[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dan Harmon's retarded punch ups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 490
Thread images: 40

File: 5180123-5280792940-latest.jpg (117KB, 479x640px) Image search: [Google]
5180123-5280792940-latest.jpg
117KB, 479x640px
>Beyonce joke
>Eminem Joke
>Adele joke
>Wi-Fi joke
>le wacky cloak Three Stooges shit

Can we just

have a serious movie

for ONCE
>>
Can you just

stop being a humorless cunt?
>>
Why would they fuck with something that's proven to make them money?
>>
Even Dark Knight had quips and jokes, get the fuck over it.
>>
>>87349412
>expecting a serious movie by Marlel

You only have your self to blame.
>>
>>87349412
No.

Enjoy your Sub-Mariner where Namor is fascinated by the "Youtubes" and wonders why SeaWorld sucks so much.
>>
Even serious shit like Band of Brothers and The Pacific have light moments.
>>
>>87349412
There's nothing wrong with levity and humour

There's everything wrong with quipping and outdated pop culture references
>>
>>87349412
we did. it was a joyless piece of shit
>>
>>87349469
>Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

Fucking Dan Harmon man
>>
Why does it bother you that much?
>Lame joke
>FUCKING RUINED!!!!
Fuck off
>>
>>87349663
>Enjoy your Sub-Mariner
Never ever. Universal is probably still being shits about it, and the last we heard, the rights are still a tangled mess.
>>
>>Beyonce joke
>>Eminem Joke
>>Adele joke
These were all the same joke you just listed them separately to make your list longer
>>
>>87349735
>quipping

Read comics you silly faggot.
>>
The lamest thing about all Marvel movies is how much dad rock they use. GotG is the worst offender, but Strange has Pink Faggot on the soundtrack. True horror is knowing that over-rated, over-played buttrock from the 20th century will never die because it was the first time toxic aural memes were promoted globally. Fucking garbage
>>
>>87349663
>>
>>87349842
Nothing wrong with classic rock. Go listen to your dance mix, junior.
>>
>>87349469
Yea but a character called THE JOKER was the main villain
>>
>>87349412
It was a serious film with some levity, you dumb cunt.

Please go back your MoS threads to whine there instead.
>>
>>87349431
can you just

stop posting like a tumblr cunt?
>>
>>87349925
Where do you think you are right now?
>>
>>87349876
When it's 2016 and we're still using Classic Rock and 80s-70s soundtracks like their fucking relevant is when we need to reevaluate our fucking library
>>
>>87349890
So why Batman wasn't blind?
>>
>>87349953
No we don't. You just need to develop an actual taste and listen to music made for people with a reading level above 3rd grade.
>>
File: 1377452404393.jpg (45KB, 515x495px) Image search: [Google]
1377452404393.jpg
45KB, 515x495px
>>87349412
When wizards in bathrobes are running around a city it helps to have a certain amount of levity.
>>
>>87349953
>>87349842
Oh come on, GotG used it pretty well, and pink floyd is gud
>>
>>87349431
bill?
>>
>>87349984
Because blind bats are a myth
>>
>>87350053
As a funny clowns
>>
>>87350084
That's subjective.
But it is a fact that bats are not blind.
>>
>>87349842
>Pink Faggot

How bout you fuck off back to Tumblr while listening to Neutral Milk Hotel on your Dr. Dre Beats headphones you shit guzzling thundercunt
>>
>>87349904
But I thought this was MoS? Everything looked dark and the main character has a red cape!
>>
Marvel can't even have a serious comic nowadays without falling into quippy shit. American humor is vomit.
>>
>>87349953
they are classic for a reason underage
>>
>>87349953
>>87349842
>I don't like music that was made before I was born

Gotta be 18 to post here sport
>>
>>87350143

How about developing your own taste in music instead of of being spoon fed crap because "oh this is one of the greatest bands ever" And for the record NMH is almost as bad as Pink Faggot but has not been overplayed ad nauseum
>>
>>87350834
>How about developing your own taste in music

I have and it isn't determined by when the song came out, unlike you, you child.
>>
>>87349412
So MoS and BvS?
>>
>>87349412

Nobody is forcing you to watch these films, OP.

Nobody but you.

Maybe you should have a conversation with yourself and ask yourself why you hurt yourself like you do.

Or maybe you should just kill yourself because holy shit.
>>
>>87349412
I feel like the humour actually worked a lot better in this than in Thor 2, for some reason.

Honestly, in a lot of ways, I'd say that this film feels like it succeeds where Thor 2 fails.

I will agree that the slapstick didn't really work, though.
>>
>>87349840
Do you only read Deadpool and Harley Quinn?
>>
>>87349842
>The lamest thing about all Marvel movies is how much dad rock they use. GotG is the worst offender
It was momrock and it had a good reason for being there.
>>
>>87349842
I'd understand if it didn't suit the film but Pink Floyd is absolutely appropriate for Doctor Strange.

Hell, with GoTG it serves a purpose as an anchor for Star Lord and to remind the audience of how long he's been removed from Earth for.

The only superhero film with classic rock from the past few years I can think of that really didn't need it was Suicide Squad, and that's because the soundtrack felt so manufactured in general (both modern and classic music) just to emulate GoTG without really understanding why it worked.
>>
>>87349469
The truth third movie is one of the best comedies of the century
>>
>>87351331
It wasn't trying to emulate GotG and GotG didn't invent classic rock soundtracks. It was WB making a knee jerk reaction to the trailers and forcing the movie to emulate them.
>>
>>87349702
Why does light moments always need to be either references or slapstick in Marvel movies though
>>
>>87351465
Obviously they didn't invent that convention but the way that it was used within the film, it's obvious that someone at WB saw a pop music soundtrack on a comic book property and thought 'that's what we need'.

It's sort of like what happened with the Matrix. For a short time afterwards, a ton of action films had their protagonists wearing black leather and sunglasses and doing flipkicks. Executives tend to only take the shallower elements of whatever they want to imitate while missing the actual reasons that something worked.
>>
>>87349445
People are going to get tired of seeing the same shit eventually.
>>
>>87351598
They weren't all those kinds of joke, though. Honestly, most of the humour in the film landed really well. I definitely dug TAO's sense of humour; she was pretty dry, and I think if the rest of the film had that dry sense of humour it would have elevated it to the top of Marvel's film releases.

>Can you get that in a gift shop?
>>
>>87351598
Because audience and critics respond the most to them.

"haha the movies don't take themselves seriously, they know the entire premise is silly xD"
>>
>>87349735
>>87349840
Where was there quipping in the film, anyway?

Other than the Wong/pop music gag, I don't remember much; more Strange being a smarmy bastard than quippy.
>>
File: Baron-Mordo.jpg (229KB, 687x806px) Image search: [Google]
Baron-Mordo.jpg
229KB, 687x806px
>>87349412
DORMMAMU, IVE COME FOR THE WIFI
>>
>>87351259
>I feel like the humour actually worked a lot better in this than in Thor 2

It feels like more of the same honestly.
>>
>>87351687
Get ready for him to get killed off next film.
>>
>>87349840
Oh yeah i forgot about all the quips in A Contract With God, or even the latest issues of Flash and Flinstones!

There are ways to do humor without it being an idiotic quip, and most comics with quips are awful.

Kill yourself
>>
>>87351687
>>87351804
I hope they don't.

Unlike most Marvel villains, he actually has an interesting motivation going for him. I like that he turned bad BECAUSE he was so obsessed with following the rules, rather than being a standard cliché 'he chased forbidden power' evil wizard thing.

Also he was right
>>
>>87350112
There is at least one blind bad in the world
>>
>>87350143
>doesnt like Dre

kys
>>
>>87349412

As long as it's not as bad as Avengers 2.
>>
>>87351962
I love Dre but Beats are horrible headphones, anon.
>>
>>87351962
>buying overpriced products
>>
someone explain what Dan Harmon has to do with it
>>
I thought the wifi password joke in the trailer was pretty fuxking good. It played with the audience and Strange's expectations of what the monestary is like.
>>
>>87351687

Baron Mordo, first good marvel villain ?
>>
>>87352077
Nothing considering he was basically there to make cuts and corrections and as a sci-fi consultant before reshoots, but the /tv/ meme is that every time a cape movie has reshoots it's for jokes.
>>
File: doctor_strange_pink_floyd.jpg (516KB, 1600x954px) Image search: [Google]
doctor_strange_pink_floyd.jpg
516KB, 1600x954px
>>87349842
There's at least one very good reason for Pink Floyd.
>>
>>87349412
>levity stops a movie from being serious

you're a total retard
>>
>>87349842

Son, you can badmouth dad rock as a "genre" all you want, and God knows there's enough bad dad rock to mock, but you absolutely do not badmouth Pink Floyd. I'm not even a fan of the band, and I know enough not to badmouth Pink Floyd. Go rip on Journey or Boston or some shit. But not Pink Floyd - that way lies madness.
>>
File: 3123.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3123.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
DORMAMMU, I'M CIA___________
>>
>>87349842
"dadrock" and "buttrock" are both such overused and even nonsensical phrases to use. I've seen people refer to The Foo Fighters (a band from the 90's) as dadrock, and I've also seen people call the Rolling Stones (a band from the 60's) dadrock. Two completely different generations of music and yet they're both "dadrock".

And buttrock? What does that mean? People have called Nickleback, Def Leppard, Nirvana, and here Pink Floyd "buttrock". It basically just seems to mean "rock I don't like".
>>
I'll say it, I liked the way Dormammu looked. Sucks about Mordo though, I liked him. Though, I guess that means the actor did his job right
>>
>>87352707

I consider dad rock to be any music played on "classic rock" radio stations and was made between the 60s and 70s.
>>
>>87352707
>It basically just seems to mean "rock I don't like".

That is all it means. It's an insult, not a criticism.

'Buttrock' really does just mean 'rock I don't like' but I'll keep using the term anyway because it's a fun term, but tends to refer to post-grunge like Nickleback or Creed or Puddle of Mudd.

'Dadrock' has a bit more of a personal connotation, that the listener can't let go of the past.
>>
>>87352824

I thought buttrock was '80s hair metal shit like Poison.
>>
>>87352731
>I'll say it, I liked the way Dormammu looked.

I think that Dormammu works because the adaption actually uses the unique benefits of film as a medium (i.e. motion) to make him look more ethereal, rather than just changing him arbitrarily. That ripple effect was pretty freaky.
>>
>>87352707
>>87352824
They're exclusively /mu/ terms and mostly used out of pure envy and jealousy that the music has lasted the test of time.
>>
>>87352824
>'Dadrock' has a bit more of a personal connotation, that the listener can't let go of the past.

What phrase would you use for people who listen to Mozart and Beethoven?

For the record I'm in my twenties and like old rock music. A lot of these bands were already old when I was a kid but I like them anyway.
>>
>>87352962

>What phrase would you use for people who listen to Mozart and Beethoven?

People with taste.
>>
>>87352962
>>What phrase would you use for people who listen to Mozart and Beethoven?

Granddadrock
>>
>>87352464

why would they bring in Dan Harmon for that?
>>
>>87351361
You fart like a younger man, holding nothing back.
>>
>>87349431
You know what the problem is? People has started to laugh at moments they shouldn't becuse they expect Marvel movies to be continuously funny. At the cinema, when Strange tells Christine "I don't want you to leave" or something like that and then she answers "I have to" and leaves, people fucking chuckled. There were some laughs while the protagonist was crying.

Fuck that, son. I like humor in my movies, but this is starting to become a shitfest.
>>
>>87353045
Defeat has victories you.
>>
>>87351361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMIA2jvc1A
>>
>>87351683

On /tv/ and /co/, quipping has pretty much become a blanket term for any humour in a cape movie. It's lost its full meaning.
>>
>>87353108
Sounds like you know where the problem lies but you're blaming the wrong party.
>>
>>87353192
what should I blame then?
>>
>>87353279
Blame Canada.
>>
>yfw he punched those guys with his broken and bleeding hands
>>
>>87349850
>filename

fucking underrated top kek
>>
>>87352576
Meme humor ruins the mood, Marvel cuck boy.
>>
>>87353108
>At the cinema, when Strange tells Christine "I don't want you to leave" or something like that and then she answers "I have to" and leaves, people fucking chuckled. There were some laughs while the protagonist was crying.

To be honest, some of that could be teenagers. A lot of teens really don't like being seen as unironically liking things so they'll laugh at any attempted serious moments in films.

Just absorb yourself in the film and ignore the rest of the audience. They can have their experience, you just have yours.
>>
>>87353775
>To be honest, some of that could be teenagers.
So, like most of /co/?
>>
>>87353775
It's why I don't go to the movies anymore. The audiences are completely braindead. I saw Star Wars last year and about every other line the audience was laughing at something, most of the time not even meaning to be funny.
>>
>>87353108
>starting
You're a few years behind, it seems.
>>
>>87353820
Now you're getting the picture.
>>
>>87353192
>>87353108

Even the writers/directors are a bit confused as to why people find certain scenes funny.

In Winter Soldier, when Steve and Natasha run from shield, they go to Sam's house. Steve says something along the lines of "We need to lay low", Natasha says "Everybody we know is trying to confuse us". The writers who were just watching with the audience at multiple theatres noticed lots of people found it funny even though it wasn't written to be humorous. (See Winter Soldier director commentary)

Same thing happened again in Civil War, but this time it was just after Rhodey was shot down, Sam says to Tony "I'm sorry", then Tony blast's him and audiences laughed even though it was never meant to be funny. (See Civil War commentary).
>>
>>87353852
>Now
>>
>>87353891
>"Everybody we know is trying to kill us".
Fuck
>>
>>87353891
>even though it was never meant to be funny
it wasnt?
>>
>>87353891
Because movie audiences are total fucking idiots. There's still people who think the Fox movies are apart of the MCU.
>>
>>87354011
It's been clearly established that the Fox and Sony films are separate from the Disney ones since the first Avengers came out. It's why "give the rights back" has been such a big meme for a few years.

Need that false sense of superiority over funny book movies though, right "nerd"?
>>
>>87354234
I literally talk to people on a daily basis who think Deadpool is apart of the MCU. They think all Marvel movies are, regardless of which studio made them. Go outside sometime instead of spending 18 hours a day on 4chan.
>>
>>87354316
>muh anecdotal evidence

The need to feel smarter than people over trivial shit is pretty sad.
>>
>>87354234
>It's been clearly established that the Fox and Sony films are separate from the Disney ones since the first Avengers came out. It's why "give the rights back" has been such a big meme for a few years.
No they do not, that was why Marvel had to up and give a new "Marvel Studios" logo for their films. And who knows if it would even work.
>>
>>87353891
>, then Tony blast's him and audiences laughed even though it was never meant to be funny.
It's just the way he was blown away, it resembles looney toons.
>>
>>87349412
>>Beyonce joke
>>Eminem Joke
>>Adele joke

That was all part of one joke
>>
>>87349702

Even Shindlers fucking List had humor in it.
>>
>>87349412
Wi-fi joke was okay. The worst jokes were Strange's quipping. It just felt really unnatural coming from him.
>>
>>87351634
You let me know the moment that happens, sport.
>>
>>87354673
>There's fucking slapstick in every Marvel movie.

It really pisses me off.
>>
Hold the fuck up, Dan Harmon helped write this? And in Harmontown Dan Harmon?
>>
>>87349953
>we're still using Classic Rock and 80s-70s soundtracks like their fucking relevant
There was an actual plotpoint to the music in GotG, it wasn't irrelevant to the movie.
>>
>>87351634
No, they won't. You underestimate peoples stupidity.
>>
>>87355185
>When Strange traps Kaecilius with the exoskeleton prison
Really unnecessary, why did they feel the need to make it funny?
>>
>>87354559
I'm not trying to feel smarter, I'm literally pointing out how the typical movie going audience thinks. They don't give a shit about the details, it's just a couple hours to kill for them. You fucking losers on the other hand think this is serious business when people mix up movie studios and characters.
>>
>>87352912
>They're exclusively /mu/ terms
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dad%20rock
The standard set of albums from the 60s and 70s that every boomer likes. Boomers try to get younguns to listen to dad rock by loading up "best albums ever" lists with them. Dad rockers have no desire to listen to recent music and are stuck in the past.
Beatles, Byrds, Beach Boys, Dylan, Rolling Stones, Who, Zep, etc
by donth January 21, 2004

Just another time society has unfairly picked on mutants.
>>
>>87355070
There's a difference between levity and slapstick. There's no precedence for it, so when they just chuck in one-liners for no reason it stands out.
>>
>>87355304
Was that meant to be funny?

Other than the bit where he unmuzzles him, that scene wasn't particularly humorous. Even if people did laugh, it's more a 'haha that's neat' laugh.

People don't only laugh to mock; sometimes a laugh is a way of saying 'hey, that's pretty cool and unexpected'.
>>
>>87355350
>urban dictionary

Thanks for proving my point. That fag probably posts on /mu/ regularly now.
>>
>>87353891
>then Tony blast's him and audiences laughed even though it was never meant to be funny

it looked like fucking slapstick though
>>
>>87355464
That's just the terrible composite work that's on every Marvel and DC film since they have to be finished in under 2 years.
>>
>>87355393
>by donth January 21, 2004
/mu/ hadn't been created by this point in time. Even Wilco has talked about the term dadrock and how it's annoying the term is constantly used to describe them. Do you really think that /mu/'s big enough that they could genuinely bother a major band like Wilco through name calling?

http://www.spin.com/2014/09/jeff-tweedy-spencer-dad-rock-wilco/

And if you knew anything about /mu/ you'd know they constantly have Beatles, Beach Boys and Dylan threads.
>>
>>87355391
That moment got one of the biggest laughs with the audience I was with. Only Wong moments got more laughs.
>>
>>87355248
He didn't write the script but he definitely helped with re-shoots and the dialogue

I assume he was recommended by the Russo bros since they used to work together and all
>>
>>87355351
>>87355351

There's precedence in it for it being an MCU movie. You know what they're going to be like before you go into them. If you're triggered by the humor it's your on fault for seeing the film in the first place.
>>
>>87353891
>Everyone we know is trying to kill us

How is that not a joke? It reads like a typical humorous exaggeration. Clearly the other Avengers, their family members, even many SHIELD agents like Sharon and Hill weren't try to kill them. How else am I supposed to interpret her use of "everyone" if not as an attempt at humor?
>>
>>87355256
More than that, the music was basically the backbone of the movie. If you excised it it would cause the entire movie to fall flat
>>
>>87355321
>You fucking losers on the other hand think this is serious business when people mix up movie studios and characters.

This is some serious projection going on right after you just said the audience is stupid for not knowing which studios produce which movies (and like I said most people understand the Fox/Sony/Disney rights).
>>
>>87355565
>He didn't write the script but he definitely helped with re-shoots and the dialogue

Weirdly, I feel like it's the more serious parts that bear his watermark, not the comedic parts.

The dramatic theme of someone being pretty insignificant in a multiverse of possibilities reminds of Rick and Morty.
>>
>>87355594
I don't see them though. I haven't watched one since Iron Man 3.
>>
>>87355619

Go blame the writers for doing a poor job.
>>
>>87351465
>It wasn't trying to emulate GotG
>Suicide Squad members start talking about how they're a family and shit

yeah that's what everyone went to the Skwad movie to see
>>
>>87355688

Then stop fucking moaning faggot.
>>
>>87354316
>>87354316
A part=/=apart.
>>
>>87355351
>one liners in slapstick
Jesus Christ anon, try to keep your shitposting coherent.
>>
>>87355548
>That moment got one of the biggest laughs with the audience I was with. Only Wong moments got more laughs.
It is just an exaggerated full-body trap that one can believe Bugs Bunny built it.
>>
>>87355158
>Enjoying something makes someone stupid.
>>
>>87351465
I'm at uni and I know people who have the GOTG soundtrack on their ipods and phones. Hell I know of at least 2 people who own it on vinyl. Most of them are normies.

GOTG's soundtrack wasn't lost on people, and it certainly wasn't lost on movie execs.
>>
>>87351634

>Dr. Strange making bank overseas

No, they're not.
>>
>>87351634
South Park literally has a plot point with the member berries being all about people wanting to be given the same old crap that they like before.

Member Star Wars?
Member Star Trek?
Member Ghost Busters?
Member Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
Member Transformers?
Member Power Rangers?

Oh yeah I member.

I mean you can call the member berries obnoxious or unfunny, but the point being made isn't wrong
>>
>Hiring Dan Harmon instead of Roiland
>>
>>87351962
Dre is great

Beats by Dre aren't completely awful headphones but they're disgustingly overpriced for what they are and for the same price you could get far superior pairs.
>>
File: 1418189248497.png (476KB, 574x413px) Image search: [Google]
1418189248497.png
476KB, 574x413px
>>87349412
>I don't like it when I'm reminded that the comics that I love are inherently silly and were originally marketed towards kids and young teenagers

FTFY

I blame books such as TDKR and Watchmen and the like for giving people the notion that superhero comics are somehow not silly, but really for mature grownups. Not only did it give rise to the laughably over the top "dark and mature" 90's angle, but its raised at least 2 generations of people who get their knickers in a twist every time someone points out, quite rightly, that Batman is for fucking kids.

Now I'm not trying to play some uber mature wanker who thinks he's above it all. I fucking love plenty of comics by the big two but I don't pretend to myself that they're supposed to be mature and serious.

Also the Wi-Fi joke was
1, fine
2, Informed the audience that TAO's shaolin eastern mysticism inspired temple isn't on some "let go of your modern trappings, embrace tradition" type bollocks, as would be the stereotype.

Finally, the Adele and Eminem references were part of the same joke. But sure, try and pretend there are more areas of contention for you if it makes you feel more comfortable.
>>
>DCfans still btfo
xDD
>>
>>87355647
>most people understand the Fox/Sony/Disney rights
No, they really don't.
>>
>>87353440
Thank you man
>>
>>87356787
I bet you've never read a comic in your life. Comics haven't been for kids for over 30 years.
>>
File: Jameson.jpg (20KB, 517x359px) Image search: [Google]
Jameson.jpg
20KB, 517x359px
>>87349412
>A big part of how the shared Marvel universe first took off the ground back in the 60's hey day was down to the unified style they had in that with Stan Lee being in some sort of capacity around the books (probably far less than he admits) they had a distinct in house style that meant if you enjoyed the style of one book, you were likely to enjoy the next.

>People complain that 65ish years later, that the Marvel Movies have a distinct in house style that means that if you like one, you're probably likely to enjoy the rest.

>People complain that Marvel would dare use this true tried and tested style on Doctor Strange of all fucking characters, someone who has never been a particularly massive seller for Marvel

I mean fuck, do you want them to share characteristic with the original comics or not?
>>
>>87356988
I'd prefer it if they tried to make good movies instead of forgettable garbage.
>>
The jokes were pretty crap. Also the villain driven by a hatred of death and impermanence was explored better in Age of Ultron.
>>
>>87356988
The house style obly exosted because there was a grand total of like 6 people working on the books it was not crafted
>>
>>87356952
That doesn't mean they have to stay not-for-kids forever, anon. Hell, that's why the MCU is so successful and why comics sales have been declining so heavily for so long that and fucking diamond.

Hell, I still wouldn't call the current MCU films just 'for kids'. They're family films. Of course they're not going to be particularly grim.
>>
File: Swamp thing no.jpg (118KB, 683x933px) Image search: [Google]
Swamp thing no.jpg
118KB, 683x933px
>>87356952
In which my point is proven.

In what way is Marvels current output not relatively all ages friendly?

In what way is most of DC's current output not?

Superhero comics are childish melodramas that are rarely, if ever marketed beyond the reach of literal 10 year olds.

I love superhero comics. Embrace the immaturity of it, because most people, even "normies" have something they're immature about
>>
>>87357035
>why comics sales have been declining so heavily for so long that and fucking diamond.
BUT THEY'VE SEEN A RISE IN SALES THAT HAS TOTALLY NOT BEEN BLOATED BY RELAUNCHES, VARIANTS, OR DOUBLE SHIPPING.
>>
>>87357010
>Implying the Marvel Movies aren't this generations fucking Star Wars

Alright anon. I'm sure this sudden surge in making superhero movies has nothing to do with Marvel laughing all the way to the bank each time they release one.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with The Avengers being one of the highest grossing films of all time.

What were once B-lister characters are now household names.

I know normies who know who the fuck Groot is now for fucks sake.

You don't have to like them, but they aren't "forgettable" to the general public.
>>
>>87357010
Doesn't matter if they're forgettable as long as people still roll out for each new one. They but out 2-3 movies each year now, doesn't matter if people remember them, in a few months there's a new one.
>>
>>87349412
LOL

Just watch the DCEU If you want a serious movie that treats its characters with respect.
>>
>>87355070
That whole movie was a joke.
>>
File: Worry.jpg (11KB, 192x245px) Image search: [Google]
Worry.jpg
11KB, 192x245px
>>87357010
>T-they're forgettable
>T-this is totally gonna be the one that fails r-right?
>>
>>87357096
>>Implying the Marvel Movies aren't this generations fucking Star Wars
Not even fucking close, and Episode 7 proved that.

>Alright anon. I'm sure this sudden surge in making superhero movies has nothing to do with Marvel laughing all the way to the bank each time they release one.
I don't care how much money Marvel makes, I'm not invested in them.

>I'm sure it has nothing to do with The Avengers being one of the highest grossing films of all time.
So? It'll get surpassed like every other top grossing movie, it doesn't last forever.

>What were once B-lister characters are now household names.
I don't know what fucking world you shut-ins lived in, but all these characters have been known forever, most of them already having had TV shows, cartoons, video games and/or movies.

>I know normies who know who the fuck Groot is now for fucks sake.
Why is this a big deal to you? It's not like fictional characters were invented in comic books. Weird characters have been popular prior to capeshit movies.

>You don't have to like them, but they aren't "forgettable" to the general public.
The big team up movies might not be, but who the fuck remembers Thor 2 or Incredible Hulk?

>>87357130
I like how you guys justify shitty movies by them being popular or making money. Like you need validation for liking shit.
>>
>>87357030
Why the house style existed is irrelevant. The fact is it did and its definitely a contributing factor that helped make everything seem interlinked
>>
Soul gem confirmed for Thor 3 or what?
>>
Why did Thor not recognize the sorcerer supreme? How was he not aware that there were spellcasters that guarded the earth for thousands of years?
>>
>>87357096
Marvel isn't Star Wars, even Star Wars isn't Star Wars anymore. Both franchises are now committed to putting out movies every year until people stop going, they just aren't special anymore. The original Star Wars trilogy was just three movies that were all the Star Wars anyone had for almost 20 years. That's how something becomes iconic. Now none of the individual movies even matter anymore.
>>87357212
>I like how you guys justify shitty movies by them being popular or making money

I wasn't saying it was good, I was just saying that's how it is now.
>>
>>87357205
>forgettable is the same as flopping

Just because a movie makes money doesn't mean it has any lasting value.
>>
>>87357231
You implied it was successful because it was crafted and thus they should intentionally do it again
Fuck off
>>
File: Givin it bifters.jpg (34KB, 599x414px) Image search: [Google]
Givin it bifters.jpg
34KB, 599x414px
>>87357288
When I said Star Wars, I meant in terms of the way that its been merchandised and in terms of the way that its been embedded into the pop culture of this generation of kids.

The Marvel Movies are going to be looked back upon as fondly as films like Back to the Future or Ghostbusters or Indiana Jones or Star Wars are today. You might not think they are as good as those films, and you probably have a decent case there, but to kids growing up today, these will be their childhood favourite films.

Anybody who can't see that either has never met a kid of today or is just being deliberately obtuse
>>
File: OH SHIT, Oh shit!.jpg (85KB, 1024x436px) Image search: [Google]
OH SHIT, Oh shit!.jpg
85KB, 1024x436px
So, while he was on the phone in his car (before he crashed), I noticed they were talking about the guy who was in the prototype Hammer suit from IM2, but was the chick with the implant in her head meant to be a reference to something as well?
>>
>>87357237
>Soul gem confirmed for Thor 3 or what?

It has been for a while, I think. It's pretty much Hela's endgame and betrays Loki for it.
>>
>>87356312
But no one wants new Ghostbusters :^)
>>
>>87357448
People wanted Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast for years.
>>
>>87357416
> noticed they were talking about the guy who was in the prototype Hammer suit from IM2,
No it wasn't

>While some believe this to be Rhodey, aka War Machine, who was paralysed during the events of Civil, or perhaps the test pilot we saw using one of Justin Hammer’s knock-off suits in Iron Man2, director Scott Derrickson told us it’s neither.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/10/26/13-coolest-doctor-strange-easter-eggs-references-and-trivia?page=2
>>
>>87357485

Oh. Well that sucks. Way to kill fun, Scott!
>>
>>87357440
>>87357237
Heimdall is going to have something to do with the Soul Gem.

Only gem colour that hasn't been taken is the orange gem, and Heimdall's eyes glow orange. The reason he can see everyone in the universe is because he can see all of their souls.
>>
>>87357440

Hela's probably after the tesseract, theres been a set photo of Thor with it in its tube
>>
>>87357378
I implied nothing of the sort. I said it helped make the then burgeoning Marvel Universe feel interlinked, I never said it was a conscious decision made by any kind of intentional planning.

Sometimes the recipe for success comes about purely by accident or by convenience.
>>
>>87357556
>the universe only has 10 trillion sentient beings
how? does marvel not know how enormous the universe is?
>>
>>87357622
Ignore big numbers that comic book writers throw around, anon. Past a billion what writers mean to say is 'a damn lot'.
>>
>>87357379
>The Marvel Movies are going to be looked back upon as fondly as films like Back to the Future or Ghostbusters or Indiana Jones or Star Wars are today
No they won't. People already forget about these movies after a few days.

They're this generation's westerns and musicals.
>>
>>87357656
Don't talk shit about westerns.
MCU flicks are this generation's horror movies.
>>
File: Heimdall-TTDW.jpg (765KB, 1920x805px) Image search: [Google]
Heimdall-TTDW.jpg
765KB, 1920x805px
>>87357556
>and Heimdall's eyes glow orange

They're orange colored, but they don't glow.

>The reason he can see everyone in the universe is because he can see all of their souls.

Except his sight isn't limited to people though. He was able to look into far space to see the Convergence in it's entirety. He can look at the universe itself. He's basically Hubble dialed to 1,000,000,000.
>>
>>87356988
Are you saying a faithful Dr Strange that has a different tone from the rest of the Marvel universe would be too much for casuals to handle? I don't think so.
>>
>>87357656
>>87357379
Iron Man and Avengers are unquestionably Back to the Future and Ghostbusters, but you're right about them not being that important in the grand scheme of things for the most part.
>>
>>87357570
>Hela's probably after the tesseract

Or both. All I know as far as the infinity stones goes is that the Soul Stone is the mcguffin of Ragnarok. Though it doesn't surprise me at all if the Cosmic Cube gets brought up.
>>
>>87357698
No because only young women watch horror movies whereas comic book movies are family affairs.
>>
>>87357379
>The Marvel Movies are going to be looked back upon as fondly as films like Back to the Future or Ghostbusters or Indiana Jones or Star Wars are today.
No they aren't because they've over saturated their own product. The only thing about these movies that will be looked upon fondly is RDJ as Tony Stark, he's the only 'iconic' thing that's come from the MCU. Not to mention Raiders, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Empire etc. are some of the greatest films ever made and were unique and innovative during their times. The MCU is not.
>>
>>87357754
>only young women watch horror movies

¿
>>
>>87357471
>People wanted Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast for years.

We still do. Mayhaps more then ever now.
>>
>>87357739
I'd probably add GOTG to that.

People really bloody liked that film
>>
>>87357804
Harold Ramis is dead, bud.
>>
>>87357656
They forget about them so much that they make a point of going to watch the next film that studio put out.
>>
>>87357832

I know. But Aykroyd is still around. And he was the one who conceived it in the first place.
>>
>>87357832
So open with them attending Egon's funeral.
>>
>>87357869
Numbers say otherwise. Most people only turn out for the team up movies, or whatever RDJ is starring in.
>>
>>87357749
>Or both. All I know as far as the infinity stones goes is that the Soul Stone is the mcguffin of Ragnarok. Though it doesn't surprise me at all if the Cosmic Cube gets brought up.
Or maybe, we could have two infinity stones used together for the first time in the MCU? It could be a prelude to what happens when they are all assembled.
>>
>>87357789
Its true. Go to the theater to see who is watching them.
>>
>>87357914
>Implying a film called Ant-Man would have gotten the numbers it did if not for it being a Marvel film
>>
>>87357961
Did you literally just start watching movies in 2008?
>>
>>87357915
>we could have two infinity stones used together for the first time in the MCU?

That kinda already almost happened in the Avengers, if using the staff to turn off the Tesseract counts.

> It could be a prelude to what happens when they are all assembled.

Maybe. Though from what I recall hearing rumors is that Loki delivers the Tesseract to Thanos, and thus setting up his role in Infinity War as an advisor to Thanos' assault on earth.
>>
>>87351634
Maybe. Until then, enjoy the jokes.
>>
>>87358209
I won't since they suck.
>>
I kind of wish the movie was longer. It felt like it was over too quick. Like they were training then suddenly a fight breaks out and the credits roll.
>>
>>87357212
I don't know what fucking world you shut-in lives in but most people over here don't know most of these characters and don't play video games/watch those TV shows and definitely not cartoons.
>>
>>87357739
>Iron Man and Avengers are unquestionably Back to the Future and Ghostbusters
No they're not. Not even on the same level of iconicness.

>b-but they made more money
I think Avatar is still the highest grossing film ever made yet it had little influence on pop culture except helping to revive 3D.
>>
>>87358339
It shouldn't have been an origin story if they were going to rush the fuck out of it.
>>
File: 1426467217270.jpg (40KB, 435x512px) Image search: [Google]
1426467217270.jpg
40KB, 435x512px
>Everyone itt is defending Marvel retarded quips.
You fucking Marvelshits, the difference between TDK quips and Marvel ones is that the quips in the former DIDN'T RUIN THE TENSION AT ALL. Meanwhile you have a closeup on the manlet's face saying some retarded one-liner while people die, with the triumphant music and the overall feeling of the scene not helping at all.
Also, quips are not sincere. When you adapt a Comic Book you have to embrace its ridiculousness, not making self-aware crap because it kill the suspension of disbelief.
>>
File: 1437579030955.gif (39KB, 216x200px) Image search: [Google]
1437579030955.gif
39KB, 216x200px
>>87353891
The lesson is: people are much, much dumber than previously thought, and nobody should feel any embarassment over underestimating them

Fuck it. I'm taking up writing again. My planning and overthinking will only alienate any potential audience.
>>
>>87358443
The MCU itself is a testament to Iron Man's level of iconography. Robert Downey Jr went from a c-list actor on his best day (at the time of Iron Man, I mean) to being one of the defining pop culture figures of the last ten years.

I wasn't even arguing their sales figures are a part of why they have the cultural spot they do, so that's a moot point.
>>
The real problem with the MCU is not the quips, it's that every flick outside of The Winter Soldier is the same.
>>
>>87358484
>When you adapt a Comic Book you have to embrace its ridiculousness, not making self-aware crap because it kill the suspension of disbelief.

Reminds me of sci-fi author Neal Stephenson on the subject of Zack Snyder's 300.

>http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/opinion/18stephenson.html

>Classics-based sci-fi is nothing new. To name the most recent of many examples, the novelist Dan Simmons published “Ilium” and “Olympos,” science-fictional takes on Homer. When science fiction tackles classical themes, the results may look a bit odd to some, but the audience — which is increasingly the mainstream audience — is sufficiently hungry for this kind of material (and, perhaps, suspicious of anything that’s overly polished) that it is willing to overlook the occasional mistake, or make up for it by shouting hilarious things from the balcony. These people don’t need irony or campiness self-consciously pointed out to them, any more than they need a laugh track to enjoy “The Simpsons.”
>>
>>87358339
I agree, the movie felt rushed.

They could easily have added 20 extra minutes on Strange pre-accident, training, develop Mads and even the time loop at end could be done better done. The loop could be have Strange say, this the 100th attempt, 200th, 500th 1,000th or I've died 100 times or 10, 100, 10000 days have passed since our first encounter, during the montage of deaths
>>
>>87358558
>Robert Downey Jr went from a c-list actor on his best day
Jesus fuck, stop talking. RDJ was nominated for an Oscar prior to Iron Man, he was a well respected actor that had substance abuse issues which almost ruined his career. He was far from c-list. And Iron Man isn't even iconic, it's RDJ. There's no way they can recast him within the next decade or two.
>>
>>87358484
>When you adapt a Comic Book you have to embrace its ridiculousness, not making self-aware crap because it kill the suspension of disbelief.
Fucking this, look at Raimi Spider-Man.
>>
>>87358652
I meant Downey was in a definite nadir of his career (and he himself has talked about this) until IM and Tropic Thunder helped revive it.

I'm genuinely curious, how old are you? I don't know anyone under 25 (y'know, the age range these movies and BtF and Ghostbusters were all marketed to) who wouldn't consider IM and Avengers iconic.
>>
File: u.jpg (93KB, 620x340px) Image search: [Google]
u.jpg
93KB, 620x340px
Clearly you've never made an omelet!
>>
>>87358719
28. And you don't just get to call something iconic and it just makes it so. That's not how it works.
>>
>>87358777
Then how does it work and why aren't Iron Man and Avengers iconic, other than because you say so (and when you say so that apparently makes it right).
>>
>>87358484
>Also, quips are not sincere. When you adapt a Comic Book you have to embrace its ridiculousness, not making self-aware crap because it kill the suspension of disbelief.

This. People always say that Marvel is respecting the source material, but to me it comes off as 'we think this is stupid, so we're going to have every character make fun of it.'
>>
>>87358793
By standing the test of time.
>>
>>87358905
Are you talking about in terms of cinematic quality? Then there are plenty of "iconic" films that are mediocre from a technical perspective? Are you talking about from a perspective for how long they stay in the public conscious? If so, then it's too early to tell either way but both films look like they're on their way to fitting under your definition of iconic.
>>
>>87358961
>but both films look like they're on their way to fitting under your definition of iconic.
Nah. Avengers is a pathetically shot movie. The only iconic thing about the entirety of the MCU is RDJ. People go to see him, not Iron Man, nor the Avengers. There's a reason why they've only crossed the billion mark when he's starring in the movie.
>>
>>87357237

Gaea gave the Soul Gem to Heimdal, Oshtur gave the Time Gem to Agamotto, Chthon, via The Other, gave the Mind Gem to Loki (knowing he will "fail" i.e succeed)
>>
>>87349842
It saddens me that you exist.
>>
>>87359042
>Chthon, via The Other, gave the Mind Gem to Loki

Except it was Thanos who gave it. We see as much in the movie.
>>
>>87359038
>People go to see him, not Iron Man, nor the Avengers.

I went for the Avengers. Granted, RDJ was a contributing factor, but not the primary reason.
>>
Just because their characters aren't all "CRAAAAWLING IIIIIN MY SKIIIIIIN" doesn't mean they can't be serious.
>>
>>87353891
>Why are people not able to take capeshit seriously...
>>87358545
No, you are simply humorless and probably not particularly talented.
>>
>>87355594
>If you're triggered by the humor it's your on fault for seeing the film in the first place.
That's actually why I didn't go see Strange. I was worried that the attempts at humour would again undermine characters and tension, when I heard that they had comedy writers on the script I decided I wouldn't see it.
>>
File: Capeshit.webm (2MB, 550x310px) Image search: [Google]
Capeshit.webm
2MB, 550x310px
>>87359253
I'm sure you did.
>>
>>87357656
>They're this generation's westerns and musicals.
I really want musicals to make a big comeback. I have high hopes for La La Land.
>>
File: orpheus[1].jpg (243KB, 671x510px) Image search: [Google]
orpheus[1].jpg
243KB, 671x510px
>>87349412
Dr Strange is pretty out there

He's probably the most ridiculous of the Marvel lineup so far

How can you expect them to be serious with it?

People who don't read the comics don't know that is Dr Orpheus from Venture Bros is pretty much not even an exaggeration
>>
>>87349850
That's an edit idiot
>>
File: V R PP.png (154KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
V R PP.png
154KB, 400x388px
>>87359373
>MUH HUMOUR
Right, because western """"""""""humour"""""""""" is such an elevated treasure in the first place.

>implying you need any talent
People eat up twitter post chains and tumblr blogshit like hard sweets. They even swallowed that #DraftOurDaughters crap. They'll literally buy anything.
>>
>>87357754
Shitty horror movies, maybe.
That might explain Babadook's and Paranormal Activity's popularity though, given how easily women are impressed by mediocre shit.
>>
>>87349412
>capeshit
>serious
>ever

wew lad
>>
>>87359868
You have shit taste.
>>
Nah the people made it clear that this is now the tone for CBM movies from here on out. I'm still salty about Thor 2.
>>
>>87359762
They'll buy anything with enough effort, luck or talent. You probably lack all.

Link one piece you made and it'll probably be the same as any other price of garbage anyone with an Internet connection felt it was thier misson ordained by God to publish.

Go shave your head and pretend to be 'redpilled' because you would be utterly unable to attract attention by merit alone.
>>
>>87359906
No, you have shit taste if you think that garbage is any good. I hate you morons overrating those piece of shit movies.
>>
>>87357763
>Raiders, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Empire etc. are some of the greatest films ever made

lol
>>
>>87360058
No, you're just a humorless asshole who gets butthurt when someone calls your tastes shit.

BTFO faggot.
>>
>>87349412
Guys, how do I into Doctor Strange? I've read Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom which just made me like Doom more but feel indifferent towards Strange. I read The Oath which I felt kind of ehh about. I read the old Shuma-Gorath storyline and thought it was silly.
Do I just not like the character despite thinking I do?
>>
>>87360141
Nah, you're just an idiot and a cancer on horror genre.
>LE BTFO XDDD
Yep, you're a waste of flesh.
>>
>>87349953
Yeah man, fuck Beethoven, that's old-ass shit! And who the FUCK is still reading Shakespeare or Cervantes?
>>
>>87349953
>IT'S 2016
when and why has this become a meme amoung brain dead retards?
>>
>>87358484
Strange DOES embrace the ridiculousness, though. None of the quips poke holes in the magic.

I'd agree if this were one of the Avengers films because Whedon is bad for doing that, but the worst the quips got here was referencing pop-culture figures from modern times.
>>
>>87360337
To be fair, it's a good point. Shakespeare is one of the most overrated writers on the planet. The only reason his stories have any significance is his fantastic grasp on English language. That much I can give him, but everything else he does pales in comparison to most other known writers.
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 188x268px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 188x268px
>>87349412
>have a serious movie
>for ONCE
>>
>>87360412
I liked it.
Blonsky is one of the few MCU villains I actually like.
>>
>>87358641
>The loop could be have Strange say, this the 100th attempt, 200th, 500th 1,000th or I've died 100 times or 10, 100, 10000 days have passed since our first encounter, during the montage of deaths

That'd be a bit too on the nose as exposition, but it did just give me a thought.

Given how long he could have been in there with Dormammu, is it possible that he was in there long enough that he ended up becoming much more magically proficient than we realise?
>>
>>87349412
>Can we just
>have a serious movie
>for ONCE

I mean why though? Why does every cape film have to be dark? Comic books were never that dark to begin with. For the most part the earlier depictions were always light hearted and fun, because they were aimed at a young demographic.
>>
>>87360401
I know right? Shit's fucking old, let's throw it all away and read NEW stuff like The Hunger Games!
>>
>>87349850
>>87353440

Holy shit that's a fucking good one
>>
>>87360412
I wish this movie had been more successful over Iron Man (or at least as successful). Just imagine how different the MCU would be today if that had been the case.
>>
>>87360451
Why does light hearted always have to mean funny, and dark always have to mean serious, in the context of cape films?
>>
>>87360451
>Why does every cape film have to be dark?
??? He's asking for one and you say every? And serious isn't the same as dark. I don't know how you could have constructed a worse strawman without completely lying.
>>
>>87355185

Wait he is? Who plays him?
>>
>>87360493
Tell that to Loki's snapped neck.
>>
File: 50ShadesofGreyCoverArt.jpg (47KB, 275x414px) Image search: [Google]
50ShadesofGreyCoverArt.jpg
47KB, 275x414px
>>87360401
YEah! Shakespeare is for old people! Let's go read something fresh and new!
>>
>>87360461
Bitch, you're projecting.
All I'm saying is that "Shakespeare is a great writer" really is a meme.
Take away his grasp on language and you'll see how little depth his works have compared to even someone like Dostoyevsky
>>
>>87360412
Ang Lee Hulk was better.
>>
>>87360523
>Take away his grasp on language and you'll see how little depth his works have compared to even someone like Dostoyevsky
>Take away what makes him great and you'll take away what makes him great!

You're acting like the only aspect a writer can be 'great' in is thematics.

Shakespeare wasn't a novelist, he was a playwright and a poet, and quite a bawdy poet at that. Doesn't mean that his wit and inventiveness with the English language aren't incredibly impressive.
>>
>>87360523
>you'll see how little depth his works have

Wow, get fucked man.
>>
>>87360495
>>87360502

>Why does light hearted always have to mean funny

Light hearted is the tone of these films. I assume this is what OP was talking about since that's what a majority of the complaints are about. Light Hearted doesn't mean funny anymore than it means campy.

Also, in the context of cape films, dark usually means serious in tone. In the sense that the atmosphere seems a bit more grim during the overall film.

Of course "dark" and "light hearted" have subjective meanings.
>>
>>87360523
>projecting
One of us does not know what that word means.
>>
>>87359225
But that makes Thanos officially the stupidest and lamest villain in all of Marvel.
>>
>>87360562
Damn nigga that's a good joke
>>
>>87360412
TIH is seriously underrated. It even has a memorable villain.
>>
>>87359635
>How can you expect them to be serious with it?
They could have taken him as seriously as Ditko did.
>>
>>87360619
Don't take that tone with him, BOY.
>>87360648
Get off the internet Steve, nobody likes you.
>>
>>87359635
I think that they did a pretty good job being serious with it, to be honest. There weren't many jokes poking fun at the magic itself; more at the characters in that world.

It wasn't deadly serious, but it was serious in a slightly camp yet straight-faced way, which made it feel pretty perfect, aside from a few dud jokes. It never seems ashamed of the magical stuff; hell, that's the part it plays with most seriousness.
>>
>>87360626
It was though. The emotion was really raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIGGyidGagA
>>
>>87360721
I respect what Lee was trying to do here but I've re-watched it a few times, and I still think of it as a failed experiment. Admirable, definitely, but still failed. There still hasn't been a director daring enough to properly take that arthouse approach to making a blockbuster superhero film no not even Snyder, but in doing so Lee made some bizarre and distracting creative decisions that just drag the film down. Real shame, too, because it's beautifully shot.
>>
>>87360721
>>87360412
>>87360437
>>87360493
>>87360562
>>87360631
>Both movies were generally all around hated and disliked due to them not being good
>However normies praise other movies in the franchise
>/co/ sees normies praising those movies
>"THOSE MOVIES ARE SHIT! THESE ARE PRETTY GOOD!"

The life of a contrarian.
>>
>>87360816
>Incredible Hulk
>Hated and disliked

I don't think I've ever seen anyone have a strong opinion on that film. Just 'yeah, it was OK', usually.
>>
>>87360816
>m-muh argumentum ad populum
>c-contrarians
I swear, I wish anyone who uses this shitty memeword got perma-banned.
>>
>>87360626

It was.

It at least tried to do something beyond HULK SMASH and add something interesting to Banner beyond "I dont wanna smash ;("

Weighed down and nigh-ruined by the comic panels and hulk dogs. But Ang Lees Hulk is far better than the 2008 video game movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnh2AplyKi4
Also that Danny Elfman ost
>>
>>87360957
The Hulk Dog fight is really good when you can actually see what's happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIH-yDuSGIk

For some reason, in the film as it's released, that scene is ludicrously dark, so you can't keep track of what's going on.

In this, you can see what they're doing. It's actually really fucking brutal.
>>
>>87360776
The canyon/desert fight is cool, though.
>>
>>87349412
>serious movie

Like, ugh. People don't want to watch a grimdark movie with no jokes. We just want to turn off our brains and like, have fun? Movies are supposed to be funny!

I bet you're a fucking DC fan.
>>
>>87361049
>For some reason, in the film as it's released, that scene is ludicrously dark, so you can't keep track of what's going on.
Yeah, that was silly. And it got even worse when I saw it airing on free-to-air TV where I had to turn the gamma way up to see anything.
>>
File: 1476125658891.gif (4MB, 491x352px) Image search: [Google]
1476125658891.gif
4MB, 491x352px
>>87360656
No one likes him but they'll praise a bastardization of his material I guess.
>>
>>87361438
>bastardization
If the movie is fun, it's fun. Fuck purists.
>>
>pop collar
>cape uses it to touch his face
>"S-stop it".
>>
>>87361744

>cape and Strange OTP
>>
>>87357485
could be an upcoming villian, like Vulture.
>>
>>87349412

Well no, you can't. Marvel figured out a formula (comedy movie with big action elements in it) that prints money, so they won't steer too far away from it. And now everybody always assumes every Marvel movie feels primarily like a comedy, rather than a serious movie with some funny jokes in it.
>>
>>87360412

Why do you think Marvel keeps pretending it never existed?
>>
How do mediocre cape flicks always get 80+ on RT
>>
>>87349412
Comic relief is a common film trope

They likely put those on the trailers so they wont alienate people who watch marvel for action and humor.

I mean, this is the first supernatural/paranormal cape we've seen in the MCU. It's a weird step for the normies who arent used to it. I'm sure it'll be mostly serious, like Civil War.
>>
>>87362474
>how do movies aimed at a large audience get a high meter rating?
I wonder
>>
>>87351634
People still watch informative murder porn and soap operas which have episodes numbering in the thousands
>>
>>87362474
There's a reason why movies like Fast & the Furios get high ratings

Hollywood figured out that most people are stupid and didnt understand the good movies they used to make. So they made them flashier, and dumber. Larger audience = more cash
>>
>>87362517
I understand why plebs like it. I just thought critics were above simple fanwanks.
>>
>>87362527
>informative murder porn
But it got cancelled. ;_;
>>
>>87362581
Forget movies, I still wonder how Dexter season 8 and Arrow seasons 3/4 have fresh ratings despite being absolutely awful.
>>
>>87362427
They don't though but nice meme.
>>
>>87358324
Doesn't matter. There here to stay. Hope you're distressed!
>>
>>87362704
>it's okay if it's shit, it's for kids

Not all of us have low standards, pedo.
>>
>300 replies and 23 image replies omitted

You guys are all faggots
>>
>>87349412

nigger
>>
>>87362723
no my dude, you misunderstood

you will die, with literally no one caring about you

why are you so mad then about kid shit?
>>
File: crawlinginmyskin.jpg (63KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
crawlinginmyskin.jpg
63KB, 400x366px
>>87362814
>babby's first nihilism
>>
>>87362856
fuck you Lebowski
>>
>>87352407
Loki here.

Mordo is small time
>>
>>87350459
where the hell are you from and why are you reading american propaganda books
>>
>>87350459
Have you ever actually read a comic?
>>
>>87350834
>Pink Faggot
hilarious
>>
>>87349412
>can we please have an incredibly serious movie about a wizard with a magic cloak and his chinese manservant

Sure, okay.
>>
>>87359633
I'm still waiting on Bob the musical, the plot sounded quite interesting.
>>
jokes were a mistake
smiling is a mistake
fun is a mistake

we need 2 hours of nothing but brooding, darkness, and dying
>>
>>87363541
haha, yeah. Just turn off your brain, bro. Serious things are like, so lame.
>>
>>87363634
>let me build a strawman to knock over
>>
>>87363541
Tao isn't a manservant. Please go read a comic.
>>
>>87356312
>Member Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
>Member Star Trek?
>Member Ghost Busters?
Those movies bombed this summer tho
>>
>>87362571
>A person on a comics and cartoons message board fails to see how people can be capable of enjoying things without any particular depth without said people being stupid

Wew fucking lad
>>
File: Smokin;.jpg (20KB, 398x298px) Image search: [Google]
Smokin;.jpg
20KB, 398x298px
>>87364868
Star Trek Beyond was alright imo

And yeah, they may have bombed, but they're trying to tap into that meaty vein of nostalgia that is typifying western pop culture at the moment
>>
File: Quips.png (2MB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Quips.png
2MB, 1200x675px
The action-comedy genre is as old as cinema itself, it baffles me that people genuinely believe Marvel is the only one that does it.
>>
>>87362887
he said good, anon
>>
>>87352731
>>87352890
im just glad he actually had a body unlike what some anons said
>>
>>87355070
Yeah, the holocaust.
>>
>>87360512
Stan Lee
>>
>>87360412
>you won't like me when I'm hungry
>not even a little?
>>
>>87360493
>Just imagine how different the MCU would be today if that had been the case.
Nah, imagine an MCU without Disney.
>>
If they had been a bit more creative with the magic (Most of the wizard fighting was just punching and more or stick fighting with cgi weapons, barely anyone bothered casting some fucking spells at each other) and if they'd cut out some of the groaners like what OP listed this movie could have easily been a 9/10.

As it stands, 7.5/10
>>
File: Nothing but trash.png (334KB, 308x459px) Image search: [Google]
Nothing but trash.png
334KB, 308x459px
>>87365172
The films are doing well and are usually pretty enjoyable. The humour in them is just an easily identifiable thing across all their films that people can latch onto in order to claim a self perceived notion of intellectual superiority over all the people who enjoy them.

Its the typical 4chan "its popular, let me tell you why I'm so smart and mature for not also enjoying it" thing

Not that it's impossible not to enjoy these films of course, its just a lot of the arguments seem to come with a smug sense of self superiority. Its not enough that they don't enjoy them, they also have to be intelligent for not doing so

Also 4chan has cearly lost sight of what the fuck a quip is a long time ago
>>
>>87360446
What is wrong with being too on the nose? We get a sense of how long Strange and Dormammu were in conflict and how long they both suffered
>>
>>87365354
Given that Dormammu is an interdimensional being of immense power, and the way they edited it so that we didn't see every death I got the sense that it had been many many many times.

Strange didn't need to tell him how many times it had happened, he just needed to keep coming back with the same line over and over for potentially eternity.
>>
File: Not bad.png (154KB, 301x441px) Image search: [Google]
Not bad.png
154KB, 301x441px
>>87365354
I don't think Strange remembered each death, he just set the time loop in motion. He wouldn't know how many times he had died to count.
>>
>>87365172
All of those films suck.
>>
I didn't exactly enjoy the film, the visuals were nice but the story was much too thin and the way that eastern mysticism was dropped so quickly struck a nerve
That being said the gags didn't seem all that out of place and they did add a sense of enjoyment to the film
It would definitely be unfair to say that the jokes within detracted from the quality of it
I'm beginning to think that the action genre as a whole just isn't for me
>>
>>87349953
This is what autism sounds like.
>>
>>87349412
>marvel
>serious
Hahahahahhahahahaahahahh!!!!1
>>
>>87360446
>is it possible that he was in there long enough that he ended up becoming much more magically proficient than we realise
I thought so, or at least better skilled with what he already knew. Dormammu hrew a variety of attacks at him (fists. mouth blasts, crystal things) so strange at least got a glimpse of his arsenal. Plus during his montage of deaths we did see Strange dodge and last longer against attacks that Dormammu threw a him the first couple of times which was pretty cool. Though the title of SS was suddenly thrown on him, he still has a lot to learn (like fucking incantations), so hopefully his next movie gives us more magic with a different look. I know it's a bit extra and kinda dumb to assume they would throw all this stuff in the first movie but I was kinda expecting more magical creatures to show up.
>>
File: jejeje.png (5KB, 337x193px) Image search: [Google]
jejeje.png
5KB, 337x193px
>>87361244
>>
>>87364041
He can't even knock over the strawman. A movie like that wouldn't even be inherently bad.
>>
>>87351872
>>87351872

No, what I read is superhero comics. And super heroes quip. They have been quipping for decades. If you kids had been reading comics before '08 you'd know this.
>>
I'm 20 minutes in and it's very refreshing to have them take the origin so seriously. When does it shit the bed?
>>
Any one digging the new MARVEL opening sequence?
>>
>>87366383
>It's very refreshing to have them take the origin so seriously.

No one tell him

But to be real here, why are Marvel incapable of taking themselves seriously? NOTE serious =/= dark, brooding and edgy. It just means they have the ability to actually believe in what they are making and to take themselves seriously and to do it in earnest.

Same shit happened with Ant-Man with the>this is so silly lol we don't believe any of this can be taken seriously. Please watch our movies.

It just reeks of insecurity or an unwillingness to believe the average audience will take it seriously.
>>
>>87366564
I'm halfway through now and they still have taken it seriously.
>>
File: soups.jpg (129KB, 824x349px) Image search: [Google]
soups.jpg
129KB, 824x349px
>>87351286
>>87351872
No, what I read is comics in the "superhero" genre. They've been quipping in these comics for decades. You kids with your edgy opinions of serious genres won't change this fact.
>>
>>87366564
Spoke too soon. Wong showed up and it's like they just gave up.
>>
>>87366383
>>87366598
This is some real /tv/ tier shitposting but I shouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>87366564
I believe the opposite. This IS taking it seriously. As in translating as much from the printed page, including the lighthearted moments and the quips, to the silver screen as is possible.

If they were embarrassed of the properties, like the directors and producers of the DCEU movies are, they would end up being too dark-and-broody and the movies would ultimately miss their mark and fail to properly translate the properties they were representing.
>>
>>87366605
>>87366564
How is that wrong? That doesn't make his origin less serious.

Fuck, what is this with those normal fag who think cape comics aren't allowed to have humor.

It has always been part of it.
>>
>>87366659
Absolutely this.

It isn't trying to distance itself from its immature source
>>
>>87366564
>But to be real here, why are Marvel incapable of taking themselves seriously?
But they do. having moment of humor doesn't mean they don't take themselves seriously.

>It just reeks of insecurity or an unwillingness to believe the average audience will take it seriously.
There is zero insecurity, they are just doing the story they want to tell and there is zero reason to not include humor.
>>
>>87366629
I've never been to /tv/ in my life mate. Just wishing they could go a movie without ruining serious moments with jokes is all. The TV department does serious just fine, I don't get why the movies can't. They take the origin and believe in what they're putting on the screen which is why I'm not that upset like I was with Ant-Man. This is easily the most serious Marvel film in a while, so far, but Civil War shit the bed with the airport fight being tonally out of place so I'm still hoping this won't. The Beyonce joke didn't bother me, but the part where he uses the portal to grab stuff behind Wong did a bit just because of how sudden it was. Like when Reed used his powers to grab toilet paper, but that worked because it was in a montage of silly scenes.
>>
>>87366678
Tell me where in my post did I say cape movies should have no humour? Did I say ban all jokes? No I did not.

Marvel movies like IronMan 1 and Cap 1,2 had a very good balance or are you saying they aren't good cape movies?
>>
>>87366720
>. Just wishing they could go a movie without ruining serious moments with jokes is all. T
But it doesn't ruin anything. Not a single joke was out of place.

You are mistaken in thinking that humour doesn't have it place in a serious plot.

>The TV department does serious just fine, I don't get why the movies can't.
Netflix and abc MCU both have plenty of moment of humors.

>why the movies can't
It's not that thet can't is that they don't want to, because humor and quip is an integral part of the Cape comic genra.
>>
>>87366564
>It just reeks of insecurity or an unwillingness to believe the average audience will take it seriously.
Normies have a false sense of maturity and will feel insecure if they took superheroes seriously. That's why normies love Marvel movies and hate DC: if they took them seriously, they would feel weak and childish. With Marvel they can say "haha yeah it's so retarded but it's cool if you watch it while high lol"
>>
>>87366801
Where did I say humor doesn't have a place? I would have thought mention the TV department would have shown that I was more than aware of that.
>>
>>87366750
Bu my point is, it's just as balanced in Dr Strange. yet you have suddenly You say the movie doesn't take itself seriously when it actually does and your reason for it "not being serious" is that it has joke, who actually are well placed and balance the movie right.
>>
>>87366826
> I would have thought mention the TV department would have shown that I was more than aware of that.
But you are contradicting yourself mentioning that seeing that the TV department has as much humour as the movies.

The part where you are wrong is to consider the Dr. strange didn't take itself seriously in the first place. It did.
>>
>>87349842
I fucking hate /mu/
>>
>>87366826
>>87366851
For the record I think this film tonally reminds me of The Incredible Hulk, my favorite of the MCU films. I'm quite happy about that, but for some reason I'm just bored. I think it's the antagonist that's the problem.

>rising up with the cloak
That was cool
>>
>>87366802
>Normies

You're not a special snowflake in a secret club. You're a /tv/ faggot who doesn't understand the genre because you started reading comics in 2008.

I know plenty of people who like the dceu movies outside of /co/, and they've all got horrible taste and no real experience with the genre. Just like you.
>>
>>87366720
>This is easily the most serious Marvel film in a while, so far, but Civil War shit the bed with the airport fight being tonally out of place

What? It delivered on exactly what everyone wanted. A big team up fight where everyone gets to square off against one another, all the heroes show their strengths and weaknesses, and introduces Spiderman (who is the ultimate quipster).

It was supposed to be a big audience treat, not an emotionally charged fight. Warmachine getting shot down was the "OH shit, this is actually serious!" moment and marked the transition into the movie's much darker final 30 minutes.

The emotionally charged fight was was the one between Iron Man, Cap, and Bucky in which there were no jokes.
>>
>>87365112
>all simple things are bad
>what is execution?
You're a goddamn moron. Then again, expected from someone who defends Fast and Furious shit flicks.
>>
>>87367073
The key there was "tonally out of place". The fight felt like they cut it out of an entirely different movie and, while awesome, was the worst part of the film for me.
>>
File: 1401654934155.jpg (57KB, 330x305px) Image search: [Google]
1401654934155.jpg
57KB, 330x305px
>>87359675
But this isn't
>>
>>87353037
Because he works on Rick & Morty and that too is a show that deals with multiple universes and paradoxes and shieet.
They could've gotten people off Dr.Who as well, but that would've been a bit too close to cast incest.
>>
>>87349412
M8 you're getting angry at transformer tier focus grouped mass appeal movies for being focus group mass appeal movies. What are you expecting.

These movies aren't art. They are products. Don't expect anything more than what they know works.
>>
>>87367172
>flicks
When you use movie synonyms as some sort of condescending comment it's time for you to leave
>>>/tv/
>>
>>87349412
At this point, anyone who criticise the MCU for being exactly what it has always been, and exactly what has enabled it's undeniable success, is an idiot. The films have a certain tone, it is a large part of their appeal. They aren't going to change that any time soon, and why would anyone want them too.
At this point it's tantamount to whining about action film having action in them. You are whining about a genre being that genre. It's okay to not like a certain genre but incessantly whinging about something you don't like having the audacity to continue existing is just the most pathetic thing. Grow up.
>>
>Strange wins without fighting
Alright, that sold me. This was a 7/10, but I don't really have a problem with it outside of the weak villain which really brings it down. It's a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, hopefully the sequel will be better with Mordo.
>>
>>87367445
This.
>>
>>87349412
we did

have a serious movie

it was called Batman v Superman
>>
>>87367241
>The fight felt like they cut it out of an entirely different movie

I don't understand this.
>>
>>87367563
>what is tone?
>>
>>87367563
It had a humorous moment and the autist sperged.
>>87367571
>>what is tone?
Something you don't really understand.
>>
>>87366832
Did you even watch the movie? Have you read reviews by other people, not critics but reviews by fans posted online. It's a common complaint that the humour felt forced and out of place.

Just because you thought the balance of humor was fine doesn't mean everyone else did.
>>
>>87349842
Am fucking 19 and i am NOT a fan of that music, BUT YOU FUCKING DENSE SHIT FAAGOT EATING UNDERAGE PIECE OF SHIT WHY DID THIS SHIT AND I MEAN REALLY SHIT OPINION MADE ME SO FUCKING MAD JESUS FUCK, EVERY STYLE OF MUSIC IS GOOD IN THEIR OWN FUCKING WAY, JUST FUCKING JUST.

i listen to clasical, hard rock, dubstep, rap, and so many other shit and am not a dense fuck like (you)
>>
>>87367930
take a chill pill kid
>>
>>87367745
>there's a few autists out there who agree with me so please give validation to my point
>>
Just got back from watching this and there are 8 jokes in the movie, I counted. 8 jokes in a 2 hour movie is pretty restrainted
>>
>>87368023
Thanks for letting me know you have no argument.
>>
>>87366968
lel

That's not even a response to the points I was making. Yes, they are normies because they don't read comics. What's so hard to understand about that?

>you started reading comics in 2008.
Why that year specifically? I would have guessed 2007 since that's when bingo bongo theory came out. Why would someone from /tv/ read comics in the first place? Your insults are incoherent and self-contradictory. It's like a bot on auto pilot that regurgitated a response because "DC" was mentioned.
>>
>>87368138
>thinks that "there's a vocal minority who agree with me" is a valid argument

wew
>>
>>87367493
Donner Superman (perfect example of light and serious) and Man of Steel were both serious. To an extent, Dark Knight but they didn't take the CHARACTERS seriously, just the movie.
>>
>>87349842
dad rock will still be listened to one hundred years from now, keep crying
>>
File: 2008-dark_knight-4.jpg (147KB, 1013x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2008-dark_knight-4.jpg
147KB, 1013x1500px
>>87368264
You acted like you were in a select group that actually understands the genre, and I shot your silly ass down. It was indeed a pertinent response to your shit comment.

And why do I say 2008? It's because it was the year that a very popular and a very serious movie was released. And because of the tone of said movie a whole new group of autists, like yourself, suddenly became interested in a genre that they didn't really understand.
>>
>>87368404
t. person who doesn't read comics

Look kiddo, I've read many comics so you can't claim that I'm like those normies. You wish it were true so you'd have (barely) an argument, but it's not. Thing is, it had nothing to do with my original argument. You just latched on to a word and tried to refute that instead. So either argue against my original point or concede.
>>
>>87349842
>they didn't play mathcore

SHIT MOVIE WILL NOT WATCH
>>
>>87349842
Who let /mu/ out of it's cage?
>>
>>87352912
>exclusively /mu/ terms
People use "dad rock" all over the place, what are you talking about?
>>
>>87368138
Different anon, but why does there need to be an argument either way?

He enjoyed the film, you didn't. You can't argue someone into liking or disliking a film.
>>
>>87367460
>spoiler

Yes, thank you. That was the most old school Dr. Strange thing they could have ever done.
>>
>>87368598
see>>87366659

I also see how you don't try to refute my claim of when you started reading comics. Probably because I'm right. You probably have read many comics. But it's a damn shame that they are probably modern comics, and modern comics are shit. It explains your current view of the genre really.
>>
>>87368749
I think the point was whether or not the movie's jokes messed up the balance of the movie. It's pretty tough to objectively decide. Anyone got any ideas? Maybe defining the terms and giving examples? It's pretty tough to know who's right.
>>
File: IMG_3480.png (196KB, 1790x429px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3480.png
196KB, 1790x429px
Thanos. "No Gamora! I am your father!"

Starlord: "Wait what...you fucked her mother?"

Tony: "Is this star wars now?"

Hawkey: "yep, we are starwars now".

"Cap: "Wait, i havent seen it yet, no spoilers."

Thor:"What is this, war of stars?"

Drax: "How can stars wage war? They are not alive."

Nat: "Really boys, now is not the time."

Thanos" SILENCE, PUNY HUMANS OR I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL"

Hawkeye, silently "We Star Wars Now"
>>
>>87368831
>It's pretty tough to objectively decide.

That's because opinions can't be objective.
>>
>>87368831
>It's pretty tough to know who's right.
You're both right. That's what you need to learn from this.

Sometimes, people respond to things in different ways, and both ways of responding are completely valid.
>>
>>87368925
>>87368976
Yeah, the difficulty comes from knowing whether or not this is something objective (like acting ability, bad volume control, bad visuals etc.) or if this is something subjective (whether you like the plots, characters, or genre, etc.). I can't decide.
>>
>>87349412
>Eminem Joke
>Adele joke
What?
>>
>>87369059
None of it is objective, in the way that you're thinking. Bad and good don't really exist outside of your judgement. You can measure volume and, to an extent, visual elements, but what informs whether you think those are 'bad' or 'good', what informs your response to those elements, that's all you.
>>
>>87368807
I see the problem. I was talking about Marvel movies in general. I haven't decided whether to watch Dr. Strange yet, which is why I'm in this thread. You were talking about this movie in particular. It MIGHT be the case, but I doubt it, that Dr. Strange was the first Marvel movie which treated things seriously. I was just saying that it made business sense to cater to normies.

>I also see how you don't try to refute my claim of when you started reading comics.
Because I don't know when I started? One thing's for sure though, it wasn't because of Dark Knight. I remember specifically not going to see that movie because I (rightfully) believed that this version of Batman was not in keeping with the spirit of the character.

>But it's a damn shame that they are probably modern comics
No, my favorite age is Silver, Superman and World's Finest especially. Gold is good too but not to the same extent. The only good modern comics are a few Rebirth titles (Super-Man, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Superman, etc.) Batman is a mess currently.

Your turn, big guy. Why don't you tell me what comics YOU like?
>>
>>87369096
Well, there's a distinction between "good" and "enjoyable." A "bad" horror movie could be enjoyable as a comedy, for example. Good is based on whether the author's intent was expressed to the viewer in a proper way, in terms of movies.

An actor, for instance, could deliver a serious scene in a bad way thus making it something funny. Enjoyable, but not good.

I don't think something like really ugly visuals, cameras that go all over the place, or music that's so loud that you can't hear the actors would be considered good (and it would be a stretch to consider them enjoyable).

I know what you mean, but I think there is a confusion with the terms being used.
>>
>>87369419
>Good is based on whether the author's intent was expressed to the viewer in a proper way, in terms of movies.

To you, maybe. But I don't think authorial intent is necessarily what makes art good.

I mean, take Upton Sinclair's the Jungle. It's remembered as a shocking expose of the meat-packing industry, but that wasn't his intention in writing it; he wanted to write about problems being an immigrant in Chicago.

>I don't think something like really ugly visuals, cameras that go all over the place, or music that's so loud that you can't hear the actors would be considered good
Probably not, but if someone DID consider that good, they wouldn't be wrong for thinking that. They'd just have an opinion that completely deviates from the norm.
>>
>>87351331
Ironman 2 was exclusively soundtracked by AC/DC which is far-and-away one of the absolute worst bands of all time.
>>
>>87370034
Yeah, I forget about Iron Man 2 completely most of the time.

You can really tell that they didn't have as much of an idea where to go with the MCU at that point.
>>
>>87360389

Mordo:
>This is the Staff of the Living Tribunal
>This is the Wand of Watoomb
>These are the Vaulting Boots of Valtorr

Strange:
>Yeah... just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

He basically said "My comic incantations are super ridiculous".
>>
>>87362427
Rights for Hulk characters, apart from crossover films, are with Universal.
>>
File: spinner-rack.png (220KB, 204x864px) Image search: [Google]
spinner-rack.png
220KB, 204x864px
>>87369216
>Your turn, big guy.

I can remember when pic related was an actual thing at grocery stores. I would read Jim Lee's X-Men, and I read the Death of Superman as actual comics and not as a footnote. My cousin would give me Silver/Bronze age Hulk and Spider-Man comics. I was there for the absolute hype (at the time) that was Marvel vs. DC.

I find it odd that you claim that you claim to love Silver Age Supes, but you have a problem with humor and quips being in a super hero movie. It's like saying that you like hot fudge sundaes, but hate chocolate.
>>
>>87370210
Because he's being inducted into this world. Note that Mordo, who's experienced, doesn't mock them. Also note that Strange mocks the conventions of the world less and less as he becomes more of a part of it.

It's a character progression.
>>
>>87370274
Not that anon, but the difference in Silver Age Superman and the kind of light heartedness in MCU films is astronomical. SA Superman, while still fun, imaginative and open to a younger audience, played itself completely straight. whereas the jokes in the MCU are more akin to trying to appease an audience that's more used to tv show comedy. I think both forms of lightness have their place and I like the MCU but it's not hard to see how someone could like one but not the other.
>>
>>87353395

you didn't pay attention to movie
>>
>>87360446
Strange doesn't remember the time loops. He just sees its effect on Dormammu. He doesn't learn anything in there, he just gets killed and then resets. Dormammu was the one who remembered everything because he's unstuck from time.
>>
>>87370418
Yeah okay fair enough.
>>
>>87349412
>Can we just

>have a serious movie

>for ONCE

I guess I will admit I am female since it is part of my point
inb4 I DIDNT KNOW WHALES KNEW HOW TO TYPE (Im 131 lbs,, sillllly boy)

I found the humor in DS to be fine. This constant need for SERIOUS BUSINESS IN MUH CAPEFILM really makes things robotic for me. I guess its guys who play lots of serious video games, FPS, just sit there for hours making headshots with no humor, I think they are just conditioned to disliking any humor. Apatheitc in general. Gimme what I want, nothing else, Action, fight, then onto the next thing. I see the same thing with guys who are fans of Godzilla movies. "Just give me Godzilla destroying stuff, I dont want to see and people, just Godzilla destroying things and military fighting Godzilla".

My point is guys get this tunnel vision of entertainment, and they are not aware that other people do not want what they want. Yet somehow they think anything that is not their opinion is bad quality??

No one is 24/7 serious and grimdark in real life. I know a good percentage of /co/ wants that, but I do not want an apathetic 2-hour video game. The problem is the SLIGHTLEST LITTLE HUMOR gets exaggerated by /co/ into "WTF IT WAS A FUCKING QUIPFEST". The hyperbole machine gets cranked to 11.

Its amazing how oblivious /co/ is to its own retardedness sometime. Tree clubhouse mentality, I guess.
>>
>>87370718
because of course, the only people on /co/ who don't like DR and want Godzilla to smash stuff are men
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1200x1825px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1200x1825px
>>87370413
>you claim to love Silver Age Supes, but you have a problem with humor and quips being in a super hero movie.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I did NOT say that. I love fun, humorous movies. What I want is for there to be variety in the superhero type. Marvel only has one type of movie, it seems, but I want different types.

The other aspect is "seriousness," which seems to be a problem. They don't take the content seriously (it seems) and always make fun of what they are portraying. You can have humor while also portraying the character respectfully. The forefront example is Donner's Superman: the movie is serious but has a light-hearted tone (most of the time). There are jokes and there are more grim moments, but it's all balanced.

Marvel seems to lean more towards the humor, but I'd like to treat the characters more respectfully. The humor is genuine at times, but sometimes feels artificial and disingenuous with the "look at how stupid these guys are; it's okay to like them IRONICALLY, but liking them seriously means you're dumb!"

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I don't think judging a person from when they started reading comics is a valid argument; instead ask what kind of comics they like and if they're bad (or if they can't answer) you know who you're dealing with. You know, the "my favorite Deadpool author is Stan Lee" type of person.
>>
>>87364057
I was talking about Wong.
>>
>>87370718
>131 lbs
>4'
WHALE
H
A
L
E
>>
>>87370718
>The problem is the SLIGHTLEST LITTLE HUMOR gets exaggerated by /co/ into "WTF IT WAS A FUCKING QUIPFEST". The hyperbole machine gets cranked to 11.
Works both ways. BvS had Superman sad when anyone in that position would feel sad and people called it grimdark. BvS had humor too, but nobody cared about that.

The MCU, I think, has jokes that are too blatant/overt: they take away from the film itself at times. It's not the humor but the way it's done. Look at the Dark Knight for example. It's got tons of funny jokes, both blatant and subtle, but it doesn't ruin the overall atmosphere of the film.

On the "being a girl" aspect, how do you know it's only guys with this mentality? Seems a bit presumptuous. This weird worldview doesn't seem consistent with reality either, can you point to somewhere in which this line of thinking is used?

>Im 131 lbs,, sillllly boy

Might as well post the rest of your measurements. I'm sure it'll help in your argument. Hair and eye color too.
:^)
>>
>>87363732
Nigga this isn't The Seventh Seal, this is Doctor fucking Strange.
>>
>>87349431
Haven't seen the movie yet, but honestly, not every damn thing needs to be funny, just like not every single film needs to be scary, tragic, or have some sort of an action sequence. I don't understand how people can consume the same formula over and over again and keep asking for more. I'm similarly confused in regard to people who do this with the cape genre as I am with people who need every piece of fantasy fiction they read to have dark lords, elves, and dwarves who talk like Gimli.

Superhero films are speculative fiction. You can do anything you want and create a story with any tone imaginable.

>>87349445
Man, the fact that this is a concern has convinced me that film is just a shit medium for superheroes. They cost so much that they need to appeal to as many people as possible. There's no experimentalism or actual creative vision in this schlock; they're cynical cash ins formulated entirely by a collection of suits.
>>
>>87372092
>film is just a shit medium for superheroes. They cost so much that they need to appeal to as many people as possible. There's no experimentalism or actual creative vision in this schlock; they're cynical cash ins formulated entirely by a collection of suits.

You got it. And yet, for what it is, Strange is an entertaining entry to the franchise.
>>
>>87370718
>I am female
POST FEET
>>
>>87349412
How do you know those are Harmon's additions?
>>
>>87372092
>Superhero films are speculative fiction. You can do anything you want and create a story with any tone imaginable.
Ideally, yes. That's what I want.

>There's no experimentalism or actual creative vision in this schlock; they're cynical cash ins formulated entirely by a collection of suits.
Don't get mad, but this is why I like the DCEU. It's going to have a variety of different genres with a variety of different tones. Guaranteed that Flash and Shazam will be on the more light-hearted end, while Aquaman was confirmed to be "darker than Batman v. Superman." Then we've got Green Lantern which will hopefully be a good space film, and Justice League which I believe will hit that perfect balance between seriousness and levity.

Say what you want about the movies, but the variety is still a virtue to admire.
>>
>>87372479
>but this is why I like the DCEU. It's going to have a variety of different genres with a variety of different tones.

Uh...the DCEU has been nothing but dark and gritty trash till the last second SS rewrite.
>>
>>87370718
>>87370718
it doesn't matter if your a boi or grill, you're fucking retarded for hearing that we don'pt want a to be a shitty comedy that doesn't make use of the best parts of the character and you go 'hurr hurr, u want teh grimdurk 24/7 serious no fun''

and Godzilla is always the best part of any Godzilla movie, that's why people go and watch Godzilla movies for Godzilla. the fucking teases and cutting away from Godzilla actually doing things will always be a bad decision from the 2014 film. it's only you retards who think that because we're pointing out a shitty balance that you think we we have your tunnel vision.
so congratulations, you're retarded twice over.
>>
>>87369081
Watch the movie champ
>>
>>87349842
Not a big fun of pink Floyd but they're perfect for doctor strange. Also the classic rock was important in GotG.
What about you just go listen to some pop or electronic "music" instead, that would be more of your taste.
>>
>>87349412
I do get what you mean.

I feel like Marvel is almost afraid to be too serious.
>>
>>87375015
Oddly, i feel like "too serious" is what kills a good action movie. Look at Die Hard. Can we agree that the first Die Hard is widely regarded as a piece of cinema gold? Loved by millions? Spawned a successful franchise, really launched the careers of not just Bruce Willis but also Alan Rickman? Can we agree on that?

Because, for an 80's action movie, it's pretty full of quips. I mean, between the hero talking to himself in the air ducts "come out to the coast we'll get together have a few laughs", and Hans and John bantering over the walkie talkies "You are most troublesome for a security guard!" "BZZZT! Sorry Hans, wrong guess, would you like to go for double jeopardy where the scores can really change?"

But compare that to the gravely serious "Cobra", starring Stallone, it's almost completely forgotten. Where dialogue is like "Rambo was a pussy" and... uh... Okay, so it's not big on quotable dialogue, but that's kinda the point. Serious isn't as memorable as lighthearted.
>>
>>87375263
I saw the trailer for the Strange and I really liked it. It was trippy and felt really serious. All those cool visuals and talks of mysticism really got me hooked. And then the joke about the WiFi, while funny kinda took me out of it.

I almost wish this wasn't an origin story for Doctor Strange. Like he was already established as a big deal in the universe. Like how I didn't enjoy Tony Stark being the one to give Spiderman his big break in Civil War.
>>
Just saw the movie.

Really liked it. Serious enough. The only things I didn't like:
-Especially early fights were martial arts with sparks fucking everywhere making it hard to see what was going on. Too much physical action, not enough magic.
-The joke with the vending machine during the astral body fight broke up the scene massively and took too long
-Idea of slip rings, but that's okay
-Passage of time wasn't that clearly shown, making it unclear how far Strange was in his training

I was fucking happy with how serious the movie was, how much actual magic was in it, great namedrops and the Dormammu "fight".
>>
>>87375263
John McClain was in a good situation to be cocky, since the criminals didn't know he was in the building and also had outside help.
>>
>>87372886
I did, I don't remember those.
>>
SPIDERMAN ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY, YOU DUMB CUNTS. PICK UP A COMIC. ALL HE EVER TALKS ABOUT IS SKULLS AND PAIN
>>
every time a capeshit movie comes out it turns into a place full of

>LOOK MARVEL FUCKED UP
>LOOK DC IS STILL FUCKING UP

oh and nitpicking.
>>
>>87375263
This isn't an action movie though, it's fantasy with action.

Not that I think the humour didn't work, but you can have fantasy be serious and have it work really well. Look at Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>87376428

LotR also has plenty of jokes in it.
>>
>>87376027
>whining about whining
you're a credit to your people
>>
>>87376599
It did, but they're not really remembered as light-hearted films.

Most of the big moments people remembered are dramatic or spectacular.
>>
>>87351331
Yeah I liked SS but a lot of the music choices were just eye-rolling.
>>
>>87352912
It's time to leave the basement, anon.
>>
>>87354316
They all start with the Marvel logo.

And people don't actually give a shit about your favorite hobby just like you don't give a shit about how I connected the wires that allow the plane you fly not to crash every time it lifts off. You just enter the plane, get ass-fucked by the security and fly.

Fucking retards. Jesus. Yes, I mean you.
>>
>>87369081
Strange makes fun of the fact that Wong is called just Wong by listing other people who go by single word monikers, such as Eminem, Adele, Bono etc. Also they're all in one joke, OP is being autistic. He calls Wong Beyonce later on in the film, and that one was pretty bad, but the first time he did it was fine
>>
>>87377148
Yeah, I totally missed that. I remember the Beyonce one.
>>
>>87367280
Namor's always been prone to being a fucking retard.
>>
>>87360401
>The only reason his stories have any significance is his fantastic grasp on English language.
He invented like one fourth of the words he used in his plays you fuck. He didn't "have a good grasp", he DEFINED modern English.
>>
>>87376009
Dr. Strange isn't Spider-man.
>>
>>87378645
Making up words and retards spamming them later is the kind of shit that pop writers have been doing since forever you fucking loon.

Half of the words you use constantly on 4chan are made up by random people.
>>
I liked it. It fit Strange's sarcastic, skeptic, arrogant and overall I-don't-want-to-be-here-but-I've-to character pretty well, aside of him I don't think anyone else quipped.

I like humor in action movies, it makes them more enjoyable. I don't know if the hivemind still blindly follows the "cape movies gotta be super serious like the dark night or we riot" meme or not, but it's retarded as fuck.
>>
>>87379048
The thing is, there isn't as much humour as people seem to think in this one.

It's just that after Guardians successfully and Thor 2 unsuccessfully loaded their films with humour, people take any joking in MCU films way out of proportion.
>>
>>87375763
>early fights were martial arts with sparks fucking everywhere making it hard to see what was going on. Too much physical action, not enough magic.
Completely agree. Despite stating early they were actually using energy from other dimensions to do magic, the lack of variety was disappointing. Yeah, buildings twisting and shit was incredible to see, but I can't remember a single spell from Strange, and I expected more energy bolts, element manipulation and CRIMSON BANDS OF CYTORAKK! DAGGERS OF DENAK! and the like.

>Passage of time wasn't that clearly shown, making it unclear how far Strange was in his training
The pace wasn't very good.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, visually it was stunning. I fucking loved the part where the Ancient One makes Strange travel through different dimensions. I think this movie was more about Dr. Stephen Strange acknowledging his own faults and becoming a better person and the sequel will be a proper Dr. Strange, Sorcerer Supreme story. I'm hyped for the sequel.
>>
>>87378942
Nothing you says takes away from my retort.

He didn't have a good grasp on the language. He redefined it.
>>
>>87379531
You're right. my bad.
>>
>>87376917
>They all start with the Marvel logo.
The Marvel Studios logo is different from the general Marvel logo now
>>
>>87349412
What did you expect from the co-creator of Reddit & Maymay
>>
>>87366455
It's too long and the theme is retarded. Give me back the 10 second comic book page flipping logo
>>
>>87349412
You don't have to remove humor to be a serious film. What matters is the overall tone of a film. I know you probably know that, and are just upset by what you feel is an overabundance of said jokes, but every film has to strike a balance. In my opinion, the MCU does pretty well at that. At least, the Captain America movies do.
>>
>>87357370
I would argue that many of the MCU films have legitimate staying power. Maybe not just by virtue of, you know, constantly releasing new shit all the time. Still, I have a pretty good memory of Winter Soldier, and Iron Man 3 was pretty good.
>>
>>87383247
There are a few with some memorable moments, but I don't think any are memorable as a whole. MCU films suffer from too much filler.
>>
>>87381410
You mean Memey
>>
>>87349412
The Wi-Fi joke was great.

Also. The build-up and execution of the pop-star joke(s) was indeed terrible, but even so the punchlines were legitimately great.
Wong telling Strange to his face that he isn't funny by asking if the people who laughed at his jokes worked under him.
Wong listening said pop music, not noticing Strange.
Wong finally laughing.
>>
>>87349431
>supernatural hero that fights monsters that would make you shit your pants
>weird cosmic mind fucks in every early issue
>Philosophically weird shit all the time
>Written by the master of "comics are philosophy" Ditko
>Finally gets a movie directed by the one man who managed to create one of the only truly frightening horror films in the past decade

Gee.. Wonder why people thought they'd be above Marvel bantshittery
>>
>>87356337
Dude Roilands batshit insanity is funny but he needs someone like Dan Harmon to reign him in.
>>
>>87386042
Wong laughing did make me laugh.
>>
camrip when?
>>
>>87349469
>Sonar, just like a-
>Like a submarine Mr. Wayne. A submarine.
Never fails to amuse me tbqh desu
>>
>>87386883
Maybe you should try to read some comics.

And you've got to be underage to find any movie released in the last couple decades to be truly frightening.
>>
>>87366602
>somewhere out there there's a parallel universe where Snyder adapts this very scene only that the two criminals are left to die and due to Superman's humor, it only counts as accidental and borderline "killing by proxy"
>>
>>87391033
It was very infectious
>>
>>87381199
Wow, such a fucking difference.
>>
>>87386042
>Wong telling Strange to his face that he isn't funny by asking if the people who laughed at his jokes worked under him.
That was pretty good. A joke and a comment on Strange's outlook on life and personality all in one.
>>
File: Vishanti.jpg (98KB, 539x465px) Image search: [Google]
Vishanti.jpg
98KB, 539x465px
>>87393607
That joke and the Wi-Fi joke for me were the best ones in the film because they actually served a purpose beyond merely making the audience laugh with regards to character and the setting respectively.
>>
>>87391328
>It was a dog
>It was a BIG dog
>>
How the fuck have you guys seen the movie already it isn't out yet
>>
>>87394295
it got already released in cockroach britain to my knowledge
>>
File: 1385810105318.png (99KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
1385810105318.png
99KB, 500x517px
>>87394295
Britain always seems to get the Marvel movies early, I'm not sure why.

I'm not complaining though, usually we have to wait for everything from America
>>
>>87394152
That one too. Seriously, the movie's pretty great at it.
>>
>>87394295
Do you know what a cam-rip is?
>>
>>87393607
I really liked that joke because it was an example of Strange learning some humility. He didn't stop being an arrogant fuck because "muh mysticism", part of it was learning that actually he wasn't as hot shit as he thought he was
>>
>>87393653

the only "joke" that's fell flat is strange calling wong adele and beyonce
>>
>>87353891
The way the scene is framed and the movement sam makes when shot by tony is clearly supposed to be for laughs. if its not then they need to rethink their framing.
>>
>it's a /mu/ and /tv/ shitposting thread
>>
>>87349842
>dadrock and buttrock
So babies millenials has created names for the music they dislike because its too old for them?
Kek
>>
File: thanks.jpg (38KB, 348x348px) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
38KB, 348x348px
>>87362814
>>
>>87393590
It's a huge difference, fag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8gBSy0W9LE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7oKt9-wIIQ
>>
> Cagliostro wrote warnings in his book.

WTF?!!
>>
>>87397741
>not liking the 70s
get out of town
>>
>>87394295
I saw it last friday in a theatre, Swede here.
>>
File: Stingy.jpg (19KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
Stingy.jpg
19KB, 210x240px
This thread is MINE too
>>
>>87397741
Dad rock and Buttrock are terms that have existed long before millennials came to prominence

I can remember people saying them in the late 90's
Thread posts: 490
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.