his character integrally.

Why is it that critics always focus on the jokes?
>>
>>87521204
It wasn't just that he took a life and went against the Hippocratic oath, he extinguished the guy's soul, too.
>>
>>87518494
Wait, why would anyone be offended by that?
>>
>>87521047
So they wouldn't have yet another throwaway villain out of Mordo? You seriously wanted them to one-and-done Mordo when Strange was just starting and barely had any control of his powers?
>>
>>87521316
People on /co/ are fucking retarded and thought it was because he was giving a tip to a black guy. Completely ignoring the part earlier where Steve said he bet money he couldn't be surprised. Retards on /co/ also thought, and probably still do think, that DCAU Lex Luthor was black, and that Strange in the comics in turkish.
>>
>>87521316
A bunch of people went "old timey racist steve is tipping fury like he's a servant" because it's more important to get offended than to remember they'd made a bet a scene earlier.

Same logic that goes "Mordo can't be the second one in command and top student! He's black! Therefore he must just be a servant! I need to be offended!"
>>
>>87521330
Why not? They've done it with damn near everyone else.
>>
File: 1343263864849.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
1343263864849.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>>87521392
>people complain about how generic Marvel villains are
>they change it up

>WTF ?????
>>
>>87521360
>Stüvün Strünç, Sörcerör Süprüm
>>
>>87521023
Cuckold was specifically a reference to how Strange is constantly consistently better than him despite his every attempt to the contrary, I wasn't being literal. No-one has been in the word's usage for quite some time. :^)
The Umar story was early Sorceror Supreme run, right? As I recall it started out as yet another example of Mordo getting pissy that he wasn't Dr Strange and promising Dormammu the Earth again. The Dark Dimension was being fought over by Clea and a very skinny Dormammu shortly before JM's arc so it's not like his success was long-lived.
On the spot most I ever recall Mordo accomplishing was blowing up Earth. And even then, he was being used as a puppet by the real threat. And it, too, got completely undone pretty sharpish. The man's one of the most laughable supervillain's going. Fucking Urthona was more trouble for Strange and he had all of 2 appearances.
>>
>>87521330
Accuracy?
Mordo a shit. Neither of them acted as one note as he does but of the two Kaecillius was closer in his chumpery & blandness.
Eifor's character is interesting. Give his character a name something worth the effort. I would've accepted Jericho Drumm too.
>>
File: rachelmcadams2.jpg (542KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
rachelmcadams2.jpg
542KB, 2880x1800px
>wasting Rachel McAdams in that shit love interest role

Bravo, MCU.
>>
>>87513159
Why the fuck would you hate IMAX?
>>
>>87521505
She wasn't bad at all for her 10 minutes.
>>
>>87513521
Why do you even want to see the movie if you can't stand giving them money?
>>
>>87521505
literally who
>>
>>87521422
So the real point here is that you're saying mordo not killing the main character of the books he appears in is proof of his incompetence instead of stranger's exceptional ability?

What does he have to do to legitimize him besides killing strange? which is pretty much the only thing he hasn't done considering his status as strange's most implacable foe that isn't a superpower magical being from another dimension
>>
>>87521568
The Ancient One. Didn't you see her hold hands with Strange?
>>
>>87521558
'tism
Seriously though maybe he just wants to be in on the memes. I'm guilty of the same; like FUCK was I paying for a BvS ticket but I couldn't bear missing that car crash.
>>
>>87518909
That's factually incorrect.

Also, we all know guys like >>87511675
are DCkeks. They've turned levity of any kind into their dead horse.
>>
>>87521505
According to the director they were going for a subversion. She wasn't his love interest because that had been done in the previous stories. So in this case they made them a previous romantic couple who became friends. Then he fucks it up, goes to the Far Eastâ„¢, comes back to make her deal with his shit, shows him moral support, and doesn't even reappear for the movies ending.
>>
File: 222.jpg (241KB, 932x1412px) Image search: [Google]
222.jpg
241KB, 932x1412px
>>87521626
>>87521422

oh and him going with Umar is a little redemption thing the writers were flirting with at the time
>>
File: futurama-2.jpg (36KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
futurama-2.jpg
36KB, 600x420px
>>87510472

One thing that left me confused (super spoiler):

How did time keep resetting AFTER Strange died? I thought the action to make things go backwards was a manual one or at the very least that the caster had to be alive.
>>
>>87520412

Nah. Oath, for all its flaws nails Strange's personality a lot better than Season One.
>>
File: 3.jpg (29KB, 314x263px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
29KB, 314x263px
I was just really happy they established they were using spells and magic.

When TAO brought up "spells being too outlandish for your ears, you can think of it as a 'program'", I was about to roll my fucking eyes at how much shitposting this would get on /co/ by the end of the movie, but luckily that's the only time that happened and they keep calling it spells and magic.
>>
File: 2554354.png (119KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
2554354.png
119KB, 500x353px
>>87521707

Yeah, alright, she was basically Jane 2.0.
>>
>>87521728
Bites za dusto has no weaknesses.
>>
>>87521814
She wasn't important to the actual entire plot like Jane was for both movies so no.
>>
>>87521728
He cast the loop spell on himself. He did exactly what Mordo and Wong warned him would happen as a worst case scenario if he kept tampering with the Eye.
Remember, he could also reinsert the pages Kaecilius had taken from the book by returning it to a previous state, and the apple kept being eaten and un-eaten and I'm sure none of it landed in Strange's stomach.
Meaning that the original Strange died when Dormammu blasted him to bits and the one we have now is the myriadst magical duplicate

I'm more confused how he managed to undo the loop.
>>
>>87521728
He built a spell on his rest, remember? This band represented the timeloop he was creating. It wasn't the manual turn dial he'd been using previously.
>>
>>87521815
That's Sheer Heart Attack pleb
>>
File: MARVEL VIDEO GAME CINEMATICS!.png (321KB, 545x405px) Image search: [Google]
MARVEL VIDEO GAME CINEMATICS!.png
321KB, 545x405px
>>87514263
Hello new exploitable.
>>
>>87510601
maybe if you eat all your broccoli, mommy will give you enough 'god boy points' for a trip to the movies
>>
>>87521833

[Spoiler]Didn't he "break" the spell used to restore the city by falling on top of his wrist?
>>
>>87521833
>I'm more confused how he managed to undo the loop.
by not dying
>>
>>87521872
they were good though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYKNfMQqbE
>>
File: 568435138441.png (196KB, 305x369px) Image search: [Google]
568435138441.png
196KB, 305x369px
I think my favorite part of the movie had to be the fact that there is a brutal decapitation in the first 60 seconds.
>>
>>87521899
The manual one was lost, yes, but this was a different and previously unseen application so obviously it didn't. He said he had to break it himself, not even Dormy could do that.
>>
>>87521934
>brutal decapitation

Except that it was television quality and not remotely brutal
>>
File: 1309744569061.png (672KB, 1015x825px) Image search: [Google]
1309744569061.png
672KB, 1015x825px
>the first Astral Dimension scene
>>
How long do you think Stranged fucked with Dormammu?

I'd like to imagine thousands of years.
>>
>>87521934
>brutal decapitation
What exactly was brutal about it? You saw it off of a shadow on the wall. The pg13 mummy movies with brenden frasier had worse.
>>
File: War doctor happy.gif (1MB, 500x180px) Image search: [Google]
War doctor happy.gif
1MB, 500x180px
>>87521921
Of course!
>>
>>87521972
Given it's a marvel movie, it was probably only for a few hours.
>>
>>87521955
they had to keep it pg13 for them demographics
>>
File: 1324005182892.jpg (23KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
1324005182892.jpg
23KB, 600x610px
>>87521955

Still a decapitation in the first 60 seconds of a Disney movie.

That's about as close to brutal as we're going to get.
>>
>>87521833
>I'm more confused how he managed to undo the loop.
Forget that. I was hoping that since he seemed aware of each loop that he would gained the experience of each failure, and thus improve his capabilities each time. I didn't think it would get him to enough powers to eventually win but I thought he'd use this as a compressed trial by combat and be far a far better and more powerful and competent person with his powers afterward. I guess he still might have, but they never mentioned it.
>>
>>87521973
>>87521934
FoX-Men Apocalypse had more brutal stuff happening in the first 2 minutes.
>Two guys getting flayed and thrown against a wall
>one guy squashed into the shape of a ball
>another guy set ablaze
>rocks fall, everyone dies
>>
>>87521626
Pre-empted, anon. I already cited Urthora. :^)
I'm 40% Silver Dagger DID kill Strange for a hot minute too. Which if so makes Mordo's incompetence all the more embarrassing.
It's not like it's just me either. 'Member MODOK Assassin last year? Being beneath Strange's notice has become an ingrained character trait at this point (granted, I got sick of Aaron a few months ago so haven't caught up).
I don't even know what we're arguing by this point. He's not Strange's archenemy, he's not had many standout moments and he's not particularly entertaining in his own right so its not like he has a reputation to defend. I'm not even saying get rid of him, like you said his failure illustrates just how good Strange is. Dude has to go fight Great Ones if he wants a challenge.
>>
>>87521934
>>87522005
You really need to watch more movies.
>>
>>87522027
He didn't seem more capable at all during any point of the loop. He always died to the first thing Dormammu threw at him, sometimes without any resistance (BEHOLD MY MIGHTY HAND, anyone?). Dormammu just got so annoyed he threw the game.
>>
File: 1343678702467.png (155KB, 501x267px) Image search: [Google]
1343678702467.png
155KB, 501x267px
If the timeloop deactivated when strange died, how come Dormammy didn't restrain him so he wouldn't kill him and Strange couldn't kill himself?
>>
>>87522045
>I'm 40% Silver Dagger DID kill Strange for a hot minute too
He did. I read A Seperate Reality yesterday. Strange embraced Death, met the Ancient One and as a reward was reborn into the physical plane, reinhabiting his body, now immune to age and disease.
>>
>>87522147
>>
>>87522147
Dormammu is literal hothead and didn't think about it. He just wanted the annoying cumberfly gone. Killing something normally rids you of its presence. Restraining does not.
>>
So, with the Ancient one fucking Dead, how will the films introduce Shuma Gorath?
>>
Did Cummerbund voice Dormammu too?
>>
>>87522096
Not always. During his many deaths we had times when he was still deploying his shields. In other words despite knowing about the timeloop he was still occasionally putting up a token struggle...for some reason. The most logical I can think of is practice, but I suppose you could argue it was instinct.
>>
>>87522045
>I don't even know what we're arguing by this point.

we'll you said no other writer save for JM DeMatties had given morodo a "personality" when the two writers before him did and then switched to calling him incompetent

>he's not had many standout moments

The cynic in me thinks this is a no true Scotsman thing we're you make a qualified statement to keep me from calling you out on the internet, but I'll take it at face value and ask what his stand out moments are in your eyes and then stop there since this is just I think mordo is about as good as another strange villain and don't want to spend anymore time on this
>>
>>87522246
It was his face, at least.
>>
>>87522246
Yes. And provided mocap.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcsFThvQzMY
>>
>>87521716
Oh I know he turned on Dormy at the climax of that arc. Given that he gets a throne out it just struck me as a selfish grab for power all the same so I didn't bring it up. :P
Nah seriously though that page was one of the few "standout moments" I was thinking of. Alongside the cancer, his Book of Vishanti stuff and mmmmmmmaybe the aforementioned meat puppet thing (since it technically wasn't him).
>>
>>87522225
The death of TAO woke him from a slumber she put him under several hundred years ago, under the condition that the spell would remain in place as long as she lived? Meaning her syphoning off power from the Dark Dimension to live forever wasn't purely selfish, but had a pragmatic side as well.

>>87522246
Yes.
>>
>>87522225
Remember the prison in the Mirror Dimension that wasn't mentioned later on?
>>
>>87522246
Mocap. Voice was an uncredited Britbong.
>>
File: cloak of levitation.jpg (221KB, 570x1013px) Image search: [Google]
cloak of levitation.jpg
221KB, 570x1013px
Don't mind me just posting the best character of the movie.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcgxUxd5tZk

Honest question, why do the directors always put the best songs in the end of marvel movies?
>>
>>87522295
>Given that he gets a throne out it just struck me as a selfish grab for power all the same so I didn't bring it up

So the time they took staging those exchanges with him and Sara Wolfe were just pointless? and he also anticipated Umar licking him and making the offer after they won?
>>
>>87522326
Wasn't as easy to tell in the original version, but in Germany, they used the same voice artist with a ring modulator effect.
>>
>>87511386
Don't forget the Marvel Creative Committee don't fucking things up like they did with Dark World.
>>
File: Magic_Carpet_Promo.jpg (219KB, 709x813px) Image search: [Google]
Magic_Carpet_Promo.jpg
219KB, 709x813px
>>87522336
>>
>>87522366

>Not posting the actual best track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg

Anon...
>>
>>87522225
I'm hoping that he's in the Post Credits scene of Infinity Wars
It'd be a nice "OH SHIT!" moment for me at least
>>
>>87522529
I'm hoping for Doom. Can't Fox just fork over the rights to him and DS2 can be Triumph and Torment? And can Doom also be played by Mads, or at least Julian McMahon with a good script?
>>
File: kek.png (26KB, 1276x180px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
26KB, 1276x180px
>>87521693
>disliking the film simply means you'r a member of the opposition.
fucking sad
>>
>>87522256
See >>87522295
I also remember the arc where he goes completely 'nanners and tries to wipe out the multiverse but mostly for Man-Thing. As Mordo goes it was pretty par the course. He even tied the heroes up like a B&W silent movie villain the absolute madman.

>I think mordo is about as good as another strange villain and don't want to spend anymore time on this
I have to disagree that he's as good as any other, rather he just shows up more often than more entertaining, interesting, competent villains. But fair enough on wanting to stop, s'been fun.
>>
Choose wisley, /co/mrades:

>Capes (Avengers)
>Spies (SHIELD)
>Cosmic (Guardians)
>Street level (Defenders)
>Magic (Strange)
>>
File: saynamoresaynamore.gif (5KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
saynamoresaynamore.gif
5KB, 100x100px
>>87522371
Dude I said I put it on the list it's a win in your column.

...Soooooooo you still wanna talk about it after all?
>>
>>87522656
Magic (Doom)
>>
>>87514121
Everytime she showed up I couldn't help but remember Tomb raider's 2 intro and how the monk dude looks like her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HejbV0ogPXg
>>
>>87522366
I don't remember this being the credit music.
Because I remember thinking the credit music was ass for not being nearly Dr Strange enough and this sounds pretty damn Dr Strange.
Tune's familiar. Did they cover it with more generic instruments?
>>
>>87522225

Wong implied at the end of the movie that with one of the seals destroyed, a lot of evil forces other than Dormammu might come knocking.
>>
>>87522662
no, I just that it was a bullshit reason to exclude it that depends on the person not reading the issue it appears in or the one before it.

but you wouldn't do something like that would you?

last post though I promise
>>
File: 1441222239935.jpg (14KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
1441222239935.jpg
14KB, 620x465px
>>87520198
>mfw they explain continuity issues as a result of Strange's abuse of the Eye
>>
>>87522656
MAGICMAGICMAGICMAGICMAIGCMAGIC
The common term's "Mystic" btw
>>
I hated how they only used magic for creating poor weapons and manipulating the mirror dimension. Loved the look of most of the spells, but the application was boring.
>>
>>87522797

Yeah, that shit was dull. They better move beyond energy whips and shields for the next one.
>>
One of the patients being pitched to him before his crash is a woman with a neural implant to treat schizophrenia, who was struck by lightning. Is this a reference to something? Because that sure as fuck sounds like an origin story.
>>
>>87522776
>X-Men and FF are just bleedthrough from multiversal timefuckery, like Miles and Maker in Secret Wars
>>
>>87522856
Typhoid Mary crossed with Electro?
>>
>>87522754
I'll admit to forgetting the Wolfe part until you brought it up. The moment of him admitting he's been Dormammu's bitch for 25 years and should probably be his own man for once did indeed stick with me but it was too little too late for me to care too much. DeMatties was a lot more thorough and convincing IMO, it even made Mordo feel like Strange's archenemy proper for the first time since 1965.
>>
>>87522797
>they

You mean Strange? Mordo could fly.
>>
>>87510472
Having your third eye opened is kind of like breaking through on DMT
>>
>>87523079
Strange could fly. Mordo could doublejump.
>>
I was told there would be name chants for when powers would be used.
>No Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth
>>
File: DrStrangeSorcerersupre83-11.jpg (1MB, 1958x1509px) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeSorcerersupre83-11.jpg
1MB, 1958x1509px
>>87522797
>>87522821
My biggest gripe was that with a multiverse of energy to choose from everything comes out as golden sparks.
I brought this up to my bro and he unloaded some Media class BS about how it made it "recognizable".
Fuck that shit if he's not flinging around Rings of Ragadorr and Denakian Daggers and Crimson Cytorraks in the sequel imma be mad.
>>
>>87523079
All magic outside of the mirror dimension, shields and whips came from Artifacts.
>>
Remember all those faggots who said that real magic would never exist in the MCU?
>>
>>87522821
They're gonna have to. Without the Dark Dimension, the Inception warps won't be there for the sequel.
>>
>>87523186
Always an escape clause. Their magic is described as altering the "source code of the universe" and powered by the multiverse.
>>
>>87523113
Yeah, that was on my wishlist and learning I wouldn't get it dehyped me.
Still went, and it was still worth it. Maybe next time. None of his iconic spells even showed up (except for what mmmmmmight have been the Crimson Bands in the BARGAIN climax?) so maybe he simply hasn't learnt them yet.
>>
>>87523224
Inception warps were Mirror Dimension. And Dark Dimensions probably coming back desu (for the Threequel).
>>
>>87523228
That's just magic with set rules, which is always a hundred times better than "can do whatever the fuck you want" rule-less magic that's most often than not only used as a cheap cope-out by hack writers.
>>
>>87523228
The part about the source code of the universe is similar to how I've seen it explained in comics
>>
>>87523265
So Dark Dimension was just a power boost so magic would work in the real world without artefacts?
>>
File: nahlam8.png (23KB, 252x258px) Image search: [Google]
nahlam8.png
23KB, 252x258px
>>87523228
That's what it's always been you fuckin' mong.
If anything the comics made it more explicit since you needed to recite the unique source code for every spell.
>>
>>87523228
>Not magic
lol
>>
>>87520233
No he's an energy being from a full civilization of energy beings and amongst them he is the greatest wizard who can command the laws of their home dimension. He is basically sorceror supreme of the Dark Dimension and abuses his power fully.
>>
>>87523131
Word.
>>
>>87521505

Wasted actress. Reminded me of how useless Portman was in Thor.
>>
>>87523228
Doesn't TAO say something like
>It's magic, but if you're having trouble grasping the term, you can also think of it as tapping into the source code of the universe

She's just explaining it to him in terms he's comfortable with. Which is fucking ironic, because "It's magic lol" is already pretty basic and sciency stuff just lets it sound more complicated.
>>
>wasted Mads
>quipping
>le wifi kekekek
>le one name artists
>DORMAMU, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN

It was shit and Bongobongos Cucumber was terrible as Strange, as he was trying to be a rehash of RDJ's Tony Stark in the first Iron Man movie, and while RDJ is actually a good actor, Cucumber just isn't.
>>
>>87523312
Energy siphoned from the Dark Dimension was a source of immortality, since time (and therefore aging) did not exist there. However it was taboo to do so since it was ruled by a multidiensional tyrant who, surprise surprise, noticed energy being siphoned and added the the dimension doing it to his Christmas List.
Dormammu promised he wouldn't invade Earth again but given the iconic Dark Dimension characters that haven't even shown up yet he'll probably find a loophole.
>>
>>87515076
>>87515120
>>87515164

Shills surprised that not everyone likes the newest Marvel movie. It was alright but pretending it wasn't whitewash as fuck is lame.

Top dog in asia is white women, non white characters are her underlings and exist to go evil or have main white character perform boring jokes about Adele to. Villain magic monk is another white guy. Only other women in the movie has minimal lines. The movie doesn't even pass the bechamel test.
>>
>>87523330
Dark Dimension is not Dormammu's home Dimension. He's & his kind are from The Faltline.
>>
File: doctor-strange-concept-art-room.jpg (66KB, 620x298px) Image search: [Google]
doctor-strange-concept-art-room.jpg
66KB, 620x298px
Ok Saw it Friday...

When is the sequel?! Excellent MCU movie

Great everything... Even the short time on screen characters are great.
Wong was Wong! Hope to see him again and more screen time for his character...
>>
>>87523376
Strange's is a scientific mind. This is why he had trouble casting anything at first. So yes rationalization would help.
>>
>>87523497
>Wong was Wong!
The character or the actor?
Because he wasn't particularly Wong-y.
Not that that's a bad thing, it's very problematic.
>>
>>87523475
I haven't been on /co/ in a while, but this must be a joke, right?
>>
>>87511703
I don't see how you could say it was safe given how violent some of the deaths were
>>
>>87523322
>>87523321
>>87523302
Do you people not know what an escape clause is? It's not about what is in the comics, it's about the barebones rationalization. China has strict bans on more than just Tibet. They don't know magic, or ghosts, or a shit ton of other stuff.
>>
>>87523569
With /comblr/ it's hard to tell.
>>
@87523449
>If I just copy-paste the critics I've gathered from >>>/tv/ about a movie I haven't seen I bet I can get some ebin (you)s from /co/

Not today.
>>
>>87523569
He said 'bechamel' instead of 'bechdel' so I'm pretty sure
>>87523581
Nigga what the fuck are you talking about?
And I don't really understand what the problem is with trying to appeal to a fucking enormous audience
>>
>>87523581
Passed it off as reality warping, which is apparently not magic sounding enough to trigger China.
>>
The movie was just terrible even by MCU standards. Everything just happens with no reasoning behind it

>in NY sanctum, Strange tries running from Mads, Mads casts a spell to make the hallway longer
>in a later scene Strange just running from Mads in the mirror world, even though he knows Mads has a spell that can make distances longer
>Mikkelsen starts rotating the world, Strange and Mardo have no counter except to run
>they never fall to their deaths, Strange doesn't levitate his way out of it using his cape

same with every Marvel movie
>in one scene Iron Man is stronger than Captain America
>in another scene Captain America is stronger than Iron Man
it's shitty writing
>>
>>87523604
So you don't mind people trying to avoid supernatural in order to avoid triggering China but you also don't understand them doing so?
>>
>>87523228

For the last goddamn time, it's magic. Explicitly stated as such. Strange was told he could ~think~ of it in computer programming/scientific terms if it helped him understand it better but at the end of the day, it would still be M A G I C.
>>
>>87521972
At the very least several weeks.

At the very most, I'd say probably a decade or so.
>>
>>87523650
I don't think that's why they did it, but if they did I don't give a fuck
>>
File: 2hBebTU.jpg (135KB, 600x642px) Image search: [Google]
2hBebTU.jpg
135KB, 600x642px
>>87523449

lol
>>
>>87523667
Jesus Christ, anon, did you not get Thor 2 with the Soulforge, "no lol quantum field generator"
>>
>>87523714
Good thing we're talking about Dr. Strange and not Thor 2 then. The MAGIC in Dr. Strange is addressed as MAGIC and the people that use it as SORCERERS. It is magic and your stubborn denial of that simple, basic fact will not change the reality of it being magic. If it smells like magic, if it looks like magic, if it's ADDRESSED AS MAGIC it's fucking magic.
>>
>>87511731
I made an audible gasp at how cool the shot was. I dont necessarily know why its funny to some people.
>>
File: 124123192831.png (60KB, 520x484px) Image search: [Google]
124123192831.png
60KB, 520x484px
>anti magic shitposting still
>>
I felt like they cut a lot of stuff.

IMO Derrickson wanted to a more horror based, R-Rated flick. It feels like they cut a lot of stuff from the script too, considering it feels so rushed. Fuck Disney.
>>
>there could be terrible consequences for abusing the Eye of Agamotto!
>Strange abuses it to high hell and back to beat Dormammu and Kaecilius
>no consequences in the slightest
>>
File: 1473522778970.jpg (23KB, 640x362px) Image search: [Google]
1473522778970.jpg
23KB, 640x362px
>>87518269
On a scale of 1-cuck how mad are DC shills?
>>
>>87523815
>Using an infinity stone when a mad titan is looking for them to wipe out the known universe
>No consequences

Mordo was right. We do this shit to ourselves.
>>
>>87523768
You can pull the magic wand out of your butt any time there, Harry Potter. These movies are all part of the MCU. You just got an example of mystical passed off as science, albeit movie science hand waving BS. They did the same thing here. Didn't you pay attention to how she described how their powers work? Now you can argue that it was due to her "dumbing it down" for his stubbornly scientific mind, but if you told Jane about reality warping magic relying on multiversal theory she'd still call it quantum bs.

And therein lies how they were able to avoid China's ban on the strictly supernatural.
>>
>>87523815

Yeah, Dormammu is an honorable guy who won't take it personally that a pissant human humiliated him

And that Thanos guy won't be coming for the Eye in two movies time either or anything
>>
>>87510472
I am very happy they didn't try to make the car crash a result of that cucky lesser doctor, as payback or revenge.

Don't fucking text and drive you mongoloids
>>
>>87523901
what if i have a self-driving car tho
>>
File: srsli.png (89KB, 356x268px) Image search: [Google]
srsli.png
89KB, 356x268px
>>87523581
I remember someone posting this "China's banned magic!" thing years ago and when somebody later posted a source on things China's banned it wasn't actually there. :|
>>
>>87523768
Her magic never worked the way she initially explained it. Remember that bit about using the mind to rewrite biology and heal the unhealable? Turns out she later admits he never healed shit, No real healing magic. He was constantly using reality powers to bypass his damaged nervous system until Mordo fucked with him.
>>
>>87523836
>DC shills
If DC paid shills the metacritic ratings wouldn't always blatantly favor the mouse.
>>
>>87523916
You aren't driving, some computer is doing that for you. You're putting your life in the hands of 0's and 1's.

Good luck
>>
>>87510472

I was hoping for more magic scenes in the normal world with people flipping out, but I thought it was great, especially the ending. The fights scenes had way too many jump cuts though. You could hardly tell what was happening half the time.

I’m Dormammu, and this is my dark dimension. I rule here with my conquered planets and my eternal prisoner, Big Kaecilius. Everything in this dimension has a story and a price. One thing I’ve learned after six billion years – you never know WHAT is gonna come through that inter-dimensional door.
>>
>>87523917
China doesn't like sex, homosex, supernatural, drugs. Kept them from putting up with the new Ghostbusters.
>>
>>87523696
Goddammit anon why'd you have to give him a (You) he wasn't even trying
>>
File: img000034.jpg (477KB, 893x1400px) Image search: [Google]
img000034.jpg
477KB, 893x1400px
I know I'm gonna sound like one of Triple-Qs shitposters for this but
>>
>>87523768
>The MAGIC in Dr. Strange is addressed as MAGIC and the people that use it as SORCERERS. It is magic and your stubborn denial of that simple, basic fact will not change the reality of it being magic. If it smells like magic, if it looks like magic, if it's ADDRESSED AS MAGIC it's fucking magic.

The Ancient One literally explains to Strange that magic is basically programs, and using it is like writing source code
>>
File: dest_03_021.jpg (525KB, 1280x1995px) Image search: [Google]
dest_03_021.jpg
525KB, 1280x1995px
>>87523714
THOR MAGIC =///= STRANGE AMGIC
NEVER HAS BEEN
THEY WERE FROM TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CREATIVE MINDS
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>87523987
She says that it is a way for HIM to understand it in layman's terms.
>>
>>87523935
Exactly. You don't even get paid.
How sad is that?
>>
>>87521505
she's a worthless, pretty-face non-actor
>>
>>87514393
Have you sucked that fat Transylvania dick yet?
>>
>>87523987
>The Ancient One literally explains to Strange that magic is basically programs, and using it is like writing source code
How is that not magic you fucking idiot
>>
File: Dr Strange 021-26.jpg (1MB, 1280x1995px) Image search: [Google]
Dr Strange 021-26.jpg
1MB, 1280x1995px
>>87523856
How did Harry Potter fair in Chingchongland anyway?
>>
>>87523917

It isn't on a list because their system is kinda arbitrary and guideline based, there's no formal rules or rating system

>Offending content includes "wronged spirits and violent ghosts, monsters, demons, and other inhuman portrayals, strange and supernatural storytelling for the sole purpose of seeking terror and horror," the administration said.

>The new guidelines aim to "control and cleanse the negative effect these items have on society, and to prevent horror, violent, cruel publications from entering the market through official channels and to protect adolescents' psychological health."

It's mostly things they deem negative or harmful, not anything super natural or magical. It's why there's no issue with the magic in Strange.
>>
>>87523958
Ghosts specifically WAS explicitly included in this source though.
Closest thing it had to "no magic".
>>
File: download.jpg (13KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 224x225px
>>87521047

Because MCU Mordo isn't Kaluu. He's Silver Dagger.

>Strict code of right and wrong
>Feels sorcerers violate the natural order
>Dedicates his life to hunting them down one by one using their own power against them
>Strong melee combatant
>>
>>87524054

Yeah, she gives the magic = science comparison but it's not like Thor where it's played straight, she's doing it like she's explaining to a dummy but also makes it clear that it being explainable does not matter
>>
>>87524035
Anon, this is a "cinematic universe." They're putting at least a token effort to line them all up.

Nobody is scared of magic here, the notion is whether they had to pass it off explicitely with wacky pseudo science (see: >>87523987 ) in order to avoid having their movie banned in China. China makes up a huge portion of the box office so they're certainly be worried about anything that will lead to headlines like, "DOCTOR STRANGE SEES LOWEST BOX OFFICE FOR MCU. COMIC BUBBLE HAS BURST, MARVEL FINISHED."

Hell, if you've been following Suicide Squad threads they talk at length about China banning the movie. Is it because of the supernatural aspects? Was it because they dared have a character wearing a Japanese flag?

China is a very temperamental market, but it is still the 2nd biggest box office.
>>
File: 1477548977880.jpg (154KB, 948x1179px) Image search: [Google]
1477548977880.jpg
154KB, 948x1179px
>>87523935
>Implying you need to pay a shill

Damn you guys reek of JUST, from the movies to the fans its all so pathetic.
>>
>>87524101
You can google it. China has a longstanding "war" against Harry Potter. Refusing to allow translations, delays in releases, etc.
>>
>>87524166
Benedict Cumberbatch appeals a lot to the Chinese market thanks to the fact that they adore Sherlock, so there's no way they are prohibiting the movie from opening.
>>
>>87524249
The powers that be in China don't give a shit what the people want. On the other hand when the government officially bans something that's when bootlegs start spreading like wildfire anyway so the ban is effectively moot as to whether people can get a hold on it. It does still cut into the money the studios/publishers make, but then China seizes a lot of that anyway.
>>
File: 1435756603637.png (105KB, 232x235px) Image search: [Google]
1435756603637.png
105KB, 232x235px
>>87524166
Yes and in that token effort Thor =///= Strange. Comics or movies.
Fuck's sake classic Thor wasn't even explicitly magical Kirby was too busy drawing them flying space ships and firing laser guns and fighting aliens to explain it.

.........I get the impression we both think the other person is arguing a point they actually aren't.
>>
File: 1414440525971.gif (1MB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
1414440525971.gif
1MB, 512x288px
>>87524153
>>
>>87524295
I don't think anyone would argue that what they do is any less fantastical or, yes, even mystical. But if they can find a way to potentially handwave it away then all the better.

For what it is worth, Doctor Strange even has Agamotto, the father of the mystical arts, apparently having used an Infinity Gem. I'd argue that that doesn't make his magic any more mundane (and it was hardly explicitly said that he learned it from the Eye anyway, he could have just had magic AND an Infinity Gem). The Infinity Gems themselves are all kinds of freaky. They're frozen pieces of whatever is left from before the big bang. Is that not beyond reality? But it was likely part of what was enough to satisfy the censors in China.

Or who knows, palms were greased. Who can say.
>>
>>87524295
>>87524493
I don't really think we're going to "solve" anything in this arguing, and 4chan is hardly the place to solve anything. However I'm sure this will be dealt with when hopefully Strange meets Loki next year. I really hope they compare notes on their magic, at least briefly. Of course it'll probably be so vague that it won't really settle anything.
>>
So I don't watch every Marvel movie that comes out, but I have a question about the mid credits scene with Thor.

In the scene Thor and Loki areally looking for Odin, and Strange can help them find him.

But wasn't Loki impersonating Odin at the end of Dark World? Did I miss a movie/scene or reference of Thor thwarting whatever Loki was attempting to do at the end of Dark World? Or was that all just off screen now?
>>
isn't dormammu suppose to be a demon? in the movie it felt more like he was an alien
>>
>>87524784
No, in the MCU a lot of important stuff just happens off-screen so they can make the movies happen in real-time.
So we DIDN'T see Thor discover that Loki is impersonating Odin, which should've been a big deal.
>>
>>87524784

yeah find out the full story in thor 3.
>>
>>87524784

That scene is likely much like the one at the end of Ant-Man, that took place part way through Civil War rather than before it or at it's beginning
>>
>>87521876
but i want sex and chicken tendies
>>
>>87524858

Dormammu is and always has been an extra-dimensional warlord. Later era comics have depicted him as a more generic fire-and-brimstone style demon like Mephisto, and erroneously depicted the Dark Dimension as a hellscape. Dormammu is less "demonic" in the Judeo-Christian sense and more otherworldly and, yes, alien. In their first meeting Strange and The Ancient One both remark on how alien and incomprehensible Dormammu is.
>>
>>87522656
Is spidey cape or street in MCU? Remember he easily dealt with Falcon and Winter Soldier at the same time and did an impressive feat of strength by holding that speeding car inches away from a bus
>>
>>87524858
He'd be an interdimensional force, some section of the multiverse that accounts for whatever kind of being he is.

That's ironically what most of this arguing is about. The "thor 2≠Doctor Strange" people. Thor 2 had Lady Frigga and Loki talking openly about magic even as Jane is trying to write off what they do and Odin is outright shouting that they aren't gods.

Comic accurate or not, they're so very nearly the same thing as to make no damn difference. It's like a bare minimum excuse to cling to technobabble as an explanation for magic if you want it. Regardless all the shit they do is still magical. If they left off the quantum crap there'd be no change in how any of it worked.

At least that's how I view it.
>>
>>87524784
>>87524867

The scene is much like the Ant-Man post-credits scene: It's not a standalone scene, rather a clip from an upcoming film (Thor: Ragnarok) ensuring us that the character who just debuted will be seen again. What we saw will most likely be in Thor: Ragnarok.

The Mordo scene is more of a traditional post-credits scene.
>>
>>87524784
Speaking of credit scenes, my theater only played the mid-credit scene, what was the post-credit scene?
>>
>>87524784

This is what I'm going to believe until proven otherwise. Even the way Thor was acting is more evocative of Hiddleston's performance than Hemsworth.
>>
>>87525179
Poor Mordo. So damn bitter. I wonder if he'll become a straight up villain or a Loki style back and forth mostly-villain but still occasionally a buddy.
>>
>>87525159

Street but Spidey's always been really powerful for what he is
>>
>>87525213

We see Benjamin Bratt's character working in a mechanical shop. A hooded figure (Mordo) sneaks up on him, monologues a little bit, then steals Bratt's magic right out of him and leaves him paralyzed and crumpled on the floor. Upon being asked why, Mordo responds that there are "too many sorcerers in the world." Cut to black.
>>
>>87525162
>The "thor 2≠Doctor Strange" people.
I shouldn't have called anyone out, I didn't mean it that way. I just meant that I don't think that there will be much difference between what the Asgardians and Doctor Strange do. Hell, source code of the universe would explain how a lot of Asgardian tech works. I have absolutely zero proof about that. Maybe a case could be made about Thor showing no surprise about Earth having wizards and Doctor Strange feeling that Asgardians fell under his jurisdiction.
>>
>>87525334
I couldn't quite tell if Thor was surprised or just pleased about his beer mug refilling itself.
>>
>>87513521
I'm an epic rebel and I fight big companies we are anon lol. Bet fags like you love Watchdogs.
>>
>>87525213

Mordo tracks down the guy who used magic to cure his paralysis, tells him that in his time wandering he had a revelation, that ALL Sorcerers are inherently a threat to the natural order and corrupt the world, fights him, and forcibly tears away his ability to use magic, turning him back into a cripple.

When he asks why Mordo would do this, he leans in and whispers "because there are too many sorcerers"
>>
>>87525219

What's interesting about this version of Mordo is that, since they've gone down the Silver Dagger path with him, none of the classic Mordo stories make much sense. This is not a guy who'd ever ally with Dormammu the way comic Mordo would. Nor does Silver Dagger have enough great stories behind him that they can rely on those overmuch for material.

What they do with him will be pretty much ungrounded from the comics.
>>
>>87522397
Are they legitimately why it's shit?
>>
>>87525446
Regrettable, really. We know Earth needs them to protect against mystical threats. Someone has to maintain the points of protection.

I assume he means just people he doesn't agree with. He'd be fine with himself retaining his powers because he knows what is best. Unless he thinks Earth being consumed is part of the natural order that they were denying?

>>87525334
Flipside i just because Asgard uses tech wouldn't mean magic wouldn't still be real.
>>
What kind of dope ass tea do you think TAO served Strange?
>>
>>87525334

It all comes down to a matter of what each person calls it. Some of us are just happy that they finally had people calling it 'magic' and not using the "but really it's science" cop out.
>>
>>87525475
I can perceive of ways he might ally with Dormammu, but I can't swear by them. He's a man of extreme conviction in this movie and he's had that shaken profoundly. He's questioning their very purpose based on the post credits. This MIGHT be enough to make him vulnerable into believing that Dormammu is in actually a natural force as opposed to an alien incursion from beyond the dimensional veil (or whatever).

I personally don't like that kind of twist because it is the person we knew changed, pushed into a position that seems like madness compared to what they had earlier. But hell did it seem like Loki after Thor 1, the frost giant who would be king, would become second fiddle to anyone and allow himself to become Thanos' bitch? Like Ronan he might have been planning to turn on Thanos but he didn't even make it that far.
>>
>>87525560
Well Strange spent most of his time kind of not buying the actual magic. Jane would dismiss it but thank Odin she's gone now.

I can still see Loki and Frigga's powers being similar to Doctor Strange. I don't think there is anything in them that flat out contradicts each other. Each world has those who know the truth about not just the way the world or the universe but the whole damn multiverse works and it's something apart from what the uninitiated rabble from their world would never truly be able to fathom. FWIW they still talked about magic in Thor 2 and if what Loki could do was somehow science well sure as shit not everyone could do it.
>>
>>87525728

Didn't Loki call his illusion powers magic?

"You got her love, I got her magic" something like that
>>
File: Dormammu_2.png (261KB, 600x355px) Image search: [Google]
Dormammu_2.png
261KB, 600x355px
>>87514263
Cooler looking Dormammu, I'll give you that.
>>
This movie reignited my crush on that alien-looking motherfucker.
>>
>>87525748
When he was in prison I thought Frigg talked about she was the one who taught him magic. They were always closer than he was to his father. The bit early in the movie whens he was visiting him as a projection.
>>
>>87525748
>>87525829
And Thor in his first movie saying that where he comes from magic and science are the same thing.
>>
>>87511355
>that got a couple of genuine "o-hohoho"s out of the crowd
Same here
Even my dad went OHHHHH
>>
>>87523479
Faltine is their race name, that dimension was never named as I recall it.
Also merging his essence to the Dark Dimension using his faltine accretion powers pretty much qualifies that as his new home dimension because he would not be as powerful back in the dimension of the Faltine without first conquering it and performing the same ritual. Either way this is semantics because he is most definitely most powerful in the Dark Dimension no matter what you call it.

Also he took on his "not a giant purple rippling eldritch being" form BEFORE arriving in the Dark Dimension so the earlier point about Dormammu's appearance does end up transgressing on old continuity still so I still feel like old fans are entitled to being upset with the awful cinematic universe appearance.
>>
>>87524858
Alien probably describes what Ditko was going for more than demon does desu
>>
>>87525519

Mordo is presented as such a true believer, and feeling so legitimately betrayed by both the Ancient One and Strange that I think what he's saying and doing is absolute. He really is against all sorcerers now because even the best of them are doing things he thinks are unacceptable.

And for what it's worth, it's stated the weapon he carries is the "Staff of the Living Tribunal", which while I think is a movie invention, is based on a force that maintained balanced across the multiverse.
>>
>>87525789
>generic demon guy
>cooler looking
He looks like something that would be on a Yugioh card.
>>
>>87526764
Don't worry, if they decide to make him a full badguy they'll have him do a total 180 on his views that will leave him a generic villain who is either insane or just a massive hypocrite, Doctor Strange will hold a position that is obviously correct, and whatever artifacts he has that sound good will be something he's ultimately unworthy of and will be taken off him.

I'm kind of joking but also afraid this is exactly what would happen. It's depressing.
>>
>>87510686
>It's the equivalent of listening to the Tron soundtrack throught a phonecall.
No man could've said it better. Well done.
>>
I've been out of Strange's comics for some time now, but I know this has its source there. What was it name?
>>
File: Nico's staff.jpg (19KB, 720x352px) Image search: [Google]
Nico's staff.jpg
19KB, 720x352px
Also props for other characters.
>>
>>87526899
the wand of Watoomb???
>>
File: Wand-of-Watoomb.jpg (207KB, 861x409px) Image search: [Google]
Wand-of-Watoomb.jpg
207KB, 861x409px
>>87526899

That's the Wand of Watoomb
>>
>>87526978
Dammit, I had money riding on it being The French of Tickler.
>>
>>87526899
The wand of watoomb.
>>
>>87527018
That is one pissed off baby rattle.
>>
File: dee.jpg (28KB, 234x368px) Image search: [Google]
dee.jpg
28KB, 234x368px
Did the bargaining scene feel a little bit like something out of Jojo to anyone else?
Thread posts: 544
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.