[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beer Brewing kit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Home-Brewing-Kit.jpg (116KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
Home-Brewing-Kit.jpg
116KB, 500x322px
So my dad's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him a beer brewing kit but I don't wanna get him a premade kit cuz a) he hates that shit and he appreciates the DIY effort and b) all the ones I see are overpriced as fuck

So I was wondering can I get all the stuff at home depot and similar shops or is there a specialty store that would have all the shit I need?

From his explanation he made it seem like all I would need is a 5 gallon jug, a couple stoppers, bottles, and ingredients, obviously, which I'm still looking for a good store to get them.

I live in LA if that helps
>>
there are specialty brewing stores. i hope that la has a few, my area has one and we have 100k people max.
>>
>>8915553

For the boil:
>turkey fryer with big kettles can be had at home depots. You can use your stove, but it just takes forever. You want to make at least a 5 gallon batch, and will need a 7 gallon pot so as to avoid spill over during the hot break.
>restaurant supply stores might be able to sell you cheaper big kettles and utensils than your homebrew shop, but maybe not.

Wort chiller:
>copper tube, hose clamps, and hose can be had at home depot

Fermenting:
>if using plastic, your fermenters need to be food-grade plastic, and your best bet for those, and the lids, are at restaurant supply stores or your home brew shop, if you can't find them at home depot.
>glass carboys might be found on craigslist for cheap from people who stopped brewing, if not, just buy them from a brew shop

Utensils
> like big spoons and whisks for stirring in shit and oxygenating your wort can be found at home brew shops, and maybe cheaper at restaurant supply stores

bottling and transfer of wort:
>can be taken care of by some simple plastic tubing you buy at any home depot, but brew shops sell some bottling tubes that are fairly reasonable
>bottle capper and caps - home brew shop

Kegging: home brew shop is your best bet. That or craigslist.

You'll want a hydrometer to determine original and final gravity readings too, and you'll need to get that at the home brew shop.
>>
>>8915729
Wow thanks, that's super helpful.

Regarding ingredients, is there a certain brand that sticks out? Obviously different mixtures yield different results but can I get them anywhere or just at brew shops?
>>
>>8916049
>ingredients

Depends on what you want to brew, but you usually can't find much better than what your homebrew shop has, or can order.
>>
OP, you might check >>>/diy/. They typically have a homebrewing general up at all times.
>>
>>8915617
This
>>
>>8915553
Stop buy a Local Homebrew store and pickup a 5 gallon kit and an extract/recipe kit, which will have all you need to make an actual beer. You should expect to pay around $100-$150 for the kit, bucket, stoppers, sanitizer, etc. You'll want to start with an extract kit before going to whole grain. All the equipment you buy can translate into whole grain. You'll need at least a 7gallon Pot for boiling 5 gallons.

If you want to do less and spend less, pick up a 1 gallon kit on NorthernBrewer. You probably have a pot at home capable of brewing 1.5-2 gallons.
>>
>>8915553
If you are willing to take a trip, check out ballast point home brew mart down in San Diego and I think they opened another location in long Beach

I know the San Diego location will have everything you need and more. Tons of variety of grains and malt, different yeast strains and all the equipment.

Plus they have their R&D brewery right on site so you can taste all their special releases and experimental brews.

Honestly worth a visit
>>
>>8915729
Listen to this guy.

Building together an entire brew system is better than the pre-made stuff.

If your dad gets serious about, look into buying bar steel and welding together a rig so that your mashtun, kettle, and whirlpool are all nicely spaced together and (semi)portable. Wary though, it's an expensive hobby.

>>8916049
BUY ONLINE. Go to something like Brewer's Friend and search for a recipe that you like and go from there. A simple pale ale or IPA is usually best for beginners, they're pretty hard to fuck up. Most of your fuck ups will come from not cleaning enough. Go to Amazon and buy a few spray bottles. Then go to Costco and buy a few handles of the cheapest vodka you can. Bam, sanitizer. You'll still need cleaning chemicals for cleaning your fermenters but you can get those at a homebrew shop. (Or you can make buddies with your local brewery and score some of their chemicals on the cheap/free.)
>>
>>8917415
Avoid Windsor Homebrew, the guy is nice but he overcharges like a motherfucker.

More Beer in Riverside is a good one, I go there.
>>
>>8916620
>You'll want to start with an extract kit before going to whole grain.
Yeah if you're a faggot. Extract is the instant tea mix of beer. Rip down some curtains and go BiaB and never look back (or a nylon bag with a pull string large enough to fit your pot).
>>
>>8917460
I do a traditional mash and sparge because I have the equipment, but the paint straining bags you can pick up at a hardware store for virtually nothing work great for BiaB.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.